Third Parties: With me, or against me.....

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Creating a relationship with Bethesda has been positive Skyrim has done very well, and getting Doom and Wolfenstein 2 on Switch helps foster a more robust widespread consumer appeal for the platform.
The new Fallout doesn't look too different from Fallout 4, graphically, so I think it's very possible that it'll be on Switch. That's another huge hit on their hands, though obviously not as big as Skyrim.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I'm getting tired of publishers practically begging for purchases as some sort of faux cuckolding. Make a game on a Nintendo platform, market it like you would any other big project, and let the chips fall where they may. Don't tell me "oh we have more in store, but only if you buy this one game."

Don't get me wrong, I'm day one-ing Octopath. But other people might not be into a Minecraft-looking turn-based JRPG. That's a pretty narrow market. Maybe aim a little wider if you want bigger sales.

I think a high quality, hyped up and nostalgic exclusive like this is their best shot at Switch. A low quality, maybe low effort, port of FFXV wouldn't do much at all. And FF7 Remake isn't coming until 2021 so what else do they have.
At the very least, they have the infrastructure ready and more games in the pipeline, I'd much rather support this test than any of Capcoms.

EvilTw1n

Minecraft looking omfg I might choke you
Not my fault they went for a voxel look. The visuals are the second-least appealing part of the game to me.
I think a high quality, hyped up and nostalgic exclusive like this is their best shot at Switch. A low quality, maybe low effort, port of FFXV wouldn't do much at all. And FF7 Remake isn't coming until 2021 so what else do they have.
At the very least, they have the infrastructure ready and more games in the pipeline, I'd much rather support this test than any of Capcoms.
I agree; FF XV probably wouldn't move as many copies on Switch now. And imo, this sort of game fulfills exactly the sort of promise that Switch always had - third parties who prospered on 3DS could move over to Switch and make A/AA-budget games. But that's why it's kinda silly to hold a sword of Damocles over this game. Maybe this performs as well as what, something like Bravely Default? 1 or 2 million copies?

Make a game for a more modestly-sized audience, expect more modestly-sized returns. And if the game doesn't perform above those levels, it'd be silly for them to follow through and say "well, we told you, we were only going to make more games if this one sold really well." That's some Capcom talk.

Fucking Capcom is not even close to this level of commitment. Are we just not reading this?
“There are several other titles that we’re currently working on for Switch,” he says. “If you could just wait a bit longer, we’ll work with Nintendo and announce them in the future.”
and the fact that they want to focus on creating original titles for the console, not Street Fighter fucking 2 for the third time in a row for $60 full price
This is also a company that is, or at least was, actively attempting to port FFXV, their biggest game, to Switch. Now compare that to Capcom, who dumps their games on a cloud server and throws it up on Switch for digital rental only. Fuck that, I dont see how you can be cynical towards this news.

Koenig

The Architect
This is also a company that is, or at least was, actively attempting to port FFXV, their biggest game, to Switch. Now compare that to Capcom, who dumps their games on a cloud server and throws it up on Switch for digital rental only. Fuck that, I dont see how you can be cynical towards this news.
Wasn't it the mobile version they were trying to port?

EvilTw1n

Fucking Capcom is not even close to this level of commitment. Are we just not reading this?
“There are several other titles that we’re currently working on for Switch,” he says. “If you could just wait a bit longer, we’ll work with Nintendo and announce them in the future.”
No, we are. We are also reading this.

"If Octopath Traveler does well and this is something that appeals to fans, we want to focus on Switch."

These statements exist in parallel and will be treated as such. I hope SE does focus on Switch. I hope the game is a smashing success. Genuinely, I do, man. I'm gonna do my part. But I am more than tired of the qualifiers from devs and pubs on this topic. Release those games in the pipeline and see how many of them perform well. Do not release a limited-appeal title of modest budgeting and use that as your If/Then/Else test for the entire console.

(If Octopath were to bomb, let's see how many of these several projects see the light of day. Gaming history's list of canceled games is not a short one.)
and the fact that they want to focus on creating original titles for the console, not Street Fighter fucking 2 for the third time in a row for $60 full price
A third party is pledging support to a Nintendo console.

...do I need to say more than that?

Last edited:

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Could be an unpopular opinion, but I would love to see an Resident Evil 1 through 4 remake with updated visuals, maybe control more like RE4. If Capcom did that, I would definitely reward them with money.
Sell them as packs, like 1-3 for $60, and 4-6 for $60.

I know Capcom enjoys shitting on Nintendo fans these days and all they seem to give us are old ports, and that this idea is counterproductive to us getting current Capcom content, but if they did something good with some of the older RE games, I could get behind that.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Could be an unpopular opinion, but I would love to see an Resident Evil 1 through 4 remake with updated visuals, maybe control more like RE4. If Capcom did that, I would definitely reward them with money.
Sell them as packs, like 1-3 for $60, and 4-6 for $60.

I know Capcom enjoys shitting on Nintendo fans these days and all they seem to give us are old ports, and that this idea is counterproductive to us getting current Capcom content, but if they did something good with some of the older RE games, I could get behind that.
I like this a lot because I do like to have updates to games I loved. And almost all the ones you said I would upgrad for sure Sjm.

Goodtwin

I'm getting tired of publishers practically begging for purchases as some sort of faux cuckolding. Make a game on a Nintendo platform, market it like you would any other big project, and let the chips fall where they may. Don't tell me "oh we have more in store, but only if you buy this one game."

Don't get me wrong, I'm day one-ing Octopath. But other people might not be into a Minecraft-looking turn-based JRPG. That's a pretty narrow market. Maybe aim a little wider if you want bigger sales.

The Square Enix announcement is great, but I too hate the idea of holding future titles hostage to a single games performance. It is really kind of a shady tactic, basically trying to guilt gamers into buying a game regardless if they are really interested because future support hinges on its success. Shameless might be the best way to describe it.

With 3DS on the way out, it only makes sense for these types of titles to transition to Switch. These games wont move on PS4 and X1, so if they want to continue to make them, then Switch is the only real viable platform. These are games that wont make the company huge returns on investment, but they are a steady flow of revenue, and the relatively low development cost keeps risk under control. We have seen modern AAA games rake in publishers mountains of cash when they do really well, but on the flip we have seen ho hum sales for a few titles bankrupt a publisher as well. The RPG Factory stuff for Switch is a safe bet, and fantastic news for JRPG fans on Switch.

GaemzDood

How's Fortnite doing sales wise? That game doing well would have a huge influence on 3rd party ports. It's not a "test the waters" type game, given that it's one of the biggest games in the world right now, and they actually optimized it pretty well (Digital Foundry only showed the worst case scenarios, watch VG Tech's video on it).

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
How's Fortnite doing sales wise? That game doing well would have a huge influence on 3rd party ports. It's not a "test the waters" type game, given that it's one of the biggest games in the world right now, and they actually optimized it pretty well (Digital Foundry only showed the worst case scenarios, watch VG Tech's video on it).
I doubt the company's going to release sales data for microtransactions, and that's the only way they're making money.

EvilTw1n

I doubt the company's going to release sales data for microtransactions, and that's the only way they're making money.
Surprisingly, there is apparently a way to track this.

====
"We estimate that Fortnite made $318 million across all platforms in May, up 7% from April. The majority of growth came from console, with mobile and PC both coming in flat compared to April."

https://www.superdataresearch.com/us-digital-games-market/
====

Their reporting is, of course, given a nebulous definition regarding its methodology, and is purely an estimate. I'm always a bit skeptical of fudging data to give investors what they want to hear (or what your majority stakeholders want investors to hear), but there's a baseline, at least.

Next month will have Switch data. If there's an appreciable spike, we could reasonably infer that it's from Switch transactions.

But...yeah. This was not some big third-party test case. Fortnite is everywhere. It runs on UE4 and is being thrown on anything that will run it. It's already on iOS and is coming to Android, so scaling it to run on Switch was probably not a huge science project or massive expenditure.

LOL LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
phew, yeah, nice joke Capcom
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/blog/2018/06/24/capcom-games-on-nintendo-switch/
“Q?I believe that if the number of Nintendo Switch units sold increases, it should positively impact Capcom’s performance. What are your impressions of the Switch?

A?We currently have Monster Hunter XX (Double Cross) Nintendo Switch Ver. available for the Nintendo Switch, and plan to continue developing other titles for this platform in the future. Additionally, going forward we would like to focus on esports, as well as developing video games that take advantage of connection speed improvements on smartphones and those that support ongoing visual improvements in televisions.”
AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

TWO things about this fucking article. One, that quote does not say they are developing titles for Switch. "Plan to" is accurate as its about as far as I see them going.
also, to relay this news and in the the next paragraph report that RE2 Remake is not coming to Switch, fucking mindblowing and hilarious.

GaemzDood

LOL LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
phew, yeah, nice joke Capcom
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/blog/2018/06/24/capcom-games-on-nintendo-switch/

AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

TWO things about this fucking article. One, that quote does not say they are developing titles for Switch. "Plan to" is accurate as its about as far as I see them going.
also, to relay this news and in the the next paragraph report that RE2 Remake is not coming to Switch, fucking mindblowing and hilarious.
So let me get this straight: they ask Nintendo to add more bandwidth to the Switch to support the RE engine, Nintendo does it...and then they don't port any titles over that just so happen to use the RE engine.

Even though the CEO of Iron Galaxy said they want to port Monster Hunter World and could do it, Capcom said it wasn't feasible...despite already having a company offering to do it.

Is Capcom really that sore about all of their past games on Nintendo consoles underperforming?

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Octopath broke a million lol
Great news hopefully it keeps going

This is what I want from 3rd parties, exclusives, exclusives that are unlike what we get on other systems... I don't really care about getting call of duty, nor do I care about an exclusive game like call of duty

In the same sense I don't care about final Fantasy 15,not so I want a game like that .. Octopath is like if final fantasy kept moving forward in the same way after 6...it is My final fantasy 7

So instead of Konami giving us one of the 3d Castlevanias or metal gears... What if they did for Castlevania what square Enix did for rpgs with octopath... That is what I want ... Not just me 2d retreads but a modern version of the old 2d style .. Like pretend that everything after the ds 2d Castlevanias never happened, and then just look at modern qol mechanics and modern graphical effects and think "how can we apply that to a symphony of the Night successor"

The switch is the perfect system to take that kind of risk on

Forget the existing big games make new ones, with old sensibilities

Koenig

The Architect
The three DS castlevania's are still some of my favorite games. It is a damn shame Konami considers them (among every other IP they own) to be leppers.

Goodtwin

I really feel good about this thread, because I presented this theory long before Switch became a huge hit. My feelings on this haven't changed much, and
I really feel like Nintendo needs to embrace their situation, and understand that they need to build real alliances to succeed going forward. On the same token, many third party developers need to make the same decision. There is a certain amount of animosity for Nintendo when it comes to many third party developers. Regardless what the reasons for that may be, they need to acknowledge it, and take the altercation on head on.

How many times have we heard EA's developers slam Nintendo? Just recently the developer of Titanfall bashes Switch. Dice had blasted the Wii U. Needless to say, EA is not your friend Nintendo. They aint your buddy, partner, or friend. Of course the PR from the suites will always come out and apologize for these comments, but in truth, this is the sentiment of the company. EA would prefer Nintendo disappear as a hardware company. They do just enough to leave the door open in case the Nintendo console takes off, but in reality they would like to see Nintendo die off as a hardware manufacture.

Nintendo hardware is inevitably different from the competition, and a copy and paste method of software development doesn't work. By supporting this more obscure platform, it only appeases a niche group of consumers on the platform that are interested in buying such games, and thus has limited sales potential. I believe that the mind set is this, if we stop supporting Nintendo hardware, we can persuade the majority of those gamers to buy hardware that they do support. In a way, by supporting Nintendo, they are supporting a platform that is really competition to the platforms that they are truly vested in. Good sales for AAA Western games on Nintendo hardware isn't likely to eclipse a million units sold. Its in their best interest to convert those games to PS or Xbox.

This is where Nintendo has to realize that these companies do not wish you success, but root for your demise in private (sometimes publically). Publishers like EA want to dictate what the videogame industry looks like. What kind of games we play. This is where developers have to realize that just like Nintendo, they themselves may not fit inside the mold that they have created. There is no room in this world for modest selling JRPG's, 3D Platformers, and really anything that competes with the trending AAA releases.

Its time for Nintendo to realize they need to build an army. Where does a developer like Platinum have the best chance for success? Atlus? Sega? Konami? Tecmo? Namco? Sorry, but the truth is EA and Activision want to rid themselves of these nuisances as well. Nintendo needs to make real allies, and come to the mutal agreement that their future is brighter together.

Nintendo Switch can be the outlet to really let the more obscure software have the spot light. Its time for some of these publishers to realize that the currently business model is bringing upon a slow death for many publishers. Konami goes from AAA releases on PS4/X1 to focusing on mobile? How about Castlevania for Switch? Nintendo needs to develop allies who realize there is no room for them in a world of COD and Assassins Creed on the Xbox and PlayStation platforms.

Nintendo needs to work with potential allies, and communicate that developers like them are all short for this world unless they help build a platform where those experiences can thrive a do well.
I may be the most proud of this post, because it was written prior to the release of the Switch, and well before anyone knew just how successful the platform would ultimately be. Its easy to fall into the trap of thinking that Switch broke free, and proved all the critics wrong. If it sells well enough, third party games will make the transition. Games like Doom, Wolfenstein 2, Hellbalde, Doom Eternal, Wolfenstein YoungBlood and the worst kept secret ever in the Witcher 3, but its just not reality. Switch is very very far from parity with the Playstation and Xbox when it comes to third party software support. EA, as expected, has almost entirely neglected the platform. Activision has yet to release a COD game on Switch, despite green lighting more difficult ports to Wii years ago, and Ubisoft has been reluctant to bring over any of its current gen AAA games.

I talked about Nintendo needing to look for real partners willing to make the investment, and Nintendo found an unlikely partner with Bethesda. Bethesda bringing over Doom, Skyrim, Wolfenstein 2 was unexpected, and the continued support with Doom Eternal and Wolfenstein Young Blood is unprecedented support from a studio that completely ignored Nintendo platforms in the past. Bethesda has made a far more significant effort than pretty much any other third party publisher, and hopefully it has paid off.

This is all important because I believe this is a sign of things to come for not only the remainder of Switch's life, but will also continue with its successor. Nintendo can bank on publishers like Capcom releasing ports of old games on their new hardware, and maybe that is more beneficial that previously anticipated. With the Switch also being portable, older ports that may have been poorly received are instead rejuvenated as a portable experience. Basically, because Switch is also a portable, late ports do not seem to pay the same penalty that they would on a traditional console. Switch's successor may be flooded with plenty of PS4/X1 ports, and that will be the third pillar of support for the platform.

At the end of the day, its still up to Nintendo to drive their platforms success with exclusive content. Third party and first party, it doesn't matter, but they have to embrace the concept that they are in the drivers seat, and they must drive system sales without commitment from EA, Activision and even Ubisoft. The blueprint has been created for at least one more generation. Portability and exclusive content must drive the systems success, and third parties will fatten up the library of games once the platforms success is more established.

Third party publishers will likely be a little less reluctant to jump in earlier with Switch's successor, but expecting third party software parity on Nintendo's platform is a pipe dream. Mobille hardware will always lag far enough behind that ports from the more powerful hardware are problematic, and despite the true reasoning behind it, most AAA games will not make the transition.