**TNE Podcast Discussion**

Cubits

Listening in, so far so good. I'll give my full comments when I finish it.
I will note though that these podcasts could be hard to listen to if you're not a member of the forums (People might not know why sknygy is for instance). Sometime the conversations can get a little too personal to the point where the viewer has no clue how to relate.
We need the tangeants to promote our ethos of community focus, and they're short and hardly critical to the bulk of the discussion. Little anecdotes are handy as they show a little more of the personality of the cast and invite curiosity about our forum community. As long as the discussion doesn't devolve into "in-jokes", then it's not going to alienate outsiders.

If we cut them, the show would be far too "dry", but we'll definitely keep them in check. I understand there's a balance to strike, but i believe we're well on the safe side of things.

Cubits

Enjoying the podcast, chaps :) also good choice on Dead Space Extraction footage, it makes me want to play through it again!
I'm a big fan of DS:E. It has a great story, great voice acting, and the combat is fun. It feels "bigger" than your usual lightgun game. It's unfortunate that EA are being pricks and stopping me from realising wiimote controls in DS3, and it's a terrible shame that Eurocom were driven into extinction.

Yeah, I didn't want to make it out to be a huge problem (because it isn't), but rather wanted to know if you guys were aware of the tangents.
For a while in the podcast since I wasn't really paying attention to the video, I thought you were playing Half-Life 2, but then I saw a Wiimote symbol and I quickly realized otherwise haha.

Menashe

I thought that was great. A few points:
- You guys seemed to be having a lot of fun in this one. Lots of joking and stuff, which made it sound more interesting. I thought the in-jokes were actually a good addition because it makes people want to join in on the community action.
- Loved the intro with Miiverse. Very sweet idea!
- Good choice on using Dead Space Extraction footage. Found it interesting to stare at but not too distracting.
- The audio in general sounded clearer. I'm wondering if we can get Jam to do a Nintendo intro. Something that's recognizable from Nintendo music.
So, all in all, it was much improved and quite enjoyable to listen to. If there was one thing we can add for next time, I'd love to hear you guys also get into an argument about something. Adding conflict besides for the joking around would make it even more interesting.

Cubits

I was thinking things would be more interesting with some conflicting opinions, but it's not something i would go out of my way to find. If it happens naturally, that's great, but i won't push it. I'm sure it will happen naturally at some point, but I also enjoy the conversation where we're all positive but build on each other's points.

I thought that was great. A few points:
- You guys seemed to be having a lot of fun in this one. Lots of joking and stuff, which made it sound more interesting. I thought the in-jokes were actually a good addition because it makes people want to join in on the community action.
- Loved the intro with Miiverse. Very sweet idea!
- Good choice on using Dead Space Extraction footage. Found it interesting to stare at but not too distracting.
- The audio in general sounded clearer. I'm wondering if we can get Jam to do a Nintendo intro. Something that's recognizable from Nintendo music.
So, all in all, it was much improved and quite enjoyable to listen to. If there was one thing we can add for next time, I'd love to hear you guys also get into an argument about something. Adding conflict besides for the joking around would make it even more interesting.
Majorbuddah is good a being reasonably critical. Maybe he can come in some time.
Or rather maybe they don't have to be in an argument with each other, maybe one of them (or all) could argue about a certain general idea in gaming.
Ideas for topics to discuss/argue:
- Miiverse vs Xbox Live/PSN- Discussion on Rehashing- Mario vs Sackboy (Edit: This topic sucks)- F-Zero vs Wipeout (Edit: This topic sucks)- 1080 vs SSX (Edit: This topic sucks)- Discussion on past Zelda games (Which ones they liked and didn't like)

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Dang all this arguing talk is putting a downer on me. This podcast was tons of fun, and feedback has been very positive. I'm with Cubits I'm sure at some point we will disagree but to have conflict just to have it sounds very meh to me.

Even in the Gaming Enthusiast podcast there wasent conflict it was just some great discussion which is what I feel that we have aswell.

I know alot of people in today's world love for the arguing. But like our forum for the most part there are alot of people sick of the back and forth and are looking for a place to unplug from all the "crap".

Now I'm not saying that we should have made alittle heated debate, but only if it comes up naturally. And other thing to with both our podcast and the Gaming Enthusiast one, the people in it much like the forum seems to really respect one another. I would rather keep the repect it tact than have to listen to some grown ass men going back and forth with one another for an hour. I myself would turn that crap straight off.

EDIT: Also we have worked very hard to build a community who anyone who is a Nintendo fan or gamer can jump straight into. I enjoyed plugging us in the podcast cause I'm very proud of this community here. I wanna tell everyone what awesome posters and gamers we have. So listen to this.

Say we're in the podcast and we are all arguing back and forth. Then right after we get son fighting were all like *come visit this awesome community and hang out with us. There is some great conversation and very little trolling or arguing*.

I feel they would be kinda confused from what they here, to what they might expect from us here.

Like I said there will he some arguing I'm sure. But we are still trying to plug and build us as a certain community. No need to put sell ourselves short on how awesome we are. We are ranked now 27th outta 9,000 for a reason. And we need to keep on plugging this onward and upward. Just IMO.

Btw, I edited my list above.
Matt, while I'm greatly enjoying the positive direction this podcast is taking with everyone agreeing with each other and everyone having a great time, I must say that arguments don't have to be the way you describe them.
First, let's stop calling them arguments as that takes up more of a negative connotation. Take it from a guy who has placed in tournaments in Speech in Debate, being "grown ass men" people would assume that podcaster know how to have an debate without it getting heated. Not all debates consist of 'owning' the other person or 'ripping' apart the other person's contention (another word for argument).
For example, let's say you guys do take up a discussion past Zelda titles and I talk about how I really liked Skyward Sword, but someone else says that it was the worst Zelda game ever in their opinion. I can still consciously respect that opinion and ask them what they didn't like about it. BOOM. A controlled and respectful debate has just been initiated where the participants talk about what they liked and didn't like and why.
I really think this would be great for viewers because the participants in the debate might be speaking for some of the viewers listening in (Essentially having that disucssion/debate for them).

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
These things are tivial tho except to the fanboys who wanna see people fight about Mario vs. Sackboy, who cares besides the people who eat up what the videogame "hardcore" media feeds them?

I can respectfully argue with anyone, but to what point? To show that I won over someone else, I'm to old for these meaningless things. People who wanna makes threads titled "podcasters fight over SSX and 1080 see who is the better one inside this thread". Just writing that makes me laugh.

Was me getting on Cubits about them getting the big 3 on Wii just not enough? Was me not caring about Lego city not "controversial" enough? Or how bout a real hot topic when I said I liked Dragons Dogma over Skyrim and called it boring not sensational?

I don't know maybe cause I couldn't care less about talking about that type of crap or reading it is why I don't care what the "hardcore media" and the fans who eat it up have to say.

BobSilencieux

Some interesting points brought up here. Of course there will be disagreements and different viewpoints put forward from time to time, but i don't think it would be a good idea to try to actively seek out controversy and conflict. I love the upbeat, positive tone and the joking and witty banter. The only criticism i have is that i noticed a couple of sliiightly awkward silences in the first half hour, like nobody was quite sure about jumping in... But that will undoubtedly resolve itself when you're all more comfortable chatting together, and even in the second half it sounded much more relaxed and natural. Overall it was a great listen and i love the direction that these podcasts seem to be going in - like a real relaxed friendly chat between a group of friends. Also love the shout-outs to members of the community - it makes TNE in general seem like a very friendly, welcoming place. Which, of course, it is!

Not for the sake of winning, but rather for the sake of beneficial discussion. Most of my example topics were pretty shitty. Nobody actually compares and contrasts games and characters on video. There would have to be absolutely no other topics to talk about to stoop down to those levels. I was just trying hard not to include stuff that leak into talking about graphics and power since that's not in your particular interest.
One not caring about something or saying they liked something over something else is just them having an opinion that doesn't call for discussion about. It's not like they said they believe Lego City will turn out to be an unpopular game and whatnot. Then that might call for some explanation where they might actually bring up a really great point or maybe someone else might be able to change their mind (This can literally only take 1 or 2 minutes).

Take Miiverse vs Xbox Live/PSN for example though. Healthy debate on that topic can help the participants come to an agreement or conclusion on what they feel social console services should be like. Do all of they agree with the restrictions Nintendo put in place to keep things civil or do they think Nintendo should allow for free speech more? Maybe they could come to the conclusion that incorporates a little bit of both. (*)
Ultimately, don't force these debates though. [-X They should be natural and should come in the topics your dealing with. Had you guys had other participants in the video who were actually big fans of EA instead of feeling "meh" about them, we might have gotten a different perspective so it could all depend on who you have in the podcast as well.
Edit: I also just saw your edit Matt, you make a good point about the podcast giving off the wrong impressions about the boards, but like I noted these debates shouldn't be forced.

[hr]My overall opinion about podcast debates is that they shouldn't last more than 3 minutes. Past the 3 minute mark would be strange as nothing about gaming should fixate you longer than about 3 minutes. :!!
I'm fine with wherever the tides take you guys though. These podcasts are just awesome in themselves already. :-bd

running_in_jam

Videogame Sound Designer and Composer

That's no problem at all. In my opinion I think that'll be more fitting than what I've written currently.

It's actually quite realistic for me to write a new intro for each upcoming podcast, based on the content. I can either remix a videogame theme into a different genre, or write something in a style typical of a particular game you want to discuss. The community can have a say in the genre, or the tracks to be remixed as well. It's all good practise for me.

I would need about a week minimum in case I've got a lot going on. Would someone be able to give me a list of the topics a week beforehand? Background tracks could possibly be included in that as well, and they could be based off the topics being discussed.

Alternatively, I can just write one new intro using Nintendo tunes to be used on all future podcasts. Let me know what you all think.

Cubits

Maybe we could do one for the main series, something to become recognizable as the podcast tune. If you want to mix things up a bit, we can do customised tunes for the topical podcasts, they'll have plenty of warning for you too.

I think the thread got a little carried away on the opposing views thing here. I don't see disagreeing as a bad thing, and there's no way i would let it degrade into an argument. I would like us to be known for our objectivity and rational perspective, and while I think we've been doing fine while agreeing, it's perfectly reasonable to expect us to have opposing opinions every now and then.

I think we're pretty much done with that topic of discussion.

Menashe

BTW, I didn't mean to actually argue and get in a fight. I meant more that you guys should get more comfortable as time goes by with disagreeing with each other's points of view. Not that it should become the main focus or anything.

BTW, I didn't mean to actually argue and get in a fight. I meant more that you guys should get more comfortable as time goes by with disagreeing with each other's points of view. Not that it should become the main focus or anything.
And that's what I knew you meant too.
Podcast arguments/debates should be like arguing/debating with friends IRL.

EthanGK

The blunder from down under
Hey guys, congratulations on a great thing you've got going here! I've been kinda putting off listening to it due to time constraints, but I figured if I listen in a few chunks while working on other stuff it wouldn't be so hard and so far that's working for me. Thanks to @mattavelle1 for giving me that final nudge I needed to getting around to listening to it. I'm only 20 minutes in so far, but it's already very different (and a lot better) than I expected. I thought it would be kinda like a news reading, but the conversation and differing opinions make it really fun to listen to, you guys have got a great rapport and I'll definitely be sure to finish listening to this podcast as well as future ones.
Plus it doesn't hurt that I already had a shout out five minutes in :> Hahaha yes, having lived in rural Australia, it's only natural that I should like Monster Hunter. It's pretty much The Sims for Australians. Either way, it's really nice to feel like a part of the community, so thank you very much. Looking forward to seeing these podcasts progress into a real highlight of the NE community. I'll let you know when I've finished listening to it :) ~O)

Cubits

Either way, it's really nice to feel like a part of the community, so thank you very much. Looking forward to seeing these podcasts progress into a real highlight of the NE community.
The community focus is a cornerstone of our podcast, and Matt's a stone mason so we have cornerstones covered!

I have a few more ideas for spotlighting our community, ideas which don't alienate non-members. They're pretty cool, you'll see them deployed in the next few episodes. ;)

EthanGK

Just finished the whole thing and loved it. Cubits, your rant about Australian prices really hit home :'(
If the non-members feel alienated, maybe they should just become members then, hmph! :> Just kidding (kinda)There are so many ways this thing can expand once it gets a bigger viewer base, the possibilities are endless! Before then, maybe a good idea would be to list the planned main points of the next podcast here, just to get some discussion going prior to the actual thing. Hey, it might even dig up some extra topics of conversation for you guys.

Cubits

The idea is to encourage people to join the community, and avoid seemingly unfunny in-jokes. I think we're doing a pretty good job of appearing "approachable", and i want to push that further.

The next show is going to be ALL ABOUT GAMES! We'll have monster hunter, lego city, and NFS to talk about. So much goodness!

The community spotlight will be on the miiverse art of our users.

I may put a live action intro on the start. I have a couple of different ones recorded. Can always fall back onto my miiverse animation if it doesn't work out, though.

Will give a shout-out to the Bayonetta petition too! :p

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I totally agree with not having arguments just because. It seems tacky and fake. Real conflicts about our viewpoints will arise in time and, because they will be genuine, will actually turn out to be really interesting.
Then there's the other end of the spectrum: the fact that being so in-sync with each other's opinions makes our overall view of the subjects more comprehensive and deep.
I think at the end of the day, I prefer a wide and deep analysis of a topic over a shallow, fake argument, but I probably also prefer a real conflict of passionate opinions over some fake and courteous "agree-to-disagree-ing".
Some interesting points brought up here. Of course there will be disagreements and different viewpoints put forward from time to time, but i don't think it would be a good idea to try to actively seek out controversy and conflict. I love the upbeat, positive tone and the joking and witty banter. The only criticism i have is that i noticed a couple of sliiightly awkward silences in the first half hour, like nobody was quite sure about jumping in... But that will undoubtedly resolve itself when you're all more comfortable chatting together, and even in the second half it sounded much more relaxed and natural. Overall it was a great listen and i love the direction that these podcasts seem to be going in - like a real relaxed friendly chat between a group of friends. Also love the shout-outs to members of the community - it makes TNE in general seem like a very friendly, welcoming place. Which, of course, it is!
Oh you made a good point on the awkward-seeming silences, so I have to point out that they're not awkward at all for us. It probably does seem like that to listeners, but in reality to us it's just a sense of "well that's that about that topic".
I think it's because some topics we ended up agreeing so much with one another and saying pretty much all we had to say about it, that we lingered there a bit just to make sure we really couldn't wring out the topic a bit more.
I think what we can do is just get better at recognizing when we've totally killed a topic, and move on immediately. We did a little better at pulling of the segue from one topic to the next between the first and second podcast, so I'm sure we'll do better next time as well.
Edit: just thought I'd mention, we'd actually super comfortable talking to each other because we play so much call of duty together, Skype occasionally, and Matt himself takes the time to call us every once in a while on the WiiU. Right off the bat, we could be talking equally comfortably with Menashe and Evil Mike, and probably Sknygy too. Others are also comfortable with Alaska_Gamer and Citizen of Verona, I believe. Then there are people like Repomech and Silent Bob himself, whom we chat with so often that it would simply be a matter of getting used to one another's voice and rhythm before heading into a proper live discussion.

Feel like the whole discussion point of having debates got misinterpreted into thinking that some of us wanted to see you guys duke it out for no apparent reason like sophisticated barbarians in an arena.
Long story short, they should come up naturally, but they won't come up if nobody wants to have a discussion on their differing views in fear that the fun might end.
I'm confident that in time though, podcasters will be comfortable enough to have those conversations with each other and they should be fun to have as well.

[hr]Moving away from this less than important discussion, what would you guys say about featuring video related to the games you're discussing?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Moving away from this less than important discussion, what would you guys say about featuring video related to the games you're discussing?
Can't always be done due to licensing issues. I believe the only time we'd be safe doing so would be when talking about some Indie games, since Indie developers are typically more open to having their work shown around freely instead of protecting it with a myriad copyright clauses.

Cubits

The second podcast was EA heavy, and had two great examples of EA supporting a system with exclusive software.

I believe the first podcast had plenty of video lined up with the discussion, too. Stuff like the rayman, MH, zombiU, and miiverse footage lined up with the discussion. I intentionally left out the more copyright contentious footage, but there was plenty of crossover between the audio and video!

AniGamer

TNE Clan Owner
The second podcast was EA heavy, and had two great examples of EA supporting a system with exclusive software.

I believe the first podcast had plenty of video lined up with the discussion, too. Stuff like the rayman, MH, zombiU, and miiverse footage lined up with the discussion. I intentionally left out the more copyright contentious footage, but there was plenty of crossover between the audio and video!
Let me know when our new Podcast will be so I can jump in it!

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Jam is the one making the music. I'm not sure what is happening with it, he talked about it earlier. It could be that we stick with the same one, or he makes another one, or he makes one for each new main podcast. He says he wants the practice, and we're not about to stop him :p

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
We'll be doing a new podcast soon. Since the big topic right now is the great 3 games we just got, we want to actually play them first so we can talk about them :p

EthanGK

Yay :) Looking forward to hearing about NFS and LC:U, since I don't have either. You guys got a plan? You're gonna have a lot to talk about this time around and you don't want to talk for hours :p

Cubits

LC:U releases on the 29th here, doubt i'll have my copy for a while due to shippage, so it might skip a podcast unless Alex gets stuck in to it for us! I don't mind doing a podcast where i haven't played the games, being the eager consumer wanting to know more.

As for the other two games, we'll be able to get through the discussion pretty efficiently, i'll structure my notes like the framework for a review and we'll steer the conversation around that. I just finished writing a Trine 2 review from the perspective of three different characters, that will certainly have helped. :p

Depending on when my copy of NFS gets here, we'll probably do the podcast on the weekend, and have it on youtube in the two days after that.

EthanGK

Oh, LC:U still isn't out here? Ah well, I don't have time for it just yet anyway.Did you purchase NFS from ozgameshop (that's what it's called, right?)? Sounds good, mate. I should have plenty of time to listen to it because I get a week break from uni. Turns out a Lego City review just went up on the NE homepage so I'll go check that out for the meantime. :)

Cubits

I have to see what's involved with that, but it was part of the eventual plan to have an iTunes version. Does the apple podcast thingy have push notifications yet?

ASuch

The Salt Master
I have no idea. I did some research, and it appears that you would need another program to get the push notifications. I have no idea though, I don't download podcasts to any of my Apple products besides my Classic, which doesn't have push notifications.

running_in_jam

Videogame Sound Designer and Composer
Jam is the one making the music. I'm not sure what is happening with it, he talked about it earlier. It could be that we stick with the same one, or he makes another one, or he makes one for each new main podcast. He says he wants the practice, and we're not about to stop him :p

Yeah, there'll be a new one in the pipeline soon. I've about a month left of my degree, so my attention is on that for the moment. For now I'm afraid you'll have to put up with what's already there if that's alright :p

Hey,
Not sure if you guys have considered this, but had an idea to increase listenership (is that a word?)...
Ask the Facebook/Twitter communities questions they'd like answered, and at the end of each podcast, spend time discussing the best three questions, and give 'shout-outs' to the person who asked them.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
That's a good idea Andy. We also planned to give a shoutout to someone in the forums for a really good post. We could probably do both.

Cubits

FINALLY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yLuVFtJxAk

All sorts of better this time, with some colourful discussion buried away between the larger subjects, segments and structure, and some alignment of discussion and footage. Sure it took a little longer than it should have to get done, but with the release dates and sheer volume of game to get through, we had to push it back a bit.

Onward and upward!

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Wow guys thank you for showing my sketches in your podcast....

I'm honered you would take the time to talk about, let alone show my actual drawings on Miiverse....

I'm listening to this right now, thank you for posting it.... 8->