TNE WONDERFUL ONES UNITE UP!!!!! PART 6 - Not this again

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

Welcome Wonderful ones to another wonderful update!!!!

Been talking about this for a few weeks now with Menashe and Jueg. We have to go on and start building new software for the site........if you couldn't tell from the crashes, yes she is dying and theres nothing we can do to bring her back.

I told the story a few weeks back about Menashe and I talking about "the site, we have wreaked its code beyond fixing. Were gonna have to start again building our own site from scratch".

So thats why we are here today Wonderful Ones, your getting a brand new home *again* and here is how its gonna go down, and what I will need from y'all.

1. Jueg and I have to comprize a list of features we would like to see coded into our new home. !!!THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!! OUR BASE STARTING POINT IS EVERYTHING WE HAVE NOW WITH XENFORO!!!! So our list will start out at "Everything Xenforo has now we want". So are we all clear that what we have now is great and this is where we will take off from? good

2. After Jueg and I (this week hopefully) make our list we will present it to you guys. From that point on you will have input to what features you would like see it make it to our new home. DO NOT MAKE A LIST YET!!!! Wait to see Juegs and mine that way we don't have a bunch of stuff repeated for no good reason.

3. After y'all look our list over then you can post and we will copy and paste that topic thread and hand it over to Menashe. He will have final say in what we can and can not do. Do not let this hender you from thinking big. As always anything y'all think would be a great feature for the community now and helping it to survive in the future when were all said and gone please bring it.

4. I talked to Menashe this morning he is wanting a list sooner than I had expected. I would have gotten this out earlier but myself I assumed (i should know better) that this new site software would still be a ways off. With the amount of traffic we get now (300k in January) obviously we are growing and can't handle an unreliable site for the readers and regulars. I am sorry that this comes out on such notice that is my fault. (we will still have a bit to get everything together in a timely fashion to Menashe so thats all good).

5. As for what you will be thinking about on the community software. We will be getting new custom forums which work had in hand with the whole site. We will be getting a new chat. Media sections literally anything you can think of that would be a benefit in any way pertaining to any of these things thats where I want your minds to start thinking about.

6. Jueg and I haven't made out our list yet so y'all got some time to be thinking about what features you would think would be a + for this community.

As always any comments / criticisms / questions you have on any of this please post below and of course I will get back to you.

TNE WONDERFUL ONES UNITE UP!!!!!:msrs:

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Ok guys here is the deal. We just spent 30+ hours with MH4 for this review. We are beat and Menashe wants a list.

The best Jueg and I got is

1. Everything we have now we want back.

2. We want the front page news to come back here, and our comments in that thread to go to the front.

Help us out please fellas. Y'all decide and give ideas for what y'all want. Here is how it will work.

I will copy and paste this thread to Menashe and he will go thru what makes the final cut. So no debating peoples ideas just what you think is gonna be a +1 for this community now and in the future in this forums.

So have at it fellas.

@EvilTw1n @LightsaberBlues @FriedShoes @CyanPrime @Superfakerbros @repomech @CitizenOfVerona @Shoulder @Majorbuddah @Cubits @Koenig @Goodtwin @Ex-Actarus @Laer_HeiSeiRyuu @simplyTravis @ASuch @ModernSamuraiJay @Karkashan @MANGANian @sjmartin79 @Odo @Aki @81jono81 @paleselan @theDethDealer @theMightyME @GamingFreak1988
@TechnoHobbit. @Mr-Chris
@juegosmajicos
Man I hate doings that manually cause I always forget someone.

Actually can I get a @TNE alert that alerts everyone?

Anyhow y'all read thru this thread and let's see what y'all come up with. :mthumb:

Last edited:

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Ok guys here is the deal. We just spent 30+ hours with MH4 for this review. We are beat and Menashe wants a list.

The best Jueg and I got is

1. Everything we have now we want back.

2. We want the front page news to come back here, and our comments in that thread to go to the front.

Help us out please fellas. Y'all decide and give ideas for what y'all want. Here is how it will work.

I will copy and paste this thread to Menashe and he will go thru what makes the final cut. So no debating peoples ideas just what you think is gonna be a +1 for this community now and in the future in this forums.

So have at it fellas.

@EvilTw1n @LightsaberBlues @FriedShoes @CyanPrime @Superfakerbros @repomech @CitizenOfVerona @Shoulder @Majorbuddah @Cubits @Koenig @Goodtwin @Ex-Actarus @Laer_HeiSeiRyuu @simplyTravis @ASuch @ModernSamuraiJay @Karkashan @MANGANian @sjmartin79 @Odo @Aki @81jono81 @paleselan @theDethDealer @theMightyME @GamingFreak1988
@TechnoHobbit
Man I hate doings that manually cause I always forget someone.

Anyhow y'all read thru this thread and let's see what y'all come up with. :mthumb:

For the love of Christ, please make the forums mobile responsive.

https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/layouts/rwd-fundamentals/

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
the main thing I would like is if we unified the forums across all the enthusiast sites... so we have a TVE section of the forums, etc... and 1 community thread for all of them that ties them all together

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
the main thing I would like is if we unified the forums across all the enthusiast sites... so we have a TVE section of the forums, etc... and 1 community thread for all of them that ties them all together
This is already gonna be a thing. We all agree with you on this

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Wait, so what exactly is the point of this? I'm a bit confused

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Were building a 100% custom forum across the E networks. You have a hand in the features you think the community now and in the future could want.

Koenig

The Architect
Probably a bit excessive at this point in time, but I think it would be neat to have an improved branch of the site for each member; IE a place where we could write our own blogs, share pictures, and write content separate from the forum. So, for example, everyone would have their own *Insert user name here* enthusiast thread/section without cluttering up the forums.

Probably a bit excessive at this point in time, but I think it would be neat to have an improved branch of the site for each member; IE a place where we could write our own blogs, share pictures, and write content separate from the forum. So, for example, everyone would have their own *Insert user name here* enthusiast thread/section without cluttering up the forums.
We have something like that going in the TNE Media section http://nintendoenthusiast.com/forums/forums/tne-media.30/

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Whatever the right media ad is, it's freakin' kills me. The vid loads slowly and bogs me down at work. [/1st world, white-person problems]

I always forget that chat is there. So long as it's a pop up, it's probably going to be neglected.

Just on site software stuff, whatever plug-in exists for social media, so that articles post to FB/Twitter/tumblr/etc. when we hit publish, we could use that back. It shouldn't be a question of what goes up from a gatekeeper - if it's published on the site proper, it goes up on social media, no exceptions.
The forums work OK on my phone, but it could certainly be improved. I can't see alerts until I put my phone in manscape.

I mean landscape.

I think.
This is already gonna be a thing. We all agree with you on this
Effin' right! The TNE community has a history, but I think it'd be great to integrate across the board. No opening a new tab just to get to TV Enthusiast from the forum, just have it right there.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
You know what might he awesome I just thought of.

Y'all know how we feel about voicechat. What if there was a voicechat system we could use thru the TNE Forums while we played games?

Maybe voicechat could be in option in the new chat?

ah, of course: Animated avatars.

I want a embedded chat that can connect to a TNE IRC channel so I don't have to use the crappy embedded chat to talk, but people who don't want to, or can't learn IRC won't have to be separated from the IRC goers.

You know, like this thing... which no one gave a fuck about.
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/forum...esnt-want-you-to-know-about.2909/#post-116991
few things to consider from our adhd chat community we have now.
These guys love their noises, I think it was the first thing that was solidly missed in the move from chatango. Spot tried to fix it, but failed hilariously. A few of the users access the chat through mobile devices, so that's gonna be something to get worked out before going ahead. The whole embedded media thing was cool on spot.im at first but now its pretty annoying considering the res they give youtube videos and such. In that regard, the irc solution works.

Having to log-in separately is gonna deter people like Matt, kinda like that stuff to be integrated to our accounts. Its a weird line to juggle, because we sometimes forget about the people reading the articles that can see and communicate in the chat, though I'd guess they have to have account too...hmmm forget it.
There's this forum I go to that integrates their IRC chat with forum accounts: http://fanoff.com/chat/
Dont know how they do it, and its not quite embedded either but something like that could work pretty well too.

[fun fact about that website: it was created by ex-IGN members who were fed up with the IGN wrestling community(and IGN). Sound familiar? lol]

Things I'll miss but can definitely live without from spot are our icons appearing and being able to scroll back almost infinitely to past discussions, made it easy to capture them for some of my videos. Kinda looks like I can do that in the widget you have, if not I can always get my client to archive it. It does seem way way less sluggish.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
-Integrating the other Enthusiast Sites

-Embedded chat that does not feel like an afterthought

-Mobile-friendly for EVERYTHING

-I honestly like the idea of maybe intergrating a voice chat within the forums, but I wonder if it would be more of a big "Fuck you," to Nintendo than something we'd actually use. Although, it could prove useful for Nintendo games which we play online, but have no voice chat. The issue I can see with this, however is do we create a party chat, so if we want only the people playing online to be included, or just include everyone who is using the chat at that point or something? Just something to think about

-I already like what we're doing with the Media section, so perhaps as it becomes more active in the near future, have pop-ups of the media on the front page for non-forum users to potentially watch. It would certainly help bridge that gap between the Forums and the Front Page as well.

-???

The importantly thing we should keep in mind though is not to expect everything to work properly straight out of the box. This is not the Apollo missions where failure is not an option. Well, to be fair, failure is certainly not an option on TNE or the other TE sites.

I also think when we start to integrate all the other enthusiast sites, we will most certainly have to rename ourselves. Sure, we all came from TNE, but I feel we will end up becoming the Wonderful Enthusiasts. Having a W101 logo for it all would not only please Matty, but be very fitting.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
-I honestly like the idea of maybe intergrating a voice chat within the forums, but I wonder if it would be more of a big "Fuck you," to Nintendo than something we'd actually use. Although, it could prove useful for Nintendo games which we play online, but have no voice chat. The issue I can see with this, however is do we create a party chat, so if we want only the people playing online to be included, or just include everyone who is using the chat at that point or something? Just something to think about
Chat needs to integrate with the front page, too, though. And for that, voice chat doesn't really work (we can censor text, but not speech).

[On the site name, I think we have to stick with the sort of Enthusiast Network thing we've got going. We can't ditch the Nintendo Enthusiast name. It takes years to build a site anyone can even remember, or get noticed. I just typed "Nintendo en" into google, and the first suggestion was "Nintendo Entertainment System." The second? Nintendo Enthusiast.]

Shoulder

Chat needs to integrate with the front page, too, though. And for that, voice chat doesn't really work (we can censor text, but not speech).

[On the site name, I think we have to stick with the sort of Enthusiast Network thing we've got going. We can't ditch the Nintendo Enthusiast name. It takes years to build a site anyone can even remember, or get noticed. I just typed "Nintendo en" into google, and the first suggestion was "Nintendo Entertainment System." The second? Nintendo Enthusiast.]
Yeah, we could probably just end up making it all like Kotaku, Jalopnik, Gizmodo, iO9, etc in terms of integrating stuff and referencing the different sites for hot news. As far as the forums go, one giant forum for it all could be useful, but we'll see.

But yeah, I'm not asking to change the name of TNE. More like what we call ourselves, but even then that might not be particular the best idea either.

Odo

I like the idea of having a profile page for everyone where we could create a blog or something. Of course, I know that 90% of users wouldn't use it, but if this profile could be improved with a lot of useful stuff, maybe people would use, for example, I think we need a list maker tool. Imagine if I could put on my profile here the my wishlist of games, the games I completed, the articles I liked, my last comments, the time I'm online playing MH4, etc, so people could share gaming related stuff using a official way that isn't a thread on this forum.

There are apps to create this kind of social network thing, you just need a coder to integrate them.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Crap we should have just came to y'all first for real.

I'll leave the thread open for about a week wanna get everyone who wants a voices input.

Thank you guys so much there is lots here I wouldn't have thought of. :mthumb:

Aki

Since I don't use the mobile version of the site, the only thing that I'd really like is better Tapatalk support. For example, the current forums on Tapatalk don't incorporate your ignore list and you also can't rate a post anything other than like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
Considering this is really the only message board I participate in other than the occasional XDA stuff, I don't know if I have any good suggestions.

I do miss the connection between the posts and the forums but I felt they were not correctly organized. Instead of separating them in a "Front Page Articles" area that I will never visit when I'm in "forum mode" they should be allocated to the correct section. So if there is a story about Xenoblade X it should auto-post to the Wii U section. If it is related to 3DS then it should go in a forum space there. If it is both then there should be a "General Nintendo Blabbery" section that doesn't exactly fit into one specific product. Maybe when a post is started, instead of a comment section it should have a sort of nested in message board page linked to the accompanying message board it auto-creates. This is all a pipe dream of course and probably stupid hard to code, automate, and get to work across operating systems.

Shoulder

It's obvious from everyone here that front page integration with the forums will be coming back as it was very popular.

I wonder though, could the reverse also happen? So let's say we have a very popular single subject thread on the forums (remember the TNE RAP room, or War room?), could that be linked to the front page for others to see, and potentially post messages as well (It might be tricky to nail down whether or not posts are coming from the front page itself, or the forums side, and differentiating between them)?

This would be pretty great, BUT splintering off the chat in a half-serious manner, I'd like general @ alerts too. A way to create @ groups to alert groups of people.

CoD for example. We simply @CoDGhosts420 or @CoDBLOPSWhoStillPlaysThisTrash and it will alert the people who own the game to the post.
boil it down to clans too. @TeamASuch us and it alerts da squad to your feeble post.

just gotta worry about spam.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
This would be pretty great, BUT splintering off the chat in a half-serious manner, I'd like general @ alerts too. A way to create @ groups to alert groups of people.

CoD for example. We simply @CoDGhosts420 or @CoDBLOPSWhoStillPlaysThisTrash and it will alert the people who own the game to the post.
boil it down to clans too. @TeamASuch us and it alerts da squad to your feeble post.

just gotta worry about spam.
Again I think its a good idea but something like this would boil down to Menashe and how many "special @" he wants to put in. Feeble enough for ya or do I need to go older?

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I wanna make sure everyone has had a chance to answer. In 2-3 days I'll hand this over to Menashe

Thank you all for caring enought to give your input to shape this place. :mthumb:

Shoulder

I wanna make sure everyone has had a chance to answer. In 2-3 days I'll hand this over to Menashe

Thank you all for caring enought to give your input to shape this place. :mthumb:
Hopefully Menashe won't be overwhelmed by everything, and just go:

Please, Menashe?

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE?!

...ok... *slowly walks away*

Odo

I use instagram as well as many gamers and sites like IGN, Nintendo Life and others. We've got an amazing community there posting collection items, news, screenshots, cosplay, memes, game art, Pokemon fans, Zelda fans, etc.

Nintendo is also there.

Take a look. Some people I follow.

https://instagram.com/gamer_legendz/
https://instagram.com/mega_jess/
https://instagram.com/shauntendo64/
https://instagram.com/intrepidclassgaming/
https://instagram.com/igndotcom/
https://instagram.com/gamingplus/
https://instagram.com/nintendo/
https://instagram.com/robinotta/