Together We Ride - 2017 Game Completion Thread

Just finished Resident Evil 7, and damn, what a game! Visuals were excellent. Controls were tight, for an RE game. Story was quite good, definite scares and jumps.
I feel like this game is really getting back to the roots of survival horror for them.
It definitely does connect to the main RE universe.
Good to hear. I'll pick this one up one day, perhaps a summer weekend.

Gotta ask though, how up to speed are you on the series as a whole? Does RE7 fit nicely into the mess of plot points of part games or is it more so a soft reboot? I'm gonna spoil this next part but it's about Revelations so I think you're good to read it.
My biggest problem with the series is how many loose threads and character changes there seems to be. At the end of Revelations the T-Abyss virus is still out in the wild, but we never see from it again. Chris seems to change between games to the point where he is completely unrecognizable in 6. They just keep adding more and more to the series and never tie anything up. I read the notes in 6 but that's a cheap way to flesh out the world imo.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Good to hear. I'll pick this one up one day, perhaps a summer weekend.

Gotta ask though, how up to speed are you on the series as a whole? Does RE7 fit nicely into the mess of plot points of part games or is it more so a soft reboot? I'm gonna spoil this next part but it's about Revelations so I think you're good to read it.
My biggest problem with the series is how many loose threads and character changes there seems to be. At the end of Revelations the T-Abyss virus is still out in the wild, but we never see from it again. Chris seems to change between games to the point where he is completely unrecognizable in 6. They just keep adding more and more to the series and never tie anything up. I read the notes in 6 but that's a cheap way to flesh out the world imo.
I'm up to speed on all the stories, and I do agree that they keep having a lot of loose ends, and this is probably another one. You could call this one another chapter or a soft reboot. It does leave questions at the end. But just like 6, if you want to know the whole story, you have to read the notes. If you skip the notes, it is still a complete story in and of itself. But it is more enjoyable if you read the notes, like in Metroid Prime.

I'm up to speed on all the stories, and I do agree that they keep having a lot of loose ends, and this is probably another one. You could call this one another chapter or a soft reboot. It does leave questions at the end. But just like 6, if you want to know the whole story, you have to read the notes. If you skip the notes, it is still a complete story in and of itself. But it is more enjoyable if you read the notes, like in Metroid Prime.
Thanks. I do find it annoying when a series has as many loose ends as RE, but I'm still interested in this one. I guess I can always look at this one as another 4 since it's basically a new start.

Just finished Condemned: Criminal Origins on Steam. I like playing as much as I can in a sitting with a horror game, it's easier that way to stay "in the zone" with it.

It was the most scared I've been with a game in a long time, the mall, school and farm hour being the source of most panic. There were times where I...not screamed, but still went "ahhh" out loud. I disliked the final boss/area though. There were too many dead bodies that the frame rate dipped noticeably, and idk, it could have been better.

I'll wait a bit before playing 2. It'll probably be sometime after Zelda.

SkywardCrowbar

Twintelle's loyal Husbando
FINALLY completed The Legend of Zelda. I certainly enjoyed it a lot more than A Link to the Past.

It's a lot of fun for someone who's not played the game until the last few months to imagine how mind blowing this experience must have been to people when it originally came out. The beautiful simplicity of the gameplay mechanics mesh perfectly with an overarching ambition and complexity.

10/10.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
FINALLY completed The Legend of Zelda. I certainly enjoyed it a lot more than A Link to the Past.

It's a lot of fun for someone who's not played the game until the last few months to imagine how mind blowing this experience must have been to people when it originally came out. The beautiful simplicity of the gameplay mechanics mesh perfectly with an overarching ambition and complexity.

10/10.
What platform did you beat it on? (if you emulated it on PC, I'll count it as NES)

Karkashan

Married to Chrom

I have a̶c̶c̶o̶m̶p̶l̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶l̶e̶t̶e̶.̶ ̶g̶l̶o̶b̶a̶l̶.̶ ̶s̶a̶t̶u̶r̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ beaten Resident Evil 5 after slooowly making my way through it. It's just as fun as I remember, even if I did play it on my own this time and had to rely on the AI.

This game kinda reminds me a bit of Monster Hunter with a mix of some Musou-ish type games in that replaying levels in order to get the resources needed to upgrade your weapons can turn out to be crucial by the end of the game. (wow, run on sentence)

In terms of the game's story I still don't understand what was so "disloyal to the series' horror roots" about it. The RE series, for the most part, was always a resource management intensive action game series with horror as its flavor of choice. It was B movie schlock and decided there was nothing wrong with that, and reveled in it. (now, as to RE6, I haven't gotten to that game yet but I've heard it gets a little ridiculous even for Capcom storytelling standards) If they had had this game (re5) as the finale of the series and rebooted it completely with 6 and/or Revelations I think I would've found it to be a good decision, as Wesker as the penultimate boss of the entire series was rather fitting at the time of this game's launch.

praisegrima

I played RE5 when it first came out and didn't like it much. When I played it last year I did warm up to it though.

4 was my first real experience with the series and to this day I must have beaten that game 10-15 times. 5 did feel like a shorten version of that game without the charm to it. Chris is so much more dry than Leon was. It was way too serious for how ridiculous it was especially in a game where you punch boulders.

I did dislike how you had to manage two inventories, two health bars, etc. As batshit as 6 is, at least you don't have to do that with your AI partner this time around. At the end of the day I did have fun with it, but it still feels like a lesser version of 4 with a forced in co-op mode (not saying co-op shouldn't exist, but maybe have a true solo experience please?).

Interested in what your thoughts on 6 will be.

edit: Just had a shower thought, another thing I disliked though was Wesker's plan. My understanding of him was this shadow-y puppet master who lurked in the background and played everyone like a fiddle. Then this game grandly unveils his plan to be.....to destroy Earth. Wow, really outdid yourselves there Capcom writers.

Last edited:
Strider (2014) on PS3

I really want to love this game. It has everything I want in a 2D game. Fast paced, some great tunes, big boss fights, badass as all hell protagonist, boss fight in space. The fact it's Metroidvania doesn't hurt any. This should be one of my favorite 2D games ever. Instead, I fucking hate it.

Two problems. One is the controls. The deadzone on the sticks are way too narrow. You duck or aim up/down by barely moving the stick in that direction. Countless times I would trying jumping to the left or right but instead slide kick, usually off a platform. There's just a weird jankiness to the controls in general that's hard to describe sometimes. Whenever precision is required it's like pulling teeth.

The biggest problem though is the enemies. A lot of enemy attacks in this game conjure knock back, and the knock back is insane. You can go flying across the room. Other attacks knock you on your ass. Some enemies can rapid fire these types of attacks and there is no invinciblity frames, so if you get hit by the first bullet, you're just stun locked into taking the rest of it. Even the most basic soldiers towards the end of the game can take a lot of health away if you can cornered. It often throws a ton of different types at you too, so sometimes you're really fucked. Enemies that freeze you, charge you with electricity to make you stunned. It's all a mess.

And of course I glitched in the wall at the last boss, just to rub it in.

Maybe the controls are better on other systems, so for awhile I was debating getting the PS4 version, but fuck that. As I said, I really want to love this game so this is one of the most disappointing games I've played in recent memory.

Lastly, what the fuck is up with 2d action games have dialogue bosses during boss fights? They're huge, distracting and often block the ground and character. This, Azure Striker Gunvolt, Mighty No 9. I hope this trend dies in a fire.

Just finished Doom 3 (Steam). Yeah I kinda flew through it, but I did read most emails and listen to the audio logs.

I like it but I could of loved it. Despite it not being as fast as 1, 2, New Doom, I still enjoyed it. Some enemies can get fucked, and where the level design is tight, it's easy to accidentally back into a corner, which in turn means it's easy to have the enemies just wail on you.

Still, it was fun. Carmack always struck me as caring much more about the tech and graphics first. I wonder how Doom 3 would have turned out if Romero didn't leave after Quake.

Speaking of Quake, I guess I'll give that game another try

Alright, finally finished Quake 1 on Steam. No movement glitch this time so I could actually finish it. That thing happened again though where when I finished world 3 my rune from world 2 disappeared. I did world 2 again then the last boss.

I do really enjoy this game a lot though despite how long it took me to actually beat it. No music though, so I listened to the Doom soundtrack on spotify...fits really well.

If the snow fucks off I can get my stitches out tomorrow, then back to Gravity Rush 2.

I've been a bit all over the place lately with what game I'm playing. Still not done Gravity Rush 2 and wanted a straight forward action game. Picked up DMC Devil May Cry and was having a lot of fun. Then I got curious if I could get into the original, so after 5 missions of Reboot DMC I went back to OG DMC.

I beat it twice (HD version on PS3). Once on easy to learn the basics then on Normal to prove I could do it.

I like it, perhaps I like it a lot. Kark, you're right, it can be janky as hell. The hardest fights are the enclosed boss battles. If you got some room to wiggle around the game isn't that hard surprisingly. Well, you still gotta pay attention and look for an opening, etc. But the last boss was pretty easy compare to that third pile of goo.

I really wish I played this back in the day. I feel like I'm too spoiled by Bayonetta and what little I've played of the reboot to fully enjoy this one. I liked it a lot, but if I could go back in time and tell myself to get it I would.

Gonna go back to the reboot sometime soon and focus on that.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Of course I'm right.

I'm me.

Finished Fire Emblem Heroes' story mode, so I'm filing that under "finished" and pretty much never touching that shit again. It's not a bad game, I just don't have a smartphone so it's not something i feel like spending time with every day like it's designed to be played.

grimabepraised

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Finished Fire Emblem Heroes story mode on Normal and Hard difficulties. It was handy to have to play while at Disney in lines. Helps pass the time.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I forgot to post here that my first completed game this year was Xenoblade (Wii).

The rest of 2017 has a lot to live up to.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I finished Undertale sometime in January. Eh.

I also finished DOOM. THAT'S HOW THAT GAME'S NAME IS SPELLED BUT FROM HERE ON I'LL ALSO TYPE IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE DOOM IS METAL AS FUCK AND NOW SO AM I.

DOOM IS PROBABLY THE BEST 3RD PARTY GAME I'VE PLAYED SINCE THE FIRST DARK SOULS, WITH GREAT ENEMY VARIETY, AWESOME WEAPONS, FUN AND FRESH LEVEL DESIGN, GREAT VISUALS, AND FUCKING INCREDIBLE MUSIC GODDAMN.

I BEAT IT ONCE IN HARD AND ONCE IN NIGHTMARE MODE, IT WAS FUCKING BADASS. HERE'S THE SOUNDTRACK.

I WORE HEADPHONES WHILE PLAYING THIS GAME AND TURNED THEM ALL THE WAY UP, IT WAS GLORIOUS. I RECOMMEND THIS GAME WHOLEHEARTEDLY, AND I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD PLAY IT.

SkywardCrowbar

Twintelle's loyal Husbando
I beat The Legend of Zelda: Tri-Force Heroes on 3DS.

A really clunky game that has all the fun drained out of it by being unintuitive and uninspired. 4/10.

Odo

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - Wii u - 23 Feb 2017 - 47:00 - 5/5
Yokai Watch 2 - 3Ds - 25 Feb 2017 - 40:32 - 5/5
Yoshi's New Island - 3ds - 01 Mar 2017 - 5:15 - 3/5

I've just beaten Yoshi's New Island. Although the game is beautiful and reminds me a lot the Snes days, it's just quite plain and short. Platformer fans may like it, but it's not full price material in my opinion.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Okay, I should be caught up with everyone up to the moment of this post, then.

Please do not repost a game you've already posted about, as it clutters up the thread. You can talk about it, but I don't need you to make your own separate list in this thread.

praisegrima

Karkashan

Married to Chrom

Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters for the Gameboy has been completed.

"This'll be a breeze" I thought. "Should only take me at most an hour or so to complete."

Took me 5 over two nights. Because a certain angel decided to keep falling though the middle of a level, making me do it all over again, and again, and again.

praisegrima

Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters for the Gameboy has been completed.

"This'll be a breeze" I thought. "Should only take me at most an hour or so to complete."

Took me 5 over two nights. Because a certain angel decided to keep falling though the middle of a level, making me do it all over again, and again, and again.

praisegrima
Underrated game. I liked it more than the first one.

BobSilencieux

Snipperclips - Switch

Holy crap they need to make more levels for this surprisingly delightful game. The Lady and I absolutely loved it. You can be so inventive and do such hilarious and awesome things in it. It kinda reminded me of Scribblenauts, if Scribblenauts wasn't shit. We came up with some amazing-feeling solutions to levels... such a great game. I'd give it an 8/10 which will be bumped up to a 9/10 if they release a free update doubling the number of levels.

BobSilencieux

Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins - 3DS

Holy crap what a terrible game. Lego City on the Wii U was BOSS, but damn, what a disappointment this one was. I was excited to see the same world brought back on the 3DS, but the developers had to make so many BRUTAL cuts - I assume because of hardware limitations - that I actually wish they hadn't bothered. Turok 1 fog, masively cut down world, segmented into areas with huge load times, bugs and glitches out the wazoo... Ugh. Also, Lego City Wii U may have been easy, but this one seems to have been made for literal babies.

Which is just silly because you have to be at least 6 to use the 3D effect.

2/10

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Hmm... not sure if I wanna leave the full name of the Switch for the Console beaten on, or shorten it to NS.

Thoughts, ya'll?

ex: Breath of the Wild (NS) VS Breath of the Wild (Switch)

BobSilencieux

Hmm... not sure if I wanna leave the full name of the Switch for the Console beaten on, or shorten it to NS.

Thoughts, ya'll?

ex: Breath of the Wild (NS) VS Breath of the Wild (Switch)
I had the same issue when posting about Snipperclips. I guess it depends if you're abbreviating any other consoles...

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Finally got around to bother beating Fire Emblem: Fates - Birthright (3DS)

The game has great gameplay, I'd argue the best in the series, but the story is just all over the place. Like...it's pretty bad. It's fun but I kept playing the game on and off and I didn't enjoy it as much as, say, Awakening or Sacred Stones. I hope that, for the next main Fire Emblem game, they focus on just making one game as good as they can instead of trying to work on 3 at once

Devil May Cry 2 HD on PS3

Pretty brain dead game compared to the original. Easy to breeze through.
Yeah, Devil May Cry 2 is by far the weakest one. Thankfully, 4 and especially 3 are a lot better