Top 10 Xbox One Scorpio Upgrades I'd Like to See

GaemzDood

• There's no doubt that Quantum Break is artistically stunning and visually ahead of its time, but the compromises do show on Xbox One. The game launched with a horrible 4 frame reconstruction that would completely break down in motion in addition to the horrendous ghosting it caused (to put it into perspective, since it's 30 FPS, that's 10% of your frames that are causing ghosting, and it's a lot less noticeable if you're running at 60 FPS since that's only 2/60 of your frames used). That's in addition to the poor shadow filtering, 720p render targets, poor texture filtering, pop-in, and chunky looking volumetric lighting that's reminiscent of Alan Wake on the 360. However, given the fact that the GPU horsepower of the Scorpio is reminiscent of the GTX 1070 and Fury X and the game performs pretty well on a 1070 maxed out with the upscaling off (on Steam anyways), I can imagine an upscale free 1080p60 Quantum Break experience on a console and it's salivating...that is if they offer it up as an option instead of pushing for 4k.

• I'd hate to say it, but Halo 5 is a pretty last gen looking game, especially compared to other 60 FPS games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered, Advanced Warfare, and DOOM: down to the at times non-existent AA, half resolution alpha and low sampled motion blur, low resolution normal maps, poor texture filtering, screen space light shafts, dithered decals, alpha effects fading in and out when you approach them, half-rate animations, resolution that is barely above 720p at times, and pre-baked lighting and shadows.
  • All of these issues could be rectified with a Scorpio release, with additions like volumetric effects, GPU accelerated particles, real time lighting and shadows, DOOM-tier motion blur, better textures with 16xAF, TAA, and a strong LOD system being enticing enough.

• Rise of the Tomb Raider does a pretty good job at being the Xbox One's secret sauce for the most part: it's a fully deferred rendered game running at 1080p and a reasonably solid 30 FPS on the Xbox One while being a visual stunner. However, poor AA and AF (something that wasn't even addressed on the otherwise superior PS4 port, ironic given that the Definitive Edition didn't have the same problem), severe input lag, and cutbacks in other areas (motion blur being disabled inexplicably, 1440x1080p cutscenes and cut back shadows, none of which are an issue on PS4) show. The PS4 Pro version was also a pretty big letdown owing to the rushed nature of it as I explained in my thread about the Pro, so hopefully, they'll optimize the Scorpio version. Maybe due to the huge memory pool, we could even possibly see the addition of those 4k textures that make a pretty remarkable difference.

• This is a pretty big one. Despite the original target being 1080p, which should make sense given how many fantastic looking games run at 1080p and 30 FPS on the Xbox One, the final game runs between 756p and 900p so far...even though they literally had double the render budget due to the FPS target. I dunno, it's weird. And that's in addition to the poor texture filtering, aliasing, awful dithering, and some of the worst motion blur I've seen in a current gen game. Despite that, the PS4 Pro version is getting a 60 FPS patch in December, so I assume the Scorpio is going to get that plus a higher resolution. It should be enticing since this doesn't seem to be coming out on PC sadly.

• It's hard to complain about DOOM. It offers up some of the most satisfying and visceral gunplay out of any game on the market baked up by a native 1080p image with a mostly locked 60 FPS...on the PS4. On the Xbox One, the framerate fluctuates a lot and goes as low as 40 FPS in addition to the resolution going as low as 1344x756p (at least the excellent AA is intact). I suspect it's down to the game's use of compute shaders as well as the lower level of pixel shaders on the Xbox One.
  • Tiago Sousa also said that native 4k is a waste on the Scorpio, which I agree with. His temporal reconstruction idea sounds awesome on paper, and as seen with Ratchet & Clank and Spider-Man on the Pro, it can be even better in motion. It looks leagues better than checkerboarding.

• This one deserves the honor: it's the first sub-HD (at times) AAA game on the Xbox One and it can't even sustain a solid 60 FPS. I can understand not being able to hit 60 FPS in Conquest, but 620p? Damn. That's in addition to the cut out screen space reflections (an immersion breaking oddity considering Hardline and Battlefront used them extensively). The biggest upgrade on the Scorpio would come from the locked 60 FPS update, higher resolution shadows, improved draw distances, higher precision post-processing (motion blur would be the biggest one), terrain and undergrowth, and faster asset streaming would be icing on the cake.
  • Now that I think about it, I could fill this list up with DICE games.

• This game is even more sub-HD than Battlefield 1, as it can go 480p onward. Seriously. The adherence to 60 FPS is great though.

• This game is beautiful on all platforms, even if the consoles run more in line with the medium settings. However, a Scorpio update with a stable 60 FPS during wet races and more of the PC's top end presets for car polygons, reflections, motion blur, etc. would be awesome for poor peasants like myself.
  • I doubt it'll happen though since they didn't even update it for the Pro.

• Dark Souls III, much like Scholar of the First Sin, on Xbox One is a classic example of the version that won't sell as well being an afterthought by the developers. Not only is the frame pacing somehow worse than it is on PS4, but it legitimately dips really badly in places. In addition to that, UI elements are also rendered at 900p. They really did not care.
  • The Souls series has always benefitted from 60 FPS more than any other non-Platinum game I can think of, as evidenced by Scholar of the First Sin on PS4.

• The Xbox One version launched with some noticeable tearing and performance issues during cutscenes in addition to running at 1600x900p with an IQ killing sharpening filter. I get that TAA softens the image, but blur > shimmering and artifacts.
  • The game was already pretty fantastic looking on the Xbox One otherwise, running at the PC's high settings. They wouldn't really need to tweak the visuals that much aside from allowing users to disable the sharpening and toggle motion blur on or off, something that should've been shipped in the regular console versions.

Last edited: