Unofficial E3 2018 MegaThread

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Everything E3 2018 goes in here.

What are your predictions? What do you hope to see? What do you hope to NOT see?

Also, come join us in our Discord server to chat during the actual presentations. We'll try to do group voice calls as well, for maximum hype.
https://discordapp.com/invite/yHPHQCr

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I think what I'm most excited for is to see what FromSoftware is working on next. I hope it's the successor to the Souls series rather than a return to Armored Core or an older franchise. There's a stage show for Bandai Namco and Atlus on Monday, so I'm hoping that's where FromSoftware fits in. The one Atlus published was Demon's Souls for NA, though, so hopefully FromSoft's next project isn't a PS4-exclusive Demon's Souls 2. I want something new.

Other than that, I really just want to see Prime 4 being an amazing, ambitious game, and Smash 5 being better than Smash 4.

mattavelle1

Crunk Ain’t Dead!!!
e3 this year, what I think could happen. Pretty hype about e3 this year because it did creep up on me which has been nice.

Locks- Metroid Prime4, Smash, Bayo in some form, MHGU, No More Hero’s, Fortnite, Paladins, A “new way to play Splatoon”, Dark Souls, The Pokémon’s, Square Enix projects,

Limbs - Retro anything, Mario Odyessy DLC, as hype as BotW has been I could go on a limb and say DLC around Christmas to frenzy that whole base up again. W10something...........or scalebound........I’m expecting platinum quite a bit. Pikmin, Mario Golf (right on the heals of tennis), Bethesda continues support.

Ain’t nothing happening - F-Zero, CoD, really I’m saying many “major” franchises miss Switch. Star Fox, I’m havin no faith in Capcom outside of MHGU.

I’ll edit it as I think of more, I’m really happy about e3 tho!

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Hoping to see: Metroid Prime 4, Bayo (trailers or info)

Want announced: Pikmin, Metroid Prime Trilogy for Switch

Would be bowled over and excited: Wonderful 102 (with Wonderful 101 as a bonus - like Bayonetta), Skyward Sword Switch, Eternal Darkness reboot

There's been a few announcements from 3rd parties already, I'm pretty happy to see the next Hitman get announced.

Out of what's confirmed, I want to see Ghost of Tsushima and some damn gameplay of Death Stranding for a change. Also curious to see how the new team handles the next Tomb Raider.

There's been rumors of a new Splinter Cell in the works, so I'm hoping it'll turn out good, but given it's modern Ubisoft we're talking here, Hitman may be my stealth game of choice this year. I want a release date for Kingdom Hearts 3. I also want to see some Rage 2 gameplay besides a spliced together trailer. After DOOM, ID got my full attention again.

As for Nintendo, Metroid Prime 4 is pretty much the only thing that would make me buy a Switch this year instead of next. There's quite a bit on PS4 coming out that'll hold my attention for a long time. Pikmin 4 would also be a good persuasion. Interested in seeing Bayonetta 3 in action and hopefully whatever Retro's been working on.

Out of the blue/never expect it to happen announcements:...Y'know, I'm actually content with everything announced. From what's coming out on PS4 this year/2019, and 2019 beyond for the Switch, I'm happy with it. Splinter Cell being a stealth-focused level based game would be the bee's knees, but even if it is typical Ubisoft open world, I feel like there's more than enough coming out to make me happy.

Soul Calibur 6, Tomb Raider, Spyro Remakes, Hitman, Spiderman, Kingdom Hearts 3, Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, all these games are pretty safe bets. Then you have Rage 2, Lost Soul Aside, Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding which are also most likely safe bets but we still don't know enough. Coupled all this with rumors of a new Splinter Cell and honestly, this E3 is looking legit af.

Still, I wouldn't turn down a Silent Hills re-announcement.

Koenig

The Architect
High hopes. Low expectations. Is that an oxymoron? Yes. Does it summarize my thoughts towards E3 right now? Yes.

I'm usually happy with Bethesda's showings (which is tomorrow), all their announcements on stage release the same year. None of this "we'll announce a game 5 years away" bullshit.

I just think live presentations are bad. I know some people love them, but they suck. If you cut out all the bullshit, EA might have had something presentable. At least the Anthem showing wouldnt have been dragged down.
I know some want them to continue, and a lot of it I think has to do with nostalgia. They want another Twilight Princess reveal reaction, where the crowd goes disgustingly crazy. Thats never going to happen again, the press isn't going to cheer a game like that, so all thats left are the paid clappers you have installed in the audience. Every cheer in the EA presentation sounded so fake and forced. I bet the same will be heard today at Microsofts conference.
Nintendo has it right, and Sony is pretty much right there too, where the last few years have pretty much been just trailer drops with zero talking, maybe a few lines.

I'm indifferent to what the format is as long as the structure is good. I remember a few years ago Nintendo had a Direct, it may have been their first E3 one (but I cant remember exactly). Even though it was a pre-recorded video, I remember a few people here getting bored at some segments too. I believe they spent quite a bit of time on a Yoshi or Kirby game that some here said dragged on too long, and also I think the developers spoke too much about Hyrule Warriors (again, could be remembering the details wrong).

Honestly, Sony got it good. Trailer - trailer - gameplay - trailer, etc etc. No bullshit, no people in suits trying to appeal to us gamerz, etc.

A company like EA I don't think even needs a press conference anymore. Cut out all the sports stuff (look at our grass this time!), cut out evil CEO's pretending to be nice and sit downs with the devs and their conference is....10 minutes? No reason that little Battlefield V trailer and those couple of minutes of Anthem couldn't be in Microsoft's or Sony's conference. Then again, I will say giving Unravel 2 and SOS some time was nice of them.

I think it's safe to say E3 overall lost a lot of it's luster in the past few years. I always put the blame on the numerous leaks that happen and how loose companies are with announcements. I know it was leaked, but Rage 2 could have been a surprise instead of a Twitter announcement. That's why Nintendo's is always so alluring, they keep their shit close to the chest until they want it to be announced (for the most part).

tl;dr fuck EA

amen.

also totally forgot about Bethesda tonight, good call. I'm not into their stuff, Rage 2 has no meaning to me.
BUT, if they do announce something thats 5 years off, I wouldn't mind something Doom 2 related.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
so this e3 has been boring as hell so far

as for live presentations, I agree, for the most part, I think they should be avoided, or reinvented

one way to reinvent it that I considered is to basically turn it into a f'n talk show... a comedian comes out does a few jokes about the industry, int he way Conan might do on his talk show... not too much, and not played at all like some big show, a band plays him on, he does a few jokes, outlines their strategy (briefly) and then he sits down at a desk with a sofa to the side, and he says "my first guest is a director and producer at Platinum games, please welcome Hideki Kamiya" Kamiya comes out, they banter a littler, they que up a trailer for the game, then cut back as they discuss it, then use soem pre-recorded comedy bit to transition to the next guest... maybe kamiya stays on the couch, and the next guest is promoting a couch co-op game so Kamiya plays with the next guest... always make it a discussion between the host and the guest, not everybody talking at the viewers... if they can get a bunch of guests to stick around they can basically make it feel like a chat show.. like Graham Norton... end the whole show on a final trailer with NO context afterwards, something that doesn't need to be explained

Another way they could do it is to ONLY use a live event when they have something truly surprising to show, and in such a case, do not fluff it out wiht other content, but rather just keep the live portion short and sweet and awesome, and then just cut to a direct style presentation on a big screen for the rest

live moments CAN be big, and there are still chances for that to happen again, for example, google had its IO event this year and had like 2 or 3 wow moments... in particular when they had google assistant call to book an appointment with a real person... when the assistant said "mm hm" people laughed and it added to the moment, but ti should also be noted that the call wasn't live, it was just presented live... you don't necessarily need a live demo, just a live presentation of a pre-recorded demo... the trick here is that you have to save it for the VERY best moments... if you don't have anything that will make people gasp or laugh out loud, etc... then don't even bother... do it when you are announcing a new console, but again.... only if said console is a really big deal, and not just another evolution of what everybody already has.

but yeah, in like 99% of all cases I say a direct style presentation is best... I also say it is best to keep it short... nintendo did a 25 minute video last year, and PACKED it with content... Son't conference this year is book at like an hour and a half... that is going to cause fatigue

you DO NOT want people walking out of a conference with all of the answers, you want them walking out excited, curious, and full of questions to ask later in interviews

I think Nintendo has the perfect solution now... a short tightly condensed direct that packs a lot of content into a small running time, followed by 3 days of treehouse live, live demonstrations for media outlets, and games playable on the floor for the media along with reps to help answer questions...

If Nintendo had something mind blowing to show, then I would hope they would do a live event.. but when I say mind blowing i MEAN mind blowing... the kind of thing that happens every 10 or so years

In the meantime, get in, drop bombs, get out, and then say "got questions? treehouse live is up next"

theMightyME

So, the only games I have seen so far that interests me are cyber punk, and tales of vesperia (which was leaked as a multiplat (including switch) before it was shown)

Doom Eternal is a shitty name and I will say it everywhere I can. Everyone got a look of worry on their face when they announced it, because Doom Eternal does not scream Doom 2, it sounds like a spinoff, or even worse, a mobile spinoff. They need to change it asap.
Glad to see a bit of it, though.

My kinda game it looks amazing! Switch please! (Tho I wouldn’t bet on it)
literally says it right there in the trailer. I willed it.

lot of Switch mentions on Bethesda's stuff, reminding people of Wolf 2 coming and stuff. Not much coming from them other than mobile game ports, but thats to be expected.

sjmartin79

From Sony, I'm onboard for Spiderman, HK3, RE2, TLoU2, and potentially the Ghost game.
Not a huge fan of how they did their conference, but it was good to see more info on some of the games mentioned previously.

I do think releasing two major games within 4 days of each may not be the smartest move though.

I'm happy with the games they showed. I need to see more of Ghost since that demo was essentially "insert open world E3 demo here". I need to know more about what kind of activities you do in the world. Still, combat looks fun and it looks gorgeous.

Death Stranding I'm getting a bit tired of. Would like to know what kind of game it is.

I'm also interested in Control.

Goodtwin

The Nintendo Direct was solid, but left me pretty unenthusiastic in the end. Smash is a huge game for Nintendo, and I am sure plenty of you guys are jacked up for this new iteration, but myself never jelling with the series, watching nearly half of the direct on a game that I wont be buying was a bit disappointing. I was really hoping for a short trailer for both Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3. I am not shocked that those games wont be showing up this year, but after their announcement last year I would have hoped for at least a 30 second trailer for each game. The biggest surprise game for me was Daemon x Machina. It started the event off with some nice high energy action, and looked like a blast to play. While watching I was almost certain Platinum Games was going to be the developer, but nope, a collaboration between Marvelous and First Studio.

Fortnite on Switch may be the worst kept secret ever. LOL I think Nintendo needs to always keep a few announcements or teaser trailers in their back pocket. If Fortnite had been a complete surprise, that would have been pretty crazy, but its been rumored for a long time, and evidence started to surface as we got closer to E3.

I'm a DragonBall Z fan, so Fighter Z is a day one purchase for me. Starlink also looks more attractive with the inclusion of Star Fox. Hopefully they inject quite a bit of Star Fox into this game, and not just a quick novelty cameo appearance. Star Fox Zero fell flat, and it would be nice to be dog fighting with Fox without the tricky to learn controls of Zero.

So in the end I wasn't enamored with E3 this year, but at the same time I look at Switch's lineup going forward feeling really good about it. Lots of content that I am interested in. That Mario Rabbids DLC for example is tempting for me. Switch is doing well, and the future looks bright thanks to a healthy supply of great software.

sjmartin79

What he said.

I was hoping for more news. Happy for Smash fans. I don’t play it, but it looks great.

Maybe we’ll get some news over the next few days during Treehouse, but I’m not holding my breath.

mattavelle1

Crunk Ain’t Dead!!!
The Nintendo Direct was solid, but left me pretty unenthusiastic in the end. Smash is a huge game for Nintendo, and I am sure plenty of you guys are jacked up for this new iteration, but myself never jelling with the series, watching nearly half of the direct on a game that I wont be buying was a bit disappointing. I was really hoping for a short trailer for both Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3. I am not shocked that those games wont be showing up this year, but after their announcement last year I would have hoped for at least a 30 second trailer for each game. The biggest surprise game for me was Daemon x Machina. It started the event off with some nice high energy action, and looked like a blast to play. While watching I was almost certain Platinum Games was going to be the developer, but nope, a collaboration between Marvelous and First Studio.

Fortnite on Switch may be the worst kept secret ever. LOL I think Nintendo needs to always keep a few announcements or teaser trailers in their back pocket. If Fortnite had been a complete surprise, that would have been pretty crazy, but its been rumored for a long time, and evidence started to surface as we got closer to E3.

I'm a DragonBall Z fan, so Fighter Z is a day one purchase for me. Starlink also looks more attractive with the inclusion of Star Fox. Hopefully they inject quite a bit of Star Fox into this game, and not just a quick novelty cameo appearance. Star Fox Zero fell flat, and it would be nice to be dog fighting with Fox without the tricky to learn controls of Zero.

So in the end I wasn't enamored with E3 this year, but at the same time I look at Switch's lineup going forward feeling really good about it. Lots of content that I am interested in. That Mario Rabbids DLC for example is tempting for me. Switch is doing well, and the future looks bright thanks to a healthy supply of great software.
This is exactly how many of us felt. At the same time I’m excited for some many games comin to the switch.

Smash Bros is pretty great. That mech game looks cool. Was looking for one big surprise but alas, not in the cards this year. Nintnedo is betting the farm on smash Bros. I can't blame them

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Nintendo's E3, summed up:

"Hey Sakurai-san, who do you want in the next Smash Bros?"

There. You didn't need 30 minutes to tell us that. I get it, Smash has a big scene. For the rest of us who aren't into 2D fighters, though, that was a snooze-fest.

It was a very 2018 E3. The thing I'm most looking forward to is freaking story DLC for XBC2. Welcome to the future, I guess.

theMightyME

Nintendo's E3, summed up:

"Hey Sakurai-san, who do you want in the next Smash Bros?"

There. You didn't need 30 minutes to tell us that. I get it, Smash has a big scene. For the rest of us who aren't into 2D fighters, though, that was a snooze-fest.

It was a very 2018 E3. The thing I'm most looking forward to is freaking story DLC for XBC2. Welcome to the future, I guess.
all of the minutia could have been broken down at treehouse and that alone would have shortened it by like 10 minutes... a well cut trailer could have gotten all of that info down to like 5 minutes.... basically by showing the changes but not pointing to them... let gameexplain pour over it for months analyzing every frame... I mean there were some games with trailers and demos dropped and such on the day of the direct that didn't even get a mention on treehouse... like there is a demo for sega's shining resonance refrain on the eshop right now... which I only know because when I downloaded fortnite I checked the whole shop as I always do including the "games with demos" section under search