Upcoming eShop title Pokemon Rumble U to utilise NFC

EthanGK

The blunder from down under
Announced in early leaks of CoroCoro magazine, Pokemon Rumble U is going to utilise NFC. Dear God, it's happening D:The game is set to cost 1800 yen, with the figurines costing 200 yen ($2) each. At release, there will be six standard and one special figurine. The figures allow you to use the pokemon as well as save that pokemon's data on the figurine. I didn't know NFC could do that, that'll actually be a cool feature of it, being able to take your save data somewhere else! Yay, now I know a reason for NFC's existence :) This game will be out in Japan on April 24th. I'm not too interested in this game, having played the two previous installments I don't think there's much more I can get out of it. I'm not really interested in NFC either, but this is interesting news all the same.I can't read Japanese, so most of this means nothing at all to me, but here is the scan, the NFC stuff is near the bottom. What do you guys think?

EthanGK

The blunder from down under
Most likely. Also, with only 7 figurines (at least to start with) this feels like it's testing the waters, like the original Wii Pokemon Rumble did with the concept of the game (it kinda felt like a demo for the 3DS version). Feels like Game Freak will decide if they want to go down the NFC path from this game. God I hope they don't.

I hope that those Pokemon will be available in the game even if you don't buy the figurines. I'll still get the game because I love those type of games. I loved the Xmen games before they became marvel ultimate alliance but I'm not interested in stuff like that. Honestly I'd rather pay the $2 as DLC if they give you access to legendaries etc. The only positive use I could see for them is if you can take your favourite Pokemon, with all their stats saved on the figurine, over to your friends house to play on their Wii U. It's not something I'd do but it would be great for some people.

Cubits

Most likely. Also, with only 7 figurines (at least to start with) this feels like it's testing the waters, like the original Wii Pokemon Rumble did with the concept of the game (it kinda felt like a demo for the 3DS version). Feels like Game Freak will decide if they want to go down the NFC path from this game. God I hope they don't.
Imagine a pokemon card game which has levels and stat differences related to actual trainer development in-game. I think that's where we're heading here. :p

This would be cool if I was a kid going to a friend's house who also has this game. I could bring my character over, save the progress in the NFC figure and continue at home. At this point however, this game doesn't seem very appealing to me, especially now that NFC purchases are being encouraged.

I can live with a $20 "Skylanders" and $2 "skylanders" figurines compared to the real skylanders $70 retail games and $8-20 toy packs. Just saying.
Personally, I've always thought this idea was cool, and I was hoping it'd lead to more Japanese Arcade ports and sequels to the WiiU, but we'll see what actually happens.