Velocity Stream

hogge

[Verified Wii U Developer]

Hey there, enthusiasts!I'm CEO and designer at Cavelight Entertainment, a swedish indie developer.We are currently working on a unique racing game called Velocity Stream. It's an asymmetric racing game where one player controls an aircraft called a Paver. The Paver flies through the game world an leaves a trail of energy in its wake. It's on this road that the other players race each other, with the goal of being the first to catch up with the Paver.

We are a licensed Wii U developer, but currently lack a devkit.

That actually looks really good! You guys should try and do a kickstarter for 3.000$ so you can get a devkit. Would be a great fit for the eshop, since there aren't that many racing games coming.

That looks real fun. I'd love to play that with fellow TNE members. I would like to know though, how exactly is the gameplay for The Paver fun? Do they have a goal or not? Or is the fun just come from making the path hard for the others?

hogge

That looks real fun. I'd love to play that with fellow TNE members. I would like to know though, how exactly is the gameplay for The Paver fun? Do they have a goal or not? Or is the fun just come from making the path hard for the others?
Thanks for the comments, guys.The Pavers goal is to make sure that noone catches up to him. He wins if everyone else falls so far behind, that the road disappears from underneath them. The Paver also has a time-limit and must make sure to fly through the checkpoints to not run out of time.

Hey hogge.

I tried to get in touch with you about some coverage on Nintendo Enthusiast... add me on Skype and we can chat about different things we can try... sknygy

Mr-Chris

-Smashing!-
Thanks for the comments, guys.The Pavers goal is to make sure that noone catches up to him. He wins if everyone else falls so far behind, that the road disappears from underneath them. The Paver also has a time-limit and must make sure to fly through the checkpoints to not run out of time.
Oh all right, sounds good!

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
I feel like we haven't seen enough of the paver! I want to see what that beast looks like! To me, that sounds like one of the more fun aspects of the game yet we don't really have any good shots of it.

hogge

Here's a quick update.
I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but I've previously talked about making a splitscreen alpha available to the public. Well, we've been working hard and it seems like the version will be able during next month. A major step towards that has been the implementation of power-ups.

Anyone hazard a guess of what powerup that symbolizes?

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
You have the ability to make the road more narrow?

That could be fun if so to make the game more challenging, and then have it so you can even fall off the track if the paver chooses to do so. I'm curious to know about this.

hogge

That's a really odd article. It's the reason I always ask to read the article before the writers publish it.
There are going to be a few different modes and options to select, to give the game a longer lifespan.

Regarding the dynamic, the players can't really do anything to hurt the Paver apart from catching up.

Shoulder

Looking good so far, Hogge. The futuristic racer may not be as sought after by some as a normal arcade racer, but damn does the concept of this game intrigue me. Can't wait to see more in the coming months. :mgrin:

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys. We're buffing up all aspects of the visual presentation, while gameplay is shaping up nicely too.
Here's a peek of the massive freighter (1+kilometer long) towering over the city.
Thanks for the positive feedback, guys. We're buffing up all aspects of the visual presentation, while gameplay is shaping up nicely too.
Here's a peek of the massive freighter (1+kilometer long) towering over the city.

hogge

Here's a bit of a teaser trailer.

We have recently started testing the games online features. For all the european gaming fans, I can announce that we'll be present at Gamex in Stockholm later this month. At that point, we will have a playable version of the Velocity Stream.

And here are some new screenshots:

That's right, we've added a new racer. This one's a bit different, as the driver is in a prone position. Thus it's not as big as it looks.

hogge

Cool. When's this coming out? late 2015?
For the Wii U that may be the case.
However, the Steam version is much closer than that.

In fact, we allowed people to try the game out at ComicCon Gamex last month and the feedback was extremely positive. We've released a video just today and our Greenlight campaign launched last week.

hogge

It's been a while, but here's a new video from the game. Way higher rez and better framerate than any previous video.
In other news, we are also reworking the game's physics to make the game more forgiving and to make drifting more fun and useful.

Also, we have launched our Greenlight campaign. So please head inside and help us out: Link

hogge

Today we launched the demo for Velocity Stream.

So if you weren't present at ComicCon in Stockholm last year, this is your first chance to try the game out: Link.
The unique part of the demo is the config file, which enables you to experiment with vehicle handling and share with your friends.
So check it out!

Shoulder

Today we launched the demo for Velocity Stream.

So if you weren't present at ComicCon in Stockholm last year, this is your first chance to try the game out: Link.
The unique part of the demo is the config file, which enables you to experiment with vehicle handling and share with your friends.
So check it out!
Awesome sauce! I'll definitely check it out. :mthumb:

hogge

Downloading now. I'll experiment with it, and let you know what I discover in the coming days. :mthumb:
What are your conclusions?

I can happily announce that we've just released a new version of the demo, sporting bug fixes, vastly improved menus, improved lighting, added music and other stuff.

You can download the new version here.

Shoulder

What are your conclusions?

I can happily announce that we've just released a new version of the demo, sporting bug fixes, vastly improved menus, improved lighting, added music and other stuff.

You can download the new version here.
Aw, shit! I'm sorry, Hogge, I completely forgot to give the demo a shot. :( I downloaded it when I made my post, but it totally skipped my mind. I wanted to not only give it a shot, but record some footage in the process if that was alright.

I'll tell you what though, I'll download the new demo, and I'll have some impressions by tonight.

Shoulder

Hey Hogge. So I got a chance to play a little bit, and first impressions are you definitely got something here. There are times when the camera angle can be difficult, but that could also be part of the challenge of not always knowing what exactly is up ahead. Still, something I noticed.

Also, I was doing a little bit of fiddling with the paver and racer settings, and it got me thinking about the difficulty of the game. Let's say there's a game mode tentatively called "Chase the Paver," and depending on the difficult setting the paver will try and make the course more complicated while also being faster.

I was also thinking in terms of the speed of the racers themselves, and then I reminded myself of Mario Kart with its 50, 100, and 150cc class modes. Perhaps this is something you could implement in order to ease players into it, while then giving more experienced players more of a challenge.

Obviously, some racers will stick to the track like glue, while others will be more prone to drifting ala F-Zero GX.

Another thing is because this game does not rely on actual race tracks, and instead the infinite creation of the paver, game modes tailoring to different race types, or time trials could be useful. So maybe a time trial where you must catch up to the paver by a certain time threshold, or if you're the paver, hold off the racers until a certain time span. You could even add in average speed races, or ones where you race until you fall off the track (sort of infinite race until you fail).

I'm mostly just putting things out there.

In terms of performance, well, it's a beta, so things will of course get optimized as things go on. My AMD FX-8320 w/ a GTX770 and 8GB of ram on Win7 64-bit had little issue running this game at 1080p with high settings for the most part (I mostly played in 720p windowed mode in order to change settings easier), although there were times when performance slowed down, but this could simply be unoptimized code. I'm not too worried about that for the final product as this is just a beta.

I noticed the only controls I could get out of it were from the arrows on the keyboard (I know you can configure the controls, but I left them as is for now), so hopefully you'll add in gamepad support (could not get mine to work) for future demos because I'd like to give that a try. One final thing is after the race was over, I could not at all access the main menu anymore, even after pressing the button with my mouse. So I just close the window and restart.

So overall, first impressions from this latest demo are you got a great concept here, and I look forward into seeing what types of game modes you guys will provide, as well as what what the Wii U version has in store.

Not that this is too important, but I would imagine for a game such as this, you'll be targeting 60fps and at least 720p for the Wii U version, is that correct?

hogge

Hey Hogge. So I got a chance to play a little bit, and first impressions are you definitely got something here. There are times when the camera angle can be difficult, but that could also be part of the challenge of not always knowing what exactly is up ahead. Still, something I noticed.
This is something we're aware of, a smarter camera is, among other things, in the works.

Also, I was doing a little bit of fiddling with the paver and racer settings, and it got me thinking about the difficulty of the game. Let's say there's a game mode tentatively called "Chase the Paver," and depending on the difficult setting the paver will try and make the course more complicated while also being faster.

I was also thinking in terms of the speed of the racers themselves, and then I reminded myself of Mario Kart with its 50, 100, and 150cc class modes. Perhaps this is something you could implement in order to ease players into it, while then giving more experienced players more of a challenge.

Obviously, some racers will stick to the track like glue, while others will be more prone to drifting ala F-Zero GX.
That is very much what we're aiming for. The game will have three difficulty classes. The thing is just that that wasn't objective of the demo.

As I said, if you find a difficulty setting and enjoyable vehicle handling, please go ahead and send it to me. That's what the demo's for :)

Another thing is because this game does not rely on actual race tracks, and instead the infinite creation of the paver, game modes tailoring to different race types, or time trials could be useful. So maybe a time trial where you must catch up to the paver by a certain time threshold, or if you're the paver, hold off the racers until a certain time span. You could even add in average speed races, or ones where you race until you fall off the track (sort of infinite race until you fail).
While the first release won't contain that many modes, this game idea really does cater towards having a billion zaney game modes.
So naturally, feedback will be appreciated.
I'm mostly just putting things out there.

In terms of performance, well, it's a beta, so things will of course get optimized as things go on. My AMD FX-8320 w/ a GTX770 and 8GB of ram on Win7 64-bit had little issue running this game at 1080p with high settings for the most part (I mostly played in 720p windowed mode in order to change settings easier), although there were times when performance slowed down, but this could simply be unoptimized code. I'm not too worried about that for the final product as this is just a beta.
We've been taking measures towards making the game less demanding.

I noticed the only controls I could get out of it were from the arrows on the keyboard (I know you can configure the controls, but I left them as is for now), so hopefully you'll add in gamepad support (could not get mine to work) for future demos because I'd like to give that a try. One final thing is after the race was over, I could not at all access the main menu anymore, even after pressing the button with my mouse. So I just close the window and restart.
Gamepad support is in the works.
Closing the window and restarting is the way to go anyways, since we have a significant bug with the brakes if you go back to the menu, LOL.
So overall, first impressions from this latest demo are you got a great concept here, and I look forward into seeing what types of game modes you guys will provide, as well as what what the Wii U version has in store.

Not that this is too important, but I would imagine for a game such as this, you'll be targeting 60fps and at least 720p for the Wii U version, is that correct?
Thanks for your feedback!

Like I said, your feedback is important to us and we'll gladly take more. And if you create a config that you're happy with, please send it back to us.

Shoulder

This is something we're aware of, a smarter camera is, among other things, in the works.

That is very much what we're aiming for. The game will have three difficulty classes. The thing is just that that wasn't objective of the demo.

As I said, if you find a difficulty setting and enjoyable vehicle handling, please go ahead and send it to me. That's what the demo's for :)

While the first release won't contain that many modes, this game idea really does cater towards having a billion zaney game modes.
So naturally, feedback will be appreciated.

We've been taking measures towards making the game less demanding.

Gamepad support is in the works.
Closing the window and restarting is the way to go anyways, since we have a significant bug with the brakes if you go back to the menu, LOL.

Thanks for your feedback!

Like I said, your feedback is important to us and we'll gladly take more. And if you create a config that you're happy with, please send it back to us.
I'll fart around with the settings and work with it, and send it to you guys. It may be a few days, but I'll test out some different settings. The only ones I really messed with were the min/max speed of the Paver, and as well as the RPM setting of the racer. With a faster racer though requires a bit of tinkering with the other settings as to not make the whole thing uncontrollable.

I'll see what I discover.

hogge

Damn, I've noticed it's been a while since last update.
The game is now out on Steam and we are yet to start the Wii U port.

Right before chrismas we released a new patch. It included a brand new racer. After all the comments that the "Cricket" looked like a motorcycle, we decided to release an actual motorcycle racer, whch you can see below. It's inspired by Extreme G for the N64.

Also, we threw in an extra map, the christmas level, which is a strong deviation from the other maps available. You can see it all below.