[Video Games] PBS New Webseries "Game/Show"

"PBS is furnishing a new weekly webseries called Game/Show, produced by Kornhaber Brown and focusing specifically on video games. The first episode attempts to analyze the popularity and staying power of three gaming icons: Mario of the brothers Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog and Link, wielder of the Triforce.
Will we still be playing games starring Mario in 2577? What makes these characters so endearing? Brown suggests it's the shared monomyth
themes. Monomyth, a term coined by Joseph Campbell, involves a basic hero's journey where an everyman protagonist is thrust into an extraordinary situation, overcomes all odds and returns home to bestow goods and favor upon their friends and family. Yup, we have plenty of that going on in games
."
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/28/pbs-introduces-game-show-new-webseries-analyzing-video-games/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fjoystiq+(Joystiq)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQMm4Wi2GwU

Truthfully, it's hard to say until Miyamoto passes... unless he's turns himself into some kind of cyborg, brain in a computer, head in a Jar Ghost in the Shell, Futurama style thing. (Or maybe... it can be less dark and depressing and we'll find out for sure when Miyamoto retires, lol)
Although it's hard for me to imagine a world where there is over 5,000 Pokemon, I guess it can happen!
------------
You know, thinking more about it. We are an arrogant species of Animal. What REALLY lasts forever? Will characters like the Mickey Mouse, Batman, Scooby Doo, Astroboy, Doraemon, or Bugs Bunny last forever? Will 3 Musketeers, Odysseus, or Hercules last forever?
I'm sure the pharaohs thought their tombs would go untouched by others forever. I'm sure each generation thought the Bible would be interpreted the same and transparently since it's inception. What I'm getting at is we tend to think things last forever, and we really have no idea how long they truly will. Corporations do seem like something set up to last long past it's creator's lineage, but we never know what will happen next or to society that could completely change or revolutionize things. (I'm not saying some kind of fall of Olympus kind of apocalypse will happen, but we don't know if what we are certain to succeed might get lapped and left in the dust by a newer fledgling concept or idea)
There is something very cool about looking back or interpreting the humble digital plumber, Mario as some classical hero from ages ago like King Arthur or Robin Hood, but I think that might be a pipe dream. (PUN INTENDED!! Deal with it!)

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
lol at people playing mario 5 and a half centuries from now.
there's a good chance there won't even be people 5 and a half centuries from now.
half-life 3... maybe... probably still alpha.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Yeah I'm of the opinion that if anyone is playing Mario games in the future, say 2557, they will be evolved chickens, not people, and they will only play on Sunday and only in between reruns of Malcom in the Middle....
All hail the coming age of 11 herbs and spices....

Kentucky Fried People....

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Mass Effect 3 was a pretty standard example of the monomyth, though the details of the journey changed interactively, and it was set in space (no different from earlier myths set in some ridiculous heaven-land, I guess). I always thought it was stupid that it was called a space opera, when the much more correct term was space epic. It's just too bad the last 15 minutes couldn't live up to the previous 100 hours of the series, though, or it really could have lived on as a classic.
Anyway, good to see the PBS taking on a program like this.

lol at people playing mario 5 and a half centuries from now.
there's a good chance there won't even be people 5 and a half centuries from now.
half-life 3... maybe... probably still alpha.
and beyond good and evil 2, still in pre-pre-alpha