Virtual Console is over

FriedShoes

MLG
Staff member
yeah. Preferably, I'd want all their games to just be part of the regular subscription service. Its hard to say if that will happen, I think SNES is a shoe-in, it was even one of the games mentioned back when the Nintendo Online service was first revealed. Later consoles, idk, but we'll see. I think this is the path of most excitement, as the other features that are a part of the service arent really all that exciting. I think all will be clear once the first drop of games after the initial 20-game release happens. If its dripfeed, I have very little hope. If its abundant, we're good.
Reggie is gonna be grilled hard over how expansive the service will be at E3.

I cant imagine a marketplace where Nintendo is selling SNES games for 8 dollars on the eshop. Thats ludicrous now. However, the fact that the classic games in the subscription service can be played offline gives me pause, makes it sound like they will definitely be downloadable, which opens the door for Nintendo to sell them individually on the eshop under a name that isnt as dumb sounding as "Virtual Console"

Sega is already going their own way by doing the Sega Ages stuff. I do wonder what the third party situation will be for the classic games service. Sega is out, SNK is out. Kinda want Capcom and Konami stuff as a part of it.

Anyways, yeah, its real fucking dumb to assume Nintendo is not gonna unleash their SNES/N64/GB/GBA library onto the Switch in some way. I just reeeaally hope its not some dripfeed shit again.

simplyTravis

"A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"
I actually kind of hope it's slowly brought out. I like having something new to look forward to every month. When they release9 entire libraries at a time it's hard to keep up.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Staff member
Can't wait to play NES Golf with you guys. Our game nights will never be same once we're all in that Balloon Fight. We could even stream a great session of Excitebike multiplayer!

Excitebike would actually be pretty fun, to be honest.

Odo

Can't wait to play NES Golf with you guys. Our game nights will never be same once we're all in that Balloon Fight. We could even stream a great session of Excitebike multiplayer!

Excitebike would actually be pretty fun, to be honest.
You mean VC is useless?

Odo

yeah. Preferably, I'd want all their games to just be part of the regular subscription service. Its hard to say if that will happen, I think SNES is a shoe-in, it was even one of the games mentioned back when the Nintendo Online service was first revealed. Later consoles, idk, but we'll see. I think this is the path of most excitement, as the other features that are a part of the service arent really all that exciting. I think all will be clear once the first drop of games after the initial 20-game release happens. If its dripfeed, I have very little hope. If its abundant, we're good.
Reggie is gonna be grilled hard over how expansive the service will be at E3.

I cant imagine a marketplace where Nintendo is selling SNES games for 8 dollars on the eshop. Thats ludicrous now. However, the fact that the classic games in the subscription service can be played offline gives me pause, makes it sound like they will definitely be downloadable, which opens the door for Nintendo to sell them individually on the eshop under a name that isnt as dumb sounding as "Virtual Console"

Sega is already going their own way by doing the Sega Ages stuff. I do wonder what the third party situation will be for the classic games service. Sega is out, SNK is out. Kinda want Capcom and Konami stuff as a part of it.

Anyways, yeah, its real fucking dumb to assume Nintendo is not gonna unleash their SNES/N64/GB/GBA library onto the Switch in some way. I just reeeaally hope its not some dripfeed shit again.
Good point. If they release VC on NSW to make us buy all the games again, kinda nonsense. The same happens on PS, anyway, but I don't want to have buy Ocarina of Time again, but I would, mind you, lol.

Koenig

The Architect
My thoughts on the matter.

Unless Nintendo plans to comprehensively cover their entire catalog of classic games to their online service, some form of reliable VCON service should really be in place so that we can get ahold of these old games.

Twenty NES games a year simply is not a good deal; as with a few exceptions, the entire NES library has aged beyond poorly. The SNES, N64, GB, GBC, and GBA all have far better libraries to draw from. Perhaps Nintendo will pick other games to add to the service, but in a way that is even worse. We really should not have to be at the companies mercy as to what games we are "allowed" to play; just let us just buy the damn games that we want to actually play rather than hold them hostage.

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Staff member
You mean VC is useless?
No, VC would have been cool. I was more poking fun at the 20 NES games this online service is going to provide, and how having online multiplayer is supposed to make them appealing.

GaemzDood

Well, I think it's safe to say Microsoft is officially dominating the backwards compatibility competition.

I always envisioned that, for Nintendo's next console/handheld with the spec sheet I made, they would update N64 and GameCube games' resolution and framerate similar to what Microsoft is doing with original Xbox and (some) 360 games.

Last edited:

GaemzDood

And the Wii U's VCON was rubbish compared to the Wii's by the end of its lifespan.
It's all rubbish. I recently played Wii VC on my friend's OG Wii and the input lag is nuts, even in 60 FPS titles like Super Mario Bros. Just to make sure my head wasn't messing with me, I used an NES emulator on my smartphone, and it played fine.

On top of that, Nintendo was super selective about 3rd party titles, probably due to licensing issues. The problem with that being that most of my favorite Super Famicom (that's the real name, deal with it) and N64 titles were 3rd party.

FriedShoes

MLG
Staff member
Ooh some of the most FUCKED responses to this ""'news"" was people straight up lying at how good the VC emulation was.
One of the very first posts I made the IGN boards was a thread about how washed out the colors on my Wii VC purchases looked. And it only got worse on Wii U, everything looked like it had a 50% gray overlay on it, it was bad. And on top of that most games aren't perfect emulation, they're good enough.

No, the only good thing about VC was that it was, for some games, relatively cheap compared to buying the physical versions on eBay. But because people can't get their facts and logic I order, you got morons hyperbolizing without abandon.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Staff member
It's all rubbish. I recently played Wii VC on my friend's OG Wii and the input lag is nuts, even in 60 FPS titles like Super Mario Bros. Just to make sure my head wasn't messing with me, I used an NES emulator on my smartphone, and it played fine.
I'd like to test this, because when I got Super Mario Bros 3 for the Wii VC back in 2010, I felt like I was dying to a lot of easy jumps for no reason. Now that I've been playing fighting games for a while, I think I'd be better able to discern that input latency than back then.

GaemzDood

I'd like to test this, because when I got Super Mario Bros 3 for the Wii VC back in 2010, I felt like I was dying to a lot of easy jumps for no reason. Now that I've been playing fighting games for a while, I think I'd be better able to discern that input latency than back then.
I actually have an easier time playing retro games on a touchscreen than I do on the Wii's virtual console, that's saying something. Ocarina of Time is basically unplayable. The game originally had a crap ton of input latency owing to it being capped at 20 FPS, but it's so bad on the Wii that aiming in the first person can take minutes to do right.

The Wii probably has the worst console emulation of all time, right next to the Xbox 360. When you look at those consoles' emulators and look at the Xbox One's, it shows how far we've come.

GaemzDood

Ooh some of the most FUCKED responses to this ""'news"" was people straight up lying at how good the VC emulation was.
One of the very first posts I made the IGN boards was a thread about how washed out the colors on my Wii VC purchases looked. And it only got worse on Wii U, everything looked like it had a 50% gray overlay on it, it was bad. And on top of that most games aren't perfect emulation, they're good enough.

No, the only good thing about VC was that it was, for some games, relatively cheap compared to buying the physical versions on eBay. But because people can't get their facts and logic I order, you got morons hyperbolizing without abandon.
And then you have people who actually have the audacity to say that if you don't play the Wii/Wii U's awful emulation and put up with stupid amounts of input lag, you're "robbing" the developers. Uh, no, when I emulate a game, I want to enhance it, not downgrade it.

That's why I love the Xbox One X so much despite the lack of exclusives. Microsoft is actually enhancing 360 games without any optimizations whatsoever, it's all apparently done at a hardware level. Hell, even games that aren't enhanced get 16xAF forced no matter what, and if they're using dynamic res (i.e. Rage, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Doom 3 BFG) or an adaptive v-sync, it's eliminated. That's in addition to night and day framerate improvements in some games. I'll reiterate: that's all done at a hardware level.

The purpose of emulating games is to preserve them. If your emulator makes the game worse, then it fails.

That said, Microsoft's OG Xbox emulator on 360 was even worse. Despite forcing MSAA on some titles, a lot of them actually ran worse and were missing visual features (Shenmue 2's stencil shadows, for example).

Last edited:

Odo

On top of that, Nintendo was super selective about 3rd party titles, probably due to licensing issues. The problem with that being that most of my favorite Super Famicom (that's the real name, deal with it) and N64 titles were 3rd party.
Talking about emulators, I'd like to ask the old question: is emulation that bad compared to VC? is VC so much advanced compared to emulation?

We all here had this conversation before when it was like there was some sort of very complex reason why 3DS/Wii U just couldn't emulate SNES/NES games like any cheap mobile phone can. Is this true? Because Nintendo says that releasing old games are complicated because making them work is super hard, but I feel like nobody really believes that and if it's true that there's a reason, I always forget what it is.

Last edited:

Odo

And the Wii U's VCON was rubbish compared to the Wii's by the end of its lifespan.
Wii's VC library is just priceless, you know..

I remember back then how many people were buying Wii just for VC.

I thought that the VC library was just going to grow on Wii U, then all that conversation about "how super complex it is to release a VC game" and "you have to pay $2 to download it because of the poor engineer who worked hard on that".

I don't complain about paying though, but I just don't get why can't we just have all NES/SNES library available on every Nintendo system by default. It's seems like my mouse and keyboard has more technology in them than Super Mario World by now.

Odo

My first time playing SMB3 was on Wii. That might explain why I didn't enjoy it. I was so rubbish at jumping that I got confidence issues for a year.

GaemzDood

Talking about emulators, I'd like to ask the old question: is emulation that bad compared to VC? is VC so much advanced compared to emulation?

We all here had this conversation before when it was like there was some sort of very complex reason why 3DS/Wii U just couldn't emulate SNES/NES games like any cheap mobile phone can. Is this true? Because Nintendo says that releasing old games are complicated because making them work is super hard, but I feel like nobody really believes that and if it's true that there's a reason, I always forget what it is.
In terms of input lag, the VC is horrible.

Last edited:

Koenig

The Architect
My question is this; what valid reason is there to not sell the VCON games separately in addition to the main Nintendo online service? There are literally HUNDREDS of old Nintendo games I would happily buy for the right price (If I have not bought them already on Wii/Wii U/3DS); there is absolutely no need to nickle dime the fanbase like this.

If Nintendo is worried about "flooding" the e-shop, just market the games at a markup price (VCON titles default price is already overpriced) and then offer weekly discounts on select VCON titles. Got a new Metroid game coming out? Drop the price of Super Metroid to 99 cents to entice fans and newcomers alike. New Super Mario? Put the original NES or SNES games at a similar discount. The next Zelda coming out? OoT and Link to the past on a super sale!

There are literally dozens of different ways Nintendo could be handling this that would benefit both Nintendo and consumers alike, while driving hype and excitement for their games and history. Nintendo's online service is far from the worst thing I have seen, but it far FAR from what it ideally could be if done right.

Odo

My question is this; what valid reason is there to not sell the VCON games separately in addition to the main Nintendo online service? There are literally HUNDREDS of old Nintendo games I would happily buy for the right price (If I have not bought them already on Wii/Wii U/3DS); there is absolutely no need to nickle dime the fanbase like this.

If Nintendo is worried about "flooding" the e-shop, just market the games at a markup price (VCON titles default price is already overpriced) and then offer weekly discounts on select VCON titles. Got a new Metroid game coming out? Drop the price of Super Metroid to 99 cents to entice fans and newcomers alike. New Super Mario? Put the original NES or SNES games at a similar discount. The next Zelda coming out? OoT and Link to the past on a super sale!

There are literally dozens of different ways Nintendo could be handling this that would benefit both Nintendo and consumers alike, while driving hype and excitement for their games and history. Nintendo's online service is far from the worst thing I have seen, but it far FAR from what it ideally could be if done right.
Flooding the e-shop is a non issue in my opinion. More games is always better.

I don't need to re-buy an app when I replace my iphone. I get that every Nintendo console is architectural different, but still, emulating games is not really that hard, right? Although they don't really "emulate", I mean, they say that it's something else, but shouldn't be that complex.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Staff member
I'd agree on a "flood" of Nintendo games, but...how much different would the Switch eShop look if all of those games were there? How many people would have just gone and bought OoT and ALttP again?
I was complaining a few months back when I played Super Metroid on a Pi...but it was at a friend's place, and they didn't have game mode turned on with their TV, which remedied the problem. But that lag was super noticeable. I've never felt anything like that on Wii/Wii U VCON games.

Socar

The concept of VC may not be around but that doesn't mean Nintendo will not find a way to bring back retro games to the Switch. Remember that you can still play VC games on 3DS and Wii U and there's the classic editions that gave them free money. With this in mind, there is no way in hell that Nintendo would NOT give a damn about retro gaming because the ones that are into this are part of their audience and losing that means losing a larger demographic for them and Nintendo can't let that go off.

Also, they said currently, that doesn't mean its permanent now does it?

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
I think the vcon model is bad, it precludes enhancements fixes game prices to systems they were on, etc...

So I am kind of happy vc is dead

But I also don't conflate vc with any means if playing those games on a new Nintendo system...

I imagine that eventually Nintendo will release their classics in a multitude of ways... Individual eshop games without the VC branding, the expanding subscription service library, franchise legacy packages (think the mega man compilations) other legacy collections (think nes classic, but as software), perhaps included on other software like super metroid coming as a bonus from the menu of metroid prime 4...

I think all of this is just nintendo breaking from the FORMAT of virtual console, and that is a good thing imo

Koenig

The Architect
If the way they handled the conversion from Club Nintendo to My Nintendo was an example of breaking format, I am not giving them much credit right now. Nintendo definitely could do something far better than the VCON ever was; I just don't expect them to.

Odo

I don't want Netflix of nintendo games. The best format for me is just press a button to buy a game. I want to pay $X for Ocarina of Time and have it there in my machine. I can't see any other better format. NES collections are useless for me and I don't want a SNES collections full of games I don't care.

Besides, those games can be emulated in a fridge these days. Releasing them for Switch must be easy peasy for them.

And for those who think that it's just easier to just buy a SNES and find the cartridges. My reply is: go to hell. :p

theMightyME

I don't want Netflix of nintendo games. The best format for me is just press a button to buy a game. I want to pay $X for Ocarina of Time and have it there in my machine. I can't see any other better format. NES collections are useless for me and I don't want a SNES collections full of games I don't care.

Besides, those games can be emulated in a fridge these days. Releasing them for Switch must be easy peasy for them.

And for those who think that it's just easier to just buy a SNES and find the cartridges. My reply is: go to hell. :p
personally I think a netflix for classics is the best option, but with a rotating catalog, and then having the games available in various ways...

ideally it would be like the way music is sold in digital stores... I can buy the track (a game) or the album (a collection of games)... the album cost less then individually buying every track, but perhaps I can get a discount by buying an album that i already own a track from.... and if tracks are packaged in multiple albums I can save using that discount too

like.... lets say the legend of zelda is $5 by itself, but it is also a part of the nes classic edition pack which comes with 30 games for $60... so instead of buying the game by itself, I buy the pack... but then later a 2d zelda anthology pack is released, and that zelda game is also part of that pack... that pack includes zelda 1, zelda 2, lttp, minish cap, oracle of ages, and oracle of seasons... each game is $5 (just to make the example easier)... the anthology is $20.... but sicne I already have the first zelda i get $5 off the price.... lets say I also bought an individual copy of lttp before, so that is another $5 off... then lets say I bought a pack that included oracles of seasons and oracle of ages that was $8, for eahc game I get another $5 off.... so that 2d zelda anthology is just listed as FREE for me... if I also owned a copy of minish cap it wouldn't change the price as it was already free...

I think thta kind of thing gamifys buyign games.. and I could see people buying packs they normally wouldn't because it was worth it to them for the savings it made on other packs... you wouldn't have to do anything special.. it would just apply itself automatically in the store

I think gamifying the eshop works... from personally experience I spent mor eon the wii u eshop then I would have otherwise because I knew for just one $8 eshop game I could finish off another digital deluxe bonus.... so I bought games I would normally hold off on, because it meant getting more money for other games... i didn't buy stuff I didn't want.. but I did buy stuff that I would have othersie taken a wait and see approach on... it was only further gamefied with club nintendo

I ended up saving a lot of money, but I bet I also spent significantly more than I would have if those programs hadn't existed

so it was a net positive for nintendo

I always though doing away with the digital deluxe promo was stupid... and that it should have just been automatic... every time you reached $50 spent you got $5 automatically dumped into your eshop wallet... I honestly think it would have increased revenue for nitnendo

I am still against the virtual console system though... there are times in which we should have gotten arcade perfect ports that came to other systems, but we got console compromised versions instead because they fit the VC mold... to me that was infuriating...

nintendo and 3rd parties both stuck way to stringently to the whole "console perfect port" mentality... like at that point they should have just given us ff6, we really didn't need to reconfuse younger gamers with ff3, and all fo those street fighter 2 games.. fuck them all... we could have had the arcade versions

I think it should be game first in the approach, not format first... for super mario bros, yeah, give us the nes version, for donkey kong... no... give us the arcade build, for street fighter 2 give us the arcade build, and mortal kombat? again.. arcade, not the ugly genesis port, or the sanitized snes port, the arcade game... if the home version is better, give us that, if it is arguable... GIVE US BOTH as options... if a game had a serious problem... fix it.. don't preserve the error

that was the problem with VC it was too in love with the idea of itself... it was too PURE, ot its own undoing

Odo

personally I think a netflix for classics is the best option, but with a rotating catalog, and then having the games available in various ways...

ideally it would be like the way music is sold in digital stores... I can buy the track (a game) or the album (a collection of games)... the album cost less then individually buying every track, but perhaps I can get a discount by buying an album that i already own a track from.... and if tracks are packaged in multiple albums I can save using that discount too

like.... lets say the legend of zelda is $5 by itself, but it is also a part of the nes classic edition pack which comes with 30 games for $60... so instead of buying the game by itself, I buy the pack... but then later a 2d zelda anthology pack is released, and that zelda game is also part of that pack... that pack includes zelda 1, zelda 2, lttp, minish cap, oracle of ages, and oracle of seasons... each game is $5 (just to make the example easier)... the anthology is $20.... but sicne I already have the first zelda i get $5 off the price.... lets say I also bought an individual copy of lttp before, so that is another $5 off... then lets say I bought a pack that included oracles of seasons and oracle of ages that was $8, for eahc game I get another $5 off.... so that 2d zelda anthology is just listed as FREE for me... if I also owned a copy of minish cap it wouldn't change the price as it was already free...

I think thta kind of thing gamifys buyign games.. and I could see people buying packs they normally wouldn't because it was worth it to them for the savings it made on other packs... you wouldn't have to do anything special.. it would just apply itself automatically in the store

I think gamifying the eshop works... from personally experience I spent mor eon the wii u eshop then I would have otherwise because I knew for just one $8 eshop game I could finish off another digital deluxe bonus.... so I bought games I would normally hold off on, because it meant getting more money for other games... i didn't buy stuff I didn't want.. but I did buy stuff that I would have othersie taken a wait and see approach on... it was only further gamefied with club nintendo

I ended up saving a lot of money, but I bet I also spent significantly more than I would have if those programs hadn't existed

so it was a net positive for nintendo

I always though doing away with the digital deluxe promo was stupid... and that it should have just been automatic... every time you reached $50 spent you got $5 automatically dumped into your eshop wallet... I honestly think it would have increased revenue for nitnendo

I am still against the virtual console system though... there are times in which we should have gotten arcade perfect ports that came to other systems, but we got console compromised versions instead because they fit the VC mold... to me that was infuriating...

nintendo and 3rd parties both stuck way to stringently to the whole "console perfect port" mentality... like at that point they should have just given us ff6, we really didn't need to reconfuse younger gamers with ff3, and all fo those street fighter 2 games.. fuck them all... we could have had the arcade versions

I think it should be game first in the approach, not format first... for super mario bros, yeah, give us the nes version, for donkey kong... no... give us the arcade build, for street fighter 2 give us the arcade build, and mortal kombat? again.. arcade, not the ugly genesis port, or the sanitized snes port, the arcade game... if the home version is better, give us that, if it is arguable... GIVE US BOTH as options... if a game had a serious problem... fix it.. don't preserve the error

that was the problem with VC it was too in love with the idea of itself... it was too PURE, ot its own undoing
I agree.

I just want that whatever the packs or discounts, I can buy a single game as I buy a single song on iPhone.

Koenig

The Architect
I agree with most of those points. A Netflix catalog with alternate ways of buying these old games would definitely be best (The more options the merrier). I also agree that Nintendo was way to obsessed with "Console perfect ports" when they should have just been releasing the games to begin with (Which is a little ironic, considering how washed out and distorted many of the VCON titles were). Some of the best games I played on my 3DS were the ambassador ports of various GBA games; yet none of these were ever made available to regular users on the E-shop. Why?

I don't need to have restore points or for the game to be saved at the exact frame it was at when I left, I just want to be able to play the damn game; If Nintendo gave me the choice of having a few select games with those features or having all of their games without, I would happily take the latter.

The biggest issue for me is that Nintendo has never really provided a comprehensive "VCON" library. With the exception of maybe the Wii late into its lifespan, the VCON has always been set to a painstakingly slow drip of seemingly random titles.
It really should not be this hard for me to play Nintendo's own games; It should not be easier for me to dabble with emulators and roms to play Nintendo games than it is for me to just to go Nintendo's own store and buy the games in question. I have money I am willing and happy to spend if they would just give me the product that I want, which they already have, but refuse to sell.

theMightyME

I agree with most of those points. A Netflix catalog with alternate ways of buying these old games would definitely be best (The more options the merrier). I also agree that Nintendo was way to obsessed with "Console perfect ports" when they should have just been releasing the games to begin with (Which is a little ironic, considering how washed out and distorted many of the VCON titles were). Some of the best games I played on my 3DS were the ambassador ports of various GBA games; yet none of these were ever made available to regular users on the E-shop. Why?

I don't need to have restore points or for the game to be saved at the exact frame it was at when I left, I just want to be able to play the damn game; If Nintendo gave me the choice of having a few select games with those features or having all of their games without, I would happily take the latter.

The biggest issue for me is that Nintendo has never really provided a comprehensive "VCON" library. With the exception of maybe the Wii late into its lifespan, the VCON has always been set to a painstakingly slow drip of seemingly random titles.
It really should not be this hard for me to play Nintendo's own games; It should not be easier for me to dabble with emulators and roms to play Nintendo games than it is for me to just to go Nintendo's own store and buy the games in question. I have money I am willing and happy to spend if they would just give me the product that I want, which they already have, but refuse to sell.
I fully understand the slow drip, I don't like it, but I get it...

games can get lost in the shuffle, and they wouldn't get as many sales on them if they dumped them all at once, because nobody would buy them all at once, and as weeks go by their buying would slow since the releases would be buried under other titles

if purchases carried over, like they do on a phone... so that if you buy it on switch, you also have it on switch's successor, and so on and so forth in perpetuity then the slow drip would eventually end

this is also the best possible argument for a FULL netflix style service, a FULL netflix style service (which nintendo would never offer for $20 a year, and most consumers wouldn't pay for at $10 a month) wouldn't need a slow drip at all to begin with... consider if nintendo made a full netflix style service and didn't limit it to switch, perhaps they would put out cheaper hardware that only used that service (and possibly apps like the actual netflix as well), and then maybe even made it available on PC... 1 subscription, working on all of them... hell, if they kept it limited to n64 and under (in file sizes) they could literally stream the games to us as we play them without the massive bandwidth needed for true cloud gaming... maybe that IS the best option, with gamecube and up games only available as purchases, but the first 3 systems (and handheld systems) offered in the streaming service

the problem is that every ideal has an aspect that doesn't make sense.... as I said offering that many games for $20 a year severely undervalues nintendo's brand, and they would never do that... but how many people would pay $10 a month? there is a compromise that is hard to land there

if we go with purchases, I already mentioend the problems with not having a slow drip... not problems for US, but problems for nintendo

as for games having special features... save states is NOTHING, and would never be a cause for a slow drip or not... save states have been a part of emulation since emulation began... it wouldn't even have an effect on releasing the roms at all

the features they are adding are different.. online play on multiplayer titles is the big one, but the other one they mentioned might be even cooler, the ability to share a game with somebody else, as you play, they watch, and at any time you can virtually pass the controller... that is AMAZING... as it calls back to an experience that a lot of us had when we were kids... where you hit a aprt of the game you aren't good at, and you pass your cotnroller to a friend or sibling, or just in general take turns playing through a game together... hell, I remember first getting my playstation, and playing the first suikoden game like that with a friend... he basically stayed at my house for 3 days and we put a sizeable chunk into the game... I ended up finishing it by myself because we couldn't arrange to play together like that all the time... but online.... online we could... we are both very late nighters, and I could see us playing through some rpgs together like this... hell it is something I wish they would put into new games... did you know you can play old final fantasy games in multiplayer... like 1 person controls everything until you get into battles, and then the battles have up to 4 players, each controlling a member of your party... imagine that, but also being able to pass the controller virtually... we could have 4 of us playing through an epic rpg together

I also understand the purpose of releasing games more slowly for effect... I remember when they announced it as 1 free game a month, and only for that month, my mind instantly dove to the idea of a book club... and that could be soo sooo cool... if they said "hey guys, it is march 1st, so our game club for the month is super metroid"... then that game became free to us and we would all be playign at the same time (not exactly, but within the same month), and the way that would drive conversations about the game during that period... websites would be writing tons of articles about playign that specific game, social media groups would blow up... and nitnendo themselves could get on board, releasing console themes, and having lets plays with treehouse, and special itnerviews with key staff (iwata asks style)... that is a special kinf od experience that simply cannot be done by just dumping all games at once

CitizenOfVerona

Spectacular
Staff member
So are those NES games exclusive to Switch Online? Say, for example, in the future if hell freezes over and they release Soul Blazer on Switch, do you think I can buy it as is or do I have to pay 20 bucks a year to have the privilege of buying a SNES game?

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Staff member
So are those NES games exclusive to Switch Online? Say, for example, in the future if hell freezes over and they release Soul Blazer on Switch, do you think I can buy it as is or do I have to pay 20 bucks a year to have the privilege of buying a SNES game?
We won't know until we hear about the VC service in total. I'd wager they aren't going to lock everything into Switch Online, but...well, if they want to get that subscription money like Sony is raking in (albeit at a higher annual rate), who knows?
the features they are adding are different.. online play on multiplayer titles is the big one, but the other one they mentioned might be even cooler, the ability to share a game with somebody else, as you play, they watch, and at any time you can virtually pass the controller... that is AMAZING... as it calls back to an experience that a lot of us had when we were kids...
The more I think on it, the better that does sound. Of course, I'm assuming "hey, we all get on and chat while we're playing the game and laugh at each other messing up, and maybe they allow the other person to pause the game, ruining your jumps like in the old days" and that still requires us all in a Discord room, but...eh, $20, I guess.

Odo

All those super incredible features you're all talking about are nice. Let's have them all.

Have the option to buy a single game is still the best, though.

Can we have them all?

FriedShoes

MLG
Staff member
Well I think that's still happening too, it's just not something you'd talk about on your webpage detailing your online service.
Much like another ,free way to backup saves. I think it's happening, but it's not something you'd put in this announcement

Koenig

The Architect
It is something that should be in a A announcement though. Nintendo is a bit notorious for being too tight lipped for their own good sometimes...