Virtual Reality ; will / should Nintendo make a move ?

Ex-Actarus

There is pretty much not a single day without a news regarding the Oculus Rift, the famous Virtual Reality headset.

Since its incredible success on Kickstater, the Oculus Rift project received 75 million $ funding from a venture capital firm.

John Carmack left iD software to fully be involved in the Oculus Rift project.

To this day, more than 40 000 developer kits have been sold and a release date is expected in 2014.

But it seems the Oculus Rift will get some heavy competition soon.

Valve and Sony are rumoured to have their own VR headset versions...

Some people tested Valve's prototype and claimed it was way beyond what the Oculus Rift could do.

For now, Valve denied the existence of the project.

In the meantime Sony did not hide its interest in VR headsets for gaming.

According to some rumours, Sony was supposed to unveil its VR headset during TGS, but it did not happen.

Now new rumours suggest Sony's VR headset is as impressive as Valve's one.

But what about Nintendo ?

Nintendo was the pioneer of the VR tech in gaming with the Virtual Boy.

Do you think they could - or should - make a comeback on this front ?

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I believe that is only for thier so-called third platform, so VR is still possible.

Anyway, with regards to Nintendo, how about Nintendo buying Oculus Rift in a surprising plot twist? :O

Ex-Actarus

I believe that is only for thier so-called third platform, so VR is still possible.

Anyway, with regards to Nintendo, how about Nintendo buying Oculus Rift in a surprising plot twist? :O

Actually I won't be surprised if the Wii U has a VR headset as well.
Iwata said numerous times, that they didn't reveal everything about the Wii U yet.
It's about damned time they do !!!

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1d/Virtual-Boy-Set.png

Just slap a "U" on it. Virtual Boy U. Voila.

Or they could stop being so sexist and call it Virtual Girl. And it will sell to many lonely men.

Odo

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1d/Virtual-Boy-Set.png

Just slap a "U" on it. Virtual Boy U. Voila.

Or they could stop being so sexist and call it Virtual Girl. And it will sell to many lonely men.
Virtual Boy U
LOL
Yes, I think maybe Nintendo can show something like that as an accessory for the future console. Nothing more than that.

Shoulder

Rifts not for sale. Perhaps they might be interested in partnering with Nintendo, lol/.

When pigs fly, unfortunately. Although, we have yet to see if this contraption will even take off. Sure, it has a lot of positive buzz surrounding it, but something tells me it'll only fill a niche market, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Ex-Actarus

Sot it seems now nearly confirmed that Sony will unveil its VR headset at GDC this week.
Multiple sources are reporting it inclusing the Wall Street Journal :
Sony is expected to take further steps to combine such technology with videogames. The company has scheduled an event at GDC on Tuesday titled "Driving the Future of Innovation at Sony Computer Entertainment
Again, will Nintendo react ?

Source ; http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303546204579439864044706836?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702303546204579439864044706836.html

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Unless Sony has a technicallsolution and a solid plan to expand virtual reality to a wide variety of consumers

Because frankly without having a lot of game support, for an expensive device. Is doomed for failure, not to mention people who dont want shit on their heads period( me)

And it seems to be rather limited.

PS4 isnt strong enough for convincing vr. I wonder if they have an oled solutionfor the door frames.

Other than that. NO.

Nintendo needs to stay away for now

ASuch

The Salt Master
Unless Sony has a technicallsolution and a solid plan to expand virtual reality to a wide variety of consumers

Because frankly without having a lot of game support, for an expensive device. Is doomed for failure, not to mention people who dont want shit on their heads period( me)

PS4 isnt strong enough for convincing vr. I wonder if they have an oled solutionfor the door frames.

Other than that. NO.

Sounds like the same situation as the Wii U GamePad, don't ya think :>

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Other than that. NO.

Sounds like the same situation as the Wii U GamePad, don't ya think :>
Not really no, Nintendo actually made games for their device.

The problem is they're local multiplayer titles mostly and their marketing hasnt been clear. Primarily because they had nothing to market for the first half of the year and nothing they were confident marketing third party wise with third parties running away with their former WiiU exclusives. See Ninja Gaiden and Deus Ex Directors Cuts.

But I will send them shit if I dont see new adds that advertise the extensive lineup the system has in dry months without major releases.

That shit should be all over Hulu like Sony is doing with their PS4 share ads and all over MTV where they show donkey kong adverts

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Because I'm somewhat vain, I think there is a vanity aspect that may keep it from becoming totally mainstream.
With gaming, I like to be able to game in the middle of doing things in my day. If I'm gaming and need to go out somewhere, I can stop playing and go.
If I'm gaming and using a VR headset, now I also have to consider if it completely effed up my hair. Now I have to worry about taking the time to get ready again to go out and about. Yes, I know that sounds trivial, but it is something.
Will you lose out on the female audience who doesn't want to wear something that will do that? As I said, trivial, but it is something to consider.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Because I'm somewhat vain, I think there is a vanity aspect that may keep it from becoming totally mainstream.
With gaming, I like to be able to game in the middle of doing things in my day. If I'm gaming and need to go out somewhere, I can stop playing and go.
If I'm gaming and using a VR headset, now I also have to consider if it completely effed up my hair. Now I have to worry about taking the time to get ready again to go out and about. Yes, I know that sounds trivial, but it is something.
Will you lose out on the female audience who doesn't want to wear something that will do that? As I said, trivial, but it is something to consider.
Uhm. You're a dude .

The girls who play games like that arent really going to be doing that.And I think VR works like a headband

And I htink VR would be more likely to get girls into games to begin with

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Uhm. You're a dude .

The girls who play games like that arent really going to be doing that.And I think VR works like a headband

Uhmmm, I'm gay. Us gays care about our hair. Trust me, it's a thing.

And you said the girls who would use it aren't going to be doing that. So, are you saying that Sony is wanting VR just for the core crowd that don't care about appearance? If I were investing money into something like VR, I would want it to take off and be used the way Nintendo was able to capture so many with motion controls.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
Setting aside the "experience" and talking mechanics, whatever you can with the rift you can do with a regular TV.
Once the cool visual effect wears off, the question of what value the Rift is bringing to gaming will be questioned. Some people will cling to immersion (just like people did with the wiimote), but I think it will go the same path as the 3D effect on the 3DS. Some still swear by it, but most just don't care now.
Another big issue is that people just don't like strapping shit to their face. Team this up with questionable long-term value, that's why I don't think the Rift will make a huge impact on the console market.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Uhm. You're a dude .

Uhmmm, I'm gay. Us gays care about our hair. Trust me, it's a thing.

And you said the girls who would use it aren't going to be doing that. So, are you saying that Sony is wanting VR just for the core crowd that don't care about appearance? If I were investing money into something like VR, I would want it to take off and be used the way Nintendo was able to capture so many with motion controls.
I care about my hair and Im not gay. We're both still dude's XD

VR is no where near being able to capture the mass market and I doubt Sony's managed to one up occulus yet

Ex-Actarus

Setting aside the "experience" and talking mechanics, whatever you can with the rift you can do with a regular TV.
Once the cool visual effect wears off, the question of what value the Rift is bringing to gaming will be questioned. Some people will cling to immersion (just like people did with the wiimote), but I think it will go the same path as the 3D effect on the 3DS. Some still swear by it, but most just don't care now.
Another big issue is that people just don't like strapping shit to their face. Team this up with questionable long-term value, that's why I don't think the Rift will make a huge impact on the console market.
I don't think so.
If there is an interest as even half as important as what we had for motion controls ( so 5 years or so ), it's going to be huge !
Nintendo and Microsoft ( Sony less ) made incredible amount of money thanks to motion controls. Even if it wasn't for the whole gen, it was still massive.
We still don't know what will be the mass appeal of Virtual reality, but if the likes of Valve, Sony and probably Microsoft are investing in it, there is something there.

Actually, I don't question the appeal of the Virtual Reality, I question the pricing.
The new consoles are costing between 300 and 500 $ ; will people really add 200 or 300 $ on top ?
To be successful and hit critical mass, those VR headsets needs to be in the price range of what Kinect was imo ( around 100$ ).
Not sure this will happen with the amount of tech put into those devices...

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

I think VR is just something people will want to "try" and it will build its own niche in gaming. Particularly in the racing genre and the multiplayer Shooter fest.

Hence why I think its best left for Microsoft and Sony to fight over.

But honestly I think Valve will kill them if they dont up thier game

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
No doubt there is money to be made from VR headsets. I just don't see it having a big enough impact on gaming that Nintendo should chase it too.
I bet most of the games that support it will be playable without it. If that is the case, then VR isn't affecting the core gameplay which is more important than the technology and interface running it.
Purely business speaking, it just isn't mainstream enough. The price is too much, and you can't see the real world while wearing it.

Wolven

The Wolf of TNE Street
I want Nintendo to do a VR headset (I want to visit Hyrule dammit). They probably will, imo. They should just go ahead and take the plunge on VR. They capitalized on the second screen idea and I believe they will capitalize on the VR idea.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

The should capitalize on the Second Screen inside VR idea

but I have a feeling VR's gonna flop AGAIN.

http://i.imgur.com/3QQ6iUP.gif

Sony's already talking about asymettric gameplay within VR games

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Mhh

I think this gen is Going to be Sony trying to push VR while they dreamcast themselves and Microsoft trying to push their Augmented Reality, FortaLeza+Kinect+Illumiroom Doodad"Experience"

Which to me is a big fucking no no. Lol.

http://imgm.24liveblog.com/2014/03/19/m_5328efeb0afab_s.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjDZVX4CIAAtLEk.jpg

Apparently sound can be rendered like they're rendered with graphics in this device.

http://imgm.24liveblog.com/2014/03/19/m_5328f37ee6b37_s.jpg
Which honestly has me questioning how these guys expect the PS4 to render a 1080p image @60fps while rendering the geometry twice over.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=104948345&postcount=821

Im seeing a trend in devices separating fan bases from consoles.

What with Nintendo and the QOL platform, Skyrim blowing up(experience people) This Vr thing. The 3DS and the Smartphones/Vita

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Definitely not. Even if Sony is using a shitty LCD instead of an OLED.( Which will not solve a snaking problem)

It requires a PS Camera, A PS4 and and this VR doo-dad. That'll be nearly 100k

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

"This looks pretty good. But it's lulling you into a false sense of
reality, you can take the blue pill, and continue saying this will sell
off coolness alone, or you can take the red pill, and see the true
price. ;)"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlXrjTh7vHc

Ex-Actarus

It's official, Sony will launch the Morpheus in early 2016. We learn that Valve will launch the Vive ( in partnership with HTC ) at the end of this year. Microsoft unveiled Halolens earlier this year ( no release day yet ). And of course we all know about Oculus ( owned by Facebook ).

But where the hell is Nintendo ? I can't believe they won't enter in that race.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
It's official, Sony will launch the Morpheus in early 2016. We learn that Valve will launch the Vive ( in partnership with HTC ) at the end of this year. Microsoft unveiled Halolens earlir this year. And of course we all know about Oculus ( owned by Facebook ).

But where the hell is Nintendo ? I can't believe they won't enter in that race.
It could be another arms race, which Nintendo dosent partisapate in. It also could be like 3D TVs or home console gaming in 3D..........not many are interested.

Ex-Actarus

It could be another arms race, which Nintendo dosent partisapate in. It also could be like 3D TVs or home console gaming in 3D..........not many are interested.
I agree it's possible that VR tech will fail as 3D TVs did. But I don't think so... Microsoft, Facebook, Sony, Samsung, HTC... That's a lot of high profile players there.

I think VR could have the same impact as motion controls. If it's the case, Nintendo will have to make a move.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
This is what Reggie had to say about VR and Nintendo at last years E3....

"For us, it's all about fun gameplay," said Fils-Aime. "That's what we want. We want a fun, compelling experience. Right now, the technology isn't quite there yet, in our view. Certainly, it's something we're looking at. We look at a wide range of technologies. When it's there and enables a fun experience, we'll be there, too."

So if this is Nintendos stance as of today... I wouldn't rule anything out in terms of seeing some kind of VR product support from Nintendo at some point....

The question of when is uncertain until Nintendo is more open about talking VR with the rest of us....

But as you can see....

They are watching the VR scene, and are just waiting until the tech is where they think it should be in order to create a game experience with it that is not only fun, but economically sound as well I'm sure....

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I agree it's possible that VR tech will fail as 3D TVs did. But I don't think so... Microsoft, Facebook, Sony, Samsung, HTC... That's a lot of high profile players there.

I think VR could have the same impact as motion controls. If it's the case, Nintendo will have to make a move.
Or they may not do nothing as they have many times before. Possibly

Ex-Actarus

This is what Reggie had to say about VR and Nintendo at last years E3....

"For us, it's all about fun gameplay," said Fils-Aime. "That's what we want. We want a fun, compelling experience. Right now, the technology isn't quite there yet, in our view. Certainly, it's something we're looking at. We look at a wide range of technologies. When it's there and enables a fun experience, we'll be there, too."

So if this is Nintendos stance as of today... I wouldn't rule anything out in terms of seeing some kind of VR product support from Nintendo at some point....

The question of when is uncertain until Nintendo is more open about talking VR with the rest of us.... But as you can see.... They are watching the VR scene, and are just waiting until the tech is where they think it should be in order to create a game experience with it that is not only fun, but economically sound as well I'm sure....
This is very interesting... Nintendo had the idea of the touch screen during the Gameboy color days. So maybe they will skip VR for the Wii U and bring it for the next gen ?

Actually, I wouldn't mind. I would prefer to see a console that comes straight away with the VR headset as the Wii came with the Wiimote.

Source : http://ie.ign.com/articles/2009/03/28/gdc-09-nintendo-prototypes-that-never-made-it

Cubits

Yeah, there's no way nintendo hasn't been at the forefront of VR development, they're just keeping it under wraps until they have something they consider marketable. They've been developing several key components of a complete experience for nearly 30 years now (3d, motion control, and tracking). If we're not seeing anything it's because the tech isn't there yet.

And considering the compromises this year's tech is still making, I'd agree.

Last edited:

Shoulder

Or they may not do nothing as they have many times before. Possibly
I can see the headlines now: "Nintendo opts for conventional next-generation system with the Advanced Nintendo Entertainment System while Sony and Microsoft innovate with Virtual Reality consoles. Gamers all over say Nintendo is behind the curve yet again."

Interestingly enough, it's entirely possible the Gamepad will be compatible with the Wii U successor.

hogge

I don't think Nintendo should/will create a proprietary VR unit/peripheral.
Perhaps they could make it easy for developers to support the regular Oculus for Wii U games.
Basically, with the Wii U selling so poorly, the last thing they need is another confusing gimmick/addon.

But as has previously been mentioned: for a number of reasons, VR will probably never catch on as a default way of showing gameplay. These range from motion sickness, to vanity (you look kind of stupid with that thing on your face) and expense.

Ex-Actarus

@hogge , I agree that the Wii U is not doing well enough to justify a add-on at this point. That said if you look at Kinect or the Eyetoy it definitely help reinvigorate the sales of the 360 and PS2.

I would not dismiss the potential of VR. This things could be huge ! But maybe the biggest market is outside gaming... Imagine having the ability to watch the Superbowl or a concert with a VR headset... Imagine watching a TV series or a movie from within ! I'm not even going to mention the porn industry ( it goes without saying... ). You get the picture ?

You could also visit places or museum remotely. Imagine watching @Goodtwin Arizona trail ride live on Twitch in your VR headet :). That's the future man ! The potential is endless ! No wonder Samsung, Facebook or HTC are all over this.

However, I think VR in gaming could trigger to comeback of the Arcade centers. I mean the pricepoint will be far too high initially ( I heard a price tag around 400/500$ for the Morpheus ) for the vast majority of gamers. However, I could see myself paying 5, 10 or 15 Euros for a short VR gaming session.