Watch_Dogs could have been...Driver?

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Ubisoft has revealed that the engine for Watch Dogs was originally intended for a different game focused on driving, potentially in the Driver franchise. Speaking to IGN, Ubisoft North American president Laurent Detoc explained that the team working on the project realized an open-world game was a better fit than their original vision.
“Watch Dogs wasn’t started as Watch Dogs,” Detoc told IGN. “They were working on a driving engine, working on something. We had the Driver license. This was years ago. Then we were thinking, ‘no, this is not the way we want to go with a driving game,’ so we cancelled that and restarted. It’s not like Watch Dogs started as Watch Dogs. The Watch Dogs project was initially another game. At some point it changed. That’s at least three years ago, and then the Watch Dogs project reused some of the work that had been done on this driving engine.”

“It’s not that Driver became Watch Dogs, so much as the driving game we made was a driving game,” Detoc elaborated. “The decision was made that there was another driving game being made and this one should be an open-world game where the guy comes out of the car and does other things.
Then the team decides to reshuffle itself entirely. A few other people come in, a new creative director, and then they start a new game. I wouldn’t say that Driver became Watch Dogs, because that’s not true. That’s not really what happens. What happens is that a game gets cancelled, and then you take pieces of that game to make a new one. We could have had another driving engine from another team in another place, and then it would have been used by the Watch Dogs team.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/18/ubisoft-watch-dogs-engine-was-originally-built-for-driver

The last time a Driver game was started and the developers decided they wanted to do things outside of the car, it became Driv3r. :shudder:

Do it right, Ubi. I still want to do some power slides around busy intersections.

EvilTw1n

Also, this is pretty interesting for the people who thought Watch_Dogs was delayed because GTA upped the ante.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/16/why-ubisoft-delays-games

Which means Wii U may yet be getting a GTA caliber game. From that, it sounded like they really wanted to up the scale of Watch_Dogs with this extra time

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
It was not a good commercial decision at the time, because you’re going to miss those December sales. 18 months from now? I think we’ll make that up.
I really like this person.

It was not a good commercial decision at the time, because you’re going to miss those December sales. 18 months from now? I think we’ll make that up.
I really like this person.
It's like something that could have come from the mouth of Reggie. More proof Nintendo and Ubi have similar perspectives.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Also, this is pretty interesting for the people who thought Watch_Dogs was delayed because GTA upped the ante.

“The whole package is there already. But without sending them too many flowers, the guys at Rockstar have showed us again that if you make a 96-percent game, people will come. Watch Dogs, I can only hope we get to that level. There’s an attachment to the brand, in the case of GTA, that makes people really want to give it that 100-percent review. We’ll be missing that on Watch Dogs until we go further, potentially. That’s what we’re after.”-

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018

“The whole package is there already. But without sending them too many flowers, the guys at Rockstar have showed us again that if you make a 96-percent game, people will come. Watch Dogs, I can only hope we get to that level. There’s an attachment to the brand, in the case of GTA, that makes people really want to give it that 100-percent review. We’ll be missing that on Watch Dogs until we go further, potentially. That’s what we’re after.”-

Well Ubisoft certainly wouldn't have been able to get away with releasing an incomplete game like Rockstar so I can see where they're coming from

GaemzDood

Which means Wii U may yet be getting a GTA caliber game. From that, it sounded like they really wanted to up the scale of Watch_Dogs with this extra time
Hopefully, they use the right tools to make it look next gen.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Lets just hope the framerate keeps up so DF doesnt roast it lol.

And they get rid of last gen versions

Anywhooooo~

I wonder how many people will lose their shit when they cant pause in Watch_Dgos

GaemzDood

Lets just hope the framerate keeps up so DF doesnt roast it lol.

And they get rid of last gen versions

Anywhooooo~

I wonder how many people will lose their shit when they cant pause in Watch_Dgos
Digital Foundry always has different experiences than the actual Wii U players, lel. Lens of Truth showed Ghosts running around 40-60 FPS while DF claimed it ran around 20-40 FPS on Wii U.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
If another Driver game is made, it should be like the first one: You are a professional driver and does jobs for other people, just like the movie with Ryan O'Neal, which is underrated btw.
Or, I don't know, remake the first one and sell it as a eShop/PSN/XBLA game.

EvilTw1n

On another note...
Well yeah, we've known that since this summer. It does make me wonder, though...like how much of Zombi U's budget counts for originally being a 360 game, and then getting over to Wii U as Killer Freaks, and then having an art overhaul to become Zombi U? TBH, I wonder how big an audience they were expecting; survival/horror is not a cash cow anymore.

If VGC is anywhere close to ballpark, a game like this would've been profitable only a few years ago. 'Dem spiraling budgets.

But at least their business relationship with Nintendo must have some solid footing, otherwise we wouldn't be seeing Watch_Dogs at all.