Weirdest reasons you bought a game

I can't think of a better word than "weird". Basically I'm just asking reasons you bought a game not necessarily for the gameplay itself.

For example, the whole reason I got into Phoenix Wright in the first place is because I saw this video. I loved the music and how silly they made a courtroom drama seem.

Likewise the main reason I want to pick up Undertale is because of this song. My friend played it and didn't seem to impressed so I'm a bit hesitant.

Another example is I went to a new game store that opened up, I was waiting on friends so I decided to go there to kill some time, but it was only me in the store and I felt too awkward to leave empty handed, so I bought Infamous. I love Sly Cooper and it's the same developers so I'm not too bummed out about it.

Dumb thread? Probably

thekiller7

The Seven and Only
Probably the weirdest reason for me was to piss my most recent ex off. Once we were at the mall or somewhere shopping. And she's a bitch and I bought a game just for the fuck of it to spend money and I knew it would piss her off. I can't even remember what game it was.

GamingFreak1988

The Platformer Guru
Hardest boss ever. One of my favorite 360 games.

Ironic considering that's not even the final boss of the game which requirements are pretty freaking hard to do to get to has to be on ultra mode. Can't use a continue meaning got to beat the entire game up to queen larsa to unlock her actual form without running out of lives.
on ultra mode. It took ALL of his bombs and lives to do it cause that last pattern.. You aint surviving it without a good stock of bombs. She does have a different form on god mode though god mode is much easier, though the requirements are much harder, you can't die at all during the entire run up to i think queen larsa.

Last edited:

SkywardCrowbar

Twintelle's loyal Husbando
I bought Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars because one of the girls at my local Gamestop talked about how weird the dating sim elements were.

Well, that's what piqued my interest anyway... I actually bought it because I picked up the box and read "It's classmating time!" and I was hooked.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I was on a second date with a guy, and the mask had come off and he was a totally different person than the first date. (Not in a good way.) We were at the mall, just leaving a movie, which he had talked through most of it, and we were going past GameStop and he said "Ugh, adults who play video games. Something I'll never understand. I mean, grow up already."
So, I said, "Oh, that reminds me, excuse me one second." I walked in, went over to the Wii section (these were the Wii days) and grabbed the first game I could reach, paid for it, and walked back out to where he was. "Thanks for stopping! I've been excited all day to come here, and I've been waiting for this game for over a year.", I said. I didn't even look at the title till I was paying for it. Figured if it was something bad or something I already had, I could return it.

I already wasn't going on a third date with him, but a dislike of games and gamers further sealed his fate.

I did end up with Muramasa: The Demon Blade though!

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I don't buy games for weird reasons, which in turn makes me a weird fellow...

I just buy games because they look interesting to me, whrther it's a shooter, RPG, racer, action adventure, survival horror, etc. Although, to be fair, I did buy Ikaruga because of all the hype on IGN about it back in the day. Game is still hard as fuck, but the times I did play it, I really wanted to study the patterns for the game, and get really good at it. I've only ever made it to Chapter 3 without continues, so I've never unlocked Chapters 4 and 5 for training purposes.

That quote though, "Our frothing demand for this game increases," is probably on of the greatest quotes to describe a game I've heard yet. I miss the old IGN sometimes...

thekiller7

The Seven and Only
One thing I don't miss is my old 14 year old self who first set foot in that place. God, if I could talk to that kid, I'd tell him not to be so gullible. But them's the brakes when you learn lessons in life.
My thing is I have too many friends there to just up and leave there. I tried to and I just can't yet. I've gotten to a point where I text and talk on the phone with a few of them and they don't want me to leave. So it's cross posting here and there. I like it here. And you guys are more laid back. So I'll be going back and forth for quite some time. So get ready be annoyed more and more by me.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
My thing is I have too many friends there to just up and leave there. I tried to and I just can't yet. I've gotten to a point where I text and talk on the phone with a few of them and they don't want me to leave. So it's cross posting here and there. I like it here. And you guys are more laid back. So I'll be going back and forth for quite some time. So get ready be annoyed more and more by me.
See, I was the exact opposite on IGN. A mere nobody and hardly really engaged in much except just make posts. It really wasn't until I got to here on TNE back in 2013 when I started making Internet friends, and I'm very glad for that. It's also why I cannot see myself leaving this place in the same way you are with IGN.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I bought Enchanted Arms because I thought it was Resonance of Fate. Later I found out that Enchanted Arms was actually made by FromSoftware, the guys behind Dark Souls. And I still never played it, or Resonance of Fate.

Also I bought Obscure: The Aftermath for Wii because I walked into Gamestop and saw it on the shelves, and it looked cool. I know that shouldn't be unusual but these days it's weird for me to buy a game without doing any research on it.