What are you hoping for in the next major Pokemon game?

Menashe

First of all, I'm typing this one hour before Masada is supposed to make some big reveal on Pokemon Smash. I'm hoping that it's related to the next major Pokemon game, like Pokemon Grey or something. And that got me thinking about how I want to see the Pokemon series evolve. Personally, the element I am most looking for an evolution is the graphics. If they didn't change a thing to the gameplay, just making new characters, with a new storyline, and overhauled 3D graphics, but with the same Pokemon and the same gameplay - I would be perfectly happy.

GAAAAAH. I can't wait. Being the fan I am I would be excited for anything announced. I would love to see a Pokemon Gray/Grey, though. I need a main series game, it's almost been a year.

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
I've said it before and I'll unashamedly say it again - no more random battles from running in circles in tall grass! I don't have a better solution, off the top of my head, but that is getting really old!

I loved the original Red/Blue. Except spin-offs my only other Pokemon game was Black, which I gave up on after about 5 hours.

For me, it would have to loose the random battles.
I also dislike the randomness of when you catch a Pokemon if it stays in your Pokeball.
I'd also like the Pokemon to return to the original 151, as they were all classic, well designed compared to random ones seen in the latest series. However I do love Tepig!

Menashe

I wouldn't mind the series getting a reboot. You know, like how they rebooted Batman with the Dark Knight and the new Spiderman. They should give us Ash starting from the very beginning but with awesome graphics and new gameplay mechanics! The more I think about this idea the more I like it.

Thats kinda what I've been hoping for for a home console release.

This back to basics approach coupled with Wii U's NFC would be amazing. Imagine being able to pick up a foil bag containing a Pokemon figure at ur local game/toy store bring it home, chuck it on ur controller and see what it does!

I think Nintendo could easily make a great 3D Real time pokemon game. Keeping the RPG aspects of the game, but making the battles way more intense and exciting.
this could be done either by the player controlling their pokemon directly, or by making the player control their pokemon by giving them real time commands.
They have already made real time battle games, such as the mystery dungeon games or more recently the pokemon rumble games. These games were successful but not quite as popular as the Pokemon games we all know and love. I think they managed to make most of the turn based moves work quite well in real time and I think by making the game more similar to the original games could be interesting.

Also maybe introducing some sort of mmorpg aspect to the games? Like being able to meet up with your friends online and being able to adventure together, Being able to customise and create your own playable pokemon trainer, completing quests and collecting items.
Capturing pokemon and battling with your friends online in real time could make the games feel more like the TV series which I know would be appealing to a lot of current pokemon fans, and the mmorpg aspect would be inviting to many other gamers too!

But in the meantime, super looking forward to Black and White 2!

like the mmorpg idea, and id usually think it would never happen. But if Nintendo are happy for Square-Enix to bring Dragon Quest X to Wii and Wii U it wouldn't be impossible...

Menashe

"kingjoe338" wrote: I think Nintendo could easily make a great 3D Real time pokemon game. Keeping the RPG aspects of the game, but making the battles way more intense and exciting.
this could be done either by the player controlling their pokemon directly, or by making the player control their pokemon by giving them real time commands.
They have already made real time battle games, such as the mystery dungeon games or more recently the pokemon rumble games. These games were successful but not quite as popular as the Pokemon games we all know and love. I think they managed to make most of the turn based moves work quite well in real time and I think by making the game more similar to the original games could be interesting.

Also maybe introducing some sort of mmorpg aspect to the games? Like being able to meet up with your friends online and being able to adventure together, Being able to customise and create your own playable pokemon trainer, completing quests and collecting items.
Capturing pokemon and battling with your friends online in real time could make the games feel more like the TV series which I know would be appealing to a lot of current pokemon fans, and the mmorpg aspect would be inviting to many other gamers too!

But in the meantime, super looking forward to Black and White 2!
First of all, welcome! Nice to see a new face. And I really like your icon.

As to what you were saying, I think that the only way that makes sense on a console to recreate the addictive Gotta Catch 'em All experience is like what you're saying: with an MMORPG. People expect console games to have really large 3D worlds and only the Game Boy games can get away with a simpler world because they are on a handheld. The weaker graphics makes everyone forgive it for presenting everything in a simple manner. But, on a console, people will naturally have much more grandiose expectations. And I don't know if Pokemon is fit for having a super-complex storyline or deep narrative. Instead the epic element of the game would come from massive landscapes and variety of Pokemon to find around the world. I imagine a massive world like Xenoblade where things stretch far off into the distance, and different provinces to explore and catch different kinds of Pokemon. So, the epic nature of Pokemon can be done single player as long as they have a massive world.

But, I think the addictiveness would only be possible on a console by making it an MMORPG. World of Warcraft is considered an addictive plague. It utterly consumes its fans with it addictive nature. If catching rare Pokemon would only be possible with a partner or through trading with people from other provinces, it would make for a really addictive experience. Everyone would be hunting in different places trying to catch the Pokemon they were missing. There may be a dungeon where you need to be at a really high level to survive and catch the Pokemon inside. Experienced players could catch extra Pokemon there and sell them for high prices to the newbies waiting outside. It could fill the game with tons of quests and things to do so you can become a Pokemon master.

So the MMORPG idea really kills two birds with one stone. It allows for a massive world in which to spread across all 646 Pokemon. They could be split up by region - Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sevii Islands, Sinnoh, and Unova. And then it would retain all the addictiveness of the series that we have come to know and appreciate. Plus, those elements will be evolved from the way it has always been done in the handheld games.

Heropon Still waiting for the next great 3D pokemon world that was Pokemon Colosseum and Gale of darkness Pokemon Revolution was a complete disapointment and was only good for puting your gen4 pokemon on the game to battle people in 3D graffics Heropon no like the lack of story or lack of improvements from the GC to Wii, Team snagem could make a come back with cypher gone and steal the pokemon world! that Heropon Riki can save~! Heropon hopes the main stream games will evenculy have the 3D graffics that Gale of darkness really delivered onsies. Heropon also miss Miror B and his dancing ludicolos with a theme that rivals my own!
Vs

A core feature that should be improved is how online trading is conducted. There should be more trade options posted at a time and some new rules could make the trading processes fairer(i.e. having to trade a legendary pokemon for a regular one).