What did you like about the GameCube?

Zero

Indivisible
I saw this thread on another forum and thought it was interesting since the GameCube certainly isn't many people's favorite console, nor is it mine. But let's talk about what we did like about it.

I'll start:

There's a lot I like about the GameCube. To this day, the controller is still one of my all-time favorites. I actually refuse to play Smash on WiiU without it. I have to say it, though, the D-Pad was absolutely awful. Thankfully, it wasn't needed very often. The system itself was neat, too. The purple color (among others later) was pretty rad and I liked the small size with the handle, making it easy to carry to friend's houses to play Melee... not to mention the four controller ports. The GBA player was something else I really loved, as well as linking certain GBA games to GameCube games for secret unlocks, such as getting the Fusion Suit in Metroid Prime or unlocking the original NES version of Metroid - that was awesome.

When I got my GameCube I got it with Super Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime. Those two games together had me in gaming bliss. A lot of people don't care much for Sunshine but I really enjoyed it. Soul Calibur was one of my favorite Dreamcast games so, naturally, I put an insane amount of time into SC2 on the GameCube, which, also had Link as a playable character and thus making it all the better.

The GameCube era was also my introduction to one of my favorite things in life: Smash Bros. Ah, the memories of when I first got into that game and the long, frustration road of getting good at it...

One genre the system was really lacking in was RPGs. Although, the few that were on it were fantastic. Twilight Princess (though I technically never played the GCN version since I got it at the launch of the Wii), Wind Waker, Baten Kaitos, Paper Mario, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance... Shockingly, Skies of Arcadia and Phantasy Star Online saw ports to the 'Cube, though I never did pick them up since I already had the Dreamcast versions (perhaps now would be a good time to replay Skies, on a Nintendo system this time. Hmm)

Two of my favorite games ever got remakes on the GameCube, which are Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil. While I didn't care much for the remixed music of MGS: Twin Snakes, the better graphics and new gameplay mechanics made it worthwhile. And that RE remake was nothing short of a masterpiece.

Another advantage the console had was that, due to a deal between Nintendo and Capcom, Resident Evil 4 and Zero were exclusive to the GameCube at launch and for a long time after. PS2 didn't get ports of those games for years, IIRC. And with RE4 arguably being the best installment in the series, that was huge at the time.

Something else I was super excited about during the GameCube's heyday was that we were getting home-console Pokemon games for the system. I was crazy hype for Colosseum before it came out. And while I did enjoy the game, it was Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness that I truly loved. Something about that game really got me. The environments, characters, music... I thought it was great, though it's not highly regarded as one of the better Pokemon games. I sure put a lot of time into it and it's still to this day one of my favorites in the franchise. On a side note, I seriously can't wait for the first Pokemon game to come to Switch!

Other honorable mentions:

Animal Crossing
Viewtiful Joe
Battalion Wars
Pikmin 2
Beyond Good & Evil
Wave Race: Blue Storm
F-Zero GX
Luigi's Mansion

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
The Gamecube was an awesome system. I think your explanation of what you enjoyed and disliked (lack of RPGs) are pretty spot on. Also...the handle was pretty awesome. Too many of my friends had one so I rarely used the feature but I liked the utilitarian aspect of it.

One thing I wish would come back from the Gamecube is the analog shoulder buttons. That would make life so much easier for racing games.

Koenig

The Architect
The controller, hands down my favorite Nintendo controller, and one that I wish they would use as the bases for all other Nintendo systems. The button layout, the analogue triggers that "clicked", and the general ergonomics of it; a hybrid of the gamecube & "pro" controller with these features should by all rights be the standard.

Next is the look; the gamecube was simply a sleek looking console; everything about it I liked. I would argue it would have benefited from a more "flat design", but as it was I just loved it. The handle, which is so often the butt of many jokes was also very useful, as I frequently brought the system to other houses; although I think it would have benefited heavily by having an internal AC adapter like original XBOX did.

Then comes the guts; The gamecube was hands down the most powerful console of its generation, and I loved the results. Power does not define a console but it does set the limit of what it can do, and the gamecube hands down had the most potential of any console that generation (and for the most part, it made use of it). I do think it is a shame that it lacked a built in ethernet slot and DVD player, as that would have made it far more viable in the market at the time.

And of course the games; without games a console is nothing, and I speak no hyperbole when I say that the Game Cube had the best first party lineup of any Nintendo system, and combined with its moderate third part support made it one of the healthiest game libraries Nintendo had outside of the original NES ans SNES. Half of my all time favorite games were for the system.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Being an older gamer havin been there for the NES - the Switch. The GameCube is for sure in the running for my all time favorite Nintendo console.

The controller was the bomb, the console itself was cool but I wanna take a min to speak about the star of the show which to me were the games.

I still to this day play 1 round of Mario Golf Toadstool tour and it's still an amazing golf game. Metroid Prime and RE4 are both game that are in my top 5 games of all time. Eternal Darkness still plays with my mind and has done things in story telling and atmosphere which have been yet to be recreated. Killer7 and Viewtiful Joe are both awesome action games that really rounded out the GameCube well and gave it a robust tho obscure library. And F-Zero GX could be my favorite racing game of all time and it's ohhh so beautiful (still still my all time favorite F-Zero title)

And the list goes on like crazy, all the SSX series, Splintercell series, Smash Melee, Sunshine, Mario Party's, titles like Timesplitter, Ikarua, and XIII.

It was and still is a phenomenal console.

the gamecube era was an awesome time! I was still quite young when it was new and loved playing it. I remember coming home from school and playing Mario Sunshine, Pikmin, NFSU2 (to this day the best NFS game). Also DOUBLE DASH.

simplyTravis

And of course the games; without games a console is nothing, and I speak no hyperbole when I say that the Game Cube had the best first party lineup of any Nintendo system, and combined with its moderate third part support made it one of the healthiest game libraries Nintendo had outside of the original NES ans SNES. Half of my all time favorite games were for the system.
I think the Switch is trying reaaaaaally hard to beat that lineup and it might just do it.

simplyTravis

Mainly that it wasn't the n64... It had at least a small number of RPGs
Dude, I loved the N64. There were so many experimental games. The Gamecube was more refined but as far as something unique and fresh, the N64 was far better. Throw in the expansion pack and rumble pack...it was Nintendo at its most brilliant. Just ignore the bad control stick.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Dude, I loved the N64. There were so many experimental games. The Gamecube was more refined but as far as something unique and fresh, the N64 was far better. Throw in the expansion pack and rumble pack...it was Nintendo at its most brilliant. Just ignore the bad control stick.
no rpgs, almost no japanese support outside of themselves, super slow release schedule with MASSIVE droughts that make the wii u lineup look healthy... and nintendo's own games that generation... mario was groundbreaking, as was zelda... otherwise.. all of the 1st party franchises had better entries on the gamecube

n64 is great to look back on with nostalgia, but during that generation it was miserable... if not for my playstation I would have gone mad.... at the end of the day I had less than 10 n64 games.. and like 50 playstation games... and outside of like 2 or 3 exceptions, the ps games were all WAY better

the n64 was basically nintendo dying.. and the gamecube was them being reborn into their awkward phase, the wii was them becoming too popular and superficial, the wii u was the backlash of them beign dicks, but they had really grown as a person... and the switch looks like the amazing snes era nintendo... with less hubris

BobSilencieux

n64 is great to look back on with nostalgia, but during that generation it was miserable... if not for my playstation I would have gone mad.... at the end of the day I had less than 10 n64 games.. and like 50 playstation games... and outside of like 2 or 3 exceptions, the ps games were all WAY better
Holy crap. I couldn't feel more different if I tried. Who needs 50 games when you can get a thousand hours of the most incredible fun from Mario Kart and Goldeneye alone?! And if we're talking about 'in that generation' then we had some the legit best games of all time to play: Ocarina of Time; Majora's Mask; Mario 64... Some more incredible multiplayer games like F-Zero X, Perfect Dark, Forsaken... And some of the best single-player games I've ever played in Blast Corps, Banjo Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini, Conker's Bad Fur Day (basically everything Rare put out for the system), Turok, Wave Race, Pokémon Stadium, Shadowman, Pilotwings 64... At the time, the N64 was an absolute MONSTER.

As for the GameCube... Well, it had Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4. That's about all I liked about it.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Holy crap. I couldn't feel more different if I tried. Who needs 50 games when you can get a thousand hours of the most incredible fun from Mario Kart and Goldeneye alone?! And if we're talking about 'in that generation' then we had some the legit best games of all time to play: Ocarina of Time; Majora's Mask; Mario 64... Some more incredible multiplayer games like F-Zero X, Perfect Dark, Forsaken... And some of the best single-player games I've ever played in Blast Corps, Banjo Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini, Conker's Bad Fur Day (basically everything Rare put out for the system), Turok, Wave Race, Pokémon Stadium, Shadowman, Pilotwings 64... At the time, the N64 was an absolute MONSTER.

As for the GameCube... Well, it had Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4. That's about all I liked about it.
For every amazing n64 game you name (and i think you named them all lol) Anybody else can make like 10 ps games... Final Fantasy 9, grandia, thousand arms, suikoden, suikoden 2, lunar sss, lunar eb, xenogears, bust a groove, parapa the rapper, metal gear solid, resident evil 1, 2, and 3, several street fighters and other fighting games like busudo blade, darkstalkers, and so many more... Castlevania : symphony of the night, DDR, the list in endless... The only games on n64 that really compete and beat the best of those would be like oot, and mario 64

GaemzDood

It had the most experimental Nintendo games. We got partnerships for MGS and Resident Evil games, Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime, a fully 3D Fire Emblem, and awesome new IPs like Custom Robo that should have gotten an Armored Core style sequel. It has the most 3rd party support out of any Nintendo system thanks to the excellent hardware that came closer to the Xbox than most people think.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GaemzDood

For every amazing n64 game you name (and i think you named them all lol) Anybody else can make like 10 ps games... Final Fantasy 9, grandia, thousand arms, suikoden, suikoden 2, lunar sss, lunar eb, xenogears, bust a groove, parapa the rapper, metal gear solid, resident evil 1, 2, and 3, several street fighters and other fighting games like busudo blade, darkstalkers, and so many more... Castlevania : symphony of the night, DDR, the list in endless... The only games on n64 that really compete and beat the best of those would be like oot, and mario 64
RE2 was also on the N64. Shame RE3 didn't come.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Odo

To be fair, I haven't owned a GC, but I played most of their best games on Wii and I'd say that I loved its lineup.

It had two great Zelda games :)
I disliked Sunshine tho
MKDD was brilliant. MKDD and MK7 are my favourites.