What game do you suppose is Tantalus' AAA Wii U port?

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
As was reported yesterday, Tantalus are hard at work with yet another "AAA next-gen port" which will be unveiled soon and released later this year. And it has my balding scalp tingling with desire. What could this be? We have some hints that include it's from a "top-notch publisher," and it's the "biggest game we've ever done." I'm predicting something open world.

Here are some ideas I have:

Skyrim
Tomb Raider
Destiny
GTAV
Red Dead Redemption

Minecraft
Dark Souls 1 and/or 2
Kingdom Hearts
Final Fantasy XIII trilogy (maybe XV?)
etc, etc

EDIT: I forgot that it's not supposed to be a M-rated game, so scratch some of those choices. Fuck, this is hard.

So basically, just a wish list of what I think could be it, but we've been surprised before. I'm not going to get my hopes up too much, but I'm seriously curious what this could be.

Last edited:

FriedShoes

MLG
ah, these are the guys who did the Directors Cut for Wii U. They're good by me I guess. Looking through the "next-gen" release lineup though, I dont see anything interesting enough to be ported over, at least that isnt an M. Sure its not a game from the previous gen?

Apparently they're also working on porting a big Wii U game to PS4, Xbone and PC
ZombiU

Shoulder

It's specifically a Wii U port?
That is what the word is.

ah, these are the guys who did the Directors Cut for Wii U. They're good by me I guess. Looking through the "next-gen" release lineup though, I dont see anything interesting enough to be ported over, at least that isnt an M. Sure its not a game from the previous gen?

ZombiU
I was wondering if maybe the game was from the 7th gen, similar to Deus Ex. And yeah, I guess if they specifically say AAA, it does probably rule out Minecraft.

Damn, this is hard to figure out.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I can't really think of huge games that aren't 'M' rated games and that weren't on Nintendo consoles, either. Hopefully it's a nice surprise.

Shoulder

Ok then, I think previous gen then. Given Wii U isnt getting Arkham Knight, I can see it being Origins.
Ummm, I own Arkham Origins on Wii U already. It's not that. And I believe it was announced that Arkham Knight will be M-rated when is all said and done. City and Origins already pushed that T rating pretty far when those games came out.

Aki

Let's see here. I don't think it's going to be Final Fantasy XV. Going solely off the trailers, I don't believe that the Wii U can run that game, at least not at HD resolutions. I can't see it being Kingdom Hearts 3 for the same reason. Don't see it being KH1 / 2 either since those are Sony exclusive. I think I'm gonna go with Dark Souls II since it's coming out somewhat soon for both PS4 and XB1 and it was a last gen game so Wii U can definitely run it.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Its a square enix game so Im just gonna guess its one of those games

And FF15 looks worse than XBX @Aki (mainly cause the field design is this flat ugly shit. If you wanna make grasslands or hills go rip off germany and california not your backyard with zero grass lol!!)

The cities look great imo though.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
If we don't know for sure whether it's a Square Enix game, it could be Dark Souls 2, specifically the Scholar of the First Sin edition, which includes all the DLC and some DirectX 11 features, if I'm not mistaken.

Mostly that's just me being hopeful. If any system's fanbase will appreciate a challenging, Zelda-like game, it will be the Nintendo fanbase.

ASuch

The Salt Master
If we don't know for sure whether it's a Square Enix game, it could be Dark Souls 2, specifically the Scholar of the First Sin edition, which includes all the DLC and some DirectX 11 features, if I'm not mistaken.

Mostly that's just me being hopeful. If any system's fanbase will appreciate a challenging, Zelda-like game, it will be the Nintendo fanbase.
Some people will say that its too grey and just like any other grey AAA game

It's been rough, but things have been working out lately for me and my Tapatalk signature, at the very least

I doubt DS 2 will sell at all though on Wii U

Shoulder

y'all need to read, its not m-rated.
Also I'd bet on it being a western game than a japanese one.
So far we can deduce:

-Likely a Western title
-Not M-rated
-AAA Title
-Biggest game Tantatlus has done yet, so think bigger than ME3 and DE:HR
-Game comes from a "top-notch" publisher

That does narrow it down a bit. Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy is what I think now.

Shoulder

Could Final Fantasy XV even run on the Wii U?
Treyarch got COD to run on the Wii, albeit with a complete rewrite of the games' code, but it was done. FFXV can be done on the Wii U if ported properly.

First off, you cap it at 720p30, whereas the PS4/X1 versions are in 1080p30. The graphics can easily be downgraded if need be without sacrificing everything going for it. I look at XCX, and think if FFXV could look similar to that, I'd be ok with that. For a game like XCX though, while character models are nothing to shout about (but they are not terrible as some people think), the scale of the game more than makes up for it.

I've been saying from the beginning that PS4/X1 games can be done on the Wii U if developers are willing to put the effort into it. It would require a lot of rewriting of the game code, since you're dealing with RISC processors versus CISC for the PX4/X1, also PPC comapred to x86, integer processing versus floating point (CPU wise, anyway), VLIW vs. GCN architecture for the GPU, etc, etc.

Criterion understood that when they came to porting over Most Wanted for the Wii U. They knew the Wii U was clearly better in areas, and lacked in others (CPU wise, anyway), so they used the strengths of the Wii U to port the game over, and leveraged that to not affect the weaknesses as much.

If you port over games from the PS4/X1 to the Wii U, and expecting everything to work without much effort, you're going to have a bad time. Does this hidner AAA 3rd party support? Most definitely, but it is what it is right now. The Wii U is not some overly complicated system to develop for. With some of the developers shitting on it, you'd think it was as bad as the PS2 and PS3 when it came to developing games for it.

ASuch

The Salt Master
Anyway, if it is a bigger AAA game like Dark Souls 2, then fucking buy it. Nintendo needs to know that people actually WANT these kind of games. Or else we'll get more "We tried talking to Bethesda, said they should develop for us because we are Nintendo, and left it at that".

ASuch

The Salt Master
And it probably won't be KH3. KH3 runs on Unreal Engine 4, which Wii U doesn't support. Unless it's some wizardry, cross that off.

Plus it has to release this year.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
But would it be considered too "hardcore"? Tantalus said it wouldn't be M or hardcore like ME3 or Do Sex....
If they threw that word out there like that then yeah it probably means it won't be something like Dark Souls 2.

I'm preparing for it to be a LEGO game.

GaemzDood

Let's see here. I don't think it's going to be Final Fantasy XV. Going solely off the trailers, I don't believe that the Wii U can run that game, at least not at HD resolutions.
Yeah no. The Wii U can handle any current gen game at 1280x720p.

GaemzDood

Its a square enix game so Im just gonna guess its one of those games

And FF15 looks worse than XBX
Xenoblade has shit texture filtering, I'm not sure if it has any AA, and there's no global illumination or ambient occlusion to speak of. Infamous, Forza Horizon 2, and Sunset Overdrive's lighting decimates it.

Last edited:

GaemzDood

(CPU wise, anyway)
Comments like these actually kind of legitmately frustrate me. The Wii U's CPU is actually better in some ways than the other two current gen consoles, but worse in others. Despite the better memory bus in the PS4 & Xbox One, data preperation is actually better on Wii U. People can also spout "muh 3 cores" all they want, but only 4 or 5 cores in the PS4 & Xbox One are truly efficient for games. It has 5 instruction units per core too, which means it can queue 15 and execute 9; the PS4 & Xbox One can queue 12 and execute 12.

Tl;dr: The Wii U can deliver the core Final Fantasy XV experience.

ASuch

The Salt Master
UE4 can run on the wii u. Anyone saying otherwise is talking utter bollocks.
From what I searched on the internet, the Wii U does not directly support UE4, just like 360 and PS3. It takes some custom licensing with Nintendo and Epic for it and then you have to fiddle with the code to actually make it compatibile with the architecture. There is a chance, but a very, very slim chance.

Shoulder

Comments like these actually kind of legitmately frustrate me. The Wii U's CPU is actually better in some ways than the other two current gen consoles, but worse in others. Despite the better memory bus in the PS4 & Xbox One, data preperation is actually better on Wii U. People can also spout "muh 3 cores" all they want, but only 4 or 5 cores in the PS4 & Xbox One are truly efficient for games. It has 5 instruction units per core too, which means it can queue 15 and execute 9; the PS4 & Xbox One can queue 12 and execute 12.

Tl;dr: The Wii U can deliver the core Final Fantasy XV experience.
I did not say the CPU was weak. I was saying it's more integer-based than floating point, which is where a lot of people get the impression the CPU is weak. It really is a case of your mileage will vary.

Some people will get 30mpg in a econobox, while others may get upwards of 40mpg. Driving style and how you approach it will determine those factors, just like developers.

GaemzDood

From what I searched on the internet, the Wii U does not directly support UE4, just like 360 and PS3. It takes some custom licensing with Nintendo and Epic for it and then you have to fiddle with the code to actually make it compatibile with the architecture. There is a chance, but a very, very slim chance.
Which is pretty retarded and makes no sense.

Staging mental breakdowns on IGN via Tapatalk.

Shoulder

The better answer to this question is UE4 is not natively supported by the Wii U, but it's still possible to work with it. I mean, come on, this is a game engine which is scalable to mobile devices. It'll work on Wii U if the time is taken.

As far as DX11 features, we know the Wii U has them, although not the full feature set, so some tinkering might be needed, but it's sure as hell possible.

Shoulder

Tank! Tank! Tank! of course!

Jokes aside, maybe the new Witcher game. That could be brilliant. Although the ambitions of W3 sounds too much like Zelda U...
Good suggestion, except that the game they're porting is not going to be M-rated. Tantulus has already mentioned that.

GAF has a huge thread about this whole thing we're all talking about, and some more common suggestions on there are:

Pro Evolution Soccer
Guitar Hero
Rock Band (until it was announced for PS4/X1)
Destiny
Minecraft
Final Fantasy XIII trilogy

I checked and Destiny is actually a T rated game, so that could potentially work. I know some people do or do not like it (I enjoyed the beta), but Activision does have a big vision for it, so having it on all necessary platforms would be what Activision would want to maximize profits and whatnot.

FFXIII was another one that seemed interesting, even if for the fact there hasn't been a FF game on a Nintendo console since the 90's (there have been a few FF games on handhelds though in the past) FFXIII seems to be a love it or hate it type of game for most people.

Minecraft is the only odd duck because it's not really a AAA game, even if Microsoft owns the IP now (top-notch publisher). But Miyamoto does like Minecraft, and I'm sure more people at Nintendo, and according to some people on GAF, it's a popular request on Miiverse (I don't know, as I don't visit Miiverse that often).

Some are hoping it'll be unveiled at PAX East next week.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I checked and Destiny is actually a T rated game, so that could potentially work. I know some people do or do not like it (I enjoyed the beta), but Activision does have a big vision for it, so having it on all necessary platforms would be what Activision would want to maximize profits and whatnot.
I think if we got Destiny, we'd play the shit out of it. It's pretty much the kind of game this thread was talking about, something relaxing to play with your bros.

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/forums/threads/is-the-wii-us-online-lineup-too-hardcore.2955/

inb4DestinyUWon'tHaveVoicechat

Shoulder

I think if we got Destiny, we'd play the shit out of it. It's pretty much the kind of game this thread was talking about, something relaxing to play with your bros.

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/forums/threads/is-the-wii-us-online-lineup-too-hardcore.2955/

inb4DestinyUWon'tHaveVoicechat
Honestly, Destiny would make myself and everyone else on TNE probably sell Ghosts (and maybe even BLOPS2). It would be cool if it were Destiny, but I'm not holding my breath.

Shoulder

Do you lie MMO grinding? No? Then you won't like Destiny. That's all the game is
Depends on the game and its mechanics. Monster Hunter is all about grinding, but it's not a MMO, and I love it. But with regards to Destiny, I played through the beta and enjoyed it very much.

Cubits

Bungie had a bunch of wii u dev kits during development. It's absolutely possible to port it.

But if Activision was going to bring across a franchise like that, why would it do it after dumping cod? That's a game treyarch could port for very little money, they've already spent the money for the framework.

Shoulder

Bungie had a bunch of wii u dev kits during development. It's absolutely possible to port it.

But if Activision was going to bring across a franchise like that, why would it do it after dumping cod? That's a game treyarch could port for very little money, they've already spent the money for the framework.
That is a good point to bring up. Why not have someone like Treyarch handle it, unless they were already so busy with this year's COD they simply could not do it?

Minecraft is of course the safe bet, but it's technically not a AAA game, because AAA has always been tied with games with large budgets, something Minecraft has never had. Hell, it didn't even have a marketing budget, and still managed to sell millions of copies. It's become one of the most successful multi-platform games that is not a AAA title.

I do however think Minecraft would be a good fit for the Wii U, but same with Destiny, and FFXIII trilogy (if for the fact there hasn't been a FF game on a Nintendo console since the 90's).

hogge

With some out of the box thinking: War Thunder?
Not rated Mature and I believe it had a AAA-budget.

And less likely (due to EA being the publisher): the latest Real Racing entry.

Odo

I really doubt Minecraft could hit Wii U.

The same about FF. I believe Nintendo platform will never see a FF main title again, there must be some business contract that doesn't allow it.

Shoulder

I really doubt Minecraft could hit Wii U.

The same about FF. I believe Nintendo platform will never see a FF main title again, there must be some business contract that doesn't allow it.
As some people have been saying, whatever it is, we all might be disappointed by it. But who knows? They're providing a lot of hints to what it could be, but of course nothing concrete.