What is Retro Studios REALLY up to?

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I am over the idea that Retro needs to be making Prime level games and have moved on to the idea that they just need to be making more than two games per console generation. If that means a DKC plus whatever, fine, but it just seems to be a waste to have a talented studio not working on multiple projects. Nintendo needs to have more first party content than ever before, western third party devs simply aren't going to be a driving force for their platforms. Retro should have Fzero, Wave Race, and 1080 all in development right now. Under supervision from EAD for sure, but that isn't any different that Metroid or DKC.
This is exactly how I feel. Nice post

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
I am over the idea that Retro needs to be making Prime level games and have moved on to the idea that they just need to be making more than two games per console generation. If that means a DKC plus whatever, fine, but it just seems to be a waste to have a talented studio not working on multiple projects. Nintendo needs to have more first party content than ever before, western third party devs simply aren't going to be a driving force for their platforms. Retro should have Fzero, Wave Race, and 1080 all in development right now. Under supervision from EAD for sure, but that isn't any different that Metroid or DKC.
I agree with much of this, except the retro should be focused on quantity and not even attempt quality ...

I think they should rename retro EAD Texas .. And then open a development house in Santa Monica called EAD California... EAD New York, EAD London, etc.... Every place there is a large active development community they should open a studio, then use that studio both to make games and to develop relationships with 3rd party developers

I ferment being excited hearing about how red steel 2s developers were visited by guys from retro who have advice .. We need expert nintendo developers in every city that there is a large development community

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Agreed. Retro Studios I feel was created as a means of giving players an opportunity to revisit old franchises with new ideas and concepts. It was clear this occurred for Metroid, and Donkey Kong Country, why not other franchises such F-Zero, Wave Race, and 1080, like you said? It just sounds like a lot of misused talent, and opportunities.

I agree with much of this, except the retro should be focused on quantity and not even attempt quality ...

I think they should rename retro EAD Texas .. And then open a development house in Santa Monica called EAD California... EAD New York, EAD London, etc.... Every place there is a large active development community they should open a studio, then use that studio both to make games and to develop relationships with 3rd party developers

I ferment being excited hearing about how red steel 2s developers were visited by guys from retro who have advice .. We need expert nintendo developers in every city that there is a large development community
Do you know what happens when you focus on quantity instead of quality? You get companies like EA. Rehash the same thing, over and over again every year.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
So.

I mean.

We're...gonna have to mention this, I guess?

https://mynintendonews.com/2018/07/...employee-claims-nintendo-is-shutting-it-down/

I'm not sure how closely Glassdoor is policed; it's possible it gets all of the sour grapes from ex-employees, but still.

I want to believe that Retro is doing fine. I really, really, really do.

But...the facts are they were making cutting edge games that Nintendo wanted to push out as marquee releases right up until Prime 3...and after that, they lost their most senior talent, took on less ambitious game design, delivered those games at a slower pace (they released 3 Prime games in 5 years versus 2 DKC games since 2010), and will apparently sit out the first two years of Switch while ex-employees spill beans online from what was once an airtight operation.

It's looking grim, folks.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
So.

I mean.

We're...gonna have to mention this, I guess?

https://mynintendonews.com/2018/07/...employee-claims-nintendo-is-shutting-it-down/

I'm not sure how closely Glassdoor is policed; it's possible it gets all of the sour grapes from ex-employees, but still.

I want to believe that Retro is doing fine. I really, really, really do.

But...the facts are they were making cutting edge games that Nintendo wanted to push out as marquee releases right up until Prime 3...and after that, they lost their most senior talent, took on less ambitious game design, delivered those games at a slower pace (they released 3 Prime games in 5 years versus 2 DKC games since 2010), and will apparently sit out the first two years of Switch while ex-employees spill beans online from what was once an airtight operation.

It's looking grim, folks.

Goodtwin

I hope its not true, but I can't deny its plausible for sure. Like ET said, three Prime games released and then things slowed down to a crawl, and that is with less ambitious titles. At this point, Nintendo may just feel its difficult to manage a Western developer. Philosophies and culture are very different. We have seen an uptick in partnerships with Japanese third party developers, and if that has proven to be more effective than managing projects with Retro, they may feel its time to move on.

Think they will fall for it since Nintendo sold them a steaming pile of Rare for 500 million?
I was mostly kidding. I'd rather someone buy Retro rather than see them simply shut down. Even though a lot of staff left after Metroid, they still made stellar DK games.

Change them into a smaller dev, someone buy them, whatever, hopefully they don't get completely wasted. I guess the fact Metroid Prime 4 isn't being made by them is a bigger deal than we thought.

At the very least hopefully if they do get shut down all the staff could make their own studio.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I was mostly kidding. I'd rather someone buy Retro rather than see them simply shut down. Even though a lot of staff left after Metroid, they still made stellar DK games.

Change them into a smaller dev, someone buy them, whatever, hopefully they don't get completely wasted. I guess the fact Metroid Prime 4 isn't being made by them is a bigger deal than we thought.

At the very least hopefully if they do get shut down all the staff could make their own studio.
And then after those small studios were successful, EA can buy them and let them die.