What is your favorite Nintendo controller?

Favorite Controller

• Total voters

Koenig

The Architect
What is your favorite Nintendo controller?

What do you like about it over other controllers? And is there anything you dislike about it that could be improved?

(Please note that 3rd party variants and controller revisions are also welcome)

Last edited:

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I was going to say Wii U Pro Controller, but I love the GamePad too damn much. I love having the screen there in front of me for menus and maps as well as off TV play. Also, I find it comfortable to hold for long periods of time. Those things and more make it my favorite.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I like the GameCube Controller and the Wii-U Pro Controller a lot but I think I'll have to give it to the Wii-U Pro Controller for simply being better suited for a larger variety of games

Aki

I voted for the GCN Controller because Nintendo has yet to release a traditional controller that tops it. Only thing wrong with the GCN controller is the lack of a second Z button on the left hand side. As for the Wii U Pro controller, it's too unoriginal and just doesn't look good. Nor do I look the placement of the thumbsticks. The battery life is excellent, though.

Usually, I'd vote for the SNES controller, but I feel like the Wii Classic Controller Pro takes everything that's good about the SNES controller and makes it even better, aside from the colored buttons.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Hmm. I love the simplicity of the NES controller...but you can't deny the influence of the SNES's layout. The GamePad does literally everything, but hasn't been utilized to its full potential...and the Wii remote definitely didn't reach its full potential, which had a higher ceiling than anything else on the list.

Leaning Wii remote right now, but I'm thinking on it.

Koenig

The Architect
The Pro Controller is my favorite hands down. It is very comfortable, has great button placement, and a battery life to put a nuclear power station to shame. My only complaint about it is the lack of certain features that previous controllers did have (Triggers, IR function, and Gryoscope)

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
Currently it's the Wii U GamePad with the Wiimote + Nunchuck being a close second.

The Wii U GamePad is big, comfortable, and has a screen (which is coming in super handy since my TV recently broke). The Wiimote offered some amazing possibilities and is also very comfortable.

Cubits

The Wii remote. It was super comfy due to the split controller, it was unbelievably versatile, it changed the way certain genres should be played, it was a crucial stepping stone for VR, and it was used for scientific advances in many fields.

We even owe it for the brilliant stability of quad copters, which not only makes for brilliant ted presentations, but they've also changed the way film and tv is shot.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Split between the W+N and the Wii CCP. I voted other because the Wii CCP wasn't in the list.

I will always have issues with the W+N setup. I love playing FPS with it, but a lot of problems would have been avoided by adding a single more easy-to-access button on either the nunchuk or Wiimote (pressing up on the D-Pad while using W+N in an FPS is mighty inconvenient). Maybe if the Nunchuk stick was clickable I'd be as happy with it as I could be.

The Wii U Pro Controller would have been my favorite over the CPP if it didn't have that stupid button-stick placement switch that makes it impossible to do the claw, thus making a game like Monster Hunter more difficult to play with it.

simplyTravis

"A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"
I had a really tough time deciding this but ultimately the Wii U Gamepad won because of everything it actually brings to the table. I feel as if it has transcended being a controller and feels like it is something beyond that. I can keep my hands apart slightly further (I have ridiculously wide shoulders) which makes things more comfortable in the long run. It is surprisingly light but solid enough to bludgeon people with and bloo...err..I mean dirt and grime cleans off easily enough. Also, everything about the Wii U Pro controller that I like (button layout, comfort) pretty much applies except for battery life which isn't terrible when you consider what it actually does. Try having the screen on your phone full kilt doing stuff for 3-4 hours and see how much battery life you have!

That being said I love the Wii U Pro controller second best because it has the joysticks up high rather than down low which is my preferred way to play games. That and the fact that I can use the d-pad comfortably too! I always felt like the other controllers out there haven't figured out how to make it feel as if the d-pad and joystick have the same significance or ease of access while playing.

3rd place goes to Wiimote + Nunchuck because I never realized how comfortable it is to play a game where I don't keep my hands together really close! Also, first person shooters are amazing (yet tiring to the wrist/arm) when you can point at the screen for shooting. It makes me wish there were more first person shooters on the Wii U.

My honorable mention would be the Gamecube controller because of its unique configuration (not as unique as N64) being comfortable and interestingly asymmetrical.

Random Stuff I Like About the Rest:

NES - I honestly just like the look of it and that select/start buttons are used more than once a month. After years of Nintendo giving us actual ergonomic controllers I don't like playing with these anymore. Nostalgia be damned!

SNES - 4 face buttons and shoulder buttons whaaaa?!?! Ok, so I'm not the biggest fan of shoulder buttons outside of FPS's. Triggers are where it is at but I could play STREET FIGHTER 2 TURBO! Also, the controller was super responsive, lived through all sorts of things as a kid such as throwing them at siblings, makeshift tripwires, Nintendo-chucks, spilt drinks, dogs chewing on the sides, dogs peeing on them followed by bleach soaking, and all sorts of other things.

N64 - What the hell is this thing? And why do I love it so much? I love triggers!!!! I feel like I'm shooting a gun with this thing! Nifty! But man, what is up with the dust on the side of the joystick? Why is it slowly not working? Oh well, I'll buy another one once a year...worth it.

Virtual Boy - Just a nifty controller. This is the only Post-NES Nintendo system I haven't owned. I needs this. We must have the precccioussss!

EvilTw1n

Alright Wiimote, you win my vote.

You just can't get those Skyward Sword / Red Steel 2 controls anywhere else. It rivals a mouse for playing FPS. I wouldn't have felt nearly as connected to a game like Fragile Dreams if it wasn't for that pointer. Its limitations made Other M one of the most interesting 3D action games I've ever played. It made sports games way better (not just golf or tennis; I loved the gesture passing controls in Madden enough to actually buy Madden). And the way it melded gestures into QTEs made QTEs tolerable - No More Heroes never fails to make me smile.

Plus, with a wrist strap on, it was impossible for me to throw a Wii remote. You have any idea how hard it is to not chuck a GamePad across the room when trying to top @imthesoldier for a speed wall in NFS:MWU?

Koenig

The Architect
Next Question: If you could combine and alter existing controllers to create a new one, what would the "perfect" controller be in your opinion?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Next Question: If you could combine and alter existing controllers to create a new one, what would the "perfect" controller be in your opinion?
I'm split between using the Wii U gamepad as a base, or the Wiimote + Nunchuk. If the gamepad, I'd just switch the right stick and diamon buttons placement, and add analog triggers. If Wiimote + Nunchuk, I'd add motionplus and an IR sensor to the Nunchuk, and a stick tot he Wiimote, somewhere.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Alright Wiimote, you win my vote.

You just can't get those Skyward Sword / Red Steel 2 controls anywhere else. It rivals a mouse for playing FPS. I wouldn't have felt nearly as connected to a game like Fragile Dreams if it wasn't for that pointer. Its limitations made Other M one of the most interesting 3D action games I've ever played. It made sports games way better (not just golf or tennis; I loved the gesture passing controls in Madden enough to actually buy Madden). And the way it melded gestures into QTEs made QTEs tolerable - No More Heroes never fails to make me smile.

Plus, with a wrist strap on, it was impossible for me to throw a Wii remote. You have any idea how hard it is to not chuck a GamePad across the room when trying to top @imthesoldier for a speed wall in NFS:MWU?
What time are you trying to beat now? :mcool:

As far as my favorite Nintendo controller goes, that's tough because the Gamecube is probably the best overall convention controller (Pro Controller being 2nd), but the Wii remote is the best method of control for a 1st person shooter on consoles. The Gamepad is definitely one of the most evolutionary controllers I've ever used, so that accounts for something.

Overall, I have to give a nod to the Gamecube. Its button layout was bar none to all other controllers of the time and today, and even though the D-pad was rather small and the c-stick wasn't the most intuitive, the overall package is better. The Pro controller by contrast is almost too conventional, it doesn't have enough Nintendoness in it for a conventional controller. I want that Gamecube controller feel, but with bumpers and triggers on both sides, and dual analog sticks.

That being said, the Pro controller is the most comfortable conventional controller for the current-gen consoles.

Koenig

The Architect
My idea of the perfect controller would use the Wii U Pro Controller as a base model while incorporating Game-Cube-triggers instead of the current button model, in addition to which I would like to add another two sets of shoulder buttons similar to that of the "New" 3DS but slanted to match the controllers layout and make it easier to use. After that, I would add/segregate the start/select and +/- buttons to seperate sides of the controller; the latter being for in game management while the former retains its traditional roles. Next I would add a motion sensing Gyroscope to the controller akin to what is used in the Gamepad and Wii remote plus, allowing developers to opt for more creative gameplay if that is what they wanted. Finally, and most importantly in my opinion; I would bring back the IR sensor and place it squarely in the middle of the back of the controller so that IR controls could be used for more games.

Essentially I would try to find a way to incorporate every innovation Nintendo has made to the modern controller while still keeping it familiar to the average player. Alternatively the Pro Controller could be swapped out for a Gamepad Base model with some slight revisions.

Aki

My perfect controller is the DualShock 4. Sony took the SNES design and perfected it with the PSX controller. Then they upped themselves by adding analog sticks and set forth the foundation for what a traditional controller is, a template that every controller to this day uses. Then with the DS4 they literally fixed all the quirks of the PS3 controller to make it the best controller ever. My only complaint against it is that the battery kinda sucks, not nowhere near as bad as the GPad batter, but it's still pretty bad. They did add the option to dim the light bar which improved the battery, but it could still be better because the XB1 controller stays charged for days. Also, the quality of the thumbsticks isn't good at all. I've already replaced all the thumbsticks on my PS4 controllers due to them ripping from aggressive use. Haven't had an issue with these new ones, though.

Cubits

The psx controller was crap! It had skinny little wings and the worst dpad ever conceived! It wasn't until the dualshock came around that games were actually playable on the thing! Oh the pain that controller gave me playing tekken...

You can like what has become of that design evolution, but to defend the og psx controller requires some seriously thick rose tinted glasses!

Aki

The psx controller was crap! It had skinny little wings and the worst dpad ever conceived! It wasn't until the dualshock came around that games were actually playable on the thing! Oh the pain that controller gave me playing tekken...

You can like what has become of that design evolution, but to defend the og psx controller requires some seriously thick rose tinted glasses!
No one is defending the original PSX controller. We were asked what our perfect controller is and I said the DualShock 4, the PS4 controller. I do stand by what I said, though, about the PSX controller perfecting the SNES design because in my eyes it did. The SNES controller while perfect in many ways definitely needed handles as evident by the vastly superior Wii VC Pro Controller. As for your gripes with the original PSX controller, my memory of it is a bit faded so I can't say anything on that.

Koenig

The Architect
Throwing my own two cents in, I would say that the PSX controller was better than SNES controller with the exception of the D-Pad. Nintendo's version simply worked better, though I suppose that had more to do with patents than anything else.

Cubits

The dpad was a huge deal on the psx controller because there was no alternative like a thumbstick to use! It is all you had for control, and it was mutilated.

And the snes controller didn't need wings, those were added because the additional l and r buttons required them to be able to hold the controller. The wings on the original barely worked though, unless you had teeny hands.

You should pick one up again some time. I was shocked at how different it felt compared to the ds, my memories of the psx had been completely overwritten with the ds as THE controller.

Aki

I'll just take your word on it, Cubits. However, I will say that I do think the SNES controller needed the handles. I've been extensively playing SNES for quite a few months now and it definitely feels better using the Wii VC Pro than it does the SNES gamepad. Just my opinion, granted, this whole thread is subjective.

EvilTw1n

Motion Plus technology in the Wii remote and nunchuck, but lighter (I always preferred the weight of the original Wiimote). Another button right beside the "A" button" on the remote (or perhaps two smaller buttons right above the "A," and move the D-pad slightly up), another button above the "C" button the the Nunchuck (or perhaps to the right side of the stick).

The GamePad is already close to the "perfect" conventional DA controller for me. Its ergonomics are just a touch off (not as comfortable to play on marathon sessions).

I'd want both options available. Options are good.

Ex-Actarus

Seriously... 1 vote for the SNES controller ?
And the GC controller is not even on the top ?
I'm very surprised... That Gamepad must deliver big time...

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Seriously... 1 vote for the SNES controller ?
And the GC controller is not even on the top ?
It's polarizing as far as I know. But those that like it, like it a lot. It's not even just that it's so comfortable (and like Matt calls it, the cadillac of controllers), but that's it an absolute beast of a machine, the potential is enourmous (it's got a camera, a touch screen, analog sticks, IR sensor, mic, stereo speakers, gyroscope, magnetometer, accelerometer if I'm not mistaken, the NFC technology, and of course the streaming tech that allows for off-TV play). Of course, its potential is largely unfulfilled, unfortunately.

Koenig

The Architect
One thing that does disappoint me with the gamepad is its lack of a forward facing camera; after playing Augmented Reality games on the 3DS I had really hoped Nintendo would capitalize on the idea with the Wii U

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
One thing that does disappoint me with the gamepad is its lack of a forward facing camera; after playing Augmented Reality games on the 3DS I had really hoped Nintendo would capitalize on the idea with the Wii U
Ummm, the Gamepad does have a forward facing camera. Are you talking more about a backward facing camera?

Koenig

The Architect
Ummm, the Gamepad does have a forward facing camera. Are you talking more about a backward facing camera?
I suppose so. I mean a camera on the back of the Gamepad instead of the front; To me a "forward" facing camera is one pointing ahead of you.

Last edited:

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
Wiimote and nunchuk. Motion was hit or miss, but having pointer controls built into a controller is the tits.

The Razor Hydra is the greatest controller design so of course no one makes games for it.

It has the functionality of your regular 360 controller. So even if people hated motion controls, they could still play/develop games intended for a traditional controller.

Plus I love the comfort of having my hands apart. A regular controller is like being in handcuffs. Not the kinky, sexy kind but the back of the squad car kind.

Cubits

I've hooked the gamepad up to a zapper and a ffb steering wheel (it is absolutely amazing for mk8 on a wheel with pedals!). The front-facing camera can do the same face-tracking 3D as the new 3DS. The wider grip it offers is a revelation compared to the other consoles in terms of comfort (remember the original xbox controller? Dorky as hell, but pretty damned ergonomic!).

It's extremely versatile in terms of how it can operate, yet it still holds up very well as a traditional controller.

Also the bathroom gaming thing.

I stand on the side of the gamepad because of all of it's nice and awesome functions. A gyroscope so you can aim or something in games that implement it like with a few items in wind waker and game & wario. I kinda like the face cam but it's kind of useless I guess because haven't really Nintenskyped with anyone or even family who have Wii U. I do like using the TV remote as I don't have satellite tv or cable so it has like half a function for me on that note. Plus I find it to be more comfortable and even showed my friend (who is a Xbox guy) it and he said it was pretty comfortable. Off tv play also helps when I'm playing something and want to watch something off my laptop so everything kinda works out.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
My perfect controller would be an odd mixture of the Wii-U Pro Controller and the Xbox 360 Controller. Take the Analog Stick / Button Layout and the Analog Triggers of the 360 Controller with the D-Pad, Analog Sticks, and Buttons of the Wii-U Pro Controller. Now THAT'D be pure heaven for me

The best controller for me thus far this gen would be the Wii-U Pro Controller followed by the Xbox One Controller and then the DualShock 4

Koenig

The Architect
Does anyone else have trouble reaching the L and R buttons on the Gamepad? I agree that the Gamepad is more comfortable during relaxed play, but for any game that requires me to use the L and R buttons I find it to be less so. Perhaps it is because I am used to the pro controller and its 360 counterpart, but I can't help but feel that the shoulder buttons should have been a tad bit closer to the ZL and ZR buttons.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
I'm eager to try out Valve's controller. Especially the track pads.

Does anyone else have trouble reaching the L and R buttons on the Gamepad? I agree that the Gamepad is more comfortable during relaxed play, but for any game that requires me to use the L and R buttons I find it to be less so. Perhaps it is because I am used to the pro controller and its 360 counterpart, but I can't help but feel that the shoulder buttons should have been a tad bit closer to the ZL and ZR buttons.
Nope. You had to frequently press R in W101, and I had no problems.

Odo

I'm still deciding what is my favourite controller. I'm reading your points as well.

I don't if it's GamePad or Wiimote. I don't know.

Before GamePad, I'd say Wiimote. It's light and the most versatile controller I know. It's so comfortable to use it with Nunchuck. It's got everything you need but split in two hands. Also Wiimote allowed things like Wii Fit happen. Wiimote makes Wii Fit the most precise platform for fitness ever. Wiimote is a Nintendo marvel.

However GamePad has so many extraordinary features. It's a tablet that works like a controllers. A mix between tablet and controller that is not a Frankenstein monster.

I don't know.