What is your Wii U game of the year so far?

BobSilencieux

...And 2 more nominations for GOTY. Basically, if the GOTY award was handed out at the end of july, which game do you think should win it?

Please give reasons, and i'll publish some of your thoughts in an article. You can nominate any 2014 Wii U game that you have played...

BobSilencieux

Wii Fit U[361]
Unepic[356]
F1 Race Stars: Powered Up Edition[115]
Percy's Predicament[241]
The Lego Movie Videogame [335]
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze[100]
My Farm[212][213]
Blok Drop U[55]
Pure Chess[175]
Hello Kitty Kruisers[144]
Cabela's Big Game Hunter: Pro Hunts[62]
My Style Studio: Hair Salon[216]
Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - Deluxe Edition[46]
Evofish[113]
Lego The Hobbit
My Exotic Farm[211]
Flowerworks HD: Follie's Adventure[124]
My First Songs[214]
Ava and Avior Save the Earth[39]
NES Remix 2
Child of Light[71]
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Abyss[12]
Stick It to the Man![306]
Color Zen[82]
Scram Kitty and His Buddy on Rails[269]
Fit Music[123]
Squids Odyssey
Swords & Soldiers[314]
Gravity Badgers[139]
Ittle Dew[164]
Luv Me Buddies Wonderland[182]
Mario Kart 8
1001 Spikes[3]
Chubbins[75]
I've Got to Run![156]
How to Train Your Dragon 2[150]
Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition[23]
Color Zen Kids[83]
GEOM[136]
How to Survive[149]
Pushmo World[257]
Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark[351]
BrickBlast U![60]
Monkey Pirates[202]
My Arctic Farm[210]
My Jurassic Farm[215]
Shovel Knight[278]
Guacamelee!: Super Turbo Championship Edition[140]
Armillo[28]
Bombing Bastards[59]
Internal Invasion[162]
Poker Dice Solitaire Future[248]
ZaciSa's Last Stand[372]
One Piece: Unlimited World Red[233]
The Letter[336]
Master Reboot[196]
Super Toy Cars[311]
Wooden Sen'SeY[366]

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I've honestly been doing not much besides Monster Hunter. I didn't download it until this year, and it's going to be my "on second thought GOTY 2013" (working on that article right now).

Will DL Child of Light when I get home, then come back here. It was the game I was most hyped for earlier this year, but I haven't had a chance to get around to it. I have a feeling it'll take my early 2014 GOTY.

This is a good idea for an article, btw. Because the end of the year is so damn stacked. Bayo 2 and Smash are going to be GOTYs for a lot of people, and they won't remember other good games by the time December rolls around.
I would have to go with MK8.

If I had true balls I would go with my gut and vote for DK:TF
Go for it, dude. Lots of people are going to vote MK8. Might as well give DKCTF some love.

I'm terrible at this sort of thing

1) Donkey Kong Country TP

It's no secret I love platformers with a passion, and even though I played the best of the best from the NES to today, DKC still managed to capture me. It delivered a solid challenge with tight level design, and it's nostalgia induced soundtrack was a cherry on the cake. Of course, the new songs were fantastic in their own right and I'd call some of them modern classics.
It took everything right with Returns and somehow made it all better. More Kong sidekicks to change up the play-style, challenging boss fights there were fair and cinematic rocket barrel/mine cart stages. It also has tons of replay value with puzzle pieces and K-O-N-G letters to find, and a hard mode that lives up to its name.

2) Child of Light

I don't play a lot of RPG's, but the ones I do generally turn out to be some of my favorite games ever. Child of Light is no exception, as it truly captured me and I couldn't stop playing til I saw it's ending.
It's world comes straight out of a fairy tale, and it's characters are all charming and comes with their own troubles. You can feel the weight of the world on everyone's shoulder, and it helps draw you in. The gorgeous artstyle also helps bring the atmosphere to life.
The RPG combat and leveling is simple by today's high standards, but it doesn't make it any less enjoyable. Characters gain XP, get stat boosts and each level allows you to get an upgrade from a skill tree. There is also an elemental system in play which gives you an edge over certain enemies.
Even though the gameplay was fun til the end, the story did a great job of bringing it to another level.

3) Shovel Knight

<copy/pasted from my review>

The bottom line is that Shovel Knight perfectly does what it set out to do. Yacht Club Games set out to make a challenging yet fair and fun game that Capcom used to make in the 80s and in my eyes, they did it. Many games attempt to play the nostalgia card, but this one really made me feel like a kid again — staying up later than I should to play through the last few levels to see what the final boss looked like. One minute, I was laughing and getting pumped up by the music and the next moment I was raging at a difficult part just like I did as a kid. It’s an amazing game in its own right, but I think the people who will truly get the most out of it are the people who grew up with the NES and SNES era of games. As a result, Shovel Knight truly touched me and made me remember why I personally play video games.

thanks for the list. Off of it the things I've played that I'd put in my top 3 now:
Mario Kart 8
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
and hmm probably Scram Kitty.

Toss up between MK8 and DKTF. I'm still playing MK8 pretty much daily, its got that lovely lasting power, but 200%ing Tropical Freeze was incredibly satisfying! I'll go with Tropical Freeze for now, theres still a bunch more games coming out this year that I can see easily taking top spots for favorites of the year.
I would still continue playing Tropical Freeze but its no fun when you realize no matter how hard I try toppling Bob's stupid fast scores isnt worth it.

[I like Shovel Knight but it just doesnt have the staying power for me that it has for others. Was watching the SDCC stream and was happy to hear that they still plan on updating it with new features like multiplayer so I'll look forward to that.
Child Of Light's a beautiful game but I find the method of storytelling earwormy and aggravating. The battle system isnt as deep as I was led to believe either. ]

Goodtwin

MK8 without a doubt. Whats crazy is the amount of eshop Indie titles that have been released this year. I too still need to download Child of Light, the fact that its only about 12 hours long is actually a good thing for me right now, I have far more limited gaming time during the summer months. Honestly the eshop has done a better job of filling the void than I ever expected. Nintendo's first party games along with a big lineup of Indie titles is more than enough to keep me satisfied. Hopefully Devils Third and Splatoon fill the shooter void once COD fails to see yearly releases on Wii U, which might start this year.

Odo

M. K. EIGHT

Stunning,
Sells like a big mac,
Nobody can have enough of it,
It made Nintendo happy,
It helped Wii U,
Great online features,
It may be the best MK ever,
Luigi got mad.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
In terms of the sheer amount of enjoyment, and the quality of that enjoyment - local multiplayer in particular - there's no contest, it's gotta be Mario Kart 8. Not a friend or family member has passed through our place since that game launched that hasn't enthusiastically sat down to play at least a couple cups. We can throw on 50cc with less experienced people, pick unusual character and kart combos and just mess around for fun while laughing and chatting, or I can sit and struggle to grind out wins at a higher test of skill in 150 cc cups or random online, or against the TNE drive club (aka ultimate hard mode) or whatever. Ms Mech has even had co-worker/friends come over early before they carpool to work so that they can squeeze in a half hour of Mario Kart to kick off the day. The evidence is all over our activity logs, MK8 is the hit of 2014 so far, and is likely to stay that way.

GaemzDood

Wii Fit U[361]
Unepic[356]
F1 Race Stars: Powered Up Edition[115]
Percy's Predicament[241]
The Lego Movie Videogame [335]
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze[100]
My Farm[212][213]
Blok Drop U[55]
Pure Chess[175]
Hello Kitty Kruisers[144]
Cabela's Big Game Hunter: Pro Hunts[62]
My Style Studio: Hair Salon[216]
Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - Deluxe Edition[46]
Evofish[113]
Lego The Hobbit
My Exotic Farm[211]
Flowerworks HD: Follie's Adventure[124]
My First Songs[214]
Ava and Avior Save the Earth[39]
NES Remix 2
Child of Light[71]
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Abyss[12]
Stick It to the Man![306]
Color Zen[82]
Scram Kitty and His Buddy on Rails[269]
Fit Music[123]
Squids Odyssey
Swords & Soldiers[314]
Gravity Badgers[139]
Ittle Dew[164]
Luv Me Buddies Wonderland[182]
Mario Kart 8
1001 Spikes[3]
Chubbins[75]
I've Got to Run![156]
How to Train Your Dragon 2[150]
Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition[23]
Color Zen Kids[83]
GEOM[136]
How to Survive[149]
Pushmo World[257]
Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark[351]
BrickBlast U![60]
Monkey Pirates[202]
My Arctic Farm[210]
My Jurassic Farm[215]
Shovel Knight[278]
Guacamelee!: Super Turbo Championship Edition[140]
Armillo[28]
Bombing Bastards[59]
Internal Invasion[162]
Poker Dice Solitaire Future[248]
ZaciSa's Last Stand[372]
One Piece: Unlimited World Red[233]
The Letter[336]
Master Reboot[196]
Super Toy Cars[311]
Wooden Sen'SeY[366]
What's with this kiddy fuccboi shit tho lmao.

Aki

Easily Mario Kart. I don't think any other notable titles aside from MK and Shovelknight were released. At least, none come to mind.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Easily Mario Kart. I don't think any other notable titles aside from MK and Shovelknight were released. At least, none come to mind.
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

:)

EDIT: I'm thinking of changing my decision to Shovel Knight. It really is the best 2D platformer I've played to date. It's soundtrack is insanely good and very catchy. The controls are damn near perfect, with my only issue being that the downstab should only be active when you're pressing down on the D-Pad. The various armors are very well-balanced and are made so they benefit all kinds of players and the enhancements to your shovel are only enough to make you a more capable fighter and don't make you completely invincible or anything like that. I like how you have a lot of flexibility with the checkpoints system as you can smash them for extra money while losing that checkpoint or you can just leave it alone. Death is almost a non-issue as all you lose is money, which can be recovered if you can reach your original point again without dying. Not to mention, the game's challenge is VERY fair without any moment being completely bs or anything of that sort nor do you need to beat the Knights in a certain order in order to have an ability that counters another. All I can say is that the rest of the indie industry and even AAA developers, like Nintendo and Ubisoft, should take some notes from Yacht Club Games on how to make a 2D platformer

Ex-Actarus

After the disappointing reviews of Destiny and Watchdogs, I think a Wii U game could have a shot at Game of the Year : Mario kart 8 ? Smash 4 ? Bayonetta 2 ?

Ex-Actarus

Bayonetta got dat gameplay, once I get that it'll be my GOTY
best deal, best soundtrack, best crazy story, best gameplay, oh baby.

Shovel Knight be overrated up in this bitch.
I just hope it won't be The Last of Us Remastered.

That would not make sense to me...

But I'm afraid it's going to be that game, as many sites out there are just NOT going to elect a Nintendo game...

Aki

I just hope it won't be The Last of Us Remastered.

That would not make sense to me...

But I'm afraid it's going to be that game, as many sites out there are just NOT going to elect a Nintendo game...
I hope you're joking. While it would be lame for the same game to win back to back GOTY awards, imo, The Last of Us Remastered is easily the best game that has come out across Wii U, PS4 and XB1. It's probably going to be like that for quite some time. When Smash comes out then the game will have some competition. Don't get me wrong, MK8 is an excellent game, but I wouldn't say it's the best MK in the series. I'd say it's probably behind Super MK and tied with MK64 as the second best. While imo The Last of Us is easily Naughty Dog's best game to date, surpassing Uncharted 2. I understand that's a very bold claim, but first, the front of the box says "Winner of Over 200 GOTY Awards" and I've already beaten the game twice in the span of six months. I'm currently eyeing up another play through on the highest difficulty. I don't replay games often, so the fact that I'm replaying this game three times in one year says a lot. The fact that this game came out last year on PS3 should have no bearing of its status as a PS4 game because not everyone has played it on PS3 and for those who have, you can clearly tell that it wasn't meant to be a PS3 game.

Last edited:

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I hope you're joking. The Last of Us Remastered is easily the best game that has come out across Wii U, PS4 and XB1. It's probably going to be like that for quite some time.
Ex, joking? That's funny in itself. Ex locks onto something like an alligator and takes into the death roll never letting it go. Once he makes his point he DOES NOT back off of it no matter wrong or not.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
The fact that this game came out last year on PS3 should have no bearing of its status as a PS4 game because not everyone has played it on PS3 and for those who have, you can clearly tell that it wasn't meant to be a PS3 game.
Err...it should have a bearing on its status as a PS4 game. Sorry but, as a gamer, I could never count a last-gen port or a remake as part of a system's library as you can just get it elsewhere for a cheaper price and for more or less the same experience, minus the enhanced graphics and whatnot. It's the same reason you'll never see me recommend The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD on the Wii-U or Star Fox 64 3D on the 3DS

Ex-Actarus

I hope you're joking. While it would be lame for the same game to win back to back GOTY awards, imo, The Last of Us Remastered is easily the best game that has come out across Wii U, PS4 and XB1. It's probably going to be like that for quite some time. When Smash comes out then the game will have some competition. Don't get me wrong, MK8 is an excellent game, but I wouldn't say it's the best MK in the series. I'd say it's probably behind Super MK and tied with MK64 as the second best. While imo The Last of Us is easily Naughty Dog's best game to date, surpassing Uncharted 2. I understand that's a very bold claim, but first, the front of the box says "Winner of Over 200 GOTY Awards" and I've already beaten the game twice in the span of six months. I'm currently eyeing up another play through on the highest difficulty. I don't replay games often, so the fact that I'm replaying this game three times in one year says a lot. The fact that this game came out last year on PS3 should have no bearing of its status as a PS4 game because not everyone has played it on PS3 and for those who have, you can clearly tell that it wasn't meant to be a PS4 game.
That doesn't make ANY SENSE WHATSOEVER !!!
The game already won awards, you can't give it the SAME award AGAIN a year later !

Have you seen movies like the "the Godfather", "Star Wars" or "Gone with the Wind" or "Blade Runner" getting news awards because they're released again ? NOPE !

"The Last of US " was already the game of the year last year. Good for Naught Gods and Sony. Now time to move on...

Ex-Actarus

Ex, joking? That's funny in itself. Ex locks onto something like an alligator and takes into the death roll never letting it go. Once he makes his point he DOES NOT back off of it no matter wrong or not.
This is untrue.
You need to make the difference with a "Fact" and a "Belief".

That's my Belief that the Wii U will have a successor in 2015...
That doesn't make it a Fact...

That's my Belief that Watchdogs Wii U will be cancelled.
That doesn't make it a Fact.

And yes I stay faithful to my beliefs, but and if I end up being wrong, I'm just wrong and I always reckon it !!! So please be accurate on that note !

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
This is untrue.
You need to make the difference with a "Fact" and a "Belief".

That's my Belief that the Wii U will have a successor in 2015...
That doesn't make it a Fact...

That's my Belief that Watchdogs Wii U will be cancelled.
That doesn't make it a Fact.

And yes I stay faithful to my beliefs, but and if I end up being wrong, I'm just wrong and I always reckon it !!! So please be accurate on that note !
Ok Ex chill out man. Goodnight a livin'

Odo

I hope you're joking. While it would be lame for the same game to win back to back GOTY awards, imo, The Last of Us Remastered is easily the best game that has come out across Wii U, PS4 and XB1. It's probably going to be like that for quite some time. When Smash comes out then the game will have some competition. Don't get me wrong, MK8 is an excellent game, but I wouldn't say it's the best MK in the series. I'd say it's probably behind Super MK and tied with MK64 as the second best. While imo The Last of Us is easily Naughty Dog's best game to date, surpassing Uncharted 2. I understand that's a very bold claim, but first, the front of the box says "Winner of Over 200 GOTY Awards" and I've already beaten the game twice in the span of six months. I'm currently eyeing up another play through on the highest difficulty. I don't replay games often, so the fact that I'm replaying this game three times in one year says a lot. The fact that this game came out last year on PS3 should have no bearing of its status as a PS4 game because not everyone has played it on PS3 and for those who have, you can clearly tell that it wasn't meant to be a PS4 game.
Mk8 is my game, but yes, it's a great game, brilliant, stunning, but for me it doesn't beat some of the older ones.

That doesn't make ANY SENSE WHATSOEVER !!!
The game already won awards, you can't give it the SAME award AGAIN a year later !

Have you seen movies like the "the Godfather", "Star Wars" or "Gone with the Wind" or "Blade Runner" getting news awards because they're released again ? NOPE !

"The Last of US " was already the game of the year last year. Good for Naught Gods and Sony. Now time to move on...
Indeed. The Last of Us, remastered or not, is a last year's title.