What Kind of Gamer are you?

I usually do the standard difficulty before I start movin on up *cue music*. Though I started doing COD campaigns straight at Hard difficulty with the recent games.

Dammit, I voted the wrong thing. Just epic fail. Anyways, I sometimes either go on Normal mode then go with Hard mode. Depends how my gaming skills are.

While I normally select Normal at first, it really depends on if it's a new genre or series for me. Fire Emblem Awakening was my second attempt at the series so I went with Normal, while Wind Waker HD I went straight for Hero Mode.

Tucker

“Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”
Not enough options /10
Depending on the game, I usually start one step above normal, and then subsequent playthroughs are played easier for a more narrative experience (replaying the frustration kills me).

I think Mass Effect is my only exception where I'll go back for more pain.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I couldn't care less about my gamer cred, so if there's an easy option, odds are I'll start there (if that option is too easy, then I'll up the difficulty).

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Definitely go with normal first time through.
If I decide to replay and want the challenge, then I'll up the difficulty.

I don't want to ruin the experience for myself by getting frustrated the first time through on a game if I make it too difficult for myself and screw up the learning curve.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
It really depends on the genre or series. RPG's or strategy games I'll often jump into on Hard to see how I fare (as often as not it stays there), but overall I'm just as likely to click the default Normal difficulty on a game without even really thinking about it. Mario Kart I start off on 50cc cups and work my way up accordingly (it's less fun to go back to lower difficulties in MK, so I find it best to start with it). I'm really all over the place.

ZyroXZ2

If I can tell the game is going to be easy, I crank the difficulty up.
If I can tell the game is going to be hard, I leave it on the default difficulty.
If I can tell the game has nothing to do with gameplay and it's just basically a story game or cinematic game, I turn it down to easy so I can just get through the story.