What Nintendo really needs is a new F-Zero

https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/2018/03/11/nintendo-make-forzagran-turismo-experience-switch/

Why not? Those games are popular, get with the trend.

Two problems though: fans of those games have long since shifted away from Nintendo, since the competition is where it's at. A game like that may not sell that well on Switch (though perhaps it will if it's first party). That mechanism also creates the problematic situation of 3rd parties preferring to do clones and genres of Nintendo games, limiting the diversity of genres and games available, making Nintendo platforms less attractive/ unable to cater to the tastes and needs of the general population. You buy a Nintendo if you're a Nintendo fan. Third party you go somewhere else. They have broken the mold with indies (with success), they could try their hand at (realistic) racing (as in not Mario Kart). I don't see it happening though.

What Nintendo really needs to do, is make a new home console F-Zero (may be more realistic too, even if they've ignored it for well over a decade now). Why? Because F-Zero X is the best racing game I have ever played, because F-Zero is unique (fits their philosophy), but also because it is quite realistic in its own right. A futuristic racing game realistic you say? Lemme explain.

First off, let me say that some realistic racers are anything but realistic in their sense of speed. You'll be shitting your pants pushing 100 mph into a curb in real life, but in a video game it looks like you're doing 30. In that sense F-Zero combines the best of both worlds. It is fast paced and action packed like an arcade racer, yet very technical and deep skill. The arcade racer is more instant-fun but shallow, the simulation game deep but rather tame/difficult at the surface.

F-Zero really shines in the fundamentals. The handling/ controls for example are done superbly. To the extent that you actually feel (what) your ship (is capable of). You have a very fine degree of control. For clarity, I'm talking here about the 3D F-Zero's, since they gain so much from the added technical capabilities. And in my opinion, X bests GX.

Next, the physics. You can go two ways about this. Say you bump into a wall. You could program: with speed and angle a) you get this result. B this. C this. And so on. It's just a predestined outcome. There are games like this. More options are better, but it's still predestined. The other way is to simulate things like speed, momentum, mass as accurately as possible. F-Zero X does this brilliantly. Every collision is unique. You make a lot of speed on a curbed surface? Careful 'cause you're about to fly off. The game just feels right.

Since it's high speed, there's the intense focus you need to race through those tracks as good as you can, trying to avoid any mistakes you can. Especially if you go for the max acceleration sliding strat (drifting). That's controlled chaos. Like a grind in skating. It's out of control but you learn to master a degree of control over it. There's the air time and speed through pivotting and landing well.

F-Zero is not like other futuristic racing games ( WipeOut) where ships swerve and handle more like trucks than fast, agile verhicles. Controls are very responsive and technical; there are various techniques to get through curbs an what not. There's catching boost pads and managing your own energy. You need to be strategic about using your ship's boost and collisions get punished by taking energy. Collisions can also really nullify your momentum, so avoiding the pack is important when you've built up speed.

You're going to see a lot of the other ships. When they were programming the game, they specifically wanted to avoid you taking off and then each ship doing it's own thing, not seeing much of each other for the rest of the race. You're part of a pack and you have to work your way up. Another things is memorization. There are al kinds of bends, curbed surfaces, wobbly roads, jumps, parts with no railing, etc., ice, dirt and recharge strips to be aware of. Tracks can be very different from each other and you need to memorize each one carefully.

When you're racing opponents, there's the strategic component of side/spin attack, comparable to ramming in real racing. It does damage to the other ship, but it's not easy to pull off, slows you down and even risky to pull of in certain situations (track parts with no rails), so it does not eschew the balance in favor of party, racing game. But's there. A strategic take-out of an adversary can mean the difference between ending first or second on the ladder.

But Grand Prix is just a small part of the fun. There's also time attack. And believe me, as your skills grow, you may find yourself spending a lot of time here, getting a lot of enjoyment out of that endless quest for perfection. I can spend ours in the game, just doing laps on certain tracks, shaving off seconds, leveling up my skill. The pursuit of staff ghosts will keep you going, but you can venture beyond that, into of the realm of records and world records for the truly talented and dedicated.

I haven't played Forza Motorsport 7, but the author says it's a great racing game. I believe him. If you want something like that on your Nintendo, maybe you're better off buying another console (it's not cheap, yes). Or you can wait for it. However, if you want a pure racing game that perfectly captures the essence of racing, pray for F-Zero.

mattavelle1

Crunk Ain’t Dead!!!
F-Zero is my favorite Nintendo franchise and I would wanna see one make it to the switch. The great thing about the series is it progressively gets better with each installment. And with the amazingness of GX I can’t imagine how crazy the next one COULD be.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I love F-Zero and have been asking for a new one since the Wii U came out. Your post is making me want to go play GX again, OP. And it's interesting that you say X is better than GX. I only rented X so I didn't get to experience it the same way as GX.

I have two big wishes from the franchise. One is 30-player online races. It sounds like a lag nightmare but it they can pull it off it would be an amazingly addictive game. The other is a dynamic Grand Prix mode where your character has interesting interactions with the other racers depending on what you do. For example, if your character's rival knocks out your character's friend, a specific bit of dialogue would play without interrupting gameplay (like in Star Fox). Basically, I just want something that feels like Redline:

I love F-Zero and have been asking for a new one since the Wii U came out. Your post is making me want to go play GX again, OP. And it's interesting that you say X is better than GX. I only rented X so I didn't get to experience it the same way as GX.

I have two big wishes from the franchise. One is 30-player online races. It sounds like a lag nightmare but it they can pull it off it would be an amazingly addictive game. The other is a dynamic Grand Prix mode where your character has interesting interactions with the other racers depending on what you do. For example, if your character's rival knocks out your character's friend, a specific bit of dialogue would play without interrupting gameplay (like in Star Fox). Basically, I just want something that feels like Redline:

A while back I went back and beat all staff ghosts in GX. I was methodical about it too. Watching the pros on youtube how they do each track. Progressively improving, saving replays and ghosts of my best times. Then my memory card corrupted (thank your third party manufacturer/ Nintendont). Life, learning to let go ;-)

GX is a really good racing game, but X is better imo. Here's a detailed explanation of mine on why:
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/why-f-zero-x-is-better-than-gx.634046/page-2#post-253198759

Yes 30 player online races would be awesome. Think of GX's excellent replay mode and imagine people speccing or watching commentated broadcast races. F-Zero has huge potential there. Major franchises are pushing e-sport racing (Forza, Gran Turismo, Porject Cars). The time is now. Getting into racing is fairly simple and straightforward too. You don't need in-depth knowledge to enjoy watching like in RTS or Moba, where I don't even know what the heck is going on.

Another major thing is track creation and sharing (a modernized version of X's track editor, with social features a la Mario Maker). You could race competitiveIy on those tracks too. I love watching elite pilots run X custom tracks.

I like your Redline/Star Fox-like idea of in-game pop-up conversation in some sort of story mode. Reminds me of someone who proposed an open world F-Zero where you explore, interact and engage in races, but that is a game onto itself. Since you mention Wii U, I had the idea of two-pilot racing teams where one guy would sit with his back to the pilot, using the gamepad to look around and warn for possible incoming spin and side attacks.

An F-Zero related gameplay video I watched recently. Guy isn't that good and tracks aren't particularly special, but he did add custom textures, it's pretty cool:

Old and bad quality, but an example on how creative you can go on custom tracks. This pilot, Uchiha Madao/Madao Joestar, is quite good obviously:

There are also TAS runs on youtube, which explores the boundaries of what's possible and pushes the physics to the max. It's like some sort of super human playing the game, but the craziness can be too much (physics abuse and a run that's like almost unrecognizable from a normal one). If you want to improve your X game, WMJ has a video tutorial up on youtube where he guides you through different skill level runs.

BobSilencieux

I also think that X is better than GX. I had so much fun with that one back in the day. I can remember even making a VHS video of my run on Death Race and sending it in (as in, physically, through the real world postal service) to N64 magazine for them to put on their high score leader board pages.

Those were the days.

I've been wanting a new F-Zero for years. Doesn't feel like it's ever going to happen.
I know the feeling...

I also think that X is better than GX. I had so much fun with that one back in the day. I can remember even making a VHS video of my run on Death Race and sending it in (as in, physically, through the real world postal service) to N64 magazine for them to put on their high score leader board pages.

Those were the days.
Still glad we have the internet now ;-p

Edit: but always nice to hear there others appreciating the masterpiece that is F-Zero X. Often only GX is mentioned or claimed to best game in the series, because it's the modern one, with modern, flashy graphics. I'll accept that claim from someone who has played both games extensively. Then it's just personal preference. But if not, please educate yourself.

Edit 2: And nowadays you can play X on an emulator with HD sharpness, improved draw distance and custom textures. Doesn't look half bad. And the game (graphics) oozes style, that's for sure.

Last edited:
I played F-Zero at the time of its release, the nostalgia will necessarily alter my judgment but it's racing game that struck me the most by its atmosphere (the soundtrack super! ) and especially by its playability and difficulty perfectly dosed !!!