What Project Cars Might Look Like on Wii U

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Neat. Here's a vid of GT6, for comparison's sake.

[Of course, decent car physics and responsive steering are more important than puddle reflections. :p]

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Neat. Here's a vid of GT6, for comparison's sake.

[Of course, decent car physics and responsive steering are more important than puddle reflections. :p]
The cars of GT6 may be nice, but the courses look rather dated by comparison. This is where Project CARS shines I think considering it's also designed for current gen hardware.

GamingFreak1988

The Platformer Guru
Yeah that definitely looks too good to be true even if it did run 720p and 30fps to get that. Ehh only way to find out for sure is when it releases.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Considering its a "simulation" and the guy probably undercut the actual Wii U's capabilities, and the games running at 720p already, Im positive the final build will look better than that

EvilTw1n

Considering its a "simulation" and the guy probably undercut the actual Wii U's capabilities, and the games running at 720p already, Im positive the final build will look better than that
As there is no description in the video, we have no idea what this person did at all. Perhaps he undercut the Wii U, or perhaps he over estimated its capabilities. It's nothing more than a ballpark guess, and there's no way to be absolutely positive of anything based upon it.
The cars of GT6 may be nice, but the courses look rather dated by comparison. This is where Project CARS shines I think considering it's also designed for current gen hardware.
Well, it was at least partly designed around the PS3 and 360, but as those versions were stealthily shelved, and CARS got a lengthy delay, who knows?

GT6 had the benefit of exclusivity with a dev dedicated to the hardware. The Wii U version of CARS...not so much. But at least Slightly Mad is now working solely with the "(comparatively) slower CPU, better GPU" combo of next-gen boxes. I just want a good sim, but I'm intrigued to see how well the game scales down. SM could make a lot of other developers look bad/lazy.

ZyroXZ2

Considering that simulation is running in 1080p instead of 720p, I recommend people watch it in 720p to get a more accurate representation of the Wii U version, lol

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I mean, we JUST saw footage from The Order that looks worse from how the "PS4 simulation on PC" graphics looked last year or whatever. I'll safely assume that it's going to look worse.

Not that it matters much, just saying I think that's what I expect. Game is still going to be beautiful, and possibly play great.

hogge

So I looked through the video and I can say the following: It's a darned good looking game.

However, I don't really see anything that the Wii U shouldn't be able to handle. The roadside trees use the same tricks to make lo-poly foliage look good as you see in Forza or even Velocity Stream. The rain droplets on the surface of the car looks amazing, but that's something we saw in Need for Speed Most Wanted U. The car models I've seen so far don't really seem to be miles ahead of what's been seen in the likes of Forza 4. When the clouds move across the sky that quickly, it's easy to tell that they're just a particle system.

What I see on the other hand is a bat shit crazy ammount of EFFORT. The game looks great because the developers have invested time and come up with visual effects that just look amazing. The way that the wheels throw up water into the air. The way that trail of water lights up when you hit the brakes. The fact that there is a moving cloud system, rather than just a plain skybox. The puddles on the ground, creating real-time reflections.

My conclusion: perhaps the Wii U won't run this at 1080p and 60 fps. But the graphics should look just as good, or at least not considerably worse on the Wii U than in that video. Remember, these developers have said that they were surprised by how powerful the Wii U was.

Shoulder

So I looked through the video and I can say the following: It's a darned good looking game.

However, I don't really see anything that the Wii U shouldn't be able to handle. The roadside trees use the same tricks to make lo-poly foliage look good as you see in Forza or even Velocity Stream. The rain droplets on the surface of the car looks amazing, but that's something we saw in Need for Speed Most Wanted U. The car models I've seen so far don't really seem to be miles ahead of what's been seen in the likes of Forza 4. When the clouds move across the sky that quickly, it's easy to tell that they're just a particle system.

What I see on the other hand is a bat shit crazy ammount of EFFORT. The game looks great because the developers have invested time and come up with visual effects that just look amazing. The way that the wheels throw up water into the air. The way that trail of water lights up when you hit the brakes. The fact that there is a moving cloud system, rather than just a plain skybox. The puddles on the ground, creating real-time reflections.

My conclusion: perhaps the Wii U won't run this at 1080p and 60 fps. But the graphics should look just as good, or at least not considerably worse on the Wii U than in that video. Remember, these developers have said that they were surprised by how powerful the Wii U was.
This is basically what I've been saying. For the most part, the Wii U should be able to output pretty much the same graphics as the PS4 and Xbone, but at a reduced resolution and framerate (So [email protected] vs. [email protected]). I don't intend for Project CARS to look exactly the same as the PS4 version, but the differences might be minimal I'd imagine. We'll see when SM shows off some Wii U footage.

Last edited:
Definitely looks really promising! I really hope they show actual footage from the Wii U version sometime soon. I'm also hoping they add some kind of cool extra features with the GamePad; that would definitely make me want to buy it.

EvilTw1n

^
It's not really surprising. CARS has been delayed like it's a damn Zelda game.

It was originally supposed to hit PC in 2012. It then got delayed until March-ish 2013. Then pushed back to holiday 2013. Then pushed back to mid-2014...while cancelling PS3/360 versions. Now it's holiday 2014 and early 2015.

I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4/One version gets pushed back again. Slightly Mad is playing with fire. If this game isn't one of the best sims ever released, they'll have wasted a lot of peoples' time.

ASuch

The Salt Master
It's likely that once they got enough to do the PS4/X1 versions, they focused more on that since the consoles version will simply be a downgraded PC game

It looks like they've also been trying to effectively make the GamePad in to a real life racing wheel as well

And mind you guys, we've never actually seen what the Wii U version looks or plays like

Shoulder

^
It's not really surprising. CARS has been delayed like it's a damn Zelda game.

It was originally supposed to hit PC in 2012. It then got delayed until March-ish 2013. Then pushed back to holiday 2013. Then pushed back to mid-2014...while cancelling PS3/360 versions. Now it's holiday 2014 and early 2015.

I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4/One version gets pushed back again. Slightly Mad is playing with fire. If this game isn't one of the best sims ever released, they'll have wasted a lot of peoples' time.
I just watched Shawn's Rant video on YT just now, and it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the delay. If the game isn't ready, just fucking tell us rather than beating around the bush. Stop this nonsense, and explain to us why you made the decision you did.

In the end, the game itself will probably still be good, but for only the Wii U version to be delayed and not the other versions leads creedence to the idea that maybe Namco doesn't have a lot of faith in the game to begin with. But then why bother having the game on the system in the first place?

Perhaps however, there's a chance Nintendo contacted them and want to include some Nintendo-themed tracks and cars, or perhaps mesh it with Mario Kart 8? I'm just throwing ideas out really, and not saying this is what I think will happen.