What's Your Favorite Game and Why? (Front Page Article)

Hey guys. In case you didn't hear, we got this little thing happening where we're giving you people (the forums users) more control over what you see on the front page.

Read more here: http://nintendoenthusiast.com/forums/threads/tne-wonderful-ones-unite-up.1953/#post-83787

And post your ideas and shizz here: http://nintendoenthusiast.com/forums/threads/tne-what-would-you-like-to-read.1954/

For our first article, we wanna start big. Godzilla big. GOAT big. So, we're focusing entirely on you crowd. Literally everything in the article is gonna be typed up by YOU!

Title says it all my good friend. What is your all time favorite game. Could be Nintendo, could be not-Nintendo. More importantly, why is it your favorite game? Do you have special nostalgia for it? Maybe you lost your virginity to the soundtrack? And maybe, it's just damn good.

All the posts here will be collected and compiled to a front page article for the public.

I know us around here, we're a bunch of rule breakers who ain't got time for respect and shit. So, I know a lot of discussion is gonna be here, i.e. replies to other users on why and such. So, when you type up your post for the front page, type POST ON FRONT PAGE somewhere in your post, this just makes my job easier to pick out the posts instead of digging through all the chaos.

And...GO!

I'm gonna sleep on my answer so that'll come later.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I have a game in mind. I'll have a write-up for you all within the next few days. Whether or not you use it is not relevant. I just care about sharing my all-time favorite video game with you all. :)

EDIT: Just so we're all clear, is there a particular word limit on this thing? Do you simply want a paragraph or can a more in-depth write-up be included?

So, err, we post in this thread and then click a 'Post to Front Page' button?
No. Write your thing in here. Type the words "POST ON FRONT PAGE" in you post to let me know which posts to copy/paste. It helps me out.

I have a game in mind. I'll have a write-up for you all within the next few days. Whether or not you use it is not relevant. I just care about sharing my all-time favorite video game with you all. :)

EDIT: Just so we're all clear, is there a particular word limit on this thing? Do you simply want a paragraph or can a more in-depth write-up be included?
Not really a word limit. Just type up what you need to let people know why it's your fav. And of course your post will be included.

UNITE SHOULDER!

Thanks CoV for clearing that up. This is annoying though, I feel like I recently typed up why Star Fox 64 is my favourite game of all time but can't find much after using the search function.....hmm, guess I'll type up a new thing then later or over the weekend some time!

Thanks CoV for clearing that up. This is annoying though, I feel like I recently typed up why Star Fox 64 is my favourite game of all time but can't find much after using the search function.....hmm, guess I'll type up a new thing then later or over the weekend some time!
I found a bunch of your posts saying your perfect star fox game, and I found a bunch saying "I won't repeat why Star Fox 64 is my favorite again", but I can't find the post in which you say why it is.

Sorry

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
If it turns out that there's a lot of overlap (different people liking the same game), you could turn this into a sort of "TNE's Top 5" or something.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
This is my post for the article....

Favorite Game, Thy Name is Zelda....

I've been pondering this question since it was posted as the idea for the article, and am having a tough time with it....

You see whenever I'm asked a question like this so many games go through my head as the answer....

I must have played thousands of games since I started when I was 5, and have loved so many of them over the years.... So when somebody asks this question I don't take it lightly.... Having had the grand chance to play most every great game released over the past 25 years puts me in a precarious spot when trying to decide what game is the best I've ever had the pleasure of playing.... But in the end I always come back to one series....

The Legend of Zelda games have to be my first choice.... I would be lying if I said anything else....

Over the course of the past 25 years I've been engrossed by Link's adventures in the land of Hyrule.... From NES to Wii U, I have extremely enjoyed playing every Zelda game ever released minus the a couple handheld titles like Phantom Hourglass and Minish Cap that I've missed.... And I still have yet to play A Link Between Worlds (SOON!)....

To explain why I belive this series is the best I've ever played I'll take you on a trip down memory lane and explain my first experience with Zelda....

The Legend of Zelda

Released in 1986 for the original Nintendo Entertainment System, Zelda was an interesting game even before you played it.... Before I had even ever seen the game played or played it myself, legends about its special gold cartridge spread throughout my neighborhood.... All of my friends were talking about this game called ZELDA that had this awesome gold cart.... I mean to kids like us it might as well have been made out of real gold, it was something I had never encountered before, and it was exciting.... I had been playing SMB, Gradius and Contra a lot at the time because those were the games I got with my NES for my birthday and had never really played a game like everyone was explaining ZELDA was going to be like.... So even before I had a controller in my hand, ZELDA was mysterious and exciting to me....

Time went by, my friends were all waiting to see who would be the first one of us to get ZELDA, and suddenly it happened....

A friend of mine was lucky enough to have a birthday and of course we all made him ask his parents for Zelda so we could play it at his house or borrow it when he was done.... At first we were all over at his house everyday for like a month watching him play and helping him conquer the game.... When he finally did beat it he spilled all the beans on the game at a little meeting we had and said he would now let everyone else borrow it, but there were like seven of us.... So we decided to draw straws and of course I got the smallest one and ended up having to be the last one to get it....

So months go by and I'm waiting and waiting to get my hands on this copy of ZELDA.... It was already a legendary game because of the way it was passed along between all my friends and played by all of them.... So it ends up being like and entire summer before I finally get my hands on it.... It still had my friend who owned the game's save on it as he made us keep it there for him, but after the rest of my friends were done they had to delete their saves to make room for the rest of our playthroughs....

I remember my buddy bringing it over to me.... I heard a knock and sprang up from the floor where I was playing Nintendo on my Mom's old wooden box RCA TV and ran to the door.... I open it and there is my friend Ryan, and in his hands is this fabled copy of ZELDA that has been passed around between every kid on my block.... He looks at me and says "Finally your turn dude." He hands it to me and it's like slow motion.... I'm looking at this cart and seeing that it's been beat to hell.... The gold paint had chipped off of some of it, it had scratches all over it revealing the plastic underneath, but it was in my eyes the most beautiful thing I have ever seen....

I took it out of the sleave and immidiatly started reading the manual.... The art was fantastic.... It was the most beautiful instruction booklet I had ever seen at that point in my life....

Shit, even still to this day....

But when I looked in the back of the instruction booklet I found something even more stupendous.... ALL OF MY FRIENDS HAD HAND WRITTEN NOTES ON EVERYTHING IN TEH GAME FROM START TO FINISH! It was like looking into the eyes of God.... I had everything I needed to know to beat the game 10 times over right there in my hand! But then I noticed something written on the first page at the top right that said "Only use if you get stuck!" and the initials of my buddy who owned the game in the first place....

So I had decided right then and there before I even blew into the bottom of the cart (which was almost a gamer custom back then) and rammed it into my NES that I was going to try and do it myself....

Over the course of the next week I played fake sick to my Mom to get out of going to school so I could hide out in her room and play ZELDA from back to front.... The moment I booted it up I knew it was going to be special.... The music, the story, the graphics, teh mystery.... It all grabbed me by the brain and had me completely and utterly immerssed in this new land called Hyrule.... What was this mysterious place...? What secrets did it hold for me to uncover...? Would I be up to the challenge...?

It was like the moment I started playing I was there in Hyrule discovering new and wonderous things....

Now you could take this experience with my first ZELDA game and apply it to every major ZELDA console release over the past 25 years.... I have a story like this one for every era of Nintendo....

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the day I left reality behind for the digital land of Hyrule to go save a princess from an evil wizard known as Ganon, the truth is... I never came back....

And I have been enjoying my adventures in Hyrule ever since....

Last edited:

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
I just want to be supportive.... So I thought maybe if I went first it might inspire others to make some badass posts for the article this week....

I can't wait to read what everyone else has to say about their favorite games....

ASuch

The Salt Master
alright here we go POST ON FRONT PAGE

My favorite game of all-time is Mother 3. When I first played it, it was a time in my life where things finally started turning around and I became who I am today. Prior to this, I had played Earthbound and then Mother 1 by recommendation of CoV, actually. While the previous two games were good, this was even better.

The sound design was SO much better than Earthbound. Honestly, I hated most of EB's soundtrack. It tried too hard to be LOL I'M SO WEIRD XD that it was a pain to listen to. While nothing in the entire series can compare to Mother 1's version of the "Eight Melodies", Mother 3 was leaps and bounds overall better sounding. Songs like "F-F-Fire", other versions of the Pigmask theme, "Intense Guys", "Unfounded Revenge", "Natural Killer Cyborg", any of the battle themes, "16 melodies", "Snowman", etc. stuck with me like crazy. I'm a huge sucker for kickass trumpets, saxophones, and guitars, and Mother 3 provided all of those in spades.

Second, the gameplay and fighting was superb, especially for a turn-based RPG. Copious enemies in M3 weren't just variations of piles of shit like in Earthbound, thankfully. The monsters were also always interesting to fight. Like with the Barrier Trio. And then you have Negative Man, RIP in piece that was a great fight. And then, there's always some action happening. And the action is intense, like storming the Pig Mask base. The game also breaks up these high-heat moments with hilarious things like the Club Titiboo event. There's humor and hilarious moments all over the place, like the talking cows.

WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS FROM HERE ON OUT

The story was also really amazing, and a lot less convoluted and far out than Earthbound. From the first few hours of the game you see a major transformation in daily life. The residents of your home town start adopting machinery and everyone becomes a bit of a dick to everyone. If you've ever read anything by Bradbury (hate him, but that's for another time) then you know what to expect from this change in lifestyle. The boxart even symbolizes this; nature trying to coexist with metal in the title. The story is just heart-breaking as well. Your mom gets killed extremely quickly. You learn how your world came to be; everyone wanted to escape the problem of the "Dragon", so they took white boat to a new island and reset their entire lives; at first, they were just acting, but that acting soon became their actual life, and barely anyone can remember the days of before the boat. The threat of the dragon arises again to destroy or save the world. Your twin brother becomes a slave to Pokey, the secondary antagonist of the game. In the final moments, your twin brother commits suicide to fix his wrongs. It reminds us that the world isn't perfect and people's motivations and actions aren't perfect. Claus didn't have to kill himself. When sanity seemed to take over, his insanity to end his own insanity prevailed, and he commits suicide. Ultimately, the world is a better place after all. The world does become saved by it being ultimately destroyed and rebuilt from the ashes.

The player doesn't actually see the new world, only a black screen with people talking appears. And that's the ending. There is a LOT of other symbolism I could talk about, like the dream of the Sunflower Field or the mushroom trip. The story achieved something that only games like Half Life 2 or Final Fantasy VII or Chrono Trigger made me do; care about the story and the characters. Each character has their own quirks; they aren't just archetypes like the characters in Earthbound. There's Lucas, the protagonist of the story. Then there's Boney, his hysterical dog. Next, there's Duster, a cunning and clever thief who has his own problems to deal with. Finally, there's Kumatora, a princess with magical powers and her problems to deal with.

Perhaps the overall theme of the game is admitting what your issues are and solving them, instead of trying to forget or shrug them off. Like with Final Fantasy VII's theme of identity loss, Mother 3's main characters (besides Boney) go through their own versions of the theme and the story is central to that.

There aren't that many games that I would give a 10/10. Wind Waker HD, Chrono Trigger, and Half Life 2 among others, perhaps. But Mother 3 will always be my 11/10, and the game that really brought me back to video games and RPG's. God bless Itoi.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
See ASuch's post here ^^^ That's passion for what you are indeed writing about.... IMO that is all anyone here really needs to do.... Be passionate about what you love....

And let that love flow through your fucking heart into your fingers and onto the keyboard.... Just let that shit flow....

That is where you will find quality.... Where you find passion.... Good fucking post ASuch....

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
counter-strike is the greatest game ever made. it's got a ludicrously high skill ceiling (bested only by quake and arguably star craft), THE best multiplayer maps, an absurdly dedicated fan base and infinite replay value. i've put more hours into that game than any other, and still play on a semi-regular basis. it's the best game for lan parties, the best game for clan play... it's just great. it's my favorite game, and probably always will be.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
FRONT PAGE POST FOR ME

After much consideration, I have favorite games across all genres. So to pick THE ONE is no simple task still holding onto games I loved so much all the way back to the NES. The more I thought tho the harder it was for me to justify putting anything above Metroid Prime. Once you get into this realm of whats you favorite game you have to be really really nitpicky on the games you hold dearest. And as I travel my mind thinking about the whole experience of Metroid Prime there is not one single thing I can detract from it enough to call it a flaw.

The controls were unreal tight as I have come to expect from Nintendo as they are mainly gameplay first, so this was no surprise. What did shock me so much tho was putting totally flawless platforming into a FPS. Normally jumping and platforming has not lent itself well in the FPS world. The depth on other games has not be quite right, or the platforming was an after thought. The original Primes world is built around the premise that if you can see it you can go there with ease. That was a truly spectacular feat to me.

Seriously need I go on because next up is music. To be honest I really don't even care for music in my games that much, this game changed me from that notion. Every area was perfectly fitted with the perfect score. Phendrana Drifts to this day is the most perfect music in an area that I have ever experienced, it was overwhelming how I felt walking into that area for the first time and hearing the score. At one point I killed all the monsters and just sat, closed my eyes and listened. The music game me an unwavering sense of exploration and imagination. When you have do this, you have done something.

Scanning is the thing that was the game changer for me and brought the whole world together, and made Samus and her suit make total sense (not that it didn't already). The games story was told thru text, never breaking the action but continuing to drive you deeper and deeper into the world. You felt like her looking outta the visor, like you had a living breathing computer built around your body. I loved all the details they put in such as telling you what certain flowers were, or scanning a boss multiple times to see where you have damaged it, and what it has evolved into. Amazing!

Speaking of which the combat was spot on as well making Samus feel to me like she was truly unstoppable, possibly the most amazing and devastating videogame game character ever created. The bosses, and regular creatures for that matter were all a site to see and fight. Walking thru areas with a boss sleeping and him not busing outta his slumber till you come back thru was tense. So finely crafted for end to end.

There were many other games that I considered, none of the had quite all this tho after I got done breaking them down. Metroid Prime is a masterpiece in my eyes, and is this mans #1 game of all time.

POST ON FRONT PAGE

There are many games that we can consider masterpieces. However, usually the first huge masterpiece you've ever played is the one that gives you a truly lasting impression. While my favorite game of all time is not the first game I've ever played, it's this kind of game I just described. This game pushed me into gaming, only to never leave. I still remember me opening the console with this game back in 2001, when I was only 5 years old, and loving every single second of the world this game offered.

This is it, my favorite game ever:

Yep, I rank Mario's first 3D adventure as my personal favorite.

There are many reasons. First, the open fields that allowed for lots of exploration and things to do. Searching every nook and cranny to find where the Star was, to find the 100th coin, to find a switch, a passage, swim through huge bodies of water to get all the red coins, and I could go on. However, the more "obstacle course"-like Bowser levels aren't worse by any means. The challenge and uniqueness they had was also pretty awesome, and just added to the game.

A very big reason for me as well is how Mario had a LOT of moves, that he never had in any other game. He could punch, kick, dive, slide, triple jump, somersault, and more. It just added a lot to the game and made you have lots of options to defeat one enemy, plus multiple possibilities for boss battles.

Even though it was made with nowadays very dated technology, the music is also pretty good too. From the bumpy main theme, to the exciting theme that played on the slide levels, to the extremely relaxing and peaceful music that played on water levels, to the energetic music that played on the Bowser battles, and finally, to the spine-chilling theme that played in the final Bowser battle. And the music was able to convey these emotions and feelings, even though they are in MIDI format, again, a very dated technology.

While the graphics have indeed aged to today's standards, I still see Mario 64 as one of the prettiest N64 games, and it still looks good, even though it's obviously not very detailed.

Another reason why I love this game is because of the multiple details that it has, that for some reason, are heartwarming for me. First of all, we can mess up with Mario's head right when we turn the console on. Then, you go to the game itself. From the letter Peach sends Mario in the beginning, to Lakitu flying by the castle to start "filming" Mario jumping off a Warp Pipe. Then, you see Mario doing his signature peace sign by getting the first star in the game. Then again, you see Mario doing the same, except underwater. And so, Mario loses a life, while playing a funny death animation. Those may be silly and small things for some, all of those things contributed to the game being what it is to me.

One of the most memorable of these moments is in the ending. I always felt that Mario, Peach and the Toads waving at you and later Mario saying "thank you so much for playing my game", especially to the sound of the beautiful credits music, was something really awesome and even heartwarming. Like if Mario himself came to thank you for joining him in his quest.

Many of the things that I said here DID happen in subsequent games such as Sunshine, Galaxy and 3D World. While I can admit that the part of the reason I love Mario 64 is because of childhood nostalgia, I also feel that Mario 64 has many special things in its gameplay, from the multiple arsenal of moves that Mario has, to the unique stages and missions.

And by the way, I do love Sunshine, Galaxy, Galaxy 2 and 3D World a lot, I see them as masterpieces as well. But Mario 64 is my favorite. To this day, I see Super Mario 64 as one of the greatest masterpieces in gaming, and to this day, few games came close to it. And this game was the one that introduced me to gaming, Nintendo in particular. Without it, I wouldn't be the Nintendo fan I am today.

Last edited:
Okay here it goes, why Star Fox 64/Lylat Wars is my favourite game of all time, I'm basically winging this.

POST TO FRONT PAGE (Everything below this line)

Let me start of by saying my first console was basically the Nintendo 64, being born in 1994 and stuff means I was in this generation. Many games captured my mind on this console and it's weird to learn that these days the console was rather drought-heavy but as a kid I didn't realise this really. Games like Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Super Smash Bros, Banjo Kazooie, Mischief Makers, etc held my attention for months and years on end. However, as much as I love those games and more I always hold one game above those and not just on the N64 but other consoles too. That game, is Star Fox 64 or as it was better known in PAL regions, Lylat Wars. Let me get into why this is my favourite game of all time now.

The first thing I can give this game credit for is the dialogue. You don't tend to do this when 'reviewing' a game, talking about dialogue first, but that's where this game strikes you almost immediately. The opening credits start off with R.O.B 64 saying "Incoming message from General Pepper, priority one". I remember hearing this for the first time and I immediately knew what this game would be like in terms of tone and stuff, but I'll get into that later. So I'm a kid and am thinking "Cool a robot, but something's afoot!" then Pepper comes in saying "We NEEEEED your help Star Fox! Andross has declared war! He's invaded the Lylat System and is trying to take over Corneria, hurry Star Fox!" (I've recited that from memory, as a testament to how memorable this game's dialogue is). So I'm all ready thinking how cool this game is going to be because it has a space war, talking animals, etc. I mean, how isn't that cool?
I love the dialogue between characters in this game too, from Falco insulting Slippy, Wolf and Fox's exchanges, etc it just brings life to this game and this was pretty much the first Ninty title to feature full voice acting (Ignoring those horrible CD-i games of course and things). To this day, me and my brother recite a lot, A LOT, of quotes from this games because of how memorable the characters are and what they say.

I think this is a good lead into talking about the characters in general. Falco Lombardi is my favourite video game character of all time. Why? Mainly because of this game. I just love his douchebag type character to be honest! In Sector Y if you don't get a high enough score at one point Falco says "Is that the best you can do?". That gives him a lot of character and makes him more memorable. Fox McCloud, the protagonist, is a cool character in himself. He's pretty generic in terms of being a hero and being all courageous but there's a likable factor in him when he says badass things such as "Sorry to jet, but I'm in a hurry!". Fox also has a nice plot point with his deceased father and how he wishes to follow his ways. Peppy is basically the wise-man of Team Star Fox, giving out tips and the such. Slippy being the lovable (or hate-able) dumbass who's always getting in trouble. I don't want to spend much longer on this topic but I will say Star Fox as a quartet are enjoyable characters who are all unique and likeable. You can't deny are cool Star Wolf are either obviously. Andross is a good main villain too, being a mad scientist who is a massive head. This scared me a bit as a kid, I would often get just before the boss fight with Andross and turn the game off thier in my youth because he scarred me. I was a bit of a frightful kid...

I think it's time to talk about the gameplay; and man what fun this game is to play. This game is defined as being an on-rails shoot 'em up and because of this the game allows for some nice set pieces and sections. There's also all-range mode sections or whole levels based in all-range mode where you are not on-rails and fly around on a map. This really helps add in variety to this game. Your main vehicle is the Arwing, the famous ship of the series and it feels great to fly; you can fly smoothly, tilt, barrel roll, charge your lazer, smart bomb your way through levels and it's very satisfying charge-shoting groups of enemies to get those score bonuses for example. 2 levels feature the Landmaster which is the tank vehicle. This offers a pretty fun alternative and is pretty fun in itself; you can do what the Arwing does pretty much but you are floors based of course so theirs emphasis on shooting upwards, hovering, avoiding floor hazards, etc. These levels are fun in my opinion and offer, again, more variety. One level, Aquas, features the Blue Marine. This level is my least favourite but there's still enjoyment from it. This levels demands you keep shooting torpedoes so you can light up the depths of the ocean.
Levels in general offer lot's of different ideas making each level memorable. I can pretty much remember what happens in each from memory which is testament to the impact this game had on me. It also helps that each level is fun, flying through Venom 1 and charge shoting enemies for big scores, hurrying to missles in Sector Z is always tense, trying to withstand the heat in Solar, it's all great. As I've said some levels offer alternate paths, in Sector X for example at one point you can either go left or right, going left and successfully shooting open all the warp pads will lead you to a special end section of the level and you will get warped to Sector Z on the hard path. These levels have many things happening so it's good to watch out for things. Also, if you helped Bill out in Katina he will help you out in those Sector X warp pads so it's cool to see what you do in other levels effect you in future ones and this happens several times too. To touch on bosses quickly, in this game bosses are well done I think and engaging. Some require strategy such as Zoness where you must do things in a certain order in order to damage the boss here and I like this because he makes you focused and immersed to be honest which is always good. Some bosses are easy but doesn't stop them from being fun which is what I like. So the bosses for the most part are very enjoyable and memorable.
You progress through the game in missions and depending on what or how you do you either go to one level or another. From Corneria, the first level, you can then go from there onto either Sector Y (Hard path) or Meteo (Easy path) from there you can either sway between different paths like the Normal difficulty path by doing better or worse in levels, finding alternate exits, warps, etc. This allows for exploration and replay value which is important in a game like this because to play through beginning to end is only a matter of hours. The most fun I get out of this game is trying to go though all the levels in multiple play-throughs and getting high scores. Getting high scores gives you 'Mission Accomplished' and perhaps a medal if you did well enough and you usually end up going towards the Hard path this way. Getting all the medals unlocks you things in multiplayer and an Expert mode which gives you more and harder enemies in the levels which is a very challenging mode to which I still have trouble with. I do wish this game had more to unlock but I have so much fun with this game I don't mind too much.

To touch on multiplayer, it's pretty bare-bones but still highly enjoyable. I have memories playing against my brother mainly and other siblings in this. You basically are in all-range mode at all times and have a selection of 3 maps. Getting those medals in single player unlocks the ability for you to use the landmaster and then being on-foot which are cool and interesting. There's also 3 different battle modes I believe but they aren't all too different. Multiplayer is fun enough and up to 4 player split-screen. SF:Assault on the Gamecube is still the series best Multiplayer component, or in my opinion anyway Still, there's fun to be had in SF64's multiplayer.

I think I'll wrap-up by talking about the music in which this games excels in. Probably not one of the best Scores in gaming but there's still great music. Tracks like Corneria are pretty forgettable (Though not for me because I've played this game looooads of times!) but the likes of Area 6, Star Wolf's theme, Boss theme, etc are real good and suit the situation as well as being kick-ass.The more forgettable themes also do their job well in representing the area they're in might I add. Oh and I love the end credits theme, I get goosebumps from it just thinking about it. And the main theme is great too of course.

I understand that Star Fox 64/Lylat Wars probably isn't technically the best game out there, it does have a lot of favourable reviews of course and a following, but because I grew up with it, the fact I like the game's and series' premise and the fact Star Fox 64/Lylat Wars is still great today, makes it my favourite game of all time. I even understand that the 3DS remake is technically a better game, but I have to give it to the N64 original because I grew up with that one and that version was a big part of my childhood.

Last edited:

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
FRONT PAGE

Back in 2000-2001, my brother, Chris (No relation to @Mr-Chris :mlaugh:), had a Dreamcast. Like many Dreamcast owners of the day, they just loved the games that were there for it, even if the console's lifespan was short-lived. Pity. But there was one game, one game in particular, that caught my eye from the very beginning when my brother popped in a demo disc (remember those back in the day?). It is not only what I consider the greatest RPG ever made, but also the Greatest Video Game *Jeremy Clarkson voice*...in the world:
Skies of Arcadia

*cue main theme*

I had the privilege of watching my brother play the demo for the first time and was immediately drawn to the ship battles. I mean, Ship to Ship battles? This was unheard of in my book considering some of the other RPGs I had seen my brothers play in the past were Lunar: Silver Star Story, Super Mario RPG, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy, etc. In my experience, there was no other game that not only had normal hand-to-hand battles, but also ship to ship battles. And the moment my brother bought a copy of the game for the Dreamcast, I watched him play it from beginning to end. This is where my adventure began back in the day. So essentially, my first experience with Skies of Arcadia wasn't actually playing it, but rather watching someone else play it. But the journey I experienced though wasn't anything short of astounding, and it was the reason I too wanted the opportunity to give this a shot. And it wasn't long after I first saw the credits roll for the first time that I got the chance to play it.

Part of the reason I was so engrossed with the game from the start was this ability to explore. This idea that you could play a video game and explore the landscape (or clouds in this case), discover floating islands, fight battles along the way (Ship battles!!!), and make discoveries (your compass would spin rapidly in these situations). There was just nothing else like it that I had ever experienced before, and the storyline was equally engaging. This story of a young girl lost in the clouds, getting rescued by Vyse and his friends and then they begin to tackle this long journey of finding the Moonstones, while usual mayhem ensues; Baddies trying to take over the world, although very memorable ones. I won't bore you with the details of the story though, as this is not an account of what happens in the story, but rather my experience playing it.

*cue more music*

"I'm going on an adventure!"

Like I said, the locations you explored, the dungeons you visited, the ship battles you fought, the bosses you defeated, the discoveries you made, the story you were a part of, and of course the music you heard: pure brilliance! Speaking of the soundtrack, I am quite a big fan of it, although I am not just a fan of the music. I AM IN LOVE with the soundtrack of Skies of Arcadia. It is still to this day, one of my all-time favorite soundtracks in a video game, and another reason why this game takes the stand for my greatest game of all time. You see, a video game needs more than simply great gameplay, and a good story. The soundtrack is also another key ingredient to bring that whole package together, and one area that I think is overlooked much of the time. A great soundtrack can even turn a half-decent game into something great due to a great soundtrack alone. And Skies of Arcadia certainly fills the void.

*cue epic music*

Ship's Ahoy!

So, Ship battles. Yes, one of the best parts of the game, and there was definitely no shortage of them; another huge plus in my book. There was always a big ship battle when there should've been, and I loved the strategy involved with choosing what to do. The 3x3 grid (4x4 when you had four memebers in your party) you had to select your attacks and other moves were quite clever, and it allowed you to see what was coming up, so you could plan your attacks accordingly. I didn't always make the right choices (I can now. Boo-yah!), but that's all part of the fun. The bosses in the air you fought especially were just simply awesome, and their attack patterns as well. But then we get to your ships' special attack, which is soooo satisfying to use every time you use it. Simply put, I've yet to come across another game with such awesome and fun-fulfilling battles as this.

The Right Stuff

Skies of Arcadia also did some other subtle, yet engaging things when it came to gameplay, such as the swashbuckler rankings, the use of the moon colors for your weapons and magic, the Spirit Point meter during battle, the special attack moves, etc. There are just so many little sutblties in this game that just make it so incredibly engaging, and adds a lot to the overall package.

Enhance...Enhance...Enhance

At this point, I've only been talking about the Dreamcast version, which I played three times beginning to end. Certainly something that I don't do very often with a lot of games, but when I heard that a Gamecube version of the game was in development, I was giddy with excitement. Even more than that, I had heard they were adding new discoveries, more boss battles (Ship battles included. Hell yes!), the Bounty system, and of course the Angel of Death side quest. Simply put, whatever could be improved with the game was improved, with the exception of the music, which quality was lessened in order to fit the game onto one disc. Random encounters were reduced, load times were faster, and like I said, more features were packed into the game. Overall, Skies of Arcadia Legends was the definitive version of the game, and after two full run-throughs of that version, it's still my favorite game of all time. It's just too bad my other older brother lost my copy, so I am left with nothing, except the soundtrack to keep me occupied. *sigh*

*cue Blue Rogues*

Final Words

If there's one thing, and I mean...one thing, that I want more than anything at this point is a HD remake of Skies. I want Sega to give the game the HD treatment, take all the music quality of the DC version, but the content of the GCN version, and slot it into the HD Definitive Edition. Also, next time make sure the sound effects are synced up with what's going on screen with the special attacks please. Don't just speed it up, without messing with the sound too. Out of sync with what's going on screen is not cool, man. So, yeah, that's what I want right now, and it damn well better happen in the near future!

In the end, I think I've made my point on why I love Skies of Arcadia so much. And there's just so much about the game that I could go more in-depth about, but it would require a lot more text than I already have done. I'll just leave you on this simple note: Skies of Arcadia is a one-of-a-kind experience that not a lot of people even know about, let alone played it. I simply had the privilege to try it out and it quickly became a favorite of mine. Over a decade on, Skies of Arcadia is still my #1 Greatest Video Game of all time.

/END

So yeah, this is it for me. I did some proofreading on it, but if there's some more errors, change what is necessary.

EDIT: Ha! Didn't realize I said Enchance, vs. Enhance. It's the little details.

Last edited:

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
this is tricky... my favorite of all time is super metroid.. but I imagine mike d could better represent that.... I'd like to talk up a lesser known game like shadow hearts: covenant which is one of my favorite games but it isn't a nintendo game... and it isn't my favorite of all time (it IS up there though)

I feel like by the time I write up something good about super metroid somebody else will have written up soemthing better as well....

I could write up something epic about shadow hearts: covenant though... what do you guys think?

Well, I guess I'll share mine and not keep you all in suspense anymore:

As with anyone who have been asked this question, I had to think a lot over it. When I narrowed my choices down, I had to really nitpick them all to the point where it became insane. In the end, my favorite game had to be the complete package: great gameplay, a gripping tale, smart design and mechanics, and most importantly, an experience unlike any other, video game or otherwise. In the end, my choice goes to The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

I have such a strong love for this game that I can talk about it for hours, so it's hard for me to say why I love it so much without writing an essay of itself. What it basically comes down to though is how the game grew on me and continues to grow on me as I become older. When I first played it as a kid, I wasn't impressed. I liked it, but it felt like a massive step down from Ocarina of Time. As I grew up and became a bit more wise, I learnt to appreciate the aspects of the game such as the story, characters and subtle symbolism.

One of the most interesting mechanics of the game is the Three Day Cycle. Since the gamer is forced to re-live the same three days over and over again, this allows the NPC's to be some of the most fleshed out characters I ever encountered. Each one has a schedule and will be in different locations depending on the time of day. Their dialogue changes from day to day, or if a certain side-quest is done, and some characters who seem unimportant at first may have a lot of hidden depth just waiting to be discovered. One example off the top of my head is the Inn keeper Anju, who has the longest side-quest of the game which involves locating her missing fiance.

This level of depth in the characters also carries over to the main story. Each main area of the game contains a certain "poison" to the land, and this is paralleled into the main character(s) of said area. The Great Bay contains an underwater cove where the Zoras lay their eggs, however the surrounding ocean is unusually murky, making it impossible to access. On top of this, some local Pirates stole a few eggs for themselves. This sadness and dread carries over to the Zoras themselves, as the lead singer of the band lost her voice, and the main music writer loses his passion to create anything new. It's depth like this that elevates the game into a league of it's own for me.

Of course, the game itself is classic Zelda. Link will acquire an armies' worth of tools and weapons over the adventure, fighting monsters and collecting ruppees. Since Majora's Mask doesn't revolve around Zelda and Ganon, it's free to tell it's own tale without fear of tying into the Triforce and other tropes. For starters, it does away with the formula of "find three things, something bad happens, find seven things, win". The story this time around focuses on Skull Kid, a stolen Mask, and the impending doom of a moon crashing towards the land of Termina. The only way to save the land is to free the four giants of the world to prevent the crashing moon. Skull Kid happens to be my favorite villian of all time, but I won't spoil why. Another favorite character of mine is Tatl, the side-kick of Link. Unlike the annoying Navi or Fi, Tatl feels like a real character, who developers over time and grows as a character. Of course, telling me the monster's weak point is not too shabby either.

Usually, Zelda games have one feature unique to that game, and Majora's Mask revolves around..well masks. A whole sub-screen is dedicated to collecting 34 masks. 3 of which transform Link into a Deku Scrub, Goron and Zora; one is a special reward I won't spoil, and the rest are fun, yet optional, ways to enhance the experience. Want to run faster? Equip the adorable Bunny Hood. Want to become invisible to most enemies? Stone Mask is your best friend. Want to blow up a wall but don't have any bombs? Well strap that Bomb Mask on and watch the sparks fly. Changing into another creature like a Deku or Goron changes how the game is played. Each race contains there own play style and move sets. Gorons can roll really fast, while Zoras can swim with speed and control. It's very fun seeing how each version of Link can handle the same situation, and it's a creative freedom unlike anything else I experienced in a game.

Other optional bonuses revolve around the Great Fairies. Each dungeon in the game is great on their own right, but each one includes 15 hidden fairies, and upon collecting them all will grant powers like an extended magic meter among others. Speaking of dungeons, their very well designed and don't generally fall into the typical "forest, fire, water, fire, air" pattern as others. Sure, there is a water dungeon, but it focuses on re-routing water and using ice to move see-saws creating something truly special. The fairies can be collected on the first time through, but it's also fun re-playing the dungeon with the item from it from the start to plow through it again.

I love the amount of side objectives to do here. When I play an adventure game, sometimes I'm in the mood to advance the story, and sometimes I just want to explore, and this game always allows me to choose what I want to do. I could save this giant, or I could ride Epona to the other end of the map and fight aliens (true story). I could rescue the Zora eggs, or I can clear this old house of Skulltulas and let an old man move in. I know a lot of games do this, but Majora's Mask (outside of it's opening tutorial) never locks me into doing something I may not be in the mood for.

As I stated before, there is just too much about Majora's Mask I want to talk about. It's such a finely crafted game that I own two copies for the N64 (long story) and if the rumoured 3DS remake happens, you bet your ass I'm gonna buy that one too. It's rare for a game to stand the test of time, even rarer for a game to get better as I grow older, but Majora's Mask does just that.

I'll add some pictures and shit later.

Last edited:
Also at Mighty. The reasons why you love Super Metroid may be different than Eviltwin's.

If you want, you can discuss with him what he's gonna write (if he is at all). In the end its up to you.

Also, it doesn't have to be a Nintendo game. Major picked Counter Strike, so pick anything regardless of publisher.

Cyan

Hmmm, my favorite game. I wonder... I'd say Phantasy Star Online, but was it really the game I liked, or the environment that the other players made? Maybe FFVI, Hmm. I need to think about this, when is the deadline?

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I've always loved The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. It's my favorite Zelda and my favorite game of all time. It was the second Zelda game I beat, right after The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and, at that time, no pun intended, I was just wondering how The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask could possibly top The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I'll be honest, at first, I didn't like it. I hated how you ended up becoming a Deku Shrub and the 3-Day Mechanic and, honestly, I had no idea where you were supposed to go. I tried to get into it but I just hated it. A couple of years later, I picked it up and started over from the beginning and it was then that I began to like it. I ended up getting a good idea of where to go first and I found the process of getting to the first dungeon unique and memorable and something I feel hasn't been done since. It still wasn't even close to my favorite game of all time but, at that point, I could definitely say that I liked it. After I completed the first dungeon and, hilariously, delivered the Deku Princess in a bottle to the Deku King, I then began to do side-quests and that's when the game began to shine. I did as much as I could, with my first being the one to return the stolen bag to the owner of the Bomb Shop to the get the Blast Mask and my favorite side quest being the Couple's Quest, despite being incredibly frustrating, to get the Couple's Mask. From there on, I began to alternate between dungeons and side-quests and I rarely ever got bored, which is something I can't say about most side-quests in video games. For me, the side-quests were another half of the game and truly added a lot to the game, especially since most of them gave you a mask as compensation. Eventually, I got arguably the greatest power-up in any Zelda game ever: the Fierce Deity Mask. Putting the mask on just makes you feel like a complete badass and beating bosses with the mask just feels so satisfying. However, the main reason for why The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is my favorite game of all time is because of the unique 3-Day System, the NPC's and their schedules, the atmosphere, and the OST. The unique 3-Day system allows us to see the progression of fear, denial, anxiety, etc. as the residents of Termina begin to realize that their end is near and the NPC's and their schedules allow us to have unique and progressive side-quests, which are quite different from any other in a Zelda game. The atmosphere and OST ranges anywhere from gloomy to heart-warming to hopeful to eerie to mystical, well, you get my picture, providing us with a feel that no Zelda game has replicated since or ever, aside The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. I know it's not a game that everyone likes or even tolerates but, for me, all of it's uniqueness is what makes it my favorite game of all time and has made me the gamer I am today

...oh and the OST, I mean, just listen to this!

Last edited:

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
I've always loved The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. It's my favorite Zelda and my favorite game of all time. It was the second Zelda game I beat, right after The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and, at that time, no pun intended, I was just wondering how The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask could possibly top The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I'll be honest, at first, I didn't like it. I hated how you ended up becoming a Deku Shrub and the 3-Day Mechanic and, honestly, I had no idea where you were supposed to go. I tried to get into it but I just hated it. A couple of years later, I picked it up and started over from the beginning and it was then that I began to like it. I ended up getting a good idea of where to go first and I found the process of getting to the first dungeon unique and memorable and something I feel hasn't been done since. It still wasn't even close to my favorite game of all time but, at that point, I could definitely say that I liked it. After I completed the first dungeon and, hilariously, delivered the Deku Princess in a bottle to the Deku King, I then began to do side-quests and that's when the game began to shine. I did as much as I could, with my first being the one to return the stolen bag to the owner of the Bomb Shop to the get the Blast Mask and my favorite side quest being the one the Couple's Quest, despite being incredibly frustrating, to get the Couple's Mask. From there on, I began to alternate between dungeons and side-quests and I rarely ever got bored, which is something I can't say about most side-quests in video games. For me, the side-quests were another half of the game and truly added a lot to the game, especially since most of them gave you a mask as compensation. Eventually, I got arguably the greatest power-up in any Zelda game ever: the Fierce Deity Mask. Putting the mask on just makes you feel like a complete badass and beating bosses with the mask just feels so satisfying. However, the main reason for why The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is my favorite game of all time is because of the unique 3-Day System, the NPC's and their schedules, the atmosphere, and the OST. The unique 3-Day system allows us to see the progression of fear, denial, anxiety, etc. as the residents of Termina begin to realize that their end is near and the NPC's and their schedules allow us to have unique and progressive side-quests, which are quite different from any other in a Zelda game. The atmosphere and OST ranges anywhere from gloomy to heart-warming to hopeful to eerie to mystical, well, you get my picture, providing us with a feel that no Zelda game has replicated since or ever, aside The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. I know it's not a game that everyone likes or even tolerates but, for me, all of it's uniqueness is what makes it my favorite game of all time and has made me the gamer I am today