What's your favorite game of all time?

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Such a tough question to answer. But I'm going with this one:

This title simply MASTERS everything there is to pacing, game play, sound track and story telling. An absolute phenom. I finished my play through about six months ago, and I'm STILL looking back on it like, "damn, that was a great game". It pushed ATLUS into my favorite group of developers, and pushed Persona 5 into my list of most anticipated games.

WHAT'S YOU'RE FAVORITE GAME THEN?

Ex-Actarus

NOT EVEN CLOSE...

Where can I even start ?

Euh the menu screen.. Have we EVER seen something like this before and since ?

Those incredible controls that allowed you to perform so many different jumps.

Those secrets...

Those epic fights against Bowser

That feeling of getting the Star

And you can... Sleep !!!

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
GTA.... I'll just go with the series as a whole.... Every GTA game that has ever been released has been my favorite game of that time.... Currently I'm waiting to get my hands on GTAV for PC....

But when I do, you can be rest assured that it will be my new favorite game of all time....

In fact any game by R* is on that list as well....

So I'll just say my favorite games of all time are always published by....

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Man, can't believe I haven't play that game yet. Did you play it on DC or GC ?
Both actually. Started out on DC, playing through it three times, and then twice on the GCN. I have since then lost my GCN copy, so I'm hoping for a re-release or something, or hell a remastering of the game down the road. Still so fucking pissed I don't have my GCN copy anymore. Thanks a lot, brother!

Ex-Actarus

Both actually. Started out on DC, playing through it three times, and then twice on the GCN. I have since then lost my GCN copy, so I'm hoping for a re-release or something, or hell a remastering of the game down the road. Still so fucking pissed I don't have my GCN copy anymore. Thanks a lot, brother!
The game is so expensive on Ebay. I need to play it, I heard so many good things on it.

Shoulder

The game is so expensive on Ebay. I need to play it, I heard so many good things on it.

It was one of my first JRPG experiences, and as you can see, still my favorite. Xenoblade is only #2 on my GOAT, so it came very close to topping it. And yes, Skies of a rare item to find, DC or GCN. Legends is overall the better version, but DC had better quality music. Basically because on DC it was two discs, and GCN only one disc, the developers had to compress the music despite the larger storage of one GCN disc, so quality was less.

So if you were to ever purchase the OST of Skies, you'll hear the DC version of the music. GCN had some slight changes.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I'll let you finish, but the greatest game of all time is...

...umm...

Monopoly? But only when you're banker and can cheat.

Super Metroid is the obvious answer (and if it's not your answer, you're wrong), but this is the multi-plat forum. So I'm stuck.

I want to say GTA 3. But that might be nostalgia goggles. I know I spent more time aimlessly driving around Liberty City and riling up cops than anything else in the PS2 gen. I might replay it now, though, and be burnt out on the template (I played a lot of sandbox games back then).

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
@Majorbuddah That game and Muramasa are the main (but not only!) reasons a Vita is my next game console purchase. I already have my copies of P4G and Muramasa Rebirth waiting in my bedside table drawer.

As to the main question, favourite of all time is so hard to answer. I feel like my formative experiences with PC's, arcades and consoles were all such separate spheres of activity, and I value each. Beyond that, in each sphere or genre, do I prioritize first love? Refinement? Lasting engagement or appeal? Drawing me back into gaming after one of my various hiatuses?

In many ways the best answer for me might be Starcraft. I'm a big fan of strategy gaming and Blizzard's golden age contributions to the genre in particular. For years Starcraft was quite literally synonymous with gaming for me. It was all I played, I watched a ton of Starcraft e-sports matches from Korea, joined web forums, played multiplayer enthusiastically online and in LAN sessions and simply became absorbed by the depth of strategy involved. As Broodwar wound down, I followed the development of Starcraft 2 with unparalleled dedication and anticipation (I am quite sure I will never be so obsessed with the development of a game ever again as I was by this), and immediately poured, I am convinced, close to a thousand hours or more into it in its first year of launch (certainly more when all activities related to it are factored in).

The game was and is a phenomenal achievement - three completely balanced factions that were utterly distinct in play style and strategy - and several of its central and iconic tactical features that contributed to that balance were in fact originally game bugs! (ie muta stacking) Blizzard really captured lightning in a bottle with this. I still believe it is the greatest RTS game ever made.

Last edited:

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
@Majorbuddah That game and Muramasa are the main (but not only!) reasons a Vita is my next game console purchase. I already have my copies of P4G and Muramasa Rebirth waiting in my bedside table drawer.

As to the main question, favourite of all time is so hard to answer. I feel like my formative experiences with PC's, arcades and consoles were all such separate spheres of activity, and I value each. Beyond that, in each sphere or genre, do I prioritize first love? Refinement? Lasting engagement or appeal? Drawing me back into gaming after one of my various hiatuses?

In many ways the best answer for me might be Starcraft. I'm a big fan of strategy gaming and Blizzard's golden age contributions to the genre in particular. For years Starcraft was quite literally synonymous with gaming for me. It was all I played, I watched a ton of Starcraft e-sports matches from Korea, joined web forums, played multiplayer enthusiastically online and in LAN sessions and simply became absorbed by the depth of strategy involved. As Broodwar wound down, I followed the development of Starcraft 2 with unparalleled dedication and anticipation (I am quite sure I will never be so obsessed with the development of a game ever again as I was by this), and immediately poured, I am convinced, close to a thousand hours or more into it in its first year of launch (certainly more when all activities related to it are factored in).

The game was and is a phenomenal achievement - three completely balanced factions that were utterly distinct in play style and strategy - and several of its central and iconic tactical features that contributed to that balance were in fact originally game bugs! (ie muta stacking) Blizzard really captured lightning in a bottle with this. I still believe it is the greatest RTS game ever made.

i cannot overstate how much i fucking LOVED broodwar. great choice.

the question has come up on this forum before; if you could only play one game for the rest of you life, what would it be? i said SC2.

Ex-Actarus

Me too.

Well, I think my favorite game of all time is Zelda OOT.
No originality whatsoever... Just the arguably best game of all time ! You could have chosen something less acclaimed...

Just kidding :), definitely in my top 3 ! I still remember walking for hours in France to find a store who had the game. it was sold out EVERYWHERE !!! I finally found a small videogame store who had it. i was sooooo happy !

And man ! Probably the only game that surpassed the hype I had for it when I was playing it.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
i cannot overstate how much i fucking LOVED broodwar. great choice.

the question has come up on this forum before; if you could only play one game for the rest of you life, what would it be? i said SC2.
I'd have to give the same answer. If we're talking about the SC2 client overall, it's almost cheating as an answer since the galaxy editor and in-client arcade means it really isn't one game (it's the proverbial "with my one wish, I wish for more wishes!"). There's a potentially limitless number of games that can be built in addition to the existing ones already there (some of which are pretty damn good). Not to mention the core game itself is a deep and varied multiplayer experience with a (soon to be)trilogy of distinct single player campaigns (and challenges, and AI etc.).

Super Mario Brothers 3, this game raised the bar for so many games that followed.

Every Mario after this one borrows so much from this game, and the moments are memorable, omg I'm a raccoon, a Tonoki, I can fly, I'm a frog , you could get in a wind up boot for crying out load. It took everything great about Mario games and amped it up a million, Mario 64 would be the only one to rival it in the series IMO

Odo

No originality whatsoever... Just the arguably best game of all time ! You could have chosen something less acclaimed...

Just kidding :), definitely in my top 3 ! I still remember walking for hours in France to find a store who had the game. it was sold out EVERYWHERE !!! I finally found a small videogame store who had it. i was sooooo happy !

And man ! Probably the only game that surpassed the hype I had for it when I was playing it.

Sometimes I think that Super Mario Galaxy is the best. I fell that it might has beaten Zelda OOT. But I don't know.

Mario Galaxy is just perfect, it's a stunning game, easy to play but challenging, that planet stuff is spectacular, the bosses are great and it's the only platformer of its kind. There was nothing like Mario Galaxy before and there's nothing after.

I still feel that Mario Galaxy is one of the most beautiful games even without HD graphics.

However, Zelda OOT is also the first game of its kind in my opinion and every Zelda after it is like almost the same. Also it has so many great stuff, I can't imagine how they could put so many great things on that world. Everything is so polished and creative.

Plus, there are cows living in weird wholes. This game is mind-blowing!

Shoulder

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Deal with it haters :mcool:
I can see it now actually. Zelda Wii U comes out, some people think it's not as good as it could've been, then they hail Skyward Sword as the best 3D Zelda. The cycle continues. :mmischief:

I loved the art style, the swordplay, the soundtrack, and bosses, the dungeons, etc. I did not particularly liked the upgradable weapons as it felt more cumbersome in some ways (especially after playing Monster Hunter), and the handholding was a bit too much. Overall though, I thoroughly enjoyed Skyward Sword.

I smell a video in my future about this very thing...

ASuch

The Salt Master
I can see it now actually. Zelda Wii U comes out, some people think it's not as good as it could've been, then they hail Skyward Sword as the best 3D Zelda. The cycle continues. :mmischief:

I loved the art style, the swordplay, the soundtrack, and bosses, the dungeons, etc. I did not particularly liked the upgradable weapons as it felt more cumbersome in some ways (especially after playing Monster Hunter), and the handholding was a bit too much. Overall though, I thoroughly enjoyed Skyward Sword.

I smell a video in my future about this very thing...
The cycle won't continue for this man right here, typing this post.

hogge

Ocarina of Time.
Probably the least original answer in the unigalaxy...realm. But this game was such a leap ahead of anything else available at the time. The open world, the atmosphere, the visual style, the replayability, the controls... just purely brilliant.
Nintendo have since failed to recreate what OoT represented for its time. Zelda U seems to at least on paper be able to do the trick.