Who's Getting Mario Kart 8? [Official Thread]

Who's Getting Mario Kart 8?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
If I were getting a retail copy, I would have preordered it, but since I am downloading it, have to wait till day of. I'm sure I'm not the only one going for the download option.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
Finally pre-ordered/reserved the game today! Ended up going with Target since they're going to be giving away those free Wii Wheels with MK8 (and when you combine that with the $5 gift card and a MK8 keychain you also get it's one of the better deals around).

Unless I end up spending the whole day playing local multi, get ready to be beaten on launch day ;)

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-mario-kart-8

So, basically, the game is very polished and it looks great but it's not Nintendo polished. Well that dampens my excitement by a small amount but I'm still excited
What's interesting about that "Nintendo polish" is I wonder if people even remembr during the days of N64 when games like OoT, MM, Star Fox, Smash Bros all had technical hiccups here and there. It just so happens I believe that when the GCN era came around and the tech was there, it allowed Nintendo to be more consistent with the performance of their games. They probably got to the point where the actual overall performance of the game was more important than simply the graphics themselves.

Now based on that with Mario Kart 8, the vast majority of people won't notice any hiccups unless you're realy looking for them. I might because I tend to notice these things, but at the same time, if we are enjoying outselves as much as we hope to achieve, then the technical hiccups won't matter. Nintendo would've designed the game to make enjoyment their first priority.

What's also interesting is that 4-player mode is actually artificially 30FPS rather than natively. They halved each portion of the screen so it only looks 30FPS at first glance, but all the game’s core mechanics still run at 60Hz. What results from this is a bit of input lag, but Digital Foundry reassures that it is still “brilliant fun”.

sjmartin79

Trying to decide if I'm going to stay up late on Thursday night to start the download before bed (assuming you can start downloading after midnight) or if I should just get up early for work on Friday and start it then... Decisions, decisions, decisions.

ZyroXZ2

Trying to decide if I'm going to stay up late on Thursday night to start the download before bed (assuming you can start downloading after midnight) or if I should just get up early for work on Friday and start it then... Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Start it the night before so it downloads while you sleep, that way you'll wake up, and end up deciding between going to work or playing your freshly downloaded Mario Kart 8 :D

mantisLJD

The Human Metroid
I went to the Sears in the closet mall in my area today, but they were not one of the stores selling MK8 early. I then went to Target to pre-order it so that i would be guaranteed a copy. Unfortunately, they had already destroyed all the pre-order cards because the game comes out in two days. The only thing i can do now is call the morning of Friday and ask them to reserve a copy for me. I left the store with the knowledge that the free Mario Kart 8 Racing Wheel offer will not end with the release of the game.

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I thought today was Thursday. I was excited about getting the game through eshop tonight.

You know what feature I would love that no one talks about? It' showing your face during gameplay with the gamepad's camera. Star Fox on 3DS does it, and it's hilarious.
Hey I've talked about this. I don't know if here on the forums, but definitely while playing MH with Matt. :mthumb:

terribledeli

isn't using that sucky pickaxe
As mentioned previously, I've been trying to play the demo somewhere. I don't generally shop at my local Gamestop stores (I'm not opposed to Gamestop as a chain, just the piss poor service at my three local stores), so that only left my local Target.

I've gone every couple of days (With the exception of the Day the Dump Truck Came) to no avail.

I stopped by this morning to see if the remaining Photos with Mario cards were shelved and to check for the demo again. Alas, nothing. However, as I was leaving, I saw one in the wild. Yes, my friends, an honest-to-goodness Nintendo merchandising rep. I decided against sneaking back around to electronics and waiting for her to set it up. I had planned to return on Friday to pick up the remaining two Photos with Mario cards and play the demo one hour prior to Best Buy opening, where my copy will be waiting at the In-store Pick up area.

Fate had other plans. I had to go back to Target and lo and behold, my friendly merchandising rep had done her job and the entire Wii U display was now themed for Mario Kart 8, including the elusive (for my area) demo. My wife grabs the two remaining Photos with Mario cards and proceeds to check out while I finally get to enjoy the demo.

It was Glorious

sjmartin79

In 14 hours, I'm going to attempt to set the download to go.
If tomorrow weren't the last day of the business month (which means I have a ton of financial work to do), I would take tomorrow off and binge on MK8 all day. Damn grown up responsibilities.

sjmartin79

So, GameStop says that if you use a download code from them for MK8, that you can download tomorrow at 9am CST. Does anyone know if this is true for all downloads (even buying directly on eShop with no codes)?

terribledeli

isn't using that sucky pickaxe
So, GameStop says that if you use a download code from them for MK8, that you can download tomorrow at 9am CST. Does anyone know if this is true for all downloads (even buying directly on eShop with no codes)?
Major releases are typically available on the eShop at midnight (EST I think?) if purchased directly from the eShop.

I've only ever purchased one download code from Gamestop and it allowed me to download the game before it was available from the eShop directly. Mind you, by the time the store opened and I got home, it was only about 30 minutes early.

Last week's preorder numbers for MK8 are in: http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders/41784/USA/

They jumped 50,000 which is around the same jump it made the week before.

Super Mario 3D World's first week sales were 267K according to vgchartz and that was during the holidays. NWMBU's was 306K and that was during the holidays as well. MK8 is looking to do more than those numbers and it's the middle of the year. I guess Nintendo's advertising push cancels out the need for it to be the holidays.

Last edited:
In 14 hours, I'm going to attempt to set the download to go.
If tomorrow weren't the last day of the business month (which means I have a ton of financial work to do), I would take tomorrow off and binge on MK8 all day. Damn grown up responsibilities.
Take the day off anyways.

What's the worst that can happen :)

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
The eshop says it releases at midnight, but I forgot to check who's midnight that was. Could be PT.

people on twitter are warning retail buyers not to register the code for MK8 early (especially if you have a street date broken one), wait til at least after 9am EST or else you might miss out on getting the free game with it.

Dont know if the same can be said of online versions, I wouldnt think so.

running_in_jam

Videogame Sound Designer and Composer
Jam, join us for the party! There's one spot left since two people are undecided.
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/forums/threads/mario-kart-8-launch-party-with-tne-tv.2009
I would love to! It's kind of tricky with time zones though. I rarely stay up past midnight (6pm EST) these days and never past 1:00am. So unfortunately I can't be around for the whole thing, but over the weekend I'll hopefully be able to catch some of you in some earlier races! Probably mostly with the GMT crowd :p

Jam! Why the....plain...face? D:
Major MK blue balls.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I would love to! It's kind of tricky with time zones though. I rarely stay up past midnight (6pm EST) these days and never past 1:00am. So unfortunately I can't be around for the whole thing, but over the weekend I'll hopefully be able to catch some of you in some earlier races! Probably mostly with the GMT crowd :p
We'll definitely be playing it over most of the weekend, and probably throughout the week as well, lol.

Oh Jam time zones are a bitch that;s why we GMT bro's must stick together. I feel like the only one sometimes, post more! lol. And I suppose the super horn will be your new best friend. I also wonder if you can still dodge a blue shell with a dash mushroom....hmm....