Who's Getting Mario Kart 8? [Official Thread]

Who's Getting Mario Kart 8?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's one thing being tight-lipped about online features, but fuck sakes Ninty has been showing off every course and items like it's going out of style. Yet that one teeny tiny feature that's been industry standard, since like, 2004, OH NO CAN'T SAY IF WE DO OR NOT.

I don't buy it. Again, I know it's speculation, but seriously, how hard is it to say "Voice chat a go"? A lot easier than showing off all these videos showing off everything.

It's one thing being tight-lipped about online features, but fuck sakes Ninty has been showing off every course and items like it's going out of style. Yet that one teeny tiny feature that's been industry standard, since like, 2004, OH NO CAN'T SAY IF WE DO OR NOT.

I don't buy it. Again, I know it's speculation, but seriously, how hard is it to say "Voice chat a go"? A lot easier than showing off all these videos showing off everything.
Probably the same reason why Sony made a big deal about not having a feature that has always never been there at their E3 press conference: Because they can

Doesn't make it any less stupid though, I agree.

BobSilencieux

IN MY OPINION

From Super Mario Kart right up to Mario Kart Wii [haven't played MK7] the series has gotten worse and worse with every iteration, with the exception of Mario Kart DS, which was awesome. But i still pre-ordered MK8 because it looks PHENOMENAL. I do hope it turns out as good as it looks...

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
IN MY OPINION

From Super Mario Kart right up to Mario Kart Wii [haven't played MK7] the series has gotten worse and worse with every iteration, with the exception of Mario Kart DS, which was awesome. But i still pre-ordered MK8 because it looks PHENOMENAL. I do hope it turns out as good as it looks...
I think the same. I hear MK7 really was amazing, though, which is part of what makes MK8 look phenomenal. It better not lack voice chat.

The way I see it, from what I've played:

MK7 > MK64> MK Double Dash > MKWii

All games were great though and I have a feeling MK8 is going to overtake MK64. Never had that feeling with any other game.

Last edited:

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Guys. I have a question, why do you want voice chat anyway? Isnt it easier to record your conversations with skype?

And what will it pull out of the game performance? Perhaps they should just expand WiiU Chat's functionality

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
We done went over this Laer. If they won't implement something as simple as voice chat then they damn well won't work on the WiiUchat making it bigger. It involves video and voice.

They won't even voice chat come on man.

running_in_jam

Videogame Sound Designer and Composer
Very excited for this. It's obviously going to be a brilliant game but also it's a great competitive game to play with the misses (we are totally going to play strip mario kart).

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Besides simplicity for voice chat, yeah I got a huge one.

It's like having local mode in your own home. It's having your buddies online for a chat, not just smack talk. Nintendo is always talking on bringing us together, well what if were already together? Then we just need a simple option to chat.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Dude, Skype isn't a solution for everyone. For a lot of people it means having to drag and plug in a laptop next to the couch where you game, or likewise plugging the headset into a smartphone with skype, or some other measure of wizardry. The problem gets compounded when you have people who don't use skype, either out of preference or out of fear of running past their monthly download quota, if they are under such ISPs.

Another solution I've heard people use back in the Wii days, was to also turn on their Xbox so they could chat with their friends in Monster Hunter Tri. So yeah, maybe I'll fire up Ventrilo to play Mario Kart with my friends.

Or Nintendo could just stop being cunts about it.

the_randomizer

Super Mario Kart was the first one I ever owned back in 1994, then Mario Kart 64, both of which remind me of the fun I had playing those with friends. From there, I haven't owned really any, okay, Mario Kart 7 and Double Dash I've played. MK Wii is an excellent game, but this one, holy crap, MK 8 just looks freakin amazing!

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Again, in Nintendo's defense, you wouldn't want any of your kids talking to me, either.

But yeah, no voice chat, no buy, no exceptions. I might not even buy if they tried patching it in later.
(Try launching games complete. Who do they think they are, Call of Duty?)

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Damn as bad as I wanna take it that far ET with the no buy.......I bought WiiSports online. In my mind tho I bought it for me and the boys. That's what I tell myself. Ill use the same excuse for MK8 sadly if it's dosent have voice chat.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
I can totally understand someone not buying this game because of no voice chat. It's bullshit in 2014 for an online multiplayer-oriented game not to have voice chat.

That said, I would buy this game even if didn't have online. Most of my multiplayer will be local anyways.

Also, all those kids Nintendo is protecting, will also probably turn on the XBOne to spout racist obscenities at one another, so it's not like Nintendo is saving anyone.
It's really not about protecting the kids, but themselves.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Also, all those kids Nintendo is protecting, will also probably turn on the XBOne to spout racist obscenities at one another, so it's not like Nintendo is saving anyone.
This logic still doesnt compute in my head for several reasons.
There are 6 first party games on the DS with voice chat, there are 3 on the 3DS from my knowledge( besides the fact there is a systemwide app for it in Japan), WiiU Chat is built right into the system and that has video, ect ect.

But im tired of people throwing hissyfits online about Nintendo still having an embargo on the online features of the game right now.
People are literally blowing their load because the product description doesnt say it has voice chat, and are running with that.

I bet they're still just salty about Nintendo closing down swapnote after it was used to facilitate the rape of some teenagers .

Like come the fuck on.

@mattavelle1

Last edited:

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

I can totally understand someone not buying this game because of no voice chat. It's bullshit in 2014 for an online multiplayer-oriented game not to have voice chat.

That said, I would buy this game even if didn't have online. Most of my multiplayer will be local anyways.

It's really not about protecting the kids, but themselves.
They really should just add in cross game chat rather than having people do this kind of shit with EVERY game. Im already tired of it.
Same reason people didnt lose their fucking minds when Killzone Shadowfall didnt have voice chat, or Knack doesnt have online, or the game that looks like Gears of War has no co-op. (That and people are just bloody hypocrites)

Honestly though, people really should be using this if they have concerns https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/webform/

@Majorbuddah
@mattavelle1

Last edited:

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Cross game chat isn't going to happen, especially since Nintendo's online is free. The only online services to offer cross game chat require you to pay to play online. Sorry but what they should do is have online voice chat in all of their online games. No exceptions

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Cross game chat isn't going to happen, especially since Nintendo's online is free. The only online services to offer cross game chat require you to pay to play online. Sorry but what they should do is have online voice chat in all of their online games. No exceptions
There's nothing that requires needing to pay for cross game chat
We've had that for ages without needing to pay for it for the last decade

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Ok Laer let's bang this out instead if getting petty.

I'm not salty about swapnote cause I never used it. There not doing nothing with the WiiUChat cause if there not giving very basic voice chat you can damn well bet there not letting us flip off kids thru video on MK8.

Nobody is blowing there load yet, it hasent be confirmed tho, ands this is all speculation (thank goodness) because there is still time for voice chat to make it in.

Now the reason we want it is because many of us are friends and play online together and love to talk with one another. MK and Smash are huge online games for N and should have voice chat. Simple as that, no crybaby no nothing this is plain and simple as this.

Now you may not understand some of this cause you haven't voicechatted with us in CoD or MH and that's fine you don't have to get it. Please don't talk crazy tho because it's something basic we want weither you use it or not. This is a big step for Nintendo to come into basic online functions. Don't demean or suger coat this.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Ok Laer let's bang this out instead if getting petty.

I'm not salty about swapnote cause I never used it. There not doing nothing with the WiiUChat cause if there not giving very basic voice chat you can damn well bet there not letting us flip off kids thru video on MK8.

Nobody is blowing there load yet, it hasent be confirmed tho, ands this is all speculation (thank goodness) because there is still time for voice chat to make it in.

Now the reason we want it is because many of us are friends and play online together and love to talk with one another. MK and Smash are huge online games for N and should have voice chat. Simple as that, no crybaby no nothing this is plain and simple as this.

Now you may not understand some of this cause you haven't voicechatted with us in CoD or MH and that's fine you don't have to get it. Please don't talk crazy tho because it's something basic we want weither you use it or not. This is a big step for Nintendo to come into basic online functions. Don't demean or suger coat this.
Not referring to you, and I've used voice chat in Monster Hunter, just saying that how people are behaving is pretty ridiculous imo.
Its not even confirmed that MK8 doesnt have voice chat, and really it doesnt make sense for Nintendo not to have it. It'd be pretty lame to use the "for the kiddies"excuse because they have had voice chat on the DS in several flagship titles, there is a system wide app on the 3DS and they have a video chat built right into the WiiU. They're not removing those. Lol.

People are only saying that because Nintendo shut down swapnote, hence my "they must be salty" comment.

Honestly though I just want to hear some of the recordings from the chats.

There is a sincere problem if Im already tired of it. Ninty just really needs to get it over with and just add a chat system because this is getting me ticked off.

Gamer's today feel more like socialites than enthusiasts,Im not having any of that y'know.

(Pretty much why I joined this community)

Last edited:

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I don't think this has a thing to do with swapnote, hell I don't even think that @Mike D. owns a 3DS so that's a moot point.

And as much as I would love to take your word that "the gamepad has all this built in they will be features for the game" I just don't know. And honestly I'm leaning toward no because of WiiSports Online. That and Nintendi hasent given us specifics of how the online will function.

And just because some DS / Wii / 3DS games had voice chat in no way shape or form confirms that MK8 will. Heck for that matter MK7 didn't.