Why did Nintendo decieve Star Fox fans about being able to turn off the Gyros in Star Fox Zero...?

Do you think Nintendo purposfully lied to the fans about the gyro controls in Star Fox Zero...?

• Yes....

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No....

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Kinda....

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....

http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/22/11...terview-star-fox-guard-nintendo-platinumgames

This interview lends credence to the fact that Nintendo completly understood how difficult it is to play SFZ wth these new controls....

Probably....

Could have had multiplayer instead on Gyros....

Fuck....

Could have had more content instead of Gyros....

Fuck....

Could have had a better SF game if Star Fox Guard never existed....

Fuuuuuuuuuuck....

smh....

Back to the point I'm trying to make....

"Although there are ways to limit the gyroscopic controls to some degree, there's no option to disable them entirely. Could that be a turn-off for fans attracted to Star Fox Zero's throwback appeal?

The directors don't think so, they said. "We never really thought about making it possible to turn off gyro controls or make [the game] playable using the Pro controller," Hayashi said. "It was really just our thinking that being able to look at your first-person view on the GamePad and line up shots that way felt very intuitive and very fun."

What the fuck, Nintendo...?

At first you let it slip they could be turned off entirely....

Back in June of last year....

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...tar_fox_zeros_gyro_controls_can_be_turned_off

Then we suddenly find out last month that it was all bullshit....

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1193680

"Back at E3, Nintendo UK said motion controls could be turned off.

I can confirm that gyro controls can indeed be switched on or off in Star Fox Zero.

But according to Jose Otero at IGN, motion controls can't be turned off.

Hi guys, so Nintendo of America corrected an error in our Star Fox Zero preview that went up today.

Here's their statement: "Motion controls cannot be entirely disabled in Star Fox Zero, although players will have some options to choose how they are implemented. The game was designed to be played with motion controls, and it would be incredibly difficult to complete certain areas of the game without the independent aiming and flight that they offer.

"Michael Futter, news editor at Game Informer, is saying the same thing."

So what the fuck is this all about...?

Why did Nintendo decieve the fans for almost a year, up until about 6 weeks until SFZ was going to be released, that they were in fact "in error" in saying that the new gyro controls could not in fact be turned off entirely...?

Nintendo say in this fucking interview that they never intended to ever have them completly turned off in the first place....

So then, Why...?

Well, for one, the backlash has been huge over SFZ's new direction in terms of control method, the gyro cockpit controls being the main complaint....

I mean, SFZ is really no stranger to controversy....

Since its reveal SFZ has been under the scrutiny of Nintendo fans and non Nintendo fans alike for its dated look, and gyroscope control overhaul....

So Nintendo knew it was a big factor in whether or not people were going to want to play this new SF game....

I mean, they strait up delayed SFZ in an attempt to remedy the games poor presentation, something the fans cried foul on, and something Nintendo seems to have remedied in the time they took....

But for months now, SF fans have been under the impression that we would be able to play this fucking game without the motion controls, the old school way, the way GRIMA intended....

Basically making the other huge complaint, the Gyros, a null and void problem....

Only to have the rug seemingly swept out from under us right before this game dropped....

Could they have possibly hid this info from gamers in an attempt to protect sales and pre-orders...?

Could they have been affraid that it would get out that using these new controls were in fact a huge barrier to enjoying the game...?

Why else would they do this and outright lie to fans about this for almost a year...?

What say you....?

Last edited:

Koenig

The Architect
From what I have seen the ability to turn off gryo controls is so limited that it can only be considered token, which makes sense I suppose; Token gestures are a great way to appease the masses without actually doing anything notable.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Well sifting thru your info LSB it's pretty jacked on Nintendos part that not only this went on so long but it looks like they did outright lie. Even if early they intended to put the option in to completely turn them off........it didn't end up that way on the final product. And based on that alone this is not good for Nintendo in any way, shape or form.

FriedShoes

MLG
I dont think so, it wasnt a selling point they put in the forefront at all, it was always "gyro" stuff. Considering it was just one PR rep, not the devs themselves or any other PR team, that made the incorrect assertion, I don't think they intentionally deceived anyone.

Also the thought that gyro controls or Star Fox Guard affected the development plan of the game is wrong. Also Guard is pretty fun imo.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Also the thought that gyro controls or Star Fox Guard affected the development plan of the game is wrong. Also Guard is pretty fun imo.
I was thinking it might have directed resources away from SFZ, in other words, would that money, time, and planning have been better spent on fleshing out the main game vs having the mini game that is SFG...?

FriedShoes

MLG
I would assume control setup and features were pretty much laid out in the beginning, especially if Platinum was gonna handle most of it. I dont think they did Guard but it was probably Nintendo's thinking that Guard partially does flesh out the Star Fox meta.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Everything about this game seems so sketchy. I just hope when I finally play it that at least it's fun for a little while, but I don't know that I'll be much into replaying it unless you can actually unlock a harder difficulty, which right now doesn't seem to be the case.

BobSilencieux

Star Fox Guard IS a lot of fun, imo. And as far as I know, it was developed by a different team to the one working on SFZ (ie. Miyamoto's team as opposed to P*).

But the handling of the information re motion controls seems a little dubious. "You can turn them off..." but only when you're not shooting. Which you will be doing. Like, 90% of the time.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
After playing Star Fox to the last levels I can say that this game wouldn't work without gyro controls. Maybe you could in a co-op fashion but honestly , the gyro controls help the game out. There are some pretty epic battles in the game that remind me of something out of XCX or Monster Hunter. I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I still think it needs multiplayer...but you gotta try this game at some point. It will be one of the necessary experiences on Wii U.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Star Fox worked on the SNES controller....

It can work without Gyros imo....

And has for many moons....

I was told the same thing about Splatoon....:mhand:

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
I'm sure it works fine without gyro, but anyone who doesnt use it in Splatoon is at a disadvantage, I've seen it first hand.
Maybe in terms of competetive play.... Something Star Fox lacks....

Which makes the "need for them" debatable....

I've probably pwned plenty of people in Splatoon who used Gyros and not even known....

And I'm DA all day....:mhand:

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
Star Fox worked on the SNES controller....

It can work without Gyros imo....

And has for many moons....

I was told the same thing about Splatoon....:mhand:
One of my favorite mode types were the All-Range modes in the older Star Fox. The gyro controls make them so much better. The ability to keep your ship straight and to down craft below and above and around you just feels right. The gyro controls aren't as handy in corridor mode (although can be in tight spaces, actually) but they are a blessing in all-range. Its too bad they didn't have some sort of epic dog-fighting or co-op online gaming to really push this game over the edge.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
One of my favorite mode types were the All-Range modes in the older Star Fox. The gyro controls make them so much better. The ability to keep your ship straight and to down craft below and above and around you just feels right. The gyro controls aren't as handy in corridor mode (although can be in tight spaces, actually) but they are a blessing in all-range. Its too bad they didn't have some sort of epic dog-fighting or co-op online gaming to really push this game over the edge.
I'm not arguing that it might make it better for some.... All I'm saying is there are those out there that would have prefered to turn it off....

Regardless of how much some think it might add to the experience....

I'm not saying you are wrong....

Just that I don't agree with you that they are nessesary to the experience....

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I'm sure it works fine without gyro, but anyone who doesnt use it in Splatoon is at a disadvantage, I've seen it first hand.

That aside, I do wonder about some reviewers on this. A whole bunch of people who reviewed Splatoon said they liked the gyro controls, but now a whole bunch say they don't like them in Star Fox.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
I think they knew full well motion controls turn off some fans so they took a half-step to appease these people.

I don't mind gyro controls, but fuck aiming with the gamepad. For gyro controls, I hate that we went from wiimote that was ergonomically designed for pointing to the gamepad which always feels clunky to aim.

Oh well. Another Wii U game that would be better with the Wiimote.

That aside, I do wonder about some reviewers on this. A whole bunch of people who reviewed Splatoon said they liked the gyro controls, but now a whole bunch say they don't like them in Star Fox.
I know who I'm inferring to when I make my statement, no need to embarrass yourself.