Wii Games on the Wii U GamePad?

running_in_jam

Videogame Sound Designer and Composer
Does anyone know if we'll be able to do this? I wanted to play Pandora's Tower earlier, but my brother was using the TV. I thought "If only I had a Wii U..." but then realised I wasn't sure if Wii games could be played on the GamePad.

Also he took my coke the b******!!! >.>

There were talks about letting people continue gaming on Upad if someone else wanted watch T.V. but I haven't heard which games this will be allowed on.

running_in_jam

Hmmm but what about Wii Games that require use of the remote? How would you be able to play them on just the GamePad? Pandora's Tower, for example.

Wii U games, I imagine most will support this feature, which is something I'm definitely looking forward to.

"running_in_jam" wrote: Hmmm but what about Wii Games that require use of the remote? How would you be able to play them on just the GamePad? Pandora's Tower, for example.

Wii U games, I imagine most will support this feature, which is something I'm definitely looking forward to.
The fact that there is a sensor bar right on the GamePad makes me think that it will use Bluetooth technology to sync up with a Wii Remote and treat the GamePad as a TV screen if the game requires anything like IR sensing.

"YoshiRider123" wrote:
"running_in_jam" wrote:
Hmmm but what about Wii Games that require use of the remote? How would you be able to play them on just the GamePad? Pandora's Tower, for example.

The fact that there is a sensor bar right on the GamePad makes me think that it will use Bluetooth technology to sync up with a Wii Remote and treat the GamePad as a TV screen if the game requires anything like IR sensing.
You don't need Bluetooth or anything like that between the Wii remote and the U controller for Wii games to work. The important part is the built-in sensor strip, which does require line of sight. That's all that is needed for the GamePad to work like a semi-portable Wii with U on and TV off.

"NintendoMan" wrote:
"YoshiRider123" wrote:
"running_in_jam" wrote:

You don't need Bluetooth or anything like that between the Wii remote and the U controller for Wii games to work. The important part is the built-in sensor strip, which does require line of sight. That's all that is needed for the GamePad to work like a semi-portable Wii with U on and TV off.
I believe that you misunderstand me. When I said that Bluetooth would be used with a Wii Remote, I didn't mean that the two devices would be directly connected to each other.

I brought Bluetooth up because I know that it would be required to connect a Wii Remote to the Wii U console so that you can use it in conjunction with the GamePad in order to play Wii games on the controller's screen. You're completely right that the only real connection between the two controllers is the IR sensing, but I wasn't trying to insinuate anything beyond that, either. I can understand if you thought otherwise, but I hope you see what I mean now.

running_in_jam

That's interesting. It might make things a bit difficult, depending on how far away from the GamePad you'll have to be. It would kind of suck if, rather than sitting back and relaxing, you have to place the GamePad across the room to point the remote at it o_O

"running_in_jam" wrote: That's interesting. It might make things a bit difficult, depending on how far away from the GamePad you'll have to be. It would kind of suck if, rather than sitting back and relaxing, you have to place the GamePad across the room to point the remote at it o_O
I wouldn't think that it'd be different from the Wii's sensor bar, which only detects infrared signals from about three to eight feet away. If we go by that, you can already get an idea of how it'd probably be for the GamePad's IR sensing.

A lot of games that use that technology for menu navigation tend to have optional control stick or d-pad support, and if it's more action oriented, you probably wouldn't want to be playing with the GamePad that close to you anyway. That's how I see it, at least.

running_in_jam

"YoshiRider123" wrote: A lot of games that use that technology for menu navigation tend to have optional control stick or d-pad support, and if it's more action oriented, you probably wouldn't want to be playing with the GamePad that close to you anyway. That's how I see it, at least.
Yeah, that's true. I guess I probably just wouldn't bother trying to play the more motion-heavy games that way.

Frankly though, I'll probably be too busy with Wii U games to care about replaying Wii games