Wii U / 3DS sales thread

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Oh wow, Major, Nintendo increased their work force by 1000 people.... huh I guess they really dont have enough people for HD Develepment still with all of those guys

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
VGC puts Wii U sales last week at 80K WW, still the highest week we've seen all year, but not the 110K I was hoping for before the adjustments.
Ho wow. So how far does the WiiU need to go for 100k this month ) novemeber) What did it do in october?
Don't have any data for sales weeks in November yet, but October had a worldwide total of 211,297 (+/-40,000). That's 86,040 (+/-19,000) in the US, 53,821 (+/-15,000) in EU, 49,164 in JP (+/-1,000), and 22,272 (+/-5,000) in other regions. Since the last shipment data we got (Sep. 30th--the sales mouth of Oct. didn't begin until the 6th) the Wii U has sold around 286,737 WW (+/-50,000).

BTW, the give/take numbers are just my personal thoughts on the matter (so don't take them too seriously).

Goodtwin

Ho wow. So how far does the WiiU need to go for 100k this month ) novemeber) What did it do in october?

Wii U will blow away 100k on the week of Black Friday. It could easily sell 500k in that week alone. Even last year with the Wii, which had no new games and was getting very long in the tooth sold a crap load of units that week. Sounds like Nintendo is getting ready to actually do some advertising for Mario 3D World, so that should help with consumer awareness.

Ex-Actarus

VGC puts Wii U sales last week at 80K WW, still the highest week we've seen all year, but not the 110K I was hoping for before the adjustments.
Don't have any data for sales weeks in November yet, but October had a worldwide total of 211,297 (+/-40,000). That's 86,040 (+/-19,000) in the US, 53,821 (+/-15,000) in EU, 49,164 in JP (+/-1,000), and 22,272 (+/-5,000) in other regions. Since the last shipment data we got (Sep. 30th--the sales mouth of Oct. didn't begin until the 6th) the Wii U has sold around 286,737 WW (+/-50,000).

BTW, the give/take numbers are just my personal thoughts on the matter (so don't take them too seriously).

Good to see that Wii Party U had an effect in Japan.
However the Wind Waker effect did not last in Europe and on the US.
Let's hope those Mario bundles and 3D World really gives the push the Wii U - and Iwata - need.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
Wii U US Sales Predictions for October 2013 (NPD's data comes out Nov. 15th):Webush/Pachter: 75,000VGChartz: 86,040TechnoHobbit: 90,000

For the first time ever, I think VGC may actually be undertracking Wii U sales. Anyone else care to make a guess?

Ex-Actarus

Wii U US Sales Predictions for October 2013 (NPD's data comes out Nov. 15th):Webush/Pachter: 75,000VGChartz: 86,040TechnoHobbit: 90,000

For the first time ever, I think VGC may actually be undertracking Wii U sales. Anyone else care to make a guess?

TechnoHobbit beat Patcher the last time, I don't see why it would be different this time :)

I will push for 110k.

I think the Zelda bundle did great the first half of October.

I've been repeating this: vgc is shipments. shipments can go down while stock from previous shipments that is sold goes up.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
Creamsugar (NeoGAF NPD leaker): PSV < 30k < Wii < 40k < 50k < Wii U < 60k < 100k < PS3 < 120kWelp, so there goes my 3 months of being right. Pachter wins X_X And he actually overestimated, which that never happens. This paints a slightly better picture though (stolen from Aquamarine):Wii U historical average weekly sales ranking, post holiday 2012:

1) September 2013 - 19,000 average weekly sales
2) February 2013 - 16,500 average weekly sales
3 or 4) October 2013 - 15,000 maximum average weekly sales
3 or 4) March 2013 - 13,500 average weekly sales
3 or 4) October 2013 - 12,500 minimum average weekly sales
5) January 2013 - 11,000 average weekly sales
6) April 2013 - 9,000 average weekly sales
7) June 2013 - 8,500 average weekly sales
8) May 2013 - 8,000 average weekly sales
9) August 2013 - 7,500 average weekly sales
10) July 2013 - 7,000 average weekly sales
So it's a decent month for the Wii U, but sadly a decent month for the Wii U is a bad month for any other console out there besides the Vita. January will be very interesting, can the Wii U finally do well during a month where nothing big happens? Lastly Wii U wise Sonic sold 30k units on WiiU/3DS, which is below the average for a Sonic game but not to bad (the vast majority of sales for a Sonic game come after it reaches $20).
On a much more positive note: 3DS rules all with 452k units sold (congrats VGC for being off by a mare 2%) and 2 million first party software (1.7 million of which are thanks to Pokemon X/Y).
Note: This is US sales only.

Ex-Actarus

Those numbers for the Wii U are an absolute DISASTER.

Mario 3D World and Mario bundles needs to perform miracles !

Iwata days are numbered, mark my words...

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Creamsugar (NeoGAF NPD leaker): PSV < 30k < Wii < 40k < 50k < Wii U < 60k < 100k < PS3 < 120k
Welp, so there goes my 3 months of being right. Pachter wins X_X And he actually overestimated, which that never happens. This paints a slightly better picture though (stolen from Aquamarine):Wii U historical average weekly sales ranking, post holiday 2012:

1) September 2013 - 19,000 average weekly sales
2) February 2013 - 16,500 average weekly sales
3 or 4) October 2013 - 15,000 maximum average weekly sales
3 or 4) March 2013 - 13,500 average weekly sales
3 or 4) October 2013 - 12,500 minimum average weekly sales
5) January 2013 - 11,000 average weekly sales
6) April 2013 - 9,000 average weekly sales
7) June 2013 - 8,500 average weekly sales
8) May 2013 - 8,000 average weekly sales
9) August 2013 - 7,500 average weekly sales
10) July 2013 - 7,000 average weekly sales
So it's a decent month for the Wii U, but sadly a decent month for the Wii U is a bad month for any other console out there besides the Vita. January will be very interesting, can the Wii U finally do well during a month where nothing big happens? Lastly Wii U wise Sonic sold 30k units on WiiU/3DS, which is below the average for a Sonic game but not to bad (the vast majority of sales for a Sonic game come after it reaches $20).
On a much more positive note: 3DS rules all with 452k units sold (congrats VGC for being off by a mare 2%) and 2 million first party software (1.7 million of which are thanks to Pokemon X/Y).
Note: This is US sales only.

I'm thinking Nintendo knows that Wii U cannot be the success the Wii was, so if you lower your standards, while still able to pull a good revenue stream, Nintendo won't budge to replace the Wii U anytime soon. Nintendo really does know how to put on a brave face in situations like this, but I wonder how their shareholders have been responding lately.

ASuch

The Salt Master
I certainly hope Nintendo enters panic mode. It doesn't seem like they've adjusted yet to HD development, and they need to fast.

I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't entered panic mode for Wii U. 2014 will be a very interesting year.
Same reason why Sony didn't do so with the PS3 after not making a profit until 2010 and after the console effectively undid all the profits made from the PS2 (Although Sony saying that they aren't allowed to fail this gen kind of is entering panic mode).

Pretty much, the only way Nintendo will stop supporting the Wii U is if it was a Virtual Boy, completely failing at its core.

Fortunately, it looks like Nintendo has plans for the Wii U and sees a lot of unlocked potential.

Ex-Actarus

I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't entered panic mode for Wii U. 2014 will be a very interesting year.

Regardless of the success of Mario 3D World, The Wii U is in crisis.

Period.

I mean 3rd party games DON'T SELL AT ALL !

Ghosts in Uk sold less on Wii U than on PS4 and the PS4 is not even out yet...

You can be sure that the Activision, Ubisoft and Warner Bros will reconsider thier involement on Wii U in 2014 if their games can't sell on the platform...

Goodtwin

If Ghost, AC4, and Batman Origins cant outsell last years installments then we likely wont see future releases. This Christmas is critical for future Wii U support.

Regardless of the success of Mario 3D World, The Wii U is in crisis.

Period.

I mean 3rd party games DON'T SELL AT ALL !

Ghosts in Uk sold less on Wii U than on PS4 and the PS4 is not even out yet...

You can be sure that the Activision, Ubisoft and Warner Bros will reconsider thier involement on Wii U in 2014 if their games can't sell on the platform...
Nobody can buy your games if they arent available

All third party games need to do on the Wii U is make a profit or even break even. Else, support will leave.
EDIT: Seeing how the Wii U version of all the third party games seem to be barely enhanced ports of current-gen, even more so in comparison to the PS4 and Xbox One, and seeing how the Wii U versions receive no marketing, I take it that it won't take much for the Wii U version of third party games to make a profit.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
actually they need to be more profitable than the other things devs/pubs could be spending that development money on. it's called opportunity cost.

actually they need to be more profitable than the other things devs/pubs could be spending that development money on. it's called opportunity cost.
My bad for assuming everyone would look at "making a profit" in terms of the economic profit. I should have been more specific.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
The problem with third-party games on Wii U is not that they aren't selling, it's that there's no one to sell too. When a console only controls 2% of the home console market, now that it's no longer launch it'll only control 2% of the third-party market. And that's in the US, it's worse in the EU where it only controls 1.5% of the home console market.
Like I've said before, I think Watch_Dogs will be the game that decides the future of non-yearly third-party franchises on the Wii U. It all depends of if the Wii U can capture a nice sized chunk of the market by then.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Just to put part of the blame onto the developers (and Publishers), if they would stop resorting to gimping Wii U versions, maybe, just maybe more people wold buy them. Also, don't charge full price for the fucking game while at the same time getting rid of features, like what 505 Games did for Sniper Elite V2. If you're going to remove features from a game, at least have the common courtesy to lower the price like what Warner Bros did for Arkham Origins. Less features should equal lower price. Hey it usually works with cars, so why not with video games? Even movies follow this route. A special collector's edition with all these special features and booklets will cost more than the normal release with just the movie and some commentary.
No, wait, that would be thinking too logical. Sorry, that method doesn't work here. :-?

All third party games need to do on the Wii U is make a profit or even break even. Else, support will leave.
EDIT: Seeing how the Wii U version of all the third party games seem to be barely enhanced ports of current-gen, even more so in comparison to the PS4 and Xbox One, and seeing how the Wii U versions receive no marketing, I take it that it won't take much for the Wii U version of third party games to make a profit.
I wasn't thinking when I said this (therefore I added a disagree lol).
All Wii U needs to do is expand its install base to a size where, like TechnoHobbit said, it begins to control a larger percentage of the market than it currently does. Once this happens, third party games will naturally sell better on the system. This is basically the same thing every third party publisher has said. I even remember EA saying something like if there is money to be made somewhere, they will be there. Currently, there isn't much money to be made on the Wii U.

Ex-Actarus

The problem with third-party games on Wii U is not that they aren't selling, it's that there's no one to sell too. When a console only controls 2% of the home console market, now that it's no longer launch it'll only control 2% of the third-party market. And that's in the US, it's worse in the EU where it only controls 1.5% of the home console market.
Like I've said before, I think Watch_Dogs will be the game that decides the future of non-yearly third-party franchises on the Wii U. It all depends of if the Wii U can capture a nice sized chunk of the market by then.

Even if the market share is low, there is NO EXCUSES for selling less than the version of a console not even out yet...

There are 4 million Wii U out there, so Assassin's Creed 4 and Call of Duty Ghosts should sell a lot better on Wii U than the PS4 and Xbone versions, right ? NOPE.

The Wii U numbers for 3rd party games will be so low that Ubisoft and Activision will decide to not support the Wii U anymore ( don't worry we will still get Just Dance and Skylanders... ).

The 3rd party strategy from Nintendo has been a complete disaster. This even worth than the Gamecube situation !

If the Wii U version of those big games represent only 1% of total sales, why the likes of Ubisoft, Activision and Warner Bros would bother use resources even if to make 360 / PS3 ports.

I don't care there wasn't any marketing, if Nintendo can't even take opportunity of the Nintendo Direct to push those games, then the 3rd party are not the only people to blame.

Again, Iwata is responsible and has to go.

Unfortunately, I see more and more the Gamecube scenario for the Wii U :

- amazing games
- poor 3rd party support
- poor sales
- only Nintendo games sell well

Even a additional price drop won't change the situation, people simply don't care about the Wii U and that's really sad...

:(

The console sold a million on day 1.
Demand man.

Nintendo should have just gone with their first party approach first and had certain things out the gate.

Launch days are meaningless, and you know it. see Dreamcast, GC, Wii U. Plus, that's not much when you consider how many ps3 owners there are now. Plus the people who are switching away from xbox and other devices. And the scalpers, who probably make up some of that number, aren't making much money. Look around the popular resale sites, and you can find one easily.
Bakana, PS4 has already sold a million units and its not out in the UK or Japan. This means Sony will match sales of Wii U by March 31st end report. Even possible it could pass them.
Doesn' mean shit for mid to long term sales or for other regions. If Wii U had continued it's first day sales until March 31 of this year, plus did the same in Europe as it was projected to do in Americas,, things would be very, very different. But that's not how things work. See above.

Like I said in the CT, unsurprising that it sold one million in a single day. Not only did they they have first and third (which doesn't sell as many systems as the former) party, but they had advertising. Wii U had basically none of this during launch day
Just a matter of if those sales will sustain.
As for what it means for Wii U, it doesn't mean much as you can't get your Wii U fix on PS4, but you probably can on Xbox One, which is the real threat Sony needs to be worrying about right now.
EDIT: So Wii U had 1.3 million by early December, 2 million by late December, and 3 million by early May (drought mania). Will be interesting to see if PS4 can hit 2 million by the end of the Holidays.

Oh come on guys you know those sales will be sustained in some fashion.

Perhaps enough to get the thing to 41 million sold worldwide in 3 years.

But the consumer is extremely fragmented these days

Nintendo's got little under a year left to turn this shit around they're in.

Marketing better get crsipy. (points at my idea thread)

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
While I agree with you that the PS4 is most likely going to sustain sales better (after what has been a very successful launch thus far; they'll probably sustain because they probably won't have the same type of game drought the Wii U had), Nintendo doesn't have just a year left with the Wii U. It takes most studios two years to put out games; Nintendo sometimes takes even longer still. Not until 3D World launches will they have even started to drop their biggest games. You don't drop supporting a console while you're actively investing in making games for it.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
1 million is absolutely insane for one region, the Wii U has been out for almost a year now and the sales in the US have just reached 1.5 million. I think that answers some of this post:

Even if the market share is low, there is NO EXCUSES for selling less than the version of a console not even out yet...

There are 4 million Wii U out there, so Assassin's Creed 4 and Call of Duty Ghosts should sell a lot better on Wii U than the PS4 and Xbone versions, right ? NOPE.

The Wii U numbers for 3rd party games will be so low that Ubisoft and Activision will decide to not support the Wii U anymore ( don't worry we will still get Just Dance and Skylanders... ).

The 3rd party strategy from Nintendo has been a complete disaster. This even worth than the Gamecube situation !

If the Wii U version of those big games represent only 1% of total sales, why the likes of Ubisoft, Activision and Warner Bros would bother use resources even if to make 360 / PS3 ports.

I don't care there wasn't any marketing, if Nintendo can't even take opportunity of the Nintendo Direct to push those games, then the 3rd party are not the only people to blame.

Again, Iwata is responsible and has to go.

Unfortunately, I see more and more the Gamecube scenario for the Wii U :

- amazing games
- poor 3rd party support
- poor sales
- only Nintendo games sell well

Even a additional price drop won't change the situation, people simply don't care about the Wii U and that's really sad...

:(
There is an excuse, sales for games will naturally be higher than usual because it's at launch & then combine it with the fact the PS4 launch outsold the Wii U's launch by around 2.25X and it's understandable why third-party games are doing better on the PS4. Also, only 2.5 million of those Wii U sales are from the west (where western third-party games sale).
As for "the Wii U version of those big games represent only 1% of total sales", there is some good news, in the US the Wii U has accounted for 2% of a few third-party games as of late.

EDIT: So Wii U had 1.3 million by early December, 2 million by late December, and 3 million by early May (drought mania).
Exactly. Plus, they cancelled exclusivity of Rayman, etc. But nobody went around claiming the 1.3 million they sold at that launch would continue. But sony gets a free pass and all the news outlets are willing to help spread the hype. Again, how many scalpers and ps4's on ebay and CL are there?

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
While I agree with you that the PS4 is most likely going to sustain sales better (after what has been a very successful launch thus far; they'll probably sustain because they probably won't have the same type of game drought the Wii U had), Nintendo doesn't have just a year left with the Wii U. It takes most studios two years to put out games; Nintendo sometimes takes even longer still. Not until 3D World launches will they have even started to drop their biggest games. You don't drop supporting a console while you're actively investing in making games for it.
since the age (and income) of your average gamer is still rising every year, i think there's a good chance a lot more people will own multiple consoles than in the past as well. wii u might not be the first console people want to get this generation, but it's a lot more likely to be the second. while i think sales wise the wii u will initially be slaughtered by xb1/ps4, it could pick up some steam in 2-3 years when a bunch of great 1st party games are out and gamer's eyes start to wander away from their ps4/xb1.

so yeah, there's more than a year left for nintendo to get a respectable volume of sales.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic

I wanted to highlight this, because I think it's a very important concept that is almost completely absent from nearly every discussion I've ever read about why publishers make the choices they make in gaming. I encourage people to familiarize themselves with the concept, its logic - and not uncritically, but more so to be informed.

There's a tendency among gamers on forums to wildly exaggerate the costs to publishers associated with porting and localization (and even in many instances, development), assuming that publishers would never leave money on the table. Yet they do it all the time. Just like any of you do while playing Pikmin. You have limited time and pikmin, so do you deploy them in 20 different directions to coordinate them to pick up little pieces when a big juicy watermelon and an apple are sitting right there? (or the promise of one just over that hill - regardless of whether it pans out or not). That's the logic at work with publishers (particularly the larger ones). Now throw the monopolizing grants of intellectual property, both on software and closed hardware environments into the picture - and if the company with the monopoly doesn't do it, then no one does it. Ideas and cultural works get fenced in and sealed away from public access and enjoyment. And if the game or series that you were looking forward to happened to be a lowly grape or a pikmin chip, instead of a golden strawberry or a mighty melon, then your odds of being left out in the cold come nightfall when everyone beams back up to the shareholder mothership are greater. The end result? Barriers to the dissemination of cultural products (and ideas), and substantial fan bases left under-serviced simply because they aren't the largest piece of fruit laying around on the ground (collectively the underserviced can easily add up to a majority, but if sufficiently fragmented - the big shiny plurality will exert the greatest pull on the avaricious).

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
According to VGC, the PS4 sold 984,212 units launch week, and here are the games sales:
1. Call of Duty: Ghosts - 703,6382. Battlefield 4 - 396,1873. Killzone: Shadow Fall - 355,1484. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - 345,1765. Madden NFL 25 - 133,1766. NBA 2K14 - 111,6747. Knack - 102,7498. Need for Speed Rivals - 94,1579. FIFA Soccer 14 - 77,91410. LEGO Marvel Super Heroes - 32,18811. NBA Live 14 - 21,65212. Skylanders SWAP Force - 18,68113. Just Dance 2014 - 17,56914. Injustice: Gods Among Us - 5,14315. Angry Birds Star Wars - 2,274Total: 2,417,516http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/archive/b/b5/20120914120348!Exploding-head.gifCOD, has an 71% attach rate.... That's just not natural. Not even Nintendo games reach that number, even NSMBU only had a 63% attach rate! COD2 is the only other launch game I can think of that reached that type of number and it was an exclusive. Than look at these other games attach rates, they're also just off the charts. Battlefield has 40%, Killzone has 36%, and AC4 has 35%. Like I said it just isn't natural, it even puts the 360's launches third-party game attach rates to shame (which previously held the record).
I don't know what to make of this..............................

Launch hype. 3rd party games.
LOL, Top 3 are first person shooters and 2 of the 3 are late, rushed ports, which basically carried the ps4's launch. Lame. Who bought them? A bunch of hipsters and quick scoping children who cry for gwaphics all day mostly. Just lame. The ps4 would be a failure without all this FPS. And LOL again, look at the rest which are all ports. This is actually the most pathetic launch in terms of 3rd party software in history except for the old Wii which had almost none.

Sony managed to sell a million day one without having anything standout at launch, the competition has to really screw up for that to happen, and they did. Wii U's library is good enough to tide you over until next years "heavy hitters" come out, so i think it's much better value in the short term, but PS4 has much more long term viability, which is why it's going to keep selling well.