Wii U / 3DS sales thread

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Where's the Sony shitstorm when you need one>?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BcvAOd1CEAA3Lvs.jpg

Ahh, now that's better.

NINTENDERVALVING UP IN HIZZEH

SONY DOWN. MICROSAMSUNG DOWN

GamingFreak1988

The Platformer Guru
We know the sales from Japan are accurate, and since VGchartz doesnt put the US sales much higher, I have to believe they are close. Perhaps X1 was undertracked, but the fact that there was no shortage of the console at all, it also makes me think they are close. If X1 dropped that quickly in December, what will happen to it in January? What piece of software do they have to entice people to buy a $500 console in January? Microsoft is in for a rude awakening. Like SirNintendo said, with all the advertising they did for the X1, and are still doing, the numbers just arent showing a market full of people who find the product really attractive right now.
I still don't understand why Microsoft didn't drop Kinect.
NOBODY cares about it - gamers and devs alike !!!
500$ / 500 Euros is a lot to ask for a new console.
I'm going to guess for the same reason as why nintendo won't drop the gamepad from the wiiu. They designed the system heavily around the kinect itself and wanted it to a part of the system experience people would get. If it wasn't mandatory it'd basically be guaranteed not to be supported all that well.. Add on's sold seperately are pretty much never utilised a lot. Just take a look at playstation move on ps3, wii motion plus on wii and kinect on the 360 for good examples. This way if a dev considers it, they won't have the issue of do enough people own the add on to justify putting time and effort to utilize it?

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
One thing I've noticed is the hardcore Xbox fanboys feel the same about the Gamepad as we feel about the Kinect.
True. And so long as devs don't utilize the GamePad's screen well, they have a bit of a point. But IMO, off-TV play is a neat feature to have, regardless. So long as you're staying home, the Wii U works as both a console and a handheld. OTOH, Kinect? It's not like the Wiimote, where it's the default; it's a neat included add-on. But it's also an expensive add-on that doesn't necessarily do much to transform the core games everyone buys (and voice command might be neat, but it's a bit like having Siri on your iPhone; none of the iPhone users I know really use it after the initial wow factor wears off). So you're basically saying "hey, pay more to buy this console that is on par with the PS4 and doesn't have Nintendo's exclusives."

None of that is to say it's not a good console, though. I played the Forza demo at GameStop earlier this week, and it's a fantastic sim, while the One's controller really is a phenomenal piece of kit.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
One thing I've noticed is the hardcore Xbox fanboys feel the same about the Gamepad as we feel about the Kinect.
True. And so long as devs don't utilize the GamePad's screen well, they have a bit of a point. But IMO, off-TV play is a neat feature to have, regardless. So long as you're staying home, the Wii U works as both a console and a handheld. OTOH, Kinect? It's not like the Wiimote, where it's the default; it's a neat included add-on. But it's also an expensive add-on that doesn't necessarily do much to transform the core games everyone buys (and voice command might be neat, but it's a bit like having Siri on your iPhone; none of the iPhone users I know really use it after the initial wow factor wears off). So you're basically saying "hey, pay more to buy this console that is on par with the PS4 and doesn't have Nintendo's exclusives."

None of that is to say it's not a good console, though. I played the Forza demo at GameStop earlier this week, and it's a fantastic sim, while the One's controller really is a phenomenal piece of kit.

I think that is part of the problem with Kinect, it's simply an add-on, while both the Wii remote and Gamepad are built into the system. But like you said, that's not to say the Xbox One is a bad console though. Between XBL, the controller, and hopefully a more reliable system, it's likely to be quite a good console. I just think the Kinect is a dead end for them. I know that Microsoft has a new CEO (or was it their Xbox division?), and for 2014, he'll be taking a good look at how the Kinect does, and the entire Xbox division for that matter. Here's hoping that Xbox can still be around since it's nice to have three major console platforms.
Moving on slightly with the Wii U, I think the Off-TV feature alone is one of the good reasons for the Gamepad. For some, they think it's a wasted opportunity that they'll never use since they never play their games on a small screen. Well, that's more power to them, but I also happen to like the idea of having Off-TV play, and then like a handheld, being able to hook up your own headphones and game without interrupting anyone. I also happen to enjoy the idea of having a HUDless screen while playing, so your inventory, maps, and menu selections can all be done on the gamepad, without pausing the game. It's more or less a minor detail, but it's those little things that can have bigger impacts I think.
And just as a concept, having Pokemon Snap come back with Gamepad usage as a camera itself would be awesome. And speaking of cameras, Fatal Frame franchise. Need I say more? And lets not forget the abundance of strategy games wich can benefit with that touchscreen for extra real estate and menu selections or gameplay features.
Luckily, it's looking like the Wii U is picking up some momentum, so we'll see how the next few months turnout as the fiscal year ends.

Ex-Actarus

So what is Wii U at now? At CES Sony announced as of December 28th PS4 has sold 4.2 million. It's closing in soon.

We have no official data yet.

There is the estimate from Vgchartz ( I guess Laer was referring to that with 5.3 million ).

We have to wait for the Q3 results from Nintendo later this month.

But it's clear the PS4 will pass the Wii U.

It will probably happen with the japanese PS4 launch at the latest.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
http://nintendoeverything.com/media-create-hardware-sales-1230-15/
3DS – 187,920PS Vita – 88,169Wii U – 60,458PS3 – 40,941PSP – 12,069Wii – 1,727Xbox 360 – 1,124
:-? Japan sure has changed over the past few years, a few years ago the sales for the last week of the year bring lower than the week before Christmas would have been unheard of (interestingly Sony's consoles finally saw a rise after hardly having a bump near Christmas).

Goodtwin

I think for most of us, we could see that the PS4 was going to quickly overtake the Wii U in sales. Sony has done more advertising in the last two months than Nintendo has done in the last fourteen months. I dont really care as much about the competitions sales, but I do still like to pay attention to how the Wii U is selling. The reason is pretty simple, unless the Wii U continues to grow its userbase, the platform wont be considered a viable platform for many developers, and will quickly get cut out of multi platform games. I still want to have the option to buy next years Call of Duty on Wii U. Regardless if the PS4 and X1 are selling good or bad, Wii U support will still be based on the ability to make profit on the platform. Nintendo will do fine, the attach rate for their own games on Wii U is pretty freaking high. Nintendo may be a little bit niche, but thats what I like about them. Do you really want Nintendo to conform to the mainstream gamers taste? So many people think that Nintendo needs to change who they, and become more like their competition. I say fuck that, do we really need another console to play shooters on? Nintendo did something different with the Wii and it was a tremendous success. They tried something a little different again with the Wii U, and it didnt work out quite the same way. Their are two companies that cater to the dude bro gamer, and I understand that these people make up a large chunk of the gaming population, but we really dont need a third console offering the exact same thing. Let Nintendo be Nintendo, and time will tell if games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros can propel Wii U into the homes of the mass market.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

http://nintendoeverything.com/media-create-hardware-sales-1230-15/
3DS – 187,920PS Vita – 88,169Wii U – 60,458PS3 – 40,941PSP – 12,069Wii – 1,727Xbox 360 – 1,124
:-? Japan sure has changed over the past few years, a few years ago the sales for the last week of the year bring lower than the week before Christmas would have been unheard of (interestingly Sony's consoles finally saw a rise after hardly having a bump near Christmas).
That's famitsu guys

Sony consoles rise after Otomodisha because more teenagers buy Sony consoles with their money received.

Therefore Nintendo needs lots of content for them next otomodisha

Shoulder

I think for most of us, we could see that the PS4 was going to quickly overtake the Wii U in sales. Sony has done more advertising in the last two months than Nintendo has done in the last fourteen months. I dont really care as much about the competitions sales, but I do still like to pay attention to how the Wii U is selling. The reason is pretty simple, unless the Wii U continues to grow its userbase, the platform wont be considered a viable platform for many developers, and will quickly get cut out of multi platform games. I still want to have the option to buy next years Call of Duty on Wii U. Regardless if the PS4 and X1 are selling good or bad, Wii U support will still be based on the ability to make profit on the platform. Nintendo will do fine, the attach rate for their own games on Wii U is pretty freaking high. Nintendo may be a little bit niche, but thats what I like about them. Do you really want Nintendo to conform to the mainstream gamers taste? So many people think that Nintendo needs to change who they, and become more like their competition. I say fuck that, do we really need another console to play shooters on? Nintendo did something different with the Wii and it was a tremendous success. They tried something a little different again with the Wii U, and it didnt work out quite the same way. Their are two companies that cater to the dude bro gamer, and I understand that these people make up a large chunk of the gaming population, but we really dont need a third console offering the exact same thing. Let Nintendo be Nintendo, and time will tell if games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros can propel Wii U into the homes of the mass market.

So in other words, we're the hipsters of the gaming industry? :p

Shoulder

Wii u is at 14,020 for week 2 of 2014 in japan... By media create. http://nintendoeverything.com/media-create-hardware-sales-16-112/

I saw this posted in other forums, and the first thing people said was…well, I don't even have to say it. We know what they're going to say, and my response to that is ALL platforms had a sharp drop in sales!

Shoulder

The question is: Can the Wii U maintain 14K a week? :-?

As long as Nintendo makes money off each one sold, it could happen. We know back in September Nintendo said they were still selling for a loss, but I would imagine Nintendo are at or pretty close to makeing a profit.
January has been known to be a slow sales month because this is when all the deals have gone passed, so things are bound to be slow for this month. Hopefully though, by the end of the month, sales begin to pick up again, and then once DKC: Tropical Freeze launches next month, it'll give another boost in sales. Also, here's hoping between now and the end of January there's another Nintendo Direct showcasing what's in store for this year. For starters, I want N64 and GCN VC games to be unveiled, and then some more surprises in store to help drive interest in the paltform. Nintendo must pull all stops for the Wii U this year, or it will falter.

Goodtwin

The only way to maintain respectable hardware sales week in and week out is to have a piece of software that is highly desirable to consumers who havent not yet purchased a Wii U. Mario Kart more so than any other game could hold hardware sales at a respectable pace. Its the type of game that the general consumer can justify buying a console for. As long as Nintendo includes voice chat, it should be the system seller that honestly no other title can hope to be.

I was really hoping that Nintendo could at least hold on to 100k world wide per week in between high profile releases, but that doesnt look likely if Japan can only sustain around 15k per week. In the US I wouldnt bank on much over 25k per week, and Europe will likely slump back down to around 15k or less. We will likely see a little bump from DKC:TF, but for sustained sales its really going to come down to Mario Kart. Nintendo needs that bullet soon.

Ex-Actarus

The NPD numbers are in and they are not good for Nintendo.

We're still waiting for hardware numbers but there isn't one single Nintendo game in the top 10 for December.

Even for the top 10 for 2013, not a single Nintendo game... Not even Pokemon X&Y ??? Jesus !

The hardware numbers are going to be brutal for the Wii U...

What a disastrous year for that console !

But I have to say that the Next Gen effect wasn't that impressive.

Neither the Xbone and the PS4 sold more than a million units.

Clearly there was low stocks for the PS4, but still.

Besides hardware increase year on year was only 5% and software sales were down by 9%.

That's bad ! Even digital sales increase cannot explain such a drop.

So Next Gen console are there, but tne Industry is still in trouble.

We all know how Nintendo could get the wii U to sellout worldwide. Pokemon U.
No.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/01/16/microsoft-claims-top-u-s-december-hardware-sales-on-both-generations-3ds-wins-overall.aspx?utm_content=buffera720e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

http://playeressence.com/nintendo-of-france-shares-sales-numbers-of-wii-u-3ds-pokemon-and-3d-world/

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
So it looks like the Wii U sales for December were somewhere in between 460K and 643K (unless it outsold the PS4 which is unlikely), making it the best month for the Wii U in the US ever. If you combine this with the data from Japan (around 370K) and the VGC data from EU (around 222K) with the NPD data from the US you get at least 1052-1235K sold WW in Dec Also VGC likely undertrack EU data as they undertracked US data.
Not a bad month at all (could be tons better though).

Goodtwin

For where the Wii U is at, selling a million units in December is a milestone. As long as Nintendo keeps the software coming there is little reason to believe they wont have a lot more momentum going into holliday 2014.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
Stuff from the gaf thread (as always: US ONLY):3DS: 908K+Xbox One: 908KXbox 360: 643K480K < Wii U < 482K. PS3: 299KPSV: <95k

Games (LTD):Edit: I'll just use this awesome list stolen from shinra-bansho:
WiiJust Dance 2014 >800K
Wii ULego City Undercover - 242KPikmin 3 - 210KMonster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 93KRayman Legends - 88KSonic: Lost World - 82KThe Wonderful 101 - 49KGame & Wario - 36KResident Evil: Revelations - 16K
3DSPokemon X - 1.63MPokemon Y - 1.54M Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon >1MAnimal Crossing: New Leaf - 910KMario & Luigi: Dream Team - 472KDonkey Kong Country Returns 3DS - 386KFire Emblem: Awakening - 370KLEGO City 3DS - 365KMario Party: Island Tour - 252kMonster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 224KSonic Lost Worlds 3DS - 97kShin Megami Tensei IV - 96KProject X Zone - 87KRune Factory 4 - 47kShin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers - 36KEtrian Odyssey 4 - 36KBrain Age - 26K
PS3The Last of Us - 1473KCall of Duty: Ghosts <800KGod of War: Ascension - 783KKingdom Hearts 1.5HD - 438KNi no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch - 329KSly Cooper: Thieves in Time - 208KBeyond: Two Souls - 202KGran Turismo 6 <180KTales of Xillia - 156KResident Evil: Revelations - 53KRayman Legends - 30KHatsune Miku: Project Diva F - 16K
PS4Call of Duty: Ghosts >800KBattlefield 4 - between 550K and 600KAssassin's Creed 4 - between 500K and 550KNBA 2K14 - between 400K and 450KKillzone Shadowfall - between 400K and 450KMadden NFL 25 - between 350K and 400KNeed for Speed - between 250K and 300KFIFA 14 - between 200K and 250KKnack - between 150K and 200KLego Marvel Superheroes - between
PSVKillzone: Mercenaries - 102KSoul Sacrifice - 72KSly Cooper: Thieves in Time - 67kTearaway -50KRayman Legends - 20k
Xbox 360Minecraft - 1862KGears of War: Judgement - 764KResident Evil: Revelations - 55KRayman Legends - 42K
Xbox OneCall of Duty: Ghosts - between 800K and 900KBattlefield 4 - between 550K and 650KDead Rising 3 - 526K Forze Motorsport 5 - 457KRyse - 431KMadden NFL 25 - between 350K and 400KAssassin's Creed 4 - between 350K and 400KNBA 2K14 - between 200K and 350KFIFA 14 - between 150K and 200KNeed for Speed - between 100K and 150KLego Marvel Superheroes - between 100K and 150KJust Dance 2014 - between 100K and 150K

Small update ire Emblem: Awakening FE ~ 370k

Sly Cooper PSV ~ 67k

Etrian Odyssey 4 ~ 36k

Brain age ~ 26k

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark moon ~ 1M+

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate ~ 224k

Soul Sacrifice ~ 72K

LEGO City 3DS ~ 365k

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - Soul Hackers ~ 36k

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D ~ 386k

Animal Crossing: New Leave ~ 910k

Project X zone ~ 87k

Shin Megami Tensei IV ~ 96k

Mario & Luigi ~ 472k

Killzone: Mercenaries ~ 102k

Rune Factory 4 ~ 47k

Rayman Legends PSV ~ 20k

Sonic Lost Worlds 3DS ~ 97k

Mario Party ~ 252k

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97414772&postcount=2478

Atlus and Capcom must be very happy with the 3DS. Namco too.

http://www.trasteando.es/subemela/images/capturaznz.png

WiiU needs Minecraft

Nintendo Now Expecting to Miss Original Sales Forecast By Large Margin Despite Promotional Effortshttp://nintendoenthusiast.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Full35671_Nintendo_50pc_black.png
Nintendo has revised its business estimate of the current year's consolidated financial performance for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2014 that they announced at the beginning of the fiscal year (March 31, 2013). The new estimations are as follows:

• Net Sales: 590 billion yen against the initially projected net sales of 920 billion yen
    [*]Operating Profit: -35 billion yen against the initially projected operating profit of 100 billion yen
    [*]Ordinary Income: Five billion yen against the initially projected ordinary income of 90 billion yen
    [*]Net Income: -25 billion yen against the initially projected net income of 55 billion yen.
    [*]Foreign Currency Assumptions: 90 yen to 100 yen per U.S. dollar and 120 yen to 140 yen per euro.

Nintendo has also revised its consolidated unit sales, or total revenue that it earned from selling products, projections, as outlined in their “Notice of Full-Year Financial Forecast and Dividend Forecast Modifications” report. The new estimations are as follows:

[*]Nintendo 3DS Hardware: 13.5 million units against the initially projected 18 million
    Nintendo 3DS Software:
    66.0 million units against the initially projected 80 million
    Wii Hardware:
    1.2 million units against the initially projected 2.0 million
    Wii Software:
    26.0 million units against the initially projected 20.0 million
    Wii U Hardware:
    2.8 million units against the initially projected 9.0 million
    Wii U Software:
    19.0 million units against the initially projected 38.0 million.

There were no modifications to the company's initial projections for the Nintendo DS hardware and software.

Despite initiating various promotional activities in order to promote sales of their product and expand their audience during the year-end 2013 sales season, also known as the Holiday season, Nintendo now expects to fail to meet their previous forecast by a large margin. Perhaps Nintendo shouldn't have expected such high results if they were only planning to marketing their products during the Holidays.

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata Gives Detailed Explanation of Jan. 17, 2014 Financial Forecast Revisionshttp://nintendoenthusiast.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Full35675_Nintendo_100pc_white.png
Nintendo President and CEO Satoru Iwata has followed up with an explanation of the recent damaging full-year financial forecast and dividend forecast reductions.

Nintendo 3DS in the East

While the Nintendo 3DS has had an exceptional year, given it's performance during prior years, it wasn't enough to meet Nintendo's economic goals, goals Nintendo admits were high achieving considering the record set by previously released systems such as the Nintendo DS and Game Boy.

Satoru Iwata: "Nintendo 3DS continued to show strong sales in the Japanese market. The unit sales for Nintendo 3DS in the previous calendar year amounted to approximately 4.9 million units, falling short of our aim of five million units by a small margin. However, as I explained before, given that every gaming device from the year 2000 onwards apart from Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS did not reach sales of four million units even in their peak years, we can say that the sales figure for Nintendo 3DS in the last calendar year was indeed very high."

Nintendo 3DS in the West

Outside of Japan, while Nintendo says its market share has increased through continued releases of top-tier games throughout the year, it's a different story for the handheld, as Nintendo 3DS did not meet sales targets in the overseas markets, and they were ultimately unable to achieve their goal of providing a massive sales boost to Nintendo 3DS in the year-end 2013 sales season. France was the only region Nintendo were able to meet their sales goals in.

Satoru Iwata: "Using the U.S. market as an example, Nintendo 3DS became the top-selling platform in the last calendar year, according to NPD, an independent market research company, with its cumulative sales exceeding 11.5 million units; however, the estimated annual sales of the Nintendo 3DS hardware remain significantly lower than our initial forecast at the beginning of the fiscal year. In Europe, while the individual markets showed different results, France was the only market in which we experienced relatively strong sales, and we failed to attain our initial sales levels by a large margin in other countries."
Wii U in the West

If we were to disregard the months prior to the year-end 2013 sales season, where various top-tier games were released from Summer onwards, ref="http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/nintendo-launches-3-new-wii-u-hardware-bundles-holiday-season-europe/">new hardware bundles were launched at affordable price points, and where Wii U's price dropped in the U.S. and European markets, one could say that Wii U has performed well this year. However, this is not how we look at things. Unfortunately, thanks to a combination of many factors, sales of the Wii U system have fallen short of Nintendo's targeted recovery by a large margin.

Satoru Iwata: "In particular, sales in the U.S. and European markets in which we entered the year-end sales season with a hardware markdown were significantly lower than our original forecasts, with both hardware and software sales experiencing a huge gap from their targets. In addition, we did not assume at the beginning of the fiscal year that we would perform a markdown for the Wii U hardware in the U.S. and European markets. This was also one of the reasons for lower sales and profit estimates."

Fluctuating Currency Rates

Nintendo typically relies on the yen to minimize the impact of costs incurred during it's business, but as the yen has become weaker, so do the efforts of this strategy.

Satoru Iwata: "Also, yen appreciation against the U.S. dollar and euro, which on one hand affects dollar-based and euro-based sales positively, also increases costs incurred in foreign currencies when they are converted to Japanese yen. While the yen remained very strong for a sustained period of time, Nintendo made a concerted effort to pay more of its manufacturing costs in U.S. dollars in order to minimize its impact. However, as the era of the exceedingly strong yen concluded, our domestic business, which had been progressing at a relatively strong pace, has seen an increase in manufacturing costs, while our overseas business, which is yet to reach its full potential, has not fully benefited from the weaker yen yet. In terms of our profitability in the current fiscal year, therefore, we were unable to sufficiently take advantage of the weaker yen."
Increased Promotional and Research & Development Efforts

As Nintendo finally begins to increase their promotional and development efforts, with new advertisement campaigns being initiated and new developmental structures being established among other things, so do their expenses.

Satoru Iwata: "As for advertising expenses, and research and development expense forecasts, we made revisions to increase them by eight billion yen and 15 billion yen respectively from their forecasts made at the beginning of this fiscal year. We expect advertising expenses to increase due to the effect of the expenses incurred in foreign currencies to be converted into Japanese yen by using weaker yen rates. The estimated increase of research and development expenses is based on reflecting our ongoing enhancement of the development structure, and new research and development activities. These increases contributed to lowered estimated profit forecasts."
You can read Nintendo's explanation of the financial forecast and dividends revision in full tp://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/earnings/140117/index.html">here.

Get Ready for Round Two, Iwata is Here to Stayhttp://nintendoenthusiast.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/IwataMiyamotoReggie.jpg
Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has pledged to push on in his struggle to return Nintendo to profitability, Yahoo News reports.

Last year, Iwata had pledged to bring the struggling corporation back on rails to profitability this fiscal year. Instead, the company ended up reducing it's sales forecast, prompting an explanation and an apology to shareholders at a briefing in Osaka. Despite his failure to make his promise a reality, he won't be resigning, at least in the short-term.

"There will be no major management shake-up in the short term," Iwata told reporters.
It’s also worth mentioned that Nintendo last year when through a restructuring, where its home and handheld divisions were united, the fruits of which will not begin to appear until the next financial year.

Ex-Actarus

Iwata NEEDS TO GO !
Wii U and the 3DS strategy have been a FAILURE !!!

Yes even the 3DS !
The system is barely selling more then 15 million a year, it's half what the DS use to do.
On software front, it's even worse ! Games are NOT SELLING. Even the big Nintendo games on 3DS sold CONSIDERABLY less than the DS versions.

The Wii U, where to even start...
3rd party support ? There is NONE !
Games ? ALWAYS the same OLD franchise !
No tentative WHATSOEVER to attract a different audience.
You're sport fan ? Wii U not for U.
You're a FPS fan ? Wii U not for U
You're a RPG fan ? Wii U not for U
GTA fan ? Wii U not for U.

And trust me, Smash 4 and Mario Kart 8 WON'T CHANGE THE SITUATION.
Smash and Mario Kart were already on N64 and GC and those consoles FAILED !
So don't expect Nintendo to leave the 3rd spot anytime soon.
The Wii U is already DEAD in Europe
So there is just Japan where 3rd party support is even worse than in west ; and US where Xbox brand is extremely strong and where Sony will make gains with the PS4.
Iwata "stupid" arrogant vision that more Mario and Zelda would be enough and 3rd party support doesn't matter failed miserably.
In ANY other company he would have been fired, I don't see why it should different with Nitnendo.

This is SO FRUSTRATING has Nintendo has SO MUCH potential... :(

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Nah Iwata is staying and I think it's a good thing. Your looking at it from a Western perspective, and they have no cares for all that.

Ex-Actarus

So it looks like the Wii U sales for December were somewhere in between 460K and 643K (unless it outsold the PS4 which is unlikely), making it the best month for the Wii U in the US ever. If you combine this with the data from Japan (around 370K) and the VGC data from EU (around 222K) with the NPD data from the US you get at least 1052-1235K sold WW in Dec Also VGC likely undertrack EU data as they undertracked US data.
That's a bad month !
When you're selling less console in the 2nd year than the Gamecube, I don't HOW ON EARTH this could be considered good...

Makes me wonder if the rumored partnership with Atlus and Namco is true. Was reading a rumor of the next ND. If so that would be cool since it also said a Atlus X Pokemon spinoff.

That's a bad month !
When you're selling less console in the 2nd year than the Gamecube, I don't HOW ON EARTH this could be considered good...
Is it really the second year? It was only out for 2 months in 2012. Should this be the second year we are in?

Nah, they aren't failing. Their predicted operating loss is lower this year than it was last year, which was lower in comparison to the year before that. They're coming out of the ditch slowly, but surely. They could always be doing better, but they are not doing as bad as you say Ex. You're blowing it out of proportion as usual.

I have no issue with Iwata staying on board, but Nintendo needs to give a bit more autonomy to their foreign markets. Specifically financial autonomy but they need to also be able to run the Nintendo products the way they wish to. Whether it be pricing on the eShop or the exclusivity deals they sign, they need a state of mind that doesn't come from Japan. That's nothing against Japan. They still make the majority of great decisions for Nintendo. But there's just some decisions made especially on the Wii U that a North American input for the North American market just wouldn't have made.

The system is barely selling more then 15 million a year, it's half what the DS use to do.
This is the kind of thinking that crippled the Playstation 3 for several years of its lifecycle.
The greatest selling game systems of all time are the PS2 and the DS. It's a nice concept to believe you're always going to outsell your last creation but a lot of things change.
This is a problem with public companies. The focus should always be on making profits with what you have, not outselling what you did before.
DS was a phenomenon unlike anything since the first GameBoy and it outsold that. To expect the 3DS to do the same, just because it's stronger, is asinine. Unfortunately, that's just how people think and how public companies are driven to do. Thankfully in Japan, they don't lay off the moment sales are not as successful as expected.

About Iwata staying in charge, I really don't know how to respond to that. He's in charge because he apparently still has more initiatives to see through. No amount of complaining will change that. If he ends up driving the company into the ground by failing to return them to profitability. Then oh well I guess. It's a tired topic.
We've also already talked about what constitutes a failure. Make no mistake, the 3DS isn't failing. It's just failing to meet Nintendo's individual goals. The whole purpose of having two systems for Nintendo was to be able to double dip or have one system as a back up just in case the other was causing them losses. Nintendo probably didn't expect that the performance difference between the Wii U and the 3DS would be so big. In other words, Wii U, at least for this fiscal year as a whole, has been doing worse than what the 3DS could make up for.
EDIT: @Ex-Actarus Also, if the 3DS is a failure, what does that make the PS4?
A simple glance a the catalog of games announced for 2014 compared to what was announced in 2013 will tell you that this year will probably be Nintendo best year for what it's worth. Here are some key things to note:
It’s also worth mentioned that Nintendo last year when through a restructuring, where its home and handheld divisions were united, the fruits of which will not begin to appear until the next financial year.

Increased Promotional and Research & Development Efforts

As Nintendo finally begins to increase their promotional and development efforts, with new advertisement campaigns being initiated and new developmental structures being established among other things, so do their expenses.

Satoru Iwata: "As for advertising expenses, and research and development expense forecasts, we made revisions to increase them by eight billion yen and 15 billion yen respectively from their forecasts made at the beginning of this fiscal year. We expect advertising expenses to increase due to the effect of the expenses incurred in foreign currencies to be converted into Japanese yen by using weaker yen rates. The estimated increase of research and development expenses is based on reflecting our ongoing enhancement of the development structure, and new research and development activities. These increases contributed to lowered estimated profit forecasts."
You can read Nintendo's explanation of the financial forecast and dividends revision in full here.
From reading this, it seems that Nintendo's marketing afford is looking to continue into the this new year, which could only mean good things compared to last year, where there was no advertising effort.
The consolidation of the Nintendo's divisions and the construction of new buildings will probably allow Nintendo to pump out games faster will less cost being incurred.
Hopefully we get to see the fruits of this in a Nintendo Direct or at E3.

That's a bad month !
Gamecube had more software.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
It's not great, but we all already knew those sales targets were not going to be reached. No sense in hyper-ventilating over it now (or at all, really). We all knew the system didn't pick up its pace until near the end of September with the WW bundle and price drops; you don't match full calendar-year projections when you don't bother trying to sell the system for 8 damn months.

But sales did pick up once they started giving people bigger name software, they actually have a good slate of incoming games for this year, and they somehow still managed to forecast an operating profit. We'll see how 2014 fares with them actually trying to sell the Wii U, something they sloughed off on for most of 2013.

Ex-Actarus

Nintendo's fucking retarded for keeping this guy in charge.
I don't see how Iwata will still be onboard.
- He has nothing to propose as far 3rd party relationship goes.
- He has already closed the door to mobile gaming.
- Has hasn't done anything specific to take advantage of the incredible catalogue. The virtual console on Wii U is A JOKE.
- The online strategy is terrible
I really don't see what he can do with his narrow minded view.

Nintendo CLEALY needs to think out of the Box.
The more same Nintendo games and franchises DOES NOT WORK.
Iwata is NOT the person to lead huge structural change in Nintendo.
As far as I'm concerned Iwata - Miyamoto needs BOTH to step down.

Ex-Actarus

It's not great, but we all already knew those sales targets were not going to be reached. No sense in hyper-ventilating over it now (or at all, really). We all knew the system didn't pick up its pace until near the end of September with the WW bundle and price drops; you don't match full calendar-year projections when you don't bother trying to sell the system for 8 damn months.

But sales did pick up once they started giving people bigger name software, they actually have a good slate of incoming games for this year, and they somehow still managed to forecast an operating profit. We'll see how 2014 fares with them actually trying to sell the Wii U, something they sloughed off on for most of 2013.

Sales picked up as they did with the Gamecube and the N64.
It was due more to seasonnality than anything else really.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
- Has hasn't done anything specific to take advantage of the incredible catalogue. The virtual console on Wii U is A JOKE.

Ima keep this simple.

1. Yes they got 3rd party, but with Japanese company's.

2. The door for Mobil gaming is wide open, does the 3DS seem teathered? Isn't it "mobil?"? Don't give you competiteres your products business 101.

3. The virtual console I totally agree. They just need to dump every single game they have on this thing. So yes I agree

4. The online is fine. We play online with each other almost every night on this site. It works better than Xbox live (yes I paid for that service for 3 years) and it's free.

5. I don't know why you think there thinking is so narrow. It's very different, but effective from Western company's. Possibly why you don't understand it.

6. There the only company that does think outside the box, with controller inputs. They take risk trying to hit Wii / DS status again. This round could be not the right strategy. I applaud them for atleast trying.

7. Iwata IMO leads better than the CEOs from the other company's. Why? Have you seen the money sheet? Nintendo is about to hit the red for only the 2nd time in 20+ years. The other 2 company's are billions in the red for there video game divisions. Yet Nintendo is the only ones who are heavily "doomed". Come on man, that's clearly a double standerd.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
The 2.8 million seems a tad bit low to me (since that's only 200K away with 12 weeks remaining), I wouldn't be surprised if they're actually purposely underestimating just so it'll look better come the end of March. One thing is for sure though: Mario Kart 8 won't be coming out until at least April.

That's a bad month !
For the Wii U? 1+ million WW in a month is amazing. For nearly everything else besides the Vita, yeah it's bad.

Nintendo's platforms live and die by the content NINTENDO makes for it. Hence why their platforms die when they stop making content for it. Downturn in sales is largely in due to being at saturation point. 3DS has been up year on year worldwide, things are taking longer than nintendo expected to push certain things along,hence the 2DS. Animal crossing drove a large amount of hardware sales two years ago in Japan. Off the backs of animal crossing alone, with a pretty tepid early year. I think its incorrect to think it "peeked" with animal crossing in Japan. I think it'll be up again this year, but still less than the animal crossing year because that platform sells gangbusters.

They need to establish a good ecosystem for third parties with their titles.
They've already made steps with this with the indies and others.

They're ramping up 3DS software production and WiiU software production.
3DS is already following in the footsteps of the Game Boy Advance at a
higher price point

The way it is, either Nintendo goes the way of fox news, or they find their breakthrough

Ima keep this simple.

1. Yes they got 3rd party, but with Japanese company's.

2. The door for Mobil gaming is wide open, does the 3DS seem teathered?
Isn't it "mobil?"? Don't give you competiteres your products business

3. The virtual console I totally agree. They just need to dump every
single game they have on this thing. So yes I agree

4. The online is fine. We play online with each other almost every night
on this site. It works better than Xbox live (yes I paid for that
service for 3 years) and it's free.

5. I don't know why you think there thinking is so narrow. It's very
different, but effective from Western company's. Possibly why you don't
understand it.

6. There the only company that does think outside the box, with
controller inputs. They take risk trying to hit Wii / DS status again.
This round could be not the right strategy. I applaud them for atleast
trying.

7. Iwata IMO leads better than the CEOs from the other company's. Why?
Have you seen the money sheet? Nintendo is about to hit the red for only
the 2nd time in 20+ years. The other 2 company's are billions in the
red for there video game divisions. Yet Nintendo is the only ones who
are heavily "doomed". Come on man, that's clearly a double standerd.

I want to keep it in mind that an "operation loss does not equate to being in the red. Just your profits for the quarter getting screwed over

Nintendo's spending money on making games and advertisements right now so they

I also think its disingenuous to ignore just how successful a platform the 3DS is at growing Nintendo's franchise sales. The 3DS has over 28 worldwide million sellers and record sales for Animal crossing of all things.That still shows that animal crossing can appeal to two audiences that Im not a part of in any form or fashion. Lol. Quite different with Brain training and the other "touch" line up of games. People who want small experiences are serviced by those. Puzzle and Dragons Z is also selling gangbusters. I expect to see ALBW 900k for lifetime in Japan and Kirby Triple Deluxe to be a million seller as well. Then the damn thing also has Smash Brothers. And Monster Hunter 4 is tracking head to head with MP3rd. The top selling game in that franchise. And the series has finally gained traction in the west.

Atlus selling 100k copies of SMT 4 physically is record sales for the series (in the states, it broke the Japanese records too). EO4 is preforming above its DS predecessors, shit even Project X Zone is too.

Ex-Actarus

Is change coming ? Iwata said ( from Gaf ) :Given the expansion of smart devices, we are naturally studying how smart devices can be used to grow the game-player business. It's not as simple as enabling Mario to move on a smartphone."