Wii U / 3DS sales thread

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Is change coming ? Iwata said ( from Gaf ) :
Given the expansion of smart devices, we are naturally studying how smart devices can be used to grow the game-player business. It's not as simple as enabling Mario to move on a smartphone.
"

I suppose one option would be to release a Nintendo app, which includes all things about their games (so photos, videos, etc), their hardware (details of them), and even some history. And just maybe even include small little demos of some games to get people interested in their platforms.
But I agree that compared to some people who think Nintendo should jsut outright go third party, or release games on mobile devices (forgetting that the 3DS/2DS ARE fricking mobile devices)
Also, this thread on D1P paints a worse picture than what it actually is, but anyway:
http://www.dayonepatch.com/index.php?/topic/100259-nintendo-finally-confirms-the-wiiu-is-a-flop/

Ex-Actarus

Nintendo's fucking retarded for keeping this guy in charge.

I don't see how Iwata will still be onboard.
- He has nothing to propose as far 3rd party relationship goes.
- He has already closed the door to mobile gaming.
- Has hasn't done anything specific to take advantage of the incredible catalogue. The virtual console on Wii U is A JOKE.
- The online strategy is terrible
I really don't see what he can do with his narrow minded view.

Nintendo CLEALY needs to think out of the Box.
The more same Nintendo games and franchises DOES NOT WORK.
Iwata is NOT the person to lead huge structural change in Nintendo.
As far as I'm concerned Iwata - Miyamoto needs BOTH to step down.
Nintendo's platforms live and die by the content NINTENDO makes for it. Hence why their platforms die when they stop making content for it. Downturn in sales is largely in due to being at saturation point. 3DS has been up year on year worldwide, things are taking longer than nintendo expected to push certain things along,hence the 2DS. Animal crossing drove a large amount of hardware sales two years ago in Japan. Off the backs of animal crossing alone, with a pretty tepid early year. I think its incorrect to think it "peeked" with animal crossing in Japan. I think it'll be up again this year, but still less than the animal crossing year because that platform sells gangbusters.

They need to establish a good ecosystem for third parties with their titles.
They've already made steps with this with the indies and others.

They're ramping up 3DS software production and WiiU software production.
3DS is already following in the footsteps of the Game Boy Advance at a
higher price point

The way it is, either Nintendo goes the way of fox news, or they find their breakthrough
- Has hasn't done anything specific to take advantage of the incredible catalogue. The virtual console on Wii U is A JOKE.

Ima keep this simple.

1. Yes they got 3rd party, but with Japanese company's.

2. The door for Mobil gaming is wide open, does the 3DS seem teathered?
Isn't it "mobil?"? Don't give you competiteres your products business

3. The virtual console I totally agree. They just need to dump every
single game they have on this thing. So yes I agree

4. The online is fine. We play online with each other almost every night
on this site. It works better than Xbox live (yes I paid for that service for 3 years) and it's free.

5. I don't know why you think there thinking is so narrow. It's very
different, but effective from Western company's. Possibly why you don't
understand it.

6. There the only company that does think outside the box, with
controller inputs. They take risk trying to hit Wii / DS status again.
This round could be not the right strategy. I applaud them for atleast
trying.

7. Iwata IMO leads better than the CEOs from the other company's. Why?
Have you seen the money sheet? Nintendo is about to hit the red for only
the 2nd time in 20+ years. The other 2 company's are billions in the
red for there video game divisions. Yet Nintendo is the only ones who
are heavily "doomed". Come on man, that's clearly a double standerd.

I want to keep it in mind that an "operation loss does not equate to being in the red. Just your profits for the quarter getting screwed over

Nintendo's spending money on making games and advertisements right now so they

I also think its disingenuous to ignore just how successful a platform the 3DS is at growing Nintendo's franchise sales. The 3DS has over 28 worldwide million sellers and record sales for Animal crossing of all things.That still shows that animal crossing can appeal to two audiences that Im not a part of in any form or fashion. Lol. Quite different with Brain training and the other "touch" line up of games. People who want small experiences are serviced by those. Puzzle and Dragons Z is also selling gangbusters. I expect to see ALBW 900k for lifetime in Japan and Kirby Triple Deluxe to be a million seller as well. Then the damn thing also has Smash Brothers. And Monster Hunter 4 is tracking head to head with MP3rd. The top selling game in that franchise. And the series has finally gained traction in the west.

Atlus selling 100k copies of SMT 4 physically is record sales for the series (in the states, it broke the Japanese records too). EO4 is preforming above its DS predecessors, shit even Project X Zone is too.

Laer,
Let's put it that way. You see the glass half full, I see it half empty.
I'm not saying Nintendo is going to disappear and that there is no hope.
I'm saying the current Nintendo strategy : " Nintendo softwares will sell hardwares
" FAILED.
Period.
The 3DS is doing... OK !!!
That's a Nintendo handheld, Nintendo handheld are supposed to sell gangbusters. It DID NOT.
The 2DS was supposed to help the 3DS explode, but the 3DS salea are LOWER than last year, in the US and in Japan.
That means that the "Pokemon effect" DID NOT WORK.
13 millions 3DS for the year, with Pokemon and the 2DS price point is a disappointement.>
Same thing with the Wii U :
- Wind Waker HD and an incredible 3D Mario platformer praised by the critics.
- A price cut and new bundles.
This should have been a winning combo, but IT DID NOT WORK.
Nintendo was aiming to sell 9 million Wii Us and they are going to sell... less than 3 million ???
This is forecast fiasco of epic proportion. Never seen Nintendo miss the number by such an isane margin... NEVER !!!
The plan was to drive hardware sales in order to bring 3rd party support back.
HOW ON EARTH THEY'RE GOING TO WIN 3RD PARTY SUPPORT WITH SUCH DISASTROUS SALES ???
THEY WON'T
!!!

It's back to the drawing board for Iwata and Co.
The Nintendo softwares to sell hardware strategy is history...
They need something else.
They will find a solution - AS USUAL - but I don't think Iwata is the man for it.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
It did not work, yet. Don't get me wrong at this point it's not great. It can turn around cause we can't see the future.

I won't argue you tho. You are more than welcome to see the glass half empty.

Ex-Actarus

@imthesoldier,
It's time for Nintendo to do as EVERY SINGLE OTHER DEVELOPER ON THE PLANET : bring games on mobile platforms.
It is STUPID and a total NONSENSE business wise not to do it.
The likes of EA, Square, Capcom, Sega and others managed to balanced lower than expected software sales by great performance on mobile devices.
Again, Iwata is missing the point.
The idea is not to bring Super Mario 3D land on mobile devices ( I wouldn't be against that anyway ), but for Nintendo to create ORIGINAL content for that market. The strenght of the Nintendo brand would make wonders.
I aslo think that the next handheld should be a mobile phone hybrid.
Imagine a Galaxy Nintendo device ? I would really see Nintendo partner with a giant like Samsung in order attrach a larger market that handheld could do.
Finally, I think Nintendo would need to have a Cloud strategy. They need to work with a partner ( why not Amazon Web Services ), in order to propose something as Playstation Now.
If Nintendo was to make that, they would make BILLIONS easily !!!

Ex-Actarus

It did not work, yet. Don't get me wrong at this point it's not great. It can turn around cause we can't see the future.

I won't argue you tho. You are more than welcome to see the glass half empty.
I respect your enthusiasm.
But come on, even Iwata said that they need a serious change !
The current formula is not working.
Smash and Mario Kart will boost sales for a while and then it will be back to low level sales for until the holiday period.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Here's my thing tho Ex.

They do need to change, and I'm sure they will. What if then it all turns into gangbusters?

I don't wanna be negative or positive really. Just realistic that anything can happen. And I got thoughts that it's gonna be alright for Nintendo.

Ex-Actarus

You know in a way I think these bad sales are a good thing. It's a wake up call !!!
Nintendo is in my view in the same situation as Sony was post PS2 era.
They believed that the PS3 will just fly of the shelves because ot was the PS2 successor.
It did not.
Nintendo assumed that because you have a Pokemon, Mario and Zelda games during the holiday, sales would explode ( I believed that to ). It did not work.
The videogame business has evolved a lot and Nintendo refused to address some of those evolutions.
Again, as the Biggest and Best videogame company in the world, could you REALLY ignore the potential of videogames on mobile devices ? Seriously !!!
You Kodak pretty much died because they REFUSED to consider the emergence of the Digital...
I'm just sayin...

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
There in direct competion with Mobil gaming. I wouldn't put my products in there stores. Cause that means "well I don't have to buy a Nintendo console now" (which traditionally in the past has ment profit).

I think it's crazy as hell X1 has a blu-ray. I he damn if I give Sony 1 red cent for using there product. Why do you think Sony congradulated them on a successful launch?

I would pat there ass too if I was getting paid from each from each of there console paid.

Nintendo doesn't (and shouldn't) get into this with Mobil gaming (smartphones) but make them products work for them.

Nintendo's platforms live and die by the content NINTENDO makes for it. Hence why their platforms die when they stop making content for it. Downturn in sales is largely in due to being at saturation point. 3DS has been up year on year worldwide, things are taking longer than nintendo expected to push certain things along,hence the 2DS. Animal crossing drove a large amount of hardware sales two years ago in Japan. Off the backs of animal crossing alone, with a pretty tepid early year. I think its incorrect to think it "peeked" with animal crossing in Japan. I think it'll be up again this year, but still less than the animal crossing year because that platform sells gangbusters.

They need to establish a good ecosystem for third parties with their titles.
They've already made steps with this with the indies and others.

They're ramping up 3DS software production and WiiU software production.
3DS is already following in the footsteps of the Game Boy Advance at a
higher price point

The way it is, either Nintendo goes the way of fox news, or they find their breakthrough

Ima keep this simple.

1. Yes they got 3rd party, but with Japanese company's.

2. The door for Mobil gaming is wide open, does the 3DS seem teathered?
Isn't it "mobil?"? Don't give you competiteres your products business

3. The virtual console I totally agree. They just need to dump every
single game they have on this thing. So yes I agree

4. The online is fine. We play online with each other almost every nighton this site. It works better than Xbox live (yes I paid for that
service for 3 years) and it's free.

5. I don't know why you think there thinking is so narrow. It's very
different, but effective from Western company's. Possibly why you don't
understand it.

6. There the only company that does think outside the box, with
controller inputs. They take risk trying to hit Wii / DS status again.
This round could be not the right strategy. I applaud them for atleast
trying.

7. Iwata IMO leads better than the CEOs from the other company's. Why?
Have you seen the money sheet? Nintendo is about to hit the red for only
the 2nd time in 20+ years. The other 2 company's are billions in the
red for there video game divisions. Yet Nintendo is the only ones who
are heavily "doomed". Come on man, that's clearly a double standerd.

I want to keep it in mind that an "operation loss does not equate to being in the red. Just your profits for the quarter getting screwed over

Nintendo's spending money on making games and advertisements right now so they

I also think its disingenuous to ignore just how successful a platform the 3DS is at growing Nintendo's franchise sales. The 3DS has over 28 worldwide million sellers and record sales for Animal crossing of all things.That still shows that animal crossing can appeal to two audiences that Im not a part of in any form or fashion. Lol. Quite different with Brain training and the other "touch" line up of games. People who want small experiences are serviced by those. Puzzle and Dragons Z is also selling gangbusters. I expect to see ALBW 900k for lifetime in Japan and Kirby Triple Deluxe to be a million seller as well. Then the damn thing also has Smash Brothers. And Monster Hunter 4 is tracking head to head with MP3rd. The top selling game in that franchise. And the series has finally gained traction in the west.

Atlus selling 100k copies of SMT 4 physically is record sales for the series (in the states, it broke the Japanese records too). EO4 is preforming above its DS predecessors, shit even Project X Zone is too.

Laer,
Let's put it that way. You see the glass half full, I see it half empty.
I'm not saying Nintendo is going to disappear and that there is no hope.
I'm saying the current Nintendo strategy : " Nintendo softwares will sell hardwares
" FAILED.
Period.
The 3DS is doing... OK !!!
That's a Nintendo handheld, Nintendo handheld are supposed to sell gangbusters. It DID NOT.
The 2DS was supposed to help the 3DS explode, but the 3DS salea are LOWER than last year, in the US and in Japan.
That means that the "Pokemon effect" DID NOT WORK.
13 millions 3DS for the year, with Pokemon and the 2DS price point is a disappointement.
Same thing with the Wii U :
- Wind Waker HD and an incredible 3D Mario platformer praised by the critics.
- A price cut and new bundles.
This should have been a winning combo, but IT DID NOT WORK.
Nintendo was aiming to sell 9 million Wii Us and they are going to sell... less than 3 million ???
This is forecast fiasco of epic proportion. Never seen Nintendo miss the number by such an isane margin... NEVER !!!
The plan was to drive hardware sales in order to bring 3rd party support back.
HOW ON EARTH THEY'RE GOING TO WIN 3RD PARTY SUPPORT WITH SUCH DISASTROUS SALES ???
THEY WON'T
!!!

It's back to the drawing board for Iwata and Co.
The Nintendo softwares to sell hardware strategy is history...
They need something else.
They will find a solution - AS USUAL - but I don't think Iwata is the man for it. Where do you see 3DS sales are lower in the US compared to last year? 2DS is selling 30% of 3DS systems. People like the XL. 2DS was also sold out alot.
New consoles also come out. 3DS is still more costly than the GBA and its tracking with the GBA. GBA also had a more tightly compact software ratio with certain franchises. More games released in the west as well. Nintendo's goal was to increase western sales. Was 3DS down yoy globablly? No it seems to be pushing 13.5 million + every year. So they need to keep pushing software till it hits critical mass. People just dont think Nintendo doesnt have system selling products anymore

Imo the case is still very much Software sells hardware. Xbox One has a higher attache rate for that very same reason. Apparently Sony's shitty metacritic first party titles actually do have some effect. The biggest problem Im seeing with Nintendo right now is Europe. UK's more price sensitive so 3DS isnt increasing exponentially yet. So it needs more software. Different kinds of software.

If you look at Nintendo's current output in the west its very much more stuff from last generation for the more enthusiast gamer. These titles have all broken past records. Shit just look at SMT 4 and Animal Crossing go.

Where do you think games like pokemon come from? Creative devs flexxing their muscles and being in the correct place at the correct time. Then great execution.

And since you're talking about the "pokemon" effect when it comes to pokemon, it pushes more hardware beyond the initial spurt in the subsequent year. Thats what it did on the GBA and that's what it did for the DS. *points at 2007 ds*

The other pokemon effect is what we call late game phenomena

And why're you worried about third party support when the 3DS has a higher attache rate than the DS? 3DS's weakest territory is Europe, where it has the least software and the highest prices?

SMT: record series sales
Fire Emblem: Record series sales
Super Mario 3D Land: Beast nearly there with Galaxy, sold way more in Japan
Donkey Kong, Freaking remake pushing hardware
MH4: On pace to outsell MP3rd

For third party and Nintendo the 3DS is a great device for GROWING titles.

Why the hyperbole

Ex, I ask you how is Mobile going to help nintendo's bottom line?

When Sega went third party people were claiming it'd be the end of EA.

You only do well on mobile when you're big as hell.
First putting Mario on there for the right price point and from the correct control standpoint is time consuming to begin with.

Do Sony's mobile titles do insanely well? Fuck no. Puzzles and Dragons makes more. And its on the 3DS lol

Does Rayman Jungle run bring milkshakes to Ubisoft's Yard?

Virtual console games would be even worse on the phones. Nintendo needs to focus on their OWN devices first

"Nintendo needs to sell
759.319.667 games per year at 5 $ in the App Store to account for the
same hardware revenue. And 30 % goes to Apple."

You know in a way I think these bad sales are a good thing. It's a wake up call !!!
Nintendo is in my view in the same situation as Sony was post PS2 era.
They believed that the PS3 will just fly of the shelves because ot was the PS2 successor.
It did not.
Nintendo assumed that because you have a Pokemon, Mario and Zelda games during the holiday, sales would explode ( I believed that to ). It did not work.
The videogame business has evolved a lot and Nintendo refused to address some of those evolutions.
Again, as the Biggest and Best videogame company in the world, could you REALLY ignore the potential of videogames on mobile devices ? Seriously !!!
You Kodak pretty much died because they REFUSED to consider the emergence of the Digital...
I'm just sayin...
Nintendo's a company that adapts. What they did with the WiiU was try to go right with a device that goes left and it left them in a mess, they're course correcting and made some much needed changes.

But I ask you this, Nintendo's run small for a reason, that's sort of counter productive to having NOA run by Iwata but you know, NOE's much better run. UK sucks tho. So I pose the question of just what is Satoru doing in NOA? Looking for a new CEO? He going to Austraila next?

NIntendo has a bunch of second parties they work with so they can stay small internally and manage everything from their 15 or so first party studios

Shoulder

@imthesoldier,
It's time for Nintendo to do as EVERY SINGLE OTHER DEVELOPER ON THE PLANET : bring games on mobile platforms.
The likes of EA, Square, Capcom, Sega and others managed to balanced lower than expected software sales by great performance on mobile devices.
The idea is not to bring Super Mario 3D land on mobile devices ( I wouldn't be against that anyway ), but for Nintendo to create ORIGINAL content for that market. The strenght of the Nintendo brand would make wonders.
Imagine a Galaxy Nintendo device ? I would really see Nintendo partner with a giant like Samsung in order attrach a larger market that handheld could do.
Finally, I think Nintendo would need to have a Cloud strategy. They need to work with a partner ( why not Amazon Web Services ), in order to propose something as Playstation Now.

Alright then. If you think Nintendo should create original content on mobile devices, then you have to say the same thing for Sony and Microsoft as well. Why should Nintendo be the only ones in the console industry to go Mobile?

@imthesoldier,

Alright then. If you think Nintendo should create original content on mobile devices, then you have to say the same thing for Sony and Microsoft as well. Why should Nintendo be the only ones in the console industry to go Mobile?
They are doing it. And they suck.

Sony's idea is to stop and make full on PS3 games play via streaming on it.

Bottom line: Needs more games.

If Nintendo reacts to these poor sales figures like they did with the 3DS, those of us who are Wii U owners (myself included) are in for an awesome 2015 and beyond.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
There in direct competion with Mobil gaming. I wouldn't put my products in there stores. Cause that means "well I don't have to buy a Nintendo console now" (which traditionally in the past has ment profit).

I think it's crazy as hell X1 has a blu-ray. I he damn if I give Sony 1 red cent for using there product. Why do you think Sony congradulated them on a successful launch?

I would pat there ass too if I was getting paid from each from each of there console paid.

Nintendo doesn't (and shouldn't) get into this with Mobil gaming (smartphones) but make them products work for them.

This all day long!

Nintendo cannot and should not put their products on mobile devices. Defeats the purpose of having Nintendo consoles.

This all day long!

Nintendo cannot and should not put their products on mobile devices. Defeats the purpose of having Nintendo consoles.
What close minded way of thinking.
Nintendo SHOULD put their games on smart phones. Do you have any idea how profitable it would be for them? They are in a shitty situation, barely making any money, and it's time for them to turn in a profit.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
"Barely making money"

Hmmmmm well seems like the company is making money then =))

But yeah Nintendo go ahead and make "original software" for smartphones, whenever you don't even make "new IPs" for your own hardware you built. 8-}

Man I hope many of you guys never go into business :-SS

sjmartin79

Nintendo SHOULD put their games on smart phones. Do you have any idea how profitable it would be for them? They are in a shitty situation, barely making any money, and it's time for them to turn in a profit.

You do understand how Nintendo's business model works, right? They make consoles, then they make games for consoles. Then people buy Nintendo consoles to play said games on those consoles. It would water down the brand if they began releasing games on mobile devices. What would be the point of buying Nintendo consoles if you could get the games somewhere else. Even if you are creating new games that are only found on mobile devices, it is a slippery slope to begin with.

You do understand how Nintendo's business model works, right? They make consoles, then they make games for consoles. Then people buy Nintendo consoles to play said games on those consoles. It would water down the brand if they began releasing games on mobile devices. What would be the point of buying Nintendo consoles if you could get the games somewhere else. Even if you are creating new games that are only found on mobile devices, it is a slippery slope to begin with.

Just because that's how they've always done it, it doesn't mean that's how they need to keep doing it.
Ignorance at its finest.
Mark my words... Nintendo games will be on smart phones in the near future.

sjmartin79

Just because that's how they've always done it, it doesn't mean that's how they need to keep doing it.
Ignorance at its finest.
Mark my words... Nintendo games will be on smart phones in the near future.

Mark my words, sooner or later (most likely sooner) we'll all stop responding to your trolling posts.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I swear some people seem to just say things, and will stick to it, just so they can be deemed "I told ya so".

So play this game with me. If Nintendo does go to smartphones, do you win? If so what do you win?

And if they don't what do I win?

Here's what needs to happen. Everyone needs to chill out and play games on there console, or smart devise of choice. Cause none of this is going anywhere.

It's Nintendos decisions to make. You can predict all days long. And it won't matter lol

EDIT: Obviously people aren't gonna change there minds on how they feel. So doom on fellas, ima play some games.

This all day long!

You're on the internet far too long because Nintendo had its first ever fiscal year of loss in 2012 then made a 72 million dollar profit next year

Is their operation eating into their profits? Undoubtedly. Nintendo go themselves into an unprecedented situation and now people are fearing they'll become irrelevant if they dont do a or b or c. Meanwhile they're sitting back, watching and waiting like a snake.

You're basically saying Nintendo should put all their games on a really popular open platform like the PC. Nintendo doesnt go to mobile because they're concerned about their profitability. If they stop selling hardware they have to sell 10 times the software and give 30% to Apple then whatever else licensing fees manufactures start implementing
Why would you want Nintendo to hijack the smartphone market? So that their money goes to apple and they do shit with it?
The only one benefiting from that is investors. Not Nintendo.
They like storing away money and paying investors their dividends back

The funny thing is their forecasted software sales for the Wii was 6 million higher than what they thought it'd be and now they intentionally lowered their forecast super low.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BdMjK0PIYAAQWfn.jpg

Nintendo's managed to avoid any severe decline in value or profit for the remainder of their existence, while the Japanese economy and every other company/industry suffers from heavy decline.

Coming down from the heights of the Wii era ( which they should have road for longer than they did, but 3DS decided it was going to be a problem child and that cawked up the WiiU schedule too) ( where their value was nearly 80 billion ) They stayed pretty constant and manage to keep no debts. With Nintendo you buy cheap and play the long way with it.

Why would they endanger their revenue streams? They're not going to be bigger than puzzle and dragons and they already sell merchandise. Nintendo right now needs to double down and focus on the WiiU and 3DS

Rovio's profits keep dropping and dropping and dropping. That's why the sell you 150$ go karts in your fucking mobile game.

GamingFreak1988

The Platformer Guru
If nintendo was to decide to put their old games on a phone, they could probably get away with charging a high premium for them, while at the same time having them cheaper on their consoles to try and push people to their system.

Doesnt work that well for Square Enix^

And even so that still doesnt make them nearly as much money as it would on their platforms in the grand scheme of things long term.

People want them to go the guitar hero route and its fucking stupid

Ex-Actarus

Ex, I ask you how is Mobile going to help nintendo's bottom line?

When Sega went third party people were claiming it'd be the end of EA.

You only do well on mobile when you're big as hell.
First putting Mario on there for the right price point and from the correct control standpoint is time consuming to begin with.

Do Sony's mobile titles do insanely well? Fuck no. Puzzles and Dragons makes more. And its on the 3DS lol

Does Rayman Jungle run bring milkshakes to Ubisoft's Yard?

Virtual console games would be even worse on the phones. Nintendo needs to focus on their OWN devices first

"Nintendo needs to sell
759.319.667 games per year at 5 $ in the App Store to account for the
same hardware revenue. And 30 % goes to Apple."

Just take a look at the business made by 3rd party devs on mobile devices.

They are making hundred of millions !

- In Q2, EA did more than 100 million dollars on mobile ONLY

- Sega boosted its profits by 400% thanks to mobile games.

- Square Enix financial were also helped by mobile gaming.

So YES, mobile gaming is a lucrative business.

I'm 100% sure Sega made more profits on mobile devices with free to play Sonic games than they did with Sonic Lost Worlds on Wii U...

It is stupid to ONLY propose games on Vitual Console when the Wii U is not selling...

Square Enix have been sucessful with premium pricing on mobile devices, why the hell Nintendo would fail ???

EA : http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/29/ea-beats-in-fq2-with-non-gaap-revenue-of-1-04b-and-eps-of-0-33-raises-earnings-guidance/

Sega : http://www.develop-online.net/news/sega-sammy-profits-up-400/0115509

Square Enix : http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-11-06-square-enix-back-in-the-black-as-a-new-era-dawns

Shoulder

If Nintendo were to put old games on mobile devices, they would nowhere near control as well due to the touchscreen controls. Touchscreen only controls for a game that was designed with controllers in mind is like watching a porn film that's been edited to be shown on national tv.

Ex-Actarus

If Nintendo were to put old games on mobile devices, they would nowhere near control as well due to the touchscreen controls. Touchscreen only controls for a game that was designed with controllers in mind is like watching a porn film that's been edited to be shown on national tv.

Square Enix games on mobile prove the contrary.

Some games could easily be transfered on mobile devices : Pokemon, Brain games, Wii Fit, Harmoknights, Electroplankton, Mario Kart, Mario tennis, etc...

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

Square Enix games on mobile prove otherwise.
Square is a 3rd party company. There goal should be to put out the most software everywhere.
What should be said is "why isn't Square on a Nintendo console so they can make even more profits".
Nintendo is not 3rd party, SO they don't have to whore themselves out. :)>-

Sega's also on the Pc market. And they're the ones driving caution regarding mobile. They're also concerned with its longevity.

EA meanwhile is in the league with the big ones. With a shit ton of games everywhere. Even in Japan

I prefer honest breakdown of where all the money goes because I see companies losing more and more money as the years go by.

Though the weirdest things started happening in Japan. Flip phones are coming back into style. Lol. Smartphone penetration should still be 60% but you gotta think man.

Square Enix throws a lot of things at mobile. And I mean alot. And some of them have pretty crappy profits. But they throw so much at it anyway.

Bet all that mobile dev is why they're outsourcing FF15.

Ex-Actarus

Square is a 3rd party company. There goal should be to put out the most software everywhere.
What should be said is "why isn't Square on a Nintendo console so they can make even more profits".

It's about Survival..

Nintendo has been around for more than 100 years, because they were able to ADAPT.

They wiil go on mobile devices that you like it or not :)

It makes business sense !

Period.

Square Enix games on mobile prove the contrary.

Some games could easily be transfered on mobile devices : Pokemon, Brain games, Wii Fit, Harmoknights, Electroplankton, Mario Kart, Mario tennis, etc...
Square Enix's game dont prove contrary. People hate the Dragon Quest games controls.
Nintendo needs to strengthen their own hardware. Not weaken it. You help yourself first.

Nintendo's not on mobile because it doesnt make business sense to themselves, they know far more about their bottom line than you do.

I dont even think their devs want to do it either. So if they miss out well... thats like square not making more than 6 wii games.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Dont make a crap to me if they do or don't, Im still gonna buy and play them where they are intended to be played.
And I wouldn't say things like that for the fact I may have to eat them, no matter how strongly you feel. Has Nintendo ever done anything you thought they should do? Yeah they haven't done none of mine either #-o

Ex-Actarus

Sega's also on the Pc market. And they're the ones driving caution regarding mobile. They're also concerned with its longevity.

EA meanwhile is in the league with the big ones. With a shit ton of games everywhere. Even in Japan

I prefer honest breakdown of where all the money goes because I see companies losing more and more money as the years go by.

Though the weirdest things started happening in Japan. Flip phones are coming back into style. Lol. Smartphone penetration should still be 60% but you gotta think man.

Square Enix throws a lot of things at mobile. And I mean alot. And some of them have pretty crappy profits. But they throw so much at it anyway.

Bet all that mobile dev is why they're outsourcing FF15.

I agree the mobile market is tricky.

Square has indeed lots of experience.

I'm not expecting Nintendo to make billions over night.

This will be a gradual change and Nintendo will be careful to not affect their hatdware business.

The idea is this : sell games to people UNLIKELY to buy a Nintendo device.

That's all.

Either way this argument is silly. Lets argue about net neutrality because it feels like the same shit different coin.

Though if Capcom goes bankrupt, Nintendo will never go mobile unless they literally have no choice and everything's in a Phazon cloud connected to your TV

Shoulder

It's about Survival..

Nintendo has been around for more than 100 years, because they were able to ADAPT.

Period.

Does it though? The difference between a company like Square-Enix and Nintendo is Nintendo makes hardware. Square only deals with software, so bringing it to every platform possible is crucial to THEIR business model. Nintendo designs hardware which plays their software, and as long as the 3DS and 2DS continue to be successful, Nintendo won't release full fledged games on mobile platforms. I'm not saying Nintendo should always be this way, but given their current business model making hardware which plays their software, there's little reason for them to make games on mobile devices.

Ex-Actarus

Dont make a crap to me if they do or don't, Im still gonna buy and play them where they are intended to be played.
And I wouldn't say things like that for the fact I may have to eat them, no matter how strongly you feel. Has Nintendo ever done anything you thought they should do? Yeah they haven't done none of mine either #-o

What I mean is that WE'RE NOT THE TARGET audience here.

I offered a 3DS to my sister during Xmas, she already has a Galaxy.

She will NEVER buy a game for 35$ on that device. NO WAY !

She loves Ace Attorney, she would buy that type of games on her mobile for sure.

But she would have NEVER bought a 3DS if I didn't offer one.

So Nintendo needs to target consumers as my sister. There are hundreds of millions out there, if not billions !

Gamerz as us, will still buy Nintendo hardware.

Ex-Actarus

It's about Survival..

Period.

Does it though? The difference between a company like Square-Enix and Nintendo is Nintendo makes hardware. Square only deals with software, so bringing it to every platform possible is crucial to THEIR business model. Nintendo designs hardware which plays their software, and as long as the 3DS and 2DS continue to be successful, Nintendo won't release full fledged games on mobile platforms. I'm not saying Nintendo should always be this way, but given their current business model making hardware which plays their software, there's little reason for them to make games on mobile devices.

With Playstation Now, Sony will bring their library to mobile devices.

Microsoft will have something similar for sure.

So it's not just 3rd party devs, EVERYONE except Nintendo...

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Question and this may sound crazy but bear with me.

As long as Nintendo is making money (and they did even this year). Why in the hell would they put out there products on other hardware? There competitors.

Now you will say "well for more money there losing all that money".

I'm saying since there making money already would they care? They probably should, but there already making money so really they can do what the hell they want.

Take this for example. My business in real life is profitable. Why would I boost my
Competitors up with my product and money to make them stronger?

Obviously I wouldn't.

It's about Survival..

Period.

Sony and MS sell mobile hardware however.

Shoulder

Very true, very true. But PS now only concerns older games and not new games right now. It could support new games in the future, but like I said before, what incentive would the average consumer have to buy the PS4 then?

Ex-Actarus

Question and this may sound crazy but bear with me.

As long as Nintendo is making money (and they did even this year). Why in the hell would they put out there products on other hardware? There competitors.

Now you will say "well for more money there losing all that money".

I'm saying since there making money already would they care? They probably should, but there already making money so really they can do what the hell they want.

Take this for example. My business in real life is profitable. Why would I boost my
Competitors up with my product and money to make them stronger?

Obviously I wouldn't.

I think the problem is that you seeing your competitors as... Competitors.

What about seeing them as... Business potential.

How many copies of Mario Bros could you sell on Wii U ? Max 5 million ?

How many on Mobile ?

Imagine Super Mario Bros for only 1$ on mobile.

Do you have ANY doubts it would sell less than 5 million units ?

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Business potentially to make make Competiton stronger by having my products.

The only way they help me is if I buy them and then they make money for me.

I was too busy playing Wii U to chip in, but about the smartphone thing, don't get too worked up about that. About a month back, Nintendo said they'd be experimenting with these devices with the goal of bringing people over to their devices (AKA advertising). What we're probably going to be seeing are demo type applications. Reggie was so vague when he talked about this that this is as far as I can speculate.
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/reggie-fils-aime-reveals-nintendo-experimenting-smart-devices/

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Nintendo has always had this mindset - "we're a hardware manufacturer, and a huge software developer, and odds are you'll buy a lot of our software to play on our hardware." It's a closed loop.

They aren't going to operate in the same manner as a third party, who want to put their software on as many devices as the budget and industry politics will allow (unless there's a huge exclusivity deal, of course).

And for mobile gaming, majico mentioned this awhile back...
Nintendo - "spend $170 to play really great $30-$40 games"
Phones - "spend $350-ish on an un-subsidized phone, or make the difference in your subsidized monthly plan, to play shallow $2/FTP games"

If there's a future in which Nintendo goes all in on putting their software on hardware they aren't making, it'll be because the entire industry has gone that way and it's no longer a feasible business model to sell consoles. That day probably will come. But it's not today.