Wii U / 3DS sales thread

A subsidized Nintendo portable might actually be pretty cool. Make it Nintendo style, but with more power. Only have consumers pay an initial fee of $200 with a small monthly service fee. The hardware doesn't have to be the typical slim rectangle either.
Effectively shave off a good portion of the iOS and Android market because you can't play Nintendo games on those platforms.

For a company that's such a failure, unlike their competitors, they do an awfully great job of staying out of debt. Worst thing for them to do is be more like Sony and MS. Better to just adapt.
Speaking about the Wii U specifically, I'm okay with the power that's in the system right now. If all that would have come out of a system with more power is a higher suggested retail price and a prettier looking game, factors that have nothing to do with entertainment, I'd be quite fine doing without it. I've got a PC for all my complex processing needs. No need to go out and by some micro-computer/voice-activated cable box that also happens to play games.
The reality is, Nintendo was so caught up in their accurate prediction of what the market wanted with the Wii that they forgot to look forward and are only just now realizing how much work is required to develop in a capable online environment and develop in HD. As a result, they weren't able to equip their system with the necessary games to make it sell. And with no games on the system, you're not going to have a very good marketing campaign if any at all.
Still though, I have to commend the company on how fast they were able to adapt to modern development and services. What took MS and Sony generations, Nintendo did in a few years. Going at this current pace and with all the internal restructuring (development of new offices, Miyamoto training staff so he can step down as lead game designer, consolidation of handheld and console divisions, Iwata becoming CEO of NoA), we should see the fruits of their efforts in 2014, but, as mentioned in another thread, it makes you wonder how Nintendo's internal development team could have possibly known what kind of power they wanted in the system if they only just recently understood the hardships of modern development.
Nintendo's internal development team that handles the hardware is separate from their graphics programmers and leads like Aonuma and the like.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/05/silicon_studio_near_maximum_performance_with_wii_u_3ds_hardware

For a company that's such a failure, unlike their competitors, they do an awfully great job of staying out of debt. Worst thing for them to do is be more like Sony and MS. Better to just adapt.
Speaking about the Wii U specifically, I'm okay with the power that's in the system right now. If all that would have come out of a system with more power is a higher suggested retail price and a prettier looking game, factors that have nothing to do with entertainment, I'd be quite fine doing without it. I've got a PC for all my complex processing needs. No need to go out and by some micro-computer/voice-activated cable box that also happens to play games.
The reality is, Nintendo was so caught up in their accurate prediction of what the market wanted with the Wii that they forgot to look forward and are only just now realizing how much work is required to develop in a capable online environment and develop in HD. As a result, they weren't able to equip their system with the necessary games to make it sell. And with no games on the system, you're not going to have a very good marketing campaign if any at all.
Still though, I have to commend the company on how fast they were able to adapt to modern development and services. What took MS and Sony generations, Nintendo did in a few years. Going at this current pace and with all the internal restructuring (development of new offices, Miyamoto training staff so he can step down as lead game designer, consolidation of handheld and console divisions, Iwata becoming CEO of NoA), we should see the fruits of their efforts in 2014, but, as mentioned in another thread, it makes you wonder how Nintendo's internal development team could have possibly known what kind of power they wanted in the system if they only just recently understood the hardships of modern development.

See, this is the thing really. Nintendo might not always follow the grain, but at least they are fricking profitable. Yes, 2011-2012 FY was in the red, and it's looking like 2013-2014 FY will be in the red also. But it's still a far cry from what Sony and Microsoft have gone through. Just the simple fact that no one ever brings up that Playstation and Xbox did not start having some profit up until a few years, it also means there's still some recuperating costs before they enter the black.
And quite honestly, the Wii U itself isn't and has not been the problem here. The problem with the Wii U has been the branding image (the name Wii U, but I can gloss over that), lack of advertising, and early on the gaming droughts. It is all on Nintendo's end though for not having the right documentation and tools available for developers, although this sort of things happens for all new consoles. Nintendo should've prepared better for the HD bandwagon, and they didn't, and the same goes for their Online network.
Here's the thing though. Given how soon they've adapted to more modern approaches, they're not doing that bad. I mean, let's face it. The Network works. It's not perfect, but it works. Same goes for the OS itself. It's minimal, but again it works.
Lastly, I am overall excited to see what Nintendo has in store, because as I've said recently this whole ordeal these past several days will probably be the wake up call they need to step things up. Perhaps we'll get a taste of this in a future Nintendo Direct in the coming weeks.
Everyone likes to talk about the online network but, the reality is people are used to the cloud system and they dont care about the benefits of having things offline these days. Never liked having everything be server based, but its what they gotta do know because people wont stop bitching about it. Having to access a server for a bunch of feature sets and "false" sense of assurance, that realistically you only get with steam, (along with backwards compatibility) is what people are "used to " now.

Nintendo's internal development team that handles the hardware is separate from their graphics programmers and leads like Aonuma and the like.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/05/silicon_studio_near_maximum_performance_with_wii_u_3ds_hardware
Wouldn't be surprised if they're close to maxing out the 3DS, that system has only got a good 3 years in it at least.
Pretty excited to see what they might have in store for Wii U though considering what they said in that statement. They're haven't produced a console game since 2009, but here's what they've been doing since then:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52ojtk9N5yo

Maybe we should get an interview with them. ;)

Ex-Actarus

Killing the Wii U is the best and only solution for Nintendo IMO.

Of course, we're talking about killing tne console while supporting it for the next 2 years with a consistent flow of 1st party titles and 3rd party exclusives.

Again 2016 should be the target for the launch of the next console.

Nintendo should start right now to work on games for that console.

Ex-Actarus

Actually I can't wait for these 5 years to past just to see what they do next. Cause it's never something that the masses saw coming.

Y'all are to boring with your predictions, it's way to common, vanilla. And if there is one thing that you can count on its Nintendo not being vanilla.

Even the gamepad was sold to me on the thoughts of new gampley. It's hassent happened yet, gets me excited for where there going tho.

First you won't have to wait 5 years.

This is not a prediction, it's common sense 101.

Nintendo makes hardware and software for living, they have NOTHING ELSE.

They are not going to wait 5 years because it will be the window for next gen.

If they can't sell Wii U, then they can sell less softwares.

So again, the Wii U is dead !!!

But of course, they are not going to tell you as a customer : " you know what, we made a mistake and we're going to release a new console in 2 years".

They're going to kill the console in silence :

- First thing first, they will get rid of the gamepad.

- Then they will bring the price of the console below 200$. This should allow the console to have honorable sales for the next 2 years.

So you will just have to wait 2.5 years until E3 2016, to see if we were right :)

Actually I can't wait for these 5 years to past just to see what they do next. Cause it's never something that the masses saw coming.

Y'all are to boring with your predictions, it's way to common, vanilla. And if there is one thing that you can count on its Nintendo not being vanilla.

Even the gamepad was sold to me on the thoughts of new gampley. It's hassent happened yet, gets me excited for where there going tho.

First you won't have to wait 5 years.

This is not a prediction, it's common sense 101.

Nintendo makes hardware and software for living, they have NOTHING ELSE.

They are not going to wait 5 years because it will be the window for next gen.

If they can't sell Wii U, then they can sell less softwares.

So again, the Wii U is dead !!!

But of course, they are not going to tell you as a customer : " you know what, we made a mistake and we're going to release a new console in 2 years".

They're going to kill the console in silence :

- First thing first, they will get rid of the gamepad.

- Then they will bring the price of the console below 200$. This should allow the console to have honorable sales for the next 2 years.

So you will just have to wait 2.5 years until E3 2016, to see if we were right :)
You dont sell SOFTWARE, without putting effort into your presentation of the HARDWARE with more SOFTWARE. Two of those things are missing= dreamcast numbers. Throwing in the towel now is a pussy ass move.

Are you saying the WiiU is so fucked that they cant fix the negative perception even with the dearth of software they're receiving?

I dont think so. Are you saying Nintendo's evaluating the costs they need to sink into it right now? Most definitely.

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/score-nintendo-working-new-handheld-something-entirely-different/

Ex-Actarus

Yes I'm saying it's too late fir the Wii U.

Fixing the perception ? Are you kidding me ?

They got more than 2 years to do it and you think they will be able to do it now ?

The gamepad as a concept failed miserably.

Even Nintendo itself don't bother pushing the gamepad anymore : 3D World, Smash 4, Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, etc... Non of this game push for the gamepad and those are the biggest - and future - games on the platform.

I expect a similar move as they did with the 3DS... The 2DS.

With the 2DS they ditched the biggest feature of the 3DS, the 3D.

The same thing will happen with the Wii U, they will ditch the Gamepad.

This will allow to lower the cost of the console as the gamepad represent around 30 to 40 % of the console.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Ex straight up and Im not gonna refute everything you have said. Nintendos history says you are wrong, they will not drop support, WiiU will be a 5 year minimum.
Disagree away cause aint nothing happening weather you want it to or not they will not "Saturn" a console.

Yes I'm saying it's too late fir the Wii U.

Fixing the perception ? Are you kidding me ?

They got more than 2 years to do it and you think they will be able to do it now ?

The gamepad as a concept failed miserably.

Even Nintendo itself don't bother pushing the gamepad anymore : 3D World, Smash 4, Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, etc... Non of this game push for the gamepad and those are the biggest - and future - games on the platform.

I expect a similar move as they did with the 3DS... The 2DS.

With the 2DS they ditched the biggest feature of the 3DS, the 3D.

The same thing will happen with the Wii U, they will ditch the Gamepad.

This will allow to lower the cost of the console as the gamepad represent around 30 to 40 % of the console.
The WiiU's been on the market for only 1 damn year. How are you going to prove the concept of the gamepad when its something aimed for CORE VIDEO GAMES on a console WITHOUT CORE VIDEO GAMES? Are you fucking daft?

How is something that's not an instant success a failure in concept? Especially when its being adapted by others?

Nintendo didnt bother with the gamepad IN THE FIRST PLACE. Why ELSE would they be in the situation there are in right now.

As a creator its criminal to dismiss something because you fail at executing it with the nessescary materials to back it.

Where the hell is my TLS game? Where the hell is my Battalion Wars? Where the Hell is Fatal Frame? Where the hell is Metroid? Where the hell is Kid Icarus
Where the Hell is Nazo no Jo? Where the hell is it all?

Come OFF it.

You sound like those people who slagged on the kindle before that shit blew up.

Good lord you guys are not thinking straight.

Ditching the gamepad wont lower the cost of the console either.

ITS CUTTING OF YOUR HEAD TO SPITE YOUR NOSE.

Do you not get that?

Fuck this shit, I got work to do.

Ex-Actarus

Ex straight up and Im not gonna refute everything you have said. Nintendos history says you are wrong, they will not drop support, WiiU will be a 5 year minimum.
Disagree away cause aint nothing happening weather you want it to or not they will not "Saturn" a console.

2016 would game 4 years for the Wii U.

The Xbox had 4 years as well, so it's could definitely happen.

You're talking about Nintendo's History, they've never have been in the the red before.

Now they're going to lose money for 3 straight years, so don't expect the same old strategies...

Nintendo has neither the resources nor the time to get a console out that quickly and so irresponsibly^

They have a handheld as well.

Nintendo needs to take some time off before they make the next console, two years off after the first handheld to really make sure the launch goes as SMOOTHLY as possible.

Nintendo's profits still outway their operation losses

and the Xbox was a HUGE money sink not nearly the sames as the WiiU or the Gamecube.

FFS do you know the nightmare that removing the gamepad would cause in production, content available the overall work they'd have to do on the system? You crazy? Fuck.

Do you know why it doesnt make sense? BECAUSE NINTENDO STILL HAS TO MANUFACTURE THE DAMN GAMEPAD. The 2DS cut their manufacturing process down. They could make 1 screen devices instead of more two screens devices.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I don't expect the same, I don't expect the craziness your talking either.
The red lol. 4 times in like 25 years...............yeah there ok. Dont look at PS or Xbox spread sheet tho #-o

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear

2016 would game 4 years for the Wii U.

The Xbox had 4 years as well, so it's could definitely happen.

You're talking about Nintendo's History, they've never have been in the the red before.

Now they're going to lose money for 3 straight years, so don't expect the same old strategies...

Correction: 2011-2012FY was in the red, 2012-2013 was in the black, and 2013-2014 is projected to be in the red. Nevertheless, changes will be made.

I don't think Ex is saying that they'll just stop supporting the console ENTIRELY. It's not like they'll close down the eshop or anything. But beyond the games already announced for the system I would imagine they will shift development of the AAA franchises to the next console. I'm confident Zelda U will come out for the Wii U though, it would be too embarrassing to have that E3 teaser be pure vaporware.

Ex-Actarus

I don't think Ex is saying that they'll just stop supporting the console ENTIRELY. It's not like they'll close down the eshop or anything. But beyond the games already announced for the system I would imagine they will shift development of the AAA franchises to the next console. I'm confident Zelda U will come out for the Wii U though, it would be too embarrassing to have that E3 teaser be pure vaporware.

That's exactly what I'm trying to say.

It takes 2 to 3 years to develop AAA games.

Nintendo has probably 30 to 40 games in the pipeline for Wii U.

That's more than enough to support the console until the launch of the Wii U succesor.

But they need to develop games for the Wii U successor RIGHT NOW.

Or otherwise, they won't have the launch line up for it.

Guys,

Again you need to understand that the Wii U is done.

How the system is going to get 3rd party support with such disastrous sales ?

And we know for fact that NO CONSOLE can succeed without 3rd party support.

The Wii U failed.

You need to think for a minute : THE CONSOLE SOLD LESS THAN THE GAMECUBE !

There is no turning back to glory.

That's why Nintendo is taking a beating on the markets right now, 17% down on Friday and again 18% today.

The ONLY things Nintendo can do imo :

- Stop losing money on the hardware = Ditchng the gamepad
- Cut price to 199$ + Ambassador program 2.0
- Step up collaboration and partnership with 3rd party devs to get HDmakes of N64, GC and Wii games.
- Release games on mobile devices
- Prepare next gen

Im saying Nintendo needs to take a little bit of time with their new console. Go at it from a first party all out approach, and their handheld needs to be stable in order to do that, and I dont see them making a handheld to release so soon, So the two year gap

http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2014/01/20/nintendos-woes-dont-mean-game-over-for-its-consoles/

Ex-Actarus

Interesting article there.

But they say Nintendo still did OK thanks to the 3DS.

But I have to disagree.

The 3DS sold less this year than last year despite :

- A cheaper console ( there were plenty of good deal for the XL and the 3DS )

- the best line up in a year on a Nintendo handheld EVER : Pokemon, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Puzzle and Dragon, etc.

- the 2DS

- The Vita underperforming

But despite ALL that, the 3DS sold less than last year...

That's not a very good sign.

Ex. It is not the end of the fiscal year. This revision you're hearing about... it's a prediction from Iwata. The Wii U and Nintendo 3DS could actually end up selling well over their new respective goals or they could end up going well under them. All depends on what Nintendo does going forward.
Between the beginning of April and September 2012, 3DS sold 529,000. During this same period of time in 2013, 3DS did 429,000. There are no official numbers for when Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl, Rune Factory 4, Pokémon X and Y, Skylanders: Swap Force, Sonic Lost World, Mario Party: Island Tour, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Bravely Default: Flying Fairy, Disney Magical World (Sold 500,000 compies so far), Puzzle & Dragons and the likes came out.
And even if it does end up selling like 2 units less than it did last year. That's not a "bad" sign.

Ex-Actarus

Ex. It is not the end of the fiscal year. This revision you're hearing about... it's a prediction from Iwata. The Wii U and Nintendo 3DS could actually end up selling well over their new respective goals or they could end up going well under them. All depends on what Nintendo does going forward.
Between the beginning of April and September 2012, 3DS sold 529,000. During this same period of time in 2013, 3DS did 429,000. There are no official numbers for when Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl, Rune Factory 4, Pokémon X and Y, Skylanders: Swap Force, Sonic Lost World, Mario Party: Island Tour, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Bravely Default: Flying Fairy, Disney Magical World (Sold 500,000 compies so far), Puzzle & Dragons and the likes came out.
And even if it does end up selling like 2 units less than it did last year. That's not a "bad" sign.

Yes you're right Jaces, those are predictions.
But you have to agree that if they changed the predictions that much, it's because they don't expect much more really.
It could actually be even less... ( I'm the half empty guy of the forum ).

And yes I think it's a bad sign for the 3DS.
You see during the N64 and GC days, even if those consoles weren't selling well, the handhelds were kicking ass !
Unfortunately this is not happening.
Everybody here is just paying attention to the hardware sales, but I've said it already before.
The really bad news are the SOTFWARE SALES.
If you remove all the big Nintendo games and the few Japanese exceptions as Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest and Puzzle & Dragons, NOTHING is selling on 3DS.
Western 3rd party devs are nowhere to be seen on the 3DS !
In the DS and GBA days there were tons of games that were selling, TONS ! Not just from Nintendo but from 3rd party devs as well.
The consoles were widely supported by western and Japanese devs alike.

And on Wii U, yes there is no 3rd party support, but Nintendo could have tried to do as they did on N64.
EA did not support much the N64, but there were no shortage of sports games : NBA courtside ( million seller ), NBA Hangtime, NBA in the Zone, Ken Griffey, Major League Baseball Ken Griffey, Ken Griffey Slugfest, NFL Blitz ( million seller ), NFL Quaterback Club 98 ( million seller ) etc. I did not have a Playsation at the time and I never felt the need to have one as I had plenty of sport games on N64 available.
But if you have a Wii U and you love sport games, then you're F....D !!!
The GC and the N64 have poor hardware sales, but the softwares sales were VERY GOOD !!!
That's something we don't see with the 3DS ( expect in Japan ) and the Wii U as no games from each console is the either in the best selling games of the year in the NPD or the best selling games in UK ( the 2 biggest videogames markets ).

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
^ it's not a prediction from iwata, it's a prediction from nintendo's team of analysts. and nintendo's team of analysts suck. this forecast is still probably over what they'll actually sell.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
@Ex
Except the 3DS is kicking ass. What does it matter if 3rd party titles aren't breaking records so as long as they continue to come and make the developers money? Are you seeing 3rd party support slow down, because I'm not? Not to mention, Nintendo's own games are selling well on the 3DS and the system itself is selling well. Maybe not DS numbers but it'll easily do PSP/GBA numbers for sure and will likely be the best selling system of this generation. Oh and LOL at Nintendo's handhelds ever being truly supported by Western developers. Sorry but the driving force behind each and every one of Nintendo's handhelds have been Eastern developers and Nintendo, with some exceptions here and there. It's just more prominent now because Western developers now focus almost entirely on home consoles and many Eastern developers are turning towards handhelds to make money
As for the N64, well what if you wanted something OTHER than sports games and Nintendo's titles? Yeah, you'd be kinda screwed. At least the Wii-U has indie support and somewhat superior 3rd party support in comparison to the N64/Wii. As for the software sales of the GC/N64...why on EARTH are you comparing their software sales to say the Wii-U? The Wii-U's been out for barely a year and barely has a quarter of the install base of the GameCube and a small portion of Nintendo's big titles. No way would it have the same software sales of the GC or N64
As for the poor sales of the Wii-U, well if the poor sales of the N64 and GC didn't push Nintendo to cut their lives short, then Nintendo won't cut the life short of the Wii-U
Geez Ex, by your logic, every system that's not the DS, PS2, Wii, or PS is a failure and every company is doomed

Your attempt to spin reality makes it really hard to even want to bother discussing this topic with you Ex. I'm just going to keep this short and leave it at this.
Nintendo doesn't have to beat their own record to be successful. If you think the 3DS is a failure, I guess you think the PS4 is one too. Only way you wouldn't is if you go by the logic that you have to exceed your own goals to be successful, which at that point, Nintendo's analysis team might as well purposely set low goals inflate positive attention.

Software sales are not terrible. Like hardware sales, just because they aren't setting records doesn't mean they are terrible.

You're also showing a complete lack of understand of why Nintendo revised their goal for the Wii U. It has nothing to do with third party support and everything to do with the fact that there were no games to market for half of 2013.

I feel like you have no concept of middle-ground, where something is neither having extreme success or extreme failure.

Shoulder

But you have to agree that if they changed the predictions that much, it's because they don't expect much more really.

You see during the N64 and GC days, even if those consoles weren't selling well, the handhelds were kicking ass !
Everybody here is just paying attention to the hardware sales, but I've said it already before.
If you remove all the big Nintendo games and the few Japanese exceptions as Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest and Puzzle & Dragons, NOTHING is selling on 3DS.
In the DS and GBA days there were tons of games that were selling, TONS ! Not just from Nintendo but from 3rd party devs as well.

And on Wii U, yes there is no 3rd party support, but Nintendo could have tried to do as they did on N64.
EA did not support much the N64, but there were no shortage of sports games : NBA courtside ( million seller ), NBA Hangtime, NBA in the Zone, Ken Griffey, Major League Baseball Ken Griffey, Ken Griffey Slugfest, NFL Blitz ( million seller ), NFL Quaterback Club 98 ( million seller ) etc. I did not have a Playsation at the time and I never felt the need to have one as I had plenty of sport games on N64 available.
The GC and the N64 have poor hardware sales, but the softwares sales were VERY GOOD !!!
That's something we don't see with the 3DS ( expect in Japan ) and the Wii U as no games from each console is the either in the best selling games of the year in the NPD or the best selling games in UK ( the 2 biggest videogames markets ).

For the record, the 3DS line is still kicking ass. It's not selling as well as the DS was, but I doubt much of anything will sell quite like it ever again. Worldwide, after the holidays, the 3DS/XL/2DS combined have sold over 50 million in about two years, which is impressive for a gaming platform. The 3DS line will unlikely outsell the DS line, which worldwide has sold almost 300 million units, and nearly a billion units of software, but that does not imply the 3DS will be a failure by any stretch. By the time the 3DS successor launches, which will likely be 2017-2018, the 3DS line will be well over one hundred million units at he rate it's going.

Ex-Actarus

Your attempt to spin reality makes it really hard to even want to bother discussing this topic with you Ex. I'm just going to keep this short and leave it at this.

Nintendo doesn't have to beat their own record to be successful. If you think the 3DS is a failure, I guess you think the PS4 is one too. Only way you wouldn't is if you go by the logic that you have to exceed your own goals to be successful, which at that point, Nintendo's analysis team might as well purposely set low goals inflate positive attention.

S

Ex-Actarus

For the record, the 3DS line is still kicking ass. It's not selling as well as the DS was, but I doubt much of anything will sell quite like it ever again. Worldwide, after the holidays, the 3DS/XL/2DS combined have sold over 50 million in about two years, which is impressive for a gaming platform. The 3DS line will unlikely outsell the DS line, which worldwide has sold almost 300 million units, and nearly a billion units of software, but that does not imply the 3DS will be a failure by any stretch. By the time the 3DS successor launches, which will likely be 2017-2018, the 3DS line will be well over one hundred million units at he rate it's going.
Selling 13.5 million instead of 18 million is not kicking ass.
Actually 13,5 million for the year is as best... AVERAGE !
Just check annual console sales for the DS, Wii, PS2, PS or GBA.
And you'll see that those numbers are NOT kicking ass at all.

Software sales are not terrible. Like hardware sales, just because they aren't setting records doesn't mean they are terrible.

You're also showing a complete lack of understanding of why Nintendo revised their goal for the Wii U. It has nothing to do with third party support and everything to do with the fact that there were no games to market for half of 2013.
I feel like you have no concept of middle-ground, where something is neither having extreme success or extreme failure.

Why do you call that spin ?
Because you're trying to redefine the word failure to suit you're argument. You're calling for Nintendo to go third party or fire Iwata based on the simple fact that they aren't expecting to meet an obviously inflated goal that they set. Never mind that Nintendo 3DS is the best selling game system this generation.

You're also spinning our words of what we said back then to fit your argument. Nobody said the Wii U was selling well back when they sold 160K over a span of 3 months. Stop heavily generalizing things. If anyone was speaking highly of Wii U sales, it was probably in comparison to 7th gen consoles when Wii U was actually performing better than what they did at the time. I'm not even going to address your comments about the Wii. Once again you've generalized beyond reality.

I'll cut you a deal. Find me one corporation that has actually fired their CEO for not meeting sales goals despite the fact that their product was actually doing very well and I might actually believe you haven't lost it.

What do you think of PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, PS Vita, PSP, and Xbox One? Many of these systems cost their company money, missed their sales goals, or aren't on track to beat predecessors record.

Should Sony and Microsoft have gone third party and fired their CEOs after each failure (meaning there should have been multiple CEOs within a span of 8 years)?

What about Ubisoft as well as other third party companies? Many of their games have missed sales goals over the past year. Should they auction off their company immediately?

While I believe the next console will come out in 2017 you guys need to give ex a break. It's not out of the realms of possibility that the next console cant come out 2016. Let's say sales continue to be this bad and sales are only 15 million it very well could happen. I was thinking it was possible that if Nintendo does not make this hybrid console it would be the next home console would be 2016 while the next handheld would be 2017. Giving 1 year up it allows for slightly better mobile hardware and architecture to match the home console which would enable some of the fixes nintendo is trying to do with software production. So devs can save time instead of learning new hardware.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Yeesh. Sales data? It's getting all E3 with pie charts up in here.

Look at GBA sales? OK. Unfortunately, all we have year-by-year are SP numbers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_Advance_SP#Sales_information

Those are LTD numbers accruing. So just pick two years, and subtract the totals given for 12/31.
2003 - 15.3 million
2004- 15.43 million
2005 - 6.67 million
2006 - 3.93 million
2007 - 1.69 million
2008 - 0.5 million
Total - 43.52 million

That doesn't count for the original non-backlit GBA (35.52 million) and Micro (2.42 million). If you want to divide up the GBA sales, I think it's fair to say it would've sold most of its stock in its first four years (two strong early years, then two years falling off with the SP revision stealing sales). If it sold 30-32 million in its first two years, that gives you an extra 2 to 5 mill you can tack onto SP numbers after 2003.

So...no. Almost 14 million for the 3DS is not anywhere close to the vicinity of bad.

And if the 3DS ends up as profitable as the GBA, I'm sure Nintendo will end up quite happy, especially considering how many people game on their phones now.

Now, I know the next line of reasoning will be "but it's not the DS!" Well, no. In fact, nothing else besides the PS2 is.

DS sales are here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_sales
2004 - 2.84 million
2005 - 11.59 million
2006 - 21.18 million
2007 - 29.18 million
2008 - 31.43 million
2009 - 28.91 million
2010 - 19.46 million
2011 - 6.47 million
2012 - 2.61 million
2013 - 0.29 million (est)
Total - 153.96 million

The DS was an absolute monster.

But not selling up to that standard isn't a "failure." You don't run a business by the Ricky Bobby "if you ain't first, you're last" line of reasoning. You run it by making money. Sometimes you make more. Sometimes you make less.

Odo

WiiU can "fail" like GC (if we really can say that it was a fail), but I think it's too hard to affirm that now.
WiiU is not selling well, that's true, but what really matters is life figures.
People have said that 3DS was doomed and now it is kicking asses. Of course if we compare 3DS numbers with DS and GBA numbers, it's not the same success at all. But this sort of comparison is not right.
DS and GBA was pre mobile/social network era. On that era, our parents, our grandmothers, were playing casual games on DS. The same for Wii. Wii and DS were systems that made success because of casual gaming experience. But now, casual gaming experience is only for mobile, Facebook and other platforms. Now, gaming systems are for children and gamers again, like it was on SNES and N64 era.
I agree that WiiU is not selling. That's true. But it's only the beginning. WiiU will have more AAA games (plus AAA Wii games b/c of retro compatibility) and WiiU will have a great chance to sell enough (not like Wii of course) and it'll deliver great games as N64 and GC have delivered.
The big mistake of Nintendo was the 2013 games. They should have released more AAA IPs and avoided games like Pikmin.
It's hard to say now that they'll fail and it's impossible to say now that Nintendo will close WiiU and deliver a new system soon.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
WiiU can "fail" like GC (if we really can say that it was a fail), but I think it's too hard to affirm that now.
People have said that 3DS was doomed and now it is kicking asses. Of course if we compare 3DS numbers with DS and GBA numbers, it's not the same success at all. But this sort of comparison is not right.
DS and GBA was pre mobile/social network era. On that era, our parents, our grandmothers, were playing casual games on DS. The same for Wii. Wii and DS were systems that made success because of casual gaming experience. But now, casual gaming experience is only for mobile, Facebook and other platforms. Now, gaming systems are for children and gamers again, like it was on SNES and N64 era.
I agree that WiiU is not selling. That's true. But it's only the beginning. WiiU will have more AAA games (plus AAA Wii games b/c of retro compatibility) and WiiU will have a great chance to sell enough (not like Wii of course) and it'll deliver great games as N64 and GC have delivered.
The big mistake of Nintendo was the 2013 games. They should have released more AAA IPs and avoided games like Pikmin.
It's hard to say now that they'll fail and it's impossible to say now that Nintendo will close WiiU and deliver a new system soon.
I like your name....

Odo

I like your name....

:D

Ex-Actarus

Yeesh. Sales data? It's getting all E3 with pie charts up in here.

Look at GBA sales? OK. Unfortunately, all we have year-by-year are SP numbers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_Advance_SP#Sales_information

Those are LTD numbers accruing. So just pick two years, and subtract the totals given for 12/31.
2003 - 15.3 million
2004- 15.43 million
2005 - 6.67 million
2006 - 3.93 million
2007 - 1.69 million
2008 - 0.5 million
Total - 43.52 million

That doesn't count for the original non-backlit GBA (35.52 million) and Micro (2.42 million). If you want to divide up the GBA sales, I think it's fair to say it would've sold most of its stock in its first four years (two strong early years, then two years falling off with the SP revision stealing sales). If it sold 30-32 million in its first two years, that gives you an extra 2 to 5 mill you can tack onto SP numbers after 2003.

So...no. Almost 14 million for the 3DS is not anywhere close to the vicinity of bad.

And if the 3DS ends up as profitable as the GBA, I'm sure Nintendo will end up quite happy, especially considering how many people game on their phones now.

Now, I know the next line of reasoning will be "but it's not the DS!" Well, no. In fact, nothing else besides the PS2 is.

DS sales are here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_sales
2004 - 2.84 million
2005 - 11.59 million
2006 - 21.18 million
2007 - 29.18 million
2008 - 31.43 million
2009 - 28.91 million
2010 - 19.46 million
2011 - 6.47 million
2012 - 2.61 million
2013 - 0.29 million (est)
Total - 153.96 million

The DS was an absolute monster.

But not selling up to that standard isn't a "failure." You don't run a business by the Ricky Bobby "if you ain't first, you're last" line of reasoning. You run it by making money. Sometimes you make more. Sometimes you make less.

It seems people here don't have a clue of what the word Failure means.

"The condition or fact of not achieving the desired end or ends".

Source : http://www.thefreedictionary.com/failure

There is not much point showing the GBA SP sales only as they represent only half of the total sales of the GBA... Anyway.

But I'm not going to spent my time discussing the state of sales of the Wii U and the 3DS...

You have the right to think that the 3DS sales are good, but I don't.

13.5 million units with the 2DS, Pokemon and the Vita terrible sales is Failure IMO ( and for Nintendo ).

They wanted to sell 18 million, they sold probably around 13.5 ( let's wait the final number ).

Nintendo - THEMSELVES - are not happy about the performance, why should I be ?

18 million would have been great. 13.5 million is average.

I agree - as I said SEVEREAL times - failure doesn't mean they need to stop making business.

And I agree that making money is the most important thing and that's the issue.

Nintendo is not making money right now ( but let's see, maybe the Yen will save them as last year ).

Why ?

Because both the 3DS and the Wii U have been sold at loss initially.

This is FiRST. Before that, Nintendo was always making margin on hardware.

So you really can't compare 13 million 3DS sold with 13 million DS or GBA, because, Nintendo was ( and maybe still is ) losing money in the first scenario, while making money in the second one.

So the plan for Nintendo was to sell games in order to make money. But they sold less games than they expected, so they cannot make money...

That's really not hard to understand.

Ex-Actarus

Very good post !

I completey agree with you, it's too early to say that the Wii U is a new GC.

The Wii U has only been around for a year.

The problem is that the Wii U had such a terrible start that I don't see how it could recover.

I was in Tesco during the holidays, it's a huge retail chain ( kind of Target or Wal Mart ).

There wasn't any Wii U in display.

There were only Wii U games.

Wii U games in the same spot as Wii games...

This is how bad the situation is for the Wii U in Europe.

There is no turning back for me when you reached such level...

i've always said that the Wii U would at best sell as the N64 and at worst as the GC.

But now the Wii U is trailling the GC.

It's going to be a really tough road ahead for the Wii U.

Now don't get me wrong. Despite sales level, the Wii U could still be one of the best console EVER.

The N64 and the GC are among my favourite consoles of all time, well ahead of the the Wii.

While I believe the next console will come out in 2017 you guys need to give ex a break. It's not out of the realms of possibility that the next console cant come out 2016. Let's say sales continue to be this bad and sales are only 15 million it very well could happen. I was thinking it was possible that if Nintendo does not make this hybrid console it would be the next home console would be 2016 while the next handheld would be 2017. Giving 1 year up it allows for slightly better mobile hardware and architecture to match the home console which would enable some of the fixes nintendo is trying to do with software production. So devs can save time instead of learning new hardware.

I'm just not really fond of the 'anything could happen' argument. It's the type of argument someone makes when they want to suggest something wild without having to own up to being completely and utterly wrong in the end.
You're not really going to ever see me make damning predictions unless the specific thing I'm talking about has exhausted all its foreseeable cards. Really can't see any successful company canning an arguably good idea. Like I said, it's not a matter of Nintendo having a hard time selling the Wii U, it's a matter of them not putting out games to even sell in a timely manner. Even then, there are still so many uses for the GamePad that they haven't tapped into yet. The way I see it, they've simply been having a tough time adapting to HD and they'll take as long as they need before they release a product. Who knows, maybe after some time exploring HD they might come to the conclusion that their system really is underpowered even for their own standards. Maybe they won't.
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/83/831fed82a85437a7c7c47a373d3141b042593d8db8d7fd174207724f486426bf.jpg

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
You're the one who mentioned the GBA as being a success (and I already factored in non-SP sales for the GBA), Ex. If you don't want that to be a comparative barometer for success, you shouldn't have brought it up. If the 3DS ends up selling in that ballpark, that's simply not a failure. Because a sales forecast is just that, a forecast. It's an educated guess, but a guess nonetheless. In business, making money is success. If the 3DS is profitable and makes Nintendo money, it's a success. Period. And the thing has been selling at a profit since the summer of 2012.

We all get it - Nintendo has hit some losses recently. On the heels of their biggest ever profits. Welcome to business. The Wii U dragged the company down last year. This year will be critical, with Smash and Kart. Will that put them back in the black? We'll see.

BTW, everyone really needs to drop the "this is the first time Nintendo sold anything at a loss!" line. The GC sold at a loss at launch, too. I'll take convenient historical revision for $200, Alex.

Koenig

The Architect
It should be worth noting that Smash Bros and Mario kart are traditionally two of Nintendo best selling game franchises. If Nintendo does not turn a profit this year I would be outright flabbergasted...
Hmmm...that is actually a word.

Goodtwin

Holy shit this thread hit the fan. Anyhow, while I dont agree that its likely for Nintendo to abandon the 5 year lifecycle that they tend to stick to, if the Wii U were to sell very very poorly over the next year, they may be forced to discontinue the Wii U based on the fact that retailers wont stock it. The Wii U does need to maintain a certain threshold just to remain on store shelves. The Wii U gets cheaper by the day to manufacture though, so I could see a price drop just in time for Mario Kart to release later this spring. Nintendo has tons of options outside of cutting the Wii U short. Even insane price cuts is cheaper than engineering a brand new peice of hardware, and then switching over all your development teams.

This is the reality of the gaming community, and you guys know this to be true, if Nintendo were to slash the price to $149 and go on to sell 15 million Wii U's over the next 12 months the Nintendoomed articles would go away. The gaming community rarely factors in a companies profitability into the "success" equation. Its usually more like, my system sold more than your system therefore my penis is huge. :p Dropping the price of the Wii U to $149 would cause Nintendo to take some pretty hefty losses, but in the gaming community its typically only the total userbase that defines success.

Nintendo needs to do some things differently just to keep the Wii U alive for 5 years, but they do have options. Imagine a Mario Kart 8 bundle for $249 come May. You think that wouldnt move some units? Cutting the Wii U short is a bad move since it will hurt consumer confidence.

I havent been a big fan of IGN for quite some time now, but this particual quote from a recent article stuck with me personally.

"Do you want FIFA and Call of Duty? Or do you want Smash Bros and
Bayonetta 2? If the latter, there’s no reason to regret buying a Wii U.
And that gets to the heart of why Nintendo fans shouldn’t be unduly
worried about the Wii U’s poor performance."

When you really think about it, for many of us, the success or failure of the Wii U wont influence our personal feelings for the console. There will be a lot of great games coming regardless if the Wii U ever truly gains traction in the marketplace. I have never been at a shortage of games to play on any Nintendo console, that includes the Wii and Gamecube, always had games that I wanted to check out but never got around to.

Shoulder

Holy shit this thread hit the fan. Anyhow, while I dont agree that its likely for Nintendo to abandon the 5 year lifecycle that they tend to stick to, if the Wii U were to sell very very poorly over the next year, they may be forced to discontinue the Wii U based on the fact that retailers wont stock it. The Wii U does need to maintain a certain threshold just to remain on store shelves. The Wii U gets cheaper by the day to manufacture though, so I could see a price drop just in time for Mario Kart to release later this spring. Nintendo has tons of options outside of cutting the Wii U short. Even insane price cuts is cheaper than engineering a brand new peice of hardware, and then switching over all your development teams.

This is the reality of the gaming community, and you guys know this to be true, if Nintendo were to slash the price to $149 and go on to sell 15 million Wii U's over the next 12 months the Nintendoomed articles would go away. The gaming community rarely factors in a companies profitability into the "success" equation. Its usually more like, my system sold more than your system therefore my penis is huge. :p Dropping the price of the Wii U to $149 would cause Nintendo to take some pretty hefty losses, but in the gaming community its typically only the total userbase that defines success.

Nintendo needs to do some things differently just to keep the Wii U alive for 5 years, but they do have options. Imagine a Mario Kart 8 bundle for $249 come May. You think that wouldnt move some units? Cutting the Wii U short is a bad move since it will hurt consumer confidence.

I havent been a big fan of IGN for quite some time now, but this particual quote from a recent article stuck with me personally.

When you really think about it, for many of us, the success or failure of the Wii U wont influence our personal feelings for the console. There will be a lot of great games coming regardless if the Wii U ever truly gains traction in the marketplace. I have never been at a shortage of games to play on any Nintendo console, that includes the Wii and Gamecube, always had games that I wanted to check out but never got around to.

=D>

Ex-Actarus

You're the one who mentioned the GBA as being a success (and I already factored in non-SP sales for the GBA), Ex. If you don't want that to be a comparative barometer for success, you shouldn't have brought it up. If the 3DS ends up selling in that ballpark, that's simply not a failure. Because a sales forecast is just that, a forecast. It's an educated guess, but a guess nonetheless. In business, making money is success. If the 3DS is profitable and makes Nintendo money, it's a success. Period. And the thing has been selling at a profit since the summer of 2012.

We all get it - Nintendo has hit some losses recently. On the heels of their biggest ever profits. Welcome to business. The Wii U dragged the company down last year. This year will be critical, with Smash and Kart. Will that put them back in the black? We'll see.

BTW, everyone really needs to drop the "this is the first time Nintendo sold anything at a loss!" line. The GC sold at a loss at launch, too. I'll take convenient historical revision for $200, Alex.

If you want to bring the GBA then bring the whole GBA sales, not half of it...

The fact is that the GBA had years where it sold much more than 13.5 million units.

Selling 13.5 million units in a year is nothing special, it's an average performance for a Nintendo handheld.

For the record the GBA is the least sold Nintendo hanheld, it sold even less than the PSP.

And the 3DS can barely match the GBA performance.

Average really...

Ex-Actarus

Dropping the price of the console alone won't do much.

If people don't care about the console, even if you drop the price, people won't buy it.

We saw that with the Gamecube, Nintendo kept dropping the price all the time !!!

It did not save the console.

Same right now with the Vita.

So dropping the price is one thing, but you need to step up the marketing and support the console with frequent games releases.

And there is no way around not having big 3rd party games on the console...

GamingFreak1988

The Platformer Guru
I do wonder is it possible for nintendo to drop the cost of manufacturing the wiiu game pad itself? Would it be possible to make a smaller one and get the price down to $249. Like perhaps a Wiiu mini.

Odo

Yes, talking about quality: while PS had plenty of games, N64 had some of the most perfect ones. Ocarina of Time, Banjo, Goldeneye. Even the 64 bits 3D that no console had that time. N64 was a high quality system that sold poorly.
Today people are playing N64 games, like Ocarina of Time and others, and nobody plays PS games.
That's what only Nintendo knows how to deliver. New generations still play older generation games. Let's watch what Nintendo will deliver with WiiU.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
@goodtwin dropping from $350 to $150 in 18 months? No one will ever call that a win lol. That's Nintendo just giving it away at that point. And if people still don't want it at that point (possible), then they officially can't give it away. Price isn't the problem with the Wii U. Price is probably the only aspect of the Wii U that ISN'T a problem.

And how come so much of the conversation in the "Wii U sales thread" is revolving around 3DS?