Wii U / 3DS sales thread

This is more Nintendo Platform Sales thread rather than Wii U sales thread.
Also agreed MB. I've no idea why people keep pointing to the price as the problem. A free turd is still a turd.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
This is more Nintendo Platform Sales thread rather than Wii U sales thread.
Also agreed MB. I've no idea why people keep pointing to the price as the problem. A free turd is still a turd.
That's an excellent quote

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Because it's making Nintendo big money and you have to take that into account.
feels kinda like trying to change the subject haha.

"wii u sales? eeeeeeeggghhhhh... let's talk about 3DS instead" lol
Not so much because everyone was talking about losses and profits and whatnot. Right now all there losses and profits heing on 3DS and WiiU. Sooooooooo yeah

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
If you want to bring the GBA then bring the whole GBA sales, not half of it...

The fact is that the GBA had years where it sold much more than 13.5 million units.

Selling 13.5 million units in a year is nothing special, it's an average performance for a Nintendo handheld.

For the record the GBA is the least sold Nintendo hanheld, it sold even less than the PSP.

And the 3DS can barely match the GBA performance.

Average really...

You aren't reading very carefully. I already factored in the non-SP sales; we lack hard data on it, but I assumed they would be concentrated more for the first two years of its release. And that's probably charitable, as I would wager the SP sold better than the original. You can tack on a few million in other years, but that doesn't make the GBA the market dominating force that the DS was. But the 3DS is definitely ballpark there; if you consider the GBA a successful console, then the 3DS is thus far showing itself to be in that ballpark.

The worrying thing for Nintendo is the Wii U, not the 3DS. Speaking of which...

I was responding to the analogy posted, but you're right. The Wii U should be the focus here.

Nintendo didn't do a damn thing to support the console for nearly 8 months, then had to chop the price to get some traction. They made last year rough on themselves. 2014 will be crucial. Smash and Kart need to push sales.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
@mattavelle1 word. i haven't been following the conversation (not terribly interested in sales), but every time i pop my head in it seems like a scramble to turn this into a 3DS thread.

just an observation.

Because it's making Nintendo big money and you have to take that into account.

That'd be the case of Ex wasn't the one who brought up 3DS.
He was the first person to comment after I posted the revision: http://nintendoenthusiast.com/forums/discussion/comment/63918#Comment_63918

Thinking to the future, Nintendo could hook up with Samsung and create a "GalaxyBoy", a Nintendo designed Samsung phone with Nintendo made controls and Android technology.
Samsung and Microsoft are very close friends, so that would never happen unless MS got out of games.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
@goodtwin dropping from $350 to $150 in 18 months? No one will ever call that a win lol. That's Nintendo just giving it away at that point. And if people still don't want it at that point (possible), then they officially can't give it away. Price isn't the problem with the Wii U. Price is probably the only aspect of the Wii U that ISN'T a problem.

And how come so much of the conversation in the "Wii U sales thread" is revolving around 3DS?

Yeah, the price of the system AND the system itself are actually not the issue here. It's always been exposure and advertising, and there just wasn't any of it until the end of the year. Even the library of games isn't really much of a problem now. The big central issue for 2014 will be using those new games to help leverage more sales, and in order to do that, Nintendo must advertising the hell out of it. Nintendo should even have ads for Tropical Freeze just as a starting point for 2014, and then escalate from there when Mario Kart (very crucial), Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2, etc all come out.
Hell, it wouldn't be a bad idea to advertise some of the indie games the Wii U has.

Goodtwin

Price is always relevant though. The lower the price, the lower the bar of entry, and the more people that will entice to jump on board. Its the reason sales go up anytime a hardware manufacture lowers the price, there are always people who wait for a certain price of admission before jumping in. Do I think Nintendo should drop the price to $149? No, not at all. My whole point was that Nintendo has a lot of "desperate" options that make more sense than rushing new hardware to market. Nintendo spends hundreds of millions on R&D for any given console. It would take devastating losses on each console before it made more sense to scrap the Wii U and start spending big money on R&D for a new console so prematurely. With that said I do think yearly price cuts are going to happen as long as sales stay low. Price cuts alone dont do a lot, but a price cut just in time for Mario Kart could really make the games impact that much more powerful.

Nintendo does some really goofy shit. Mario Kart is coming in the spring, but whats the date? Smash Bros in 2014, but when? Bayonetta 2 in 2014, but when? Nintendo needs to become a bit more forthcoming with their commingling releases. The secrecy surrounding release dates only hurts the appeal of their console. They also need to score more exclusives that people care about. Why Nintendo didnt buy Atlus is beyond me. A good opportunity to buy a developer who can bring some quality exclusives to your console, but instead they let Sega have them. Nintendo is stubborn, and unfortunately they need to fail before they will change. They are a company filled with some of the greatest development studios in the world, but the management is starting to look very clueless.

Sure but the last thing Nintendo wants to do is drop the price only to be making them the same amount of losses (or worse).
I really just think it's a promotion problem. A promotion problem eventually leads to an identity problem for your console. If such problem don't get resolved in 2014, it may be too late because Nintendo would have exhausted almost all their potential evergreen IPs.

Ex-Actarus

@Goodtwin.I really cannot understand why to this day, we still don't have a date for Mario Kart 8.This is crazy !!!I can't see Mario kart 8 being release after April...The game has to come by March, but if it was the case, Nintendo would have said it, no ?
I mean Destiny is coming in September !!! We have a date and preorder program and plenty previews and stuff.
If Mario Kart 8 is coming in March or April, we should already have previews and stuff on IGN, Polygon and so on.
This game needs to be marketed heavily !!!

Goodtwin

Its the the game with the biggest potential to move hardware, and still we dont know a release date. This is it for the Wii U. If 2014 isnt kind to the Wii U, then its pretty much a dead stick. Throw a fucking punch Nintendo! Do something and dont leave it a secret, let the community know that your making moves. If they sit on their hands and do nothing, Wii U wont sell 15 million units before being discontinued.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
The fact that Nintendo is playing it so close to the chest is probably a bad sign for Wii U.... And their unwillingness to invest in tryin to turn things around in a very public way is probably not good either.... But I have faith that this year things will start to turn around for Wii U.... I feel like another price drop will come late this year....I feel like Nintendo is gearing up behind the scenes to try and turn things around for the Wii U.... So many heavy hitters getting ready to drop this year and next.... You have got to believe that the Big N understands the kind of selling power games like MK8 and Zelda will have....The kind of impact that can be made with just those two games can't be stressed enough....Once you have these games out, perhaps in bundle form, Wii U will sell itself imo.... People are waiting for the price to come down even more and for those huge games to come that haven't yet, we all are, but people who haven't bought a Wii U most of all imo....
If you are Nintendo, and you see all this happening, you are going to try and figure out a way to change things, right....? I mean, are we supposed to believe that Nintendo sees all this terrible press about the sales, the stocks taking a dip, and the people complaining about all this shit and are content to do nothing...?
Oh no.... Nintendo is probably working right now on some kind of strategy to help improve the sales of Wii U.... At least common sense would dictate that.... But then again, when has Nintendo ever been known for using that...? Common sense I mean....

THE NINTENTROL ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM

Yeah I've really stopped caring about what Nintendo should do. They already know what they should do, but I guess they're choosing not to do it.
I guess they'll start using that pile of cash they're sitting on when they're ready.

Yeah I've really stopped caring about what Nintendo should do. They already know what they should do, but I guess they're choosing not to do it.
I guess they'll start using that pile of cash they're sitting on when they're ready.
Pretty much, their problems can be solved so easily but they choose not to do it. Until then I just await Donkey Kong and every other wii u game that falls in place.

Am I the only one who went through this shit last year?

Nintendo's been extremely cagey since this generation started. I dont take it as a bad sign considering their past behavior.

They seem to be taking the overnight castle route.

I'm sure baboons aren't running the company and they actually to have some initiatives in place, but until then, there's really not much else to say other than do what you gotta do Nintendo.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Nintendo always holds their cards pretty close. This is nothing new. They've been doing it even with the N64 and GameCube. They tend to their marketing for games when they're a a couple of weeks away from being released and kinda just do things however they want, for better or for worse. However, in all honesty, I don't think all of the marketing in the world could change how people view the Wii-U and it's sales. It'll likely have N64-level sales once SSB and MK8 come out but that's it. Same thing for price drops. The GameCube had plenty and they didn't do much for a long period of time so I don't think just dropping the price is the answer, especially when that will increase the losses they're suffering with the Wii-U. As for what they're doing...who knows. It could be nothing special. It could be something great. You never really know with Nintendo, they're kinda random with how they do whatever it is they do. I'm sure, whatever it is, it won't be something we expect, again, for better or worse and I'll be here, enjoying the ride

Shoulder

Simply put, Nintendo is becoming a niche market in and of itself (that is if they weren't already). And as long as Nintendo can be successful in what they do, that is all which should matter (yes, I know they're projected to be in the red for the second time in three years). The Wii and DS were unique scenarios since nothing before then was ever like that, but now with the mobile market, and other folks moving onto other things, it does present challenges for Nintendo's audience. Nintendo had this big audience with the DS and Wii, but failed to capture a good portion of them with the 3DS and Wii U. The 3DS' case is slightly different as it's comparable to the Gameboy days, while the Wii U is on track to be worse than the GCN, from a sales standpoint.
As I've said, Nintendo likely got cocky figuring their audience would jump at the opportunity in getting a 3DS and Wii U, but unfortunately that did not happen. Most of the Wii owners moved onto other platforms, the mobile, and/or stopped playing games altogether. It also didn't help that Nintendo has been good with their Japanese audience, but their foreign markets (our domestic), they've been lacking in reaching out. Here's hoping this year they can capitalize on that to help drive the Wii U.
In the end though, it won't change my perception of the Wii U as I own the console, and love playing games on it. The only thing to worry is future 3rd party support, because Indies can only do so much for that 3rd party support, while the AAA companies need to be the driving force.

I dont think so.

Did you see AAA third parties on the Wii? Nope.

They were full of niche games. AKA what I love. If they arent making those then Indies will have to do it.

Consoles are pushing themselves to redundant PC-lites.

Like the Vita.

Shoulder

I dont think so.

Did you see AAA third parties on the Wii? Nope.

They were full of niche games. AKA what I love. If they arent making those then Indies will have to do it.

Consoles are pushing themselves to redundant PC-lites.

Like the Vita.

I will say that I think Indies will become a driving force in the near future as opposed to the AAA publishers, but for now having some sort of AAA support would be helpful. But, maybe I'm wrong, and Nintendo can survive on 1st and 2nd party, while bringing in the Indies, and not rely on AAA companies. They've done it before, and for years, so maybe that can actually sustain it.

Ex-Actarus

Am I the only one who went through this shit last year?

Nintendo's been extremely cagey since this generation started. I dont take it as a bad sign considering their past behavior.

They seem to be taking the overnight castle route.

Clearly that route did not pay off, and that's an understatement.

One of the major flaws of the Wii U has been the marketing.

The system is not selling and you have the biggest killer ap around, you would expect Nintendo to market the game at un unprecedented level.

Goodtwin

There was a rumor that Nintendo scored an exclusive that was going to piss people off more than Bayonetta 2 did, I hope this rumor turns out to be true. They need persuade some of those Xbox and Playstation gamers to bite the bullet and buy a Wii U, and the only way to do that is offer something that they really want. For some people, games like Mario and Zelda are great, but they may not be willing to buy hardware just to play those games. Games like Bayonetta 2 can push a totally different segment of the market to look at the Wii U as a viable product to purchase. Nintendo has great relationships with a lot of Japanese developers, some of them could use a good partner right now as they too struggle to succeed with the new AAA mold that has become the industry standard in the west.

There are talks of retailers in Europe dropping Wii U if Mario Kart doesnt turn things around, they are of course asking for a price drop as well, but shit is starting to hit the fan. Wii U has done a lot better here in the US than it has in Europe, but retailers will lose patience pretty quickly.

On a seperate note just to throw some mudd at someone other than Nintendo, Microsoft shipped 3.9 million Xbox Ones in 2013, and VGchartz shows sales at 3.2 million right now. Lots of inventory on the shelves. These pyramids of Xbox Ones at retailers isnt just to promote the product, they are overstocked right now. The Xbox One bashing articles arent far off. There will be all sorts of praise the PS4 with articles declaring it the clear winner of this generation after just a few months. Its going to be fun to watch.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
A few things I've found interesting glancing at VGC:
  • It's mostly because of it not being out in Japan, but the PS4 isn't looking like the next Wii in terms of sales at the moment. In the Wii's first full sales week in 2007 it sold an unprecedented 251,498 WW (US: 84,524 EU: 56,446 JP: 95,723 OT: 14,805), meanwhile the PS4 manged to sell a still extremely impressive 187,997 (US: 67,868 EU: 81,744 OT: 38,385).
  • It may have something to do with stock, but in the US the Xbox brand is in the lead with the Xbox One selling 69,025 during the first full sales week of 2014 in the US while the PS4 sold 67,868. Meanwhile in the EU the PS4 is killing the X1 with 81,744 units sold while the X1 sold only 25,054.AC4 is currently performing better by about 25K units on the Wii U than AC3 did in the same span of time with 120,909 units sold. Based off what I've heard this also means Ubisoft has now made a small profit off the game.

There was a rumor that Nintendo scored an exclusive that was going to piss people off more than Bayonetta 2 did, I hope this rumor turns out to be true. They need persuade some of those Xbox and Playstation gamers to bite the bullet and buy a Wii U, and the only way to do that is offer something that they really want. For some people, games like Mario and Zelda are great, but they may not be willing to buy hardware just to play those games. Games like Bayonetta 2 can push a totally different segment of the market to look at the Wii U as a viable product to purchase. Nintendo has great relationships with a lot of Japanese developers, some of them could use a good partner right now as they too struggle to succeed with the new AAA mold that has become the industry standard in the west.

There are talks of retailers in Europe dropping Wii U if Mario Kart doesnt turn things around, they are of course asking for a price drop as well, but shit is starting to hit the fan. Wii U has done a lot better here in the US than it has in Europe, but retailers will lose patience pretty quickly.

On a seperate note just to throw some mudd at someone other than Nintendo, Microsoft shipped 3.9 million Xbox Ones in 2013, and VGchartz shows sales at 3.2 million right now. Lots of inventory on the shelves. These pyramids of Xbox Ones at retailers isnt just to promote the product, they are overstocked right now. The Xbox One bashing articles arent far off. There will be all sorts of praise the PS4 with articles declaring it the clear winner of this generation after just a few months. Its going to be fun to watch.
Star Wars Wii U might have been the game they were alluding to, for Nintendo sake i hope they were speaking of another game that is equally as disruptive to people who aren't currently looking into the system. Nintendo has to have some game changing cards to play for Wii U if they still are allowing it to tank the way it is while losing money on every consoled sold. Now would be a good time to announce some of the megatons because Microsoft/Sony have started off really well but also don't have that many games coming out the first half of this year, thus giving Nintendo room to steal the spotlight to build momentum. Some great well placed announcements can be a way the Wii U has a chance at being taken seriously again like it was before it launched. By the time Mario Kart launches the outlook for the Wii U should be much more optimistic from a consumers perspective.

Identifying the Wii U's main issues

Iwata also cleaned house on the NOA board previously.

Considering they werent doing shit.

I think he's looking for a new CEO over there.

Iwata has seen through the success of the GBA,DS,3DS and Wii. He
takes paycuts and he refuses to fire people. That's more than any other
gaming CEO can say. He doesnt deserve credit for any of those machines,
but he's been piloting the ship with those on his rap. HIs own
instructions caused the WIiU its problems, its time he fixed them.

Speaking of WiiU's problems, they stem from 3 things. First is the
bad word of mouth.Seriously it had that fr an entire year before launch,
and for another year after. Mainly due to most of Nintendo's software
teams being moved to fix the 3DS situation.

Regarding the gamepad, Nintendo did the same thing they did with
they did with the Wii. Made some things to showcase the idea then they’d
implement it in full force later.

With the WiiU that was Nintendoland, Wii Party U , Wii Fit U,Game And Wario ect.

All of that got delayed except NintendoLand.

Problem with the gamepad is, its applications are more useful in the enthusiast gamer space.

Like in Strategy/Horror.Action/Puzzle/RPG games and the like. With
the WiiU its not going to light everyone on fire in that manner

Which is the second part. Messaging. Its all over the damn place with this machine.

Third part? Perception issue, Nintendo own perception, compounded
with the perception of some folks, who aren’t exactly willing to spend
money on what they think is a Nintendo 360. The fact that there are some
developers who haven’t even used the machine who think its weak is
another problem in of itself. ( IE PC devs who only look at its
theoretical performance rather than look at what the machine’s design,
architecture set up, aspects of the GPU and CPU itself and the
like,(what they’re customized for specifically) So the performance
perceptions are out of whack, Digital Foundry’s blasting of ports
doesn’t help either, considering most of them are done in the most
timely fashion with the least resources that half the time still come
out better than the last gen versions do to either somewhat better
graphics and the absence of screen tearing , in exchange for slightly
lower Fps at some small times among others. Plus the WiiU does this
while pulling drastically less energy, with a lot less optimization. It
got darksiders 2 running as it is in 2 weeks.

(Seriously low wattage count.) Have the WiiU running next gen games and it pull like 70 watts.

Imagine how different this would all be if Crysis 3 came out?

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/20/cr...espected-deve/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/cry.../1100-6404763/

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...rks_are_popped

Any problems about “next gen porting” chatter shouldn’t be about,
now. Maybe in 4 years. All the middleware runs on the WiiU pretty much.

But we’d be getting a new console with in 5/6 years. So there is that issue solved.

It mainly comes down to money.

Ergo the console sales

In some cases downporting from a PC is cheaper than redoing last gen
code for the WiiU. And for Ubisoft, making a WiiU port only costs like
1.3 million $

AC4 apparently sold 120k on the WiiU. That covers 1 million and more at a 30$-60$ rate.

Operation Rainfall may have had something to do with the games being released in America, but not in Europe/Australia.

Mainly considering the fact NIntendo of Europe strategy of trying to
get people to buy locally has been in effect since 2009. Thats why
Europe has been getting games and cool shit early from NIntendo.

Since 2010 its seems like NIntendo's been trying to kill the Wii.
They took out features, ( backwards compatibility, Wii Mini takes out
everything else ect ect

Its like they were setting up for WiiU to absorb the Wii's success,
but they fucked that up. That's why its named so similar and looks sort
of similar to the Wii. That's why the focused on the gamepad ( the key
differentiator)

But again they fucked that all up. Thats why this device for "the
core gamers" had this weird dubstep commercials at launch, but the "core
gamers" dont want the WiiU right now.

WiiU's trying to do too much and its not succeeding at any one of them.

But there is small hope for it. When 3D World Came out, the following month was the one where it sold the most it ever has.

So Nintendo has to focus it. and get the games out. They already
have strong indie support, they need to make Watch Dogs and Project Cars
a success

What they need are games, that people cant ignore. Games that make
use of the WiiU and delight and surprise people in their freshness. Like
how TW101 does. Except they need to be more accessible.

Just to note, Wii U is on track to do better than the N64 if it does 3.91 every 10 months for the next 7 years.
If it meets Nintendo's forecast and does 6.25 every year for the next 8 years, it'll do better than the SNES.

Ex-Actarus

A few things I've found interesting glancing at VGC:
  • It's mostly because of it not being out in Japan, but the PS4 isn't looking like the next Wii in terms of sales at the moment. In the Wii's first full sales week in 2007 it sold an unprecedented 251,498 WW (US: 84,524 EU: 56,446 JP: 95,723 OT: 14,805), meanwhile the PS4 manged to sell a still extremely impressive 187,997 (US: 67,868 EU: 81,744 OT: 38,385).
  • It may have something to do with stock, but in the US the Xbox brand is in the lead with the Xbox One selling 69,025 during the first full sales week of 2014 in the US while the PS4 sold 67,868. Meanwhile in the EU the PS4 is killing the X1 with 81,744 units sold while the X1 sold only 25,054.AC4 is currently performing better by about 25K units on the Wii U than AC3 did in the same span of time with 120,909 units sold. Based off what I've heard this also means Ubisoft has now made a small profit off the game.

I've said it before and I will said it again.

The last NPD data were a bad news for ALL THE INDUSTRY not just Nintendo.

Despite the two new consoles, the videogames business was on decline year over year.

Actually as you can see in the link below, the videogame industry has been on the constant decline since... 2008 !!!

http://www.gamekult.com/actu/image-charts-us-le-bilan-de-2013-A128587-ME3050217817i.html

So the industry has not been saved yet and despite its incredible start the PS4 has a long way to go before reaching the Wii...

EvilTw1n

Actually as you can see in the link below, the videogame industry has been on the constant decline since... 2008 !!!

http://www.gamekult.com/actu/image-charts-us-le-bilan-de-2013-A128587-ME3050217817i.html
Begs the question if the 2007-2008-ish range was actually an outlier, not a new normal.

http://www.gamasutra.com/db_area/images/feature/3906/historical-revenue-1997-2008.png

I'm not too sure who expected game sales to be at an all time high the end of a console generation. According to your chart EX, the decline seems to have stabilized around where gaming was in 2006. That's not bad.

Begs the question if the 2007-2008-ish range was actually an outlier, not a new normal.

http://www.gamasutra.com/db_area/images/feature/3906/historical-revenue-1997-2008.png
Which is pretty surprising to me as I thought the success of the PS2 would made a spike in the graph.

Shoulder

Which is pretty surprising to me as I thought the success of the PS2 would made a spike in the graph.

I think it's because there were quite a lot of people who only bought a PS2 because it could be used as a DVD player. It was small, and relatively cheap at the time if I remember correctly compared to dedicated DVD players.

Wii > PS2 confirmed.
All joking aside, it's pretty amazing how Nintendo got games like Brawl and Mario Kart Wii to sell 12.03 and 34.29 million respectively. Both these games didn't even use motion controls (except for option to use the wii wheel in Mario Kart). Both these franchises happen to be the next two games in line for the Wii U. Whatever kind of clever advertising was done back in 08', I hope Nintendo brings that same heat in 2014.

Also, something about vgchartz...
They haven't updated their Wii U sales with the information provided by Nintendo since the end of December 2012. They were off since Q3 2012 by 36%, 21%, 13%, and 10%. Chances are they'll be off by 8% for Q3 2013, which would put Wii U sales at 5.79 million.

Many people want things for free, or all nintendo eggs into one basket, I personally don't think that smart move. But i also would hope to allow NOA to make the next console choice not just japan

Goodtwin

Also, something about vgchartz...
They haven't updated their Wii U sales with the information provided by Nintendo since the end of December 2012. They were off since Q3 2012 by 36%, 21%, 13%, and 10%. Chances are they'll be off by 8% for Q3 2013, which would put Wii U sales at 5.79 million.

They under tracked Wii U in the NA by a decent amount for December according to the NPD results, so VGchartz does tend to undertrack Wii U sales so far. VGchartz isn't bad, but any numbers they post should give a fudge factor of about 10%, and probably more than that for the first few weeks. Their estimates aren't based on nothing, but are in fact estimates.

EvilTw1n

They under tracked Wii U in the NA by a decent amount for December according to the NPD results, so VGchartz does tend to undertrack Wii U sales so far. VGchartz isn't bad, but any numbers they post should give a fudge factor of about 10%, and probably more than that for the first few weeks. Their estimates aren't based on nothing, but are in fact estimates.
The one thing I'll give VGC is that they pretty much acknowledge their estimates aren't perfect. And for all of their accuracy, NPD is making estimates, too (and they do the same thing as VGC - go back and make revisions).