Wii U / 3DS sales thread

Goodtwin

What do you guys think about a price drop? For some reason there are some people are absolutely against a price drop for the Wii U. I personally feel that they should wait for some games to accompany that price drop, but that one needs to take place later this year. I really feel that they need to scrap the basic model and just sell the Deluxe. There is cost associated with having two models, and the extras in the Deluxe model dont really add $50 worth of cost on nintendo's end. I think they could get the Deluxe model to $249 without taking much of a loss if they hold off until Q4 this year. Support is already gone from EA, if Nintendo finishes the year with only around 6-7 million units sold, support from other publishers could start to thin.

Part of me feels like Nintendo is coming to terms with the fact that they have more in common with Indie developers in terms of game development, and that has been a bigger focus, more so than acquiring support from the big publishers. When a developer makes a game to go on Steam and the eshop, even if it only sells 25k on the eshop that can be more than enough sales to maintain the platform as an attractive outlet for their games. Nintendo has had to change their business practices multiple times to work better with others, but it really feels like Nintendo has made the most progress with Indies, and are perfectly fine with not be the console of choice for games like Call of Duty and Assassins Creed.

I'm not against a price drop, I mean, it will increase sales, but it's just that a price drop doesn't really make sense to me at the moment. Wii U's problem isn't that it's not worth it's value, but rather that what makes Wii U worth it's value hasn't come yet. A lot of my friends know the console exists by now, but they aren't excited about it until they hear about a new Zelda game or a new Mario Kart etc. People will buy the Wii U at it's current sellnig price when they see those first party games on the system.
I'm okay with them discontinuing the Basic Model, I think it's completely pointless.
EA also hasn't dropped Nintendo, they aren't supporting them at the moment

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
What do you guys think about a price drop? For some reason there are some people are absolutely against a price drop for the Wii U. I personally feel that they should wait for some games to accompany that price drop, but that one needs to take place later this year. I really feel that they need to scrap the basic model and just sell the Deluxe. There is cost associated with having two models, and the extras in the Deluxe model dont really add $50 worth of cost on nintendo's end. I think they could get the Deluxe model to $249 without taking much of a loss if they hold off until Q4 this year. Support is already gone from EA, if Nintendo finishes the year with only around 6-7 million units sold, support from other publishers could start to thin.

Part of me feels like Nintendo is coming to terms with the fact that they have more in common with Indie developers in terms of game development, and that has been a bigger focus, more so than acquiring support from the big publishers. When a developer makes a game to go on Steam and the eshop, even if it only sells 25k on the eshop that can be more than enough sales to maintain the platform as an attractive outlet for their games. Nintendo has had to change their business practices multiple times to work better with others, but it really feels like Nintendo has made the most progress with Indies, and are perfectly fine with not be the console of choice for games like Call of Duty and Assassins Creed.
As Aces said, I'm not really against a price drop, either. It can obviously work wonders. Just look at the 3DS. At this point, I think it has to happen, because the Wii U is just not going to be on a sales trajectory that lets it keep a higher price. And I also agree that junking the Basic model may not be a bad idea. Two SKUs was a good idea on paper, though. It might still be, depending on what the price structure would be. If they do a 3DS-style dramatic cut, and the Basic set goes down to $199, that would fly off the shelves.

I think the second part of your post is the really interesting point, though, mj. I agree that Nintendo has a lot more in common with the indie scene than the AAA blockbuster crowd. If Nintendo can sustain themselves with FP games and indie releases, they'd probably be more than happy to tell other publishers to take a hike. It goes back to that whole "powerful dinosaurs" metaphor. The lot in Kyoto aren't shooting to be a Tyrannosaurus. It costs too much, and unless you have a huge conglomerate backing up your losses, it simply isn't a business model that works.

Goodtwin

Thats kind of the way I feel, and the AAA budget business model isnt working to hot for lots of publishers. THQ went out of business, SqaureEnix took massive losses, and even EA just had a round of layoffs. I think that in a lot of ways Indies are actually more free to come up with creative ways to utilize the gamepad. Big publishers rule the roost with their developers, so they have limited flexibility with their games. Wii U is going to be its own thing. The eshop could very well be the thing that drive the Wii U for years to come. Nintendo's first party games will sell hardware, but it may very well be the Indies and eshop titles that keep gamers coming back to the system. Its coming to the point where there are almost as many Indie developers that I follow as mainstream developers. If Shin'en is releasing a new title in the eshop, I want to know about it, if Frozenbyte is releasing a new game, I am interested. A lot of genre's have been put on the shelf simply because the demand isnt there to sell millions, but Indies dont care about that because they can be successful with 100K in sales, instead of needing well over a million. I also thing that people are gravitating towards cheaper software. The amount of people that will impulse buy a $60 game isnt nearly as high as the amount of people that will impulse buy a $5-20 game. For example, a developer is looking to make a spiritual successor to Road Rash, put that game on store shelves for $60 and get ready for a huge flop, put that game on the eshop for $10 and expect an instant success.

There are just so many cinematic games these days, am I playing a game or an interactive movie? What happened to 3d platformers, rpg's, and real time strategy games? I played through half of Black Ops 2 single player before putting down the controller and conceding that the game is complete garbage. Its not even a little bit good. The multiplayer is still fun, but the single player isnt nearly as good as Goldeneye 007 on Wii. Its awful. I really feel like the market has split, there are those that love the graphics, presentation values, and cinematic experience that so many AAA games provide, and then their are those gamers that prefer to play the game more often than watch the game. I thank my lucky stars for digital, without it the market would be very dull very soon.

Dont get me wrong, I like some games that push the boudaries past what Indies can provide in terms of graphics and presentation values as well, but feel that so many genre's have been swept under the rug because they dont fit the cookie cutter mold for success that has become AAA. In a lot of ways, for me, Nintendo finds the right balance with their titles.

EvilTw1n

^
You've kind of hit on why I got back into Nintendo. I was a PlayStation guy for awhile; had an old PS that had to be turned upside before it would work, and I still have a PS2 hooked up to my TV. But I gravitated back to Nintendo with the Wii (first Nintendo console I owned since the NES). I got really burnt out on GTA clones from the PS2 gen, and console FPS didn't really interest me with twin sticks, so the Wii's motion controls hooked me. But games like Fragile, and Muramasa, and Other M, and SMG, and Prime 3, and Trauma Center, and Zelda, and...well, y'know the library by now, but those are the games I ended up gravitating toward. It's not that there aren't great gaming libraries on the 360 and PS3, because there are. But the highest profile titles usually don't interest me. I guess I'm getting a bit more eccentric in my tastes as I age, and Nintendo hits that mark for me.

Which is probably why I only care about sales on the periphery. I'd like to keep Nintendo's brand of eccentricity around. It just so happens that the indie market with digital distribution coincides with Nintendo's brand of business - little marketing overhead, not a ton of sales needed to break a profit.

Wish I had the ability to not purchase a Nintendo console for an entire generation and not feel like something is missing in my household lol (even if I'll only get around to using it once a month).
I just have to have my Nintendo First parties.

Goodtwin

Its kind of funny, I make my post about Indies and then later tonight I read an article stating what I said almost to a T on Nintendolife. Those guys have been big on the Indie scene for quite some time, big supports of Wiiware games over the years. When you really look at it, Nintendo has been pushing people to the eshop from the beginning. The deluxe digital promotion is obviously there to entice consumers to check out content in the eshop. They also had an article up about Shin'en having two Wii U games in the works, thats good new right there.

Goodtwin

Looks like they will release the figures tomorrow, so we should see official Wii U sales numbers tomorrow. Time for VGchartz to clean up their estimates.

Goodtwin

Looks like just shy of 3.5 million Wii U's sold so far, and almost 14 million pieces of software sold. A pretty large difference from what VGchartz has listed, especially for software. I suppose they cant account for digital sales, but I seriously doubt its a 50/50 split with retail and digital sales, retail is almost certainly still the majority of sales. I am optimistic that Nintendo will be able to reach its initial goal of 5.5 million Wii U's sold and 25 million pieces of software prior to the holiday 2013 season.

EvilTw1n

Looks like just shy of 3.5 million Wii U's sold so far, and almost 14 million pieces of software sold. A pretty large difference from what VGchartz has listed, especially for software. I suppose they cant account for digital sales, but I seriously doubt its a 50/50 split with retail and digital sales, retail is almost certainly still the majority of sales. I am optimistic that Nintendo will be able to reach its initial goal of 5.5 million Wii U's sold and 25 million pieces of software prior to the holiday 2013 season.
Did they already edit their numbers? As of right now VGC shows 2.94 million hardware / 6.63 million software.

Goodtwin

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_GameCube

It looks like the Gamecube tracked some 350k better than the Wii U has at this point. This at first glance is somewhat concerning, since many people are predicting the Wii U to have similar success as the Gamecube. There is a couple of things that muddy up the picture so far, Gamecube had Smash Bros, Wave Race, Luigi's Mansion, and Star Wars Rogue Squadron at launch. In my opinion, Gamecube had a much more attractive launch lineup despite have far fewer titles available. The figure to look back on is that the Gamecube was able to sell nearly 10 million units in its first 18 months, but then the pace fell by about 50% after that for the following three and a half years. The real question for Nintendo and the Wii U is how will they maintain the success of the console after the first 18 months? How does Nintendo make sure its selling just as many Wii U's in the year 2016 that they are in the year 2013/2014? Its great to here that their are so many titles coming in the next 12 months, but what about after that? Will Nintendo have blown their wad, and then see a slump in sales similar to that of the Gamecube? Does Nintendo have more partnerships going on behind the scenes than we realize? Maybe Nintendo see's Indie developed games in the eshop as being a huge part of Wii U's long term success?

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_GameCube

It looks like the Gamecube tracked some 350k better than the Wii U has at this point. This at first glance is somewhat concerning, since many people are predicting the Wii U to have similar success as the Gamecube. There is a couple of things that muddy up the picture so far, Gamecube had Smash Bros, Wave Race, Luigi's Mansion, and Star Wars Rogue Squadron at launch. In my opinion, Gamecube had a much more attractive launch lineup despite have far fewer titles available.
The figure to look back on is that the Gamecube was able to sell nearly 10 million units in its first 18 months, but then the pace fell by about 50% after that for the following three and a half years. The real question for Nintendo and the Wii U is how will they maintain the success of the console after the first 18 months? How does Nintendo make sure its selling just as many Wii U's in the year 2016 that they are in the year 2013/2014? Its great to here that their are so many titles coming in the next 12 months, but what about after that? Will Nintendo have blown their wad, and then see a slump in sales similar to that of the Gamecube? Does Nintendo have more partnerships going on behind the scenes than we realize? Maybe Nintendo see's Indie developed games in the eshop as being a huge part of Wii U's long term success?

you're forgetting that the gamecube also came to market a year after ps2, which was an absolute sales beast. i think that hurt initial gcn sales quite a bit. wii u doesn't have that excuse. i think that when you factor in the market environments that the two consoles launched in, the gcn did significantly better than wii u.

EvilTw1n

^
Yes and no. The Wii U also launched against a gen with an extraordinary late-cycle burst of life. It was the only new console on the market, but what's the use in that when Black Ops 2, Need For Speed: Most Wanted and Assassin's Creed III were also available to play on consoles people already owned? To me, that's probably the biggest problem it has had. It didn't make sense for lots of people to pay $300-$350 extra to play a game they could already play on a console they own. That problem is unique between the GameCube and Wii U.

Ex-Actarus

We were saying for months that the Wii U sales were abyssimal.
I was really optimistic about the second part of the year, but the sales projection for the Wii U for the next fiscal year are REALLY low.
I mean 9 million units ? That's what I was expecting for the US market...
Does that means that some high profile titles will be pushed back ?
Does this explain the late release of Pikmin ( only in August ) ?
I hope E3 will answer all those questions.
That said it's too early to make comparison with the Gamecube.
But those numbers should be a WARNING for Nintendo that they will need more than Mario, Zelda and Pokemon to turn things around.
The Gamecube had those titles and it was a sales disaster...

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
^
Yes and no. The Wii U also launched against a gen with an extraordinary late-cycle burst of life. It was the only new console on the market, but what's the use in that when Black Ops 2, Need For Speed: Most Wanted and Assassin's Creed III were also available to play on consoles people already owned? To me, that's probably the biggest problem it has had. It didn't make sense for lots of people to pay $300-$350 extra to play a game they could already play on a console they own. That problem is unique between the GameCube and Wii U.
that's all true, but it really just goes back to what goodtwin was saying - the launch games for wii u were not compelling enough to get people to buy the system. yes wii u had ton of games to play at launch, but nothing worth dropping 300-350 bucks on. at least not in most people's opinions (apparently). so yes, that's one of the reasons wii u is selling so poorly.
i think it would be doing even worse though if ps4 or xbox3 had launched in 2011 and sold like crazy, which was the case with gcn. so when you compare the two launches, gcn was born into a much tougher market, but wii u had a much worse launch due to the games situation. for that reason, even though the sales numbers are similar, i think gcn's launch was much stronger with all things considered.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
I was really optimistic about the second part of the year, but the sales projection for the Wii U for the next fiscal year are REALLY low.
But those numbers should be a WARNING for Nintendo that they will need more than Mario, Zelda and Pokemon to turn things around.
i think the wii u will outsell gamecube for the simple fact that the market has grown so much over the last decade. i really have no idea what kind of numbers it needs to put up for nintendo to look back and call it a "success" though. i'm not sure i've ever seen them comment on that.

Goodtwin

^
Yep, and to make things worse Nintendo didn't transition from one generation to the next quickly enough. The Wii had very poor software support in 2011. Other than Zelda Skyward Sword, there was very little to keep their userbase busy and satisfied after 2010. A ton of Nintendo's hardcore user-base on Wii moved on to the 360 or PS3, consoles that were having numerous high profile releases while Wii was dying on the vine. Its going to take some high profile first party software to persuade a lot of these gamers to buy a Wii U. Gamecube launched with 4-5 highly anticipated exclusives, the Wii U launched with a bunch of ports. Another thing to consider is that the economy was in much better shape in 2001. I think the economy is in a place now where consumers can and will spend money, but they are a bit more hesitant to make expensive purchases on a whim. If its something they really want, they will buy it, but as of right now its a console with a lot of games "coming" that people will want, and very few stand out titles to really sell consumers on the hardware.

Ex-Actarus

i think the wii u will outsell gamecube for the simple fact that the market has grown so much over the last decade. i really have no idea what kind of numbers it needs to put up for nintendo to look back and call it a "success" though. i'm not sure i've ever seen them comment on that.
Honestly if the Wii U can sell more than 60 million units that will be great for Nintendo.
That would be in line with NES numbers.
The problem is that i don't see that happening because the Wii U is not a long term platform.
Do you see the Wii U outhere until 2018 ?
Nintendo will need to come with another console sooner than expected...

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
^
Yep, and to make things worse Nintendo didn't transition from one generation to the next quickly enough. The Wii had very poor software support in 2011. Other than Zelda Skyward Sword, there was very little to keep their userbase busy and satisfied after 2010. A ton of Nintendo's hardcore user-base on Wii moved on to the 360 or PS3, consoles that were having numerous high profile releases while Wii was dying on the vine. Its going to take some high profile first party software to persuade a lot of these gamers to buy a Wii U. Gamecube launched with 4-5 highly anticipated exclusives, the Wii U launched with a bunch of ports. Another thing to consider is that the economy was in much better shape in 2001. I think the economy is in a place now where consumers can and will spend money, but they are a bit more hesitant to make expensive purchases on a whim. If its something they really want, they will buy it, but as of right now its a console with a lot of games "coming" that people will want, and very few stand out titles to really sell consumers on the hardware.
i agree that 2011-present has hurt nintendo's image among gamers with the lack of high-profile games. no doubt about that, really. i hate seeing people put the blame on the economy though. when i see people lining up around store corners to drop like $500 on apple's annual ipad/iphone releases, i don't see why a games console can't do the same thing. if ms/sony/nintendo could capture even a quarter of that audience, their console would be considered a phenomenal success. people are still willing to drop big bucks on shit they don't need, you just have to make them want it. i imagine that's one of the reasons the economy's had all this trouble in the first place haha.

Ex-Actarus

^
i agree that 2011-present has hurt nintendo's image among gamers with the lack of high-profile games. no doubt about that, really. i hate seeing people put the blame on the economy though. when i see people lining up around store corners to drop like $500 on apple's annual ipad/iphone releases, i don't see why a games console can't do the same thing. if ms/sony/nintendo could capture even a quarter of that audience, their console would be considered a phenomenal success. people are still willing to drop big bucks on shit they don't need, you just have to make them want it. i imagine that's one of the reasons the economy's had all this trouble in the first place haha.
I don't think Iwata will be in place next year if Nintendo miss the sales forecast again.
I think he needs to go.
The lack of 3rd party support is unacceptable !!!

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite

Honestly if the Wii U can sell more than 60 million units that will be great for Nintendo.
That would be in line with NES numbers.
The problem is that i don't see that happening because the Wii U is not a long term platform.
Do you see the Wii U outhere until 2018 ?
Nintendo will need to come with another console sooner than expected...
been hearing that for 7 years now haha

there's a very real problem with their new habit of releasing low-spec hardware. we'll see how it plays out for them this time around though. i know i'll be buying it for mario karts, metroids and zeldas, but i don't see it being my platform of choice for any multiplat games assuming i have xbox3/ps4. it just wouldn't make sense to get the "ghetto" version of multiplats. devs may see it the same way, leading to history repeating itself with the whole 3rd party thing. it's really too early to say for sure though.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
^
I don't think Iwata will be in place next year if Nintendo miss the sales forecast again.
I think he needs to go.
The lack of 3rd party support is unacceptable !!!
i think this move with iwata heading up NOA is the beginning of his transition out of the global CEO role. he'll remain with nintendo, but they don't see any way he can make good on his 100 billion yen commitment.

Goodtwin

^

Yea, but it does have to be something people really want. People are picking and choosing where they spend their extra cash. There is still a ton of consumers dollars being spent on things they dont need, but there isnt as many of those consumer dollars to go around. For example, 5 years ago gas in the US was under 2 bucks a gallon. Its now around 3.50, thats about $100 dollars per month for your average person just in gas, something they have no choice but to buy. So thats $100 per month that people dont have to spend going out to eat or buying new merchandise. Currently, Wii U simply isnt a product that the mass market wants. It doesnt have the games to justify the purchase for the majority of gamers. In a better economy, you would mostly likely have more people buy the console early in anticipation of whats to come. In the current economy, those same people will hold off until the software truly justify s the purchase. Theres no question that the economy is not good and that it does have a negative impact on retail sales in general. Is it the sole reason the Wii U isnt doing better? No, absolutely not. Its probably one of the smaller hurdles to its success, but it is a hurdle none the less.

EvilTw1n

that's all true, but it really just goes back to what goodtwin was saying - the launch games for wii u were not compelling enough to get people to buy the system. yes wii u had ton of games to play at launch, but nothing worth dropping 300-350 bucks on. at least not in most people's opinions (apparently). so yes, that's one of the reasons wii u is selling so poorly.

i think it would be doing even worse though if ps4 or xbox3 had launched in 2011 and sold like crazy, which was the case with gcn. so when you compare the two launches, gcn was born into a much tougher market, but wii u had a much worse launch due to the games situation. for that reason, even though the sales numbers are similar, i think gcn's launch was much stronger with all things considered.
On the first part, I think we all three came up with the same opinion, just stating it in different ways - there was no "I must drop $350 to play it" Wii U game. That's chiefly on Nintendo for not delivering a killer app, but also third parties (the nearly 4-1 tie ratio shows that the people who have bought Wii U's must have bought some third party games...but no third party stepped up to deliver something mindbogglingly amazing, even though they were basically gifted a year in the clear with almost no FP competition). No killer app is, IMO, the reason the console's sales flagged after the holidays.

So I'm not sure I'd really put the GC ahead. It didn't launch against two consoles (with 70 million sold each) getting truly solid software releases, and it did
launch with a good library of games. But the GC did have to combat a cheap DVD player, which was a huge issue at the time.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite

On the first part, I think we all three came up with the same opinion, just stating it in different ways - there was no "I must drop $350 to play it" Wii U game. That's chiefly on Nintendo for not delivering a killer app, but also third parties (the nearly 4-1 tie ratio shows that the people who have bought Wii U's must have bought some third party games...but no third party stepped up to deliver something mindbogglingly amazing, even though they were basically gifted a year in the clear with almost no FP competition). No killer app is, IMO, the reason the console's sales flagged after the holidays.

So I'm not sure I'd really put the GC ahead. It didn't launch against two consoles (with 70 million sold each) getting truly solid software releases, and it did
launch with a good library of games. But the GC did have to combat a cheap DVD player, which was a huge issue at the time.
yeah we all agree that games is the number one issue. no doubt. the cube was up against a lot of good stuff though. you should check out the best games of 2001. it was a much better year than 2012 IMO. if i was in the business of selling consoles, i'd much rather go up against the games of 2012 than the games of 2001.

I don't think it's really news that the Wii U isn't selling as well as it could be.
Sales are expected to go down if they aren't marketing the console. I just saw another 3DS commercial today, but none for Wii U.
Just wait until E3 and Q3/Q4 (Or whenever it is Nintendo decides to release their big hitters. Sales will pick up.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
Quality software will help, but it's going to struggle even with Mario just like the Gamecube did. Nintendo needs a game that sells people on the gamepad, because right now in a world of ipads and smartphones, people aren't biting.

Goodtwin

Is the Wii U setting monthly records right now? I mean seriously, has a console ever done this poorly 6 months after launch?

I am confident that Nintendo will get things going again during the holiday season, but for retailers and investors that probably seems like a lifetime away.

Ex-Actarus

Is the Wii U setting monthly records right now? I mean seriously, has a console ever done this poorly 6 months after launch?

I am confident that Nintendo will get things going again during the holiday season, but for retailers and investors that probably seems like a lifetime away.
Even the Gamecube was selling better than that.
But to be fair, the May sales have been brutal for all systems.
PS3 and 360 numbers were terrible to.
The Next gen consoles can't come soon enough.
The worrying thing for the the Wii U is that the situation won't improve until Pikmin 3...

Ex-Actarus

do you think pikmin is a system seller?
NOPE.
But sales will improve for sure.
But don't expect 300 K in August ( unless there is a price cute ).
150 K would be glorious, under the current circumstances...
I expect Pikmin 3 to sell 250 K that month.

EvilTw1n

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1259249/nope_lana_archer.gif

Neither is NSLU. You can make an argument that WW HD and 3D World are, though. And then you place those games in a lineup with Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong and Wonderful 101 (combined with some Ubi love - AC IV, Splinter Cell, Rayman and Watch_Dogs), and you can make an argument for a system-selling lineup. That seems to be what Nintendo is betting on, after pretty much writing off the first half of 2013 altogether.

I think the combo of Pikmin, Rayman, W101, and their improved marketing will have better results. With better marketing, they might have been able to avoid some of this slump, but this is the worst year for all video games in general in a long time.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
I personally think it is, just not in a "Wii Sports--i.e. everyone bought a Wii just for this game" way, but more of a "Monster Hunter U--i.e. people actually started buying the Wii U again" way. I fully expect a 250+% increase world wide for the month of August over the months of July.

Ex-Actarus

I personally think it is, just not in a "Wii Sports--i.e. everyone bought a Wii just for this game" way, but more of a "Monster Hunter U--i.e. people actually started buying the Wii U again" way. I fully expect a 250+% increase world wide for the month of August over the months of July.

A 250 % increase seems spectacular.

But from a 30 K in May it would mean 105 K.

That would be really low... Not even what the 360 did in May.

I'm more optimistic than you here :)

I actually agree with NintendoMan.

The conjunction of several key Wii U titles and a better marketing will clearly drive sales.

But will it be enough ?

Those titles should have come way earlier.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk

A 250 % increase seems spectacular.

But from a 30 K in May it would mean 105 K.

That would be really low... Not even what the 360 did in May.

I'm more optimistic than you here :)
The pessimism from other boards I post at must be getting to me :p But yeah 150K in the US would be totally awesome (for what it's been selling lately), that's more then the 360 and PS3 did in their first August meaning the Wii U could finally start filling up that 1 million sales gap.

It's bad, seriously. Wind waker won't make a dent, it didn't move gamecubes, why would it move WiiUs?.

Pikmin? No, 3d mario? I wouldn't hold my breath, unless nintendo truly makes a massive campaign. Mario kart Is a maybe. Smash Bros, I'm not sure.

About the rest, no just no. Maybe in numbers but not by itself.

And smartphones are not comparable to consoles, not at all!!!!!!

Only two models sell well, the iPhone and the galaxy S series that's it, and most people buys the heavily subsidized models at less than 200 usd. From the millions sold, i dare to say that less than 20% are bbought at full price. Besides, gaming is still seen as an unmature hobby, while having the latest smartphone is a status symbol.

Goodtwin

It's bad, seriously. Wind waker won't make a dent, it didn't move gamecubes, why would it move WiiUs?.

Pikmin? No, 3d mario? I wouldn't hold my breath, unless nintendo truly makes a massive campaign. Mario kart Is a maybe. Smash Bros, I'm not sure.

Not sure where your getting your info, but Wind Waker sold nearly 4 million units on a console that sold 22 million units in its lifetime. Not saying I think Wind Waker is going to make a lasting improvement to Wii U sales for the long term, but it will definitely help move units in October. Pikmin I dont see making a huge improvement to hardware sales either, maybe a bumping hardware sales in the US to 100k for the month of August, but maybe not even that high. Its going to be the month on month releases that get the momentum going. Having Pikmin, Wind Waker, Donkey Kong Country, Mario 3D Land, Wonderful 101, and Rayman Legends are going to secure a very strong holiday season. Having all those titles in the market, Nintendo games sell strong for years after all, will make a for a lasting momentum. Not to mention that Mario Kart and Smash Bros will then be just around the corner in 2014. If you dont think that the lineup for Wii U later this year is going to move units then you must truly feel that the market for Nintendo games has evaporated, and that makes little sense seeing as how the 3DS is doing very well, with games like Mario 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion and Donkey Kong Country Returns leading the sales charts.

EvilTw1n

Its going to be the month on month releases that get the momentum going. Having Pikmin, Wind Waker, Donkey Kong Country, Mario 3D Land, Wonderful 101, and Rayman Legends are going to secure a very strong holiday season. Having all those titles in the market, Nintendo games sell strong for years after all, will make a for a lasting momentum. Not to mention that Mario Kart and Smash Bros will then be just around the corner in 2014.

If anyone missed it, this isn't even a secret anymore. This is Nintendo's strategy that they talk about openly.

Fils-Aime related one other interesting note related to Wii. Nintendo's blockbuster, motion-based console certainly had a killer-app in the form of the packed-in, free Wii Sports, but to Fils-Aime, the platform surged at a different point. "The inflection point of our Wii business actually changed when we had that sequence of Smash Bros., Mario Kart, and Wii Fit," Fils-Aime said. "That’s why we’re so focused on making sure we have this sequencing of games to drive Wii U, essentially beginning now."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/21/for-nintendo-the-impossible-is-possible?page=2
They're counting on the Wii U having legs with a murderer's row of titles, including the same two (Kart and Smash) that gave the Wii legs.

Aki

Smash Bros and Mario Kart launching back to back is the best. Now, imagine fi they followed that up with Metroid for the core fans. It would make Wii U the hottest thing out regardless of what the competition is doing.

Not sure where your getting your info, but Wind Waker sold nearly 4 million units on a console that sold 22 million units in its lifetime. Not saying I think Wind Waker is going to make a lasting improvement to Wii U sales for the long term, but it will definitely help move units in October. Pikmin I dont see making a huge improvement to hardware sales either, maybe a bumping hardware sales in the US to 100k for the month of August, but maybe not even that high. Its going to be the month on month releases that get the momentum going. Having Pikmin, Wind Waker, Donkey Kong Country, Mario 3D Land, Wonderful 101, and Rayman Legends are going to secure a very strong holiday season. Having all those titles in the market, Nintendo games sell strong for years after all, will make a for a lasting momentum. Not to mention that Mario Kart and Smash Bros will then be just around the corner in 2014. If you dont think that the lineup for Wii U later this year is going to move units then you must truly feel that the market for Nintendo games has evaporated, and that makes little sense seeing as how the 3DS is doing very well, with games like Mario 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion and Donkey Kong Country Returns leading the sales charts.
But how many gamecubes did it sell? Not many, if any. It could be good for users who already have a wiiu, but it won't do much to help selling the console.

Pikmin 3 is a no, and I wish the best for the rest.