Wii U / 3DS sales thread

Ex-Actarus

Yes incredible sales for Nintendo in Japan indeed. It must be a bizarre situation for Nintendo to see the Wii U sell over 100k in a week when they will bring the NX probably in less than a year... The Wii U is selling because of 2 games : Splatoon and Mario Maker. How just 2 games drive console sales for this long while the PS4 has big games releasing every week in the meantime ? Very impressive !

I'm pretty sure Nintendo execs must be scratching their heads right now. Yes they were expecting Splatoon to sell well in the long term ( as many Nintendo titles do ), but to sell that much for this long ? As I said in a previous post, Splatoon sales are unprecedented on many levels, now the big question for me is where Nintendo goes from here ? Will Nintendo see Splatoon sales as : "Gamers want more new IPs from us" ? I really hope so...

@TechnoHobbit any expert inputs from your side :)

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
Just that the Wii U's sales in Japan have pretty much guaranteed Wii U sales being even worldwide YOY if not up. And that Splatoon really is amazing, I have no doubt it will become a core franchise for Nintendo. Splatoon will easily become the best selling Wii U game in Japan, possibly by as early as the end of this month.

Ex-Actarus

Just that the Wii U's sales in Japan have pretty much guaranteed Wii U sales being even worldwide YOY if not up. And that Splatoon really is amazing, I have no doubt it will become a core franchise for Nintendo. Splatoon will easily become the best selling Wii U game in Japan, possibly by as early as the end of this month.
Always good to see the Resident Sales expert back in business :)

I just hope that the better than expected Wii U overall numbers ( boosted by Japanese sales mainly ), won't mean the NX will come sooner rather than later...

I simply cannot imagine a NX releasing in 2017, waiting until holidays 2017 ? Could you imagine ? How would the Wii U survive until then ? Now that interview from Tatsumi Kimishima was from a Japanese website, so it was maybe more targeted to the Japanese market. I could see Nintendo release the NX in 2016 in the west and in Fabruary 2017 in Japan.

Source : http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/01...ffer-different-experience-from-wii-u-and-3ds/

Goodtwin

I just hope that the better than expected Wii U overall numbers ( boosted by Japanese sales mainly ), won't mean the NX will come sooner rather than later...

I simply cannot imagine a NX releasing in 2017, waiting until holidays 2017 ? Could you imagine ? How would the Wii U survive until then ? Now that interview from Tatsumi Kimishima was from a Japanese website, so it was maybe more targeted to the Japanese market. I could see Nintendo release the NX in 2016 in the west and in Fabruary 2017 in Japan.

Source : http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/01...ffer-different-experience-from-wii-u-and-3ds/
I can imagine a 2017 NX release. I can see Nintendo believing Star Fox and Zelda being enough to skate through 2016 on Wii U, and software on 3DS is much stronger. I don't agree with doing this, but I can see Nintendo not being ready this year.

Also, Splatoon sells another 60k in Japan, and over 53k Wii U consoles. Nintendo is looking good to hit it's forecast.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
1,153,989 vs. 1,187,570 -- Splatoon is so close to beating MK8 :mnerv:

Wii U sales are now over 3 million in Japan.

I think that unless the Wii U starts to sell on the level of the PS4 it's to late for Nintendo to turn back now. The signs are all pointing towards Nintendo launching something hardware related later this year and I can't see it be anything other the the NX.

I've seen so many different translations about what Tatsumi Kimishima said I don't really know what to take away from it, but I don't think it will effect the supposed 2016 launch.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I wonder if it's possible if Nintendo will make Splatoon 2 a launch title for the NX? Well that, Mario, Metroid, etc.

And based on what Kimishima was talking about, concerning not rushing the console to the market, I still think it's possible for a 2017 release. 2016 is not 100% guaranteed really.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I wonder if it's possible if Nintendo will make Splatoon 2 a launch title for the NX? Well that, Mario, Metroid, etc.

And based on what Kimishima was talking about, concerning not rushing the console to the market, I still think it's possible for a 2017 release. 2016 is not 100% guaranteed really.
I believe strongly that Splatooner 2 will be a launch title. Whatever it is, this game has it.

Ex-Actarus

I believe strongly that Splatooner 2 will be a launch title. Whatever it is, this game has it.
I think it's way too early for a Splatoon 2. It's Nintendo we're talking about here, they take their time with sequels. I won't expect a Splatoon sequel until 2017 at best. So it won't be a launch title.

However I expected a Splaoon Special Edition of somekind as a launch title, it would do wonders for NX launch in Japan.

1,153,989 vs. 1,187,570 -- Splatoon is so close to beating MK8 :mnerv:

Wii U sales are now over 3 million in Japan.

I think that unless the Wii U starts to sell on the level of the PS4 it's to late for Nintendo to turn back now. The signs are all pointing towards Nintendo launching something hardware related later this year and I can't see it be anything other the the NX.

I've seen so many different translations about what Tatsumi Kimishima said I don't really know what to take away from it, but I don't think it will effect the supposed 2016 launch.
I still can't believe Splatoon is selling better than Mario Kart 8... That's IMPOSSIBLE ! But that's the case ! I hope everybody is taking a pause here to understand what is going on... Splatoon is selling better than a Mario Kart game ! Mario Kart games are ALWAYS the top selling games on Nintendo consoles :
- 2nd best selling 3DS game behind Pokemon X/Y
- 2nd best selling games on Wii behind Wii Sport
- 3rd best selling game on DS behind New Super Mario Bros and Nintendogs
- 2nd best selling game on GC behind Melee
- 5th
best selling game on GBA behind 3 Pokemon games and Super Mario Advance
- 2nd best selling game on N64 behind Mario 64
-
4th best selling game on SNES behind Super Mario World, All Star and Donkey Kong Country
So Splatoon made something incredible !

As for Tatsumi Kimishima comments, you make a really good point :).

Last edited:

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
NPD (US) sales for December:

Hardware:
PS4 - ~1.587m
XB1 - ~1.380m
Wii U - ~0.464m
US PS4/X1 LTD gap: ~1.285m

Software:
December:
1. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (XBO, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
2. Star Wars: Battlefront (XBO, PS4, PC)
3. Fallout 4 (PS4, XBO, PC)
4. Madden NFL 16 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)
5. NBA 2K16 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)
6. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3, PC)
7. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege (XBO, PS4, PC)
8. Minecraft (360, XBO, PS4, PS3)
9. Minecraft: Story Mode: A Telltale Game Series (360, XBO, PS4, PS3)
10. FIFA 16 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3) - >625k

2015:
2. Madden NFL 16 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)
4. Star Wars: Battlefront (XBO, PS4, PC)
5. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, XBO 360, PS3, PC)
6. NBA 2K16 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)
7. Minecraft (360, XBO, PS3, PS4)
8. FIFA 16 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)
9. Mortal Kombat X (PS4, XBO)
10. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (XBO, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
---------------------
Wii U sales are disappointingly down in the month of December for the US compared to last year. ~464K vs. ~580K

This hurts the chances of the 3Q shipments being up YOY, but thanks to Japan picking up the slack we shouldn't see much of a dip come February 2nd when the financial results (ending Dec 31st) are posted. I haven't crunched all the numbers yet, but my guess is Wii U shipments will be at around 12.5-12.7 million LTD.

In software Nintendo didn't manage to crack the 2015 top 10 nor the December top 10, but Super Mario Maker and Splatoon are both over 1 million LTD (in the US) and Xenoblade X opened to >200K--which all things considered isn't half bad for a game like Xenoblade (it shouldn't lose money on localization if I were to guess).

Goodtwin

Wasn't November up about 40k over last year? If so, the US numbers are down year over year, but Japan is way up year over year. I think their projections still look pretty likely.

Goodtwin

I think Bayonetta 2 actually exceeded Nintendo's sales expectations. The game is hard to find at retailers, and Nintendo is releasing a new SKU that doesn't include the original Bayonetta for $30 next month. I could see Bayonetta 2 hitting a million units sold now that they are willing to sell it at a value price. I would like to see them so this more, like a players choice promotion.

Ex-Actarus

NPD (US) sales for December:

Hardware:
PS4 - ~1.587m
XB1 - ~1.380m
Wii U - ~0.464m
US PS4/X1 LTD gap: ~1.285m

Software:
December:
2. Star Wars: Battlefront (XBO, PS4, PC)
4. Madden NFL 16 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)
5. NBA 2K16 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)
6. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3, PC)
7. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege (XBO, PS4, PC)
8. Minecraft (360, XBO, PS4, PS3)
9. Minecraft: Story Mode: A Telltale Game Series (360, XBO, PS4, PS3)
10. FIFA 16 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3) - >625k

2015:
2. Madden NFL 16 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)
4. Star Wars: Battlefront (XBO, PS4, PC)
5. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, XBO 360, PS3, PC)
6. NBA 2K16 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)
7. Minecraft (360, XBO, PS3, PS4)
8. FIFA 16 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)
9. Mortal Kombat X (PS4, XBO)
10. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (XBO, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
---------------------
Wii U sales are disappointingly down in the month of December for the US compared to last year. ~464K vs. ~580K

This hurts the chances of the 3Q shipments being up YOY, but thanks to Japan picking up the slack we shouldn't see much of a dip come February 2nd when the financial results (ending Dec 31st) are posted. I haven't crunched all the numbers yet, but my guess is Wii U shipments will be at around 12.5-12.7 million LTD.

In software Nintendo didn't manage to crack the 2015 top 10 nor the December top 10, but Super Mario Maker and Splatoon are both over 1 million LTD (in the US) and Xenoblade X opened to >200K--which all things considered isn't half bad for a game like Xenoblade (it shouldn't lose money on localization if I were to guess).
Great job @TechnoHobbit :)

Before commenting on the Wii U, let me just start with the next gen twins...

Ok the numbers for the PS4 and Xbox One are very good, but they are not impressive. Let's not forget that the Wii sold 3 million units in December in 2009... Let's me say that again : 3 MILLION UNITS. That means that the Wii sold more in December 2009 than the PS4 and the Xbox One in December 2015 COMBINED !!! So let's keep those numbers into prospective...

Which lead to my other point... The videogames industry IS NOT in a good state !!! I'm tired of the misleading numbers we're getting from analysts : "The PS4 and the Xbox One are ahead of the sales of the PS3 and the 360 at similar stage in their lifetime" ( I'm paraphrasing ). Ok, but what about the Wii ? Why the hell leaving the Wii - the best selling console of last gen - out of that analysis ? That doesn't give the REAL picture ! If you take into consideration the Wii, PS3 and 360 and all the software sales, the industry is way below what's it's been 6 or 7 years ago. And I'm not even bringing the handhelds into the mix, because if you start to compare 3DS/Vita sales with DS/PSP sales, it's going to be depressing...

Now back to Nintendo. The numbers are bad for Nintendo. I can't remember a year when there wasn't ANY Nintendo title in the top 10 in December... The Holiday period is the strongest period of the year for Nintendo and this year it was poor. But that was expected really, there wasn't a single big title for the holiday. Actually if Xenoblade Chronicles X managed to sell 200 K in December with very limited push from Nintendo and so much competition, that's quite an achievement to be honest. Less than 500 K in December for the Wii U ? I mean even the Gamecube was selling nearly a million units in December... :(

But my biggest concern is for the 3DS, did Nintendo just forget about that console in 2015 ? I mean there was very little support for it last year. 2016 will be a great year for the 3DS with Dragon Quest games, Fire Emblem Fates, Bravely Second and so many other games. But what the hell were you doing in 2015 Nintendo ? Recently it was announced that Nintendo will advertise new 3DS Pokemon bundle during the Superbowl 2016... Really ? Why does bundles are arriving now ? Don't you think those bundles would have boosted the 3DS sales big time during the holiday period ? What a weird move !

But despite all this, it's great to see Mario Maker already being a million seller and joining Splatoon in that category this year.

Source : http://www.wired.com/2010/01/december-wii-sales/

Last edited:

Odo

Which lead to my other point... The videogames industry IS NOT in a good state !!! I'm tired of the misleading numbers we're getting from analysts : "The PS4 and the Xbox One are ahead of the sales of the PS3 and the 360 at similar stage in their lifetime" ( I'm paraphrasing ). Ok, but what about the Wii ? Why the hell leaving the Wii - the best selling console of last gen - out of that analysis ? That doesn't give the REAL picture ! If you take into consideration the Wii, PS3 and 360 and all the software sales, the industry is way below what's it's been 6 or 7 years ago. And I'm not even bringing the handhelds into the mix, because if you start to compare 3DS/Vita sales with DS/PSP sales, it's going to be depressing...
I think Wii/DS was a bubble.

Console industry isn't in bad shape if you consider only the console gamer audience. Wii and DS got millions of casual users who played Wii for 6 months and sold it later on.

Ex-Actarus

Console industry isn't in bad shape if you consider only the console gamer audience. Wii and DS got millions of casual users who played Wii for 6 months and sold it later on.
It doesn't matter if the a bubble or not. You can't put in place a market analysis of the gaming industry and leave out the Wii, because it would give the impression the market is growing. That's misleading information.

Goodtwin

Just replace the Wii marketshare with mobile gaming marketshare, and everything looks great again. Simply adding up the sales of last gen consoles will give a false impression of its real size. A very high percentage of 360 and PS3 owners also owned a Wii. You also had high failure rates for the early 360 models, and that made for a lots of replacement models being sold later. Looking at sales assuming each console sold equals a unique customer is wrong. I'm not saying sales in the industry aren't down, but it's not down as much as looking at last gen console sales would make you think.

Ex-Actarus

Just replace the Wii marketshare with mobile gaming marketshare, and everything looks great again. Simply adding up the sales of last gen consoles will give a false impression of its real size. A very high percentage of 360 and PS3 owners also owned a Wii. You also had high failure rates for the early 360 models, and that made for a lots of replacement models being sold later. Looking at sales assuming each console sold equals a unique customer is wrong. I'm not saying sales in the industry aren't down, but it's not down as much as looking at last gen console sales would make you think.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
So we should assume that EVERY single Wii owners was a casual gamer ? So those sales doesn't count for the videogames industry ? Come on now ! And what about 360 owners that bought the Xbox for Kinect ? Should we remove them as well ? And of course, let's remove the all people who bought a PS3 for the Playsation move.

That's not how it works. You don't just randomly remove data to make your point ! So each time there is a spike in sales, it's abnormal ? Grand Theft Auto V sold like what 40+ million copies ( and counting ). Ok, let's just remove half of them, it was a bubble, usually GTA games sell around 20 million copies or so. Fallout 4 sold way more than a usual Fallout games, let's just half those sales, it would make more sense... Seriously.

The FACT is that the videogames sales numbers are going down. The handheld industry is shrinking dramatically and softwares sales are in constant decline year after year... There was some kind of article about videogames sales in UK over the years and that was crazy, the number of total games sold was pretty much divided by 2 in the last 7 years of so ( I'm trying to find it again ). This is not just because of the Wii and DS craze, gamers are just buying less games per console. Just do the math ! Look at software sales on Xbox One, PS4 and Wii U and compare it to last gen or even the previous gens. The number of games sold per console is way down... For instance the PS4 sold around 35 million units worldwide, but there were only 200 million softwares sold, that's barely more than the total games sold on Gamecube, there were only 20 million GC units out there... Even the rise of digital sales do not explain such a sharp decline a global software sales...

In Japan the situation is even worse ! After 2 or 3 years on the market the PS4 and Wii U have barely passed the 3 million mark each ( actually the PS3 have yet to reach that milestone ). And handhelds sales are down as everywhere else in the world. So yes the industry is in decline, so NX could be a very good news for the industry and help the industry curb going in the other direction.

Goodtwin

Like I said, add in mobile sales and it offsets the Wii phenomenon. It's widely accepted that the majority of Wii's userbase was casual. Maybe 20 million were core gamers, similar to GameCube sales. And PS Move sales were awful, and Kinect was hardly a big driver of 360 sales. Show me a PS Move or Kinect game that sold like Wii Sports Resort? Those accessories were trying to capitalize on what Wii was doing, and it didn't really take off.

Ex-Actarus

Like I said, add in mobile sales and it offsets the Wii phenomenon. It's widely accepted that the majority of Wii's userbase was casual. Maybe 20 million were core gamers, similar to GameCube sales. And PS Move sales were awful, and Kinect was hardly a big driver of 360 sales. Show me a PS Move or Kinect game that sold like Wii Sports Resort? Those accessories were trying to capitalize on what Wii was doing, and it didn't really take off.

Now you start to make no sense whatsoever...

We're NOT talking about mobile gaming here, we're talking about videogames sales as reported by the NPD. Last time I checked NPD doesn't report mobile gaming sales in his monthly videogames report. Last time I checked, consoles such as the Wii and the DS were reported in the NPD reports. Analyst didn't just start to say : " hum, we won't report those numbers for the Wii because those sales are mainly coming from casual gamers"... That ridiculous !!!

And who said that ONLY 20 million core gamers bought Wiis ? Who are you to just throw such a random number like that ? Do you have data backing that up ? And YES Kinect was one of the main driver for 360 sales ? Where have you been last gen ?

The past year has seen record sales of Xbox 360 consoles, increased by the launch of the new Kinect motion controller in late 2010
I think that's pretty much speaks for itself...

I doesn't matter Wii sales were mainly coming from casual gamers that's COMPLETELY outside the point I was making. The point I was making was very simple. Hardware sales are down in comparison to last gen. PERIOD. That's un indisputable fact like or or not. Now you can explain that by the fact casual gamers moved from the Wii/DS toward mobile games, that's something NOBODY here is denying but that was NEVER the point here. So I don't understand why you keep coming bringing those mobile sales when we're talking about NPD.

Source : http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/xbox-360-and-kinect-boost-microsoft-profits-949620

Goodtwin

Now you start to make no sense whatsoever...

We're NOT talking about mobile gaming here, we're talking about videogames sales as reported by the NPD. Last time I checked NPD doesn't report mobile gaming sales in his monthly videogames report. Last time I checked, consoles such as the Wii and the DS were reported in the NPD reports. Analyst didn't just start to say : " hum, we won't report those numbers for the Wii because those sales are mainly coming from casual gamers"... That ridiculous !!!

And who said that ONLY 20 million core gamers bought Wiis ? Who are you to just throw such a random number like that ? Do you have data backing that up ? And YES Kinect was one of the main driver for 360 sales ? Where have you been last gen ?

I think that's pretty much speaks for itself...

I doesn't matter Wii sales were mainly coming from casual gamers that's COMPLETELY outside the point I was making. The point I was making was very simple. Hardware sales are down in comparison to last gen. PERIOD. That's un indisputable fact like or or not. Now you can explain that by the fact casual gamers moved from the Wii/DS toward mobile games, that's something NOBODY here is denying but that was NEVER the point here. So I don't understand why you keep coming bringing those mobile sales when we're talking about NPD.

Source : http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/xbox-360-and-kinect-boost-microsoft-profits-949620
Because many of those those casual gamers moved on to devices that arebt counted in with NPD data. Last gen attracted a lot of consumers that moved on to those devices. I guess I'm just shocked that your actually surprised by this trend. As for software sales, early ratios are always lower. Those early adopters of the hardware continue buying software for years. The the ratio for PS4 is in line with prior consoles. Your comparing data that this isn't like for like, and ignoring the devices that many of the casuals moved on to.

Last edited:

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018

While they did get plenty of casual gamers, plenty of core gamers also brought those systems. I mean, the Wii's attach rate was pretty good, higher than the N64's, the NES's, and SNES's, and the DS's attach rate is higher than previous handhelds

Ex-Actarus

Because many of those those casual gamers moved on to devices that arebt counted in with NPD data. Last gen attracted a lot of consumers that moved on to those devices. I guess I'm just shocked that your actually surprised by this trend. As for software sales, early ratios are always lower. Those early adopters of the hardware continue buying software for years. The the ratio for PS4 is in line with prior consoles. Your comparing data that this isn't like for like, and ignoring the devices that many of the casuals moved on to.

You are in the explanation of why the total consoles sales are in decline, I'm just in the comparison of the NPD data between different gen. So you're not wrong, but then don't question my point which was console sales are in decline. I'm never said anywhere I was refuting the reason why...

I will remind you that I was the first here at TNE to call for Nintendo develop games on mobile platform. I receive venom from many people just for suggesting it at the time. So you don't need to convince me about that trend.

Ex-Actarus

After the NPD, back to Japanese sales, Nintendo was, by far, the top publisher in Japan in 2015. Here are some data :

Top 5 publishers 2015

1. Nintendo - 8.450.000
2. Bandai Namco - 4.640.000
3. Capcom - 3.620.000
4. Square Enix - 2.950.000
5. Level 5 - 2.770.000

The great thing is that when you analyse the data even further, you realize that many of the game published by the other top japan publishers were on a Nintendo console. Most of the Capcom number come from Monster Hunter. Most of Level 5 number come from Yokai Watch. So Nintendo really dominated 2015 in Japan, this will definitely help the current fiscal year results after disappointing sales in US during the holiday period. By the way, the top 10 selling games were ALL on Nintendo platforms.

Having said that, as it's the case on the NPD numbers we've discussed above, the overall number are in decline. Actually, Japanese sales are reaching an all time low. And if you look at the data reported by Metro, you understand EASILY, why Nintendo - and ALL Japanese publishers - are developing for the mobile gaming market :

- Traditional videogames market size in 2015 : 2.7 billion $
- Mobile gaming market : 5.7 billion $

That was a NO BRAINER for Nintendo really. I'm pretty sure NX will integrate in some ways with the mobile gaming market.

Source 1 : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1170242

Source 2 : http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/14/ninte...15-monster-hunter-x-was-biggest-game-5622404/

Odo

So we should assume that EVERY single Wii owners was a casual gamer ? So those sales doesn't count for the videogames industry ?
The sales count but making an analysis about an entire industry sales isn't just counting sales either. You need to understand all the context involved.

For example, the lowest sales number on handheld is GBA's: 81m

Before GBA, GB/GBC sold 118m, but after GBA, DS sold 150. So from GB to DS the numbers are amazing.

3DS sold 60m and it's not over. It might hit 70m in 2 years in my opinion. If it hits 70m in a world of iPhone/iPad, it'd be the lowest number, but an extraordinary performance in the end for 3DS. The lowest figure in the handheld history? Yes, but it's still great. Plus Nintendo will release mobile games so we'll have to sum that too.

Odo

I doesn't matter Wii sales were mainly coming from casual gamers that's COMPLETELY outside the point I was making.
It does matter because it adds the context that we need to understand the decline you're talking about. Because before Wii, there was no mums & dads playing videogames. In the Wii mums & dads joined and after Wii they moved to mobile.

If you don't want to exclude their figures, then you're saying that GC/N64/SNES/NES were all rubbish because they haven't sold 100m. The audience matters.

GC/N64/SNES/NES - Game console
Wii - An entertainment device with traditional gaming, games for "adults", dancing, fitness, health apps, etc.

Ex-Actarus

The sales count but making an analysis about an entire industry sales isn't just counting sales either. You need to understand all the context involved.

For example, the lowest sales number on handheld is GBA's: 81m

Before GBA, GB/GBC sold 118m, but after GBA, DS sold 150. So from GB to DS the numbers are amazing.

3DS sold 60m and it's not over. It might hit 70m in 2 years in my opinion. If it hits 70m in a world of iPhone/iPad, it'd be the lowest number, but an extraordinary performance in the end for 3DS. The lowest figure in the handheld history? Yes, but it's still great. Plus Nintendo will release mobile games so we'll have to sum that too.
It does matter because it adds the context that we need to understand the decline you're talking about. Because before Wii, there was no mums & dads playing videogames. In the Wii mums & dads joined and after Wii they moved to mobile.

If you don't want to exclude their figures, then you're saying that GC/N64/SNES/NES were all rubbish because they haven't sold 100m. The audience matters.

GC/N64/SNES/NES - Game console
Wii - An entertainment device with traditional gaming, games for "adults", dancing, fitness, health apps, etc.

Ok we're not going to go around and around about this, it becomes redundant.

Again - and for the last time - I'm not questioning the analysis. I've been saying those things for years and I was in the minority !!! So nothing new there. I was ONLY referring to the "incomplete" data from one analyst where he mentioned the sales of the 360 and PS3 without even counting the Wii sales. You cannot compare a gen to another by ONLY selecting the data that suits you to make your argument. The Wii was the best selling home console of last gen REGARDLESS of the fact casual gamers were a major part of the buyers. We're talking about NPD sales and the NPD didn't suddenly stop reporting Wii sales because casual were buying that console... The 3 millions units recorded by the Wii in the US in December 2009, is still the record. NPD did not say "that record doesn't count, casuals were buying that console, so it doesn't count..."

So if you say something in the line " today there are more consoles sold in the US today rather than last gen". That's FALSE !!! NPD data shows CLEARLY that the overall number of consoles is down. That's not even up for debate. That was the "ONLY" thing I was saying. I think it was clear !

NOW, if you want to attribute that decline to mobile platform, of course, I do agree and I've said for it years ; but don't come and say we should ignore Wii and DS sales because they were mainly the results of casual gamers. That just doesn't make any sense ! So do not confuse NPD data and analysis /trend of the videogames market... I was reporting the first one, you keep talking about the second one !

Last edited:

Odo

Ok we're not going to go around and around about this, it becomes redundant.

Again - and for the last time - I'm not questioning the analysis. I've been saying those things for years and I was in the minority !!! So nothing new there. I was ONLY referring to the "incomplete" data from one analyst where he mentioned the sales of the 360 and PS3 without even counting the Wii sales. You cannot compare a gen to another by ONLY selecting the data that suits you to make your argument. The Wii was the best selling home console of last gen REGARDLESS of the fact casual gamers were a major part of the buyers. We're talking about NPD sales and the NPD didn't suddenly stop reporting Wii sales because casual were buying that console... The 3 millions units recorded by the Wii in the US in December 2009, is still the record. NPD did not say "that record doesn't count, casuals were buying that console, so it doesn't count..."

So if you say something in the line " today there are more consoles sold in the US today rather than last gen". That's FALSE !!! NPD data shows CLEARLY that the overall number of consoles is down. That's not even up for debate. That was the "ONLY" thing I was saying. I think it was clear !

NOW, if you want to attribute that decline to mobile platform, of course, I do agree and I've said for years, but don't come and say we should ignore Wii and DS sales because they were mainly the results of casual gamers. That just doesn't make any sense.
Ok, I got.

I think a lot of analysts are bastards who just don't consider Nintendo consoles at all. Big part of the media thinks Wii U doesn't exist at all and only see X1/PS4 as this generation's consoles. So when they bring last generation numbers, Wii is just a strange and dead beast for them.

Goodtwin

Wii has some insane software figures, but the huge sellers are the games casuals tended to pick up. Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, New Super Mario Bros and Mario Kart Wii far and away outsold Zelda, Mario Galaxy and Metroid. The games that appealed strictly to core gamers didn't sell much more than that did on Gamecube. Casuals and multi console owners made up a huge chunk of Wii sales last gen.

Console sales more of less reverted to the previous trend. I'm sure if we were to look at each gen yearly hardware sales, it would be pretty consistent over the past twenty years. Each generation roughly 150 million consoles are sold in that five year span. The Wii was the anomoly.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
Great job @TechnoHobbit :)

Before commenting on the Wii U, let me just start with the next gen twins...

Ok the numbers for the PS4 and Xbox One are very good, but they are not impressive. Let's not forget that the Wii sold 3 million units in December in 2009... Let's me say that again : 3 MILLION UNITS. That means that the Wii sold more in December 2009 than the PS4 and the Xbox One in December 2015 COMBINED !!! So let's keep those numbers into prospective...

Good to see I'm not he only one to find those numbers good, but not impressive (most forums seem personally insulted when someone says something like that).

I don't think the gaming industry as a whole is in any danger or even necessarily in a bad state, but the handheld and even home consoles in the US? I find the numbers going in a worrisome trend, hopefully things will change with the NX. I fear that if things don't change we could be slowly headed to a similar situation as Japan's console market has found itself in (only with the home consoles and handheld consoles places reversed + overall sales being higher as the US market is bigger). Of course, who knows if consoles will even be around by then. We may all be using cloud platform or some other unfortunate thing like that.

I think Bayonetta 2 actually exceeded Nintendo's sales expectations. The game is hard to find at retailers, and Nintendo is releasing a new SKU that doesn't include the original Bayonetta for $30 next month. I could see Bayonetta 2 hitting a million units sold now that they are willing to sell it at a value price. I would like to see them so this more, like a players choice promotion.

The game is the same price it always was

GamingFreak1988

The Platformer Guru
People do also buy solely on brand and don't care about ratings of other games to an extant. i've seen it over the years. seriously look at the sudden interest of bayonetta just cause she got into smash bros. heck look at hyrule warriors. I wonder how many wouldve given that game a glance if it wasn't solely because of zelda. heck i think i remember some article with he writer even admitted to wouldn't of even given the game a glance without character being familiar..though these are minor examples it happens.

It's happened with games by studios as well, if it's from a dev team they know and enjoy previous games there's a much higher chance they'll take notice once they find out. There's still also advertising being a big, people won't buy a game if they don't know it even exists. only the minority even frequents gaming websites on a regular basis. many require advertisements to find out about games. I know i've missed out on plenty of games over the decades solely cause i didn't even know they existed. word of mouth and who's playing is a big deal. if friends are playing insert game here i know i'd be more interested just to be able to play with them.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

1. Ex-ActarusWell-Known Member
    Nintendo reported today operating profits of 278 million $ ( increase of 7% ) and revenue of 1,86 billion $ ( decline of 17% ) for the 3rd quarter of 2016. So far, for the firss, 9 month, Nintendo made 241 million $ in net profits ( a decline of 36% ).

Nintendo sold 1.87 million Wii U during the quarter ( decline of 2% ) ; in the process the total of Wii U sold reached the 12 million mark. For the the first 9 months of the fiscal quarter, there were 3.06 Wii U sold alongside with 22.62 million softwares. 5.88 million 3DS were sold in the same period, along with 38.8 million games.

Here are some sales numbers for notable games for the current fiscal year :

Here is my take,

The numbers are not good. Each time there is a decline in profits and in growth, the markets don't like it. Having said that, that's still a profitable quarter in a very difficult period for Nintendo.

We knew that sales of the Wii U would be low, but there are actually better than I expected. More than 3 million Wii U were sold for the first 9 months ? So this could be the best Wii U year in hardware since year 1 if I'm not wrong. I think the better than expected sales in Japan ( the Splatoon effect ) are the main reason for that.

The main problem for Nintendo comes from the sharp decline in 3DS sales. Last year nearly 9 million 3DS were sold. This fiscal year the number should barely pass the 6.5 million mark. The other issue is the very low attach rate of games on Wii U. There were less than 80 million total games sold on Wii U for a 12 million installed base. So games like Splatoon, Mario Maker, Yoshi's Wooley World and the usual suspects ( Mario Kart, Zelda, Smash) are selling very well. But there are simply not enough games released to improve the attach rate.

So the bottom line is this : the NX can't come soon enough. I don't think there is much more Nintendo can do here on 3DS and Wii U. The company is profitable again despite very low hardware sales. So expect a huge spike in those numbers next year around the same period after NX release and mobile games revenu.

Source : http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/2/10892856/nintendo-earnings-q3-2015

Source 2 : http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35471846

Source 3 : http://www.ft.com/fastft/2016/02/02/revenues-and-profits-slide-at-nintendo/

Source 4 : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1178630
    Last edited: Yesterday at 10:13 PM
    Yesterday at 10:07 PMEditHistoryDeleteIPWarnReport
    + QuoteReply

Goodtwin

A good quarter for Wii U, subjectively speaking of course. Even with far fewer releases, Wii U hardware sales may be up year over year. Splatoon, a brand new IP, sells over 4 million units on an install base of 12 million, and Mario Kart 8 is over 7 million sold. Mario Kart 8 may and up selling better than many of its predecessors, despite being on a much smaller install base. Nintendo has weathered this storm pretty well. When many people thought they should panic, they remained calm, and are back in the black again. Really nice to see Nintendo healthy, and can't wait to see what they are planning for the remainder of the year.

Ex-Actarus

@mattavelle1 , I don't understand why this didn't remain as thread. It's a news that is all over the place from the Financial Times, Wall Street Journal to Gamespot. So imo it has its place in the "Gaming news" thread. We barely have threads in the section, I'm trying to get it going and this it not helping imo.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
@mattavelle1 , I don't understand why this didn't remain as thread. It's a news that is all over the place from the Financial Times, Wall Street Journal to Gamespot. So imo it has its place in the "Gaming news" thread. We barely have threads in the section, I'm trying to get it going and this it not helping imo.
It was all sales data which does belong here like every other time they release financial reports. This is where it belongs and this thread is fine for it.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
It's not all sales though (well, maybe the thread was, but it could be structured to not be), financial reports are accompanied by investors meetings and the such (a day or so later that is). We learned a lot about Miitomo, My Nintendo, and Nintendo Accounts. They still haven't put up the Q&A oddly, but that should have some interesting info as well.
------------------------------------
Wii U sales were around were I expected them to be after seeing the lacking US sales. Japan did well this last quarter, but else where and worldwide it was very disappointing. I guess considering the lack of titles it's not horrible, but it's a huge wasted opportunity. This could have been the biggest year for the Wii U, but now it appears to be set for basically an even YOY (currently the first 9 months of FY14 and FY15 are 3K apart). The Wii U if it follows trends is set to start dropping considerably in sales. Meanwhile the 3DS is so-so considering it's age and the (disappointing) market.

On the software side of things, Splatoon did amazing. Much better than even my optimistic predictions before the game released. MK8 also deserves credit. I agree with Ex-Actarus though, the overall software attach rate was disappointing. I don't care what anyone may argue, Nintendo simply needs at least some third parties. At the very least the Maddens and COD's of the world need a place on the NX to help boost the attachment rate (and therefore profits for Nintendo).

Ex-Actarus

I agree with Ex-Actarus though, the overall software attach rate was disappointing. I don't care what anyone may argue, Nintendo simply needs at least some third parties. At the very least the Maddens and COD's of the world need a place on the NX to help boost the attachment rate (and therefore profits for Nintendo).
80 million softwares sold in 3 years on Wii U. That's pathetic ! If 3rd party devs were onboard, you can be sure those numbers would be much better. Fifa and Call of Duty on Wii managed to sell over a million copies !!! That's lots of money for 3rd party devs even if it's not the 10 million+ they can get on other platforms. As long as EA and Activision can sell more than a million units on a Nintendo platforms, I think those guys will be on board.

3rd party left the Wii U because the sales were atrocious... Call of Duty Ghost and Black Ops 2 sold 700 K "COMBINED" on Wii U. At the same time you have games such a Splatoon, Yoshi and Captain Toad are million seller ! Even Bayonetta 2 will be million seller very soon ( 970 K according to Vchartz ). Two Call of Duty games selling less than a Bayonetta ? Of course Activision won't lose money bringing Call of Duty on a Nintendo platform. And what incentive for Take 2 to bring GTA on Nintendo platforms, when GTA V can sell 60 million copies on so many platforms, except Nintendo's ones ? Can Kimishima make the case that they could sell 5 million more on NX ? Because I don't think Take 2 would bring GTA on a Nintendo platform for less...

If you look at the Wii U, 53 million games sold on Wii U were published by Nintendo... That 67% of the 80 million sold, or 2/3 ! That's bad ! On 3DS, you had 143 million games published by Nintendo on 210 million sold approx, it's 68%. On Wii it was 50% appox and on DS it was 35% !!! That means 2/3 of the softwares sold on DS, the most successful Nintendo console ever, were from 3rd party ! So Nintendo needs to get its act together for NX big time !

Source 1: http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/01/29/these-are-nintendos-lifetime-hardware-and-software-numbers

Source 2 : http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/

Goodtwin

80 million softwares sold in 3 years on Wii U. That's pathetic ! If 3rd party devs were onboard, you can be sure those numbers would be much better. Fifa and Call of Duty on Wii managed to sell over a million copies !!! That's lots of money for 3rd party devs even if it's not the 10 million+ they can get on other platforms. As long as EA and Activision can sell more than a million units on a Nintendo platforms, I think those guys will be on board.

3rd party left the Wii U because the sales were atrocious... Call of Duty Ghost and Black Ops 2 sold 700 K "COMBINED" on Wii U. At the same time you have games such a Splatoon, Yoshi and Captain Toad are million seller ! Even Bayonetta 2 will be million seller very soon ( 970 K according to Vchartz ). Two Call of Duty games selling less than a Bayonetta ? Of course Activision won't lose money bringing Call of Duty on a Nintendo platform. And what incentive for Take 2 to bring GTA on Nintendo platforms, when GTA V can sell 60 million copies on so many platforms, except Nintendo's ones ? Can Kimishima make the case that they could sell 5 million more on NX ? Because I don't think Take 2 would bring GTA on a Nintendo platform for less...

If you look at the Wii U, 53 million games sold on Wii U were published by Nintendo... That 67% of the 80 million sold, or 2/3 ! That's bad ! On 3DS, you had 143 million games published by Nintendo on 210 million sold approx, it's 68%. On Wii it was 50% appox and on DS it was 35% !!! That means 2/3 of the softwares sold on DS, the most successful Nintendo console ever, were from 3rd party ! So Nintendo needs to get its act together for NX big time !

Source 1: http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/01/29/these-are-nintendos-lifetime-hardware-and-software-numbers

Source 2 : http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/
I think the other side of the coin says why can't developers sell software on Nintend platforms lately, even when the install base is large. Wii and 3DS provided plenty of potential customers for third party games. Why can't they find proportional sucess on Nintendo platforms.

I think it stems from the inherent belief that Nintendo platforms are bought for Nintendo games. Consumersmake the purchase with the preconceived motion they are buying it for Nintendo games, and other platforms are very suited for mom Nintendo games.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I think the other side of the coin says why can't developers sell software on Nintend platforms lately, even when the install base is large. Wii and 3DS provided plenty of potential customers for third party games. Why can't they find proportional sucess on Nintendo platforms.

I think it stems from the inherent belief that Nintendo platforms bought for Nintendo games. Consumersmake the purchase with the preconceived motion they are buying it for Nintendo games, and other platforms are very suited for mom Nintendo games.

Well this.........AND

When comparing 3rd party with Nintendo games. 9 times outta 10 it's like comparing ice cream and shit.

I think many Nintendo fans are spoiled to excellent games from Nintendo. Because of this we aren't idiots that just buy any old thing. That's what it seems like.

Goodtwin

Well this.........AND

When comparing 3rd party with Nintendo games. 9 times outta 10 it's like comparing ice cream and shit.

I think many Nintendo fans are spoiled to excellent games from Nintendo. Because of this we aren't idiots that just buy any old thing. That's what it seems like.
Well, that may be a bit harsh. I think there are plenty of great third party games. I think it's as simple as consumers buy Nintendo hardware because their taste strongly align with the content Nintendo offers. You average console software ratio is around ten to one. When was the last time you bough a Nintendo console where there wasn't at least 10 Nintendo developed games that were not top priority for you? The numbers start to make sense when you think about it.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Well, that may be a bit harsh. I think there are plenty of great third party games. I think it's as simple as consumers buy Nintendo hardware because their taste strongly align with the content Nintendo offers. You average console software ratio is around ten to one. When was the last time you bough a Nintendo console where there wasn't at least 10 Nintendo developed games that were not top priority for you? The numbers start to make sense when you think about it.

Definatly a much better way to put it for sure my bad. I've played and loved many 3rd party games on nintendos consoles.

Odo

I don't intend to discuss this, because I know TNE doesn't believe in complete 3rd party support nor partial support, but.... here we go:

(This is my opinion for Nintendo as a whole, not for Wii U. For Wii U Nintendo needs to keep its strategy and it's good that it's selling well in comparison to last year. I'd even agree that Nintendo should relase NX in 2017 in order to make Wii U sell at least 15~16m.)

Well, I agree with you all who say 3rd party doesn't save Nintendo, but I'm not sure that Nintendo can survive without AAA multi-plat games. I mean I believe Nintendo needs at least partial 3rd support.

Nintendo is surviving with Wii U/3DS, Nintendo might survive another decade, but I feel that someday a Nintendo device with only Nintendo games and Japanese 3rdies won't be enough and won't make sense.

I believe that Nintendo fans, the ones that buy a Nintendo console and don't care about other games are dwindling. I know Nintendo still has two big whales out there: Mario and Pokemon. (Pokemon is clearly the Nintendo's CoD, more than that, I'd call it a worldwide sport) and Nintendo has other big deals, however I can't believe Nintendo will keep convincing gamers to get a Nintendo device as their first device in the next decade, if it's only a Nintendo box.

I don't see a Nintendo-only box as a high quality game console for the masses. Don't get me wrong: It is for me, for TNE, for Nintendo Life, for Nintendo nuts like us, for a big part of Japanese gaming community, but not for the masses worldwide.

I mean, for example, HBO is well known for delivering premium TV. They create 10 episode series that cost billions and charges accordingly. People pay more for HBO, because it's haute couture TV.

I can't see Nintendo as an HBO for gaming, so I don't believe Nintendo can sell itself alone.

It is true that CoD titles didn't sell enough on Wii U and I only see this as a big problem, not as a reason for not having CoD in the first place. CoD will soon be sold in fridges, I mean, it sells everywhere, it sells on old iPhones, why Nintendo devices can't sell it? This is not an excuse for getting rid of multi-platform games. This actually is a problem that needs to be sorted out.

If a Nintendo device isn't a platform for CoD, FIFA and Minecraft (the latter we don't know yet), that's because Nintendo devices are being sold only for Nintendo fans, but for how long will Nintendo fans be enough to sustain a corporation with multiple studios and high cost franchises? Shareholders dislike it. Shareholders need more users and more market share.

Of course, Nintendo can survive with little market share. HBO has little market share. Ferrari has little market share. But they have high profits while Nintendo doesn't. Do you have any idea how much profit Ferrari gets from a single car? Shareholders want high profit, if company's profit is not high enough for them, they tell the directors to get rid of assets, studios, employees, shut down projects, etc.

I'm not asking for Doom, Battlefield and Just Cause. I'm saying that I don't see a place for a console that doesn't have the games that everyone plays and talk about. FIFA, CoD, Minecraft are basic AAA multi-platform games. (GTA is one of them too, but ok, I understand that Nintendo doesn't need them all).

A hardware device in the West only for Mario Kart, Splatoon, Zelda and Pokemon won't make sense unless Nintendo places itself as some sort of premium game console maker or a niche game service that can convince enough worldwide users to pay pricey games and a pricey exclusive hardware so they can keep their high quality operation they've got today.

But I don't see this happening. What I see happening is less people talking about Nintendo, less people buying Nintendo devices and less Nintendo hardcore fans keeping Nintendo as their only console or buying Nintendo products on release day. If you want to play Zelda, you can wait for it coming out and get a cheaper deal on Wii U and the game copy after throwing a lot of money at PC and PS4 for years.

How many people is out there that want to get a Nintendo dedicated device in order to play all Nintendo franchises? Do you want to see the strength of Mario Kart, Mario 3D and other Nintendo franchises alone? Well, this is Wii U: ~3m new users p/ year, operation income of 24,770 in a year after 3 years of negative operation income. This is the Nintendo dedicated box. Of course, I'm excluding 3DS and ignoring the fact that a Nintendo device with all 3DS/Wii U games would be an entire different scenario (the NX scenario, maybe), but I still believe that Wii U is a good example of how Nintendo goes by themselves and how it doesn't work.

My conclusion is that I understand that multi-plat games didn't make any difference on the first years of Wii U, but:

- I don't think that not having multi-plat games is a proper solution or is enough for Nintendo either. I think Nintendo is a bad platform for 3rds and it's a problem, not an excuse.
- I can't see Nintendo list of franchises alone as premium gaming for the masses. The taste for Nintendo is something very Japanese and it's not growing. Nintendo has been ignored in everything gaming in this generation. It's like the current generation is just PS4/X1 and Nintendo is just a weird thing.
- I don't think Nintendo can convince the masses to buy a Nintendo box with Nintendo-only + Japanese games. Not with enough profit to make sense.
- I think people who believe Nintendo games are premium and invest on them are dwindling while the masses are seeing Nintendo as niche. In my opinion it's not an opportunity to go by themselves, but a dangerous situation.
- I don't think there's a place in the market for a hardware device that don't have games that everyone plays and talk about to survive in the next 10 to 15 years. Even though we know that Nintendo is not only for kids, I think Nintendo, if it goes this way, will become more and more an exceptional weird stuff for kids and may have to downsize to keep its business.

PS: I hope I'm wrong or the business with mobile makes everything different.

Last edited:

Goodtwin

Did I find myself ifn a 2006 thread all over again?

This was whatpeople were saying in the gamecube days lol
Please provide more substance. We can't read your mind and see clearly what your referring to. I would assume your referencing to doom and gloom talk, but can't be certain.

^ The great sliding vortex of nintendo being niche. It's not happening and its never going to happen because they're a ridiculously innovative and efficient group of designers who manage to pump out 30 games on average every year. Just cause nintendo's not getting all the media attention doesnt mean they''re slowly fading into irrelevancy. Its a strawman that core gamers so far up their own asses about anything related to business came up with and have been prattling on about since the fucking late 90s.

The thing about Nintendo is that they're not the HBO of gaming. They're the PBS of gaming. They've always been about about accessibility and offering a significant amount of diverse content whether that's sesame street or Downton abbey. Nintendo was the first real pioneer when it comes to the console game, the government funded the first TV stations. They pushed low price boxes but sold a lot of quality content that holds it value over a long ass time, especially compared to the competitors. That's what they're model has always been.

PBS makes alot of stuff but they license a crap ton of stuff from BBC and fund a bunch of other things too.

Last edited: