Wii U / 3DS sales thread

Odo

I think nobody here is pro nintendoom.

My post in this page is only an argument against the idea of Nintendo going on with no 3rd party support.

Wii U is a console where a Nintendo fan, his children, family, etc can enjoy not only because it's got Nintendo games, but because it's got other great third party games for family like Lego movie games, Lego Dimensions, Minecraft, Guitar Hero, Disney Infinity, Ubisoft Dance games, Skylanders. That's not bad at all.

If you add to this some CoD, NFS, FIFA, EA Sports games, some more RPGs, some more indies (those that went to PS4/X1/Steam only), some fighting games like Street Fighter, it would be great and that's what I want for NX.

I'm a firm believer in Nintendo and Nintendo will not die, I just don't believe that Nintendo-only box theory works better than going on with some regular 3rd party support.

Goodtwin

I think nobody here is pro nintendoom.

My post in this page is only an argument against the idea of Nintendo going on with no 3rd party support.

Wii U is a console where a Nintendo fan, his children, family, etc can enjoy not only because it's got Nintendo games, but because it's got other great third party games for family like Lego movie games, Lego Dimensions, Minecraft, Guitar Hero, Disney Infinity, Ubisoft Dance games, Skylanders. That's not bad at all.

If you add to this some CoD, NFS, FIFA, EA Sports games, some more RPGs, some more indies (those that went to PS4/X1/Steam only), some fighting games like Street Fighter, it would be great and that's what I want for NX.

I'm a firm believer in Nintendo and Nintendo will not die, I just don't believe that Nintendo-only box theory works better than going on with some regular 3rd party support.
I don't think anyone is really calling for a true Nintendo only box. What many of us believe is that catering to the large third party publishers like EA and Ubisoft, and expecting this to be the driving force behind NX would be a recipe for failure, no real chance of being a breakout success. Having good quality third party support is crucial, but I don't believe it needs the big western publishers.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Nintendo can't count on the same buisness practices that SONY and MS employee to garner third party support....

Like Goodtwin and many others have said here, it's up to Nintendo to sell the NX with first party goodness....

If they can succeed at that, then the third parties will come a knockin.... Whether Nintendo wants them to or not....

Third parties are like sharks, if they smell blood in the water, they will come around to feed....

But the question remains, will Nintendo be able to make NX bloody good enough for the third parties to come around....

Last edited:

Goodtwin

There are people here that believe Nintendo don't need third parties and can go on alone.

That's where I disagree. I believe Nintendo needs 3rd party support, even though Wii U is surviving.
I don't really think so, it's just easy for opinions to be missinterpreted that way. If anyone truly believe a Nintendo platform can survive 100 percent in its own feel free to speak up. I just personally believe their first part software can be the backbone for the platform, and Japanese developers and Indies are sufficient to flesh out the library. I still think western publishers will give it a strong look if sales are going well.

Odo

Nintendo can't count on the same buisness practices that SONY and MS employee to garner third party support....

Like Goodtwin and many others have said here, it's up to Nintendo to sell the NX with first party goodness....

If they can succeed at that, then the third parties will come a knockin.... Whether Nintendo wants them to or not....
If they can succeed, you say.

I think they can't in the first place.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
There are people here that believe Nintendo don't need third parties and can go on alone.

That's where I disagree. I believe Nintendo needs 3rd party support, even though Wii U is surviving.
I believe that it's still gonna be real thin on western Devs. I do not think it should be a Nintendo only box. But that there is still a whole lotta work that needs to be done to repair relations with them.

I do expect a whole lot of Nintendo driving the install base for NX with quite a few Japanese 3rd party on board.

Goodtwin

If they can succeed, you say.

I think they can't in the first place.
So you believe they should go third party? I can't lie, for Nintendo going third party would make sense in terms of low risk high reward, but I don't think they will throw in the towel on hardware unless NX bombs.

Odo

I don't really think so, it's just easy for opinions to be missinterpreted that way. If anyone truly believe a Nintendo platform can survive 100 percent in its own feel free to speak up. I just personally believe their first part software can be the backbone for the platform, and Japanese developers and Indies are sufficient to flesh out the library. I still think western publishers will give it a strong look if sales are going well.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
I'm not gonna quote anyone, because in the end I'll be the one who misinterpreted everybody. Maybe I did.

So, I just want share one thought:

I don't believe Nintendo will be out there on the next decade without moderate to strong western 3rd party support.

I may be wrong, but that's the way I feel and I only would believe otherwise if I see that happening.

I also believe that first party content isn't enough to make Nintendo successful enough to bring 3rd parties.

Odo

I'm with Nintendo Life in this:

A strong third party lineup
This is a necessary component for the NX to succeed; regardless of how strong Nintendo's software may be, the system will need more support in order to attract a wider audience. The NX ecosystem will need to be reasonably manageable for most developers.​

Odo

LSB said:

Like Goodtwin and many others have said here, it's up to Nintendo to sell the NX with first party goodness.... If they can succeed at that, then the third parties will come a knockin.... Whether Nintendo wants them to or not....

And I say:

In my opinion, no, they cannot succeed with first party goodness, in the first place, to bring 3rd party content.

Goodtwin

LSB said:

Like Goodtwin and many others have said here, it's up to Nintendo to sell the NX with first party goodness.... If they can succeed at that, then the third parties will come a knockin.... Whether Nintendo wants them to or not....

And I say:

In my opinion, no, they cannot succeed with first party goodness, in the first place, to bring 3rd party content.
I respect that opinion, but strongly disagree. Wii U was left wide open for third parties at launch, and sales for those publishers bombed. Even Black Ops 2 did very low numbers. Those games didn't drive hardware sales. If Nintendo can maintain consistent releases, and move 10 million units in year one, then western publishers will take a look. For long term success it may be nescessary to have them on board, but early momentum is solely on,Nintendo's back. That doesn't mean they can't cut a few deals for some exclusive games from a third parties, that would certainly help.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
They have no choice but succeed without third parties.... Install base on Nintendo consoles is what has always driven third party support imo....

You can go all the way back to the NES to see just how Nintendo has played its hand this way since the begining....

Super Mario Bros. sold the NES in the begining.... Third parties slowly came on as they realized NES was where the money was at....

You could tell this same story about almost every Nintendo console ever released....

There have been no Nintendo consoles with heavy, strong third party support at launch....

It has never happened....

I'll show you....

Last edited:

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
NES Launch....

SNES launch....

Japanese launch: November 21, 1990

U.S. launch: August 19, 1991

European launch: April 11, 1992

N64 launch....

Japanese launch: June 23, 1996

U.S. launch: September 29, 1996

European launch: March 1, 1997

Gamecube launch....

Japanese launch: September 14, 2001

U.S. launch: November 18, 2001

European launch: May 3, 2002

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Wii launch....

U.S. launch: November 17, 2006

European and Australian launch: March 23, 2007

Wii[edit]
U.S. launch: November 19, 2006

Japanese launch: December 2, 2006

European launch: December 8, 2006

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Wii U launch....

U.S. launch: November 18, 2012

European launch: November 30, 2012

Japanese launch: December 8, 2012

Look at those launch line-ups.... If anybody was buying these consoles to play third party games, then God help them, because I can't....

I mean, Wii U had the strongest third party line up for any Nintendo launch console ever almost, and it didn't seem to help it succeed....

Nintendo sells consoles with first party games.... Especially at launch.... It's really hard to deny this based on its history of doing just that with almost every Nintendo console ever released....

Odo

Wii U was left wide open for third parties at launch, and sales for those publishers bombed. Even Black Ops 2 did very low numbers. Those games didn't drive hardware sales.
I think Wii U bombed before third party did. Even Wii U first party content was quite average before MK8, Smash and Splatoon.

Odo

Look at those launch line-ups.... If anybody was buying these consoles to play third party games, then God help them, because I can't....

I mean, Wii U had the strongest third party line up for any Nintendo launch console ever almost, and it didn't seem to help it succeed....

Nintendo sells consoles with first party games.... Especially at launch.... It's really hard to deny this based on its history of doing just that with almost every Nintendo console ever released....
I've never denied that.

I'm not talking about release titles here.

My first post about this matter was:

Well, I agree with you all who say 3rd party doesn't save Nintendo, but I'm not sure that Nintendo can survive without AAA multi-plat games. I mean I believe Nintendo needs at least partial 3rd support.
I'm talking about 3rd party support and Nintendo as a console maker for the next decade.

- I don't think there's a place in the market for a hardware device that don't have games that everyone plays and talk about to survive in the next 10 to 15 years. Even though we know that Nintendo is not only for kids, I think Nintendo, if it goes this way, will become more and more an exceptional weird stuff for kids and may have to downsize to keep its business.​

I'm talking about long time strategy and how I believe that mult-plat AAAs has to be part of that strategy since I don't believe Nintendo first party content will be enough to drive sales in this new century.

Besides, you know that lots of third party developers keep their first releases for the first 12 months. Look at the first 12 months of GC and Wii and to see how many thirdies are there. You can't develop or port a game in one month. A lot of games that are released 6 to 12 months after a console release started to be developed before the release of the console.

All 3rd parties don't wait one year before start coding. They need to trust the platform.

Also NES and SNES are from a total different planet. I think none of the strategies from that time applies to this century.

And Wii U would bomb with and without 3rd party. Nintendo just did a lot of things wrong. I think Wii U is a weird example in the Nintendo history. It's not that Wii U had third party games and didn't work. Wii U just didn't work at all.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Even Wii U first party content was quite average before MK8, Smash and Splatoon.
And this is what I blame for the death of the Wii U....

You see Odo, I agree with you, Nintendo does need third parties to fill in the gaps when the well of first party content drys up until the next big first party release drops....

Nintendo needs third parties to fill in those empty spots in its line up when things are getting made and not getting released....

But they don't need third parties at launch....

Except for maybe exclusive games for the console that may attract people to buy it....

For example, I bought my Wii U originally to play Zombi U....

So I bought my Wii U to play a third party game, but it was exclusive, and published by Nintendo so....

These are the kind of third party games Nintendo needs at launch....

Exclusives....

Ports are inconsequential at Nintendo console launches.... Unless they are exclusive....

Otherwise, what's the insentive to buy the system...?

But third party ports play a huge roll in filling those spaces in between first party releases throughout a consoles lifetime....

Basically, durring the infamous Nintendo game droughts that we all have come to know and except....

So in short....

Nintendo sells NX with great first party launch line-up....

Third parties take notice of the ever growing install base of the system....

Third parties begin to port their games to the system in an attemt to cash in (hence why Nintendo gets such shit third party ports all the time)....

Those ports fill in the gaps between waiting for Nintendo's first party awesomeness....

Good Nintendo consoles have always followed this cycle....

At least the ones that were successful did....

Why anyone would think that cycle is all of a sudden going to shift gears in an attempt to cater to third parties because Nintendo feels that they desperatly need them more than not is beyond me....

I say the cycle continues....

I will want an NX because of Nintendo....

Goodtwin

I think Wii U bombed before third party did. Even Wii U first party content was quite average before MK8, Smash and Splatoon.
Thats the point, Nintendo left the platform wide open for third parties to have success. Normally Nintendos first party software canibalizes third party software sales, but with Wii U, they had the driver seat, and consumers weren't interested in buying a Nintendo platform to play games they could already enjoy on their Xbox or PlayStation console.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
There is also another factor to consider....

Over the years, Nintendo fans have become complacent with the fact that, if we want to play good third party games, we have to invest in another means of doing so....

i.e. Buying another console or PC to play third party games on....

It has become almost second nature for most Nintendo console owners to adopt other consoles or PC's in order to experience the full breath of digital content availible on the market....

So like it or not, even if you are one of the few who are still so loyal to Nintendo that you only play games on Nintendo consoles, Nintendo consoles have becomes a second console for most, rather than a first....

Sad, but true.... And it's been that way for a long time now....

And Nintendo kind of understands this, as it's been an ongoing issue with their consoles since the N64....

Hell, would it be wonderful or what if we as Nintendo console owners didn't have to turn elsewhere to get that full breath of content...?

Sounds like a dream at this point, but man, what a dream....

Odo

Thats the point, Nintendo left the platform wide open for third parties to have success. Normally Nintendos first party software canibalizes third party software sales, but with Wii U, they had the driver seat, and consumers weren't interested in buying a Nintendo platform to play games they could already enjoy on their Xbox or PlayStation console.
I agree that it didn't help Wii U at all and I agree that Nintendo should do whatever they need to release as much first party content as possible the sooner the better.

However, I think that Mario & Co alone isn't enough to creates the wider audience that a huge corporation like Nintendo needs to keep big profits in this messy and huge game market of nowadays.

So for me, the first year of a Nintendo device needs Nintendo games + enough Japanese games (we already have it on 3DS but not enough for Wii U) + big AAA mult-plat games.

For me the "big AAA mult-plat games" is part of the strategy and not a part that comes from the success of "Nintendo games + Japanese games".

For example, I don't think that a game like Minecraft should come out because Nintendo created a viable platform with their games. I think a game like Minecraft should be on a Nintendo console in the first place, as it is everywhere else. I think the Nintendo fan audience who buys Nintendo just because it's Nintendo will not be enough.

Last edited:

Odo

Ports are inconsequential at Nintendo console launches.... Unless they are exclusive....
We agree on the 3rd party issue, but my point is not exactly about the rubbish ports.

I get that the rubbish ports comes from a successful platform, but it's not exactly what I want.

I want big AAA multiplat games as part of the device strategy. I think they're necessary. (when I say multiplat I mean those monsters that everybody plays like Minecraft and FIFA and not games like Battlefield or Doom).

In my opinion, rushed ports and exclusive ones aren't enough to sustain a company like Nintendo in the long term. Bayonetta is nothing in today's market game. Wonderful 101 is so niche that most people can't even control that thing. Most of them have no serious marketing appeal at all.

Odo

Over the years, Nintendo fans have become complacent with the fact that, if we want to play good third party games, we have to invest in another means of doing so....

i.e. Buying another console or PC to play third party games on....

It has become almost second nature for most Nintendo console owners to adopt other consoles or PC's in order to experience the full breath of digital content availible on the market....

So like it or not, even if you are one of the few who are still so loyal to Nintendo that you only play games on Nintendo consoles, Nintendo consoles have becomes a second console for most, rather than a first....

Yes, this is one of my first points

I believe that Nintendo fans, the ones that buy a Nintendo console and don't care about other games are dwindling. I know Nintendo still has two big whales out there: Mario and Pokemon. (Pokemon is clearly the Nintendo's CoD, more than that, I'd call it a worldwide sport) and Nintendo has other big deals, however I can't believe Nintendo will keep convincing gamers to get a Nintendo device as their first device in the next decade, if it's only a Nintendo box.​

It's a huge problem and I think Nintendo can't go on like this.

We're going to a situation where Nintendo fans are like "well, I'll wait until I find out an awesome deal to get this Nintendo device so I can play the Zelda/Mario etc with the money that I didn't use to buy PS4 games if I have enough time and money to buy that".

Nintendo is more and more going to the end of people wishlists.

I personally am the one who are thinking about NX like "I'll only buy this when I'm sure lots of good games will come out, because I've got too many other games to play and I don't need to play Zelda as soon as it come out, I can wait".

This is very bad.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Nintendo has had the means to fix said problem for years now though, yet they choose not.... CHOOSE not to....

Why...?

I mean, if it is such a huge problem for them, and one they should definitly be concerned with, why not do something about it starting two gens ago...?

Can any of you figure out that thought process...?

See a problem, don't fix it....

More like ignore the problem because they could give a shit....

But why doesn't Nintendo care about the western third party equation...?

What reason could they have for ignoring said problem for years now...?

Last edited:

Odo

Nintendo has had the means to fix said problem for years now though, yet they choose not.... CHOOSE not to....

Why...?

I mean, if it is such a huge problem for them, and one they should definitly be concerned with, why not do something about it starting two gens ago...?

Can any of you figure out that thought process...?

See a problem, don't fix it....

More like ignore the problem because they could give a shit....

But why doesn't Nintendo care about the third party equation...?

What reason could they have for ignoring said problem for years now...?
I think the answer is Wii and DS. They worked without big 3rd party games

However from NES to Wii, all big AAA mult-plat games came out. We have EA sports, NFS, CoD, RE, SF, from NES to Wii. Of course EA games on Wii were all shit, but Wii did very well with its casual strategy.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
I think the answer is Wii and DS. They worked without big 3rd party games

However from NES to Wii, all big AAA mult-plat games came out. We have EA sports, NFS, CoD, RE, SF, from NES to Wii. Of course EA games on Wii were all shit, but Wii did very well with its casual strategy.
What I'm saying is that since the begining, Nintendo could have catered to third parties....

They could have with every console they have ever released, but have chosen not to....

Why...?

Well, if you look at it from an historical point of view, Nintendo has always had a bad relationship with third parties, even with the consoles that had great third party support....

The horror stories about third parties being over charged huge royalties on games are infamously known by almost all Nintendo fans....

For years Nintendo literally gutted third parties of profits on their own games through royalty fees....

In other words, Nintendo has been burning third party bridges for nearly every generation since the NES, over 25 years worth....

Nintendo has never had a good relationship with third parties as a whole....

Even on the consoles that had great third party support....

I don't expect Nintendo has really done much of anything over those years to try and bridge that ever growing gap between them and third parties, especially western ones....

So the question is, what will it take for Nintendo to care enough about the third party equation that they would build their next console in favor of those third parties, much like we saw with the XBONE and PS4 architeture this gen...?

Will Nintendo ever care that much about third parties that it would ever do something like that...?

Have they ever cared about that...?

The last time I saw this was with the CAPCOM 3 and RE4 on Gamecube, and that didn't last long....

Most of the third party games Nintendo has invested in this gen on Wii U have done very poorly, regardless of their quality....

While SMASH continues to sell past 4.5 million....

So even when Nintendo does try to invest in the third party equation, it results in less than desirable sales....

smh @Nintendo....

How can it ever fix this problem...? Does it even care enough to try...?

My take is they never even considered that a strategy....

For them it has always been, Nintendo games sell Nintendo consoles.... At least it would seem that way from what we know about the strategies the do employ to sell those consoles....

They were always glad to have third parties onboard if they wanted to be, but it was always, we are doing things this way, join us if you want, but we could care less if you don't....

Last edited:

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
You could also look at it from this perspective....

What does Nintendo have to gain by investing in the third party equation...?

Time and time again, sales data shows that Nintendo funded third party exclusives are the poorest selling Nintendo games on Wii and Wii U....

You would have to go all the way back to GCN to see these kind of third party exclusive games making any kind of an impact sales wise....

On N64 you had third party games driving sales imo.... On GCN you had it as well.... At least to some degree....

With diverse, quality options like everything from RARE, Turok and Shadows of the Empire on N64, and games like Rogue Squadron II on Gamecube, you had games there that people bought the system to play....

Rogue Squadron being especially important because it was a launch game as well....

We saw this with the Wii U as well, I mean the Wii was all about first party, but with Wii U you could see Nintendo investing in some great third party exclusives that should have driven sales of the Wii U....

Games like Zombi U, Bayo2 and W101 were supposed to be the next big third party games from Nintendo.... XCX as well....

All very solid titles ranging from good to fucking great....

But none of them seems to have griped even the Nintendo fan communities enough to sell well enough for them to be considered successes....

They have all flopped compared to Nintendo's own software on the system, and in general....

Do I see this maybe discouraging Nintendo from investing again in these exclusive third party games on NX...?

No....

I think they will stick with this strategy, and more than likely, have greater success with it on NX than Wii U....

Why...?

Mainly because I think Nintendo will position itself to work with more third parties to create experiences catered more towards the western audience....

I think with NX, Nintendo will not fix this problem, but at least try to address it the way it always has, by investing in third parties to create quality experiences for their consoles....

But unless NX is a surefire hit, the rest of the third party community will continue to treat Nintendo and its consoles like the bastard stepchild of the family....

Shunning it in favor of greener pastures where their games might make an impact sales wise....

So in that sense, whether I want it or not, it is up to Nintendo, whether through itself or through third party exclusives, to position the NX in a place where it is going to be attractive to the third party dev community as a whole....

That means it's up to Nintendo to sell the NX....

Otherwise you are asking these third parties to throw games on the system based on faith....

And if the Wii U is anything to go by, that faith might not be enough to get these third parties onboard....

They may want to see results first, partly because Nintendo is so internal when it comes to how they do things that third parties are left out of the loop like everyone else is, simply waiting for Nintendo to play their hand and make a move....

I'm very hopeful that we should be getting quite a few third party exclusives for NX....

I honestly can't wait to see what NX is and which devs Nintendo has called upon for said exclusives....

These next few months leading up to E3 should be exciting as fuck.... The anticipation....

Goodtwin

I agree that it didn't help Wii U at all and I agree that Nintendo should do whatever they need to release as much first party content as possible the sooner the better.

However, I think that Mario & Co alone isn't enough to creates the wider audience that a huge corporation like Nintendo needs to keep big profits in this messy and huge game market of nowadays.

So for me, the first year of a Nintendo device needs Nintendo games + enough Japanese games (we already have it on 3DS but not enough for Wii U) + big AAA mult-plat games.

For me the "big AAA mult-plat games" is part of the strategy and not a part that comes from the success of "Nintendo games + Japanese games".

For example, I don't think that a game like Minecraft should come out because Nintendo created a viable platform with their games. I think a game like Minecraft should be on a Nintendo console in the first place, as it is everywhere else. I think the Nintendo fan audience who buys Nintendo just because it's Nintendo will not be enough.
When you say the Nintendo audience, you must not solely look at Wii U, but 3DS and Wii U combined. NX is all but certain to combine these currently segregated audience, and with a surge of first party games early on, I am certain Nintendo can transition a high percentage of both Wii U and 3DS gamers to NX. Nintendo can get NX off the ground on their own, but it's longevity will require third party support. Nintendo must bear the burden of establishing NX as a viable option for third parties by establishing a large userbase quickly.

Not saying Nintendo shouldn't be in contact with them, they most certainly should invite them to support the platform from day one. However, they likely won't commit until they are sure it's a serious contender.

Odo

What I'm saying is that since the begining, Nintendo could have catered to third parties....

They could have with every console they have ever released, but have chosen not to....

Why...?

Well, if you look at it from an historical point of view, Nintendo has always had a bad relationship with third parties, even with the consoles that had great third party support....

The horror stories about third parties being over charged huge royalties on games are infamously known by almost all Nintendo fans....

For years Nintendo literally gutted third parties of profits on their own games through royalty fees....

In other words, Nintendo has been burning third party bridges for nearly every generation since the NES, over 25 years worth....

Nintendo has never had a good relationship with third parties as a whole....

Even on the consoles that had great third party support....

I don't expect Nintendo has really done much of anything over those years to try and bridge that ever growing gap between them and third parties, especially western ones....

So the question is, what will it take for Nintendo to care enough about the third party equation that they would build their next console in favor of those third parties, much like we saw with the XBONE and PS4 architeture this gen...?

Will Nintendo ever care that much about third parties that it would ever do something like that...?

Have they ever cared about that...?

The last time I saw this was with the CAPCOM 3 and RE4 on Gamecube, and that didn't last long....

Most of the third party games Nintendo has invested in this gen on Wii U have done very poorly, regardless of their quality....

While SMASH continues to sell past 4.5 million....

So even when Nintendo does try to invest in the third party equation, it results in less than desirable sales....

smh @Nintendo....

How can it ever fix this problem...? Does it even care enough to try...?

My take is they never even considered that a strategy....

For them it has always been, Nintendo games sell Nintendo consoles.... At least it would seem that way from what we know about the strategies the do employ to sell those consoles....

They were always glad to have third parties onboard if they wanted to be, but it was always, we are doing things this way, join us if you want, but we could care less if you don't....
I agree about the historical problems with 3rd parties and for me this is a problem that has to be fixed. It doesn't change my way of thought.

And I don't want Nintendo to make a console for 3rd parties. I'm talking about the big multiplatform games. I'm saying that I don't think Nintendo can grow in the future without titles like FIFA, Minecraft, Lego, etc. I'm saying that Mario & Co alone aren't enough.

You're right that growing a userbase from Mario & Co was the Nintendo strategy. That's right and I'm telling you that I don't believe it will work in the future to sustain this company any more.

Summing up my thought in a FAQ:

Nintendo always did fine with his content and 3rd party went aboard later. Yeah, fine, great, nice job Nintendo. Is it going to work in the future?
Odo thinks it's not.

Nintendo always had problems with 3rd parties and they're ok until now.
Odo knows that. Odo thinks it should be fixed in order to survive in the future.

Ah, but it will never be fixed, bla bla bla Nintendo doesn't need them, bla bla bla
Then Odo thinks Nintendo will downsize. Mario & Co will not be enough to keep enough profits for a worldwide corporation like Nintendo in this nasty gaming market of this century. Unless Nintendo do something entirely different that he doesn't know yet. Anyway, it has to include 3rd party content strategically in my opinion.

So you think Nintendo will need all the third party content that never worked?
No, I'm talking about an strategic approach to include worldwide known multiplatform franchises and titles that run in consoles to fridges like Minecraft, EA sports, Lego, CoD. This content makes a Nintendo device worth for the wider western audience and children while Mario & Co are getting less popular among children and are becoming more and more niche, a thing only for Nintendo fans. In this generation for example Wii U is barely considered a current generation console for the wider eletronic/gaming consuming audience.

But the strategy for exclusive third party is just ok, it never helped a lot
Odo knows. He already said that Bayoneta is nothing. That's why Nintendo needs big multiplatform franchises known to everyone in the West.

But but do you see how much Mario, Smash, Splatoon are selling? It's saving Wii U!!
Yes, it is. But the profit that makes is almost nothing for a global corporation like Nintendo. Even with 3DS selling 60m, it wasn't enough to keep Nintendo in the green in the first years of Wii U, right?. Why? That's because Nintendo makes high quality expensive games in a big conglomerate of international studios, but doesn't have the wider audience that a company like this needs. If it keeps this way, and that's the way Mario & Co + Japanese contend drove, Nintendo stock hold owners will not afford this any more. The assets and cash Nintendo has will run out.

Nah, Mario & Pokemon & Zelda are strong enough to keep them, the 3rd party you want never sold enough and will never sell, plus people will buy other console or PC to buy those games. Nintendo will be fine as a second console.
All right, it makes sense too. In that case, Odo thinks there's no place for a company like Nintendo in this market because being a second console or just handheld is not enough. They then just can't figure it out without doing everything with his own content. Odo thinks then, that Nintendo will radically downsize in the future unless they're cooking something extraordinary for the next 20 years that Odo doesn't know and will make him change his opinion.

Last edited:

Odo

When you say the Nintendo audience, you must not solely look at Wii U, but 3DS and Wii U combined. NX is all but certain to combine these currently segregated audience, and with a surge of first party games early on, I am certain Nintendo can transition a high percentage of both Wii U and 3DS gamers to NX. Nintendo can get NX off the ground on their own, but it's longevity will require third party support. Nintendo must bear the burden of establishing NX as a viable option for third parties by establishing a large userbase quickly.

Not saying Nintendo shouldn't be in contact with them, they most certainly should invite them to support the platform from day one. However, they likely won't commit until they are sure it's a serious contender.

Wii U and 3DS combined means operation income of 24,770 in a year after 3 years of negative operation income. That's bad.

3DS is a cheap handheld console (in comparison to the home console market) in an almost exclusive market. 3DS is practically a monopoly. And even with this, Nintendo was in red.

I know that NX can change this. But I'm not convinced yet if Nintendo will do fine keeping this strategy of Mario will save us alone.

Even in this scenario, I think Nintendo is healthy, because it has enough assets, it has cash, it got over it, Splatoon is rocking, Wii U is selling fine, 3DS is the best console ever in my opinion. But I don't believe what Nintendo did until this generation will be enough for the future. Nintendo is not in touch with the new generation of gamers and children and its own content will not be enough, I think.

Odo

Of course I don't think Nintendo is dying.

All my thoughts comes from the standard home console perspective.

There are many ways Nintendo can be successful.

They can rock on mobile, they can release more games with the Western mind in focus, they can release something for PC (why not?), they can make NX a real hybrid device with common apps like music player, facebook, twitter, some sort of ipod. There are many ways Nintendo can sell their devices, but they've got to be inventive.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
If NX is even slightly comparable in power to XBONE and PS4 I think all these worries will be for nothing....

Most of these big western third party games will find their way to the system by the way of ports....

Maybe enhanced, maybe not, but I expect it will be cost effective for most of these third party devs/pubs to simply rehash a game that came out on PS4/XBONE, clean it up a bit, maybe throw in the DLC, and bam, you have a launch title ready for NX launch day....

We saw this strategy from third parties with the Wii U launch....

I fully expect it to happen for the NX launch.... I'm pretty certain of that.... As long as NX can handle the games....

Ex-Actarus

If NX is even slightly comparable in power to XBONE and PS4 I think all these worries will be for nothing....

Most of these big western third party games will find their way to the system by the way of ports....

Maybe enhanced, maybe not, but I expect it will be cost effective for most of these third party devs/pubs to simply rehash a game that came out on PS4/XBONE, clean it up a bit, maybe throw in the DLC, and bam, you have a launch title ready for NX launch day....

We saw this strategy from third parties with the Wii U launch....

I fully expect it to happen for the NX launch.... I'm pretty certain of that.... As long as NX can handle the games....
It won't work this time around. The 3rd party devs won't bring ports to NX to get abysmal sales as it was the case on Wii U. I mean 300 K unit sold for a Call of Duty game on Wii U ? Seriously... Activision - and the other 3rd party devs - won't support the NX if Nintendo cannot get its act together.

The Nintendo Life rumor about the Nintendo and EA meeting in March is actually pretty telling... EA wants - allegedly - wants some guarantee from Nintendo that will support the games with promotion. We all know that EA is certainly not clean ; unlike Activision, they brought games on Wii U with less features than the 360/PS3 version ( Fifa Wii U anyone ? ). Having said that, EA is right : Nintendo does a poor job at marketing 3rd party games when Sony and Microsoft throw millions supporting 3rd party games with extensive coverage during events and bundles.

I believe Nintendo got the memo and they will support 3rd party devs big time, they don't have the choice really. You simply CANNOT expect NX to be a success without the support of big 3rd party devs, period.

Source : http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...g_to_rekindle_unprecedented_partnership_on_nx

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
It won't work this time around. The 3rd party devs won't bring ports to NX to get abysmal sales as it was the case on Wii U. I mean 300 K unit sold for a Call of Duty game on Wii U ? Seriously... Activision - and the other 3rd party devs - won't support the NX if Nintendo cannot get its act together.

The Nintendo Life rumor about the Nintendo and EA meeting in March is actually pretty telling... EA wants - allegedly - wants some guarantee from Nintendo that will support the games with promotion. We all know that EA is certainly not clean ; unlike Activision, they brought games on Wii U with less features than the 360/PS3 version ( Fifa Wii U anyone ? ). Having said that, EA is right : Nintendo does a poor job at marketing 3rd party games when Sony and Microsoft throw millions supporting 3rd party games with extensive coverage during events and bundles.

I believe Nintendo got the memo and they will support 3rd party devs big time, they don't have the choice really. You simply CANNOT expect NX to be a success without the support of big 3rd party devs, period.

Source : http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...g_to_rekindle_unprecedented_partnership_on_nx
I think this is a narrow sighted post and paints Nintendo has havin to compete at the top for Nintendo. I believe this is far from the truth.

They will have some 3rd party support, even the WiiU had some levels of it so I'm not worried about that. Think about this tho.

MS / PS obviously have the 3rd party's in tow and everything is cool with that. I think Nintendo with NX EMBRACES the "2nd console roll". There gonna have there own unique 3rd party support and while doing that there gonna sneak there way into EVERY home thru the back door.

MS / PS will have one or the other console in every other home. While Nintendo is gonna try to get into every home by marketing and embracing being your "2nd console of choice". While have unique 1st and 3rd party software.

This is the Nintendo I think we're gonna have with NX.

Ex-Actarus

So Nintendo revised its number for the current fiscal year. They actually divided profits projectives by two : they now expects profits of 17 billion yen ( around 208 million $ ) for FY 16.

This revisions is a direct results of declining sales of the 3DS. As I mentioned on several occasions in this thread, the 3DS number are still solid in Japan, but in Europe and US the decline has been brutal. But Nintendo was also impacted by a stronger than expected yen.

So where Nintendo goes from here ?

The strong 3DS line up in 2016 will probably limit the decline of 3DS this year. But imo, there is no question Nintendo is releasing the NX in 2016. The Wii U and 3DS sales won't be able to bring profits to Nintendo next fiscal year if NX is not out.

I'm expecting a very interesting investors meeting in late April when Nintendo will release the results for the whole fiscal year. Kimishima WILL HAVE to give more details about NX. Everybody is tired of waiting for news ( games, press, investors, analysts... ).

Come on Big N, get us excited !

Source : http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...ofit-forecast-cuts-1m-from-expected-3ds-sales

Ex-Actarus

I think this is a narrow sighted post and paints Nintendo has havin to compete at the top for Nintendo. I believe this is far from the truth.

They will have some 3rd party support, even the WiiU had some levels of it so I'm not worried about that. Think about this tho.

MS / PS obviously have the 3rd party's in tow and everything is cool with that. I think Nintendo with NX EMBRACES the "2nd console roll". There gonna have there own unique 3rd party support and while doing that there gonna sneak there way into EVERY home thru the back door.

MS / PS will have one or the other console in every other home. While Nintendo is gonna try to get into every home by marketing and embracing being your "2nd console of choice". While have unique 1st and 3rd party software.

This is the Nintendo I think we're gonna have with NX.
That's one thing to disagree, but that's another one to call out people are "narrow sighted"... We agree to disagree on this subject fine, but do you need to say narrow minded ? Really ?

What's the point of having forum if it's to get people with the same opinions ? I'm not interested in that. If it's what is expected on TNE, I'll just leave then...

When Nintendo does great thing I say it, when they don't I will say it as well...Like it or not ! You can say you disagree, but I won't accept being called narrow minded, it's out of line !

Nintendo has been poor with 3rd party relationship for years, this is a well known fact in the Industry. There is NO CONSPIRACY from 3rd party devs against Nintendo here. IT'S ALL ABOUT BUSINESS ! If 3rd party feel they can make money on a platform, they will support it ; if they don't feel it will be profitable for them, they won't support it... It's not rocket science, it's business ! Last time I checked, 3rd party support on Vita is pretty much inexistant ( except in Japan ). In the early years, the PS3 was losing some 3rd party support as well, but when Sony made changes, they came back. 3rd devs supports platforms where they can make money, period.

Again, looking at the Nintendo life rumor, it makes complete sense. EA wants to work with Nintendo, they're just asking in return some guarantees their games will be supported from a Marketing standpoint. That makes ALL the business sense in the world. They'll find a common ground imo. So expect a E3 with a Madden NX demo and sport bundles ( Fifa NX bundle in Europe and Madden NX bundle in US ).

Last edited:

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
That's one thing to disagree, but that's another one to call out people are "narrow sighted"... We agree to disagree on this subject fine, but do you need to say narrow minded ? Really ?

What's the point of having forum if it's to get people with the same opinions ? I'm not interested in that. If it's what is expected on TNE, I'll just leave then...

When Nintendo does great thing I say it, when they don't I will say it as well...Like it or not ! You can say you disagree, but I won't accept being called narrow minded, it's out of line !

Nintendo has been poor with 3rd party relationship for years, this is a well known fact in the Industry. There is NO CONSPIRACY from 3rd party devs against Nintendo here. IT'S ALL ABOUT BUSINESS ! If 3rd party feel they can make money on a platform, they will support it ; if they don't feel it will be profitable for them, they won't support it... It's not rocket science, it's business ! Last time I checked, 3rd party support on Vita is pretty much inexistant ( except in Japan ). In the early years, the PS3 was losing some 3rd party support as well, but when Sony made changes, they came back. 3rd devs supports platforms where they can make money, period.

Again, looking at the Nintendo life rumor, it makes complete sense. EA wants to work with Nintendo, they're just asking in return some guarantees their games will be supported from a Marketing standpoint. That makes ALL the business sense in the world. They'll find a common ground imo. So expect a E3 with a Madden NX demo and sport bundles ( Fifa NX bundle in Europe and Madden NX bundle in US ).
Goodness gracious Ex chill out. Yes I think it was a narrow sighted post, that's ok it's not a personal attack. I wrote why I thought it was narrow sighted.

Dude you know you welcome to post whatever. But when someone disagrees and writes why just chill out.

Goodtwin

Why can't EA support their own games with marketing support? Why does Nintendo need to support Madden with big marketing dollars? Will they sell enough additional units to make it profitable for both EA and Nintendo?

If Nintendo is trying to make NX a console that can be the primary console, then yes, having the large third party publishers on board is important. Is this the ticket to maximizing profits? I don't know, marketing for others publishers games could get really expensive.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....

Do what you gotta do, but Matt wasn't being out of line with you this time.... At least not imo....

You seem overly aggressive in terms of calling people out about attacking you, even when they are not....

I've defended you many times in the past.... But in this case I think you just have your panties in a bunch....

Calm the fuck down Ex, or don't....

But he ain't attacking your character, he's critisizing your post....

And as far you leaving, well, don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya....

Last edited:

Goodtwin

I think we could go back through plenty of post where people have expressed their opposing opinion far more agrgressively and potentially offputing than Matt did. If I comment that Nintendo never makes mistakes, and you say that's stupid, does that mean I'm stupid, or my comment was stupid? We have all had some opinions that rub other people the wrong way. I remember Matt and I dissagreeing over DKC TF pretty aggressively, but we can have discussion without having to walk on egg shells. If your easily offended, internet forums are no place for you.

Ex-Actarus

I think we could go back through plenty of post where people have expressed their opposing opinion far more agrgressively and potentially offputing than Matt did. If I comment that Nintendo never makes mistakes, and you say that's stupid, does that mean I'm stupid, or my comment was stupid? We have all had some opinions that rub other people the wrong way. I remember Matt and I dissagreeing over DKC TF pretty aggressively, but we can have discussion without having to walk on egg shells. If your easily offended, internet forums are no place for you.

LOL

Ex-Actarus

Do what you gotta do, but Matt wasn't being out of line with you this time.... At least not imo....

You seem overly aggressive in terms of calling people out about attacking you, even when they are not....

I've defended you many times in the past.... But in this case I think you just have your panties in a bunch....

Calm the fuck down Ex, or don't....

But he ain't attacking your character, he's critisizing your post....

And as far you leaving, well, don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya....

Overly aggressive ? LOL

Ex-Actarus

Goodness gracious Ex chill out. Yes I think it was a narrow sighted post, that's ok it's not a personal attack. I wrote why I thought it was narrow sighted.

Dude you know you welcome to post whatever. But when someone disagrees and writes why just chill out.
Ok, now it's my last post, I think it's a great to leave in this thread I created when the Wii U was just released. What a ride...

I joined the site here because @Menashe recruited me while I was contributing on Gametrailers ( such a great wesbite, it will be missed... ). He really liked my contribution there and asked me to join TNE. I loved the site then, I came pretty much daily. I had a blast and I don't regret my contribution here. But now I will move on...

I don't like the direction the TNE forum has taken. It has become a blind fanboy website. As soon as somebody say anything negative toward Nintendo, straight away they are attacked by several others guys ( as it was the case again here with @Goodtwin and @TheAmazingLSB ). The worst part is that no moderator try to diffuse the tension... They make things worse ! That's NOT the way it was working before. And I don't think this is helping the TNE community imo. It's always the same group of people posting. Most of the sections received very few posts. The new guys that come on board, don't stay here long. There is a reason for that... Just my 2 cents here.

I tried to contribute the best way I can on the site. I'm not saying I was perfect, of course as everybody at some point, I overreacted, I was wrong or I derailed. But in the end I always tried to participate the best way I could. I've done dozens and dozens of threads to make live this forum. Sometimes I spend hours just to create one thread ! Why ? Because I loved this community !

I have nothing personal against you @mattavelle1 , I love and respect your passion for Nintendo, but sometimes it makes you a little blind... Just my opinion. I salute you and the other folks from TNE. Enjoy the NX and the other great Nintendo things that will come in 2016 and beyond.

All the best and long live Nintendo !

Ex-Actarus, out for good...

NB : by the way, I paid my due to @sjmartin79 as it was agreed, I'm a man of my word...

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Ok, now it's my last post, I think it's a great to leave in this thread I created when the Wii U was just released. What a ride...

I joined the site here because @Menashe recruited me while I was contributing on Gametrailers ( such a great wesbite, it will be missed... ). He really liked my contribution there and asked me to join TNE. I loved the site then, I came pretty much daily. I had a blast and I don't regret my contribution here. But now I will move on...

I don't like the direction the TNE forum has taken. It has become a blind fanboy website. As soon as somebody say anything negative toward Nintendo, straight away they are attacked by several others guys ( as it was the case again here with @Goodtwin and @TheAmazingLSB ). The worst part is that no moderator try to diffuse the tension... They make things worse ! That's NOT the way it was working before. And I don't think this is helping the TNE community imo. It's always the same group of people posting. Most of the sections received very few posts. The new guys that come on board, don't stay here long. There is a reason for that... Just my 2 cents here.

I tried to contribute the best way I can on the site. I'm not saying I was perfect, of course as everybody at some point, I overreacted, I was wrong or I derailed. But in the end I always tried to participate the best way I could. I've done dozens and dozens of threads to make live this forum. Sometimes I spend hours just to create one thread ! Why ? Because I loved this community !

I have nothing personal against you @mattavelle1 , I love and respect your passion for Nintendo, but sometimes it makes you a little blind... Just my opinion. I salute you and the other folks from TNE. Enjoy the NX and the other great Nintendo things that will come in 2016 and beyond.

NB : by the way, I paid my due to @sjmartin79 as it was agreed, I'm a man of my word...
Sadly Ex it's gonna suck seeing you go. But reading thru this post really just proves that you never read anyone's post.

I did try and diffuse a situation that I never intended to light in the first place. I just disagreed and told you exactly why. It wasn't about fanboy at all, I don't know that I've ever been accused of that honestly.

It's just sad because I replied to you as I would anyone, I just wish you had read the post. I'm sorry you feel this way and hopefully you come back someday.

You were always at the least entertaining Ex and I appreciate you for that. But until we meet again keep it real, and you will always be welcome back here.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....

Overeact much.... I think you're being silly, but whatever floats your boat....

Seriously, me, a fanboy...?

smh....

Last edited:

Goodtwin

If that's what you want to do, then that's cool. I hope you reconsider once things are reignited with real NX info. I feel like we have all grown tiresome of reiterating opinions on what we think Nintendo should do, it's become repetitive to say the least, and welcome the day when we can discuss what Nintendo "is" doing instead. I do not believe anyone wants to push anyone away here, the forums have picked up with just a few new members. On one hand everyone is entitled to their opinion, but try telling the guys over at the Ford forums they should be more like Chevrolet and see how it goes. Whenever dealing with "fans" of a product, there is a different outlook. Its not blind, it's optimistic and favorable.

In the end, if you need a break, I get it, you are the yin to my yang, but I do think things here will become much more lively within a few short months. Whatever you decide, I enjoyed you here, even though we often passionately dissagreed at times.

Odo

Ex, I wouldn't post, but after the fanboyism acusation.... do you really think that?

you're the one who said that I was writing bullshit (quoting you: There is no point discussing if it's to read bullshit like this.) and now you'll leave because of narrow sight post?

We all here have been using worse words to disagree without being rude (or sometimes being quite rude too, sometimes that happens).

If you really think that it's a community of blind fanboys... that really proves that you can't read what we write and you can complain that I'm saying it again because I did on that NX release post. My opinion.. you overreact a lot while Matt never do it.

It's the last place I'd think of fanboyism and that's the second time I see someone here saying that we're stupid fanboys. There are a broad range of opinions here, people who agrees/disagrees about 3rd party, people who are a bit pissed off about Wii U, people who are not really hyped about NX (like me), people posting about Nintendo games flaws, etc. In my opinion, here I can talk to the most intelligent and mature Nintendo fans I can find. This is a super cool place, no trolling, no rubbish threads..

Goodtwin

@Goodtwin
@Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

100 bucks is 100% on the line.

Good is the under
Laer is the over

ITS ON NOW MONEY IS NOW WHERE MOUTH IS!!! LETS GET IT ON!!!

(this could be the coolest best on a forum of all times, there is just something awesome about it all) (good luck to you both)

So..... @Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Seeing as how Wii U cannot outsell the Gamecube seeing as how production has ended for Wii U, you owe me $100.