Wii U / 3DS sales thread

As seen here, the marketing travesty continues, this time courtesy of marketing "partner" Target: http://i.imgur.com/K3YLo9Q.jpg
Also note the lack of a Basic bundle.

In my view, and I just said this in the community thread, but if the Wii U's sales are still crappy in a years time then it's time to really worry. Sales should pick up in the coming months/Xmas and then into 2014 starting with MK8.

Pretty much if Nintendo's Flagship titles can't sell the Wii U, nothing will.
That being said, I have confidence in the upcoming games simply because I know a lot of people who are just as excited for these games as I am.

Koenig

The Architect
Aside from putting out their first party titles, the best thing Nintendo could do for the Wii U is advertise.I have yet to see a single add for the system without looking it up.

Ex-Actarus

Pretty much if Nintendo's Flagship titles can't sell the Wii U, nothing will.
That being said, I have confidence in the upcoming games simply because I know a lot of people who are just as excited for these games as I am.

If you're referring to Tropical Freeze, Wind Waker HD and Mario 3D World, then it's already at lost cause...
These titles won't be Killer Aps.
Yes they will shift consoles, but no as many a real killer ap as Mario Kart and Smash.

Wink Waker HD is a remake ( and not from the most popular Zelda ), remake never sell better than the original game
Beside the high price tag could be an issue ( even if it's not for me ).
I expect the Wii U sales to triple with that game, but they are so low... it won't change much.

Tropical Freeze and Mario 3D World have ZERO hype around them.
They didn't impress anybody at E3..
Yes they will sell consoles.
Yes they will be polished and 9/10 games.
But THERE ARE NOT games that will convince gamerz to not buy PS4 or Xbone.
Just no !!!
With the deluge of high profile Next Gen games, they won't able to handle the competition.

As I said the ONLY way for Nitnendo to REALLY things around with the Wii U is to drop a bomb.
To reveal - around Gamescon or TGS - new games. "Killer ap" games.
Iwata was referring few weeks ago about secret games that had great features for the Wii U and that will have a Wii Sport effect.
If Nintendo those "secret" games are out before the end of the year, then yes the Wii U can save 2013.
Otherwise, 2013 will remain in history as the WORST year in home console history for Nintendo...

Goodtwin

^

I agree with Ex-Actarus in the sense that I dont see the majority of releases this year being long term system sellers, but the fact that there are so many releases makes me optimistic that sales will become respectable for the remainder of the year. Sales would eventually fall into a slump again, but luckily 2014 is looking even more impressive. If the releases this year can keep the Wii U afloat, then Smash Bros and Mario Kart can secure the Wii U as a long term console. I do think that Pikmin 3 was the least likely title to really impact hardware sales, and luckily it did give a decent bump in Japan, and hopefully something similar in Europe.

GamingFreak1988

The Platformer Guru
As seen here, the marketing travesty continues, this time courtesy of marketing "partner" Target: http://i.imgur.com/K3YLo9Q.jpg
Also note the lack of a Basic bundle.

:| They seriously used the wii consoles instead of wiiu for that ad... what the heck was target thinking... That surely helps different the systems..

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Nintendo hoping to bring the original Wii's momentum to the Wii U by calling it the Wii again definitely backfired on them.... Instead of bringing in that Wii success, it made people confused about wtf the Wii U actually is.... Basically the marketing was fail from the start by calling it the Wii in the first place....
But the idea comes from the idea of NES and SNES, which imo was the shit.... It should have worked, but it sure as hell didn't....
Moral of this story.... Just add SUPER into the title of your console to avoid people not wanting to buy it....
And Super LSB is not for sale.... ^#(^

Goodtwin

They should have just called it the Nintendo U. Keeping with the super simplistic name, but would have avoided any confusion. I think the confusion is going away, most consumers who are interested in the Wii U know by now that it is in fact a new console, but the confusion was definitely partly responsible for the rough start.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Do y'all know the concept of the name WiiU? Its the Wii with U, yo dawg I heard you liked the Wii so I put a Wii in you and made it in a WiiU.

Less informed consumers are always confused, the name isnt the main issue.

Truth is people are lazy to say WiiU.

Should've just called it "Nintendo"

"I'm playing Nintendo"
"Just picked up CoD for Nintendo"
"Pikmin 3 is awesome on Nintendo"

Well, yeah, so it doesn't work ALL the time but Wiiu, same thing happened when the 3DS was released people didn't know the difference. Guess most gamers prefer a number after the system so their brains can figure it out a little easier...

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
3DS made more sense because... it was 3D. What the hell is a ewe?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/Ewe_sheep_black_and_white.jpg

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
Pikmin 3 sold 114,828 units in the US on launch week making it the best launch for any Wii U title in the US since the launch of the Wii U and bringing the total amount of Pikmin 3 games sold to 318,137 worldwide (154,704 Japan, 41,800 Europe, 114,828 US). The launch of Pikmin 3 also increased Wii U sales in the US by 79% to 16,349--the highest they've been since the week ending March 30th.

Disclaimer: All data expect the Japaneses data comes from VGChartz and is likely to be 25%-35% off hardware sales and 10%-25% off Software sales.

Ex-Actarus

We all knew that Pikmin 3 was no killer ap.
But it's great to see some positive numbers for the Wii U.
It's been a while...
Let's hope that the momentum will continue, but I believe we will have to wait until Wind Waker HD and Sonic Lost Word in October to see a REAL improvement.
I have no hope for dramatic Wii U sales improvement with Wonderful 101 when GTA V is released 3 days later...

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
Same thoughts. Though I for one am extremely impressed by how well Pikmin 3 is doing for being such a niche game on a console with a small install base. If it keeps this up I wouldn't be surprised if it became the best selling Pikmin game by the end of this gen.

Ex-Actarus

We still have a long way to go until Hurricane Category 5 Mario Kart 8 :)
We have Category 1 Wind Waker HD in October and Hurricane category 2 Mario 3D World and Tropical "Storm" Freeze :)

Ex-Actarus

Is it more important for the Wii U to sell games or consoles?

Consoles.

Because that's the main indicator publishers are looking at.

That's the reason so many games are not coming on Wii U.

Publishers simply can't commit on a platform barely selling 30 K weekly worldwide...

Goodtwin

I have been pretty optimistic about Wii U sales turning around because of all upcoming releases, but I think I have come to the conclusion that the Wii U is going to strive for Gamecube like success best case scenario. When we look the upcoming lineup of software from Nintendo, it is impressive, but at the same time the Gamecube had an equally impressive lineup and it simply wasnt enough to make it a big success. I am starting to think that its simply not logical to believe that games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros can influence sales of Wii U any more than they did for the Gamecube. Combine that with the fact that Gamecube actually had solid third party support the whole generation, it starts to feel like even matching Gamecubes level of success is a stretch. If Nintendo had been able to maintain the casuals from the Wii, then yea, surpassing Gamecube sales would be a for sure thing, but it seems that those people have long since moved on to other things, and show no signs of coming back.

This doesnt really change anything for me personally. Nintendo could only sell 15 million Wii U's this entire generation, and they would still support it with their own first party titles, and Indies seem to be doing fine even now with only 3.5 million Wii U's sold. So for us Nintendo enthusiast we will still get our favorite Nintendo games to play, but anyone that still thinks Nintendo could be the market leader this generation is pretty much kidding themselves.

I have been pretty optimistic about Wii U sales turning around because of all upcoming releases, but I think I have come to the conclusion that the Wii U is going to strive for Gamecube like success best case scenario. When we look the upcoming lineup of software from Nintendo, it is impressive, but at the same time the Gamecube had an equally impressive lineup and it simply wasnt enough to make it a big success. I am starting to think that its simply not logical to believe that games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros can influence sales of Wii U any more than they did for the Gamecube. Combine that with the fact that Gamecube actually had solid third party support the whole generation, it starts to feel like even matching Gamecubes level of success is a stretch. If Nintendo had been able to maintain the casuals from the Wii, then yea, surpassing Gamecube sales would be a for sure thing, but it seems that those people have long since moved on to other things, and show no signs of coming back.

This doesnt really change anything for me personally. Nintendo could only sell 15 million Wii U's this entire generation, and they would still support it with their own first party titles, and Indies seem to be doing fine even now with only 3.5 million Wii U's sold. So for us Nintendo enthusiast we will still get our favorite Nintendo games to play, but anyone that still thinks Nintendo could be the market leader this generation is pretty much kidding themselves.
You know the problem with the GameCube though?

PS2 came out first, it got its momentum faster, became the market leader, Gamecube came out had strong momentum but it had problems convincing the market, couldnt shake that kiddy image, and lost whatever momentum it had because of software droughts.

If you look at how Nintendo franchises sell, you see games like Donkey Kong Returns that actually drove hardware units for the Wii/3DS, and the Wii was a phenom, that helped a little but it was those title that drive it forward ( given this was the Return of DK) but ect

I doubt the GameCube the WiiU doesnt have the same problems but it does have issues convincing the mass so far, but once you get your hands on it and spends some real time with it people seem to like it. Hell the first time I played with the WiiU I was a little concerned about how I'd play it (I didnt like the safety attachment and the way it felt but when I had it in my hands It was glorious) it came out first so it has leeway to fight.

Goodtwin

^

Gamecube had games that sold as well as Donkey Kong Country Returns. DKCR didnt move Wii's, Wii Sports moved Wii's, and the Galaxy games and Zelda TP convinced the hardcore Nintendo fans to jump on board as well. Yes Gamecube had some software droughts, but do we honestly believe that with no EA support and Activision and Ubisoft already hesitant about future support that we wont have software droughts? Hell, we just had one for 8 months. If simply coming out first was a huge advantage then Dreamcast should have done much better. I'm a Nintendo fan, so I would love to be wrong about this with the Wii U turning around and becoming very successful, but I cant honestly tell you that I believe that will happen. When you look at it objectively, its not logical to conclude that a game will have a much bigger impact than it did in prior generations. Even if you go back to the N64, did Mario Kart, Mario 64, Zelda, and Smash Bros convince the masses to buy one? Nope, the playstation outsold the N64 3 to 1.

Dreamcast died a little too early. Again money.

You cant just ignore all of the circumstances, they're somewhat different situations with different approaches, the result will be different otherwise.

Nintendo's games do drive units, they always do, PS1 did what it did out of diversity, and market placement, that is what Nintendo needs to establish and build off with their system, that is how units move.

Goodtwin

Dreamcast died a little too early. Again money.

You cant just ignore all of the circumstances, they're somewhat different situations with different approaches, the result will be different otherwise.

Nintendo's games do drive units, they always do, PS1 did what it did out of diversity, and market placement, that is what Nintendo needs to establish and build off with their system, that is how units move.

Ok, what do you expect the Wii U sales to reach and what is going to get them there? Specifically, what is going to cause the Wii U to do better than the Gamecube, and how much better?

Ex-Actarus

I have to agree with Goodtwin.

The situation of the Wii U did not really improve despite the release of high profile titles as Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends and Wonderful 101.

Actually in Japan Wii U is reaching its lowest level. The problem is the lack of games and 3rd party support. There is nearly NO SUPPORT from japanese devs. Where is Capcom ? Where is Namco ? Where is Square Enix ?

You can't sell in Japan without the support of japanese devs. The DS, PS2, PS, PSP had an incredible support from devs out there. The 3DS has a strong support as well and the console is selling extremely well over there. But the Wii U has just nothing... High profile titles as Dark Souls, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Street Fighters, Pro Evolution Soccer, Gundam, One Piece, Metal Gear, etc, are not Wii U bound. Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong can't drive unit sales by themselves. We've been there before with the Gamecube.

In US and Europe, it will depend how well the pricecut will perform. I expect to see a great improvement in sales with Wind Waker HD. But will Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Mario 3D World will be as popular as DKCR and Galaxy ? I doubt it. We have to wait and see.

The REAL test will be Mario Kart 8. I expect the title in March 2014. With Smash 4 coming in April. Those 2 titles will be KEY. Then we will say if the Wii U is another Gamecube... Or not.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
A week old, but the latest Wii U Sales Update if anyone is interested: http://technologyhobbit.blogspot.com/2013/09/wii-u-sales-start-slowly-picking-up-wii.html-------I don't really thinks it's fair to judge the Japanese Wii U sales right now, both the Vita and Wii U have seen a massive slow down in sales.
For example, the Wii U sales past 4 weeks:12,0477,030 6,7415,702PS Vita sales past 4 weeks:19,36311,5078,4057,314

GaemzDood

I honestly don't care about sales. However, I do want the core multiplatform games to be the best selling games on the Wii U. I care about game sales, not console sales.
You don't make any sense...
Either you care about sales, either you don't.
Anyway, if they are not any Wii U in stores as it's going to be the case in ASDA in UK, that won't help games sales...
Source : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/nintendo/10209656/Asda-drops-Nintendo-Wii-U-from-its-stores.html
I care about game sales, not console sales.

Goodtwin

Well, apparently the boost in sales for Wii U was pretty modest. They doubled, but the number is still pretty small. I guess we will see if the sales bump is sustained from here on out. Nintendo needs this holiday season like nobodies business.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
Following the price drop and release of Wind Waker HD Bundle in the US, Wii U sales have risen from 8,612 the week ending September 14th to 19,617 the week ending September 21st. This is the highest Wii U sales have been in the US since the week ending March 30th when the Wii U sold 20,116 units, and the third highest amount sold in a week for the US in all of 2013. This nearly reaches the 23,799 PS3's sold in the US on the same week of life (Sep. 15th 2007).

Meanwhile the worldwide sales were brought up from from 20,946 (Sep. 14th) to 33,964 (Sep. 21st). Remember though NA is the only region to receive a price drop/bundle at this time--bundles will be dropping in EU on Oct. 4th and Oct. 31st in JP. So just stay tuned another few weeks to fully see what the price drop/bundles do.
-----------------
In other news, The Wonderful 101 sold 15,134 units in its US launch week bringing the total worldwide sales up to around 44-45K.

Disclaimer -- All sales numbers taken from VGC and are likely to be off by 5-20%, but unless you have a better source at this time don't complain.