Wii U / 3DS sales thread

Hey, whats going on with Watch Dogs and Donkey Kong at retailers?
What do you mean?
Its sounding like they have been delayed
My list shows Watch Dogs is still coming this year. No evidence of any major delay, if any. Sometimes people make things up to undermine the Nintendo version. I can't say the same for DKC. Although Nintendo gave us confirmed official Dec 6 date and that's what I have on my list, it's possible that a new retail date is now set to be revealed by Nintendo soon in the upcoming event. It's possible Nintendo will do the WWHD thing again. :-$ Anything is possible.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
This nearly reaches the 23,799 PS3's sold in the US on the same week of life (Sep. 15th 2007).
At this point, I think Nintendo would be over the moon if they got PS3-level sales, overall (without taking PS3-level losses).
In other news, The Wonderful 101 sold 15,134 units in its US launch week bringing the total worldwide sales up to around 44-45K.
Woof.

Man, there needs to be a zero after that number, just for W101 to get to the point of having disappointing sales. No marketing and the Platinum/Clover curse strikes again. :(

Goodtwin

I was definitely expecting a better boost to the hardware sales, and I think this is just proof that Nintendo has an uphill battle ahead of them. They are going to have to be aggressive with bundles and pricing, and for the love of God please advertise. They advertise fairly well for the 3DS, but totally neglect the Wii U. Internet ads and Nintendo Directs arent enough, you have to get the TV ads going. I have seen more PS4 ads than Wii U, and the PS4 doesn't come out for two months.

As for Wonderful 101, I cant say I am all that surprised. The game totally bombed in Japan, and that was supposed to be their target audience. I am not totally convinced that the W101 didnt do a respectable number of digital downloads in Japan since they did the big discount if you bought Pikmin 3, but at the most it would only double the total sales, and thats still pretty poor. They are lucky that Nintendo was the one funding this game, even though there is no way its going to be a profitable game, its on Nintendo shoulders and not Platinums.

Ex-Actarus

Following the price drop and release of Wind Waker HD Bundle in the US, Wii U sales have risen from 8,612 the week ending September 14th to 19,617 the week ending September 21st. This is the highest Wii U sales have been in the US since the week ending March 30th when the Wii U sold 20,116 units, and the third highest amount sold in a week for the US in all of 2013. This nearly reaches the 23,799 PS3's sold in the US on the same week of life (Sep. 15th 2007).

Meanwhile the worldwide sales were brought up from from 20,946 (Sep. 14th) to 33,964 (Sep. 21st). Remember though NA is the only region to receive a price drop/bundle at this time--bundles will be dropping in EU on Oct. 4th and Oct. 31st in JP. So just stay tuned another few weeks to fully see what the price drop/bundles do.
-----------------
In other news, The Wonderful 101 sold 15,134 units in its US launch week bringing the total worldwide sales up to around 44-45K.

Disclaimer -- All sales numbers taken from VGC and are likely to be off by 5-20%, but unless you have a better source at this time don't complain.

I'm happy to see this jump in hardware sales, but I was expecting much more really.

I think we will really see the bump in October the whole GTAmania wasn't the best timing for the Wii U.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
The Wii just passed 100,000,000 units sold (it passed 100mil shipped awhile back) worldwide <:p It's only the 5th console ever to do such a feat, the others being the PlayStation with around 102 million, Game Boy/Game Boy Color with around 118 million, Nintendo DS with 153.6 million, and PlayStation 2 with around 155 million.

I think it could potentially end up passing the first PlayStation in sales this year if sales pick up this Holiday season, and if Nintendo just lets it keep selling for a few more years (and eventually has a price drop to say $79.99) it may even beat the Game Boy/Game Boy Color lifetime sales.

Ex-Actarus

I think Nintendo should have celebrated the milestone...
Seriously, you don't sell 100 million consoles everyday.
I don't think the PS3 and 360 will EVER reach that milestone...
So congrats to the Wii :)

Ex-Actarus

I'm convinced the DS sold more than the PS2 anyway.

Sony had the tendency of referring to shipments numbers, while Nintendo tend to give sales numbers.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
One Week After Price Drop ☆ Wii U Sales in the US Rise Another 37%

In an unexpected turn of events, the US sales of the Wii U rose another 37% to 26,941--a somewhat respectable number and the highest in all of 2013--and bringing the worldwide number for last week to 43,514. This is contrary to the expected fall of Wii U sales based off past sales data, as sales generally drop the week after a major game comes out or a price drop happens.

This personally gives me great hope for the Wii U (sales wise). Stay tuned for what happens next week with the Wind Waker HD bundle launching in Europe!

Disclaimer -- All sales numbers taken from VGC and are likely to be off by 5-20%, but unless you have a better source at this time don't complain.

I'll let Techno handle the details, but just to get the headline out... (or you can check the front page for our run-down)

Weekly WiiU Hardware sales rise to 83,504 (+94%)

Wii U outsold the PS3 this week in the US

Goodtwin

Is Nintendo actually building some momentum? Seriously, I honestly didnt expect to see another sales increase for the Wii U in NA. Its not surprising to see a boost in Europe seeing as how they just got Zelda WW, but the size of that increase is pretty substantial. If Nintendo can manage to sustain these numbers going into the holidays they will be in a pretty good position. The fact that Nintendo is getting aggressive with bundles is a good sign. Not to mention getting creative with some software offerings that should be pretty popular, but are easy for Nintendo to pump out. Wii Sports Online is a good example of how to beef up your software lineup without too much effort. I suspect we will see lots of this over the next few years, especially if third party support gets pretty thin.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
Here's a chart for you guys:
If the Wii U can maintain that number (and everything I've seen says it very well could), it's actually really good. Back in the 360's first year of life, on the week ending Oct 14th it sold 77,836 worldwide and the week before that 87,637 and lastly the week before that 89,330, meanwhile the PS3 sold 84,796 the week ending Oct 6th (with 86,583 & 73,670 the previous two weeks). So the Wii U is now actually performing up to par with other systems in their first year.

Though, since the Wii U has been performing so poorly this whole year--this week marks the most the Wii U has sold in one week all year and this is the first week to my knowledge all year that the Wii U managed to match the year old 360 in sales. It would be nice for the Wii U to pick up more sales before the Holiday rush starts so it can actually start catching up on all it's missed out on. I think the bundles in Japan could be the answer to that, we may even end up seeing the Wii U reaching 125K a week before the Holiday sales rush.

Exciting times.

EvilTw1n

If the Wii U can maintain that number (and everything I've seen says it very well could), it's actually really good. Back in the 360's first year of life, on the week ending Oct 14th it sold 77,836 worldwide and the week before that 87,637 and lastly the week before that 89,330, meanwhile the PS3 sold 84,796 the week ending Oct 6th (with 86,583 & 73,670 the previous two weeks). So the Wii U is now actually performing up to par with other systems in their first year.

Though, since the Wii U has been performing so poorly this whole year--this week marks the most the Wii U has sold in one week all year and this is the first week to my knowledge all year that the Wii U managed to match the year old 360 in sales. It would be nice for the Wii U to pick up more sales before the Holiday rush starts so it can actually start catching up on all it's missed out on. I think the bundles in Japan could be the answer to that, we may even end up seeing the Wii U reaching 125K a week before the Holiday sales rush.

Exciting times.
With the caveat of "meh, teh salez"...

It's an interesting time, because really, it seems like Nintendo just wrote off early 2013.

Relationship with EA? Fell through.
Best version of Aliens: Colonial Marines? Fell through.
Rayman Legends exclusivity? Fell through.
Wonderful 101 in launch window? Fell through.
...and you could probably argue that Far Cry 3 was probably a last-minute scratch, too.
[There's the alleged LucasArts game, too.]

The slate of 2013 games that Nintendo was counting on just wasn't there. So they waited until Aug/Sep to basically re-launch the system. And if you were a Wii owner who also had a PS3 or 360, you just didn't have a HUGE reason to buy a Wii U, unless you were diehards like us. What we're going through right now is Nintendo's first true attempt to show why people need to buy a Wii U; they're only now starting to unfurl the software you can't get anywhere else. People scoffed at Wind Waker HD being something that would push systems, but where the hell else are you going to play it? And if you're a more casual gamer, this is probably the first time you've ever even heard of the game, so it's new to you. It's no wonder sales picked up back to normal after early 2013 didn't give people any reason to go out on a limb to buy the console.

Now it comes down to sustaining
these types of numbers.

Ex-Actarus

I'll go with TechnoHobbit estimates :)

The situation is definitely better in the US.

The Wind Waker HD effect did not happen in Japan.

The Wii U sold "barely" more than 3 K last week.

That's bad...

I'll go with TechnoHobbit estimates :)

The situation is definitely better in the US.

The Wind Waker HD effect did not happen in Japan.

The Wii U sold "barely" more than 3 K last week.

That's bad...
Bundles. WiiU's getting two very soon. That come with Sensor Bars.
Quite important to the Japanese.

I did not expect the new Vita to do 60k this week non the less.

I underestimated the people who were waiting for one.

Nintendo's marketing team needs to knock it out the park this holiday season for the Wii U to regain relevancy again, hopefully this time it lasts for much longer than just a month or two.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=214823
"Sales of Wii U hardware in September increased by more than 200 percent over sales in August"
I can't find the data for August (NPD has been cracking down on leaks), but the July Wii U sales were at 29,000 and if I remember right the sales in August were at least as good if not better. Based off that I'm imagining the sales for September were around 80-90K
TechnoHobbit: 2 Michael Pachter: 0VGChartz: 0
Edit: The popular number going around the interwebz right now is 93K. I think VGC deserves an honorable mention for this month.

EvilTw1n

^
Niiiiiiiiice, TH.

http://rack.3.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDEzLzA0LzE4L2Q5L0hpZ2hGaXZlR0lGLjJhZjQ5LmdpZgpwCXRodW1iCTEyMDB4OTYwMD4/c00f5607/de8/High-Five-GIF-2.gif

Also, an interesting piece of info from gonintendo comes right after what you quoted:

People in other places are waiting for their bundles, the typical "calm before the storm". Plus, the recent Monster Hunter 4 and Pokemon X/Y releases temporarily shifted the fans attention to 3DS.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
TechnoHobbit keep on rocking my man!!!! One day you will be famous (and maybe you should be TNEs own personal guy whos numbers we post only on the front of the site :-?)

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
Thanks guys, Menashe has talk some with me about doing sales reports and such so we'll see what happens.
@Laer_HeiSeiRyuu Yeah I have a 3DS, but I don't know where it is right now (and haven't for awhile :|).

Here's some relevant information
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=701305&page=2

someones google drive
https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B9Xhc02VTSWzM0lVaHZpblNTM1U

On that subject Aquamarine has a horrible attitude.
Pfft this person.

Ex-Actarus

Very impressive hardware numbers.

I didn't realize that the NES was such a beast in Japan.

It pretty much sold as much as the Playstation.

Wow !

But the HUGE surprise for me was to see that the N64 sold nearly as much as the SNES in US.

Amazing ! So Japan was where the N64 failed really ( in comparison of NES and SNES ).

And the DS, WHAT A MONTER ! 60 million in North America ? Damned !

It seems overall, Europe remains the weakest link for Nintendo ( except for the Wii and handhelds ).

I cannot believe the Wii sold less in Japan than the NES and the SNES.

That's weird ! Only place where it happened...

It really explains Nintendo's focus on Japan. The N64 was probably due to their focus on the American market with the N64. Which as you know. All went to the Xbox.

Europe dragged down by the UK. Nintendo never has really made inroads into the UK when they were dominant, it was very Sega oriented area. Which is why Im very interested into seeing how Nintendo of Germany and Nintendo of UK and their push over there develops this gen

The Wii was post PS2 era where the console industry took a massive downturn. They also didnt have Wii Sports as a pack in.

Ex-Actarus

Nintendo UK should really try to take example from Nintendo France. Nintendo always did well in France.

Good advertising and a great image, helps the brand a lot in France. Nintendo has a terrible image in UK, especially in the gaming press...

I think the main problem to break into the UK market is that you need 3 key franchises : Fifa, GTA and COD.

As long as Nintendo is unable to secure those franchises it won't work. And when Nintendo have them ( as COD ), they have to make sure people play them on a Nintendo platforms.

Microsoft made an incredible job on that. And for sure the push for COD and Fifa on Xbone will help the console a lot in Uk.

The other issue is advertising, how come I can hardly see a Nintendo commercial during a champion's league game ? At the same time, there Playstation ads, all over the place...

I think Japan is the best illustration of that strategy : Sony secured Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest for the Playstation, that was brutal for the N64. It probably explains a lot those terrible numbers...

Nintendo then secured Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter it certainly helped the Wii and contained the PS3 in Japan.

That's why I'm surprised Nintendo did not achieve to get games like GTA, Kingdom Hearts, Battlefield or Final Fantasy. Winning markets like Japan and UK is a lost cause without those titles... Unless another "Wii Sport" emerges on Wii U...

the Skylanders bundle is genius. Almost makes up for the BO2 bundle that was cancelled last year. Expect this winter to see the number of consoles major momentum upwards.

I think it's a big move by Nintendo.

A bundle with "Skylanders" and "Nintendo" -- gaming brands parents trust -- written on it, sitting at $300 next to other consoles that are priced at $400 and $500 will look mighty appealing to parents while Christmas shopping. Not to mention it comes with Nintendo Land.

There's a huge different between the Holiday 2012 and Holiday 2013

EvilTw1n

Here's your financial round-up.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/203579/The_Nintendo_Wii_U_continues_to_sell_poorly.php
http://gimmegimmegames.com/2013/10/nintendo-must-secret-weapon-intend-hit-wii-u-sales-goals/
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-10-30-wii-u-being-outsold-by-original-wii

It's weird to read such contradictory information from the exact same data.

Gamasutra says: Nintendo was unable to hide its disappointment in its financial quarter report, noting that the releases of Pikmin 3 and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD have done little to turn the tide for the console.

GimmeGimmeGames says: In Q1 2013 they only sold 160k Wii U units globally. Q2 sales were up by almost 90% to 300k across the globe. It is very important to note that the Wii U’s price cut didn’t hit Japan or Europe until after September 30th. It hit in America on September 20th. So with only 10 days of a lower price in only one region they nearly doubled their last quarter’s sales of the system. Overall it seems like Wii U sales are on the rise.

Exact.
Same.
Data.

Completely different outlooks.

GGG makes an interesting point that Nintendo is either stark-raving mad about achieving their target sales goal, or they've got Brawl and Kart in the bag, ready to launch early next year.

And then there's the GI link that quotes Pachter. I only include it because of Matt's article from the front page. Listen to how Pachter talks to gaming media ("we think the Wii U is the wrong product for consumers"), which is a bit different than just saying "hey, GameStop will make a killing this holiday" to mass media. When people talk about a bias, that's what they mean.

You know I read crap like this and it just further underscores @mattavelle1 point about this industry

Fucking perilous

www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-10-30-gamestop-exec-blames-console-decline-on-lack-of-innovation

The truth is that software has always been what's innovated within this industry. When Miyamoto was thinking up mario 64, it gave birth to the analog stick. said analog stick spurred on the rest of the industry to create new types of games. Hardware isnt the innovator. New hardware is the result of innovation that requires a new precedent,

Wii and Wii U Account for About 1% of EA’s Sales for the Quarter

During the three month period between July and September, games publisher EA recorded a total loss of $273 million, despite revenues netting $695 million. Still, the net less was increase of 28% over the last quarter.

Just how much of this bank was aided by Nintendo's home console platforms? Well, according to the corporation's latest financial report, only $9 million of the netted $695 million came from Wii and Wii U software. Perhaps shockingly, Nintendo handhelds accounted for slightly less of EA's mobile sales than Sony's handhelds which were 6 and 8 per cent respectively.

The total proportion of sales per format, provided by CVG, came be seen below:

• PC - 39.4%
  • Xbox 360 - 24%
  • PlayStation 3 - 18.8%
  • Mobile - 10.8%
  • 'Other' - 3.6%
    Wii - 1.3%
    PlayStation handhelds - 1.0%
    Nintendo handhelds - 0.7%
    PlayStation 2 - 0.3%

While EA reassured Nintendo console owners a couple months back that it is still developing games on Wii U, these results are unsurprising to say the least, as, while perhaps for EA's sake, they did not support Nintendo's platforms as well as they did the others, with unfortunate events, such as Mass Effect 3 Special Edition being almost deliberately sabotaged by the soon after release of the Mass Effect Trilogy for every other current generation platform besides the Wii U, taking place. The trend didn't come to any type of close, with a ready-to-be-published Crysis 3 for Wii U being canned, Madden NFL 2014 skipping Wii U, FIFA 14, while making it on the Wii and 3DS, ultimately skipping the Wii U, and, more recently, the discovery of a canned Wii U exclusive modeled after TIE Fighter and X-Wing titled Wingman.

While insisting that they have a "tremendous relationship" with Nintendo, EA didn't themselves any favors in the PR department when they allowed debilitating statements about the Wii U, such as one of their software engineer calling the Wii U "crap" and "Less powerful than an Xbox 360." to go almost completely under the radar.

All these negative instances haven't prevented Nintendo from selling ="http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/nintendo-stays-course-despite-distance-wii-u-sales-forecast/">300,000 Wii U units in the last financial quarter, an 87% increase on its last quarter.

Iwata Is Innately Upset with Q2 2014 Results | Major Overhaul Presently Avoidable

Racking up larger-than-expected quarterly operating losses thanks to the overall less than stellar, yet rising sales of its next-generation home console platform, the Wii U game, Nintendo's overall Q2 2014 results have prompted Nintendo President and CEO Saturo Iwata to acknowledge these findings as disappointing, but apparently not disappointing enough to set an overhaul in motion.

Making a an appearance at a Wednesday news conference in Osaka to explain the company’s earnings, Mr. Iwata stated that the success of Nintendo’s newest console and the future direction of the firm were riding on the performance of a slew of new games releasing during this upcoming holiday sales season so yes, this means that while Nintendo has a lot of money in bank, they don't have enough money let the Wii U continue selling the way it is now. Mr. Iwata continued on stating that once those results were in, the company executives would review them to decide “what the company needs to do, over the long-term, about its platform.”

The man did not expound further on alternatives, though he noted his lack of belief of a necessary major strategic overhaul.

Mr. Iwata’s statement underscores the tremendous pressure the world’s largest videogame company is under, as the videogame industry moves increasingly to a model where accessing games on mobile devices is seamless and cheap, at least currently.
While the Wii U's struggle more clearly to gaming enthusiasts, like myself, seems to have to do with Nintendo's fumble of the Wii U's launch window, incurring a half-year games drought, Investors and analysts insist the company's problem has more to do with their flagship franchises, such as “Super Mario,” “Pokémon” and “Zelda” not being more widely available, being able to accessed on mobile platforms. Some investors say releasing Nintendo’s formidable content on mobile apps could double or even triple Nintendo’s share price, but Nintendo has consistently make contentions arguing otherwise, such as his statements concluding that doing so could mean the death of the company, which relies on the lure of its games to convince players to buy its hardware. On Wednesday, Mr. Iwata’s stance appeared to have loosened, though he still maintained that the company’s fortunes could turn around with upcoming releases of key titles such as Super Mario 3D World, Wii Party U, and Wii Fit U and if those 2013 titles don't fully seal the deal, Nintendo is still looking at Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U complete the job.

“One game has the power to change everything,” Mr. Iwata said, smiling often during the meeting with reporters, which lasted almost an hour beyond the initially scheduled 30 minutes. “Are we satisfied with these sales results? No. Is it impossible to recover from this? No.”
Nintendo is not only facing a struggle with the increasing interest in mobile gaming, as the company also faces added pressure from other next-generation consoles being rolled out by Sony Corp. and Microsoft Corp. in November.

Mr. Iwata, who has said he is committed to the operating-profit target, put on a brave face, telling reporters that that target was still achievable. Nintendo also kept its full-year sales forecast for Wii U consoles at 9 million units.

Rejecting smartphones and tablets, Nintendo has argued that its success is based on its ability to build its own hardware and provide a gaming experience unavailable on other platforms. The company says that sharing that experience on smartphones may erase the company’s unique edge, discourage people from buying Nintendo devices, and kill its game franchises.

Goodtwin

Mario 3D World will be very telling. If Wii U werent to move at least a million units in December, then we will be talking Dreamcast numbers for Wii U.