Wii U / 3DS sales thread

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
Some of my thoughts on the data: While the Wii U shipment data isn't good (Nintendo probably wishes that the first half of 2013 never happened), it is understandable for these reasons:

[list type=decimal][*]The price cut was only in effect in one region for 10 days (the US) during the time tracked, the US only accounts for around 50% of the sales (as of late) and 10 days isn't much time for Nintendo to issue more shipments (I assume only 1 or 2 could have been made).Stores (based on sold numbers) still had a pretty big amount of Wii U stock just sitting there (so why order more?) up until the day of the price cut.[/list type=decimal]Now that those things are out of the way the shipment numbers won't have anything holding them back (plus the Holiday season is almost here), so if the 3rd QTR numbers are still low that's when it gets real bad. Though if VGChartz is to be believed I don't think we have anything to fear.

It's going to be interesting to see if Nintendo can dig themselves out of this mess by the end of the fiscal year especially if Mario Kart launches next year. Based on what i have seen of sony and next-gen offerings i could definitely wait until at least spring of next year before picking one of either up. How many casuals are going to be willing to spend $299 this holiday season just to play wii sports and wii fit again? Is 3D Mario good enough to be a true tide turning game?

Where's the hype for this system? It still feels like it doesn't even exist. The system is basically dead in japan. Yet Iwata still believes there is a good enough chance that the system is going to somehow move 8 million units between now and April, which would make much more sense if they still had Battlefront 3 and it was coming out this year. I think they can definitely turn the tide it just won't be until Mario Kart if it happens.

At least the sales are on the rise, but to keep them from dipping, Nintendo either needs to surprise us with something for the Wii U that will no doubt sell to the masses or modernize some policies.
As much potential as this console has, and it truly is a great console from what I've experienced so far, so many things are preventing it from truly unlocking its potential.
Start making smart business decisions, Nintendo. Bite the bullet if you have to and do something positive no one would have saw coming, because honestly, it's pretty sad that the entire future of the Wii U is banking on the performance of a couple system sellers.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
doesn't iwata deserved to be fired for that? i can't imagine any other CEO of a publicly traded firm keeping his job after such a dismal failure. i'm sure he's a cool dude and everything, but he doesn't deserve to be in the driver's seat anymore.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
doesn't iwata deserved to be fired for that? i can't imagine any other CEO of a publicly traded firm keeping his job after such a dismal failure. i'm sure he's a cool dude and everything, but he doesn't deserve to be in the driver's seat anymore.
It's a fair question. But this is the company that kept Hiroshi Yamauchi through the Virtual Boy, the N64 giving rise to the PS, and the GC (yes, he resigned a year later, but he was president during its development and launch). Meanwhile, Iwata has probably given them their most lucrative, profitable period. And Nintendo also happens to make the 3DS, which y'know, is kind of a big deal right now (investors could have asked for his head back when the 3DS was deemed a failure). You would fire Iwata if you looked at one year instead of a trend. If the year keeps replicating itself, creating a new and negative trend, then yeah, you might look for a new president.

And I'm also tired of these damn conflicting reporting on the same data. NPR says it's a net-loss for the quarter. Gamasutra says it's a $6.1 million profit. Both of those statements can't be right. Either your expenses exceed your income (giving you a net loss) or they don't (giving you a profit). Maybe NPR is referring to a YOY decrease/loss, but that's not a net loss. Either that, or Gamasutra is wrong about the profit.

WSJ - "A scarcity of compelling titles over the summer translated into a net loss of ¥8 billion ($81.5 million) and an operating loss of ¥18.4 billion for Nintendo’s fiscal second quarter, which ended Sept. 30. That was only a shade better than the net loss of ¥10.8 billion and operating loss of ¥18.8 billion posted a year earlier."

Gamasutra - For the six months ended September 30, 2013, Nintendo posted revenues of 196.5 billion yen ($2.0 billion), down 2.2 percent compared to 201.0 billion yen ($2.05 billion) year-over-year, and profits of 600 million yen ($6.1 million), compared to losses of 28.0 billion yen ($285.2 million) year-over-year.

CNET also reports a profit.

AFP is a bit more clear, saying Nintendo registered a profit these past few months, but still has an operating loss (new profits haven't exceeded the losses generated last year). I suppose if you go back two years, you can say "hey, it's a net loss" (which makes little sense, because you could just as easily peg it at three, four, five or whatever years).

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
looking at their share value, they're in the same place they were when he took over, and that's after 5 years of steady decline. that's a trend..

and i trust npr over gamasutra

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/131030e.pdf

they lost 81mm but the yen is worth more than it used to be resulting in profit. it literally takes money to make money for N. basically the japanese economy is making Nintendo profitable, not Nintendo themselves. not that the distinction really matters in the end.

they should still be ditching iwata imo.

I think he'll step down if the Wii U does not reach a healthy level in sales performance by the end of Q1 2014 as, currently, Iwata is the best CEO Nintendo has had and that's not even in the past. He's bringing their digital business up at a fast rate and he helped revive the 3DS which is on track to be another 100 million seller.

And who the hell would replace Iwata? The only other person I could see who'd even be in a position is the sorry sod that was Running NoA that Iwata had removed.

That'd be a very BAD situation.

Ex-Actarus

I think he'll step down if the Wii U does not reach a healthy level in sales performance by the end of Q1 2014 as, currently, Iwata is the best CEO Nintendo has had and that's not even in the past. He's bringing their digital business up at a fast rate and he helped revive the 3DS which is on track to be another 100 million seller.

Still the videogames business has changed a LOT.

And Iwata refused consistently to consider the SO LUCRATIVE mobile ( tablets and smartphone ) market.

ALL the major publishers on the planet are investing and making profits on mobile devices.

But Nintendo - because of Iwata - failed to take advantage of the fastest growing market in videogames.

Instead Nintendo fake games are polluting the mobile devices and Nintendo don't even get a penny from that.

Nintendo games on mobile devices are a matter of WHEN, not If !!!

And by delaying that INEViTABLE move Iwata damaged Nintendo financials.

Because in the meantime NOTHING has been done to improve the 3rd party situation on Wii U.

So the Wii U suffered a lot from the lack of games and sold at Dreamcast levels in 2013.

That's UNACCEPTABLE !!!

Again, videogames are a business and Iwata is a CEO.

When CEO fail, they leave, OR, they are forced to leave...

Kutaragi was thrown out of Sony gaming division despite the UNPRECEDENTED success of the Playstation 1 and PS2 ( still the best selling console in hardware and software ).

So I don't see why Iwata should get a pass because of the DS and Wii success. He FAILED and needs to go.

Goodtwin

Nintendo wouldnt even have to create new games for mobile. Start with Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros, and Excite Bike and see how things go. Sell them for $4.99 each and see how it goes. This wont step on the toes of anyone who buys your hardware, those are old games. I still think the mobile market would eat these old games up and bring in a ton of revenue for Nintendo.

You guys would kill a company.

I guarantee you that mobile business in its current form is not sustainable. Nintendo needs to get their shit rolling on their own turf first
They see it literally as cheapening their craft. They know that business model isnt sustainable with that market and that bubble will burst. I expect it to happen this generation and then it reforms.

Mobile platforms are mini PC's. PC's havent been able to compete with consoles.

Japan is leagues farther ahead than the west when it comes to mobile game revenue. But shit Nintendo could make a killing off it. Their free to play game they have on the 3DS is really interesting. But that isnt Nintendo's focus

The main difference with Ninteindo? They arent a multi-billion dollar conglomerate. They arent about software like MS is, they arent a multimedia company like Sony is (that is why they are going to remove the hardware from their business model as soon as possible), they are about crafting hardware to bring the experience that they want to bring the consumer to life.

Video games is ALL THEY DO. The business doesnt work like that. The gaming industry relies on keeping their consumer INTERESTED. IT doesnt run hardware like the phone industry does, its all about the experience you get from the software. You dont CHEAPEN that experience in the name of MONEY. That will FUCK OVER YOU BUSINESS.

Like it did with Atari.

Kutagari was fired over strategy. PS2 capitalized on PS1's success, in an anomaly, not easily recreated. Firing Iwata right now would leave Nintendo in a disorganized mess. Do you know how he has set up the company? That shit won't be pretty

Infact Sony had a shit ton of issue. That flawed logic needs to be done away with.

Firing Iwata wont change what Hiroshi Yamauchi has INGRAINED in their core.

Y'all are way too short sighted
Nintendo has never hopped on bandwagons or trends. Dont expect them to now. Modernizing their platform yes, but what you all suggest is a shitty path for a GAMING company.

The instant Nintendo has any inkling to what any of you suggest, Im pulling my stock out of their fast.

The Virtual Boy is Hiroshi's fault far as Im concerned

Fuck it y'all are trying to lead this company down the path Sony went. Fuck that shit. Mattavelle is right.

Everyone has their figures cocked up because they cant read and do math

Then news sites report this and people run around for months with certain ideas in their heads.

Consequences of the internet and faulty source work

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite

Then news sites report this and people run around for months with certain ideas in their heads.

they get their figures directly from nintendo. I posted them up there. ^

A game console is only as good as the games that are made for it. The N64 was a fairly popular system, despite only having sold a fraction of what the PS1 did, and while it didn't have as many games as the PS1, the games it did have were phenomenally good. Many were the best of the generation, some are considered to be the best of all time.

When Iwata said one game has the power to change everything, he was absolutely right. Games sell game consoles, not tech specs and not additional features, games are what sell them. Obviously, the Wii U has yet to find its system sellers, so Nintendo should put all of their resources and efforts into doing what they do best, developing quality games. It seems as though they are betting on Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, and Super Smash Bros. U as the Wii U's killer apps, so we will have to wait and see if it pays off.

they get their figures directly from nintendo. I posted them up there. ^
And their interpretation of that data is all mucked up and awry.

You know I expected y'all to think about things you know? I expect better.

The reality is, what Candy Crush makes is peanuts.Shit even Gungho is on downturn for this quarter. Those guys are smart. Putting their game on the 3DS.

Let me tell you guys something about managing people. About running a company. You dont fire someone who takes a 50% paycut because their platform is struggling, you dont fire someone who refuses to fire any of their employees. You dont fire someone who's banking on long term success. There are difficulties all the time.

You attempt to understand their vision and point of view. You talk with them, you try to see if their approach is correct. You stand by that person. Nintendo is standing by Iwata. For good reason I think. So observe.

There is a hell of a lot that they can do. A shit load more they are going to have to do to make good on their goal. .

Nintendo's shifted away from the mindset about 1 game turning the tide for them, they know that they need a line up of consistent titles that bring momentum to their inert platform. 2014 is going to be interesting to see unfold.

Ex-Actarus

A game console is only as good as the games that are made for it. The N64 was a fairly popular system, despite only having sold a fraction of what the PS1 did, and while it didn't have as many games as the PS1, the games it did have were phenomenally good. Many were the best of the generation, some are considered to be the best of all time.

When Iwata said one game has the power to change everything, he was absolutely right. Games sell game consoles, not tech specs and not additional features, games are what sell them. Obviously, the Wii U has yet to find its system sellers, so Nintendo should put all of their resources and efforts into doing what they do best, developing quality games. It seems as though they are betting on Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, and Super Smash Bros. U as the Wii U's killer apps, so we will have to wait and see if it pays off.

The N64 was a failure for Nintendo. Same for the Gamecube.
Personally, I think that BOTH the Gamecube and the N64 had far more better game than the Wii.
But the Wii sold 100 million console, or pretty much twice the GC and N64... COMBINED !
So a great games alone don't sell console, otherwise the Dreamcast would be one of the best selling console of all time...

There are several key problems right now :. mal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">
1 ) VISION.
Iwata has no VISION whatsoever for Nintendo at the moment.
His strategy ? Bringing a Mario game to sell more Wii Us, because Mario sold consoles in the past.
The that strategy - alone - won't work...
Of course Mario 3D World, Smash 4 and Mario Kart 8 will boost sales, but will they send the Wii U to Wii levels ?
I doubt it ! Because the N64 and the Gamecube had the Mario, Mario Kart and Smash games as well !
Each time the console sales increased and then they declined because of the lack of the 3rd party games.
The DS and Wii were extremely succesful because they had KEY titles to push the console concepts.
On DS we had Nintendogs and Brain training ; on Wii, Wii Sport and Wii Fit.ight: normal;">
Those game were VISIONARY and UNIQUE. There was nothing like it.
Mario, Smash and Co are great. they will ALWAYS sell and they will ALWAYS sell consoles.
But they won't sell enough consoles to sustain a whole generation.
You need something else.... A right now, the Wii U has nothing like that.

2 ) 3RD PARTY GAMES
We've been there before... SO MANY TIMES. But here we go again : no 3rd party support for the Wii U.
How on Earth will the Wii U survive without 3rd party support ? 3rd party support is MANDATORY for the success of a console.
The Wii ( at least for 3 years ) and the DS had phenomenal 3rd party support. The Wii U has poor 3rd party support in US and Europe and near to ZERO in Japan.
The Wii U is selling around 3 K a week in Japan... That's bellow Dremacast level !!!
Why ? Because Japanese 3rd party devs have near to ZERO games on Wii U.
The console had maybe 2 or 3 major title in the whole year. How can the Wii U succeed over there without support.
It's impossible !!!
If the 3DS is selling nearly to DS levels, it's because there is an incredible support from 3rd party devs.
But this support is only great in Japan, that's why 40% of the 3DS have been sold in Japan.
In Europe and US the 3DS is doing well but not great, because the 3rd party support is limited.

3 ) NEW IPs
After the terrible launch of the PS3 in 2006/07, Sony took 3 drastic measures that save the PS3 and allow them to be a fantastic position for the PS4
- Address the Price - Fix PSN- Bring New IPs
That's why we had the likes of Uncharted, Infamous, Little Big Planet, Resistance, Motorstorm, Heavy Rain, etc.-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">
Those new IPs were critical for the PS3 renaissance.
But in the meantime, Nintendo has pretty much done nothing in that area.
The new IPs were mainly for Casual games. The hardcore games new Ips were developed "outside" the key Nintendo studios ( EAD and Retro ).
And games like Xenoblade or the Last Story has a negligible marketing support.
If the 360 has been such a success initially it's because several new IPs : Gears, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Dead Rising, Dead Space, Alan Wake, etc.
So new IPs are also critical to drive new console sales.

So Iwata is INEXCUSABLE.
All that happened during his watch.
Time to go...

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Nah that's bullshit man. And you should know it. The N64 failed to gain traction in Japan. Nintendo wanted to move on past the gamecube. IF the goal is as much marketshare as possible then yeah they failed, but it was split in half in the N64 era,(due to Japan again) and the crazy momentum the PS2 had. They also couldnt shake their image. I think mainly due to how differently their promotional events were to their advertising, and the ridiculous colors the gamecube had ( right now that'd help the WiiU do to how people see it as a Wii itself)

Im not going to hop on Iwata's ass as quickly as all of you. I've given him one more year to prove that his vision for the WiiU is the right path. One More Year.

3rd partys issues arent going to be solved lickitity split no matter how you slice. Especially not when they're INTENTIONALLY gimping their products on Nintendo platforms for "PARITY" with last gen consoles. Why do you think EA cancelled Crysis 3 on the WiiU? Huh?

New IP's dont do shit. WE NEED NEW GAMES. Nintendo's holding shit close to the velt right now. Even in this god awful TAWDRY situation. I say you sit and wait for next year before you start get

Its a bullshit money man game. The same shit is happening to the IOS market in a different form. And its all going to come crashing down on us eventually

You just can't put all the blame on Iwata. Major third party and a few exclusives pulled because of it are not without consequence.

Let me blackmail you and then turn around and blame you.

I don't understand why everyone writes off the N64, and to a lesser extent the GCN, as failures. They were profitable platforms that had a decent amount of market share. There were plenty of failed consoles in the fifth generation, such as the 3DO, Jaguar, Pippin, and arguably even the Saturn, but the N64 was far from that. So what made it a failure, because it sold less than its predecessor? Well that would make the SNES and PS3 failures. How about not being the market leader? Then the Genesis, 360, and PS3 would be considered failures. Obviously the answer is no. So while the N64 was not the most successful system of its era, it was far from being a failure.

But that's all besides the point, onto the more relevant matters at hand.

1. Vision

From my understanding, the vision for the Wii U seems to be returning back to games. The Wii's massive success can mostly be credited to the introduction of motion controls, which at the time was a new and shiny novelty that most had yet to experience before. Now that the novelty has worn off, they can no longer depend on it to move systems, so returning a more game oriented focus was a logical step forward.

Furthermore, nobody is claiming that Super Mario 3D World, MK8, or SSBU are going to be the only system sellers for the Wii U's entire lifespan. My point was that they seem to be the upcoming killer apps for the Wii U. They are pretty much guaranteed to move some units, so they are a safe bet. There's nothing stopping the Big N from developing more potential killers apps, and any notion saying that they wouldn't is ridiculous.

2. Third parties

I'll keep this dead horse brief. Third parties won't develop on Wii U until it has a bigger install base, but the install base isn't going to grow as much without third parties. It's basically up to Nintendo's first and second party games to increase the install base.

3. New IPs

Just for clarification.

New IPs =/= New Experiences

Every generation needs new experiences, but they do not always have to come as new IPs. It's also entirely possible for new IPs to not be a new experience. This is a point Miyamoto has constantly stated, and it is one that I stand by.

With that said though, I too would love to see Nintendo develop some new IP's, as well as bring back some familiar faces. Star Fox U anyone?

4. Iwata

It seems as though people always need someone to blame when things go wrong. Yes, it's true, Iwata has not handled the Wii U as well as he should, and he's already paid for it once, by cutting his own pay in half. Personally, I like Iwata. I think he holds the long term interest of his firm at heart.

But seeing as you and so many others seem bent on getting rid of him, please tell us, who should replace him and what really makes you think that they will be any different?

Ex-Actarus

@SirTurtlelot.
The N64 and the Gamecube were failure. Period.
Again, I'm not talking about the quality of the games or hardware here, that's another discussion.
From a business prospective the N64 and Gamecube were failures
Nintendo was the leader in the industry, if you go down as Number 2 and you're losing market share, you're not in a good position.
The issue wasn't just the hardware numbers, but also the software numbers. The NES and SNES had hundreds of million seller games... HUNDREDS !
And the great things was that 3rd party devs were making lots of money as well, not just Nintendo ( i'll come back to this point ).
Nintendo managed to have very good financial thanks to the handhelds that had a very low budget cost for games but an incredible return.
I heard once that the budget for a GBA game for 300 K. When you sell a million copies or even 500 K of a game, imagine the ROI...
Back to my points.
nt-variant: normal; font-weight: normal;">
1) VISION
It's pretty funny that you start the Vision discussion by :" From my understanding"... That's PRETTY TELLING :)
The truth is that there is not real Vision for the Wii U...
The Vision for the Wii was simple and fantastic : "Expanding the videogames audience", games for everybody, not just gamers.
In order to fulfill that Vision, Nintendo created motion controls that did not require a learning curve. Seconds after you had the wiimote in your hands, you understood the whole thing.
To this day, and by IWATA OWN ADMISSION, Nintendo didn't manage to sell the concept of the Wii U and Gamepad."Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif">
After 2 E3 and countless commercials, people were still not sure what the Wii U was... That speaks volume !

2 ) 3RD PARTY DEVS
No you're wrong, the Installed Base is NOT the issue here.
The PS4 and Xbone have zero consoles sold, but they have an overwhelming support from 3rd party devs.
The Wii sold more that ANY other systems out there.
The Wii had the biggest installed base this gen. It sold nearly as much as the Playstation, 100 million and counting, and sold nearly a BILLION softwares.
But despite that the 3rd party devs abandoned the Wii, even when the Wii was on top.
And some devs never supported the Wii despite its incredible success of the system.
Why ?
Because pretty much ONLY Nintendo ( and few publishers as Ubi and EA ) was making money.
Look at the list of the top 50 or top 100 Wii games sold.
That list is OUTRAGEOUSLY dominated by Nintendo.nt-size: 15px; line-height: 18px;">
Nintendo needs to put in place an Ecosystem similar to what existed during the NES/SNESera where 3rd party devs were making lots of money on Nintendo platforms.
Iwata failed miserably to put such an ecosystem in place.

3) NEW IPs
Don't try to spin it as Miyamoto did :)
Iwata went on record on that several times.
They keep bringing the same IPs because those ones sell. Period.15px; line-height: 18px;">
They just don't want to take risks with new IPs.
Iwata's mark again...

IWATA
So again, for each of these points, Iwata is DIRECTLY responsible and he needs step down.
He made promises and keeps making them, but we don't see any changes.
We need someone with a new vision that will transform Nintendo from the inside out.
In my opinion, this would be his agenda :l, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal;">
- Priority 1: restore 3rd party relationship
- Priority 2 : bring Nintendo in the mobile games business
- Priority 3 : develop the Next gen systems with a whole new vision
- Priority 4 : expand the Nintendo devs teams outside Japan
- Priority 5 : reshuffle the org chart ( Less Miyamoto and more people outside Japan )
Such changes would take years to be put in place, so the sooner, the better.
I like Iwata as a person as well a lot, and I will miss him, but as a CEO, he now failed.
: 10pt; line-height: normal;">Those are the rules of the games in a Business world...

As for who should replace him, I don't know, but I would like someone OUTSIDE from Nintendo.
I don't think someone internal would change Nintendo.
We need someone who managed to make drastic changes in prior companies and someone who can inspire and bring a new vision.
Also someone who can straight away gain the confidence of 3rd party devs.

GamingFreak1988

The Platformer Guru
Probably going to make myself look like a fool but.. One major thing I've noticed with 3rd party games on nintendo vs sony and microsofts systems straight away is advertising and marking hype. 3rd party developers tend to really hype up their games for sony's and microsofts systems, to let gamers know about them, as well as large advertising campaigns for big games. That very rarely ever happens on nintendo's consoles lately. For the games that do end up on nintendo's systems, they tend to lots of time barely even advertise the existance of the games. Basically treating them like after thoughts.

On the wii for example the few good 3rd party games that came out for the wii, hardly had any hype or advertising for them outside of gaming dedicated sites running stories of them, the ones that did however, had nowhere NEAR the level you see on sony's and microsofts systems. And it was mostly gamers who kept up with gaming news who were aware of them or spread the word around about their existance. I mean a game developer like high voltage software with sega publishing was able to get a game like conduit rather hyped up. Why couldn't other bigger developers, publishers do the same?
Didn't help that way too many developers intentionally put out floods of garbage titles [ not mediocre/ just decent but straight up avoid territory] to screw unaware people out of money with pretty box arts, even big time publishers pulled that stunt frequently. Instead of actually trying to make good games for the system.

Wiiu is having the same thing happen, though there are a lot less atrocious titles so far, look at upcoming games like cod there's hardly anything about it for the wiiu version, in fact they didn't even confirm its existance until way after the other systems were known to have it. It's mainly hyped up for the other systems, with barely anything about the wiiu version.

It's like developers just put the games on the systems then expect huge sales instantly with out much effort in letting people know about the the game, and why they should get it, it definitely isn't helping that soo many games are being gimped on the wiiu, which will definitely turn people off of the system quick when previous generation versions get more content. It's like they're expecting nintendo to do all the work in selling their games for them on the system.

But nintendo themselves aren't innocent either, they definitely could indeed try and build hype for the games on the system, limited bundles help but will only do so much. I mean they aren't even advertising their own games on the system, unless its a major guaranteed seller like mario, etc. Just look and wonderful 101 for a recent example, hardly anything for it. They did it on the wii as well, unless it was a major title and not minor, there was very little advertising for them. Titles like excitebots trick racing come to mind for a game that really could've sold nicely with advertising.

Nintendo themselves seem to be treating the wiiu like an after thought to me. So many people don't even know of its existance, let alone the ones that do know think its a add on for the wii. The second that occurred they really should've strived hard in marketing to get the system known its a new system and why people should buy it.

Sony and microsoft spends huge amounts of money marketing their systems, but it gets the job done, that's for sure despite being expensive. Nintendo is being very silent and just hoping word of mouth will sell it.. Nope that won't work that easily. The kiddie, family friendly image is true, since that's kind of mainly what nintendo has been about in terms of their own ip's being mostly suited for everyone, instead of focuses on teens and adults like sony's and microsofts.

Quite a few people litterally want nothing to do with games like these, and they probably would'nt ever be sold on this system since sony and microsft do a good job of categoring to them in that regard. Nintendo would probably have to change over their whole entire image to really get those people on board. Which more than likely would not work too well for a company focused on the exact opposite of that.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

See the thing is Nintendo really doesnt want to create a false sensation of hype. That'd probably be the final kicker in the knads for them business wise.

Honestly though the reason Im no where near the levels of "push Iwata out" as the rest of you is due to the fact that , fixing one of the biggest issues.

They need to get aggressive quick and fast, they already have their sales pitch for the year, I dont know how effective it'll be but they need to get it out and rolling, so they can move on to their 2014 strategy.

You see the WiiU is literally Nintendo's only problem from a financial standpoint. What does it need? A system defining killer app and a line up of steady games that supports this set up. That is literally all it needs to turn this situation around from an install base standpoint. 2014 is pivotal in establishing this precedent, if that fails the WiiU is screwed and so is Iwata's paycheck.

Look Ex Acterus I know you're worried as fuck, but honestly If a company I was working for got a CEO like that. I'd probably leave ( I personally am not a fan of corporate set up. I've observed too much of it from my stints at Sloan. That shit aint healthy imo)

Ex-Actarus

But I know that 2014 will be a far better year for the Wii U.

No doubt about that.

But even if games as 3D World, Smash 4 and Mario Kart 8 boost drastically the installed base, it won't change the biggest issues : 3rd party and the mobile market.

Even after the big games, the Wii U will still suffer from typical drought periods because there is a poor 3rd party support. That's the reason Tropical Freeze was pushed back, because they probably don't have any game ready before March 31 2014. Mario Kart, Smash, X, Bayonetta 2, Tropical Freeze, all that is great. But what else ? You are not going to sustain a platform just with 5 or 10 games for a full year. That's where 3rd party are essential.

On the mobile market, I agree with the Wall Street Journal, Nintendo execs are stubborn. I mean not bringing games to mobile market is a complete nonsense. As Goodtwin said they don't even need to develop new games, just bring some NES / SNES classics, would generarte millions in revenue.

Yes I'm very worried. if the fiscal year numbers are bad for Nintendo, they will enter in a very negative spiral.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

I dont think the mobile market is in the position it needs to be to be sustainable

But it'd probably be easy for Nintendo to bankroll some cash. By making software that fits the IOS platform. They know how to work the free 2 play game formula into something that's actually fun for the consumer surprisingly .

I think its more to do with Nintendo not wanting to put their games on any other platform except their own. I believe its the same reason they wont go around ponying up cash for every game on the block from every western dev to put their games on their system. Its not a precedent they want to set. And this is in the way more lucrative mobile market in Japan. I think that says something

Major third party publisher support can always be strongarmed, if they're put in a position where they HAVE To make money and they can't by avoiding Nintendo platforms they will begrudgingly put their games there. Otherwise the support we will see is Indies and some odd cases here and their.

I... these are some dire times for Nintendo. Things arent always so simple but they dont have any real options in its current format. Not with the way people see things, and the potential reality being quite different. They have a lot of resistance built up against them due to their differences. Its not easy at all. In some ways I agree that Iwata needs to manage everything better, but I dont know how things progressed or the scope of the situation from what he's observed. So I cant comment on his ability. Its up to him to prove he knows what he needs to do to direct Nintendo on the path to where they need to go in a progressive manner.

You know the one thing Im just hoping for?

NIntendo's marketing message to NOT contradict itself

In the era where they were peddling off the gamecube in cabaret clubs with beer surrounding it you have commercials like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WPteMFkI2k

Contradictions will be the worst thing for this system.

If they want to return to those Nintendo like profits, they dont just need to make a case that's good enough, they need to go above and the beyond with the system and its line up. People love to talk shit about the Wii. Nintendo made this system so it carried the Wii's philosophy but, didnt get all the shit that the Wii did.

They need to make this case and make it fast, that is the only way they're going to get the market share they need

Just talked my friends into buying a WiiU last night. My girlfriends niece was playing art academy and it just went from there... My friends wife was like "what's that" "how do you do that" etc, etc, etc. Then my friend asked what games it had. I said it'll play all your wii games, your VC games, plus new ones, played the new SMBU with him, had a blast. Showed them Netflix, Amazon, and the web browser. Off tv play was the big selling point... "So i can play megaman, while she watches something else on tv?" "Yup" "SOLD!"
that's the magic that's missing from gamestop/bestbuy etc. It's not being used in a practical environment. It's a game machine with the whole family in mind. The joy in their faces is what makes Nintendo magical imo....

Goodtwin

It is amazing how poorly Nintendo has marketed the Wii U. I was over at my cousins house Friday night to give my niece her b-day gift and hang out for the night. I was talking to my cousin about them coming over for a Wii U night since my niece is getting pretty good at games (she just turned six). My cousins question was, "what exactly is the Wii U?" She wasnt sure if it was just a new controller, or even a stand alone portable game console. There is no question there is some serious consumer confusion on what the Wii U is outside of the core gamer community. Once I explained what it was and how games like Nintendo Land world, they are pretty excited to give it a shot. Wii U still has a ton of potential, but Nintendo needs to get their ass in gear before its too late.

Ex-Actarus

It is amazing how poorly Nintendo has marketed the Wii U. I was over at my cousins house Friday night to give my niece her b-day gift and hang out for the night. I was talking to my cousin about them coming over for a Wii U night since my niece is getting pretty good at games (she just turned six). My cousins question was, "what exactly is the Wii U?" She wasnt sure if it was just a new controller, or even a stand alone portable game console. There is no question there is some serious consumer confusion on what the Wii U is outside of the core gamer community. Once I explained what it was and how games like Nintendo Land world, they are pretty excited to give it a shot. Wii U still has a ton of potential, but Nintendo needs to get their ass in gear before its too late.
When you compare this marketing to the Wii marketing in 05/06 what a difference.
EVERYBODY knew about the Wii and wanted to try it.
Compare this Wii commercial 2006http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKp6PLwxsM

To this Wii U commercialhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dbGJieRaH0

What a marketing fiasco !!!

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I don't consider Nintendo necessarily stupid when it comes to their marketing because I would imagine they were expecting Wii owners to jump onboard with the Wii U. It of course has not worked, which is why they need to advertise more. Hopefully with that new company they picked up who used to work with Sony can help spread the word about the console.
But here's another thing to consider. If those 300k sales figures for just the month of October turn out to be true, maybe more people know about the Wii U than we realize. I don't know though. It'll be interesting to see what sort of sales figures we'll be seeing in the coming months.

It is amazing how poorly Nintendo has marketed the Wii U.
That's it. U already has some great hits, and there will be a bunch by the end of winter. But what good does it do? Things are changing a little now, but this stealth marketing has been and continues to be the main problem.

Shoulder

It is amazing how poorly Nintendo has marketed the Wii U.
That's it. U already has some great hits, and there will be a bunch by the end of winter. But what good does it do? Things are changing a little now, but this stealth marketing has been and continues to be the main problem.

It's a branding issue I think. Nintendo had for years been the number one company in video games, but now it's a toss up between Sony and Microsoft (although I personally would give Sony an edge there), so I think Nintendo is expecting the brand to carry itself, but the problem right now is many people don't even realize the Wii U exists. So I guess the brand alone is not working right now. But what's puzzling is the 3DS is a major seller, so you'd almost think one would help carry the other. Like I said, it's confusing.

But what's puzzling is the 3DS is a major seller, so you'd almost think one would help carry the other. Like I said, it's confusing.
3DS gets free advertising by default since it's portability lets it be seen everywhere. And, they are pushing it more themselves. Plus, lack of competition from the failed vita. But a console is a console. And Wii U has not one, but two to compete with. But they act almost the same as if they were alone in a vacuum.

At this point, I'll hope for a rain dance if that would get something to really improve the marketing.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

You see that's what's wrong with Nintendo and Sony.

Nintendo has different development strategies at play, but their presentation is the same thing. Sony on the other hand thinks a console game works on a handheld and thinks their console strategy works for the vita. It really doesnt..

You see that's what's wrong with Nintendo and Sony.

Nintendo has different development strategies at play, but their presentation is the same thing. Sony on the other hand thinks a console game works on a handheld and thinks their console strategy works for the vita. It really doesnt..
So, what you're really trying to say is that Nintendo and Sony should come together again to make a gaming company like they almost did in the mid '90's? vita2=4DS confirmed.

Shoulder

But what's puzzling is the 3DS is a major seller, so you'd almost think one would help carry the other. Like I said, it's confusing.
3DS gets free advertising by default since it's portability lets it be seen everywhere. And, they are pushing it more themselves. Plus, lack of competition from the failed vita. But a console is a console. And Wii U has not one, but two to compete with. But they act almost the same as if they were alone in a vacuum.

At this point, I'll hope for a rain dance if that would get something to really improve the marketing.

I can see that point. I suppose another way to look at it is Nintendo hasn't exactly "grown up" with the gaming community, so with that came the whole "kiddy image" during the GCN era, and subsequently Gamers simply moved onto Playstation and Xbox. That guy from Nintendo was probably right when he said that all gamers want are violent video games, and this was back during the GCN days.
But there's something else I'm seeing among some gamers right now. Some are abandoning consoles in favor of PCs, but Nintendo is still their secondary console. Granted, this is likely a small minority, but even I'm thinking about doing that. I was set on getting a PS4 sometime next year, but now I'm having second thoughts. Thinking of instead building a Gaming PC, and use that while having my Wii U as my secondary platform. I might still end up a getting a PS4 down the road, but PC Gaming is starting to come back to me.