Wii U / 3DS sales thread

GamingFreak1988

The Platformer Guru
Nintendo Really needs to start advertising this system, like right now. Like the part where games can been played on the gamepad, use it like a tv screen some games, all wii games. Would definitely get interests from families with 1 single entertainment area. [ They really need commercials of that, like dad playing a game then kids or mother want to watch, then he switched to the gamepad while everyone else watches tv, or vice versa.] Bringing up the backwards compatability with all of its wii games would definitely help. There's definitely enough games to atleast have some interest, they could definitely show quick slides during a commercial of what's available as well. Then of major hitter to come in the future.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Join the ** ****** ****.

PJ Monkey Club?

Yeah why should I buy a PC like console with no of the benefits of PC gaming when I can make one myself for a little more money upfront?
http://i.imgur.com/yBF7ujJ.jpg

Don't even get me started on the costs of owning a smartphone.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
You dont fire someone who takes a 50% paycut because their platform is struggling, you dont fire someone who refuses to fire any of their employees. You dont fire someone who's banking on long term success. There are difficulties all the time.

You attempt to understand their vision and point of view. You talk with them, you try to see if their approach is correct. You stand by that person. Nintendo is standing by Iwata. For good reason I think. So observe.
i'm not saying iwata's failed for a lack of effort. i'm sure he's a good guy and i'm sure he's done and is doing his best. but a CEO's job is to ensure that the company is maximizing profitability. he's not doing that. selling 5% of your goal in the first year of wii u is a pretty huge failure. squandering early successes to the point where the company has very steadily lost 80% of it's market value - 80% of it's market value - since late 2006 is unforgivable. it's a publicly traded company and results are more important than how you feel about the guy. if their board could have seen a chart of what iwata would do to nintendo after launching the wii, he would have been told to resign on the spot back at this time in 2006. right now, with this guy at the reigns, they're just throwing good money after bad. either way, he won't be there for long though.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

You dont fire someone who takes a 50% paycut because their platform is struggling, you dont fire someone who refuses to fire any of their employees. You dont fire someone who's banking on long term success. There are difficulties all the time.

You attempt to understand their vision and point of view. You talk with them, you try to see if their approach is correct. You stand by that person. Nintendo is standing by Iwata. For good reason I think. So observe.
i'm not saying iwata's failed for a lack of effort. i'm sure he's a good guy and i'm sure he's done and is doing his best. but a CEO's job is to ensure that the company is maximizing profitability. he's not doing that. selling 5% of your goal in the first year of wii u is a pretty huge failure. squandering early successes to the point where the company has very steadily lost 80% of it's market value - 80% of it's market value - since late 2006 is unforgivable. it's a publicly traded company and results are more important than how you feel about the guy. if their board could have seen a chart of what iwata would do to nintendo after launching the wii, he would have been told to resign on the spot back at this time in 2006. right now, with this guy at the reigns, they're just throwing good money after bad. either way, he won't be there for long though.
Except the Wii and the DS made them a shitload of money.

Nintendo has a reputation issue that they need to deal with. Companies are going to lose market share regardless, you cant have a strong hold like that forever, 80% is a bit much tho , but you dont fire people over that. You fire people because they dont pay attention. And for the Wii Family Edition.

On that note, Nintendo could have avoided their downturn with the Wii sales if they kept expanding and revamping their Wii strategy like they were doing in 2009. 2010/2011 were the send off years(first party wise), then they killed it for the WiiU. That only works if the thing sells well and cements its place in the market . It has yet to do that almost a year after release, but it has even more dire and ominous problems to deal with even if it gets out this spot. That reputation issue.

Iwata's coming close to being on the stop talking shit and get fit list for the obliviousness to the problems their systems would face.

Like I said, if they are to put themselves in the position where they're constantly profiting like they normally do, they need to haul some serious ass.

Somethings wrong with Nintendo of America. Just putting tjhat out there plainly. Something is seriously shitty here. They really do need wider advertising efforts and effective consumer communication. Cause they're pretty much doing everything but TV ads in the States.

I guess Iwata's dealing with the shit that Katsumi left in his lackadaisical management of NOA

They have some rumblings of a vertically integrated style business , but its not fully fleshed out nor are they not taking advantage of it .-.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
squandering early successes to the point where the company has very steadily lost 80% of it's market value - 80% of it's market value - since late 2006 is unforgivable.
I think this is the key point of difference. If you're an investor and you thought it was going to perpetually be 2006/2007, your expectations are just completely bonkers.

Here's Nintendo's chart: http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=NTDOY+Interactive
Here's Ubisoft's chart: http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=UBI.PA+Interactive
Here's EA's chart: http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=EA+Interactive
Here's Take Two's: http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=TTWO+Interactive

Set the parameters to start at 2003, giving you a good decade's worth of data. Paints an interesting picture, to say the least.

[Also worth noting that if you're just looking around for sky-high stock without taking any context into focus, you're pretty much buying speculative stock. If you're investing for long-term, you're going to be looking beyond the stock price to the company's profitability, and thus viability.]

All of that said, I think it was mightyme who mentioned in another thread about Wii Fit U being basically stealth launched. THIS is the type of thing that is unforgivable. This is a big-name IP for Nintendo to push, and they're doing ZERO marketing for it. Nada. Iwata can make a case to keep his job because of the market being fickle, and that he's been so successful overall. But sitting on your hands and not bothering to market your product to turn things around? That's just crazy.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
@Mike D. you're really just proving my point there when you look into it. all those companies saw their value falling in a similar way that nintendo's did. their response was to hire a new CEO's, change their direction, and look what happened. the companies started performing again. unlike ubi, ea and TT, nintendo has stuck to it's guns. unlike ubi, ea and TT, nintendo is failing to recover. so in the context of the conversation we're having about iwata here, your data promotes the idea that he needs to go. so often it's poor management that leads to declining value, not the environment.

it's true that nintendo isn't the only gaming company to lose value since 2006. but that doesn't mean there haven't been consistently well performing companies like konami, sega, activision etc. those companies are just being managed better. even failing companies are outperforming nintendo in recent years because they are willing to adapt their structure when things aren't going well. i completely understand your point that markets can be fickle, but that's no excuse for iwata. they haven't experienced some sudden downturn that can be explained by wildly unpredictable market fluctuations. nintendo's decline under iwata's leadership since late 2006 has been extremely steady. he's just not doing a good job.

edit: i was wrong, ubi has stuck with their CEO. they also haven't recovered much value.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Companies are going to lose market share regardless, you cant have a strong hold like that forever, 80% is a bit much tho , but you dont fire people over that.

yes you do man. you absolutely do. i can't imagine any other publicly traded company steadily losing 80+% of it's value over an extended period of time without changing CEO's. and if you can find an example of a company that's operated that way, i bet it's been dissolved. that's not a winning strategy.

Goodtwin

Iwata decided to give himself a pay cut when things werent going well. Over here in the US CEO's give themselves bonuses even when things are in the toilet. I remember after Chevrolet took the government bailout they had the audacity to give out high ranking employees bonuses within weeks of taking the bailout. They actually took bailout money to give rich assholes bonuses for a problem that they helped cause. Not to mention Iwata's salary is very low compared to CEO's here in the US. You cant fire a guy that was overseeing the company during the five years that the Wii printed money after a couple of bad years. Its not like Iwata is bleeding them dry. If Iwata totally fails with the Wii U and the company is losing money year after year, then he wont need to be fired, he will step down. These guys have so much more character than dicks over here. A CEO here in the US who bleeds a company dry and makes a bundle of money for doing it is a common occurrence. If things look like they are still in the toilet this time next year, then maybe we can talk about a new CEO, but you dont fire a guy who reigned over the most successful home console Nintendo has ever had, not to mention portable. The DS and Wii were risky when they brought those products to market, your not going to set the world on fire every time. Seeing as how the DS, Wii, and 3DS all come during Iwata's leadership, I wouldnt call for his head just yet.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
@goodtwin you don't know that iwata's pay cut was voluntary at all. businesses do things like that so their higher management can save face all the time. same thing with stepping down vs being canned. that's like saying nixon stepped down instead of being removed from office. in reality he was going to be fired and sent to federal prison.

also, i guarantee that iwata's pay even at 100% has zero effect on nintendo's bottom line (you mentioned he isn't bleeding them dry). we're talking about a multi-billion dollar company here, not a small business. it was a public gesture where iwata could admit he's royally fucked up nintendo while also looking like a good guy. i think he was getting spanked by the board right there.

yes there are ludicrously unethical CEOs running other unrelated companies. that doesn't mean iwata is doing a good job. at the risk of sounding like a broken record, he was behind the wheel wile nintendo steadily lost 80+% of its value over 6-7 years, and the feather on that cap is that he's only sold 5% of what he promised investors he'd get to retail with the wii u. he's not a good ceo.

EvilTw1n

you're really just proving my point there when you look into it.
No I'm not. I'm telling you that if you think Nintendo was perpetually going to be in 2006-ish mode, you're out of your freaking mind. That was a bubble.

As MJ said, you've got the DS, Wii, and 3DS as successful, and the Wii U as a question mark. You've got one annual loss. You want to fire him on that record, go ahead. Track back the stock chart to 1996 (that's as far back as it'll go), and look at the trend. That was a bubble around 2008. A very profitable bubble, but a bubble, nonetheless. That isn't coming back. Hiring a new CEO is not magically going to inflate that stock. It helps if your expectations are reasonable. Saying "turn back the clock to 2007 or else!" is not reasonable.

(It's also stupid to take a CEO's job over bullshit that was far outside of his or her day-to-day leadership. If anyone blames Take Two's ex-CEO for the Hot Coffee lawsuit, they're idiots. Of course, if stockholders got their way, they'd probably fire most of Rockstar for that, which would be doubly stupid.)

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Thats why I said something is really wrong with NoA. There is literally no advertising on any mainstream network that isnt aimed at kids over here.

NoJ is doing advertising, NoE is doing well I think, particularly with Australia/Germany/France, the UK has problems, but I dont see any ads.

Oh hey a Super Mario ad.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
@Mike D. so, you used other gaming company's trends as examples of the ups and downs of the marketplace implying that factors out of iwata's control led to nintendo's steady decline. i pointed out that your data shows that when these other companies experience downs, they change their strategies (through hiring new leadership) and the value of the company rises again. that's what i'm suggesting nintendo should also do. get new leadership, try some new ideas, attempt to live to it's potential (which i think we can all agree is not happening currently under iwata). so maybe "proving" my point was a poor choice of words, but you definitely supported it there. CEO's most definitely do have a meaningful impact on the performance of a firm and the data you posted supports that. but that should go without saying.

i maxed the chart, and yes there is the short period of enormous profitability followed by 6 years of failing to capitalize on that success. losing 80% of your company's value in such a gradual way is NOT normal. it's an established trend of year over year failure. and like i said, he's now capped it off by only meeting 5% of his 12 month goal for wii u. it's squandered opportunity left and right. that's why he's punished with a pay cut. that's why he's even suggested himself that he wont last long if doesn't meet some very specific (and presently unattainable) goals. he hasn't done a good job for a long time.

their handhelds do great. maybe he could step down to a position within nintendo where he can focus on that. but pointing at that as evidence that he's a good ceo while he's lost 80% of nintendo's value over 6 straight years is nuts. it's like i burnt your house down and claimed to be a good steward because the lawn looks amazing

in fairness, it's not normal to QUADRUPLE your company's value in two years like he did with the wii either. so definitely kudos to him. i'm tempted to call the wii a happy accident, but since he was there since '02 i'll give him full credit. but the business world as i know it generally has a 'what have you done for me lately' attitude, and iwata hasn't been kicking ass and taking names for a long time. he's like the buster douglas of gaming.

i really don't know what you mean with the hot coffee thing. i agree that it would be dumb to fire a successful ceo over something as trivial as that. i looked at take two's last two ceo's, the first was fired for corporate fraud and the second stepped down for reasons taht are unclear (maybe he didn't like it?).

EvilTw1n

Getting new leadership won't make it 2007 again. That's my point. It's nearly a complete abberation to quadruple your company's value in two years; call it a fluke, call it a bubble, call it luck, or call it all three. I think you're correct to say that the Wii was a happy accident. It's just very hard to plan happy accidents.
I don't think Iwata should be given a blank check or something (the failure to manage NOA's marketing strategy - if it can be called that - is positively stunning). But it's not like you could even look at that stock chart and figure out "oh, the 3DS did a complete
180." The data isn't there to support it, but the profits in the company's coffers from that turnaround certainly is. Imagine if the Wii U does the same type of turnaround, but the stocks don't jump. Then what? You fire the CEO because he's running a profitable and solvent company with successful products, simply because you want the stocks to make a carbon copy of 2008?

[Nintendo is also an absolutely maddeningly conservative Japanese company. Their ethos has been financial stability, not chasing golden rings. It's debatable that any prospective CEO who could get the job would be able to shake that. Believe it or not, Iwata has been the risky one who helped catch lightning in a bottle.]

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
winning the lottery is a happy accident. some people manage it well and some people are broke and destitute a few years later. it's about your ability to capitalize/sustain/manage that success. iwata let it slip away.

also i think the whole "carbon copy of 2008" thing is a bit of a red herring. i'm saying losing over 80% of your market value over 6 years is unacceptable. i think nintendo should have looked at going in a new direction when they lost 50% of their value. or even 60% of their value. that was years ago now, but they stuck with the guy. now they're down 80%, and their newest console investment is a veritable flop in a marketplace that has immeasurably tougher competition than the 3DS ever will. truman was a CEO and he said "the buck stops here". iwata's gotta take responsibility for all this at some point. so how much longer do you continue to bleed out with this guy in charge? like i said in another post, this is called throwing good money after bad.

not to mention that nintendo's had some of the exact same issues in this industry ever since the gamecube era. you know what they are, and iwata's failed to fix them given an entire decade of leadership. i think a lot of the people who get pissed at publishers for not properly supporting nintendo should take a step back and realize that nintendo's game theory may be a bit off compared to it's competitors in some regards. after 11 years as CEO, this is where iwata took it.

it's fair to call nintendo a conservative company. especially when you don't see them doing ridiculous shit like this. but their market performance under iwata has been the antithesis of "stability".

Shoulder

Iwata decided to give himself a pay cut when things werent going well. Over here in the US CEO's give themselves bonuses even when things are in the toilet. I remember after Chevrolet took the government bailout they had the audacity to give out high ranking employees bonuses within weeks of taking the bailout. They actually took bailout money to give rich assholes bonuses for a problem that they helped cause. Not to mention Iwata's salary is very low compared to CEO's here in the US. You cant fire a guy that was overseeing the company during the five years that the Wii printed money after a couple of bad years. Its not like Iwata is bleeding them dry. If Iwata totally fails with the Wii U and the company is losing money year after year, then he wont need to be fired, he will step down. These guys have so much more character than dicks over here. A CEO here in the US who bleeds a company dry and makes a bundle of money for doing it is a common occurrence. If things look like they are still in the toilet this time next year, then maybe we can talk about a new CEO, but you dont fire a guy who reigned over the most successful home console Nintendo has ever had, not to mention portable. The DS and Wii were risky when they brought those products to market, your not going to set the world on fire every time. Seeing as how the DS, Wii, and 3DS all come during Iwata's leadership, I wouldnt call for his head just yet.

And one thing I'd like to add is most CEOs we hear about are Western. Nintendo operates on a more Eastern frame of mind, so their ways are slightly different. I mean, Iwata wouldn't even layoff employees because he said the long-term morale would dwindle as a result of people becoming worried they might lose their jobs. If I remember correctly, he mentioned how it might help in the short-term to layoff some people, but in the long-term it would create more problems. This is something you just don't see with most CEOs out there.
Iwata might not be the brightest CEO out there, but he's far from the most inept.

EvilTw1n

I apologize for the snip, but...

i'm saying losing over 80% of your market value over 6 years is unacceptable.
You're saying that while also saying that quadrupling your market value in a bubble is an abberation. Abberations are unpredictable by their very nature and not something that can be put in a bottle and remade to catch a new bolt of lightning. It doesn't make sense to me for you to argue both of these things simultaneously. You're literally saying: "It's all Iwata's fault for not maintaining that abberation."

I mean, sure, you can argue that. But I don't think it's an entirely reasonable proposition.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
no, asking him to maintain the abberation would be asking him to quadruple again by 2010. I'm asking him to take advantage of the new opportunities afforded by that growth to maintain some higher than previous level of success. in other words, to capitalize. he failed in that regard. he still is. he's basically squandered it all over the last 6 years.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
calling it a bubble isn't quite accurate either. bubbles pop and values crash to normalcy. this was/is a slow drip which indicates poor management. that's why I keep stressing the "over 6 years" bit, if that wasn't clear.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

no, asking him to maintain the abberation would be asking him to quadruple again by 2010. I'm asking him to take advantage of the new opportunities afforded by that growth to maintain some higher than previous level of success. in other words, to capitalize. he failed in that regard. he still is. he's basically squandered it all over the last 6 years.
I think they took that time to work out some internal kinks,but overall I agree

Goodtwin

http://www.eteknix.com/microsoft-investor-wants-to-fire-ballmer-and-sell-xbox-division/

Yea fire Iwata for only making Nintendo a small fortune in his time as CEO while the Xbox division of Microsoft has yet to make a dime. Good call.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

http://www.eteknix.com/microsoft-investor-wants-to-fire-ballmer-and-sell-xbox-division/

Yea fire Iwata for only making Nintendo a small fortune in his time as CEO while the Xbox division of Microsoft has yet to make a dime. Good call.
I also agree with this.

The main reason Im so averse to firing Iwata is because he's literally the best outta the bunch of people they have that could potentially fill that role. I've looked at the company and I dont really trust their leadership or how they've handled their coordination.

He pulled a Yamauchi and he booted all the old people out the company.

Honestly though Im pretty sure if they hired my sister she could fix their shit. That girl is a genius.

Koenig

The Architect
I wish Nintendo would pull in some new talent. The company needs restructuring, but it would come best from someone who has already done something similar.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

That's why they set up their school thingy in Japan^

They're having trouble hiring more people

Like I stated, Nintendo really needs to flesh out their vertical integration strategy and make full use of ti

Their name has the potential to rival Disney in that regard

Selling themselves to Disney would be bad, their are too many differences their

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite

jordan made a shit load of money for the bulls. think it's a winning strategy to keep him on the court these days? iwata had his moment. it's passed now. time to retire the jersey.

or you could watch nintendo drop down to [strike]85% 90%[/strike] 95% of it's former value by staying the course for another 3-4 years. because that's how it's been trending for the last couple dozen quarters and there's no indication that wii u will turn that around. not by following iwata's lead, anyways. not anymore. it'll be a say day when they have to sell metroid to EA haha.

in all seriousness though, i've gotta drop out of this conversation for now at least. feels like i just gave my whole day to it. i like iwata. he seems like a good guy. but he hasn't done very well with the unparalleled opportunities he's created for himself to to turn nintendo into more than what it is right now. there are people out there who could have done much better with the situation iwata found himself in back in 2008. lot's of them, probably. i'll leave it at that.

EvilTw1n

EDIT: Ah, sorry, buddha. Didn't see your last reply before I made this. This stuff is starting to make my head hurt, too. We need to just go play some Ghosts.

How high, then? I mean, you could have a good holiday followed by a good early next year, and have the stock close above 30. Or you could say no, you want it higher. Where's the reasonable mean? It makes sense to decide this before you fire someone, because you'd like to give your next CEO some sort of expectation.

calling it a bubble isn't quite accurate either. bubbles pop and values crash to normalcy. this was/is a slow drip which indicates poor management. that's why I keep stressing the "over 6 years" bit, if that wasn't clear.
No, that's clear. It's just horribly convenient. Nintendo's stock reached its zenith in Oct. 2007 (closing at 78.5). By Dec. 2009, it closed at 29.82 (down 48.68). That's barely two years. Less if you look at the 38.83 close in Nov. 2008. If you consider that one to two year window as a bubble, the baseline changes.

Precisely. If you are looking for preferred stock that pays a fixed dividend, you're kinda gonna want to look at a company that is, y'know profitable and solvent. If you're only chasing high closings, you aren't really playing the stock market. You're gambling.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
Tomorrow we'll see what the bundles do in Japan. Any predictions? My totally random guess is approx. 45,000 (that would be more than double the amount it has sold in Japan in one week all year, so that's probably a bit high).

Goodtwin

I will guess 22k. As we saw with the bundles in the US and Europe, its more about the lasting improvement than the initial spike. Although I am expecting over 500k to be sold on the week of black Friday.

Ex-Actarus

When I see what Iwata said during the investor meeting regarding 3rd party relationship. I'm even more convinced he should go. And this confirms also that Nintendo is the problem, not 3rd party devs.

Here we go :

"Following and imitating others is the kind of reasoning that Nintendo tries to avoid the most, and while we certainly do not have a negative attitude toward strengthening our ties with third-party publishers, employing the same methodology as the other manufacturers would only lead to the most simplistic competitive approaches, such as price wars or money-giving that would never end. We would like to take a unique approach of our own and build sustainable relationships with our third-party publishers."

Source : http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/131031qa/02.html

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I really love what he said to be honest. I goes hand in hand with the article I wrote. If they give in now the industry will bleed them dry. They need strong healty relationships not based on money other than 3rd parties using WiiU to make money for them and there products.

Watch what happens. I think things are about to get very exciting.

Ex-Actarus

I really love what he said to be honest. I goes hand in hand with the article I wrote. If they give in now the industry will bleed them dry. They need strong healty relationships not based on money other than 3rd parties using WiiU to make money for them and there products.

Watch what happens. I think things are about to get very exciting.

If part of the "Unique Approach" is to NOT EVEN promote the 3rd party games on the platform, then there is nothing great about being unique.

This is the same crap Iwata has thrown to us for years !

Having good relationship with 3rd party devs is not just about money...

Shoulder

Nintendo's uniqueness is the hardware and software propositions that the rest of the gaming industry adopts and copies to middling result sooner or later

Dare I say, I think most multiplatform games which are actually on Wii U benefit with even basic Gamepad functions such as maps and inventory, and of course Off-TV play. To some, they are gimmicks, but I consider them good gimmicks. The convience aspect of it is attractive in my mind, although many gamers just don't see it yet. The Wii U is truly a unique little console, and I hope it can regain some momentum in the coming months. First things first though, Nintendo need to advertise the shit out of it before it can become a success, that is if it can become one.

Goodtwin

Apparently the Wii U sold about 38,000 units in Japan last week. Sounds like the new bundles are doing good things across the globe. We might even see a 100k week. Black Friday is going to be huge for Nintendo. The new Mario bundle is obviously going pretty good, and there are still some Zelda bundles out there that will get snagged up for Christmas. Wii U is going to nearly double their userbase in about two months. Now just advertise and you cant lose Nintendo.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk

ont-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">

After the release of new Wii Party U, Wii Fit, & NSMBU bundles, the sales of the Wii U in Japan went up 1394%, or 2,598 to 38,802. This marks the highest weekly Wii U sales Japan has seen all year, the previous record for 2013 being 22,829 seen in the sales week Mar 25 - Mar 31. With WW Wii U sales having stayed steady at about 60K the past couple weeks, this, and a NSMBU/NSLU bundle having been released in Europe and the US, I wouldn't be surprised if Wii U sales reach 100K+ WW this week, which would be yet another first for the Wii U in 2013. Stay tuned!----------------------------------------------------------------Also, I forgot about this (when making the blog post): the holiday sales rush should start taking effect any week now. Perhaps if we're lucky Wii U sales won't go under 100K again for the rest of the year (and hopefully beyond).

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
Eh, bad news. VGC just made a pretty big sales adjustment and removed around 80K sales from the Wii U over the past few weeks. Instead of having the Wii U's sales falling to a steady 60K, it now has Wii U sales keep on falling down to 35K--or right back where we started before the price cut was announced. I hope VGChartz is wrong and will be proven such when NPD data leaks, but I highly doubt it.
Edit: Sorry about the double post.

Goodtwin

Eh, bad news. VGC just made a pretty big sales adjustment and removed around 80K+ sales from the Wii U over the past few weeks. Instead of having the Wii U's sales falling to a steady 60K, it now has Wii U sales keep on falling down to 35K--or right back where we started before the price cut was announced. I hope VGChartz is wrong and will be proven such when NPD data leaks, but I highly doubt it.
Edit: Sorry about the double post.

Son of a bitch. Thats a bummer.

mantisLJD

The Human Metroid
From MyNintendoNews:Japan: Wii U Sales Rocket To 38k With Wii Party U Bundle, Becomes Second Best-Selling ConsoleNovember 6, 2013Nintendo, Wii Ujapan, wii party usilvershadowfly
This week’s Media Create sales are now in, and it’s time to get those party hats on for some serious celebrations as the Wii U rockets up to 38,802 sales. The striking rise in sales – compared to its 2k last week – is due to the release of a special Wii U deluxe, which comes bundled with Wii Party U, New Super Mario Bros. U, a Wii motion plus remote and a 30 day code for Wii Karaoke U. Wii Party U alone shifted over 37,000 sales this week – a tremendous amount given its dismal sales in the UK chart where it dropped out of the top 40 after its second week – and placed in at number six.
In terms of the Wii U’s position in the hardware charts, it becomes the second best-selling console this week, just behind the 3DS XL – now that’s what we call a Nintendo party. You can check out the top 10 software charts, where Pokemon X and Y rule the roost, and the hardware charts below.
[list type=decimal][*][3DS] Pokemon X and Y – 162,347 (2,731,470)[*][PS3] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2013 – 52,826 (136,709)[*][3DS] Danball Senki Wars – 50,217 (New)[*][3DS] Monster Hunter 4 – 46,729 (2,872,106)[*][PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2013 – 38,179 (74,181)[*][Wii U] Wii Party U – 37,371 (New)[*][PSV] Gundam Breaker – 33,775 (New)[*][PS3] Grand Theft Auto V – 32,666 (531,266)[*][PSV] Hyperdimension Neptunia Re; Birth 1 – 31,811 (New)[PS3] Tears to Tiara II: Haou no Matsuei – 24,422 (New)3DS LL – 58,627 (69,001)Wii U – 38,802 (2,598)3DS – 29,749 (40,507)PlayStation Vita – 27,618 (24,513)PlayStation 3 – 11,148 (11,460)PSP – 3,680 (3,807)Wii – 477 (742)Xbox 360 – 328 (351)[/list type=decimal]