Wii U can excel at 'the right price', says Ubisoft CEO

Ubisoft is one third party developer who has treated the Wii U right by bringing and optimizing some of their best games for the system. I would hate to miss them on the platform this generation.

====================================================

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/468710/wii-u-can-excel-at-the-right-price-says-ubisoft-ceo/

Mario Kart 8 has helped to boost sales of Wii U, but Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot still thinks Nintendo's pricing of the hardware will be crucial if it's to increase its user base and justify further investments.

"With Mario Kart, Wii U made one step and we expect with Smash Bros. it will also do more. If Nintendo put the right price on the machine then they will probably have a chance to do further," he said in a recent interview with CVG, somewhat subtly suggesting the need for a price drop.

Ubisoft continues to be one of the Wii U's key third-party supporters, but even it is holding back on further investments - including a new unannounced title - until Nintendo can justify the support with a sufficient install base.

"We are coming with Watch Dogs and Just Dance this year. We also have another game on the shelves that we expect to come at some point when there will be more machines," revealed Guillemot.

"That game is waiting for more machines to be available," he added, in reference to the 'availability' of Wii U owners and, thus, potential customers.

"We are also waiting for them to achieve more sales so that we can invest more. Because the problem we have with next-gen now here, is that we are seeing less games that are on next-gen and last-gen consoles.

"Nintendo has to perform this year, otherwise they will have less games. Justifying investing in the machine needs a larger install base," said Guillemot.

In a statement at E3 earlier this month, Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aime was keen to stress that the Wii U is currently running second in the next-gen console race, ahead of Xbox One in terms of "life-to-date numbers" globally.

"I think it's going to be a three-horse race for the balance of this cycle," predicted Fils-Aime.

Last edited:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/468687/interviews/an-audience-with-ubisoft-ceo-yves-guillemot/

=========================
"So is Ubisoft actively supporting Nintendo right now?"

"We are with the few games we have coming this year, but we are also waiting for them to achieve more sales so that we can invest more. Because the problem we have with next-gen now here, is that we are seeing less games that are on next-gen and last-gen consoles."
=========================

Ubi's mention of there being less games releasing this on all the platforms combined this generation sounds like they were pulling funds generated from other platforms to support Wii U. Sorry, but you just can't hate these guys.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I'm going to have to disagree. I don't think the Wii-U could sell amazingly well at any price point, unless it was like free or something. The thing is, if price was an issue, than the PS4 wouldn't be selling as well as it is and the GameCube would've sold a hell of a lot better

I think Ubisoft just sees a lot of potential for sales if they're able to bring some of their biggest franchises in their full form to a console that is really cheap. I too think that would give Wii U a huge advantage over the competition, but I don't think initiating a price drop now would be a good strategic move.

I'd rather keep up the advertising efforts and keep dishing out quality software and if that strategy works and is able to last for a few months, I'd only initiate a price drop if things start to slow down again.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

I'm going to have to disagree. I don't think the Wii-U could sell amazingly well at any price point, unless it was like free or something. The thing is, if price was an issue, than the PS4 wouldn't be selling as well as it is and the GameCube would've sold a hell of a lot better
The Wii U and the PS4 serve VERY different markets. PS4 is not a family system, its a system for men who like to play popular third party games.

The xbox has more software sales than the PS4 right now.

Pricing has nothing to do with it as the family market is not real

As for the GCN? That only appealed to nintendo fans, not even families. You know why?
The fucking PS2. Nothing could compete in terms of value with that system.
Only smash bros.

Didnt even have the best nintendo software

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
The Wii U and the PS4 serve VERY different markets. PS4 is not a family system, its a system for men who like to play popular third party games.

The xbox has more software sales than the PS4 right now.

Pricing has nothing to do with it as the family market is not real

As for the GCN? That only appealed to nintendo fans, not even families. You know why?
The fucking PS2. Nothing could compete in terms of value with that system.
Only smash bros.

Didnt even have the best nintendo software
Well the Wii-U isn't really much different as it mostly appeals to Nintendo fans, much like N64 and the GameCube

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Well the Wii-U isn't really much different as it mostly appeals to Nintendo fans, much like N64 and the GameCube
The n64 and the gamecube had vastly lower female audiences. As more diverse software comes.
RARE fans were also on the N64. Goldeneye sayin' ello.

If you appreciate gaming you can enjoy a nintendo console, you dont have to be a nintendo "fan"
You just have to like bayonetta 2 and zelda. Or Yoshi and Wii Party U.

People get it twisted by generalizing audiences.

There's a bunch of people with 3DS's you'd actually consider nintendo fans who dont own a Wii U either.

Last edited:

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
The n64 and the gamecube had vastly lower female audiences. As more diverse software comes.
RARE fans were also on the N64. Goldeneye sayin' ello.

If you appreciate gaming you can enjoy a nintendo console, you dont have to be a nintendo "fan"
You just have to like bayonetta 2 and zelda. Or Yoshi and Wii Party U.

People get it twisted by generalizing audiences.

There's a bunch of people with 3DS's you'd actually consider nintendo fans who dont own a Wii U either.
Well of course you don't have to be a Nintendo fan to enjoy Nintendo systems. Plenty of people own a 3DS for non-Nintendo games and some even did that with the GameCube. Hell, I'm not even a Microsoft fan but I'm able to enjoy the 360 at my friends. I'm just saying that most of the appeal of the Wii-U, N64, and the GameCube is for Nintendo fans

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

But again buddy, we're discussing differences between the early adoptions of these devices and long their long term sales curves.

Game library and demographics are imperative to a discussion like this

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I think Nintendo would be smart to initiate a price drop around Holiday 2014. Right in time for Smash. Make it THE item to buy for Christmas. Price drop plus hugely anticipated software.

(But I'm sure people will say that the software itself will sell consoles, which is true)

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
It's all about aligning the right price point and showing value. A price drop in the abstract doesn't mean much. The reason the 3DS went nuts after its price drop is because it also got bombarded with a quality software lineup that added value.

The Wii U just didn't have a software lineup that added the same sort of value until recently. Which leads us neatly into...
I think Nintendo would be smart to initiate a price drop around Holiday 2014. Right in time for Smash. Make it THE item to buy for Christmas. Price drop plus hugely anticipated software.

(But I'm sure people will say that the software itself will sell consoles, which is true)
You run the risk at holiday of decreasing profits with this sort of cut. Videogame systems are hot commodities in the holidays, anyways, so you'd have to really think you're going to bring in even more potential customers than the holidays already provide. It'd probably be better to do what they did last time with Wind Waker - cut before the holidays to spur sales in the lead-in months.

I doubt we'll see it, though. Nintendo wants to get back to profitability. And if MK8 shows any legs for selling systems, they're going to keep it at the present price.

hogge

The problem isn't the price, but the value. The Wii U can't deliver even remotely as good graphics as the competition and there are very few third party titles.

However, instead of decreasing price, I think they need to increase value. Sell nothing but bundles. And make every bundle contain physical copies of Nintendoland, Game & Wario and New Mario Bros free of charge (because they just feel like giveaways and demos, rather than 60€ games). Perhaps they should be like EA with Origin, and give away one free game every month, if you just start up your Wii U that month. It could be a mix of first and second party games, as well as third party games which are doing poorly.
I think that a solution like that would sell a lot more systems than just reducing the price.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
@hogge

I think your solution would hurt Nintendo more than it would help them, considering that that would limit the money they could make from their own software and it probably won't help to drive sales at all

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
The problem isn't the price, but the value. The Wii U can't deliver even remotely as good graphics as the competition and there are very few third party titles.

However, instead of decreasing price, I think they need to increase value. Sell nothing but bundles. And make every bundle contain physical copies of Nintendoland, Game & Wario and New Mario Bros free of charge (because they just feel like giveaways and demos, rather than 60€ games). Perhaps they should be like EA with Origin, and give away one free game every month, if you just start up your Wii U that month. It could be a mix of first and second party games, as well as third party games which are doing poorly.
I think that a solution like that would sell a lot more systems than just reducing the price.
To be fair, Indie games ARE 3rd party, and there are quite a lot of those on the eShop right now, with many more on the way this year and 2015.

Goodtwin

I have a feeling we will see a price drop to $250 by the end of October. Nintendo may try to sell people on bundles for the current $299 price, such as a Smash Bros bundle with a controller pro plus a digital copy of MK8, but the standar deluxe Wii U will drop to $250. Nintendo will be back to profitability this fiscal year. Attachment rates are so high for their games. Mario Kart 8 will likely sell over four million copies by the end of the year, and Smash Bros over 2 million. With games like Bayonetta2 and Hyrule Warriors voth potentially knocking on the million sold mile stone. Not to mention games like Mario 3D World and DKC:TF will likely have good legs. If your a new Wii U owner, that backlog is going to look very appealing.

Shoulder

I have a feeling we will see a price drop to $250 by the end of October. Nintendo may try to sell people on bundles for the current $299 price, such as a Smash Bros bundle with a controller pro plus a digital copy of MK8, but the standar deluxe Wii U will drop to $250. Nintendo will be back to profitability this fiscal year. Attachment rates are so high for their games. Mario Kart 8 will likely sell over four million copies by the end of the year, and Smash Bros over 2 million. With games like Bayonetta2 and Hyrule Warriors voth potentially knocking on the million sold mile stone. Not to mention games like Mario 3D World and DKC:TF will likely have good legs. If your a new Wii U owner, that backlog is going to look very appealing.
I've noticed attachment rates are pretty damn good for some games, and speaking of which I still need to pick up Tropical Freeze, and I need to finish up 3D World, among other Wii U titles.

EvilTw1n

I've noticed attachment rates are pretty damn good for some games, and speaking of which I still need to pick up Tropical Freeze, and I need to finish up 3D World, among other Wii U titles.
Disturbed minds think alike. I just went back and finished that up. More smiles-per-second in that game than most others.

Still working on ACIV, not just to beat it though. I can't put down my games until I finish them 100%. Kind of why it feels like I'll be stuck playing FE:A forever.

... Must... get... money's worth...

But yeah, 100%ing all my games (including the 296 I own on Steam) is on the bucket list.

Ex-Actarus

We've been saying this for ages in the Wii U sales thread.
There is NO QUESTION that the Wii U needs a price drop.
I guess they're waiting the holiday to make it happen.
Again, 250$ incuding a game should be the minimum, but I would prefer a 200$ price, but I don't think it could happen.

Goodtwin

Nintendo will never come out and say they are accepting the fact that the PS4 is going to run away as the sales leader this gen, but the reality is they aren't exactly making a lot of moves to try and be the market leader. Wii U's price is still perceived to be too high and they dont have the mass market games that makes up a good chunk of the gaming industry right now. The people who primarily play COD, Battlefield, and Assassins Creed just arent looking to Nintendo for those games, and right now that dude bro gamer market is the largest gamer market for consoles. I think at this point Nintendo is content to simply get back to profitability, and start thinking about life after the Wii U. Taking big losses trying to build the userbase at this point doesnt seem to be in the cards. The attach rates for their games have been great. Both 3D World and MK8 will likely have sold over 3 million copies by the end of the year, with Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors both potentially being million sellers as well. Assuming Nintendo can do it without taking a loss, I would still expect a price drop to $249 around October. Moving units during the holiday moves plenty of software right along with it.

Shoulder

I also think though a price drop does nothing for your platform if it doesn't have great content to justify it. You simply cannot just give a price drop without providing enough software to back it up. It's basically what Nintendo's been saying lately when comparing the 3DS success. Both a price drop and great software helped drive it out of the gutter and into the throne.

Now having said that, I would say at this point Nintendo does have compelling software for the Wii U, starting with MK8, on top of all the other games which have launched since the system first came out. But if a price drop were to happen, Holiday 2014 is where it would occur if nothing else. But Nintendo cannot just have a price drop for the sake of it, it should make business sense for them. There's no guarantee a price drop will automatically sell more units. Yes, it almost certainly will, but like I said before, it's the software, and between what came out last year and what's coming out this year I think gives plenty of incentive.

If price were the only factor, the GCN would've been the best selling platform of the 6th gen, and the Ouya would be a success story rather than a dud.

Shoulder

Not surprising considering Ubisoft has given Wii U owners the shaft lately, starting with Rayman Legends, followed by the Watch Dogs delay, and then we find out they have games ready to go, but will not launch them until the install base gets bigger.

Here's a news flash for you, Ubi. If you want people to buy your games on a specific platform, then give players INCENTIVE to buy it. That being said, it is also Nintendo's job to advertise the game, but Ubisoft also needs to carry their own weight. If Rayman Legends had not been delayed to begin with, perhaps more of their games would've sold better on the Wii U. In fact, Rayman Legends I think sold the best on Wii U anyway, so it was rather pointless considering other games came out by then, and I'm sure others also lost interest after the delay.

Basically, Ubisoft has only themselves to blame for some of this.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
When you think about it, nintendo did a lot of the marketing for rayman legends, featuring it on their demo kiosks and Wii u trailers prominently. Ubisoft was pretty amazing at turning that free marketing and goodwill into the opposite.

Shoulder

It also doesn't help a lot of AAA publishers have the fuse of fireworks, so it's very short and doesn't last long after the big explosion.

EvilTw1n

When you think about it, nintendo did a lot of the marketing for rayman legends, featuring it on their demo kiosks and Wii u trailers prominently. Ubisoft was pretty amazing at turning that free marketing and goodwill into the opposite.
Y'know, now that I think on it, the first Wii U game I played was the Rayman demo. Had it been in launch window, I probably would've bought it. Ubi will delay a Wii U game so that it launches simultaneously with other systems, but they'll also delay a Wii U game like Watch_Dogs so that it isn't part of a simultaneous release.

I can't blame third parties for the double standard; they make more money on other consoles. But they can't blame any of us for noticing the double standard.

Last edited: