Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
WTF DID I JUST LISTEN TO?!

It's like someone took the quirkiness of Regina Spektor and put it into a female version of Prince. I think I'm in love.

Bet anyone a dollar that's a ZVex fuzz she's relying on there, too. What a tone. Good thing pay day is on Monday, because I'm going to download all of her stuff when I get back home tonight.

"Mike D." wrote:
WTF DID I JUST LISTEN TO?!

It's like someone took the quirkiness of Regina Spektor and put it into a female version of Prince. I think I'm in love.

Bet anyone a dollar that's a ZVex fuzz she's relying on there, too. What a tone. Good thing pay day is on Monday, because I'm going to download all of her stuff when I get back home tonight.
I knew you'd like it! And apparently you're right about ZVex fuzz, according to wikipedia:

"Wikipedia" wrote:
As of late 2011, her pedal board includes the following: Korg PitchBlack, DBA Interstellar Overdriver Supreme, ZVex Mastotron Fuzz, Eventide Pitchfactor, Eventide Space, BOSS PS-5 Super Shifter, Moog EP-2 Expression Pedal. All her pedals are controlled by a MasterMind MIDI Foot Controller.
Reading things like that make me realize I don't know jacks*** about guitars.

admin

Administrator
We're here for you if you need us. Don't worry about the site for now. Just get better. It's all we ask of you!

EvilTw1n

"Alex B." wrote:

I knew you'd like it! And apparently you're right about ZVex fuzz, according to wikipedia:

"Wikipedia' wrote:
As of late 2011, her pedal board includes the following: Korg PitchBlack, DBA Interstellar Overdriver Supreme, ZVex Mastotron Fuzz, Eventide Pitchfactor, Eventide Space, BOSS PS-5 Super Shifter, Moog EP-2 Expression Pedal. All her pedals are controlled by a MasterMind MIDI Foot Controller.
Reading things like that make me realize I don't know jacks*** about guitars.
Nah, that's just a lucky guess. ZVex makes an amazing fuzz box. Lots of fuzz pedals don't really sound alive or dynamic. Her's does. Something else I need to buy for my own recording (although something cheaper...maybe a Danelectro).

Big ups on sharing those links. I'm downloading all three of her albums tonight.

[And yes, she is extraordinarily beautiful. To me, she's kind like Helena Bonham Carter by way of Norah Jones, Julianna Margulies and a young Julia Ormond. It's telling that the first thing that smacks you in the face is the musicianship, though.]
[quote='Derek Jasper"]
Hey, sorry I've been M.I.A. Been at the hospital for a while and will be a while longer. Nothing to big. Some intesetinal blockage or something that I haave to just wait out. But thought y'all should know why I'm inactive for the moment. Cheers.
[/quote][/quote]I'm just glad to hear from you, man.

Get well soon. If there's any amusement we can provide to distract you, all the better.

"Mike D." wrote: [And yes, she is extraordinarily beautiful. To me, she's kind like Helena Bonham Carter by way of Norah Jones, Julianna Margulies and a young Julia Ormond. It's telling that the first thing that smacks you in the face is the musicianship, though.]

EvilTw1n

^
Wow, where'd you find that?

It's amazing to look back at what was cutting edge, not too long ago in human years, but an age (or five) in Moore's law years.

Question for the CT: do you still get as hyped for graphical eye candy as you did in years past? I find that the older I get, the less it matters. But I still do like to see some polished polys.
"Alex B." wrote:
I'm going to steal this and use it over and over again.

Also, listened to St. Vincent's first two albums on my way to and from work today. Fabulous stuff. Her debut ("Marry Me") is a bit more of a dreamy soundscape. Very good, but you have to be in the mood for it. OTOH, her sophomore effort ("Actor") just kicks more ass than a zoo full of burros. More fuzzy guitar. More compression to the drums and bass (turn up your speakers and it really hits you in the chest). You can lose spatial dynamics with too much compression, but she found a good balance. Can't wait to listen to "Strange Mercy" tomorrow.

And, be still all of your hearts, but these two clips?

(I think she might've knocked herself slightly out of tune with that Bigsby on the solo. But it could've been all on the effect pedal, too. Hard to tell.)

A friend of mine had a subscription way back when and he gave me the first ten issues. I've actually been meaning to throw them out, but it's so funny to go back and read through them. I also have the first three issues of EGM and the first issue of Nintendo power, which I think is worth a lot of money.

admin

Administrator
I think all of us here are pretty big fans of Most Underrated/Misunderstood lists and I just found an interesting one. 16 of the Most Underrated Sci-Fi Shows

A few of those sound pretty interesting. I want to check out No Heroics. The description sounds cool:

"Another killer British comedy axed after a single season, despite being one of the funniest shows ever to grace the airwaves. Four loser superheroes, who spend most of their time at the pub. The Hotness: egotistical, annoying, and desperately yearning to be famous. Electroclash: daughter of England’s two greatest heroes, more interested in smoking and drinking than saving anyone. She-Force: superstrong, just wishes she could get a boyfriend, and that people wouldn’t notice her for being a superhero. Timebomb: Spanish, gay, alcoholic, expert in torture, with the ability to see one minute in the future. Semi-retired, in it for the money and casual sex. The four of them are completely and utterly ineffectual, and barely friends most of the time. The show almost got re-made in America, but that fell through too. For any serious comic geek, the entire season was packed with in-jokes and references, galore."

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
"admin" wrote:
I think all of us here are pretty big fans of Most Underrated/Misunderstood lists and I just found an interesting one. 16 of the Most Underrated Sci-Fi Shows

A few of those sound pretty interesting. I want to check out No Heroics. The description sounds cool:

"Another killer British comedy axed after a single season, despite being one of the funniest shows ever to grace the airwaves. Four loser superheroes, who spend most of their time at the pub. The Hotness: egotistical, annoying, and desperately yearning to be famous. Electroclash: daughter of England’s two greatest heroes, more interested in smoking and drinking than saving anyone. She-Force: superstrong, just wishes she could get a boyfriend, and that people wouldn’t notice her for being a superhero. Timebomb: Spanish, gay, alcoholic, expert in torture, with the ability to see one minute in the future. Semi-retired, in it for the money and casual sex. The four of them are completely and utterly ineffectual, and barely friends most of the time. The show almost got re-made in America, but that fell through too. For any serious comic geek, the entire season was packed with in-jokes and references, galore."
I just wish they would make some more Firefly! That was a great show that ended far before it should have.

EvilTw1n

"Alex B." wrote:
Check it Mike
:

I love that she isn't really looking for "pretty" guitar tones. That's an awesome find. Tom Morello can be a little precious for me with his more obtuse tones; sometimes they come off as almost sort of a novelty. But not her's, in my view. I think it ties into how she has all of this technical mastery, but she can channel it in such a primal way. It's all down to bashing on that guitar, and using a lot of garrish-sounding tones as a sort of regular juxtaposition to her vocals.

It also made me check musician's friend for the price of Eventide stomp boxes.

...yeah. I'mma have to stay with my Danelectros.

Some great interviews with her:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/st-vincent,61763/

http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/8661-st-vincent/

Oh, and I got through "Strange Mercy" today. Fan. Tast. Ic. It's probably her most focused set of songs yet. That might turn off people into her first album, which really floated. But not me. [Actor is still my fav, though, I think.]

admin

Administrator
I just set the icon limit higher. It used to be 100 x 100, now it's 200 x 200. We have to make it bigger than IGN's icons.

"AintJack" wrote:
Hi y'all. Why does my browser say not trust this site? Who did you all piss off?
Hey there Jack (wait, it ain't Jack), nice to see you around here. We're going to try and one-up the IGN Boards since the ugly makeover they got, so stick around for good goodiness. Also feel free to start any thread you want, we could sure use some growing discussion here.

"Mike D." wrote: Oh, and I got through "Strange Mercy" today. Fan. Tast. Ic. It's probably her most focused set of songs yet. That might turn off people into her first album, which really floated. But not me. [Actor is still my fav, though, I think.]
I finally listened to the full first and second albums. I agree the first one floats everywhere, and the second one is amazing, but I think I still like Strange Mercy the best.

thought ole wazguls was gonna go all known"red wazguls ". ign noobs get so upset nowadays....yawn. as for sknygy.....he's being a frackin churd....texts me at stupid o'clock and knows im susceptible to nintendo bed wetting....he plays on it! it reminds me of a type of lady that may leave you at the optimum moment but a dang ugly hairy one at that! he knows i need my sleep with another baby coming too! grrr

Menashe

Well, the main thing was the migration of the forum. We completely changed the forum software and have been working on getting it set up. How are things going over there by you?

EvilTw1n

"Derek Jasper" wrote: Hey, guys. I is back. What's I miss?Just us missing you.

"Alex B." wrote: "Mike D." wrote:
Oh, and I got through "Strange Mercy" today. Fan. Tast. Ic. It's probably her most focused set of songs yet. That might turn off people into her first album, which really floated. But not me. ["Actor" is still my fav, though, I think.]
I finally listened to the full first and second albums. I agree the first one floats everywhere, and the second one is amazing, but I think I still like Strange Mercy the best.
I had made a reply to this, but it went poof when the forums crossed over.

Funny thing I noticed: listen to the first album, and think of Tom Petty's video for "Don't Come Around Here No More." It's eerie.

Strange Mercy is growing on me more. At first, I thought it might have been a little too...bare. She makes very dense soundscapes, and on first listen, this one sounds like it hasn't got as much going on as the first two. But then you turn up something like "Champagne Year," and there's all sorts of subtle little things that bubble up. It's pretty amazing.

I finally had to eject her from the car CD player today, though. I have a bad habit of listening to things over and over, and then putting them away for months (or years). Went back to the Pogues. Good times.

Menashe

"Prime" wrote: Random Song Of The Week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFs68mKOasQ

How do you embed youtube videos?
juegos just taught me how (although we're trying to do an overhaul on the whole post editor)

basically press the youtube button in the editor and then in between the put the youtube id for the video. that is the letters that come after watch?v= in the url. So, for your video you would place AFs68mKOasQ in between the brackets and you end up with

DarkDepths

Menashe's instructions are now irrelevant! Instead, click the "Insert Video" button (it looks like a film camera). It will prompt you for details!

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
"Menashe" wrote:
"Prime" wrote:
Random Song Of The Week:

How do you embed youtube videos?
juegos just taught me how (although we're trying to do an overhaul on the whole post editor)

basically press the youtube button in the editor and then in between the put the youtube id for the video. that is the letters that come after watch?v= in the url. So, for your video you would place AFs68mKOasQ in between the brackets and you end up with

Fixed for practice.

The code is now:
[pre]
[/pre]

EvilTw1n

So I almost just bought one of these:

$100, and a good number of useful sounds. I only held off because I'm not finding enough time to record, and the effects aren't quite over-the-top enough for me.

...man, there's never enough time.
I'll sleep on it...but that might be coming back home with me soon...

Finally was able to log back on to the site. I tried what juegos did by clearing my cache and using the password DarkDepths gave me.

Now I'll be able to write my review on Tekken 3D Prime Edition when the time comes.

DarkDepths

OK. So you got logged in. (Huzzah!) I really hope I don't have to reset everyone's passwords in order for them to get in!

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
"Chris007" wrote: Why not make a forum board just for the community/feedback?
That's pretty much what the Off-Topic Plaza is, lol.

If you want to talk about your car, your school, your girlfriend, or your suggestions for the site, this is the place to do so.

This thread in particular is mostly for talk and keeping in touch with each other. It's taking after the Community Threads of several IGN Boards, really.

"juegosmajicos" wrote:
"Chris007" wrote:
Why not make a forum board just for the community/feedback?

If you want to talk about your car, your school, your girlfriend, or your suggestions for the site, this is the place to do so.

This thread in particular is mostly for talk and keeping in touch with each other. It's taking after the Community Threads of several IGN Boards, really.
Oh, alright. Thank you.

Menashe

Also, Chris, I sent you a PM but in case you didn't see it, how large do you want me to set the image restraints at? If you need a bit bigger for the signature I can do that. Obviously nothing enormous, but the limit is not set in stone.

"Menashe" wrote: Also, Chris, I sent you a PM but in case you didn't see it, how large do you want me to set the image restraints at? If you need a bit bigger for the signature I can do that. Obviously nothing enormous, but the limit is not set in stone.
I'll seek to it in a bit.

"juegosmajicos" wrote:
"Chris007" wrote:
Why not make a forum board just for the community/feedback?

Excuse me for double posting, but I don't feel this board is the right place. Because off topic doesn't seen to look like a community thread. Maybe if the name is changed to "Community Plaza", or something of that matter. I'm just suggesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.