Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
^
Man, I put a lot of hours into that game. I pretty much stopped playing it, though, because hackers invaded and started using the Strata and Ivana (I think those are the names of the guns), which are ridiculously OP-ed. It's not a fair fight against those guns. But I really do miss GE nights.

I don't get it, where were you guys when these same complaints applied to the Super Mario Galaxy games?

Yeah, I can't say that I ever found the Galaxy games to be very difficult, either. I love the original Galaxy and think its level design is a master class in platformer design, but it's no more difficult than 3D World, IMO.

And to add even more about this idea: Back when I played Gran Turismo 3 & 4, I could barely get a Bronze, or Silver in the license test, let alone a Gold. Now with Gran Turismo 6, I have all golds. Is it that the game is easier than before, or perhaps my skill as a virtual driver has simply gotten better over the years?

EDIT: The same goes for a game like F-Zero GX. back in 2004 when it first came out, I had a difficult time with the Story mode, especially the one where you raced 30 guys on a highway and had to destroy their ships. I could never complete that at the time. When I got back to F-Zero GX about a year ago, I made it through within a few tries.
I haven't played Gran Turismo since the PS2. Do the newer GT games have driver assists? If so, that's a big part of it. I just played a little more Forza earlier today at GameStop, and I played with and without the assists on. Completely different game. Without the assists, it's a fantastic hardcore sim. With them, the game damn near plays itself (literally, it'll brake for you, and prevent you from accelerating in turns where you'd spin yourself out).

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Real quick I forgot about this. The controls in 3D World were not good IMO. Im a D-Pad guy, and don't tell me I have to play with the stick cause I think sticks suck for platforming. But they did not "nail" the D-Pad controls in this game.
I really don't get this. I thought the controls were almost the same as in 3D Land myself, and I played both of them all the way through the D-pad.

GaemzDood

So I was thinking about this the other day, and I think most gamers these days are a bunch of whiney little assholes who feel entitled to everything.

Take Titanfall as an example, when it was announced a few days ago it would only support up to 6v6 online, you would've thought another Holocaust had happened. Holy shit did the internet explode on that one, especially GAF. And my first thought was, "YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THE DAMN GAME!"
I mean, please tell me I'm totally out of left field on this one? ~X(
but 6v6 iz t0taly n00by init fuggin newbz developer, eye c4n 0nly pruv mah sulf as a g4mer in a 32v32 multi-playa match, u nub.

But you do have a point there, elite pro gamer talk aside haha.
xXEliteprofedoranoscopemaster420Xx.

GaemzDood

My brother got the NES to work (not the Atari though) and found the GameCube I *thought* I sold.

Now here's the problem, I sold all of my GameCube games. That was around $50 worth of games too.

The game in the picture is Ninja Gaiden, he got frustrated like all hell at it (most notably the endlessly spawning tigers and platforming) and is now playing Super Mario Bros..

Get on my Tapatalk sig level bishes.
That long white object in the second picture is a dog chew toy, not a blunt. Don't get too excited.

[hr]

The thirst is real.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I don't know @mattavelle1, you're comparing the green stars in Super Mario Galaxy 2 with the first 8 worlds of Super Mario 3D World, and it just doesn't stand. You have 4 worlds left in 3D World, which is about 30 levels more, maybe less than that. And the difficulty starts ramping up right there, especially with world 11. If you were going to compare the difficulty of the green stars in SMG2, it would really have to be with world 11 in 3D World.
I do remember Sunshine being hard, but back then I felt it was because of the controls for the most part. They were a different kind of floaty, and I remember not liking how it felt. I personally would take great controls with less challenge than high challenge with worse controls, but that's me.
Outside of that, I really didn't find any of that challenge myself in SMG1, SMG2, or SM3D Land. 3D Land did get more difficult toward the last of the special worlds, but it wasn't ever something I felt was challenging me. With SMG2, I will say I remember this level with a lot of rotating platforms, I think the level was themed around clocks or something, and that level made me lose like 10 lives. But outside of that, again I don't remember being challenged anything serious.
The NSMB games have been a little more challenging since the Wii one as well, but also this was only in the special stages, and it was a bummer because the NSMB games have very few extra levels. On the other hand, SM3D World has like 30 special stages waiting for you, and they do get challenging as you come near the end, and again, the last levels are more challenging than any other Mario game ever.
But like I said, Mario games have not been about the challenge for me for a while, so the reason I enjoyed this one so much (even though I did say back when it came out how it wasn't what I wanted, just that it was brilliantly crafted and an example of Nintendo's craftsmanship, and I certainly wouldn't give it the GOTY spot either) was the discovery aspect. And by discovery aspect I didn't just mean the stamps and star coins, I meant all the little secrets that the game allows you to discover for yourself, like the secret blocks, 1-ups, coins, warp pipes, gold pipes, and NES Luigis in hard to reach places. I don't think a Super Mario game had been so filled with secrets and easter eggs since Super Mario Bros 3 on the NES, and to me that was very satisfying. For others that are more into challenge, then this really just isn't the game for it (though I stand that you need to play the special levels before you compare the difficulty with other Mario games' special levels).
I will beat the extra levels. Even with them they can be the best platforming in years and the main game is still gonna be the same for me. Now the little Easter eggs like 1-ups and whatnot I don't care for any of that. If it was something to complete like Green stars / stamps then I would care. Outside of that there just fun and there.
3D World was just to boring for me. Everything was exactly where it was supposed to be without me even thinking about it "wonder where I will go next" risking life or limb to find the next platform.
Tell ya what this would sum up my thoughts perfectly. We know this game wasn't made by Shiggy himself. And this didn't even play bearing on me liking or disliking the game. It seems like this happened tho.
Shiggy: "Class you are the next developers to be running the show here at Nintendo. We will start you off with the basics, our bread and butter"
Class: "Sir what is our bread and butter game here at Nintendo?"
Shiggy: "Platformers. And in this class we are going to show you how to build a flawless, perfectly built Mario game."
Class: "8SCREMAS WITH EXCITEMENT*
And they proceed with 3D World. And it is built so perfect in the world that it is dull. Everything is exactly as it should be, nice and tight, with very little challenge built into the levels because this is how you build a platform game.
Now you maybe saying "but Matt you just said it was perfect WTF? Yes I did. The fun comes when the class is let lose to take the "blueprint" and make there own changes and add to it. They built a basic perfect platforming game. They know what is needed to do this.
Now let me parallel this to my job. When I get a blueprint it tells me exactly what and how to do things to perfection. When the magic of my work happens is this. All the numbers and whatnot on paper may all add up to give you this result..........on paper. In the real world tho, on the job them numbers might not add up and that is when you as an experienced mason have to work you magic to get the same result but in a very different way. Our most fun and unique jobs come out when this happens.
Now going back to Mario 3D. To me this is the blueprint, and it should work to perfection. BUT there is nothing unique or magical about it. Thats all I know how to say it. To me its bland. And maybe its because I have played all of Shiggys blueprints, and its not till his next one when he has to work around things that it gets that unique magic, or one of his students turns it on its head.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Real quick I forgot about this. The controls in 3D World were not good IMO. Im a D-Pad guy, and don't tell me I have to play with the stick cause I think sticks suck for platforming. But they did not "nail" the D-Pad controls in this game.
I really don't get this. I thought the controls were almost the same as in 3D Land myself, and I played both of them all the way through the D-pad.
Go back and play "hot lava run" with the D-Pad using Mario and get all the green stars and stamps and tell me the D-pad isn't off. The D-Pad felt off to me from the bugging and the characters felt like they had gained a deuce-an-a-half while being off. They felt like stones

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
^
And to add even more about this idea: Back when I played Gran Turismo 3 & 4, I could barely get a Bronze, or Silver in the license test, let alone a Gold. Now with Gran Turismo 6, I have all golds. Is it that the game is easier than before, or perhaps my skill as a virtual driver has simply gotten better over the years?

EDIT: The same goes for a game like F-Zero GX. back in 2004 when it first came out, I had a difficult time with the Story mode, especially the one where you raced 30 guys on a highway and had to destroy their ships. I could never complete that at the time. When I got back to F-Zero GX about a year ago, I made it through within a few tries.
I haven't played Gran Turismo since the PS2. Do the newer GT games have driver assists? If so, that's a big part of it. I just played a little more Forza earlier today at GameStop, and I played with and without the assists on. Completely different game. Without the assists, it's a fantastic hardcore sim. With them, the game damn near plays itself (literally, it'll brake for you, and prevent you from accelerating in turns where you'd spin yourself out).

Gran Turismo has had assists I believe since the beginning with the option to turn them off, including ABS options starting in GT5, but interestingly enough, I used to have assists on, so traction control, stability, auto tranny and other stuff was turned on. Now with GT6, the only assist I have on is ABS, but I'm likely to turn that off as well. If anything else, turning the assists off and switching to a manual tranny made me a better driver in those games because you had to pay attention to car control. But yes, assists in games like that do practically drive themselves it seems.

I tried Forza 4 with the Kinect, and it's the definition of it plays itself. All you do is steer, and it's with your hands for goodness sakes. It was horribly bad. You know how we have the air guitar? Well, this was the air steering wheel, but a lot less cool.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Now going back to Mario 3D. To me this is the blueprint, and it should work to perfection. BUT there is nothing unique or magical about it. Thats all I know how to say it. To me its bland. And maybe its because I have played all of Shiggys blueprints, and its not till his next one when he has to work around things that it gets that unique magic, or one of his students turns it on its head.

Sometimes a game just doesn't resonate with you. And sometimes, it doesn't even seem like there's any one thing you can communicate to someone else to explain it. I have yet to find an adequate way to explain why I don't really like Xenoblade (and now that I've started W101, I can tell you guys that I find it so far
to be a thoroughly mediocre game). XB just doesn't do it for me, while Pandora's Tower (a game most other people consider to be the least of the three OpRainfall games) absolutely did.

We can't agree on everything around here. It makes for good discussion, though.

Gran Turismo has had assists I believe since the beginning with the option to turn them off, including ABS options starting in GT5, but interestingly enough, I used to have assists on, so traction control, stability, auto tranny and other stuff was turned on. Now with GT6, the only assist I have on is ABS, but I'm likely to turn that off as well. If anything else, turning the assists off and switching to a manual tranny made me a better driver in those games because you had to pay attention to car control. But yes, assists in games like that do practically drive themselves it seems.

I tried Forza 4 with the Kinect, and it's the definition of it plays itself. All you do is steer, and it's with your hands for goodness sakes. It was horribly bad. You know how we have the air guitar? Well, this was the air steering wheel, but a lot less cool.
I need to go replay some of GT4. I don't ever recall it feeling as easy as the new Forza does with its assists.

(...which is unfortunate, because the XBone controller really does have amazing triggers. You have so much more control over acceleration and braking with them. It's the closest controller I've ever played to equaling a set of foot pedals, and if you play Forza with the assists on, you'll never be able to appreciate just how damn good the controller itself is.)

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
mattavelle1 said:

Sometimes a game just doesn't resonate with you. And sometimes, it doesn't even seem like there's any one thing you can communicate to someone else to explain it. I have yet to find an adequate way to explain why I don't really like Xenoblade (and now that I've started W101, I can tell you guys that I find it so far
to be a thoroughly mediocre game). XB just doesn't do it for me, while Pandora's Tower (a game most other people consider to be the least of the three OpRainfall games) absolutely did.

We can't agree on everything around here. It makes for good discussion, though.

Very true.

Shoulder

I need to go replay some of GT4. I don't ever recall it feeling as easy as the new Forza does with its assists.

(...which is unfortunate, because the XBone controller really does have amazing triggers. You have so much more control over acceleration and braking with them. It's the closest controller I've ever played to equaling a set of foot pedals, and if you play Forza with the assists on, you'll never be able to appreciate just how damn good the controller itself is.)

I still have GT3 and GT4, and my original PS2, so maybe I'll pop both those in and see how they differ from GT6 in terms of feel. I would not be surprised if now GT3 and GT4 will feel about the same as GT6 feels. One thing I remember that GT3 had which GT4 didn't was the qualifying feature, which I think is underrated in motor racing games in general. At the same time though, GT3 did not have the Nurburgring, which I spent countless hours lapping it. I now know the track like the palm of my head, so when I play it on other games, I feel right at home with it.

I beat Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies a while ago and, I have to say, it was amazing! The characters were really weird and unique and kept me entertained. The story and writing were pretty damn good. The cases had me often thinking on how to get the defendant a Not Guilty verdict. This is my first ever Phoenix Wright game and I've already fallen in love with it. I'll probably try out the previous games in the series, if I can get my hands on them

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I can see your point on 3D World being bland Matt, because it's certainly less ambitious and reckless of a game than something like Super Mario Galaxy 1 and Sunshine. The way I see it, though, these games had plenty of weaknesses thanks to this ambition though.
Starting with Sunshine, it's the kind of game that makes you wonder whether even Nintendo knows what they want out of a Mario game. They pushed the exploration aspect of SM64 by making a large city hub and large levels, but at the same time they had those special platforming levels for the classic Mario itch. Except that, because the game was built around Fludd instead of around regular Mario, regular Mario had bad controls, and those levels ended up being kind of mediocre. Back then many of us liked them, but I guarantee that anyone replaying those levels after playing SMGalaxy, SMG2, 3D Land, and 3D World, will have a hard time liking any of those levels these days. So the ambition of that game was nice back then, but when we play it now the game can fall flat in some ways.
Super Mario Galaxy 1 went the other way, refining these controls to make 3D platforming more enjoyable, but it eliminated exploration save for a very few levels, and for the paltry observatory. What resulted was a game with lots of inventiveness, and some nice platforming, but mediocre exploration. The game made up for this with the gravity mechanic, though, and with the overall tightness of the game's elements. Super Mario Galaxy 2, on the other hand, tightened the exploration and inventiveness further, but completely eliminated the exploration aspects, making many people like the first SMG over the second one.
With 3D Land, I was really pleased because I saw Nintendo acknowledging that they were making this Mario into a single thing. They didn't want to bother with exploration, but instead just wanted to transcribe the tightness of 2D platforming into 3D, and they succeeded. But, that game can also be considered bland if we replay it now, because there really isn't much that is new or great to it. All it did was remake SMB3 into 3D, minus the sense of discovery from discovering branching levels, or any sense of exploration from the levels themselves.
With 3D World, the freshness of "classic 2D Mario but in 3D" had was a little worn off, and because I had been playing many types of classic Mario ( the NSMB games, SMG2 to some extent, and 3D Land), I felt like it wasn't the game I wanted it to be. But, I still greatly admire it for being what it is: classic Mario in 3D, refined to the point that the 2D classics were with the sense of discovery of the secrets and easter eggs of Super Mario Bros 3, as well as the super tight controls (you didn't like them, Matt, but I personally thought they were perfect), yet with multiplayer. It's now what I wanted (I would take another Super Mario 64 over any Mario game since), but I admire it for not watering itself down with ambition, resulting in a perfectly crafted.
The thing is, it's not exactly the best game for those of us that have been playing Mario for decades. We have gone through Super Mario World, 64, and Galaxy, so we want more ambition out of our Mario games, whether it's with a gravity mechanic or with more exploration. But the game isn't meant for us. It's a game that is perfectly crafted for a new generation. I am massively envious of the kids of today whose first Mario game is going to be this one. For them, the experience is going to be many times greater than our experience with the first Mario we played was. I had a great time with Super Mario World being my first Mario game, but honestly, what that game was for we who were kids back then is nothing compared to what 3D World is for those who are kids now. The level of craftsmanship is on an entire different level, and that's what I admire in this game.
Again, if it was up to me, I would have take a Super Mario 64 sequel over any Mario game that has come out since. I want the refined 3D Mario experience (not the somewhat watered down one that was Sunshine, with the fludd mechanic), but that's me. I can totally respect today's kids getting the refined 2D Mario experience instead.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
While we're in the mood not to kill people who be hatin' on Mario games, I have a confession to make...
I thought the Galaxy games were merely good.

<):)
I agree! I liked them a lot when they came out, but I could never shake the feeling that they were no SM64.
Then again, I'm the guy that really liked Castlevania 64 and Legacy of Darkness.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
We will let it die there Jueg.

I like the more reckless Mario's. You appreciate that they stayed with something in 3D World and didn't waver or apologize for that.

Cool with me. Can we ever move past this tho? :p

Just finished the first Gamera film. Surprisingly sophisticated for a giant flying turtle movie...than they shoot him to Mars. Oh well.
Might watch the first Jurassic Park movie tonight.
And hola out to @mattavelle1 who finally convince me to buy the Wonderful 101. May not be tomorrow purchase, but some day. If it's not the greatest game ever made than I will upload a video of me destroying the disc.

Shoulder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RabtH22aozo
Such a good theme for such a good and hilarious movie. Makes me want to rep out some Kata. m/
Oh, and in case none of you got he hint, please go and watch it if you haven't already. It's on Netflix streaming if you're interested. :)>-

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I will now start AC4 thank goodness. That will be my next endeavor into a single player game.

Also CoV if you don't like it don't destroy it. It's so WONDEFUL it can't be destroyed, it will destroy you instead. 8-X

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
TNE online guys (like the Ghost squad). What are y'all doing tonight?

I wanna play online, but then again I wanna do single player. I'm conflicted so what are y'all doing?

Well I'm about to hit the hay so no Tekken for me. I think you'll end up Ghosting it up Matt lol.
Also @juegosmajicos, what you're saying is.......that Sunshine was so watered down that it was as if it were.......FLUDDED?

Shoulder

TNE online guys (like the Ghost squad). What are y'all doing tonight?

I wanna play online, but then again I wanna do single player. I'm conflicted so what are y'all doing?

I'd be willing to play some rounds of Ghost tonight. Yes, I am playing some single player games also, but some quality killing noobs time would be nice since we didn't really do that yesterday, except for aliens.

Shoulder

Well I'm about to hit the hay so no Tekken for me. I think you'll end up Ghosting it up Matt lol.
Also @juegosmajicos, what you're saying is.......that Sunshine was so watered down that it was as if it were.......FLUDDED?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9rD4Paq0zE

Shoulder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d54Ok6Uz_A
Ok, I was seriously laughing so hard at this. It's too bad CBS cancelled it since it was actually a good show, and Horatio was boss. He rivaled Grissom on the original CSI.

Menashe

I don't know if they're getting better at writing/making movies, or if I'm falling into some key demographic with age, but hollywood is pumping out some fantastic shit. Django Unchained, The Wolf of Wall Street and American Hustle are three of the finest movies i've EVER seen, and they've all released within the last year (or so). god damn.
For me it's just impressive that with all the Hollywood fascination with technical production values, which obviously are leagues ahead of what was possible in the 20th century, they still have managed to create modern classics that bespeak of directors with impeccable artistry.
I thought Django Unchained was brilliant but to me it doesn't hold a candle to American Hustle. That's definitely the best movie of the year IMO and a modern classic. I have yet to watch The Wolf of Wall Street. Probably some time this week when I can find three hours.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
I don't know if they're getting better at writing/making movies, or if I'm falling into some key demographic with age, but hollywood is pumping out some fantastic shit. Django Unchained, The Wolf of Wall Street and American Hustle are three of the finest movies i've EVER seen, and they've all released within the last year (or so). god damn.
For me it's just impressive that with all the Hollywood fascination with technical production values, which obviously are leagues ahead of what was possible in the 20th century, they still have managed to create modern classics that bespeak of directors with impeccable artistry.
I thought Django Unchained was brilliant but to me it doesn't hold a candle to American Hustle. That's definitely the best movie of the year IMO and a modern classic. I have yet to watch The Wolf of Wall Street. Probably some time this week when I can find three hours.
the wolf is my movie of the year. as for django, tarantino is my favorite director, and i automatically love anything he does. pulp fiction is my GOAT.

Ok guys...
I want to know your opinions on this:
I bought my original Wii on launch day back in 2006... and I played the hell out of it and it lasted me until October 2011. That's when the console wouldn't even spin the disc.
That same year, I bought my second Wii... and I took really good care of it, I didn't use it as much as the other one. Last year, I bought The Last Story... and played A LOT of it. It's also a double layered disc.
One day, I was going to play the game and... well it made those clicking sounds but wouldn't get past the start screen. Then I put another disc and it did the same as well as the error message. I tried playing Gamecube games and it worked! But as time passed, it would become more difficult to play Gamecube games.
I thought that the lens was only dirty and bought the cleaning kit but it didn't do anything. I mean, the console still works since occasionally it plays Gamecube games (no Wii games) so what's the problem then?
:-?

Goodtwin

Needs a new disk drive. You can buy a replacement drive online for about twenty five dollars, or send it in to Nintendo. If you explain your situation they may even do it for free.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
played a solid 5 hours of xenoblade today. loving it. i haven't quite caught up to my first play through yet though. i'm glad i decided to give this one another try. i don't think i was in the right frame of mind for this kind of game the first time around.
MGSR has been sitting on my hdd and in the back of my mind for days though so i gotta check that out haha

played a solid 5 hours of xenoblade today. loving it. i haven't quite caught up to my first play through yet though. i'm glad i decided to give this one another try. i don't think i was in the right frame of mind for this kind of game the first time around.
MGSR has been sitting on my hdd and in the back of my mind for days though so i gotta check that out haha
Nice to see someone else converted to the Monolith Soft religion

Oh thanks guys, is just that I miss playing Gamecube games :-((
What annoys me is that my launch console lasted me for almost 5 years and the new one that I really took good care of it only 2 [-(
Oh well, thanks guys!

GaemzDood

But what about the Monolith Productions religion? They brought us Condemned: Criminal Origins, Condemned 2: Bloodshot, F.E.A.R.: First Encounter Assault Recon, F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin, The Operative: No One Lives Forever, No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way, Shogo: Moble Armor Division, Blood, Blood 2: The Chosen, Alien versus Predator 2, Tron 2.0, & Sanity: Aiken's Artifact.

Get on my Tapatalk sig level bishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.