Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people hate her because they hate Other M. I detest that game and I still like the design.
Others because they just dont like the zero suit in general, as it is seen as an over-sexualization of the character.
I dont mind that as much but it often goes down this weird route where the phrases "Nintendo has no respect for Samus" or "I respect Samus too much to see her like this" are spoken. Just some odd things to say about a fictional videogame character.
Nintendo needs to court a mature audience.

Nintendo needs to stop sexualizing their attractive female characters.

I want my cake and want to eat it too.

Yup.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
dont do it... it is a dying ecosystem... hell, microsoft bought nokia.. and nokia is making an android phone ... so even microsoft is making android phones now... there is no future in windows mobile..
http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/24/nokia-announces-the-x-its-first-android-phone/

buying a windows phone now is like buying betamax right before people forgot what betamax was
I've kept tabs on that, but apparently Win8.1 on phones is damn good (very quick, very efficient, which is how they get away with Lumia phones having good battery life with lower specs), and I don't expect that to die out immediately.

But a modular phone would be really interesting in its own right.
But being a badass warrior is very one dimensional though. Know that she's more human because of what happened with Ridley and the Baby makes me appreciate her more. The issue was the way how the situation was presented in the game. The actual principle of what went on was fine. It was the how Sakamoto wrote everything and the voice actor having a bit of a monotone voice as Samus.
I didn't mind the monotone; she was supposed to sound detached. But Sakamoto-san was probably too firm in not allowing more freedom to the localization team; no one would bat an eye at the game if it were a subbed anime, but for a major western game release, the calculus changes.

And speaking of Sakamoto...
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/459245/i-want-to-challenge-myself-says-metroid-series-director/

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I got the Boyfriend caught up on "Game of Thrones" season 3 last night, so we went ahead and watched the first two episodes of Season 4. All I can say is "wow"! I won't post any spoilers or allude to anything, but if you are a GoT fan and you aren't up to date yet, get there and get there now.

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
Game of Thrones. I have all three seasons and I haven't seen a thing of it yet.
I-I think I'll actually get that peach Wii remote plus. I don't get why a Bowser version hasn't come out yet. It's obviously the superior one.

MANGANian

Nintendo needs to court a mature audience.

Nintendo needs to stop sexualizing their attractive female characters.

I want my cake and want to eat it too.

Yup.
I thought it was just Nintendo allowing Team Ninja some creative freedom with her design. I don't really know what the fuss was all about besides the plot of Other M. But what I'm really puzzled at is the backlash of the Zero Samus reveal in the new Smash Bros. The "rocket heel" thing simply looked like a design choice to me. And if it wasn't for someone actually pointing out that it looks like a heel I wouldn't have noticed. It seemed to me that they simply didn't want to put actual boots on her, and Rocket shoes doesn't sound as cool as Jet Boots, so they went with an appealing look. Although the colour is a turn-off for some.

Also her boobs hasn't grown either, her suit just looks shinier. I personally think the sex talk is overblown.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
I got the Boyfriend caught up on "Game of Thrones" season 3 last night, so we went ahead and watched the first two episodes of Season 4. All I can say is "wow"! I won't post any spoilers or allude to anything, but if you are a GoT fan and you aren't up to date yet, get there and get there now.
i usually wait for the season to end, then i download the whole thing and watch it over the course of 5-10 days. i really hate waiting a week inbetween episodes. the suspense kills me.

Question: If I tip a gal 2 dollars on a 1.50 coffee, is that too much?

I had to go there for work, she was nice, cute, and gave me an extension in my pants. But I get the feeling when she saw the tip she was like "fuck this dumbass cracker"

B T dubs I'm still single. Thank god my beard is stellar

edit: I'm back for reals

sjmartin79

@Majorbuddah - completely understand. I hate waiting. Suspense is awful.

But the other side of me is that I HATE spoilers. There are certain shows I have to watch during the season for fear some A$$hole on the internet will spoil big moments for me. (GoT, Scandal, Walking Dead are some examples I have to watch week to week.)

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
@Majorbuddah - completely understand. I hate waiting. Suspense is awful.

But the other side of me is that I HATE spoilers. There are certain shows I have to watch during the season for fear some A$$hole on the internet will spoil big moments for me. (GoT, Scandal, Walking Dead are some examples I have to watch week to week.)
I'd like to talk a few minutes about spoilers.

I simply don't get why some people want to be spoiled, whether it be video games, movies, TV shows, or a book even. Just as an example, The Sopranos. The ending was the most talked about thing on the News and TV everywhere, you could almost NOT hear about it. I've only watched two episodes of The Sopranos, but when I finally do watch it, I'll always know how it ended, and that somewhat kills it for me. That being said, I'll likely still enjoy it, but knowing exactly how it ended makes me go *sigh*.

Currently, I'm watching Breaking Bad, and luckily I have not seen any spoilers from it, so perhaps people are more careful about crap like that now. I'm just about to start the third season, so I have a ways to go, but I don't want to know what happens throughout the season. I would much rather explore that for myself. It becomes a personal journey for me and one to understand myself rather than someone always telling me how something ends up.

Interestingly enough, I have watched movies over the last few years that have been out for years and heard almost nothing about them. I won't even mention them because then I'll be eluding to the fact they have spoilers in the first place, and when I first saw these movies I didn't even suspect there was such a big plot twist. Those are the kinds of movies I want to watch and be totally engrossed by.

This business of spoilers gets worse in TV shows at times because during the preview for next week, they'll have the narrator say something along the lines of, "And a twist you won't seeing coming," or " and someone won't make it out alive." WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU TELL US THERE'S A PLOT TWIST GOING TO HAPPEN? Seriously, I don't get that. If people who are interested in the series, they're going to watch it. Now some people might just say, "Well, don't watch the previews." The issue is they show them when the previous episode is done, and then at random times throughout the week leading up to the episode. That being said, it is possible to just mute the TV and walk away and then come back, but it's still a dick move by the networks to do crap like that.

sjmartin79

^I agree. I mean, I know why they do it. It's a big episode, and they want the viewers to tune in, and it's been proven that if you tempt people with things like "The biggest OMG moment of the series", people will watch. But for those of us that don't like to be spoiled, you're already prepped that something is coming.

One of the shows I watch regularly had a HUGE episode last season. (Have no clue if previews alluded to anything or not.) When the moment came, I was completely shocked. Sat there with my mouth open for 5 minutes. Unable to speak or really process what had just happened. Had to rewind to watch it again. That's the type of thing I love. A moment you have no idea is coming and takes you by such surprise that it takes on a life of its own.

A few years ago, I was bad about reading spoilers for tv shows because of my problem with suspense and delayed gratification, but I quickly learned that knowing those things ruined the special moments for me. The Boyfriend and I got into an argument last fall because we were watching the same show but not in the same location. Also, he was watching live and I was 10 minutes behind. Suddenly I get a text from him that says "OMG! There are no words." Well, up to that point, I had no idea a shocking moment was coming, and when I did get to that point, it wasn't as meaningful for me because I knew to expect something. He has since learned that giving me any spoilers would be hazardous to his health.

He's hates spoilers in games, but doesn't mind spoilers for tv or movies. We have an understand now that if he has knowledge of any spoilers, he is not to speak them out loud. I don't like spoilers in tv, books, movies, or video games. I want to experience it for myself.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
So I no sooner hit a busy patch with work that has kept me away lately, than the CT blooms into interesting discussion and lively debate. And I sit here on a Wednesday afternoon, with work still piled neck high, sifting through the CT, trying to catch up with what's been written, enthusiastic to wade into the fray (that is now days past) - and yet completely drowned in other responsibilities. Boooooo. Boo. To. This.

I hope you know we're all having this conversation again sometime soon. And you're all going to participate again. And you're going to enjoy it dammit.

Cyan

2DS' hulu app runs pretty good. Much better then expected. I managed to watch a ep of Ghost in the Shell: 2nd gig with it only dropping back to the beginning once right after the opening.

Lulz guise.

Went to da pub yesterday like I said before, was very good. My alcohol tolerance is terrible though right now lol. Me and my friends are going to what's probably the biggest rock festival in August over here, Reading. I need to do some serious training to prepare for that! My liver isn't ready.

What's new with you guys?

Tucker

“Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”
TIme to annoy @Tucker

I've distilled the Essence of Metroid Other M in my time playing it

Other M was the experience of Samus being traumatized by her past.

Basically its a game that's essentially a flash back.

It puts Samus in the soldier experience she was in before, the one she left before. Everything in the game reminds her of her past, and she has to fight out of it. That's why the game's most complained about scene is her having a mental breakdown about Ridley and the Baby Metroid.

Its like the scene where her parents were killed. She'd also killed ridley before. So its basically a fucking ghost back to haunt her.

Other M's main problem is all game related aspects. Its a good base hampered by bad decisions and gameplay segments like FIND THE PIXEL.

The problem is Metroid's plot here is not written or communicated well because the american version has a terrible voice actor and its basically an Evangelion Neon Genesis styled acceptance plot of over coming your fears, from an anime.

Sakamoto succeeded in making the Metroid fanbase feel as traumatized as Samus was.

Now we must gather all 7 dragon balls and bring Sakamoto, Igarashi and Ganbarion to make METROID:BURN MY FUSION DREAD WIIU!!
I think you're thinking of the wrong dude, dude.

MANGANian

Had to share this with you guys. Something very cool and strange with the sun today in Sarasota. Huge rainbow all around it. Seeing something that beautiful kinda makes the whole day better.
View attachment 204
I remember everyone was all up in arms where I live about this during 2012. A lot of people thought the world was ending. lol, what a day that was. I think I have been called the antichrist twice that day.

Last edited:

Shoulder

Anyone else besides me find it odd that the Alerts section will tell you that such and such posted in this thread, and sometimes it'll say there might be more posts after this? Well, what the hell does that mean? Either there are other posts, or there aren't. What's the fucking mystery?

There MAY be more posts after this, but...you didn't pay your cable bill this month, and I don't feel it necessary to tell you all the secrets around here. Life's a lottery. Be lucky!

o_O

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Zenforo acknowledges the transitory nature of people's posts.

Actually, that's the notification you get when you're watching a thread. Certain threads get automatically watched by default I believe, so you need to go to the settings and change that, and then go to the watched threads list somewhere, and unwatch the threads if you don't want to get notifications from them anymore.

Shoulder

Zenforo acknowledges the transitory nature of people's posts.

Actually, that's the notification you get when you're watching a thread. Certain threads get automatically watched by default I believe, so you need to go to the settings and change that, and then go to the watched threads list somewhere, and unwatch the threads if you don't want to get notifications from them anymore.
Au contraire! I love my watched threads, but I hadn't realized this is what Xenforo does when you watch different threads. Thanks for destroying my thunder on that one. :p

Shoulder

So I received a package with two boxes Scottish Blend tea bags, and as my Mom was putting them into a container, she mentioned she didn't want to stuff them. And then she said, "I want the tea bags to breathe." I had to bite my lip from laughter.

So guys, I need to sorta write for the site. I wanna talk about Kirby, but I don't know what to talk about.

Like for Pikmin 3, I talked about how Pikmin 2 blew balls. For DK, I talked about how people need to shut up about Retro. The only thing I can think of for Kirby is how the series is underrated.

Maybe I'll write about how Kirby is underrated.

Thanks guys. You're da best.

Well tonight my W/L record in Tekken Tag 2 is something like 2/645333900. Or, so it feels like. Oh well I won the last match I did.

I need more Kirby in my life, I haven't actually played that many Kirby games. I can only think of 3 off the top of my head: Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland in GBA, Kirby Air Ride and Squeak Squad/Mouse Attack. Fun stuff too those ones. I'll probably get the Wii game one day, Super Star Ultra on DS, Amazing Mirror on GBA VC........soo much karby, sooo rittre teim, prease undurstrand. I'm not racist.

Well tonight my W/L record in Tekken Tag 2 is something like 2/645333900. Or, so it feels like. Oh well I won the last match I did.

I need more Kirby in my life, I haven't actually played that many Kirby games. I can only think of 3 off the top of my head: Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland in GBA, Kirby Air Ride and Squeak Squad/Mouse Attack. Fun stuff too those ones. I'll probably get the Wii game one day, Super Star Ultra on DS, Amazing Mirror on GBA VC........soo much karby, sooo rittre teim, prease undurstrand. I'm not racist.
Return to Dreamland is my favorite. But if you can find the 20th Anniversary collection for Wii, get it.

So many memories

EthanGK

The blunder from down under
Wow it's been too long since I've played a Kirby game. What's a good recent Kirby game that has the standard classic Kirby mechanics (rather than being one of the bizarre spin-offs that Nintendo are so fond of :p )

Status
Not open for further replies.