Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
If this thread doesn't start with Pendrana Drifts from Metroid Prime I will lock delete for epic fail!
And if that thread doesn't also have the song: K.I. Feeling from Killer Instinct, I will go and...ummm, reach down and grab my balls and yell out, "Ta Da!"

Wait, I don't think I have this down right....

For some reason, this has been stuck in my head for a while. Curse you Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney and your great soundtrack! Curse you!

I want to start a thread for awesome videogame music, including covers and remixes, but I know that it will take me a long time to make the OP so I'm biding my time.
It'll need to have some music from Xenoblade Chronicles, Fire Emblem Awakening, F-Zero, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, and god knows how many other games

Last edited:

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Just so you guys know @CitizenOfVerona done such an amazing job with the last mega forum article he will be doing these from now on just so you guys know and here's the format.

Starting June 1st he will start a new thread for you guys to answer just like the last one. Your replys will be compiled for 2 weeks to give y'all plenty of time to form your thoughts.

The next 2 weeks will all be for CoV to compile and format like the article. So once a month you guys will have a mega article for the TNE Forums exclusive article.

If you have ideas again use the White Board thread for ideas cause the other 3 weeks of the month it will be our writers writing articles for us outta here and some outta there own head.

Shoulder

Aw, sweet! The first five Rocky movies are on Netflix streaming! Looks like I have some catching up to do since I've yet to really watch the first three beginning to end.

Shoulder

MS making some good moves today.
Dropping the Kinect, not asking for Gold membership to watch things like Netflix or HBO Go, and implementing a PS+ like service with their Gold membership.
And about damn time too. I applaud Microsoft for that.

Now that this is happening, I'm pondering the idea if Nintendo should at all sell the Wii U without a Gamepad (or at least have a SKU without a Gamepad)? But there's a problem with this idea already: some games require use of the Gamepad (ZombiU, Lego City: Undercover, and Nintendoland spring to mind), so by eliminating the Gamepad, it segregates the Wii U's market between Gamepad users and Pro controller users. Now, having said all this, it's entirely possible for the developers to patch their games to allow use of the pro controller, but there's no guarantee of that.

And there's the notion that the entire OS would have to be patched to allow Pro controller use on top of the Gamepad. It certainly wouldn't be impossible at this point, but would it be worth it?

I'm going to take a controversial gaming opinion right now and say that the Wii U CAN work without the Gamepad. But that being said, I want to make this very clear, you miss out a lot of the experience and convenience without the Gamepad.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
Dropping the Kinect, not asking for Gold membership to watch things like Netflix or HBO Go, and implementing a PS+ like service with their Gold membership.
The damage has already been done to the broader gaming culture. This is a claw back to only the most obviously vulnerable aspect of their paywall scheme. The egregious practice of locking online modes behind that paywall will persist, online modes people already paid for with the price of the game. The fact remains that with Sony's adoption of mandatory PS+ thanks to the lesson it learned from Microsoft's "innovative" pioneering of added fees for phantom services, the console mainstream is now for people to have to fork over hundreds of dollars in subscription fees over the course of the life of a console should they want to access all the modes in the games they bought.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Hah! We were just talking about MS getting the price down yesterday.
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/forums/threads/wii-u-sales-thread.362/page-36

Interesting that they didn't wait until E3 to announce it.
Not a fan of them dropping the Kinect. I thought it had potential, now it will never be realized.

Also I wonder why they did it, this is the fastest price drop since the GameCube and the X1 didn't really need it.
Oh, it needed it. The sales curve for the One that you showed yesterday is comparatively flat compared to the PS4, and MS isn't looking to play for second place.

What is interesting is that after Kinect gave the 360 such a late-life sales tail, it isn't turning out to be the piece of killer hardware they thought it would be on One. People aren't busting down the doors to pay $100 more for Kinect.
I'm going to take a controversial gaming opinion right now and say that the Wii U CAN work without the Gamepad. But that being said, I want to make this very clear, you miss out a lot of the experience and convenience without the Gamepad.
It's feasible. They would have to edit eShop functionality, but let's be honest: there are precious few games thus far that have made integral use of the GamePad. But I'm not sure it makes much sense. Yes, Nintendo could hit a lower price point, but that doesn't address the Wii U's central problem - why should more people buy it? Take away the GamePad, and you have a more PS4/One-ish experience, but without all of the third-party support, and that's still a pretty big damn problem.

But if Nintendo isn't going to show off why the GamePad is awesome...
The egregious practice of locking online modes behind that paywall will persist, online modes people already paid for with the price of the game.
Yep, this.

At some point, I imagine Nintendo will do this, too. And at that point, I'm pretty much gonna be an offline-only gamer.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
Hah! We were just talking about MS getting the price down yesterday.
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/forums/threads/wii-u-sales-thread.362/page-36

Interesting that they didn't wait until E3 to announce it.

Oh, it needed it. The sales curve for the One that you showed yesterday is comparatively flat compared to the PS4, and MS isn't looking to play for second place.

What is interesting is that after Kinect gave the 360 such a late-life sales tail, it isn't turning out to be the piece of killer hardware they thought it would be on One. People aren't busting down the doors to pay $100 more for Kinect.

It's feasible. They would have to edit eShop functionality, but let's be honest: there are precious few games thus far that have made integral use of the GamePad. But I'm not sure it makes much sense. Yes, Nintendo could hit a lower price point, but that doesn't address the Wii U's central problem - why should more people buy it? Take away the GamePad, and you have a more PS4/One-ish experience, but without all of the third-party support, and that's still a pretty big damn problem.

But if Nintendo isn't going to show off why the GamePad is awesome...

Yep, this.

At some point, I imagine Nintendo will do this, too. And at that point, I'm pretty much gonna be an offline-only gamer.
PC is always an option.

As for Nintendo, I think it's a real concern. It's possible they haven't emphasized the angle that they now have the only console with free online access for the game modes you bought (kind of a big deal) simply due to the all around deer in headlights act we've seen from them over the past two years outside of Japan, but perhaps it's because they don't want to make a point of principle out of something they may wish to do themselves not too far down the road.

Hopefully handhelds buck the trend. I can see myself leaning more that way anyhow in the very near future. Between the 3DS, the Vita and the GCW Zero, handheld gaming has never been more attractive. It's not like someone with my tastes would have been having a hard go of it with a laptop and 3DS or Vita the past couple years.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
That just made the Xbox One worthless, in my opinion. If I was ever going to have any reason to get an XBone, it would have been the great Kinect experiences that they should have delivered. The same goes for Nintendo, of course, with the caveat that Nintendo has a wealth of excellent first-party franchises that make the purchase of the system justified for many of us. But unless the XBone can get great exclusives that provide the same kind of value to Microsoft that Zelda, Mario, and Metroid provide to Nintendo (yet at a $400 price point), I don't see how they have anything to offer.

If we see Sony announce an exclusive Souls game for PS4, and then The Last Guardian gets announced as an amazing game that is actually going to come out, then I'm pretty much bound by fate to eventually get that system. I doubt Microsoft could compete with that.

On a related note, I would absolutely hate it if Nintendo started selling the Wii U without a gamepad. That would basically turn their console into a Nintendo 360, but with Nintendo exclusives and subpar online features. That's not gonna do anything for anyone, except for those of us buying the system just for the next Zelda and Metroid, and that's just because we'll buy any system that has those games on it. Nintendo needs to do what Microsoft just decided they couldn't do: to show the value of the gamepad and simultaneously push gaming forward so that it becomes an essential and appealing part of the product, not just an expensive secondary feature.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
PC is always an option.

As for Nintendo, I think it's a real concern. It's possible they haven't emphasized the angle that they now have the only console with free online access for the game modes you bought (kind of a big deal) simply due to the all around deer in headlights act we've seen from them over the past two years outside of Japan, but perhaps it's because they don't want to make a point of principle out of something they may wish to do themselves not too far down the road.

Hopefully handhelds buck the trend. I can see myself leaning more that way anyhow in the very near future. Between the 3DS, the Vita and the GCW Zero, handheld gaming has never been more attractive. It's not like someone with my tastes would have been having a hard go of it with a laptop and 3DS or Vita the past couple years.
If home consoles price me out, I'll definitely switch to a PC or Steam box. I don't have much brand loyalty. I was a PlayStation-only gamer until the PS3 priced me out. If Nintendo ever gets to the point of making a home console that isn't cost-effective for me, I'll see what else is out there (granted, the first place I'll look is a Nintendo handheld, since I haven't had one for years now).
On a related note, I would absolutely hate it if Nintendo started selling the Wii U without a gamepad. That would basically turn their console into a Nintendo 360, but with Nintendo exclusives and subpar online features. That's not gonna do anything for anyone, except for those of us buying the system just for the next Zelda and Metroid, and that's just because we'll buy any system that has those games on it. Nintendo needs to do what Microsoft just decided they couldn't do: to show the value of the gamepad and simultaneously push gaming forward so that it becomes an essential and appealing part of the product, not just an expensive secondary feature.
I would, too. There's a reason that Nintendo so heavily featured the Wii remote and the GamePad with their respective console's reveals - they make the consoles interesting.

But Nintendo hasn't shown off an integral GamePad game yet, and this is getting to be a big problem for them. You could argue that they did this last time, too, and didn't show off an integral Wii remote game until Skyward Sword. They can't keep putting out a clever piece of hardware and then not bother to exploit it for years on end.

Make it essential, Nintendo. Show people why they need it.

...basically, show Zelda.

Not a fan of them dropping the Kinect. I thought it had potential, now it will never be realized.

Also I wonder why they did it, this is the fastest price drop since the GameCube and the X1 didn't really need it.
Ps4 was basically clobbering it worldwide in sold to actual people instead of the shipped to store numbers microsoft was saying. They saw the gap widening too quick and needed something to quickly stop that, no mandatory kinect which a lot of people didn't want and apps that are usually free on most other things but this were the two most common negatives I heard that prevented people wanting to touch the system.

Damn, that's nice. I may have to choose between the PS4 and XB1. I've always preferred Microsoft's controllers to Sony's so this may be the first Microsoft system I get but they'll need some top tier exclusives, like inFAMOUS: Second Son and, hopefully, The Last Guardian first

As for Ninty possibly removing the GamePad later down the road...well I'd hate it if they just ditched it. I've always wanted a 3DS/DS-like second screen but on home consoles and the Wii-U finally offers that. Even if the 3DS/DS's second screen may not always be used in a way that require it, it's almost always convenient and useful. I loved using it in games like Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies, Fire Emblem: Awakening, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Besides, without it, the Wii-U offers nothing different or unique in comparison to it's competitors, aside from the best 1st/2nd party games but that's not nearly enough to convince people to get it, especially with Wii/N64-levels of 3rd party support. It doesn't help that the system has a bed rep from both the poor marketing and from the Wii

Last edited:

Shoulder

I should point out from my post that I certainly don't want Nintendo to start selling the Wii U without the Gamepad because I absolutely love it. That being said, it can be done. Now can and will are two entirely different things though. I certainly can take a shit in the woods, but will I? Probably not.

Shoulder

Oh, and on an unrelated note, I just received word that I'll be starting my new LTE job at this engineering firm on Thursday for training, and then Friday my first full day. This position is supposed to last between now and approximately Labor Day, with the potential of a permanent full-time position with them afterwards. Needless to say, I am seriously excited, everyone. :mgrin:

Wow, half a year in they've already made Kinect 2.0 optional. Smart move if they really see no future for Kinect on Xbox One, but suck for the people who bought the whole 'we're 100% committed to Kinect' spiel.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I should point out from my post that I certainly don't want Nintendo to start selling the Wii U without the Gamepad because I absolutely love it. That being said, it can be done. Now can and will are two entirely different things though. I certainly can take a shit in the woods, but will I? Probably not.
The real question is not can or will, but have. Why haven't you taken a shit in the woods?

Status
Not open for further replies.