Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jacesonnall Can you do an article about the ( Like a fully comprehensive one) about Nintendo's Q&A ?
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140508qa/index.html

@juegosmajicos @LightsaberBlues I wanted to have a discussion about this

Regarding the profitability of any video game business, there is no basic demand for games, so it greatly depends on changes in the business environment. Just as it was difficult to forecast the performance of Nintendo DS or Wii before their respective launches, which both proved to greatly exceed our expectations, at other times, our products do not meet our expectations, as is the case with Wii U. This is inevitable in the entertainment business. Currently, Nintendo has both the home console and handheld platforms, and we would see great results if both of these platforms performed very well; however, our business would become mediocre if one of them faltered, and if both of them were to falter, it would very negatively affect our business. We have decided to establish new business platforms not for being pessimistic about the future of the video game business, but to prepare for a challenging situation. Without other pillars, the faltering of the video gaming business would directly have a negative influence on our financial results and the market would respond with harsh criticism. Considering the situation, I would say that Nintendo should consider establishing other pillars that leverage its strengths. As I said earlier today, people, including ourselves, have considered Nintendo to be a video game company for the last 30 years. However, I believe that the intrinsic nature of entertainment is much broader than how we see it today. We believe that we may be able to establish some sort of new core business if we consider our role as an entertainment company in a broader sense. Again, we are not pessimistic about the future of the video game business, nor have we given up on earning profit from the existing video game business. Rather, it is an expression of our determination to become a more stable company, constantly achieving better financial results regardless of the fluctuations in our video game business.
To answer your question, I think I should explain what we have been doing about our internal organization in response to our core management policy. For one thing, as previously announced, we have integrated our hardware development divisions and established the "Integrated Research & Development Division." Until this change took place, we used to develop our handheld video game devices and home video game consoles in separate divisions. Of course, we did not simply merge two divisions into one. We know that we need to change how we manage this new division as well as how we create and manage new projects, and we are currently making progress on this. Also, the new R&D Development Center was built earlier this year, and our developers will move to their new offices in mid-June, after E3. After settling in, the developers who are now working at different buildings will be able to work together in the same building. As a result, our development of hardware and software can be done in a more unified fashion with individual developers being able to communicate directly with others more closely, and the different R&D teams that are currently working in separate rooms can work as one team in the same room. Of course, even now, our hardware development teams and software development teams work closely with each other, but because they belong to different departments under our current organizational structure, they are not necessarily able to visit others' rooms freely. In the Development Center, we will create a space where developers from the four different R&D divisions can get together with others. This is another concrete example of what we are doing in order to establish an environment where unique and fun hardware-software integrated entertainment can be developed more smoothly.

In addition to these changes to the R&D divisions, in March we established a new department called the "Business Development Department." Since the company released Family Computer System (Nintendo Entertainment System) in Japan and put it on the right track for sales growth, Nintendo has not needed to implement significant changes to its principle business structure. In other words, in comparison to many other companies, Nintendo used to have a smaller need for business development because, by maintaining a similar business structure, it was able to conduct its business and grow rather steadily. However, because the environment has greatly changed and Nintendo must create a new business structure and execute a variety of new endeavors that I have been addressing recently, we have established this new department that reports directly to me. We have gathered experts from a variety of different fields for this department. By working with others in the R&D divisions, these members have already been acting as contacts for a variety of different business partners, and have been making proposals and planting the seeds for discussion. The Business Development Department will play an important role in our company producing tangible outcomes for the topics we have been discussing recently: the active use of our character IP, future approach for the new markets, future of the new business fields, how we are going to change the definition of our future platforms and how we will take advantage of smart devices. These are the concrete examples that I can mention today to respond to your question.

@Jacesonnall Can you do an article about the ( Like a fully comprehensive one) about Nintendo's Q&A ?

And the final piece

I think that many utility products in the world have been designed and produced with the purpose of improving people's QOL. Nintendo has added "in enjoyable ways" to the definition of entertainment. By defining entertainment as activities that "improve people's QOL in enjoyable ways," we are trying to expand the definition of entertainment as much as possible. Nintendo has a history of approximately 125 years, but when it comes to video games, the company has been engaged in that business for 31 years since the Japanese launch of the Family Computer System (Nintendo Entertainment System). In other words, Nintendo has been known as a video game company only for one-quarter of our history, but people around the world, even including many at Nintendo, tend to believe that Nintendo is a video game company and even think that Nintendo should not or must not do anything other than making video games. This, I believe shows that over the past 30 years or so, the video game business has been running smoothly. However, whether we have a narrow or broad definition of video games can make a huge difference. I suppose people caught a glimpse of the potential with "Brain Age" and "nintendogs" for Nintendo DS, and "Wii Sports" and "Wii Fit" for Wii, which Nintendo developed by expanding the definition of video games and these titles were eventually well-received by many people around the world. In video games, players interact with a computer and receive output as the result of their input. If players realize that they will be able to receive greater rewards in the form of computer output than the amount of effort they put in, they will be tempted to repeat that process. Because that process makes players feel comfortable, there is a great sense of excitement and achievement. I think that this is the kind of know-how you need to make video games, but it can be applied to much wider fields than you might imagine today. When I said that health is going to be a theme of our QOL initiative, I referred to it as an example of one of these fields. More specifically, talking in general about health, many people are well aware of what we should do for their health, but at the same time, many people find it difficult to commit themselves to it. So, the questions I posed back then were, "What do you think will happen if we can apply our know-how on keeping consumers engaged and entertained on a continual basis, and make it fun to complete such endeavors?" Back to your original question, "not defining our business fields narrowly" is key for us.

Not to change the subject, but many years ago, people used to connect with video games only when they were sitting in front of a TV set. Other than that, people did not have any relationship with video games back in those days. Then, handheld video game systems were introduced, and people started to carry around their video game experiences outside the home. And today, many people carry around smart devices and use them in their free time. We have been studying how we can best incorporate our video games into the time that people use their smart devices. I introduced our "Mario Kart TV" as an example during my presentation today. Although this is just the beginning of our initial approach with that concept, players of "Mario Kart 8" can spend a portion of the time they interact with their smart devices to connect with the Mario Kart game. In the future, it is possible we will decide that certain elements of our video games should be enjoyed when players use their smart devices. In other words, we will try to ensure that there is more than one device, more than one location or more than one environment where users can access our products and make sure those users can interact with our products in various environments. I also mentioned in January (at the Corporate Management Policy Briefing) that we would change the definition of our platforms from being device-based to NNID-account-based. When our platforms are account-based, we can expand the number of applicable devices. In order to have rich and high-quality game experiences, we always want our users to play with our dedicated game systems that are specifically designed to provide such unique experiences, while at the same time, we may be able to select some portions of these games and make them available on other devices. Also, by encouraging users to interact with the physical figurines that I mentioned today, we may be able to create brand-new entertainment. In these ways, another critical point for us to carefully consider, or another key point for us, is how we can and should incorporate our entertainment offerings into the more fragmented time and opportunities of different consumers.

I want to hear your thoughts.

You too @Majorbuddah

HumbleBundle has been getting their butt whooped by BundleStars of late imo. That's a decent bundle but they've bundled all those games before in past bundles recently, and I own all of those already. That's my issue with Hundle Bundle right now, they recycle the same bundles way too often.

HB and BStars kind of have their own unique traits though. HB is good a securing big AAA games while bundle stars is good a securing a variety of large quantities of quality small/medium budget games. HB also donates to charity so that's always good.

But yeah, look at this sh*t: http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/turbo-bundle

All the games are highly rated

Last edited:

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite

You too @Majorbuddah
i think nintendo is realizing that they can't stand shoulder to shoulder with sony/ms in the home console market (realizing that wii was a fluke), so they're wisely dipping their fingers into new and different honey pots. i'm interested to see what they come up with. they know that the american health industry is set to explode right now, so it's a smart move to push in that direction. as iwata said, nintendo can do whatever the fuck it wants - it doesn't have to be limited to traditional gaming. i'm even MORE interested to see what they can do in the education industry. jueg had a great thread/article where we talked about it briefly. i think nintendo could make an absolute killing by making educational software that runs on pc/ios. kids dig nintendo, and by law they are all going to school.

so in short i think the QOL initiative is a good way for nintendo to make itself more expansive and profitable, even if the concept isn't fully (as far as we know) fleshed out yet. so let's see what they do.

So Watch Dogs is 30 fps on PS4 and Xbone, running at 900p and 792p respectively.

Where's the next gen guise? I was promised next gen stuff. Anything less than 1080p 60 FPS is not worth my time.
Oh yeah, people lost their minds over that. Me? I just want the game to run smooth and be good. Resolution and especially FPS are important and all but they shouldn't be the determining factor between a purchase or a skip

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Didn't Nintendo have educational games in the past, like Mario Teaches Typing or something?
Not sure about the distant past, but Brain Age goes without saying, and that was 2005.

Nintendo even has a section of their website dedicated to "edutainment."
http://www.nintendo.com/games/gameGuide?genre=edutainment

QOL isn't just Nintendo doing a loopy experiment; this is ground they've been working toward for years now (which is also why I don't necessarily share a ton of optimism on the novelty of gamification or quality-of-life gamebreakers coming from Nintendo...this is supplementary stuff, or as Iwata mentioned, supporting pillars).
So Watch Dogs is 30 fps on PS4 and Xbone, running at 900p and 792p respectively.

Where's the next gen guise? I was promised next gen stuff. Anything less than 1080p 60 FPS is not worth my time.
Linky.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-13-confirmed-watch-dogs-ps4-900p-xbox-one-792p-both-30fps

Ah, the GAF-icatiton of "next gen." I would visit there for the meltdowns, but I don't need the pick-me-up to feel better about myself.

Yet.

[I have no idea why anyone who has paid attention to videogames for any appreciable amount of time expected developers to shoot for 60 fps across the board. Ever since gaming went to 3D worlds, there's been an ongoing "stability vs. eye candy" balance. Eye candy usually wins. But it's not like 30 fps is bad; it depends on the game. A twitch shooter may require the fluidity of 60 fps, but a more methodical game does not. Also, this makes me wonder if the Wii U version of WD will hit 720p, or a 360-y 600p.]

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I'm glad you posted this, I'd forgotten to check back for it after reading the presentation slides.

The impression I keep getting is that Nintendo is making themselves into a stronger company than they've ever been before. It used to be that their profits and survivability came from single titles or concepts. Iwata mentions Pokemon as an example of a game that created huge growth for the Game Boy, but of course there's also Tetris originally, as well as Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros, all the way up to Wii Sports. Nintendo has always been a company that relies on capturing lightning in a bottle, and they really are the best at it, but it also means they constantly face droughts and harsh criticism in spite of having an amazing record. In other words, with Nintendo, when it's been good, it's been great, and when it's been bad, it's been terrible.

But now, they are pretty much pushing the concept of "diversification" to a ridiculous point. They are using their knowledge as a game company to make many other aspects of life fun and engaging and of course to make money from it; they are opening an avenue of character licenses in such a way that it will be intertwined with their actual software and hardware business, not just by expanding brand awareness but by actually being an element of play; they are stepping up their management game so they can learn to manage and consolidate what they used to think of as two separate businesses, the handheld and console divisions; they are then stepping their business game up, by moving from managing the key decisions about how to make games and hardware, into making decisions about how to make business, in other words, a business R&D group that operates at a higher level than the hardware and software R&D groups. It shows that Nintendo is first and foremost thinking about how to become a gigantic wordly beast, and they're not in the slightest concerned with whether they're surviving in the short term. They're taking their short-term survivability for granted, relatively to the amount of effort they're putting into their mid-term and long-term growth.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
HumbleBundle has been getting their butt whooped by BundleStars of late imo. That's a decent bundle but they've bundled all those games before in past bundles recently, and I own all of those already. That's my issue with Hundle Bundle right now, they recycle the same bundles way too often.

HB and BStars kind of have their own unique traits though. HB is good a securing big AAA games while bundle stars is good a securing a variety of large quantities of quality small/medium budget games. HB also donates to charity so that's always good.

But yeah, look at this sh*t: http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/turbo-bundle

All the games are highly rated
but all of those games are iterations of the same game essentially.. it would be like getting a madden bundle that included madden 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014

who cares.. they are all iterative...

on the humble bundle side this is the first of 14 daily bundles.... and recycled bundles means you can get another shot at one you missed before...

I think the conquest bundle is more interesting (though I'm not interested)... the most exciting thing O saw on bundle stars is the price for deadly premonition... but I don't really want that anyways

I'm glad you posted this, I'd forgotten to check back for it after reading the presentation slides.

The impression I keep getting is that Nintendo is making themselves into a stronger company than they've ever been before. It used to be that their profits and survivability came from single titles or concepts. Iwata mentions Pokemon as an example of a game that created huge growth for the Game Boy, but of course there's also Tetris originally, as well as Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros, all the way up to Wii Sports. Nintendo has always been a company that relies on capturing lightning in a bottle, and they really are the best at it, but it also means they constantly face droughts and harsh criticism in spite of having an amazing record. In other words, with Nintendo, when it's been good, it's been great, and when it's been bad, it's been terrible.

But now, they are pretty much pushing the concept of "diversification" to a ridiculous point. They are using their knowledge as a game company to make many other aspects of life fun and engaging and of course to make money from it; they are opening an avenue of character licenses in such a way that it will be intertwined with their actual software and hardware business, not just by expanding brand awareness but by actually being an element of play; they are stepping up their management game so they can learn to manage and consolidate what they used to think of as two separate businesses, the handheld and console divisions; they are then stepping their business game up, by moving from managing the key decisions about how to make games and hardware, into making decisions about how to make business, in other words, a business R&D group that operates at a higher level than the hardware and software R&D groups. It shows that Nintendo is first and foremost thinking about how to become a gigantic wordly beast, and they're not in the slightest concerned with whether they're surviving in the short term. They're taking their short-term survivability for granted, relatively to the amount of effort they're putting into their mid-term and long-term growth.
Mhm, Im interested in seeing how their software platform around the NNID's grow.
Anticipating all those lovely dedicated user discounts :>

In the meanwhile I need them to give me more Wii U content that I can really sink my teeth in to. WiiU's control options are great for shooters,rpgs,fighters, horror,strategy and adventure games.. I want them all XD

Also I NEED The Last Story 2. ( EVOLVE THAT Battle system!!)

Also I woudlnt mind another Zangeki No Reginleive or Pandora's Tower

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Mhm, Im interested in seeing how their software platform around the NNID's grow.
Anticipating all those lovely dedicated user discounts :>

In the meanwhile I need them to give me more Wii U content that I can really sink my teeth in to. WiiU's control options are great for shooters,rpgs,fighters, horror,strategy and adventure games.. I want them all XD

Also I NEED The Last Story 2. ( EVOLVE THAT Battle system!!)

Also I woudlnt mind another Zangeki No Reginleive or Pandora's Tower
too bad all we get are 2d platformers... ughhh

wii u is like perfect for rpgs.. in multiple ways... for example.. when I have to grind I could switch to off-tv mode, but then switch back to the TV when exploring new areas or advancing the story.... having a menu on a second screen is also great and could de clutter battle scenes... being able to have a larger map always there is cool too... especially if they let you place markers which you could then see floating in the sky on the TV....

and in so many more ways too... from touchscreen mini games (for example you could craft items in the game rouge galaxy but it was a pain with a controller... on a touch screen it would have been awesome) to de cluttered navigation to off TV play for grinding...

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
They truly are twins now.
Sony and Microsoft are Arnold and Danny confirmed:

The real question is not can or will, but have. Why haven't you taken a shit in the woods?
Never came up, and even if it did I take my shit (pun intended) seriously. When it comes to taking your poops, it's location, location, location. I absolutely hate public toilets, and even worse taking a shit in the woods while taking a squat.

And the final piece

You too @Majorbuddah
That's it, I'm done. Nintendo knows what they're doing, and I'm not going to fault them for it.

One of the things I've been saying is Nintendo is trying to think of things in the long-term, rather than making that quick buck and moving on in a couple years. I understand as a business, it's all about the profits, but the thing I wonder from time to time is the notion of long-term profits vs. short-term profits. I get the impression a lot of companies rely on short-term profits to stay in business, but rarely do they seem to think of things in the long-term. But maybe I'm being short-sided here and Nintendo's situation isn't so rare as I thought.

Regardless though, after reading all that on what Nintendo was saying, I think E3 is going to be something special this year, even without the Press conference.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Damn, everyone this has been a rush today. First, I get official confirmation for my new LTE job, and now just two hours ago found out that I, and two of my friends are approved for an apartment, which means the three of us now got to set something up to talk about the lease, possibly next week. Oh, and I'm supposed to move in June, so just in time for my birthday on the 6th. D-Day is going to be megaton this year, folks, and this is BEFORE E3.
It's happening, folks. It's happening. :mthumb:

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
So I finally broke down today and bought some Sriracha sauce. Tried some on cold pizza. And...

...I don't really get it. I mean, it's garlicky hot sauce. It's not bad, but it's not like it's the second orgasm of Christ or something. This is what the national craze has been over?

Last edited:

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
I played some more Ass Attack (yes that's what I'm calling it from now on), and it's growing on me. So much to love here, levels are great, list of achievements, extra mini games like pinball. Sickeningly cute.

So I'm gonna write that Kirby is under-appreciated article.

So I got a question for some of you: Why don't you play Kirby?

I want some points to counter in my article.
The Kirby games I played in my youth I enjoyed very much.... I never really kept up with Kirby after Kirby 64 though.... I honestly couldn't say why, except that maybe over time I lost interest in the characters and the world....

Perhaps I just grew out of the franchise in terms of how cute a game I'm willing to play is....

I think he's awesome in Smash too because of his ability to inhale and gain powers from other characters....

That gameplay hook was always solid in Kirby everything....

That is where I think Kirby still shines....

Just like Mario and his Super Mushroom and Link with his Hearts, Kirby's gameplay hook is just as memorable and awesome as it was in the original GameBoy version....

But as classic as I believe the gameplay hook in Kirby still is, I can't get interested in the context of the gameplay enough to warrent playing through it anymore....

Last edited:
I'm finding it increasingly hard to read your tits

I mean boobs

I mean posts.

Titties

editL what's her name?....my friend wants to know.
I honestly have no idea. I just found the GIF one day, thought it was perfect, and just decided to use it

Not sure about the distant past, but Brain Age goes without saying, and that was 2005.

Nintendo even has a section of their website dedicated to "edutainment."
http://www.nintendo.com/games/gameGuide?genre=edutainment

QOL isn't just Nintendo doing a loopy experiment; this is ground they've been working toward for years now (which is also why I don't necessarily share a ton of optimism on the novelty of gamification or quality-of-life gamebreakers coming from Nintendo...this is supplementary stuff, or as Iwata mentioned, supporting pillars).
I think it's even earlier than that. I mean, they've been doing it since the late 80's with games like I Am A Teacher: Super Mario Sweater. The reason why I'm not super excited for this or anything is because, in all honesty, I don't think the stuff that'll come from Nintendo's QoL will particularly interest me. It'll sure do something for Nintendo and it could be interesting but that's about it for me

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
@Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

It sounds like they are on the cusp of unveiling the most significant strategic reorientation of their company since they dedicated themselves to videogames.

So I finally broke down today and bought some Sriracha sauce. Tried some on cold pizza. And...

...I don't really get it. I mean, it's garlicky hot sauce. It's not bad, but it's not like it's the second orgasm of Christ or something. This is what the national craze has been over?
This is now defined as a craze? Let me guess, this involves a tipping point of white people and the food network. I mean, it's the rooster sauce that's been in 90% of Chinese dim sum and Vietnamese pho joints since at least the 1980's, it's not exactly anything new under the sun. Ms Mech's prediction on hearing this: banana ketchup is next.

It's probably best used as it has been: a cheap dipping sauce for pork buns or to add some extra kick to your pho broth. Although I do recall an old highschool friend who used to swear by putting it on kraft dinner (which prompted me to inquire whether he was pregnant). Is it being mixed with mayonnaise and/or used on Asian fusion tacos or something?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Is it being mixed with mayonnaise and/or used on Asian fusion tacos or something?
Man, you're full of great ideas. There's this food truck in Austin called Chi'lantro where they serve Mexican-Korean fusion food. The tacos already have coriander, red sauce, and kimchi, but I gotta try them with Sriracha on top. Not that the tacos need it, they're already incredible.

http://www.foodtrucktalk.com/chilantro-austin-tx

Status
Not open for further replies.