Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the first X-Men, don't remember it being that good. A bit dated in the effects department in some instances, but the cast is essentially perfect.

Gonna take a short break and watched X2 in a bit

Oh yes, gonna rewatch Godzilla tomorrow. I've spent the last three years of my life excited as hell, I'm gonna love this fucking movie

http://www.twitch.tv/lightsaberblues/b/530333576#

I don't know why I'm plugging LSB's Stream, though I feel as if it's allowed since the Nintendo WFC will be shut down tomorrow......For our final goodbye, we didn't have much lag! Good matches to end off with in Brawl. Some of us tried to play Goldeneye earlier but that didn't really work out.

All I know is I can't wait till Sm4sh to continue my arse kicking.

Goodnight TNE!

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I don't want them "doing their jobs". I don't even want them having jobs.
I don't want them doing the job of global manipulator, murderer (directly and be default) or torturer, either. That would eliminate many past and present "job" duties, certainly. But I wouldn't want to live in a highly-developed industrial nation that had no espionage agency at all (such a country would be nothing but a mark). Not with the bloody historical hands of humanity. I don't trust us and often wish we'd evolved from gentler creatures.
...though I feel as if it's allowed since the Nintendo WFC will be shut down tomorrow.....
Damnit! I forgot about that. I had meant to get some people around (I know @Goodtwin was down) for a final night of GoldenEye.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
http://www.twitch.tv/lightsaberblues/b/530333576#

I don't know why I'm plugging LSB's Stream, though I feel as if it's allowed since the Nintendo WFC will be shut down tomorrow......For our final goodbye, we didn't have much lag! Good matches to end off with in Brawl. Some of us tried to play Goldeneye earlier but that didn't really work out.

All I know is I can't wait till Sm4sh to continue my arse kicking.

Goodnight TNE!
I just wanted to capture our last few games online for history's sake.... Even if it was just with my crappy webcam.... I just thought someone should capture that.... As it will be impossible to ever do it again....

GaemzDood

A white heteronormative cisgendered CEO professor and Baptist preacher was teaching a class on Karl Rove, known Christian.

“Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship Jesus Christ and accept that you too can become straight through daily prayer, self-flagellation, and eating Chik-Fil-A every day!”

At this moment, a brave, trans-Asian, self-diagnosed pansexual demiromantic vegan multisouled person who had been free of all animal products and only bought products at the local transgender co-op boldly stood up, holding a glass filled with some white liquid.

“Hey, Professor, what is this?”

The arrogant professor smirked like a rapist and smugly replied “It’s clearly milk, you crazy ------. What the fuck does milk have to do with political science?”

“Wrong. It’s an all natural vegan soy almond kombucha latte. No animals or transpeople were harmed or raped in the making of this product.”

The professor was visibly shaken, and dropped his chalk and copy of the Wall Street Journal. He stormed out of the room, clearly planning some kind of rape. The professor realized that he had been playing into the hands of the kyriarchy of CEOs, investment bankers, the Religious Right, and psychiatrists. He then killed himself. The proper term for this is “trans-dead”.

The students checked their privilege, all diagnosed themselves with autism and gender identity disorder and joined the Gay-Straight Alliance. An obese trans-eagle furry otherkin waddled into the room and tried to perch upon the American Flag, bending the flagpole in the process. All parties involved gave up meat, Christianity, and the right to bear arms.

The students all lifted their glasses of soy fluid in a toast.

“That beverage’s name? Harvey “The One Percent” Milk.” said the vegan trans-autistic Korean.

(ed. by Jueg, language)

Last edited by a moderator:
A white heteronormative cisgendered CEO professor and Baptist preacher was teaching a class on Karl Rove, known Christian.

“Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship Jesus Christ and accept that you too can become straight through daily prayer, self-flagellation, and eating Chik-Fil-A every day!”

At this moment, a brave, trans-Asian, self-diagnosed pansexual demiromantic vegan multisouled person who had been free of all animal products and only bought products at the local transgender co-op boldly stood up, holding a glass filled with some white liquid.

“Hey, Professor, what is this?”

The arrogant professor smirked like a rapist and smugly replied “It’s clearly milk, you crazy Goomba. What the fuck does milk have to do with political science?”

“Wrong. It’s an all natural vegan soy almond kombucha latte. No animals or transpeople were harmed or raped in the making of this product.”

The professor was visibly shaken, and dropped his chalk and copy of the Wall Street Journal. He stormed out of the room, clearly planning some kind of rape. The professor realized that he had been playing into the hands of the kyriarchy of CEOs, investment bankers, the Religious Right, and psychiatrists. He then killed himself. The proper term for this is “trans-dead”.

The students checked their privilege, all diagnosed themselves with autism and gender identity disorder and joined the Gay-Straight Alliance. An obese trans-eagle furry otherkin waddled into the room and tried to perch upon the American Flag, bending the flagpole in the process. All parties involved gave up meat, Christianity, and the right to bear arms.

The students all lifted their glasses of soy fluid in a toast.

“That beverage’s name? Harvey “The One Percent” Milk.” said the vegan trans-autistic Korean.
something new gets added to this pasta every time I read it, thanks to the ever-evolving tumblr train.

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
Didn't go so far as to confirm the source, but I'm trusting Rich on this one, and I'll also take the liberty of saying that I was right on my assumption that the PS4, Xbone and Wii U wouldn't run anything more than what was eventually shown of Watch Dogs. It probably has less to do with draw distance and more to due to the insane amount of programming code required to have the game function properly.

I guess X would be the first test of something of this caliber while keeping with the graphical quality, even though it may not be on the scale of GTA/Watch Dogs ADHD gameplay. It goes to show you how much art design goes a long way, not that Watch Dogs needed to be stylised.

I think Watch Dogs will be a lot of fun for everyone who enjoys open world games, no matter how it looks. The gameplay seems rather fresh and as long as it runs smoothly it shouldn't really matter if it 1080p, 720p 0r even 600p. The difference isn't huge between resolutions anyway.

It's definitely not going to be a "next-gen show-off" type of game, but I personally never expected it to be either.

EthanGK

The blunder from down under
Just watched Godzilla with my girlfriend and my brother and despite my brother falling asleep and snoring we enjoyed the movie a lot. Will stay away from spoilers but I will say that even though Godzilla wasn't remotely scary (bordering on adorable in its harmlessness), the film still offered some freaky-ass shit.
Nothing really profound, stirring or thought-provoking, just some good old-fashioned city-destroying, monster-hunting mayhem. If you're the kind of person who will think too hard about the things happening then I don't expect you'll enjoy it though. It's Godzilla.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Didn't go so far as to confirm the source, but I'm trusting Rich on this one, and I'll also take the liberty of saying that I was right on my assumption that the PS4, Xbone and Wii U wouldn't run anything more than what was eventually shown of Watch Dogs. It probably has less to do with draw distance and more to due to the insane amount of programming code required to have the game function properly.

I guess X would be the first test of something of this caliber while keeping with the graphical quality, even though it may not be on the scale of GTA/Watch Dogs ADHD gameplay. It goes to show you how much art design goes a long way, not that Watch Dogs needed to be stylised.

BINGO!

I don't think many people understand how many resources A.I. (and Physics) can take, especially with a game as open-world as Watch Dogs. Remember that all 8th gen platforms are utilizing lesser CPUs in favor of bigger GPUs, and then using their General processing abilities to off-load stuff (in theory). That being said, the CPU-like capabilities of the systems are nowhere near as much as a Core i5/i7, or an AMD FX processor. And even with the beefier GPUs, there's still the big huge world of Chicago to deal with, and not to mention all the "stuff" happening at any given time. Ubi Soft I think has to compromise on the graphics on the consoles in order to make the game feel and play the same on all platforms.

If I recall correctly, it was said that Aiden has over 1000 different animations, so that's probably a bit of code to deal with, because the game has to process which exact animation to use at any given time. Not to mention the NPCs of the world, and how they interact in the world they're in. It appears to me Watch Dogs is going to be a more breathing and living world compared to games like GTAIV/V, and that is partially why Ubi Soft had to make compromises.

My guess is there's just so much going on in the game that the 8th gen platforms simply cannot process everything that a PC could. And like Rich said, it's still a cross-gen game, so perhaps because Ubi Soft wants the experience to be fully realized on the PS3 and 360, every other version had to be reduced in order to keep the gameplay the same. I honestly don't know though.

In all though, I couldn't care less. I'm still interested in Watch Dogs, and I may even pick up the PS3 version until the Wii U version comes out.

EvilTw1n

^
Nintendo must've been pretty impressed with Team Ninja to put them on a Zelda spinoff right after working on a Metroid game.
I don't think many people understand how many resources A.I. (and Physics) can take, especially with a game as open-world as Watch Dogs. Remember that all 8th gen platforms are utilizing lesser CPUs in favor of bigger GPUs, and then using their General processing abilities to off-load stuff (in theory). That being said, the CPU-like capabilities of the systems are nowhere near as much as a Core i5/i7, or an AMD FX processor. And even with the beefier GPUs, there's still the big huge world of Chicago to deal with, and not to mention all the "stuff" happening at any given time. Ubi Soft I think has to compromise on the graphics on the consoles in order to make the game feel and play the same on all platforms.
It used to be a given that people saw open-world sandboxes and knew such a game would have to make some graphical compromises. But this is all kinda funny, looking back at devs bitching over the Wii U's "slow CPU" (some said this gen would be an easier transition, what with consoles getting a more PC-ish architecture, but devs who spent years working on PS3/360 games are going through a learning curve right now).

Last edited:
http://nintendoeverything.com/a-few-hyrule-warriors-details/

Dynasty Warriors games are pretty good. They're tactical games where you focus on controlling the flow of battle with flashy attacks. Battle strategy is pertinent here and they tend to change up alot. However there's not a lot of variation between characters combat in the game( as there are 100's of them per game) and enemies act like mobs. Each level does have different patterns that require some thought to beating everything and clearing it all.

You fight alot of foot soldiers, play it on hard difficulties and it can get pretty challenging.

They're basically Guerilla Warfare:Tactics Games with Trillions of Mooks to mow down.

They could go the Monster Hunter route with it though and focus on the AI though.

EvilTw1n

^I've never played any of the Dynasty Warriors games, but I'm one of the Zelda diehards that Nintendo is hoping will pick up Hyrule Warriors... because I totally will.
Same here. The moment I saw the game, I knew I'd have to play this.
They're basically Guerilla Warfare:Tactics Games with Trillions of Mooks to mow down.

They could go the Monster Hunter route with it though and focus on the AI though.
Ah, if only. Since it doesn't look like the Wii U will be getting MH4, there's a pretty good number of us who would be down for that. But it wouldn't be a Warriors game if you weren't mowing down a laughably huge amount of enemies. Hopefully there's a good balance with some more intelligent bosses.

Also kinda interesting that Skyward Sword had its own moment before the final Ghirahim fight with Link facing overwhelming odds. I wonder how long Nintendo had this idea in mind?

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
You'd want to be careful with how you improved AI in Warriors games. As @Mike D. said, you want enemies clustering and swarming, not spacing themselves rationally, if you don't accept that central conceit of the game, it loses its cathartic charm that comes from cutting through 2 dozen opponents in an utterly one-sided exchange of force.

I think a more fruitful area to develop would be the nascent tactical elements of the battlefield action, also fusing the overall game with a strategy framework so that you're basically playing a hybrid of Shogun and Dynasty Warriors. The Wii U would be the greatest system on which to realize this vision because of the dual screen. You would not only have the strategic considerations of how you progress and branch through the campaign between battles, but in battles as well you could be managing deployments etc all while fighting directly in the action (still as an overpowered beast). This could be done by one person, or with asymmetric multi-player roles like the 5th generation Armored Core series.

repomech

The Dynasty Warriors and Fire Emblem fans in me still feel they picked the wrong the franchise to tie-in. I understand Zelda is the bigger name brand franchise, but I feel like Fire Emblem has the stronger cast for this type of game. Additionally Zelda is already an action game, so it's not like fighting as Link in real-time has the same novel appeal as suddenly being able to brawl as Chrom or Eirika would (although being able to play as other non-Link characters from Zelda will be new). The other game play elements each brings to the table would also be stronger in Fire Emblem's case. Tactical considerations, dialog driven on-battlefield bonding and power boosts, more customizable RPG elements (the promotion system would have been incredible), the common campaign progression structure vs. Zelda's open exploration, NPC adventure problem solving and environmental puzzles. There's no question which would bring more to the table of realizing a better Warriors game.

As for the aforementioned relative popularity, yeah, there's no question Zelda is the more popular series. And while that might seem like the open and shut end of the discussion with a commercial consideration trump card - I'd say a case could be made that Nintendo's longer term interests might be better served by shoring up the profile of a couple more franchises, rather than just hoping the legs never give out on Zelda or Mario. Nintendo just scored an unexpected international hit with Fire Emblem Awakening. Build on it. See if you can make Fire Emblem a key pillar. Put an Awakening character in Smash. Build a tie-in spin off with Koei (in Japan Warriors games are big deal). Have a next Fire Emblem game to announce for the 3DS before the end of its life cycle.

^I've never played any of the Dynasty Warriors games, but I'm one of the Zelda diehards that Nintendo is hoping will pick up Hyrule Warriors... because I totally will.
And this is the other side of it, the many Zelda fans who are drawn by that name. Outside of Japan this is likely to be the case more often than not. Warriors games have their following in the west, but it's not the heavy hitting franchise it is in its homeland.

Last edited:
@Mike D. Apparently you can still play Goldeneye online according to @mantisLJD . I don't really know. I was playing a bit of it yesterday and was surprised how quickly I got into matches lol. But yeah that's that.

Got 78% on my exam, which is a clear pass. This test doesn't have a pass, merit, distinction scale which I thought (my score would've been a distinction though). So, happy days! Just need to finish off this last piece of work....

Wazzap TNE

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Sadness, what's the sadiest thing is people believe this rumor started up by Twilight Prince and they kept it rolling.

Same with the bull crap he started on Twilight Princess with the Tallahandra extra boss and dungeon that Twlight Prince and the bunch came up with and ran with it. But it's all false.

On another note, and this is grand fellas. Ya boy aka "solid D student" we just invited by my home school to come and speak to the kids on career day :mlaugh:. May word how times have changed when I'm thought about to come and do such whatnots. :mfancy:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.

repomech

I don't want them doing the job of global manipulator, murderer (directly and be default) or torturer, either. That would eliminate many past and present "job" duties, certainly. But I wouldn't want to live in a highly-developed industrial nation that had no espionage agency at all (such a country would be nothing but a mark). Not with the bloody historical hands of humanity. I don't trust us and often wish we'd evolved from gentler creatures.

Damnit! I forgot about that. I had meant to get some people around (I know @Goodtwin was down) for a final night of GoldenEye.
We're even more on the same page than I gave credit for it seems. A hypothetical post-CIA/NSA etc. agency actually confined and committed to some modest public interest/security concerns would be a very different beast in terms of mandate, scope, accountability etc. If the US wasn't concerned with projecting political, economic and military power on a global scale - mainly for the purposes of maintaining economic standing at the top of the international pecking order, what legitimate security concerns would even remain is very much an open question (it would be such a different world no one could definitively say from this vantage point).

Btw, I have a copy of GoldenEye that I've never played (or even opened). I don't really have any experience with FPS online, but if you're in need of another team member, I'd be cool with checking it out for a night (I assume it works in teams?).

something new gets added to this pasta every time I read it, thanks to the ever-evolving tumblr train.
I kept hearing about tumblr, usually with respect to its infamy, and usually people venting about how it's ruined words like "problematic" from sane usage for an entire generation. But it's not a part of the interwebs I'd ever spent any time. So I decided to check it out for myself, and I spent a half hour or so perusing different blogs and posts, searching for certain themes or key words, admittedly having to google quite a number I came across. Now leaving aside that there may have been a sample bias with respect to the ages of those whose output I was reading (everyone seemed to be easily under 25), and that I made no real effort to research and seek out sections that might be of a higher quality, I have to say... wow. Just wow. I would have trouble trying to put into words the violence done to words, concepts, communication, coherence, reality, philosophy. It appeared to be a gigantic, ever-expanding sea of self-centred... dumb. Imagine watching a barrel full of crabs tugging at and fighting with each other, pulling any crab that tries to escape down, only instead of claws they were using socially manipulative behaviour, and fragments of concepts they clearly didn't have a firm grasp of (including a number that are not so sound even in fully developed form), but were wielding as half-baked cudgels against each other nonetheless. I'm not sure it was any nastier or more ad hominem in its argumentative style than a place like IGN, it's just the obsession shifts from who is a fanboy/troll to how intricate a set of labels one can weave to describe one's identity/proclivities or how nebulous and abstract one can be about describing social systems, and how offended you can act when someone else either *gasp* disagrees or *double gasp* inevitably fumbles trying to navigate the minefield of demands and expectations that seem to accompany such abusively idiosyncratic customs.

Last edited:

EvilTw1n

We're even more on the same page than I gave credit for it seems. A hypothetical post-CIA/NSA etc. agency actually confined and committed to some modest public interest/security concerns would be a very different beast in terms of mandate, scope, accountability etc. If the US wasn't concerned with projecting political, economic and military power on a global scale - mainly for the purposes of maintaining economic standing at the top of the international pecking order, what legitimate security concerns would even remain is very much an open question (it would be such a different world no one could definitively say from this vantage point).

Btw, I have a copy of GoldenEye that I've never played (or even opened). I don't really have any experience with FPS online, but if you're in need of another team member, I'd be cool with checking it out for a night (I assume it works in teams?).
TBH, I now realize that my post was a bit naive. I was suggesting something you weren't even referring to (I was mentioning a potential future, you were talking about the very real present). But on the bolded part, yup. The United States is caught up in the psychology of empire. It's very hard to break. No one gives up being a global hegemon by choice.

And if GE online still works for some odd reason, I'd be down for that. There's no voice chat, unfortunately.

(Also, tumblr is full of lots of young-uns, and it's got plenty of train wrecks all over it. The trick is to have a profile and only follow a select few blogs. I follow maybe 6 blogs on tumblr. You got your Monty Python, your Charlie Brown + Smiths lyrics, your Art of Animation, and on and on. If you curate your tumblr feed, it's cool. Otherwise, it's a bunch of myopic children arguing about what offends them.)

hey @Jacesonnall have you tried out elgato yet? How's it working for ya?
Haven't tried it out with my Wii U yet, but from I've experienced using it on my Wii, it works pretty fantastically. The set up is simpler than I thought it'd be, the picture is probably the best it can possibly be among the other capture cards, and it there's no lag while I play.

One thing I'll note that I didn't realize before I bought the device is that you can't play on the computer screen where it's being captured without there being a 2-3 second delay. You have to play it on your TV (which is probably ideal in the first place, but it means bringing your entire desktop to the TV if you don't have a laptop).

So yeah, so far it's been worth it, but I'd like to spend a little more time with it before I make any recommendations.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Haven't tried it out with my Wii U yet, but from I've experienced using it on my Wii, it works pretty fantastically. The set up is simpler than I thought it'd be, the picture is probably the best it can possibly be among the other capture cards, and it there's no lag while I play.

One thing I'll note that I didn't realize before I bought the device is that you can't play on the computer screen where it's being captured without there being a 2-3 second delay. You have to play it on your TV (which is probably ideal in the first place, but it means bringing your entire desktop to the TV if you don't have a laptop).

So yeah, so far it's been worth it, but I'd like to spend a little more time with it before I make any recommendations.
When I used it to stream Dark Souls 2 PvP, I didn't get any noticeable delay. I do have my computer set up on a TV instead of a monitor, but I'm not sure how that would make it different. The way I had it setup was my graphics card outputting through HDMI to the elgato, then the elgato to my TV through HDMI.

The problem I did get was in the resolution, since the elgato made the graphics card output at a resolution that wasn't optimal for my monitor, and it's not something I could change my changing the resolution from my desktop because this would only change the resolution being requested from the elgato card, while the elgato card was still requesting a non-optimal resolution from the graphics card. So I was playing with a different resolution than my TV works best at, but with no delay.

By the way, how did you set up your Wii to the elgato? I thought the elgato only took HDMI and that weird custom A/V input from the PS3 or whatever (edit: found picture of the inputs). Did you have to get an adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.