Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Wiimote can't do exactly what the gamepad does. It doesn't have 2 control sticks and motion.

Does that make gamepad superior? Debatable. Can the wiimote "work" in Splatoon? Absolutely.
I know that what Laer is referring to is that you use the gamepad's gyroscope to aim, while you use the right stick to move the camera generally. But there were FPS on Wii that did that using only the Wiimote's IR. I think Goldeneye did it, and if I'm not mistaken the Conduit games did as well. There was a deadzone for moving the camera, but within that deadzone the position of your cursor would shift the camera in small increments, giving you a wider field of view than otherwise, essentially creating the same effect as moving the camera with the right stick and doing fine aiming with the gamepad's gyroscope.

Hell, it's probably still an option in Black Ops 2 and Ghosts, but I haven't even tried cause I now find it better to simply set a deadzone of zero and have the position of the cursor always control the camera.

@Laer_HeiSeiRyuu Watch my gameplay of COD: Ghosts.

In the footage of Splatoon I've seen, I haven't felt the camera control to be nearly as fluid and responsive as how it is for me in Ghosts. I don't think I'd even be able to perform nearly as well with gamepad gyroscope controls as I already do in Wii U COD. And COD already does display the map on its gamepad while I play on the Wiimote (since the Wii U's launch, in fact), actually I put the gamepad on its stand in front of me so I can watch the map while I play, sometimes. Splatoon has no excuse whatsoever to not allow the Wiimote to be used.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Fans - "Hey Nintendo, you should build more games around the Gamepad. It's so underutilized."

Nintendo - "Splatoon will use the Gamepad in interesting ways. The Gyrosc..."

Fans - "What the fuck Nintendo...? Why no IR aiming..?"

Nintendo - "But you said, um..."

Fans - "Please develope more games around the Gamepads special functionality. Not enough games use it to its full potential."

Nintendo - "Well Zelda U is going to be using the Gamepad in ways never before seen in a Wii U game. We're very excited to show y..."

Fans - "Wait, no Motion Plus controls...? Fuck you Nintendo! There is no good reason why Motion+ can't be in there!"

Nintendo - "But I thought..."

Fans - "Why hasn't Nintendo gone mobile..? There is a lot of potential money there."

Nintendo - "Well we actually are going mobile. We are excited to share some new inf..."

Fans - "Mobile games suck anyway, I'm too good to play Nintendo games on a phone, bleh."

Nintendo -

Last edited:
I thin Splatoon could play like Pikmin 3, have the gamepad as sort of a personal device that holds the map and such.

Hell Nintendo always showed off Pikmin 3 with the Wiimote/Nunchuk. I like gamepad when it's used in good subtle ways, but that's just me personally.

Amd given the option though, I think I would just play Splatoon with the gamepad and aim with the right stick. I'm lazy and like lying down while playing vidja.

edit: But at the same time, Ninty ain't giving me much of a reason as well. I played most of Cat Mario with the Pro controller except for the 2 levels that needed the gamepad. Pro's battery life is just too good.

I did like Wind Waker though, again, a subtle use of the gamepad that held all the items and maps. That's what I like personally. I was never a fan of gyroscope aiming, on 3DS or Wii U.

But I do somewhat agree with LSB, fans are a finicky bunch

Aki

Got my Zelda package yesterday that my younger brother sent me. It's just some of my Zelda stuff that I can't live without. Have some pics to share of it, enjoy.

img_0069.jpg

img_0067.jpg

img_0068.jpg

Hello everyone.

I'm Nathan from PawByte a Chicago indie gaming studio. I'm a licensed Nintendo Wii U developer and Third Party publisher.

Currently I plan to bring all of my upcoming games to the Wii U.
This includes:
Agriduel aka Fields of Fresh[Farming RPG]
Command Throne aka Underground Throne[Dungeon RTS]
and Agent AAA[Overhead Action title].

Please note all of these are 2D games and depend on the Game Pencil Engine I'm also bringing to the Wii U as an alternative engine and IDE.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Thanks.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Hello everyone.

I'm Nathan from PawByte a Chicago indie gaming studio. I'm a licensed Nintendo Wii U developer and Third Party publisher.

This includes:

Please note all of these are 2D games and depend on the Game Pencil Engine I'm also bringing to the Wii U as an alternative engine and IDE.

Thanks.
Again, as I mentioned in the Chat, welcome aboard. If you have any other questions, or what have you, @mattavelle1 @juegosmajicos @EvilTw1n can sort you out as well.

Shoulder

In honor of Jeremy Clarkson getting sacked from Top Gear and the BBC this week, I absolutely love this original video someone created of him:

I hope Clarkson, Hammond, and May can get together and make their own TV show.

#TopGear4life

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Hello everyone.

This includes:

Thanks.
Anytime you wanna post what's going on with you and your games. We have a dedicated section in our forums just for Devs. It's call "Meet the developers". Please feel free to use it and update it. And our community will post and give feedback.

Welcome to TNE, thank you for checking us out. :mthumb:

Thank you for the alert @Shoulder

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
I was talking to SuperGamer in the chat and he wanted me to share this hilarious video he made about the Zelda delay. It is ze best. ZE BEST!

Last edited:

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I'm so into this. "When we got there she would have us something nice a warm to drink. We were happy." What an interesting set of videos you don't get to here these types of stories or see how it was back then everyday. (Plus if your trying to eat cheap I guess it dosent get cheaper than depression meals.) Enjoy

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
@juegosmajicos Right. There are times when cursor moves independent of the camera. It happens when inside the bounding box and during screen-lock, which BLOPS2 and Goldeneye had. It's never simultaneous like the gamepad.
Each game had different customizable settings (which was both bad and good).

Wii FPS games forced you to have a deadzone inside of which the cursor wouldn't move the camera, like you said, but starting with BLOPS2 you can make that deadzone to have zero dimensions, which is the case in the video I posted.

Goldeneye and Conduit 1 and 2 (at least one or two of these games, I'm not sure which) had a thing where the camera would pan toward your cursor even if it was inside the deadzone to effectively give you a larger field of view without changing the actual direction your body was turned toward. I always thought of it as turning your head, while moving the cursor outside the deadzone would turn your body. This is the most similar to what I've seen with Splatoon (and used in Ocarina of Time 3D and Skyward Sword), where the right stick makes sweeping camera movements and the gamepad fine-tunes the aiming.

A specific awesome feature in Wii U FPS games (and some Wii ones like Red Steel 2) is the ability to modify the camera turning speed curve even when the deadzone is zero. For example, if you chose a linear turning speed curve, the camera turning speed would increase linearly as your cursor when from the center to the edge of the screen. This makes playing with a zero deadzone a little awkward, as the camera is unstable even when your cursor is near the center, especially if you like to set high turning speeds in your controls. So you can make the turning speed curve exponential instead of linear, which makes it so that your turning speed increases more sharply near the edges than near the center, so that it's much easier to point and shoot at a target without your camera going spastic. This is what I have in my Ghosts video above.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I'm so into this. "When we got there she would have us something nice a warm to drink. We were happy." What an interesting set of videos you don't get to here these types of stories or see how it was back then everyday. (Plus if your trying to eat cheap I guess it dosent get cheaper than depression meals.) Enjoy

This video great-depresses me.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
So what I'm saying with Splatoon is not that the gamepad can't offer unique advantages over the Wiimote+Nunchuk. But that the Wiimote+Nunchuk have been turned into magical controls by FPS developers of Wii and Wii U games, and what Nintendo is doing with Splatoon doesn't seem to come even close to it. It's a case of Nintendo ignoring not only what has been done with their previous tech (great customizable IR controls), but also what has been done with their current tech (great cuztomizable IR controls plus gamepad-as-map) in order to put out some half-baked control system whose biggest claim to fame is that it's not as bad as traditional Dual Analog aiming. That's nothing to congratulate them for, in my opinion, especially when they themselves have done better than that in their previous games like Pikmin 3.

Hello everyone.

This includes:

Thanks.
Overhead action title hmmmm?

Care to spill the beans?

So today in the chat a bunch of us were talking about nintendo consoles, which one was the best, how the wii u is doing, blah blah.

Head on over to Gametrailers and they made a Countdown of Nintendo's best hardware.

Agree, disagree, (i know people in the chat weren't agreeing with me today), but Nintendo made some good shit over the years.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/slu4pc/gt-countdown-top-ten-nintendo-systems

Aki

So today in the chat a bunch of us were talking about nintendo consoles, which one was the best, how the wii u is doing, blah blah.

Head on over to Gametrailers and they made a Countdown of Nintendo's best hardware.

Agree, disagree, (i know people in the chat weren't agreeing with me today), but Nintendo made some good shit over the years.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/slu4pc/gt-countdown-top-ten-nintendo-systems
Saw this earlier today, but finally got around to watching it. The list is solid, but I don't agree with all of it. To recap for those who don't want to watch it, the list goes as follows:

10. Wii U
9. GBA
8. 3DS
7. Wii
6. DS
5. GCN
4. GB
3. NES
2. N64
1. SNES

I actually think that the list is pretty good and have very little complaints with it. My first issue with the list is the GBA at no. 9. There's no way that the original GameBoy is better than the GameBoy Advance. Maybe the OG GB was a bigger pioneer at the time it was released, but I don't think that it has the better library. Yes, it does have classics like Pokemon Red / Blue, Pokemon Gold / Silver, SMB Deluxe, and Zelda's Awakening, but GBA overall has more quality games. That's pretty much it with my issues of the list. My personal list would go as follows:

10. Wii U - The reason why I have Wii U at no. 10 is simply because it's still in its infancy. As discussed in the chat today, there's certainly quality titles out for it, there just isn't as many as the other consoles.

9. NES - I have NES at no. 9 because, quite frankly, it's way before my time and I've only played a handful on NES games in my life.

8. GB - The same can be said about having the GB at no. 8. The only games that I actually played on my GameBoy Color, never had the OG, were the Pokemon games and I practically played those 24/7. While I did spend a good portion of my youth on my GBC playing Pokemon, I certainly didn't delve much further than that. I'd occasionally play SMB Deluxe and that was about it.

7. DS - While the DS has a huge library with man stellar titles, once again, I didn't spend much time with my DS. I found the original Pokemon games for the console (D/P, B/W, B2/W2) to be pretty lackluster compared to Gen 1 and 2. Also, I wasn't really feeling the Zelda games on DS and quite frankly, I just thought that most games on DS had really shitty graphics.

6. 3DS - 3DS gets the nod over DS simply due to the quality of the Zelda remakes. To me OoT is the greatest game ever made so ya. It also helps that the console has a pretty stellar library itself, albeit, a bit smaller than that of DS. Virtually every series that was on DS, I feel is better on 3DS. Plus, the graphics on 3DS are actually good.

5. GBA - GBA gets the nod over both because some of my all-time favorite games were remade for the console (SMW, SMB 3, Zero Mission, FFIV, Pokemon FireRed . . .).

4. Wii - Wii was a very revolutionary console and had plenty of things going for it. I especially like the VC aspect of it, however, I don't really consider that a plus for Wii U when ranking the console because the games were from previous consoles. However, with that being said, I think the Wii certainly had some stand-out titles. First ones that obviously come to mind a Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2. New Super Mario Bros. was good as well. It also had plenty of GCN remasters such as RE4, RE, RE:0, MPT, Pikmin, Pikmin, Mario Tennis, and so on. I actually count that against Wii because some of my favorite games on the console were GCN titles.

3. GCN - GCN gets the nod over Wii because it simply had the better exclusives IMO. Out of the first party games, I think that the Wii only did Mario better and that's not enough to put it over the GCN consider GCN gave birth to 3D Metroid. Not to mention, it had many other gems as well and good third party support. GCN might've had one of the best launch windows ever in video game history. Plus, the controller is one of my favorites, if not my favorite, and the console itself just looks like a box of fun.

2. SNES - Deciding between the N64 and SNES was pretty hard. Both consoles definitely have stellar games, with SNES easily sporting a better overall library than N64. SNES was pretty much a gold mine for 2D games, especially, platformers. By the time it came out, I felt like a lot of third parties and Nintendo themselves were really in top gear. They knew how to program for the console and really made the best out of it with classics such as ALttP, Chrono Trigger, FFIV, FFVI, SMW, SMK, SFII, Secret of Mana, EarthBound, Punch-Out . . . the list goes on and on.

1. N64 - Like I said previously, deciding between no. 1 and 2 was a very tough call. My reasoning for going with N64 as top dog is somewhat simple. The thing is that played many of my favorite SNES titles when I was older as opposed to when they were actually released for the console. As a kid, the only games that I really played on SNES were Super Mario All-Stars, Super Mario World, and Super Mario Kart. Those games were great, but I definitely spent way more time playing my N64 and had better times since it was mostly gaming with my friends. OoT is the best game in the Zelda series. Same can be said for SM64. MK64 was very good too and I love the first three Mario Party games. GoldenEye is legendary and many days were wasted playing Smash Bros as well as WWF No Mercy, the greatest wrestling game ever. Plus, there were other gems like the Banjo series, Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark, Star Fox 64 and so on.

Last edited:

Shoulder

So I'm reddit, losing myself, and stumble upon this thread about Judy Garland, and this heartbreaking performance she did of 'Somewhere over the Rainbow.' It is both gut-wrenching and powerful at the same time.

Thread:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/30menf/judy_garland_somewhere_over_the_rainbow_broadway/

And here's the video of that performance:

I then spend the next half-hour reading about her life, and how tragic it was. It was no wonder she killed herself. And that's not even the worst bit. This was also rather horrible to read:

http://open.salon.com/blog/tale_teller/2009/08/08/judy_garlands_casket_handles_2

From childhood to post-mortem, her life was almost always in some type of ruins. The things I stumble upon right as I'm heading to bed, and now it's almost quarter to 2am as I post this.

G'nite, TNE.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Saw this earlier today, but finally got around to watching it. The list is solid, but I don't agree with all of it. To recap for those who don't want to watch it, the list goes as follows:

10. Wii U
9. GBA
8. 3DS
7. Wii
6. DS
5. GCN
4. GB
3. NES
2. N64
1. SNES

I actually think that the list is pretty good and have very little complaints with it. My first issue with the list is the GBA at no. 9. There's no way that the original GameBoy is better than the GameBoy Advance. Maybe the OG GB was a bigger pioneer at the time it was released, but I don't think that it has the better library. Yes, it does have classics like Pokemon Red / Blue, Pokemon Gold / Silver, SMB Deluxe, and Zelda's Awakening, but GBA overall has more quality games. That's pretty much it with my issues of the list. My personal list would go as follows:

10. Wii U
9. NES
8. GB
7. DS
6. 3DS
5. GBA
4. Wii
3. GCN
2. SNES
1. N64

The reason why I have Wii U at no. 10 is simply because it's still in its infancy. As discussed in the chat today, there's certainly quality titles out for it, there just isn't as many as the other consoles. I have NES at no. 9 because, quite frankly, it's way before my time and I've only played a handful on NES games in my life. The same can be said about having the GB at no. 8. The only games that I actually played on my GameBoy Color, never had the OG, were the Pokemon games and I practically played those 24/7. The rest of the list is pretty self explanatory. 3DS gets the nod over DS simply due to the quality of the Zelda remakes. MK8 was also very good and it got Smash Bros. GBA gets the nod over both because some of my all-time favorite games were remade for the console (SMW, SMB 3, Zero Mission, FFIV, Pokemon FireRed). GCN gets the nod over Wii because it simply had the better exclusives IMO. Out of the first party games, I think that the Wii only did Mario better and that's not enough to put it over the GCN consider GCN gave birth to 3D Metroid. Not to mention, it had many other gems as well and good third party support. Finally, deciding between the N64 and SNES was pretty hard. While both consoles definitely have stellar games, with SNES easily sporting a better overall library than N64, I still went with N64 as my top Nintendo console. My reasoning is that I played many of my favorite SNES titles when I was older as opposed to when they were actually released for the console. As a kid, the only games that I really played on SNES were Super Mario All-Stars, Super Mario World, and Super Mario Kart. Those games were great, but I definitely spent way more time playing my N64 and had better times since it was mostly gaming with my friends. OoT is the best game in the Zelda series. Same can be said for SM64. MK64 was very good too and I love the first three Mario Party games. GoldenEye is legendary and many days were wasted playing Smash Bros as well as WWF No Mercy, the greatest wrestling game ever. Plus, there were other gems like the Banjo series, Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark, Star Fox 64 and so on.
rating consoles should probably come down to game library, and historical value of game library.. for example.. the snes gets more credit than the 360 in my book because the entire industry was MUCH smaller at the time

10. GCN
Sub-par 3rd party support and , EAD's shitiest period as a developer... the only real highlights for the system was retro's debut, some strong 2nd party support, and Melee

09. N64
a huge leap in game design with 3d.. but virtually no3 rd party support, and the system got about 1 game every 3 months.. and I don't mean good games.. just games period... Rare grew exponentially durring the n64 generation, but I was never much of a fan... EAD was firing on all cylinders, but their efforts didn't age well because of the cutting edge nature of the system as a 3d pioneer

08. GB
would be MUCH higher up on the list, if the games weren't so severely limited... for improtance ot the company this is probably second only to the nes.. or perhaps even ahead of the nes... but it has not aged well at all, just far too limtied.

07. Wii U
Still very early, so i gave it a little bit of that hope for the future love... while 3rd party support dried up almost entirely within 1 year, the system also marks a lot of positive change for nintendo.. first off.. as a development company this is Nintendo at their absolute best... not necessarily their most innovative.. but the games are super polished.... smash's biggest limtiation for example was its parity with the 3ds version, even so it is the second best game in the franchise... mario kart is BY FAR the best game in its franchise.. just by miles upon miles... it is like the jump from metroid 2 to super metroid IMO.... Zelda isn't out, but is looking like what a 3d zelda always should have been... which is amazing if it turns out... while 3rd party support sucks... indy support is phenomenal, and we got nintendo's first foray into stuff like DLC, a competent eshop, a MUCH better online system, and a pretty cool social network... personally i think the wii u in its entirety was kind of a test for the eventual hybrid, and allowed Nintendo to strengthen its position on a more unified architecture and the idea of breaking the "parasitic" nature of gaming consoles to TVs. Hopefully the wii u acts as a very improtant lesson to nintendo as well.. somethign they should have elarned after the n64... they can never again count on 3rd parties... they can allow them.. and be helpful to them... but they cannot count on them... as such, they need to expand their development resources and unify their platforms so they can take on the market virtually alone, as a seperate niche unaffected by the eventual doom the rest of the console industry is sitting under.

06. 3DS
3rd worst launch in nintendo history, after the wii u, and of course the virtual boy... that beign said.. the 3ds has become a pretty stable home of good game releases with a few classics pushing it up

05. Wii
bad 3rd party support, poor hardware design (they should have at the very least included a GPU that could do hardware shaders.. also outputting to HD would have been a cheap hardware bump... by that i don't mean HD the way we think of it now.. but just by resolution... which wouldn't have helped the big core games.. but would have drastically increased the life of nintendo's more casual fare. Some people hate motion, some love it, I think it is another tool that needs to be used correctly.. as such I think zelda ss kindof sucked for over doing it... but had moments of genius when it used it correctly... metroid prime 3 proved thta shooters with poitner cotnrols were superior in gaemplay, and godfather: Blackhand proved that the wii could be amazing and fun for sandbox games, while zack and wiki helped revitalize the fallen adventure game genre... the system also saw the best console rpg supprot nintendo ahs ahd sicne the snes... with the astounding xenoblade, and the ambitiout the last story... we also got a handful of amazing niche games like fragile, mad world, and no more heroes... while people seem to despise nintendo's casual fare... I actually think wii sports was amazing, and enjoyed big brain academy, and other such titles... it helped my mom get back into gaming... and allowed her to bowl again afetr giving it up due to a botched hip replacement. Thew rost thign about owning a wii was the stigma given to its owners by the "tr00 gamers"

04. GBA
the way I think of the gba, is the way I think of all these "8-bit" indy games... it is absically a throwback to the snes when it coems to games... as such it has amazing titles, super polished 2d awesomeness... but it never lives up to the games it is copying... the snes was just better... because it had better games

03. NES
probably the most important gaming system of all time... it also established, and/or redefined most major genres, as wella s beign the single greatest moment in the cretaion of game design philosophy.. mario, final fantasy, metroid, mega man, castlevania...etc... it seemd like every other game either created or redefined an entire genre. Unfortunately, only a small few of the titles have held up... they are better in our memories than they are as games.

02. DS
The closest thign to actually repeating the SNES' success as a hoem to both amazing 1st and 3rd aprty supprot is only limited by the lower budgets of games due to the stigma of being handheld.... it is like the developers consciously knew their game wouldn't get the recognition it would if it was on a major console.. and that bled into development a bit... this also happened to align with the fall of the japanese industry, with mobile f2p destroying the jrpg genre while the west destroyed the rest of the japanese dominance... japanese developer confidence just felt like it took a huge hit and you could feel it in the games... if this wasn't the case.. the ds would probably be number 1.

01. SNES
Take everything good about the ps and ps2.. and add in everythign good about nintendo's 1st and 2nd aprties.. and you have the snes... basically it is the perfect combination fo amazing 1st party support and all of the significant 3rd party support... it will never be repeated.

Aki

rating consoles should probably come down to game library, and historical value of game library.. for example.. the snes gets more credit than the 360 in my book because the entire industry was MUCH smaller at the time
There's many of ways of rating consoles on all-time lists. While, sometimes, I do go with the method that you mentioned, this time I deciding to go with fun factor and how much fun I had with them because, to me, at the end of the day, that's all that really counts. I mean a console can have the most technically sound, best looking game to date, but if I don't find it fun, well then, the game sucks in my eyes.

Shoulder

Sorry to overhype, but that game is only in the Game Design phase right now. No prototype is even built for this title yet.

Lo siento. Delayed til 2016 or 2017. :D
You did say overhead action title, so immediately I'm thinking a Shoot em' up, which if true, I'd be ok with that.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Your first Spectre teaser.

Fans - "Hey Nintendo, you should build more games around the Gamepad. It's so underutilized."

Nintendo - "Splatoon will use the Gamepad in interesting ways. The Gyrosc..."

Fan - "What the fuck Nintendo...? Why no IR aiming..?"

Nintendo - "But you said, um..."
Nintendo said they weren't abandoning the Wiimote.

The GamePad certainly hasn't been utilized nearly enough, but if they're making one option playing with sticks only? Makes zero sense to exclude Wiimote support.
Hello everyone.

This includes:

Thanks.
The Game Pencil Engine? Do tell.

I know that what Laer is referring to is that you use the gamepad's gyroscope to aim, while you use the right stick to move the camera generally. But there were FPS on Wii that did that using only the Wiimote's IR. I think Goldeneye did it, and if I'm not mistaken the Conduit games did as well. There was a deadzone for moving the camera, but within that deadzone the position of your cursor would shift the camera in small increments, giving you a wider field of view than otherwise, essentially creating the same effect as moving the camera with the right stick and doing fine aiming with the gamepad's gyroscope.

Hell, it's probably still an option in Black Ops 2 and Ghosts, but I haven't even tried cause I now find it better to simply set a deadzone of zero and have the position of the cursor always control the camera.

@Laer_HeiSeiRyuu Watch my gameplay of COD: Ghosts.

In the footage of Splatoon I've seen, I haven't felt the camera control to be nearly as fluid and responsive as how it is for me in Ghosts. I don't think I'd even be able to perform nearly as well with gamepad gyroscope controls as I already do in Wii U COD. And COD already does display the map on its gamepad while I play on the Wiimote (since the Wii U's launch, in fact), actually I put the gamepad on its stand in front of me so I can watch the map while I play, sometimes. Splatoon has no excuse whatsoever to not allow the Wiimote to be used.
The gyroscope in the wii U's already different from the one in the wii remote, the level of precision and speed that is there isnt replicable on the Wii Mote +

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
The gyroscope in the wii U's already different from the one in the wii remote, the level of precision and speed that is there isnt replicable on the Wii Mote +
I guess I won't know how good Splatoon's control system really is until the game comes out and I try it, but again, I have zero confidence in it even approaching the godliness of IR FPS controls already in place in other Wii and Wii U games.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I'm really worried they might go full Quantum again, but at the same time incredibly optimistic.
Quantum was shot during the big writer's strike. They have a script to work with now, and they have Sam Mendes.

I absolutely hate the idea of recycling Spectre, but it's probably still going to be pretty damn good, just because they have a team that should be firing on all cylinders right now.
View attachment 1991

So I finally got the Zelda prints, and bought the frames today. it's not even , the frames suck, the hook on the back sucks, it sucked getting the prints in it.

But I'm happy with it. It's above my tv in the living room
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. That's freaking BAMF-y.
I guess I won't know how good Splatoon's control system really is until the game comes out and I try it, but again, I have zero confidence in it even approaching the godliness of IR FPS controls already in place in other Wii and Wii U games.

If the GamePad motion controls end up wonderful, that's great.

But that's not the point. You can play the game with twin sticks only. That is the point, because if that option is offered, why isn't Wii remote support offered? Devs spent all last gen polishing up pointer controls as an alternative to dual analog, and now that Nintendo is releasing their first ever online shooter, they don't even bother with their own control scheme that has gotten so finely tuned over the years?

No IR. No voice chat. It's inching into no buy territory for me, the more I think about it.

...and now I want to play some COD private matches.

Last edited:
^ Probably because they're more concerned with how it works optimally with the gamepad as its their latest piece of developed technology in terms of motion control. Wii Remote support could be patched in later after the game is launched to replace dual analog but the gyro assists already do that.

But IR is better than dual analog in general yes.

The game looks phenomenal anyway, in both single and multiplayer. It's giving me kid icarus vibes :3

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
And the Final Four in NCAA Basketball is set for Indy.

Kentucky vs. Wisconsin

Mich St. vs. Duke

What 4 excellent teams and excellent basketball programs. Should be amazing next Saturday. Then the next Monday the final game will be played.

LETS GO KENTUCKY!!!! LETS GO BIG BLUE!!!!

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
No IR. No voice chat. It's inching into no buy territory for me, the more I think about it.
It's making me wish they would delay this game to the holiday season, since they don't have Zelda filling that spot anymore (and as much as I wish it did, Xenoblade Chronicles X is not going to sell gangbusters, not even close). I would much rather Splatoon be a game I'm very sure I want later this year instead of being a game I'm on the fence about this Summer. Of course, they could just release the game now and do considerable patches later, like voice chat in private matches and IR controls support, and it could be just as well.

But yeah, I am thoroughly on the fence with this game. I said the same about Smash, and you know what? I rarely play it anymore. I only ever play it when my brother visits, in fact. And I said the same thing about Mario Kart, and you know what? That's even worse. I don't even play that game anymore, and probably won't again unless I get excited for a game night here, or when the next DLC I already paid for arrives. It's not a good feeling to have three HUGE Nintendo multiplayer titles be so uninteresting to me.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
But IR is better than dual analog in general yes.
This is what I find disquieting, that a sentence like that can even be written. It exposes how incredibly underrated IR controls are by gamers. To me, dual analog and IR are not even comparable. They're just not on the same league. It's like comparing flip phones to smartphones. A more apt question would be whether IR is comparable to mouse controls (I've gone into serious arguments about that, actually, and looking at my footage above, I still think it's worth debating).

And that's precisely my point. When the debate worth having is between mouse and IR controls, I can't fathom any reason that the Splatoon dev team would choose to completely ignore the control system they already have available on their platform. I understand the game being designed first and foremost around gamepad controls - the gamepad comes with the Wii U, so every single person will have one. But there's absolutely no reason to completely ignore the proven control method that already exists.

It would be like if Half Life 3, if it ever comes out, supported only the Steam controller, and not the mouse. And there were apologists making the argument that, "the Steam controller is obviously better than using a traditional DA controller, so I don't see the problem". The problem is that the mouse exists, it is amazing, and it's stupid not to support it.

Shoulder

This is what I find disquieting, that a sentence like that can even be written. It exposes how incredibly underrated IR controls are by gamers. To me, dual analog and IR are not even comparable. They're just not on the same league. It's like comparing flip phones to smartphones. A more apt question would be whether IR is comparable to mouse controls (I've gone into serious arguments about that, actually, and looking at my footage above, I still think it's worth debating).

And that's precisely my point. When the debate worth having is between mouse and IR controls, I can't fathom any reason that the Splatoon dev team would choose to completely ignore the control system they already have available on their platform. I understand the game being designed first and foremost around gamepad controls - the gamepad comes with the Wii U, so every single person will have one. But there's absolutely no reason to completely ignore the proven control method that already exists.

It would be like if Half Life 3, if it ever comes out, supported only the Steam controller, and not the mouse. And there were apologists making the argument that, "the Steam controller is obviously better than using a traditional DA controller, so I don't see the problem". The problem is that the mouse exists, it is amazing, and it's stupid not to support it.
I think there is a legitimate debate concerning IR controls vs. KB&M, but obviously the PC elite will hold steadfast supporting KB&M to the ends of the earth. It's sort of the same people who say that Karate is better than Tae Kwon Do, or Kung Fu is the best martial art out there.

In reality, the best martial art, like the best control option, is what you're best at. And to prove my point about controls, let me explain something:

All of us who do play COD have different control options and preferences. I know some of us use IR controls, while others prefer DA. And here's the thing, when playing against ourselves, no one is ever truly better than the other. A lot of it has more to do with our reaction times than the actual control method. If IR controls were so dominately better, then IR players would always be better, and the fact is DA will sometimes reign supreme, and others IR does. It's all about the knob behind the controls.

Some say IR controls do not compare to KB&M, and I would argue IR could keep up, and in some cases, depending on the person, would be better.

If we could take all three control methods and put them against each other in one game, such as Counter-Strike, and see what's what. I do think it is possible to get IR controls working on a PC, but requires some fiddling and whatnot.

But here's another thing, and something you pointed out Jueg, and it's this: with IR controls you have a dead zone, or typically have a deadzone, and it appears to make the controls more suitable for IR aiming, whereas with DA and mouse controls, no deadzone is what you want.

So it would be interesting to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.