Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
I think there is a legitimate debate concerning IR controls vs. KB&M, but obviously the PC elite will hold steadfast supporting KB&M to the ends of the earth. It's sort of the same people who say that Karate is better than Tae Kwon Do, or Kung Fu is the best martial art out there.

In reality, the best martial art, like the best control option, is what you're best at. And to prove my point about controls, let me explain something:

All of us who do play COD have different control options and preferences. I know some of us use IR controls, while others prefer DA. And here's the thing, when playing against ourselves, no one is ever truly better than the other. A lot of it has more to do with our reaction times than the actual control method. If IR controls were so dominately better, then IR players would always be better, and the fact is DA will sometimes reign supreme, and others IR does. It's all about the knob behind the controls.

Some say IR controls do not compare to KB&M, and I would argue IR could keep up, and in some cases, depending on the person, would be better.

If we could take all three control methods and put them against each other in one game, such as Counter-Strike, and see what's what. I do think it is possible to get IR controls working on a PC, but requires some fiddling and whatnot.

But here's another thing, and something you pointed out Jueg, and it's this: with IR controls you have a dead zone, or typically have a deadzone, and it appears to make the controls more suitable for IR aiming, whereas with DA and mouse controls, no deadzone is what you want.

So it would be interesting to see.
jhym6.jpg

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
Man...this whole chatango thing is really hurting TNE. I mean...I am playing TOO MANY GAMES with folks over here. Its like we are having TOO MUCH FUN gaming and stuff. I don't even want to come in to the forums because I'm too busy hanging out in the chatroom ENJOYING GAMING.

Who really even likes video games? Its not like we are a bunch of Nintendo Enthusiasts!

:)

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
And you're absolutely right with that @Shoulder. In the fighting games competitive scene, for example, the common opinion is that fightsticks are the inherently superior control method.

But there are some top players that use a pad for tournament play.

Even if that's weird to me, it does come down to each person's taste.

But at least those people have options to try and they land on the one they decide is best for them. If Capcom decided that, with Street Fighter 5 for example, only pads were supported, all the people that use fightsticks would be terribly pissed off. And it would be a very valid issue because the fightstick has a great track record, much like I say the Wiimote does for FPS.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
But we can all agree on that fighsticks are sexy as all hell.

This one's mine:
fightstick.jpg

It's actually a pretty mediocre fightstick a friend sold me for $10, but modded with sanwa buttons and a seimitsu stick. The stick and buttons replacements cost me more than the damn thing, now that I think about it.

This is what I find disquieting, that a sentence like that can even be written. It exposes how incredibly underrated IR controls are by gamers. To me, dual analog and IR are not even comparable. They're just not on the same league. It's like comparing flip phones to smartphones. A more apt question would be whether IR is comparable to mouse controls (I've gone into serious arguments about that, actually, and looking at my footage above, I still think it's worth debating).

And that's precisely my point. When the debate worth having is between mouse and IR controls, I can't fathom any reason that the Splatoon dev team would choose to completely ignore the control system they already have available on their platform. I understand the game being designed first and foremost around gamepad controls - the gamepad comes with the Wii U, so every single person will have one. But there's absolutely no reason to completely ignore the proven control method that already exists.

It would be like if Half Life 3, if it ever comes out, supported only the Steam controller, and not the mouse. And there were apologists making the argument that, "the Steam controller is obviously better than using a traditional DA controller, so I don't see the problem". The problem is that the mouse exists, it is amazing, and it's stupid not to support it.
Why is it troubling? You're pretty lukewarm of Mario kart in general, and you're playing other fighting games than smash right now.

Gamepad's gyro control scheme is taking precedence, and since that in general is better than the Wii Remote's IR in terms of speed and precision it makes , they're only supporting Dual analog because its there to comfort those who cant handle the superior control scheme. Not to mention its a pretty big handicap for the scrubs who cant seem to evolve past their bog standard control scheme .

Supporting the Wii remote is just more work for them when they're focused on getting gamepad gyro controls as smooth and right as possible

Soo, Nintendo's been going ham with the Xenoblade 3D and Xenoblade X cross synergy marketing, the game's getting pretty high on the famitsu wanted list, and they're releasing it just before golden week so it'll be interesting to see how its received.

Anyhow if the US marketing is as good as this launch trailer and what they've been doing in Japan, X-cross will have smooth sailing come summer time

I mean just look at their channel lol!! https://www.youtube.com/user/NintendoDeutschland

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Gamepad's gyro control scheme is taking precedence, and since that in general is better than the Wii Remote's IR in terms of speed and precision
That's a ballsy claim. Like I said, I can't know until I try it myself, but based on having used IR controls for like 7 years, that sounds impossible to me. I have seen no indication whatsoever that this will be the case.

Laer said:
Supporting the Wii remote is just more work for them when they're focused on getting gamepad gyro controls as smooth and right as possible
That doesn't concern me as a consumer. That's their problem as creators, because not being willing to put in that work can cost them customers like me.

Of course but you'd likely play with gyro's + gamepad anyway since its the control scheme they put the most effort into.

Personally Im the kind of person who'll end up forcing people to learn to play a game in the best way possible, I wouldnt even give em the option to turn gyro off lol!

Thats my design ethos.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
So, two months later, I jumped back into Kingdoms of Amalur. It's nice to game on PC without having to worry about a CTD happening because a patch of grass loaded in wrong (coughSkyrimcough).

This game is suuuuper long though, from what I can tell. So far that's a good thing, but I might change my tune if I get bored of it partway through.

*shrug*

praisegrima

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
This game is suuuuper long though, from what I can tell. So far that's a good thing, but I might change my tune if I get bored of it partway through.
I heard that it was supposed to be an MMO that ended up being a single player RPG because of lack of funding. But they kept the whole world and all that. Which made sense to me cause yeah, that game was huge. I also ended up quitting, though I was enjoying my time with it.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
So, TNE. @mattavelle1 and I have made a friendly bet for the upcoming KT vs. WI game in the FINAL FOUR of March Madness (which is weird because it'll be April by the time the game happens, but no matter).

WI: (Shoulder)

vs.

KT: (Mattavelle)

-Loser who rooted for the losing team must update their avatar with the opposing teams' logo (not necessarily the ones posted) for a period of one week, effective right after the game on April 4th.

This should be fun.

Oh, right. Game on!

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Ah, that feeling of coming into work early on Monday, absolutely owning the crap out of your job for the first half of the day, and then having your boss tell you the client we do this work for is almost certainly taking my job responsibilities in the near future.

But yeah, I am thoroughly on the fence with this game. I said the same about Smash, and you know what? I rarely play it anymore. I only ever play it when my brother visits, in fact. And I said the same thing about Mario Kart, and you know what? That's even worse. I don't even play that game anymore, and probably won't again unless I get excited for a game night here, or when the next DLC I already paid for arrives. It's not a good feeling to have three HUGE Nintendo multiplayer titles be so uninteresting to me.
I'm kinda to used to it, tbh. I've never been interested in Smash or Kart. I was simply hoping for Nintendo to make something up my alley. Splatoon looks to be there more than SSB or MK, but with significant caveats. And like you, it's hard for me to get hyped for something I'm kinda into.
I think there is a legitimate debate concerning IR controls vs. KB&M, but obviously the PC elite will hold steadfast supporting KB&M to the ends of the earth. It's sort of the same people who say that Karate is better than Tae Kwon Do, or Kung Fu is the best martial art out there.

In reality, the best martial art, like the best control option, is what you're best at. And to prove my point about controls, let me explain something:

All of us who do play COD have different control options and preferences. I know some of us use IR controls, while others prefer DA. And here's the thing, when playing against ourselves, no one is ever truly better than the other. A lot of it has more to do with our reaction times than the actual control method. If IR controls were so dominately better, then IR players would always be better, and the fact is DA will sometimes reign supreme, and others IR does. It's all about the knob behind the controls.

Some say IR controls do not compare to KB&M, and I would argue IR could keep up, and in some cases, depending on the person, would be better.

If we could take all three control methods and put them against each other in one game, such as Counter-Strike, and see what's what. I do think it is possible to get IR controls working on a PC, but requires some fiddling and whatnot.

But here's another thing, and something you pointed out Jueg, and it's this: with IR controls you have a dead zone, or typically have a deadzone, and it appears to make the controls more suitable for IR aiming, whereas with DA and mouse controls, no deadzone is what you want.

So it would be interesting to see.
I would agree with this wholeheartedly, except for one caveat - you aren't ever playing COD in a "fair" fight. We've beat the topic to death for years, but there is aim assist you simply cannot turn off in modern COD (sticky aim, most notably), and there are other little things they've played around with at the edges to make DA playable (a really tight, really narrow bullet spray cone).

On Wii, games like Black Ops and GoldenEye also supported twin sticks, but with far more tame aim assist. And it did show. Even the most surgical twin stick player could be danced around in GE (me and @Goodtwin were pretty merciless). There are shots I wouldn't even think of trying with sticks that I used to routinely pull of with IR (ah, to be back in my prime). It's not controversial to say a mouse is more accurate than sticks; it shouldn't be controversial to say the same about IR. DA is a perfectly viable control system for shooters, but it does take more programming help to make it competitive with other aiming methods.

But getting back to Splatoon...
That doesn't concern me as a consumer. That's their problem as creators, because not being willing to put in that work can cost them customers like me.
Well, not only that, but it's not like it's some secret sauce. They aren't remaking the wheel. IR is not new. You can basically c/p the options from other games (cursor sensitivity, dead zone sizes, camera speed vertical/horizontal). Hell, just send an email to Retro asking what the Advanced settings are for Prime 3. This isn't expending valuable resources to crack something for the first time. It's a matter of copying.

[Y'know, I'd be amenable to the idea of "we're only using this one scheme" if they went that route, just like Other M. If their stance was "it plays ideally with this, and it's built and balanced around this," then I'd go along with it. But they're also tossing in twin sticks-only as an option. And once you're providing controller options, it's not like it's a huge investment to get Wiimote in there, too.]

Odo

Soo, Nintendo's been going ham with the Xenoblade 3D and Xenoblade X cross synergy marketing, the game's getting pretty high on the famitsu wanted list, and they're releasing it just before golden week so it'll be interesting to see how its received.

Anyhow if the US marketing is as good as this launch trailer and what they've been doing in Japan, X-cross will have smooth sailing come summer time

I mean just look at their channel lol!! https://www.youtube.com/user/NintendoDeutschland
Xenoblade OST is ... legendary.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
So, TNE. @mattavelle1 and I have made a friendly bet for the upcoming KT vs. WI game in the FINAL FOUR of March Madness (which is weird because it'll be April by the time the game happens, but no matter).

vs.

-Loser who rooted for the losing team must update their avatar with the opposing teams' logo (not necessarily the ones posted) for a period of one week, effective right after the game on April 4th.

This should be fun.

Oh, right. Game on!

I agree with these terms and the icons a perfect. Good Luck this weekend Shoulder to you and your team. :mthumb:

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear

That is awesome beyond all levels. I've always wanted to see how the orchestra plays the Xenoblade soundtrack. The Japanese have a very unique way of doing rock n' roll, and strings. Fantastic stuff!

Ah, that feeling of coming into work early on Monday, absolutely owning the crap out of your job for the first half of the day, and then having your boss tell you the client we do this work for is almost certainly taking my job responsibilities in the near future.

I'm kinda to used to it, tbh. I've never been interested in Smash or Kart. I was simply hoping for Nintendo to make something up my alley. Splatoon looks to be there more than SSB or MK, but with significant caveats. And like you, it's hard for me to get hyped for something I'm kinda into.

I would agree with this wholeheartedly, except for one caveat - you aren't ever playing COD in a "fair" fight. We've beat the topic to death for years, but there is aim assist you simply cannot turn off in modern COD (sticky aim, most notably), and there are other little things they've played around with at the edges to make DA playable (a really tight, really narrow bullet spray cone).

On Wii, games like Black Ops and GoldenEye also supported twin sticks, but with far more tame aim assist. And it did show. Even the most surgical twin stick player could be danced around in GE (me and @Goodtwin were pretty merciless). There are shots I wouldn't even think of trying with sticks that I used to routinely pull of with IR (ah, to be back in my prime). It's not controversial to say a mouse is more accurate than sticks; it shouldn't be controversial to say the same about IR. DA is a perfectly viable control system for shooters, but it does take more programming help to make it competitive with other aiming methods.

But getting back to Splatoon...

Well, not only that, but it's not like it's some secret sauce. They aren't remaking the wheel. IR is not new. You can basically c/p the options from other games (cursor sensitivity, dead zone sizes, camera speed vertical/horizontal). Hell, just send an email to Retro asking what the Advanced settings are for Prime 3. This isn't expending valuable resources to crack something for the first time. It's a matter of copying.

[Y'know, I'd be amenable to the idea of "we're only using this one scheme" if they went that route, just like Other M. If their stance was "it plays ideally with this, and it's built and balanced around this," then I'd go along with it. But they're also tossing in twin sticks-only as an option. And once you're providing controller options, it's not like it's a huge investment to get Wiimote in there, too.]
No, you're right. the tech is clearly there, so it would've been nice to include wiimote controls on top of gamepad motion, and twin sticks. Going briefly to what you were saying about aim assists, I always turn them off, even on twin sticks, because I prefer to move my character, and not some assist. Whenever I've played COD with your guys on my Gamepad, I use DA without aim assists.

Btw, sticky aim? Is that purely for DA, or IR aiming as well? As I said, I always turn off assists. Are you saying, even though I have those options turned off, something is still assisting you?

Xenoblade OST is ... legendary.
It is exquistely legendary. One of the greatest soundtracks of all time. I've beaten this to death, but the main theme is legendary in and of itself:

I agree with these terms and the icons a perfect. Good Luck this weekend Shoulder to you and your team. :mthumb:
We have an accord. I look forward to this week's shenanigans.

Aki

But we can all agree on that fighsticks are sexy as all hell.

This one's mine:
View attachment 1994

It's actually a pretty mediocre fightstick a friend sold me for $10, but modded with sanwa buttons and a seimitsu stick. The stick and buttons replacements cost me more than the damn thing, now that I think about it.
The SFIV fight stick isn't that bad, actually. I used to use one on 360 back when the game first came out. The parts are a bit cheap, though, especially when compared to the Tournament Edition counterparts. The ease of customization is really that sticks bread and butter. Very easy to open and swap out buttons / sticks. I eventually upgraded to a non modded TE fight stick. I play a lot of fighting games on DC with my Green Goblin and I ducking love that thing. It ranks very high on people's lists due to its quality. If you can ever find one of those, I'd recommend you snag it up. While it's not as easy to customize, it's definitely better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odo

@Shoulder

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know, but I think Xenoblade Chronicles is a work of an entire life. It's a magna work.

I'm getting through it and when I thought all the wow factors are over, more and more came.

This is the best RPG I've ever played.

Its story is extraordinary. It deservers an Oscar or something. The characters and the drama work perfectly.

I don't know who is the guy behind the story, behind the OST, I don't know if all is a work of a man (Takahashi) or a team.

But if it's all Takahashi's work, I'd say that, its a life's work.

vs.

This should be fun.

Oh, right. Game on!

Big Blue Tho....

For real yo!!

@Shoulder

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know, but I think Xenoblade Chronicles is a work of an entire life. It's a magna work.

I'm getting through it and when I thought all the wow factors are over, more and more came.

This is the best RPG I've ever played.

Its story is extraordinary. It deservers an Oscar or something. The characters and the drama work perfectly.

I don't know who is the guy behind the story, behind the OST, I don't know if all is a work of a man (Takahashi) or a team.

But if it's all Takahashi's work, I'd say that, its a life's work.
Hahaha, Takahshi developed that game as an experiment, his magnum opus is about to release in a little less than a month over in japan.

Most of the best games come from experiments. Majora's masks is so good because they developed a solid base with Ocarina of time over 4 years and took an extra 2 to implement all the experimental ideas they had. Which is basically what's happening with Zelda U right now ( which is why its been delayed)

Takahashi's an ambitious kind of creator, half of the original projects he's directed had their budget cut halfway through. Xenosaga got fucked over by the second game with Namco trying to get their hands in his product, tanking the series reception and sales overall ( which they had to rush fix with 3. Still if you want to play a good Xenosaga play the 1+2 version on the DS and then 3. Its still kind of rushed half baked Nieztsche inspired soap opera narrative to be honest). ( Takahashi was barely involved by the third game anyway)

In general,he's worked on some of the greatest rpg's ever developed, went through his own period of trials and tribulations, finally came home to like minded folk at Nintendo and is now intent on passing down the spirit of craft, the artisans touch, to the younger generation of video game developers ( along with Sakaguchi, Aonuma, Miyamoto,Iwata,Itagaki,Mikami,Kojima,Koizumi ect)

He took the battle designer from Chrono Trigger with him when he left Squaresoft btw.

These are some of my favorite Iwata Asks

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/xenoblade/0/0

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/xenoblade-chronicles-3d/0/0

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-Ask...Years/1-Reunion-After-Eight-Years-211179.html

Last edited:

EvilTw1n

No, you're right. the tech is clearly there, so it would've been nice to include wiimote controls on top of gamepad motion, and twin sticks. Going briefly to what you were saying about aim assists, I always turn them off, even on twin sticks, because I prefer to move my character, and not some assist. Whenever I've played COD with your guys on my Gamepad, I use DA without aim assists.

Btw, sticky aim? Is that purely for DA, or IR aiming as well? As I said, I always turn off assists. Are you saying, even though I have those options turned off, something is still assisting you?
Sticky (or slowdown) is for DA. There's a few youtube vids out there that show it off, some better than others (this is the first hit I found on youtube). It's relatively subtle, but is easily exploitable (quick scoping is the worst offender). That's the aim assist you can't turn off. So is the very narrow bullet spray cone that DA gets (the one or two-burst kills with the silencer at range are damn funny on that vid). And if there is any bullet magnetism at all (which there usually is) for your avatar, that isn't something you turn off. The aim assist you can turn off is what helps you "acquire targets." Snap aim, basically (on the few occasions my Wiimote has died during BO2, I've been able to find people through walls with it). DA doesn't get only one bit of programming help, it gets a few. That's why GoldenEye Wii was so interesting (the reticle spread for bullet spray seemed about equal between input methods, and boy could you wreck because of it).

On Wii U, they have tried to give the Wiimote more aim assist of its own (to combat the death ray smart DA players know how to use), but it pretty well does more harm than good. I forget if it was BO2 or Ghosts, but they did one patch for Wiimote controls that gave it more generous "acquire target" assist, and they then immediately took it out for being OP. Sticky aim is useless, because it messes up your aim more with IR (you need to have a completely linear cursor movement, or else the screen jerks around). So they seem to have settled on a sort of half-assed "acquire target" that works half the time and is better left turned off.

And that's OK. DA needs some assist to make it usable and competitive (what's kinda funny is how sore the COD community gets about it; I've read message boards filled with Halo players who are like "dude, why the shit would you turn aim assist off?"). I'm totally fine with that. We aren't marksmen, we're humans playing videogames, and "1337 skillz" mean dick, y'know?

TL;DR - Ain't nothin' wrong with either input scheme. One just needs a bit more help than the other to be competitive - no different than saying DA needs a bit of help versus a keyboard/mouse set up.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
probably, you'd end up playing the game with two controllers like I do in monhun, the wonderful 101 and pikmin 3
I would absolutely not do that, you're projecting yourself onto me. I played MHTri and MH3U with the CCPro for life, unless my Wiimote ran out of battery in the middle of a quest. Same for BLOPS and Ghosts, Wiimote for life unless I ran out of battery in the middle of a game. For games where I rely on having a strong performance I always stick with what I think is the best control method.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.

Damn dude, so wtf, are they laying you off? You need to work with people who can appreciate a goddamn blessing when they see it.

I would absolutely not do that, you're projecting yourself onto me. I played MHTri and MH3U with the CCPro for life, unless my Wiimote ran out of battery in the middle of a quest. Same for BLOPS and Ghosts, Wiimote for life unless I ran out of battery in the middle of a game. For games where I rely on having a strong performance I always stick with what I think is the best control method.
Uh you'd kinda have to though. As there are things on the touch you actually need to click on during gameplay

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Uh you'd kinda have to though. As there are things on the touch you actually need to click on during gameplay
Yeah on Splatoon I would, only because they made it that way unnecessarily. Remember I mentioned that I played BLOPS and Ghosts with my Wiimote while having my gamepad on a stand in front of me so I could see the map. I did the same for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, I moved all my HUD to the gamepad's screen so my main screen could look empty and beautiful. For Pikmin 3 as well, as little as I played it. I'd love to do the same for Splatoon: use my Wiimote+nunchuk as main control input, but have my gamepad in front of me on its stand (that's why it came with the Wii U Deluxe set, right?) so I can use the map and the touch functions whenever I need to.

And I'd actually like a clarification on this, but isn't the only use of the touchscreen on the gamepad to jump toward a teammate? And it can only be done from the spawn point, not from any point in the map? It could easily be mapped to a context sensitive menu that can only appear in the spawn point. The map can be set to appear on the screen when you press the 'minus' button, just like it's been done in console FPS like Battlefield and COD for so long. If there are other touchscreen mechanics that really can't be replicated on the other control methods, then that'd be different of course.

Goodtwin

The fights were epic over at the Call of Duty forums over the DA vs IR debate, and yea, a lot of DA players have no idea just how much assist is built in. It was Ghost that had generous snap for IR controls at one point, especially when using the ACOG scope. It was pretty brutal, if your cursor was within a few pixels of the enemy, and you went ADS, it was damn near Metroid Prime lock on. They took that away. The developers tried to find a balance, but honestly they were never able to make everyone happy. I dont think they really cared on Wii, since the Wii Remote was the primary control option, but with Wii U, the Gamepad was the primary control option, and wanted some parity. Its not like they added in more aim assist specifically for the Wii U versions, this as better perfected over on the 360 and PS3 for years. Go back and play COD 2 and COD 3 on the PC with a DA controller and you will realize how much less assist there was years ago.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
I love modding PC games to get rid of design decisions that annoy me.

Like with Kingdoms of Amalur - instead of the arbitrary and frankly woefully small inventory space of 70, my character now has the more reasonable yet still somewhat realistic inventory space of roughly ...

10 million.

Because fuck micro-management. I do it in enough games already.

praisegrima

EvilTw1n

Damn dude, so wtf, are they laying you off? You need to work with people who can appreciate a goddamn blessing when they see it.
Not right now (I work for a business separate from the main client, so my boss has to drop me, not the client), but the wheels are in motion. 6 months, give or take, and I think they'll absorb my duties.

But...

Just the way things are, y'know?

(And sometimes a little discomfort is good for you, anyways. I've gotten way too comfortable in this sucky job, just because it keeps a roof over my head.)
And I'd actually like a clarification on this, but isn't the only use of the touchscreen on the gamepad to jump toward a teammate? And it can only be done from the spawn point, not from any point in the map? It could easily be mapped to a context sensitive menu that can only appear in the spawn point. The map can be set to appear on the screen when you press the 'minus' button, just like it's been done in console FPS like Battlefield and COD for so long. If there are other touchscreen mechanics that really can't be replicated on the other control methods, then that'd be different of course.
If that's the main GamePad function, you could just map that to minus on the Wiimote to pull up a transparent map, then point with IR to where you want to go.
The fights were epic over at the Call of Duty forums over the DA vs IR debate, and yea, a lot of DA players have no idea just how much assist is built in. It was Ghost that had generous snap for IR controls at one point, especially when using the ACOG scope. It was pretty brutal, if your cursor was within a few pixels of the enemy, and you went ADS, it was damn near Metroid Prime lock on. They took that away. The developers tried to find a balance, but honestly they were never able to make everyone happy. I dont think they really cared on Wii, since the Wii Remote was the primary control option, but with Wii U, the Gamepad was the primary control option, and wanted some parity. Its not like they added in more aim assist specifically for the Wii U versions, this as better perfected over on the 360 and PS3 for years. Go back and play COD 2 and COD 3 on the PC with a DA controller and you will realize how much less assist there was years ago.
Very true. The difference with Wii vs. Wii U ports of COD was that one was torn apart and remade specifically for the Wii, while the other just ported over a nearly-intact 360 game. With the Wii, they focused mainly on IR controls and getting them right. With the Wii U, they brought in the DA scheme that had been years in the making and had to balance it versus another input scheme that didn't exist on 360.

I don't mean to take away from people who are good with sticks, though. I suck with them (pointer controls are simply far more intuitive for me). You still gotta practice to be proficient with dual analog. It's just that there's some more help to get you proficient along the way.
Here is the latest screenshot taken as of last night:

So this is a completely bespoke engine? I look forward to seeing what you create. :mthumb:

What's the aesthetic you're going for in something like the overhead action game? Retro 16-bit, or more modern?

Aki

So, what's up CT? Just posting from work. Gonna go home soon and do some stuff. Probably gonna nap and continue playing some Ferrari F355 Challenge on Dreamcast or DK:TF. That Ferrari game is epic. Great simulator with great graphics. Also, I just recently cleared the World 2 boss in DK who was giving me so much trouble. World 3 is pretty dope. Love the music and the swaying trees.

@juegosmajicos: What system do you play SFIV on? We should get some games in sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.