Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've watched this about 20 times now, discussed and cussed it with some jerks around the internet and have come away more optimistic.
It's its own thing. Its not what I was expecting but its also not what I thought it was at first glance. I think it can be more successful because of it.
I also missed a few neat visuals in the trailer that seem pretty cool.

also the title in Japan doesnt have SMT in the title at all so that needs to be fixed so that people here dont get the wrong impression (like I did).

So the new Fire Emblem is coming out in two versions with a third story arc being DLC

http://www.destructoid.com/fire-emb...eparate-black-and-white-versions-289891.phtml

Each version of the game will feature different characters and stories. Japan is talking about getting bundles together for all three stories and shit, but fuck, I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, it reminds me Golden Sun 1 and 2, but still....gotta buy 2 games and DLC to get the full story.

Looks like Nintendo is jumping on that bandwagon alright.

So the new Fire Emblem is coming out in two versions with a third story arc being DLC

http://www.destructoid.com/fire-emb...eparate-black-and-white-versions-289891.phtml

Each version of the game will feature different characters and stories. Japan is talking about getting bundles together for all three stories and shit, but fuck, I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, it reminds me Golden Sun 1 and 2, but still....gotta buy 2 games and DLC to get the full story.

Looks like Nintendo is jumping on that bandwagon alright.
you dont get a choice, they're gonna bring it all here in one package.

So I've watched this about 20 times now, discussed and cussed it with some jerks around the internet and have come away more optimistic.
It's its own thing. Its not what I was expecting but its also not what I thought it was at first glance. I think it can be more successful because of it.

also the title in Japan doesnt have SMT in the title at all so that needs to be fixed so that people here dont get the wrong impression (like I did).
some hot cameos

Also the younger version of Tiki is displayed pretty prominently in it.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Weird. So, when I go to the store to pick it up, I guess there will only be one game called Fire Emblem: Extreme Waifu Edition (or whatever). But if I want the other path, I have to buy that DLC pack?

And buy more DLC for the third story arc?

Still weird, and a bit confusing.
Sorta. I think the third story-line comes with the DLC pack but don't quote me on that

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/04/0...ist-working-shin-megami-tensei-x-fire-emblem/
ATLUS,CO.,LTD.
Illusory Revelations ♯ Fire Emblem – Producer
Shinjiro Takada

Greetings!

It’s nice to meet all of you, or shall I say, see all of you again. This is Shinjiro Takada from ATLUS. Usually, I am responsible for working on the Devil Survivor* series, but this time, I was tasked with working on the production for the upcoming crossover title “Illusory Revelations ♯ Fire Emblem*”

After over two long years of keeping you waiting, we felt it was finally time to showcase this game. Did you have a look at the new PV*?

This is the result of our collaboration work on the “Fire Emblem” series. I think many people will find it quite different than they had originally expected. Originally, it was very challenging for us to get the “Fire Emblem” aspect into the game, but we worked carefully with Nintendo to ensure it’d work well and deliver the feeling you get from the series.
But, “as long as development of this title conforms with what Intelligent Systems originally would have wanted, and ATLUS develops it and triumphs through it, then ATLUS’ work is good.”

It was following that that we were able to come to our conclusion and settle on the concept for this project. As a result of this, “Illusory Revelations ♯ Fire Emblem” follows the basic axis of what I would say are “Realistic characters who suffer from many conflicts and worries in modern-day Japan” in this RPG. It was capturing the feeling of “Fire Emblem” that was the real challenge during the development of this concept, as this is a collaboration.

In this PV, many people may find it hard to understand where the essence of “Fire Emblem” comes into play. However, this will be explained more in the future, so please wait for a follow-up to this.

The character designs that would become the face of this project were designed by toi8*, who we had requested to assist us. Even though “Illusory Revelations ♯ Fire Emblem” follows its own world and has a touch of fresh colors and poppy visuals, we wanted to make it easy to get into the world of this game, while still making it look refined and familiar for those who are fans of the series.

Although only four characters appear in the spotlight of this PV, there are more characters (some of which make a quick appearance in the PV) prepared for the future, so please stay tuned!

It should also be noted that “Illusory Revelations ♯ Fire Emblem” has given us the opportunity to work with other developers. This time, in the first edition of this creators’ blog, you got to hear comments from me, the top batter of the project. But, we have interviews planned with other ATLUS staff and developers in the future, so we hope everyone will enjoy it!

While development has finally reached its climax, and we are celebrating that, there is still a ways to go. We are working hard on to bring this game to you with our staff. However, there is still some work to be done, so this game will be released this winter. We thank you for your patience, and hope to make a project with our team that everyone can enjoy!

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
Previously on MANGANian: My 3DS broke. Went on a treasure hunt to search for the right screwdriver....and I bought the wrong one. (Season finale quality right here)

Currently on MANGANian: It lives! My 3DS is working again! Can't get inside the casing, then why not try to influence the inside by doing stuff to it on the outside? The wifi feature no longer works though, so I guess when it fell the wireless chip got loose and then proceeded to mess everything else up. Well, at least it's better than being bricked. Would cry salty tears if the Hoopa quest gets released before I patch it up.

Last edited:

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.

Nice to know, but the game still looks more like Persona than Shin Megami Tensei or Fire Emblem.
I don't think it's unfair that the first impression for many was "it's Persona X FE," but hey, that'll do. Persona is probably the most well-known SMT spin-off. And perhaps there's some intricacies here and there that can't be shown off in a 2-minute trailer.

I dunno. I'm just too elated that the game actually exists to complain. I thought it had become vaporware.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
So SMT x FE simultaneously confirmed as dead and alive? ;)

Interesting to hear that there's no SMT branding in the Japanese title. SMT x FE really does look in retrospect like little more than a project concept teaser that was either clumsily presented at the outset or evolved into something differing from the range of audience expectations inevitably formed in response to that initial teaser.

I wonder if yesterday's trailer captured the entire tonal spirit of the game or if it presented a curated slice of one side of the story/world? (ie how dark does it go? what questions/themes does it explore or is it more fan-service? - it suggests it anticipates a "mature" rating despite the more all ages trailer shown here). I also want to watch the combat section again, see how much we can glean from that.

@FriedShoes - you've been re-watching it, are you able to make an educated guess on any facets of the combat system? I didn't catch any evidence of a demon fusion system or a tactical consideration of character placement on grids (or at all), but it does look like you enter a cut-away combat screen that is more than Fire Emblem's cut scene representation of the action one has already selected for the encounter on the grid. I'm seeing a small team and what suggests an active system of actions or turns in that cut away combat arena.

Last edited:

MANGANian

I love the way it looks, but I'm gonna keep my hype abated. This is arguably the most different of anything Nintendo tried save for Platinum's Wonderful 101. Experiments like this can go either way. It was so left-field though. I never saw it coming.

Yep I see what you mean.

As I said in the other thread it's more Persona with Fire Emblem characters than FE x SMT. Personally I'm not a Persona fan, but I wasn't a Fire Emblem fan before Awakening either. So this game could make me a fan of the Persona series.
I dont see how this would make you a fan of persona considering it looks nothing like it.

Looks more like something Compile Heart or Gust shat out on an off day.

I hate terrible pop music.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
Looks more like something Compile Heart or Gust shat out on an off day.

I hate terrible pop music.
What you're saying is a concern worth saying out loud (if I understood you correctly).

I want to see more, I'm withholding any kind of judgement until I do, and I am excited it still exists - but honestly this does reset my commitment to the title. I'll be watching it closely to see if this is a more superficial, generic fan-service romp (ie Project X Zone) or an original, well-crafted experience with some depth.

Last edited:
So SMT x FE simultaneously confirmed as dead and alive? ;)

Interesting to hear that there's no SMT branding in the Japanese title. SMT x FE really does look in retrospect like little more than a project concept teaser that was either clumsily presented at the outset or evolved into something differing from the range of audience expectations inevitably formed in response to that initial teaser.

I wonder if yesterday's trailer captured the entire tonal spirit of the game or if it presented a curated slice of one side of the story/world? (ie how dark does it go? what questions/themes does it explore or is it more fan-service? - it suggests it anticipates a "mature" rating despite the more all ages trailer shown here). I also want to watch the combat section again, see how much we can glean from that.

@FriedShoes - you've been re-watching it, are you able to make an educated guess on any facets of the combat system? I didn't catch any evidence of a demon fusion system or a tactical consideration of character placement on grids (or at all), but it does look like you enter a cut-away combat screen that is more than Fire Emblem's cut scene representation of the action one has already selected for the encounter on the grid. I'm seeing a small team and what suggests an active system of actions or turns in that cut away combat arena.
I have no clue. The scenes themselves are reminiscent of Persona games (just from my limited scope, dont know about Compile Hearts and the like) but there seem to be no Persona or Demon looking things at all, and all the characters are using very obvious Fire Emblem attacks. The only instance of something resembling Personas is near a minute in when something fades in behind an assumed enemy and maybe the lancer behind the guy riding the bike. So maybe instead the demons/personas are replace by these FE people. For enemies, they also seem ripped from Fire Emblem as well.
As to how you encounter these scenes, well, no clues there as well. I imagine it'll be the typical way of crawling around a dungeon or area and initiating attacks with blobs. Even though the producer is the same guy behind Devil Survivor, I dont think they will implement a grid system with strategic placement. But we dont know. At the moment, the whole thing LOOKS like something but isnt.

So i just finished catching up on yesterday's Direct. At times i felt like it was really a terrible convoluted April fools, revealing so many fan-wet-dream announcements. Lucas for the people who've been crying for Lucas, Project Zero on the Wii U for everybody who figured out 3 years ago that Gamepad as camera = win, 200cc and early release for DLC pack 2, SMTxFE lives, holy crap that Yoshi amiibo, N64 VC...

All in all, a way better Direct than expected. What's everybody else's reaction?

MANGANian

Question though: would anyone be voting in a Smash Character? While my first thought was Rayman, I'm thinking Wonder Red should get the spotlight, no, Wonder Red deserves the spotlight.

So i just finished catching up on yesterday's Direct. At times i felt like it was really a terrible convoluted April fools, revealing so many fan-wet-dream announcements. Lucas for the people who've been crying for Lucas, Project Zero on the Wii U for everybody who figured out 3 years ago that Gamepad as camera = win, 200cc and early release for DLC pack 2, SMTxFE lives, holy crap that Yoshi amiibo, N64 VC...

All in all, a way better Direct than expected. What's everybody else's reaction?
DS vc

Question though: would anyone be voting in a Smash Character? While my first thought was Rayman, I'm thinking Wonder Red should get the spotlight, no, Wonder Red deserves the spotlight.
Trying to pick between Viewtiful Joe,Wonder Red, Bayonetta,Ray(Disaster Day of Crisis),Django(Botkai),Ephraim,Tiki/Panne(Fire Emblem),Issac/Felix(golden sun),MomoHime/Kisuke(Muramasa),Aeron(Pandora's Tower),Kalas/Sagi(Baten kaitos), or Elma(XenoX) is hard

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Tell y'all what that and the N64 was the very last things that I would ever get pumped about.

Why? Because they have years and years and decades and years of games that should easily be on VC and aren't.

The day I get pumped about the VC is this day. When Nintendo dumps every single game they got on VC at one time. Which shouldn't be a biggie for real.

Aki

Just started watching the Nintendo Direct from yesterday, @BobSilencieux will post my opinion once I'm done. With that being said, Iwata looks like he's gonna kick the bucket any second now. His one eye looks really messed up as well.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Previously on MANGANian: My 3DS broke. Went on a treasure hunt to search for the right screwdriver....and I bought the wrong one. (Season finale quality right here)

Currently on MANGANian: It lives! My 3DS is working again! Can't get inside the casing, then why not try to influence the inside by doing stuff to it on the outside? The wifi feature no longer works though, so I guess when it fell the wireless chip got loose and then proceeded to mess everything else up. Well, at least it's better than being bricked. Would cry salty tears if the Hoopa quest gets released before I patch it up.
"Honey, I finally bought the screwdriver for the 3DS."
"Excellent, honey. Let's do this!"
*begins to work on 3DS*
"Uh-oh"
"What is it, honey?"
"Darling, this is the wrong screwdriver. We bought the wrong one!"

*Dun dun DUN!*

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Or Shovel knight

Japan's probably going to vote for Monster Hunter. Hope they go with the lance user LOL.
Thank you for reminding who I wanted to vote for. A monster hunter would be a great character. It's different costumes would be different armor sets, and its attacks could be different weapon attacks, e.g. a side smash would be the great sword charge attack while an upsmash would be the hammer upswing, and so on. Rathian and Rathalos would show up for the final smash.

Or instead of having armor sets as different costumes, they could be like Shulk's monado powers, in that the hunter switches armor sets to get different skills like Attack Up (L) or Focus (faster smash attacks).

The possibilities are endless.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.

My reaction was pretty much the same. I had no high expectations (for once), and got pleasantly surprised.

'Twas a very Japanese Direct (SMTxFE, Fatal Frame, Attack on Titan), and that's a-ok by me. Splatoon even got me a bit more optimistic.

HOW IN THE HELL ARE YALL NOT VOTING FOR WONDER RED!?!?!?!

:mfacepalm:
ha, in truth I havent decided yet, although I better see this girl in the next Smash Bros game.
I only want to vote once though I'm sure you can vote multiple times, and I probably will do that but for my first pick its still up in the air. I want to see another villain, I think someone like King K.Rool would be a cool addition. I'm also on the Wonder Red train, as well as the Bayonetta one. I'll probably go with croc.

Status
Not open for further replies.